Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-23-2024, 12:00 AM   #7751
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I highly recommend watching some videos to see if its for you.

It was,I'm almost certain, watching Vormithrax play this extensively that kept my money in my pocket. The randomness of combat movement that occurs off-screen so you never know whether the game is simply outright just cheating to win (simplified explanation), it was just too much for me. Literally turns most of the ultimate outcomes into RNG (at best) and no amount of skill overcomes that if the AI decides "oh, your last enemy had another 20 units juuuuuust off screen ... they're know on your border"

Thanks - that was really useful. I was in two minds, as there were a few nagging doubts, and that reinforced those doubts (and added a couple more!)

I’ll pass for now but follow in case of major update/sequel.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2024, 12:03 AM   #7752
AlexB
Pro Starter

Dola, I did pick up Journey of Wrestling though, which after playing around with a couple of trial runs I think I like the dynamics of enough to give it a proper go.

Like a simplified TEW (or a more developed and streamlined version of another game I played years ago call Extreme Wrestling Revolution or similar - it might have even been the precursor to TEW IIRC)
Old 07-23-2024, 06:45 PM   #7753
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Thanks - that was really useful. I was in two minds, as there were a few nagging doubts, and that reinforced those doubts (and added a couple more!)

I’ll pass for now but follow in case of major update/sequel.
I really liked it as a Civ/CK cross where you stay in a cool time period instead of pretty quickly skipping past it and racing to more modern units and tech, but like Civ and CK it also bogs down as you get later in the game and you've built up enough "orders" you either don't use them all many turns or you can do those blitz attacks "from off screen" under the fog of war. Looks like it's had a lot of DLC released, I wouldn't expect any major updates, but maybe just wait for a real sale - I think I got it under $20 pre or at release on Epic idk why the base game price is so sticky on Steam. Even if you just treat it kind of as a Civ scenario there's enough different and pretty cool mechanics it's worth a few starts and run throughs... not like I ever finish my Civ games anyways, the fun is the start and exploration. I thought this one did a really good job with the RPG elements and making family decisions or choosing which place to expand to in the early game/which houses to support feel like real choices that mattered, if I cared enough to look there might even be a Mod available that limits the orders later and keeps that tension.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2024, 07:06 PM   #7754
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

BTW, speaking of TEW, TEW IX (they've dropped the year and just went with the release number)
Old 07-23-2024, 08:21 PM   #7755
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Yeah, we don't do a new wrestling game every year (they are like presidential elections and every 4 years - 2016, 2020, 2024), so using the year made it seem like people were using an out-dated version a few years in.

Adam has been doing a Dev diary with all the changes if people are interested:
https://forum.greydogsoftware.com/to...opers-journal/

Last edited by Arles : 07-23-2024 at 08:22 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2024, 10:01 AM   #7756
Thomkal
Head Coach

Play Fallout 4 not in New Vegas, but London-a totally modded version of Fallout 4: Game of the Year Edition is out today and free if you own that version already. The link will take you to GOG.com where you claim it.

IMPORTANT: There are instructions on this page to take you to instructions for what to do if you have the game on Steam. Please look at the section labelled A Polite Disclaimer where it tells you about what this mod will do to your base game, so probably not what you want to deal with if you have a Fallout 4 game ongoing,

RATING / ESRB / A
Old 07-25-2024, 12:29 PM   #7757
Thomkal
Head Coach

Dead by Daylight has a free weekend on Steam
Old 07-27-2024, 04:50 AM   #7758
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Dola, I did pick up Journey of Wrestling though, which after playing around with a couple of trial runs I think I like the dynamics of enough to give it a proper go.

Like a simplified TEW (or a more developed and streamlined version of another game I played years ago call Extreme Wrestling Revolution or similar - it might have even been the precursor to TEW IIRC)

After playing a lot this week, I’ve worked out the simplicity of JoW is also it’s downfall - it’s very addictive, fun to play, but ultimately too easy to get on a roll. If the game gets a tiny bit more depth without losing what makes it fun ATM it will be absolute gold!

Has whetted my appetite though, and very handy that TEW drops soon!
Old 07-29-2024, 02:45 PM   #7759
Thomkal
Head Coach

For a limited time get Jackbox Games, Drawful 2 for free on Steam
Old 08-01-2024, 12:28 PM   #7760
Thomkal
Head Coach

Free weekend of Myth of Empires, a multiplayer war sandbox game mixing survival, crafting, and leading troops into battle on Steam
Old 08-02-2024, 02:59 PM   #7761
Thomkal
Head Coach

Humble Bundle out with a new digital tabletop bundle out with some pretty good games for $18 if you want the full bundle-Wingspan, Dune Imperium,, Sagrada, Terraforming Mars (and 2 DLC), Root, Everdell, Munchkin, Quilts and cats of Calico, Scythe
Old 08-03-2024, 05:11 PM   #7762
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Yeah, we don't do a new wrestling game every year (they are like presidential elections and every 4 years - 2016, 2020, 2024), so using the year made it seem like people were using an out-dated version a few years in.

Adam has been doing a Dev diary with all the changes if people are interested:
https://forum.greydogsoftware.com/to...opers-journal/
TEW IX has been released, you guys can check it out here if you are interested:

Home - Grey Dog Software
Old 08-05-2024, 02:59 PM   #7763
Thomkal
Head Coach

The Star Trek version of Stellaris, Star Trek:Infinite is 50% off or $15 on steam
Old 08-05-2024, 03:09 PM   #7764
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
The Star Trek version of Stellaris, Star Trek:Infinite is 50% off or $15 on steam

Such a screwy clusterfuck that turned out to be. Released and abandoned a mere five months afterwards. How they managed to botch it so badly feels like a heck of a headscratcher.
Old 08-07-2024, 09:04 AM   #7765
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
TEW IX has been released, you guys can check it out here if you are interested:

Home - Grey Dog Software

This version really does feel like it's taken a big step forward by introducing ideas and concepts that work better in a game than maybe they would in real life. It has taken a big step forward as a GAME in my opinion.

And really after playing this series for 25 years I've done all the fantasy booking I could ever want to do. At this point I just want to be entertained, and this is doing a MUCH better job than 2020 did in that regard.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 10:13 AM   #7766
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Such a screwy clusterfuck that turned out to be. Released and abandoned a mere five months afterwards. How they managed to botch it so badly feels like a heck of a headscratcher.

yeah you would have thought Star Trek added would have been an near instant hit.
Old 08-07-2024, 10:22 AM   #7767
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
This version really does feel like it's taken a big step forward by introducing ideas and concepts that work better in a game than maybe they would in real life. It has taken a big step forward as a GAME in my opinion.

And really after playing this series for 25 years I've done all the fantasy booking I could ever want to do. At this point I just want to be entertained, and this is doing a MUCH better job than 2020 did in that regard.

I have watch some people play this on Youtube, and it does seem to have amazing depth. If I weren't just bored to death of text sims it would be tempting.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 10:54 AM   #7768
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I actually really enjoyed his World of MMA games, but could never get past determining the outcomes of the matches in TEW, I wanted to be surprised by the results, not surprised by the crowd reaction to my predetermined outcomes (I need a kayfabe simulation). If the new version is more 'gamey' maybe I'll like it more...I'll check out the demo.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 08-07-2024 at 10:54 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 12:35 PM   #7769
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

you can always set no victor/loser note, and let the road agent determines who wins..
Old 08-07-2024, 12:48 PM   #7770
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I just don't think I can deal with the convoluted reworking of angles. That's got to be one of the most ill conceived constructions I've ever seen in a game of any kind.
Old 08-07-2024, 12:53 PM   #7771
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
you can always set no victor/loser note, and let the road agent determines who wins..

Good to know.
Old 08-07-2024, 01:13 PM   #7772
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I just don't think I can deal with the convoluted reworking of angles. That's got to be one of the most ill conceived constructions I've ever seen in a game of any kind.

Meh, I get it. I’m one of the ones that would book 2 angles in a row to accomplish what I wanted. This fixes it. I’m using it. I wish there was a way to cut down clicks but I understand the change.

All the different roles though, yea, I honestly don’t know what he was going with there especially since the help file says almost all of them are the same thing and it’s mostly cosmetic.
Old 08-07-2024, 01:15 PM   #7773
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Good to know.

It doesn’t work the way you want it to work though. The road agent will basically always pick the guy that has a higher perception in the company. If it’s the same the higher overness is the winner. Not exactly nail biting results like in WMMA.
Old 08-07-2024, 01:18 PM   #7774
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Meh, I get it. I’m one of the ones that would book 2 angles in a row to accomplish what I wanted.

And with the exception of maybe a turn or two, I'm not sure I've ever once booked 2 angles in a row for anything.

My head canon abstracted the angles stuff by & large. They never really ever meant anything to me other than a way to boost a show rating for a high Entertainment/Low ring skill guy.

And Will largely plays only Japanese (or J-styled) promotions any more in order to avoid having to deal with them at all. (and he's reached the decade mark with at least a couple of companies, so he plays way more than me anymore)
Old 08-07-2024, 01:45 PM   #7775
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Anything that makes it feel more like a game and/or makes it more difficult I’m all for. The new angle system lets you stop cheating the angle system for artificially high ratings, if you want, in a way the old system couldn’t do. If you choose not to it doesn’t seem like it would be too different to me. You can do one part, change nothing on the left side. Choose who you want in it and just set them to whatever, we can go with cutting a promo or hype the crowd for the people on screen and off screen for everyone else and you are good to go. It’s functionally the same angle system at that point.

Last edited by dubb93 : 08-07-2024 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-07-2024, 02:02 PM   #7776
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
It doesn’t work the way you want it to work though. The road agent will basically always pick the guy that has a higher perception in the company. If it’s the same the higher overness is the winner. Not exactly nail biting results like in WMMA.

That is also good to know.
Old 08-08-2024, 10:26 AM   #7777
Thomkal
Head Coach

Intravenous-a top-down stealth action fighter is free to claim at GoG.com over the next couple of days
Old 08-08-2024, 01:10 PM   #7778
Thomkal
Head Coach

Titanfall2 is 90% off or $4 on Steam, most (all?) of the Dragon Age games are 90% off too
Old 08-08-2024, 05:38 PM   #7779
21C
College Prospect

Always appreciate your work, Thomkal.
Old 08-08-2024, 08:03 PM   #7780
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
Always appreciate your work, Thomkal.

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2024, 01:36 PM   #7781
Thomkal
Head Coach

Humble Bundle out with a new RPG bundle featuring RPG's from Owlcat and Beamdog including their latest Warhammer 40,000:Rogue Trader, various Pathfinder games and season passes, and Balder's Gate 1 and 2, and Icewind Dale:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/b...masters_bundle
Old 08-15-2024, 12:17 PM   #7782
Thomkal
Head Coach

Steam with free weekend of Hunt: Showdown 1896
Old 08-16-2024, 07:59 PM   #7783
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:

Ok, I bit. I have been playing this for the last week, and I just can't get enough. I don't know crap about wrestling, yet I can't stop thinking about the this game and strategies and things I want to try. I really, really, really wish they could make the interface better. Other then that though it is shocking me how much fun I'm having with this.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2024, 12:17 PM   #7784
Thomkal
Head Coach

free weekends of Core Keeper and HellCard on Steam

Edit:Another free weekend of Diablo 4 too

Last edited by Thomkal : 08-22-2024 at 02:00 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2024, 12:52 PM   #7785
Thomkal
Head Coach

And with all the talk of Civ 7, another classic has entered early access on Steam:Heroes of Might and Magic:Olden Era

After ten long years, we’re finally getting a new Might and Magic game
Old 08-26-2024, 10:23 AM   #7786
Thomkal
Head Coach

Gog.com has a freebie to claim in the next 72 hours-Tropico 4
Old 08-26-2024, 03:43 PM   #7787
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
And with all the talk of Civ 7, another classic has entered early access on Steam:Heroes of Might and Magic:Olden Era

After ten long years, we’re finally getting a new Might and Magic game

Oh that is fantastic. Hope it doesn't bomb.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2024, 01:25 PM   #7788
Thomkal
Head Coach

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is free to play this weekend and 90% off if you like it on Steam

Hogwarts Legacy now at 70% off which seems a bit crazy for such a popular game

Last edited by Thomkal : 08-29-2024 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-03-2024, 09:22 AM   #7789
Thomkal
Head Coach

Once Upon a Jester is now free to claim at GoG.com for the next 46 hours

Last edited by Thomkal : 09-03-2024 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-03-2024, 09:35 AM   #7790
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone play the new Star Wars game? I see comparisons to Red Dead and I’m tempted but then I see people talk about how bad it runs (especially on PC where Ray Tracing cannot be turned off) and it makes me think I should just wait until it’s fixed and had a few discounts.
Old 09-03-2024, 10:19 AM   #7791
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

SomeOrdinaryGamers on YT said gameplay is bland and it'd be best to hold off until a discount

https://youtu.be/MGI26JTm5M0?si=jD7FU3ur9wRlDdlI

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 09-03-2024 at 10:20 AM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 04:15 PM   #7792
Thomkal
Head Coach

Sony is removing the game Concord, which just came out, from its servers and offering a refund for anyone who bought it. A major miss for a major company:

Old 09-03-2024, 04:53 PM   #7793
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Sony is removing the game Concord, which just came out, from its servers and offering a refund for anyone who bought it. A major miss for a major company:

The competition for hero shooters is crazy right now with Apex, Overwatch, and Valorant plus Valve has a new one in beta right now. These games require a large player base to have any success and the bar is incredibly high to pull players from established games.

The writing is also on the wall for Firewalk Studios. Got bought by Sony last year and their first game shuts down and gets refunded less than 2 weeks after release.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 05:05 PM   #7794
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I read somewhere that Concord was in development for 7 years. In that time its competition has just been improving itself with updates. It should have launched 5 years ago and benefitted from 5 years of updates between then and now. These companies really need to get a handle on dev times and dev costs before they all put themselves out of business.
Old 09-03-2024, 05:07 PM   #7795
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I’m actually wrong. It was in development for 8 years. Apex Legends was developed in a little over 2 and has been updated consistently since then. This one really was DOA long before it was released.
Old 09-03-2024, 05:29 PM   #7796
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I’m actually wrong. It was in development for 8 years. Apex Legends was developed in a little over 2 and has been updated consistently since then. This one really was DOA long before it was released.

Some estimates put the cost at $100,000,000.

Crazy.
Old 09-03-2024, 06:12 PM   #7797
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I read somewhere that Concord was in development for 7 years. In that time its competition has just been improving itself with updates. It should have launched 5 years ago and benefitted from 5 years of updates between then and now. These companies really need to get a handle on dev times and dev costs before they all put themselves out of business.

Yeah Valve can get away with that and a few other developers could as well. Your studios first game? No chance.

Everyone wants to release these games that are huge and epic on day 1. Even for single player games it seems like it would be better to release a solid, polished experience you can build off of with regular updates and/or expansions rather than a mediocre and empty complete game on day 1.

If anyone is following Avowed, from Obsidian, they realized early on that competing directly with Skyrim wasn't something that made sense for them. Instead, Avowed will be a smaller, but more dense experience with potential expansions coming after release.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote