Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-21-2016, 09:52 PM   #701
Jas_lov
College Starter

Trump said he would get the biggest stars and ended up with Baio. That's why they were making fun of him.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:53 PM   #702
korme
Go Reds

There is no substance in this speech. Just way too many words and empty promises.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:54 PM   #703
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
There is no substance in this speech. Just way too many words and empty promises.

So basically his entire campaign shrunk down into one speech?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:05 PM   #704
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Like the stability and sovereignty of our key trading partners, also known as markets for our goods & services?

I never said I didn't agree with this. However, they do need to pay for their own defense.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:09 PM   #705
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Wait, are we really talking trash about NATO after the US invokes article 51 after 9/11 and every NATO country provided aid in the attack against Afghanistan? To now back away when others are at risk is really shitty. What, a we got ours so screw you attitude to our allies? That will really help us in making alliances in that future...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I don't think this is what he will actually do. There are many member states that are not adequately funding their military, I think he is trying to scare them over it.

I do find it ironic that many that are complaining about the Russian threat are those who scoffed at Romney 4 years ago when he said Russia was the major threat to world peace.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:12 PM   #706
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Russia still isn't the biggest threat we face, but giving them carte blanche in the Baltic is still a terrible idea.

So much of Trump's appeal seems to rely on believing he doesn't actually mean what he says, but what if he's telling the truth? The worst case trump presidency probably won't happen, but it might. Are you willing to take that chance?
Old 07-21-2016, 10:17 PM   #707
digamma
Torchbearer

We're coming up on an hour and I have no idea what Trump would do other than wave a magic wand to make me safe and rich. Where do I sign up?

Oh and build a wall.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:26 PM   #708
digamma
Torchbearer

All we have to do is believe.

There's no place like home.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:43 PM   #709
cuervo72
Head Coach

So...was my wife's observation that Trump thanked all of his family individually for their great speeches except for Tiffany correct?
Old 07-21-2016, 10:59 PM   #710
cuervo72
Head Coach

Also, how do the other CNN commentators not collectively bum-rush Jeffrey Lord?

edit: actually, Ana Navarro just might...

Last edited by cuervo72 : 07-21-2016 at 11:03 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:30 PM   #711
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The girl from Neighbors 2 that much better?

Um, yes. Is that a serious question?

Democrats have no problem with celebrities in politics. It's Republicans who always complain about that, but then trot out C-list celebrities whenever they can. Also, Baio was rightly taken to task for preaching traditional values, but then calling Hillary a "cunt".

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:37 PM   #712
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

Democrats have no problem with celebrities in politics. It's Republicans who always complain about that, but then trot out C-list celebrities whenever they can. Also, Baio was rightly taken to task for preaching traditional values, but then calling Hillary a "cunt".

So I don't get it. Are you guys saying yay actors or no please no actors? Put me in the second camp. I could not care less what some vain glory hound with good look genes says to us all about politics, no matter what side of the aisle he takes. And I struggle to understand why any other rational human being would.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 07-21-2016 at 11:38 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:38 PM   #713
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
then calling Hillary a "cunt".

Yeah, that's really unfair ... to the word.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:41 PM   #714
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
So I don't get it. Are you guys saying yay actors or no please no actors? Put me in the second camp. I could not care less what so vain glory hound with good look genes says to us all about politics, no matter what side of the aisle he takes. And I struggle to understand why any other rational human being would.

A person's profession or attractiveness has literally zero percent to do with my reaction to their political thoughts.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:50 PM   #715
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Would totally vote for Ivanka.

I am torn. She is, or at least was, totally self absorbed to the point where it detracted from attractiveness.... But damn...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:54 PM   #716
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
A person's profession or attractiveness has literally zero percent to do with my reaction to their political thoughts.

Good for you?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:56 PM   #717
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

As for his speech. At least he stayed on script and didn't turn it I to a Springer show like most of his appearances. Still waiting for the plans he was going to detail.

Just an observation but did his wife looked bored out of her mind? She barely reacted whenever they cut to the family and at best gave him a golf clap a couple times.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:02 AM   #718
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
As for his speech. At least he stayed on script and didn't turn it I to a Springer show like most of his appearances. Still waiting for the plans he was going to detail.

Just an observation but did his wife looked bored out of her mind? She barely reacted whenever they cut to the family and at best gave him a golf clap a couple times.

She's got confused cuz she thought the Don was going to use Obama's 2008 nomination acceptance speech.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:03 AM   #719
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Good for you?

Huh? Simply explaining why I don't care if it's an actor.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:05 AM   #720
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Huh? Simply explaining why I don't care if it's an actor.

But you and others were discussing the "quality" of each party's actor choices to give speeches. So I have no idea now why that discussion even happened.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:28 AM   #721
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

People on the left mocked Baio for being a washed up actor and the RNC for letting him speak during their convention. That it was pathetic to have Scott Baio as a voice for your party.

Nothing wrong with that stance. Just think you look a bit hypocritical not saying the same when the DNC brings in Lena Dunham and others.

And I'm not talking about you specifically. I'm talking about most of the media and political commentators who made it into a joke.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:33 AM   #722
RainMaker
General Manager

I mean nothing screams party of the working class like mocking a guy for not being a wealthy and successful enough.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:56 AM   #723
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Wait, you mean he's not going to end crime and violence???

Donald Trump at RNC full Speech. July 21, 2016. Republican National Convention. Cleveland, Ohio. - YouTube

(4:09)

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 07-22-2016 at 04:56 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:18 AM   #724
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Would totally vote for Ivanka.

Is that what the kids are calling it these days?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:26 AM   #725
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
So...was my wife's observation that Trump thanked all of his family individually for their great speeches except for Tiffany correct?

I thought he just said Melania and totally hot Ivanka. I may have missed the reference to the young studs, but definitely no Tif.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:26 AM   #726
RainMaker
General Manager

Thinking through last night, it's interesting how far to the left things are moving for the Republican party on certain issues. Trump trashed NAFTA and other trade agreements that you usually only see far left politicians do. You had a gay man get on stage and tell the party to stop with the culture wars and it got cheers. Ivanka talked about equal pay for women.

I mean Trump didn't give a single plan for how he was going to do all the things he promised, but it was a much more populous message than we normally see from the GOP. Media will hate it but I think outside that bubble working class people will eat it up.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:47 PM   #727
Thomkal
Head Coach

Donald Trump Threatens the Ghostwriter of “The Art of the Deal” - The New Yorker
Old 07-22-2016, 12:52 PM   #728
Thomkal
Head Coach

Ex-KKK leader David Duke announces Senate run for La. seat
Old 07-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #729
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
So I was very interested to hear that one of the speakers tonight is going to be Peter Thiel, openly gay co-founder of Pay Pal and a Republican. He's apparantly going to take the RNC to task for their anti-gay plank in the platform and stance over the years towards gays. Be interested to see how the crowd reacts, especially if he comes right after Jerry Falwell Jr.

What’s up with all the gay rights shout-outs at the Republican convention? - The Washington Post

well crowd reacted better than I thought they would, but that was warming them up for four minutes on Donald Trump:

Peter Thiel's entire Republican convention speech - YouTube
Old 07-22-2016, 03:02 PM   #730
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thinking through last night, it's interesting how far to the left things are moving for the Republican party on certain issues. Trump trashed NAFTA and other trade agreements that you usually only see far left politicians do. You had a gay man get on stage and tell the party to stop with the culture wars and it got cheers. Ivanka talked about equal pay for women.

I mean Trump didn't give a single plan for how he was going to do all the things he promised, but it was a much more populous message than we normally see from the GOP. Media will hate it but I think outside that bubble working class people will eat it up.

I think it's more of a sign that people don't give a shit about policy, they vote based on affinity. The same people that cheered Theil are fine with a platform that says the opposite. The same people that cheered protectionism cheered free trade four years ago. The same people that want America First wanted an interventionist policy four years ago.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:01 PM   #731
RainMaker
General Manager

The U.S. media has predictably ignored it (although it does seem to be getting international press), but Wikileaks put out the 20,000 e-mails from the DNC.

WikiLeaks (@wikileaks) | Twitter

Most of the interesting stuff is in regards to Bernie who the DNC was actively campaigning against. They wanted to paint him as an Atheist in evangelical states. Encouraged Super PAC to go after Sanders supporters online. Bunch of other stuff where they linked stuff to the press to make him look bad.

Also was fascinated reading through some of the stuff with the media. Politico was running stories by the DNC first. Washington Post agreed to not write some stuff about fundraising. And they really went hard after MSNBC to stop bashing Wasserman-Shultz for her bias in the primary.

Figured this would be a bigger story but I understand why media outlets don't cover it.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:23 PM   #732
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Figured this would be a bigger story but I understand why media outlets don't cover it.

Doesn't fit the story they want to tell.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:30 PM   #733
RainMaker
General Manager

Also this made me laugh.

WikiLeaks - Search the DNC email database
Old 07-22-2016, 07:16 PM   #734
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Tim Kaine is the VP pick for Clinton.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:16 PM   #735
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Looks like Clinton has selected Senator Tim Kaine for VP. A conservative choice, to be sure, but a smart one, I think.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2016, 08:27 PM   #736
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Tim Kaine is the VP pick for Clinton.

I'm guessing FOFC is going to go crazy over a Mizzou grad for VP!

Last edited by panerd : 07-22-2016 at 08:27 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:07 AM   #737
Izulde
Head Coach

And Hillary says fuck you to the progressive wing.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:34 AM   #738
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post

She probably believes that she has their vote already so there's no need to pander to them with the vp pick.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:39 AM   #739
Izulde
Head Coach

Oh, I see the sense in it. It's a safe pick that won't disrupt her message (pro-TPP and all that) and gets a white dude on the ticket.

But by the same token, in this election cycle, relying on lesser of two evils to bring in the furthest wings of the party is a dangerous gamble IMO.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:35 AM   #740
RainMaker
General Manager

It's fascinating to see the Democratic candidate supporting TPP and the Republican candidate against it.

As much as I dislike Trump and find him clueless on so many topics, I'd almost consider voting for him if he wasn't anti-net neutrality.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:21 AM   #741
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Jeez, a pro-lifer as VP pick.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:58 AM   #742
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I'm guessing FOFC is going to go crazy over a Mizzou grad for VP!

Oh, he's not just any Mizzou grad. He's a turncoat. Between this and the Wikileaks, it appears the DNC may out-WWE the Republicans before all is said and done.

Tim Kaine, A Mizzou Grad, Roots For The Kansas Jayhawks
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:50 AM   #743
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

And Donald Trump got one last fuck you in on Elizabeth Warren, tweeting about how "Pocohantas" didn't get the VP pick.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:09 AM   #744
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
And Donald Trump got one last fuck you in on Elizabeth Warren, tweeting about how "Pocohantas" didn't get the VP pick.

I'm imagine that Hillary will be giving her a nice cabinet spot for her continued campaign against Trump
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:12 AM   #745
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Jeez, a pro-lifer as VP pick.

Personally pro-life, but supports a woman's right to choose. That describes a lot of people in the party, even on the progressive wing.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:57 AM   #746
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I'm imagine that Hillary will be giving her a nice cabinet spot for her continued campaign against Trump

yeah probably, but she might be more helpful/useful as a bulldog in the Senate.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:08 AM   #747
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

That would be very unwise for the party to do
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:08 AM   #748
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Aside from TPP, Kaine has a pretty solid progressive record. I imagine that's going to be highlighted in the coming weeks.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:09 AM   #749
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
That would be very unwise for the party to do

Should be okay as long as they lock Coakley in a closet until the qualifying deadline passes.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:18 AM   #750
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Oh, I see the sense in it. It's a safe pick that won't disrupt her message (pro-TPP and all that) and gets a white dude on the ticket.

But by the same token, in this election cycle, relying on lesser of two evils to bring in the furthest wings of the party is a dangerous gamble IMO.

I think it is also about keeping some on the moderate-right at bay.

My wife dislikes Clinton. But, she really dislikes Trump, too. I'm not sure if she's going to bother on election day or not. But Warren? For whatever reason, she really can't stand Warren. The double-shot of her and Clinton would probably move her to vote Trump (TWO opinionated women who won't keep their voices down?!?). Not that it much matters in MD, but if folks from swing states have similar thoughts, who knows.