Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-08-2023, 12:56 PM   #7801
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I think there is a good chance we will be in an official recession by next year, all the while we are not going to see prices drop.

Yes, I can see it worse in 2024. But like to think 2022 was the bottom ... we are (supposedly) at the end of the Fed tightening now. If we are in the depths of a recession during election year, Trump's odds increases significantly.

If we have a recession, better to have a recession this year so Biden will have some time to recover.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 02:02 PM   #7802
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I think there is a good chance we will be in an official recession by next year, all the while we are not going to see prices drop.

Fed is going all out to make it happen.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 03:35 PM   #7803
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Fed is going all out to make it happen.
That is really what it looks like to me. They have timed this out for the worst of everything to hit and exact time it will destroy Biden's chances.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 04:03 PM   #7804
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't know if they're timing it to hurt Biden per say, I just think when wages started increasing for the common folk, they got terrified and had to shut that shit down.
Old 05-08-2023, 04:34 PM   #7805
GrantDawg

Quote:
I don't know if they're timing it to hurt Biden per say, I just think when wages started increasing for the common folk, they got terrified and had to shut that shit down.
In their case, I'm not saying it was a plot. Just how it has happened.
Old 05-08-2023, 04:36 PM   #7806
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

This is my belief as well. They know the GOP and Dems both will help siphon money from the poor to the rich. But the poors were starting to get some wage relief for the first time since the 90s so they had to nip that in the bud.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 04:43 PM   #7807
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That is really what it looks like to me. They have timed this out for the worst of everything to hit and exact time it will destroy Biden's chances.

I think you give the Fed too much credit here.
Old 05-08-2023, 05:03 PM   #7808
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I think you give the Fed too much credit here.
I'm pretty sure the Fed is having a pretty hard affect on the economy right now.
Old 05-08-2023, 07:07 PM   #7809
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think we are 6-8 months out from when it begins to make sense to even *start* worrying about polls.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 04:13 PM   #7810
Edward64
Head Coach

Now this is the Grandpa Joe I expect. Nice heartwarming story, essentially Biden inviting WH reporters to attend personally relevant events.

West Wing Playbook - POLITICO
Quote:
While it’s incredibly rare for a member of the White House press corps to receive such an exclusive invitation, it’s becoming far less so. In what longtime White House correspondents and historians say is a return to tradition, the Biden administration in recent months has started inviting those who cover them to attend smaller, more restrictive events.
:
The shift toward inviting more journalists to White House events in their personal capacity began ahead of St. Patrick’s Day this year, when members of the press shop were given the green light to submit a list of White House reporters with Irish heritage to the social office.

Quote:
Another early arrival was SEUNG MIN KIM, who, on another night, might have been standing alongside her fellow reporters taking cell phone pics of arriving guests and shouting out questions. But on this night, the Associated Press White House reporter was in a floral ball gown, walking through a doorway festooned with the American and South Korean flags along with her mother, MI RYUNG CHANG.

Kim, who is Korean American, was invited to attend the state dinner honoring South Korean President YOON SUK YEOL in a personal capacity.
Quote:
... several Asian American reporters were invited to attend Monday night’s screening of the film “American Born Chinese,” an event marking Asian American, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander Heritage Month.
Quote:
Some Jewish members of the press corps have also been invited to a reception marking Jewish American Heritage month, which also is observed in May.
Quote:
And when Biden hosted his first state dinner last December, in honor of French President EMMANUEL MACRON, the Washington Post’s OLIVIER KNOX (one of the Frenchiest members of the press corps) drew an invite,
Old 05-09-2023, 05:59 PM   #7811
Edward64
Head Coach

No surprise there wasn't any movement. Game of chicken continues on Fri.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/09/debt...mcconnell.html
Quote:
Debt ceiling deal appears no closer after high-stakes meeting, but leaders will huddle again Friday

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy said he did not see “any new movement” on negotiating positions during his White House meeting with President Joe Biden and congressional leaders.
Hoping this is still a Plan D to keep in the backpocket.

Quote:
House Speaker Kevin McCarthy said he would reject any three-month debt ceiling proposals. The White House denied that Biden plans to put a short-term fix on the table.
Old 05-09-2023, 06:04 PM   #7812
GrantDawg

I think in the end there will be some kind of extension, because the last thing the GOP wants is for the White House to claim the 14th amendment means the cap is moot and they lose this threat every few months.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 05-09-2023 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-10-2023, 02:18 PM   #7813
RainMaker
General Manager

Just incredibly cruel what they are doing to her.

Old 05-10-2023, 05:44 PM   #7814
Edward64
Head Coach

Another interesting option for the debt ceiling fight.

Former Biden adviser Tribe: Just use the 14th Amendment now - POLITICO
Quote:
President Joe Biden made waves Tuesday when he acknowledged he was considering using the 14th Amendment to end the debt standoff — before saying he feared it would get caught up in courts.
:
The idea of using the 14th Amendment — which says the nation’s debts “shall not be questioned” — to continue making payments on spending approved by Congress has garnered increased interest as the nation tips closer to default.
His argument below seems logical to me but would be worried about unintended consequences. My guess is they'll try a Plan D ... prioritizing payments before doing the 14th amendment (but plan for it as a Plan E).

But if I was an impartial 3rd party observer, would love to see how this plays out in courts.

Quote:
Tribe, in an interview, said that House Republicans — who have hinted they would challenge the president’s use of the 14th Amendment — can’t sue the president for not violating the Constitution. He anticipated the Supreme Court would reject such a case.

“Even bending their standing doctrine, I don’t know how they or how anyone could find somebody with standing to sue the president and the secretary of the Treasury for spending the money that Congress has said they’re supposed to spend,” Tribe said. “What would a court tell them not to spend the money on?”
Old 05-11-2023, 03:51 PM   #7815
GrantDawg

I didn't know where to put this, but it is an interesting case decision from the Supreme Court. Interesting in it one of the few that there were liberal and conservatives on both sides. Basically it allows California to set restrictions on what pork can be sold in the state, and it is a pretty clear indicator that the court is allowing states to set their own restrictions even if it affects other producer states. Mostly, just fascinated by the strange bedfellows on both sides.
Old 05-12-2023, 05:27 AM   #7816
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Reports are that there is good progress on the behind the scenes negotiations concerning the debt ceiling. Remember, these are the negotiations that President Biden swore would never happen.

Now, he took that position when he expected the GOP to infight so much that it would not have a coherent plan. And he expected outside groups (business leaders, etc) to put pressure on the GOP. But that never materialized.

So I think he was smart to see that the game was playing out very differently than he had hoped and to change strategies. But (assuming that a deal is reached) it will be very interesting to see how the GOP plays this. Because they got what they wanted from him. But the thing that they want it from him was reasonable negotiations, so it is hard to criticize him for agreeing with you to be reasonable.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 08:38 AM   #7817
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Just incredibly cruel what they are doing to her.

She's 89 and has served in the Senate for over 30 years. Barbara Boxer, who is "only" 82, was also elected to the Senate in 1992 (Feinstein's election in 1992 was a special election to finish Wilson's term), but retired in 2017, at age 76, after 25 years in the Senate, which is still way too old and way too long but is still a whole lot better than the ego trip Feinstein has been on (and RBG before her and Ted Kennedy before her, etc...).

It may be cruel, but hopefully it serves as a kick in the ass to some of those geriatrics to plan a reasonable succession timeline and stop fucking things up for their party because they're too fucking old.

The list of Senators 72 & over contains 6 Republicans, 16 Democrats, and both Independents.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 08:46 AM   #7818
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Or what about the 95 year old federal judge whose court is seeking to remove her because of concerns about her ability--and she is suing them, arguing that only Congress can remove a judge via impeachment, and that any attempt to de facto remove her is thus unconstitutional:

Judge Newman Sues Fed. Circ. To Halt Probe Of Her Fitness - Law360 Pulse

FWIW, I think that she is right. I could easily see "fitness" being weaponized by partisan court to get around life tenure.

But, come on, you are 95 years old and have your salary for life. Just retire.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 05-12-2023 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-12-2023, 12:51 PM   #7819
Edward64
Head Coach

What's in Lebanon that justifies the $1B embassy? I'd think maybe Jordan, at least they've shown they can be friendly to US interests.

I'm sure there's a reason, I hope its a really good one. Just seems we are a sitting duck whenever Syria wants to apply some pressure.

A massive new US embassy in a tiny Middle East nation is raising eyebrows | CNN
Quote:
A massive new US embassy complex in Lebanon is causing controversy for its sheer size and opulence in a country where nearly 80% of the population is under the poverty line.

Located some 13 kilometers (about 8 miles) from the center of Beirut, the US’ new embassy compound in Lebanon looks like a city of its own.

Sprawling over a 43-acre site, the complex in the Beirut suburb of Awkar is almost two-and-a-half times the size of the land the White House sits on and more than 21 soccer fields.
Quote:
Plans for the embassy complex were announced in 2015 and it is reported to have cost $1 billion.

Yeah, old enough to remember this one vividly.

Quote:
Last month marked 40 years since the 1983 bombing of the American embassy in Beirut, which killed 63 people, including 52 Lebanese and embassy employees. In October that year, a bomb struck barracks in Beirut housing American and French peacekeepers, killing 299 people.

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-12-2023 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-12-2023, 01:00 PM   #7820
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
What's in Lebanon that justifies the $1B embassy?

Well, maybe not in Lebanon, but all those construction and ancillary companies that bid on government contracts but mainly live below the poverty line need work so they can feed their kids.
Old 05-12-2023, 01:31 PM   #7821
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
She's 89 and has served in the Senate for over 30 years. Barbara Boxer, who is "only" 82, was also elected to the Senate in 1992 (Feinstein's election in 1992 was a special election to finish Wilson's term), but retired in 2017, at age 76, after 25 years in the Senate, which is still way too old and way too long but is still a whole lot better than the ego trip Feinstein has been on (and RBG before her and Ted Kennedy before her, etc...).

It may be cruel, but hopefully it serves as a kick in the ass to some of those geriatrics to plan a reasonable succession timeline and stop fucking things up for their party because they're too fucking old.

The list of Senators 72 & over contains 6 Republicans, 16 Democrats, and both Independents.

I don't think this is on her. She has dementia and doesn't know what's going on. This isn't something that just sprung up either. Sure she shouldn't have run again, but I don't know if she even knew she was.

This is on her staff for continuing the Weekend and Bernie's act and other Democrats who haven't spoken up about her health. Like I said, it's just cruel to do this to someone with dementia.
Old 05-12-2023, 01:37 PM   #7822
Flasch186
Coordinator

She’s been diagnosed with dementia

Or

Is that just rhetoric?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 01:56 PM   #7823
RainMaker
General Manager

She was introducing herself to reporters as Mayor a few months ago. One of her staffers resigned and said that she is no longer mentally there and that her Chief of Staff is essentially acting as the Senator. There are videos of people bringing her in for votes, her being confused as to where she is, and them telling her what to vote.

I'm not knocking her in any way. This is just flat out elder abuse.
Old 05-12-2023, 03:15 PM   #7824
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

It's on her much the same was it was on RBG: retire before you become cripplingly old and lose your agency (and, in RBG's case, the legacy of everything you fought for).

She could have retired ~15 years ago at the age of ~74 after having served for ~15 years and would still have left a good legacy.
Old 05-13-2023, 07:34 PM   #7825
PilotMan
Head Coach

The Democrats are making the same mistake they did with Hillary if they think Biden is the right choice in '24. They have a great chance to change the narrative and routine if he walks away. There's no way whoever it loses the party momentum if the incumbent. It'll be seen as the right choice and the Republicans will scramble to deal with the change. They couldn't see the importance of 16 when it canev to the SC and they are missing the real life importance of what happens should they lose. They already know Congress is stacked against them and trump or someone like him will have 2 years minimum fee reign to burn at the speed similar to Florida. It'll set back causes and all the progress the left has spent 50 years fighting for, and it'll be fine in 2.

Where is our Zalensky?

Jon Stewart may be the best hope, but the old men politicians can't think that way. Strategically, they are fighting the battle they think they can win and they are missing the why they'll lose if they stick with tired tactics of another ancient white man.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 05:58 AM   #7826
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think it's totally different than Hillary. Hillary wasn't the incumbent president.

I agree that it's the right thing to pick someone else in a utopia, but politics is the art of the practical/possible, etc. Part of choosing Biden to run in 2020 was choosing him to run again in 2024 if he won and wanted to run again. They are the same decision, and you take the good with the bad on those things.
Old 05-14-2023, 07:38 AM   #7827
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Biden does well with old white moderates in the Midwest.

And that's who you need to win elections right now.
Old 05-14-2023, 08:14 PM   #7828
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

As a follow-up to albion....

In 2020, the 10 closest states were:

1. Georgia
2. Arizona
3. Wisconsin
4. Pennsylvania
5. North Carolina
6. Nevada
7. Michigan
8. Florida
9. Texas
10. Minnesota

Show me a potential Democratic candidate with a better shot in most of those states than Biden. Serious proposal - I'm interested in seeing ideas.
Old 05-15-2023, 07:42 AM   #7829
Edward64
Head Coach

Too early to tell but I'm grasping for any good news, and Yellen's comment is somewhat positive.

Quote:
Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen hinted over the weekend that the U.S. would avoid a default.

“I’m hopeful. I think the negotiations are very active. I’m told they have found some areas of agreement,” said Yellen in an interview with the Wall Street Journal on Saturday from Japan during a meeting of G-7 finance ministers.

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-15-2023 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-15-2023, 07:47 AM   #7830
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

This will be a huge test for McCarthy. It sounds like he and Biden will come to a deal. If McCarthy can get the MAGA caucus to agree to it, then he's a more powerful/better Speaker than we all assumed coming out of his clown show of an election.

As someone who does not want a global recession that will forever diminish the United States, I hope that (1) they come to a deal, and (2) the MAGAs go along with it.

Then we can lurch to the next crisis.
Old 05-15-2023, 09:15 AM   #7831
Edward64
Head Coach

Well, you are obviously wrong about a global recession.

Just a moment...
Quote:
Trump told CNN moderator Kaitlan Collins at a town hall on Wednesday, "I say to the Republicans out there – congressmen, senators – if they don’t give you massive cuts, you’re going to have to do a default."

Trump said while he doesn't believe a default is going to happen, "it’s better than what we’re doing right now because we’re spending money like drunken sailors."

He also suggested that the effects of a default may not be as calamitous as economists have warned, musing that "it’s really psychological more than anything else" and "maybe it’s, you have a bad week or a bad day."

It's good there hasn't been a upswell of support for Trump's position. Article has some GOP publicly disagreeing.

So yeah, if it was between DeSantis or Trump, I'd take DeSantis any day. Much less dangerous to the country (and world).
Old 05-15-2023, 09:42 AM   #7832
Edward64
Head Coach

Another headache for Joe.

I'm sure additional funding will get approved (not all GOP are against it) but Joe may have to compromise on something.

The end of Ukraine aid is rapidly approaching. Reupping it won’t be easy - POLITICO
Quote:
Move over, Treasury. You’re not the only one with an X-date.

The $48 billion Ukraine aid package that Congress approved in December has about $6 billion left, meaning U.S. funding for weapons and supplies could dry up by midsummer.

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-15-2023 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-15-2023, 02:09 PM   #7833
RainMaker
General Manager

At this point, I'm fine with a default. Seems silly to go through this song and dance ever year and maybe the fuck around crowd should find out what happens.
Old 05-15-2023, 02:24 PM   #7834
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
At this point, I'm fine with a default. Seems silly to go through this song and dance ever year and maybe the fuck around crowd should find out what happens.

It's one of the dumbest parts of our government. Congress can pass bills to spend money, and the president is constitutionally required to make sure that money is spent correctly, but we have an arbitrary debt ceiling that prevents him from doing his constitutional duty unless congress agrees to let him spend the money they allocated.

Either the 14th ammendment or the duties of the presidency should make a debt ceiling unnecessary.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 02:27 PM   #7835
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

So yeah, if it was between DeSantis or Trump, I'd take DeSantis any day. Much less dangerous to the country (and world).

Eh....
some of the stuff DeSantis is doing n Florida would destroy us as a nation. Trump is an idiot, but I'm not sure the ling term damage would be as bad a what DeSantis would do.

I think it is safe to say we really can't afford as a nation for either of them to win.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 04:04 PM   #7836
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

They are both dangerous. Trump would turn the entire government into a Trump state. DeSantis would do a lot of damage in a more or less "within norms" way (using the legislature and executive branches kinda like he's done in Florida). They are both bad but DeSantis actually worries me more because, outside of court challenges to the constitutionality of any of it, it will be done within the system.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-15-2023 at 04:05 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 04:11 PM   #7837
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

RFK Jr. is so desperate to be Trump's "unity" running mate. Dems aren't looking for a candidate that endlessly praises Trump.
Old 05-16-2023, 04:37 PM   #7838
RainMaker
General Manager

I was wrong. Feinstein didn't miss any time at all according to her.

Dianne Feinstein's health: The senator seems not to remember being absent from the Capitol.

By the way, I'm not knocking her at all. This is flat-out elder abuse and everyone carrying on this charade should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 05-16-2023, 08:32 PM   #7839
Edward64
Head Coach

Thank you Turbo Tax (and like) for paving the way, but think it's a no-brainer for the IRS to do this.

I chatted with someone from Australia that said his tax information was preloaded into the tax system for him. So all he had to do was review and maybe do some exceptions to complete his taxes. This is where we should be, everything from employers, banks, investments etc. pre-loaded.

It won't get everything but 80-20 is good enough.

The IRS is working on software to allow taxpayers to file online : NPR
Quote:
The IRS is developing a system that would let taxpayers send electronic returns directly to the government for free, sidestepping commercial options such as TurboTax.

The agency plans a pilot test of the program next year.

Many other countries already offer taxpayers a government-run filing system. But the IRS plan is likely to face stiff opposition from the $14 billion tax-preparation industry.
Quote:
Americans already spend significant time and money preparing their taxes. The average individual filer pays $140 per year, according to the IRS.

While an alliance of industry players offers a free-filing option through the IRS website, only about 2% of taxpayers use it.

"That's because the tax prep companies sabotaged the program, so they could keep raking in money," Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., said last month.

Last year, TurboTax paid $141 million to settle a complaint that it advertised free tax preparation, then steered customers into costly upgrades. The company did not admit to any wrongdoing.
Old 05-16-2023, 08:53 PM   #7840
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CsTn5...c4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

VERY NSFW

Last edited by Lathum : 05-16-2023 at 08:53 PM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 08:55 PM   #7841
Flasch186
Coordinator

Surely the republicans would be against making it easier to take care of taxes considering they’d like to completely make it harder to impossible to pay your taxes… let alone those you couldn’t avoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 09:19 PM   #7842
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Thank you Turbo Tax (and like) for paving the way, but think it's a no-brainer for the IRS to do this.

TurboTax has been actively trying to demolish that road & lobbying to keep taxes complicated, since the last millennium fwiw.

Inside TurboTax’s 20-Year Fight to Stop Americans From Filing Their Taxes for Free — ProPublica
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 10:11 PM   #7843
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The GOP saw Covid and decided they are anti-vax now.

Old 05-16-2023, 10:40 PM   #7844
cuervo72
Head Coach

but God made measles for a reason

(bring on polio! their kids won't ever get it only commies like FDR)
Old 05-17-2023, 11:31 AM   #7845
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm impressed we've gotten to a (initial) kumbaya moment with 2 weeks before Jun 1. Good sign there's not heated rhetoric right now between Joe & McCarthy.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/17/debt...-progress.html
Quote:
Top leaders from both sides of the aisle reassured Americans Wednesday that the U.S. won’t default on its debt as tense negotiations over the debt ceiling continued.

“I think at the end of the day we do not have a debt default,” House Speaker Kevin McCarthy told CNBC in a “Squawk Box” interview Wednesday morning.

President Joe Biden echoed that sentiment later in remarks from the White House: “We’re going to come together because these is no alternative,” he said. “Every leader in the room understands the consequences of failure.”
Quote:
The House speaker’s and the president’s remarks were the latest signs that negotiations, which had been stalled for months, were now moving into a more serious and concrete phase, and potentially closer to a deal.
Old 05-17-2023, 11:45 AM   #7846
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I would hate doing negotiations for a living.

Going in, everyone knows that there will end up being a deal that falls within a pretty narrow band of possibilities. You may know that months ahead of time.

But, under game theory, it makes no sense for either side to start to move toward that deal until there is real deadline pressure.

So you end up with tense last-minute negotiations to end up where you knew you were going to end up a month ago.

It would annoy my sense of efficiency.
Old 05-17-2023, 11:50 AM   #7847
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

That said, in this case, I do think that the delay had some effect--the GOP House was able to pass a bill, the GOP senators stood behind the House, and the public didn't buy the "GOP must pass a clean bill" take--none of which were known at the beginning of the process.

Basically, McCarthy has been getting a run of pretty good breaks here. It will be fascinating to see if his MAGA rump ends up fucking this up for him.

To get Biden from "We won't negotiate, period." to "We are open to some SNAP work requirements" without the Senate and with a narrow House majority is a legislative butt kicking.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 05-17-2023 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-17-2023, 12:05 PM   #7848
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep
It's one of the dumbest parts of our government. Congress can pass bills to spend money, and the president is constitutionally required to make sure that money is spent correctly, but we have an arbitrary debt ceiling that prevents him from doing his constitutional duty unless congress agrees to let him spend the money they allocated.

Either the 14th ammendment or the duties of the presidency should make a debt ceiling unnecessary.

Agree completely, except for the 14th amendment part.

I can't get on board with 'just default and let them learn what it means' because that's not what will actually happen. People will blame those not on their political team for the consequences, not their own actions.
Old 05-17-2023, 12:21 PM   #7849
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Agree completely, except for the 14th amendment part.

I can't get on board with 'just default and let them learn what it means' because that's not what will actually happen. People will blame those not on their political team for the consequences, not their own actions.

I'm not saying default, I'm saying the 14th ammendment states we cannot default on our debts so the debt ceiling isn't necessary and is actually unconstitutional itself. Between the 14th ammendment and the constitutional requirements of the presidency it doesn't make sense that we fight this battle at all.
Old 05-17-2023, 12:24 PM   #7850
Atocep
Coordinator

Dola

The right is arguing that the 14th ammendment is outdated and doesn't apply to today's debts while at the same time arguing that the 2nd ammendment applies today the same way it did in the 1700s. I'm sure the Supreme Court would see it the same way with no fucks given to the hypocrisy.