Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-27-2017, 07:26 PM   #7801
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Good old Megan Kelly telling us how Jesus and Santa are white.
I find it interesting that here in Japan, whenever you have Santa Claus at the shopping mall or wherever for children to take pictures with, Santa is always white. You never see a Japanese Santa Claus; they always hire a Caucasian man to play the part of Santa in anything. I asked why there are no Japanese Santas, and they were incredulous. "What are you talking about? Everybody knows Santa Claus is white. Why would there be a Japanese Santa Claus? It makes no sense."

It's an interesting contrast to my experience growing up in the U.S. My parents always made a point of taking me to get pictures taken with an African American Santa Claus. It was a point of pride for them.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:29 PM   #7802
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I want to make a joke about how it would be natural for a black Santa Clause to sneak into people's houses at night but I won't.

Does that thought make me a terrible person?
Old 12-28-2017, 12:12 AM   #7803
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgunn View Post
I find it interesting that here in Japan, whenever you have Santa Claus at the shopping mall or wherever for children to take pictures with, Santa is always white. You never see a Japanese Santa Claus; they always hire a Caucasian man to play the part of Santa in anything. I asked why there are no Japanese Santas, and they were incredulous. "What are you talking about? Everybody knows Santa Claus is white. Why would there be a Japanese Santa Claus? It makes no sense."

Similar to many in the US thinking Jesus was a white, dirty/blond, blue-eyed middle-eastern guy.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:37 AM   #7804
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

What's interesting to me isn't that Trump became the 1st first year president not to win in 71 years. It's that not a single conservative woman made the top 5. Actually, the last time a conservative woman made the top 5 was Condoleezza Rice in 2014.
The most interesting thing to me is that Billy Graham is still alive... and I live in South Charlotte!
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:27 AM   #7805
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
The most interesting thing to me is that Billy Graham is still alive... and I live in South Charlotte!
I've had three close-up encounters with Billy Graham--two in 1998, and one in 2010. If you'd told me after the 2010 meeting that he'd still be alive in 2017, I'd have said you were crazy.

Pic attached for a "fun" memory: about 30 seconds after it was taken, our then-18-month-old daughter threw an epic tantrum right there on the floor at Daddy Bill's feet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg billygraham_montreat.jpg (115.1 KB, 363 views)
Old 12-28-2017, 04:56 PM   #7806
Edward64
Head Coach

Nice picture!
Old 12-28-2017, 04:58 PM   #7807
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You know, when this thread started, I don't think I'd ever imagined we'd have a picture of Ben with Billy Graham as part of it.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:16 PM   #7808
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
You know, when this thread started, I don't think I'd ever imagined we'd have a picture of Ben with Billy Graham as part of it.
Random, I am.

The backstory is that shortly after my wife and I started dating, my roommate starting dating one of Billy Graham's granddaughters. The girls hit it off with one another pretty well and we ended up getting married 8 weeks apart in '98 and were parts of each others' weddings. Despite moving fairly far away, we've kept in touch pretty well. (It was easy when we lived in Charleston because they vacationed every year quite near us.) The photo above was from a weekend that we spent with them at Montreat. We stayed at the Grahams' former home in the village and went up the mountain one afternoon to his current home.

Random fact #2 about my ex-roommate: not only did he marry Billy Graham's granddaughter, but he also was one of my two roomies who found the body of Sara Tokars.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:55 PM   #7809
digamma
Torchbearer

The Trumpster with a heck of an interview in the NY Times this evening.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:26 AM   #7810
BBT
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
The Trumpster with a heck of an interview in the NY Times this evening.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/28/u...-excerpts.html
BBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:31 AM   #7811
Groundhog
Coordinator

Maybe the worst interview yet, which is really saying something.

I like to think I'm fairly open minded and not stubborn enough to refuse to change my mind on something if presented with enough evidence to the contrary, but at this point I don't know what to say other than that if any pro-Trump types can read that interview and think this guy has any idea what he's saying, or that he's even remotely qualified to even be considered for the position he is currently in, you are just ... willfully dumb.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:05 AM   #7812
Thomkal
Head Coach

he sure does a lot of interviews with that "failing NY Times." He just says the same talking points over and over again because he thinks if he keeps saying it it will come true. I don't think any Democrat has said there is no collusion with Russia. I hope Dems get control of the House or Senate, so they are in a better position than they are now to contain the damage he is doing.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:24 AM   #7813
digamma
Torchbearer

There's an interesting podcast interview with NYT reporter Maggie Haberman in/on the Atlantic this week. She's a bit confounding herself and very defensive about any criticism, but she offers insights into why Trump is the way he is. It's not necessarily novel (he is an NYC developer yada yada yada), but there are a few points that go directly to this interview regarding how he thinks of the New York Times and how he convinces himself of another reality by repeating the same things again and again. There's also a really interesting tidbit on how he views his kids. Worth the half hour listen.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:49 AM   #7814
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
how he convinces himself of another reality by repeating the same things again and again.

"Jerry, just remember, it is not a lie....if YOU believe it."
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:35 AM   #7815
Ben E Lou

Good gracious.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:54 AM   #7816
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Maybe the worst interview yet, which is really saying something..

Out of interest what did you find 'worst' in that - I thought it was very vague and uninformed .. but didn't think it really any worse than previous ones I've seen write ups for (I haven't heard the interview itself is it online?) ..

I do realize that part of this, which terrifies me somewhat, is that I have such low expectations for Trump in interview ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:56 AM   #7817
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Holy hell that is a tough read. He just rambles aimlessly.

Last edited by EagleFan : 12-29-2017 at 10:56 AM.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:18 AM   #7818
cuervo72
Head Coach

Or:

Quote:
There are people who had very good health insurance that now are paying not to have health insurance. That’s what the individual mandate. …

Because that's exactly what it did - it forced people off of good plans, and into paying for nothing.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:01 PM   #7819
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

South Korea seizes ship that transferred oil to North Korea

I'm sure Kim will be along shortly to throw a temper tantrum over this.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:52 PM   #7820
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah, his incorrect usage of the word bipartisan really sticks out to me, from everything else in that rambling mess of incoherence. I guess if I had to circle the single worst thing about that interview, that would be it. It's like English isn't his first language.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:05 PM   #7821
cuervo72
Head Coach

Trump administration fires all members of HIV/AIDS advisory council - The Washington Post
Old 12-30-2017, 07:07 AM   #7822
Logan
Head Coach

"Let's move forward so we can get on to infrastructure!"

Trump administration kills Gateway tunnel deal | Crain's New York Business
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:56 PM   #7823
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

It just hit me watching a CNN report interviewing Trump supports in Dawsonville, Ga on how Trump is going to win re-election. It's the economy, stupid. If he can with tax's breaks and de-regulation create a economic bubble, he will cruise to victory. If the democrats win back the congress, and the economy busts, he could win re-election and secure a crazy level republican control in congress. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm getting a sinking feeling I'm right.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:12 PM   #7824
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Don't get caught up in interviews with Trump supporters. Even with basically full employment Trump has an approval rating under 40%. Trump voters will most likely remain Trump supporters, but his win was so improbable and driven by an elderly demographic, that he needs to expand his support to win in 2020. There's no evidence of that as of now.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:48 PM   #7825
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The President is more likely to get credit/blame for a good/bad economy than Congress. In 2008, voters didn't blame the Dems who took control in 2006 midterms. In 1996, voters didn't credit the GOP who took control in 1994. In 1992 and 1984, the credit/blame went to the party in charge of the White House and not the one in control of Congress.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:58 PM   #7826
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
"Let's move forward so we can get on to infrastructure!"

Trump administration kills Gateway tunnel deal | Crain's New York Business

His entire infrastructure plan was to give tax subsidies to companies looking to privatize public infrastructure so this isn't much of a surprise.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:08 PM   #7827
PilotMan
Head Coach

Privatize roads, privatize bridges, privatize anything that moves. Nickle and dime every citizen whenever they move. Put the Trump name on all of it and keep that coin machine running.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:56 AM   #7828
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Don't get caught up in interviews with Trump supporters. Even with basically full employment Trump has an approval rating under 40%. Trump voters will most likely remain Trump supporters, but his win was so improbable and driven by an elderly demographic, that he needs to expand his support to win in 2020. There's no evidence of that as of now.

I'm not. It just jarred me to really think about things. Really, it was more thinking about the people I know that voted for Trump (I live in Georgia, and you can't throw a cat without hitting one). There were a large number of people I know that voted for him that did not like him or trust him. Some voted based on social issues, and I doubt any democrat that is nominated is going to change their vote. More likely even those who have straight turned against him at this point could easily be motivated to go vote for him again just on abortion alone. Sad but true.

Really, most of the people I know who voted for him even though they did not like him were voting because they were convinced he'd be better for the economy. If the economy is booming, I am very afraid he is going to win.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:59 AM   #7829
GrantDawg

Btw, why are basing anything on approval ratings? His approval numbers are the same as when he was elected the first time. http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/21/politi...day/index.html
Old 12-31-2017, 01:03 PM   #7830
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

His win was incredibly unlikely and he can't count on threading the needle while losing by three million votes. He could win, but at this point he is't doing the things he needs to to increase his support.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:25 PM   #7831
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Btw, why are basing anything on approval ratings? His approval numbers are the same as when he was elected the first time. http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/21/politi...day/index.html

The numbers really don't need to move much there. He won the election by 77k votes combined in those 3 states.

A lot of assumptions need to be made any time you're looking forward 3 years in politics, but Trump has narrowed his base by all measures I've seen.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...in-red-states/

If, and this is a big if, these trends hold then Trump is going to end up fighting in states Republicans shouldn't be spending time fighting for. That's not a recipe to win a national election.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:34 PM   #7832
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

There is also very little chance there will be another game changing FBI announcement one week before the election.

(Unless it concerns Trump.)

edit: I'll also add that presidents tend to get reelected, so Trump will probably go into the election with fundamentals that favor him.

Last edited by JPhillips : 01-01-2018 at 10:28 AM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:15 AM   #7833
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW, here's what some of the Dow 30 says/will do about the tax cut.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/he...ill-2017-12-21
Quote:
President Donald Trump can make corporate America great, or at least more competitive, after he signed the tax bill into law Friday, according to a MarketWatch survey of the large multinational members of Dow Jones Industrial Average.

Almost all the companies that responded applauded the legislation, mostly in the broadest sense and largely in corporate-speak without specifics, saying the lowered corporate tax rate would “allow” or “enhance” the ability of U.S.-headquartered companies to compete more fairly with overseas-based companies. The new tax law lowers the maximum corporate tax rate to 21% from 35%.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:39 AM   #7834
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

"As we don't have any plans to increase wages or re-invest savings from these tax cuts, our profits will go up and our shareholders will be pleased. 7 figure bonuses all around for the leadership team!".

Last edited by jeff061 : 01-01-2018 at 11:40 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:54 AM   #7835
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
"As we don't have any plans to increase wages or re-invest savings from these tax cuts, our profits will go up and our shareholders will be pleased. 7 figure bonuses all around for the leadership team!".

Well why don't poor people just buy stocks?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:05 PM   #7836
BBT
H.S. Freshman Team

From the Independent in the UK

Nikki Haley seemingly tricked by Russian pranksters into commenting on fictional country 'Binomo'

Quote:
The US Ambassador to the UN spent 22 minutes talking to someone she thought was the Polish Prime Minister

A pair of Russian comedians appear to have successfully tricked the US’ Ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley, into commenting on a fictional Asian country.

The two comedians Vladimir Kuznetsov and Alexei Stolyarov, known as Vovan and Lexus, posted a 22 minute audio clip of their conversation with the ambassador where they get her to comment on the situation in Binomo – a fictional country in the South China Sea.

Posing as the Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki, they spoke to Ms Haley in the days after Poland was one of 35 countries to abstain on a UN vote to reject Donald Trump’s declaration of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital as “null and void”.

The UN General Assembly voted 128-9, excluding the abstentions, in favour of the motion.

She said: “Let me start with very much thanking you for the support we received on the vote today. We will never forget it”.

Previous Mr Trump suggested he would cut off financial aid to those who voted for the motion.

The pranksters then moved the discussion to the situation in Binomo.

Mr Stolyarov, who was posing as Mr Morawiecki, said: “You know Binomo” to which Ms Haley replied “yes, yes”.

“They had elections and we suppose Russia had its intervention”, he continued.

Ms Haley then replied: “Yes, of course they did, absolutely.

“We’ve been watching that very closely, and I think we will continue to watch that as we deal with the issues that keep coming up about the South China Sea.”

He then asked her what the US was planning to do about the island to which Ms Haley responded that she needed to “find out exactly what our stance is on that” and get back to them.

The comedians also questioned her about Ukraine, with whom Russia has been engaging in a proxy war since 2014, and expressed support for the former President of Georgia, Mikheil Saakashvili, who was arrested in Kiev earlier this month.
BBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:37 PM   #7837
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Well why don't poor people just buy stocks?

Well why do you think they're poor?

On a more serious note I wish some of my coworkers, especially the younger ones, would think about investing more. I think some are intimidated by the market and others just think it's a scam.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:47 PM   #7838
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Well why do you think they're poor?

Because they're buying iPhones
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:50 PM   #7839
Thomkal
Head Coach

So Trump took credit for there being no airline deaths in 2017. Social media set him straight:

Social media users mock Trump for taking credit for air-travel safety record | TheHill
Old 01-02-2018, 02:41 PM   #7840
PilotMan
Head Coach

I really hope this guy takes credit for shitty landings, not that I personally need it, but some people need someone to blame.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:46 PM   #7841
Thomkal
Head Coach

Hatch announces retirement from Senate | TheHill

Mitt Romney likely to get the seat.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:47 PM   #7842
Bee
Pro Starter

If he wants to take credit from something, he can take credit for my wife (who is a democrat) and I fighting less about politics, since we both think he's an idiot.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:52 PM   #7843
Thomkal
Head Coach

LOL Bee
Old 01-02-2018, 03:35 PM   #7844
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

They think this will cause problems since Romney hates Trump but meh I don't think it will change anything since ROmney has no testicles.

I do wonder tho. If ROmney had beaten Obama, would we have this horrible trump/ryan/mcconell problem we have today?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:40 PM   #7845
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Do we know if Romney has any testicles or not? Just because he flip flops for votes doesn't mean that he won't let personal hatred guide his record.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:43 PM   #7846
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Do you REALLY think he will do anything? Like, say...vote with Democrats?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:44 PM   #7847
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I mean McCain did a couple times. His hatred of Trump likely didn't hurt there.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:51 PM   #7848
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Romney will have more freedom than just about any other Republican. If he gets that seat, the Tea Party will not be able to threaten him. Any primary challenge will be easily laughed off. Will he use that freedom? That's a different story.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:55 PM   #7849
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Romney may also see himself as a sort of "savior of the Republican Party". The question is whether he is thinking about primarying Trump in 2020.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:57 PM   #7850
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Replacing an 83year old senator with a 71 year old senator doesn't exactly seem like a youth movement.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote