Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #751
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
It's also possible they could still get QB Jacoby Brissett, but it would be a surprise if he didn't pick Miami.

I thought he officially dropped Washington. I think it's essentially between Wisconsin and Miami at this point with Miami getting the slight nod. Coach Bielema had some big grins on his face today when asked about a certain QB.. I wasn't feeling so confident coming into the last week or so about landing Brissett but BB's confidence helped me out a bit today. His announcement is coming during a halftime show during his basketball game on Friday. This would definitely make the Badgers class look a lot better.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #752
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
I thought he officially dropped Washington.
No, Washington is still officially in it:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/h...,4789083.story
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:19 PM   #753
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Cyrus Koudijna is a verbal commit only.

And from interviews it sounds like he will sign there.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #754
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
So, uh, awkward?

Beautiful!
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #755
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Torian White to SC... wonder if he's essentially a trade for Marcus Martin. Even if it is I will take it, we need a tackle in this class pretty badly.

No idea on his LOI status, but apparently his family is upset with his decision and he is re-thinking. I think White wants to be at USC, but I think he and his parents had a talk about loyalties and a person of their word. He walked into today all UCLA, but apparently had a change of heart at the last minute. Would suck to lose him to USC, but I want him to go where he wants to be.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #756
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
14 points away from #1 class on Rivals.
Are you suggesting that this is the first time USC has had the 1st or 2nd class on Rivals?

2010 1st
2009 4th
2008 8th
2007 2nd
2006 1st

2005 1st
2004 1st

In regards to 2010
Quote:
a potentially epic class

Quote:
I hve no doubt that it will still be a great class

It will be interesting to see how great to epic the next classes are if the NCAA sanctions do not change (Lord, please answer this prayer). USC was lucky, Ohio State "lucky" if you ask me, that this class wasn't hit with the sanction stick.

Maybe we won't have to hear about how "epic" they are at that point...unless you come up with a new "epic" way to describe it.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #757
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
No idea on his LOI status, but apparently his family is upset with his decision and he is re-thinking. I think White wants to be at USC, but I think he and his parents had a talk about loyalties and a person of their word. He walked into today all UCLA, but apparently had a change of heart at the last minute. Would suck to lose him to USC, but I want him to go where he wants to be.

Yeah, this Torian White thing is nuts. He and his parents had a talk and, per Biggins, he has contacted UCLA and told them he will sign there after all.

I'm with Kyle, though--if he really wants to go to USC, will he be a properly motivated player for this program? I don't want the kid to be regretful about his choices.

Of course, if UCLA actually does well the next season or two, I am sure he'll feel a lot better about it.

This is all assuming this is true and White is indeed re-flipping back to Westwood.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #758
RedKingGold
College Starter

Poli is not an ardent enthusiast of SC.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #759
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I can't confirm that enough.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:13 PM   #760
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
So, uh, awkward?

You're going to have to explain this one to me.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #761
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Rich Rodriguez in the studio, Brady Hoke on the phone.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #762
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Poli is not an ardent enthusiast of SC.

Rodney and I have facebook love

This might be more of a Lame thing then a specific USC thing
Old 02-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #763
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Ryan Henderson and Junior Pomee just selected USC. Marcus Martin was on TV decked out in SC gear and will announce officially in a bit.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #764
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
No, Washington is still officially in it:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/h...,4789083.story

Jacoby Brissett becomes a key recruit for Miami, Wisconsin | High School Buzz

There are so many articles written nowadays. I didn't think he's really considering Washington anymore... But I guess he may be. Nobody knows but him. He's been keeping it real quiet...
Old 02-02-2011, 08:51 PM   #765
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

Quote:
Rich Rodriguez in the studio, Brady Hoke on the phone.

For further explanation, Rich Rodriguez is the genius that Michigan shitcanned after having three of the worst seasons a head coach has EVER had at Michigan (that's over a century.) His replacement is Brady Hoke. Rodriguez is the guy you see in the studio, as he took a gig as an analyst or something for the signing day coverage. Now RichRod was just whining yesterday how he didn't get to finish what he started. Today, he got to talk on television to his replacement (who is getting all the love he never got, sniff-sniff) about the recruiting class that is arguably better than would have signed up had a change not occurred (Ann Arbor would have made Cairo look civil.)

edit: now, with video!

Last edited by M GO BLUE!!! : 02-02-2011 at 08:54 PM.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #766
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Jacoby Brissett becomes a key recruit for Miami, Wisconsin | High School Buzz

There are so many articles written nowadays. I didn't think he's really considering Washington anymore... But I guess he may be. Nobody knows but him. He's been keeping it real quiet...
I don't recall the article where I read it, but apparently the coach he has most hit it off with is Doug Nussmeier, OC and QB coach with Washington. The article said if Nuss were at Miami, it would be a no-brainer for Jacoby. That, and the Steve Clarkson connection and Sark's QB rep are apparently what has Washington in the running despite being a late entry into his recruitment and being as far away as you can get in the continental U.S. while attending an FBS school.

I still expect Miami will get him - his mom clearly wants him there.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #767
MrBug708
Head Coach

Without looking but the lack of any Trojans posting lately means the Mamba went to Eugene
Old 02-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #768
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Without looking but the lack of any Trojans posting lately means the Mamba went to Eugene
You are correct

Looks like it was just him though, he didn't manage to convince any of his fellow USC recruits to defect along with him (which was the big rumor brewing over the weekend).
Old 02-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #769
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post

The face RR makes at the beginning is priceless.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #770
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Texas' day went as expected. It was great that they only lost one of their commits due to the massive turnover in staff. I wouldn't have been surprised if there had been several more. Now time to wait for the end of the month, when most of the 2012 class will be announced after Junior Days.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #771
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Tell you what, Texas does it right. I'll give them that.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #772
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
For further explanation, Rich Rodriguez is the genius that Michigan shitcanned after having the three worst seasons in Michigan's 132-year history.

Fixed that.

I love how he blames the community for his performance, says we weren't behind him properly. Uhh, losing will do that to you, Richie.

Anyway, kudos to Hoke for getting a respectable group in there, last-minute.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #773
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Due to some unexpected issus this as the first signing day in 5 years I haven't spent at a loal hole with some friends drinking and watching signing day reports roll in. I was able to follow along all day on the phone but not really enjoy the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Given his story, I hope he does well 364 days a year.

This was my feeling going in wherever Steward ended up, I would have been happy for the kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Most analysts had it as a toss-up with FSU in the lead. Sucks not to get him, but if the reason you don't get him is that you've got too much depth for him to be a contributor right away, there are worse problems to have.

True, though for what its worth here is what Tony said influenced the decision along with some other thoughts.

How tough was the decision:
“It was tough because I mean the whole time I really, really thought I was going to go to Florida State. I prayed about it as much as I could. But it came down to Clemson … it was God. He lead me to this decision and I am just going to live by his word.”

How does it feel to finally make your choice:
“It's a big relief to get off my chest. Now I don't have to listen to all the questions. It means a lot. It's finally over with. It's just a blessing.”

Have you talked to the coaches?:
“I already talked to all the (Clemson) coaches. The next step is to continue the rehab on the knee and get ready for the season.”

When did you actually make your decision:
“I think it was only reached last night when I talked to my family.”

What did your choice come down to:
“Really, just my gut feeling. I prayed about it as much as I could and it came down to Clemson.”

Did you talk to the coaches and what was their reaction:
“(The Clemson coaches) exploded. They were real happy. I called coach (Jimbo) Fisher and he made it easy for me.”

[EDIT: Really glad JF didn;t try to pressure the kid into a decision he didnt want to make and speaks highly to his character, IMHO]

How tough was it to say no to FSU?:
“It was tough. It was pretty emotional too. I am still a Seminole at heart. They are such good people. They recruited me the right way. They did everything the right way. It just came down to Clemson … I love both of them the same. It was just a gut feeling.”

Did academics play a role?:
“With either school you can't go wrong in academics. You just got to buckle down and do your work.”

How about playing time:
“I didn't look at playing time much because it is really up to you if you play or not.”

How is your rehab going?:
“It's going well. They say I should be at full recovery at the end of May and start of June. So hopefully I can start working out heavy in the next couple months.”

How did your mom since she wanted you to go tot FSU?”
“It was tough. I almost felt like I shouldn't tell her. But, she is family and she supports me.”
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:00 AM   #774
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
How did your mom since she wanted you to go tot FSU?”
“It was tough. I almost felt like I shouldn't tell her. But, she is family and she supports me.”

I'm just glad she didn't try to forge his signature!

I have to say, watching the tape, no one on that podium in his family looked happy at all.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:16 AM   #775
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah his mom did an interview with one of our Rivals guys where she said:
"Tony is his own man. I respect him for that. This certainly wasn't my decision, its his mistake. I told him I aint wearing no Orange and when they come to Tallahassee I will be Choppin at him. Go Noles."

Sad.
Worse that she never attended FSU, so your favorite sports team comes before your son. Not surprised that a mature young man wanted away from that, just shocked he didnt go all the way to UCLA.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:19 AM   #776
Logan
Head Coach

Go fuck yourself mom.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:33 AM   #777
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
so your favorite sports team comes before your son.

Pity Tuitt wasn't as much of a man as this kid.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #778
MrBug708
Head Coach

Sounds like the opposite of Torian White. He was pressured by everyone to go to USC and when he picked the school, his parents could tell he was pretty upset by the choice and looked miserable. His dad told him that he wanted him to go to the school where he felt the most comfortable at, it didn't matter what anyone else wanted.

The signing day saga of Torian White - Los Angeles Preps Blog - ESPN Los Angeles
Old 02-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #779
Ksyrup

Quote:
Yeah his mom did an interview with one of our Rivals guys where she said:
"Tony is his own man. I respect him for that. This certainly wasn't my decision, its his mistake. I told him I aint wearing no Orange and when they come to Tallahassee I will be Choppin at him. Go Noles."

Sad.
Worse that she never attended FSU, so your favorite sports team comes before your son. Not surprised that a mature young man wanted away from that, just shocked he didnt go all the way to UCLA.

Damn, that is sad. Sadder that he chose the wrong school, though.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #780
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Pity Tuitt wasn't as much of a man as this kid.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:14 PM   #781
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

And Jacoby Brissett to...Florida. Mom wanted him at Miami, he wanted to go out of state (UW Scout guys are saying he really wanted to pick the Huskies), so the compromise was Florida.

Anyone want to lay odds on him transferring in the next 1-2 years?
Old 02-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #782
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
It will be interesting to see how great to epic the next classes are if the NCAA sanctions do not change (Lord, please answer this prayer). USC was lucky, Ohio State "lucky" if you ask me, that this class wasn't hit with the sanction stick.

Why is Ohio State lucky?
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #783
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And Jacoby Brissett to...Florida. Mom wanted him at Miami, he wanted to go out of state (UW Scout guys are saying he really wanted to pick the Huskies), so the compromise was Florida.

It's funny.. I think you might be mixing up the UW with Wisconsin.. He was a WI lean nearly the whole recruiting season. Washington came in late and he wanted to go to Wisconsin the most but the compromise was Florida.. That's a bummer. Really wanted himi

Last edited by mauchow : 02-04-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #784
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It's funny.. I think you might be mixing up the UW with Wisconsin.. He was a WI lean nearly the whole recruiting season. Washington came in late and he wanted to go to Wisconsin the most but the compromise was Florida.. That's a bummer. Really wanted himi
No, I'm not. I know Wisconsin was on him early and he liked them a lot. But he really bonded with Doug Nussmeier on the Husky coaching staff.

And the latest word is he still hasn't sent in his LOI - still battling it out with his mom.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:40 PM   #785
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

2 to 1 in favor if he actually goes to UF. He's going to have to openly beat out Driskel for the starting job, assuming they don't give it to Brantley this year for some insane reason. He's been all about early playing time, and Driskel's been viewed as UF's savior by their fans since Alabama, South Carolina and Florida State all took turns making their offense look like a Pop Warner squad.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:51 AM   #786
Ksyrup

Apparently Brissett's mom and Tony Steward's mom are related...
Old 02-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #787
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Top lineman Cyrus Kouandjio chooses Alabama this time - ESPN
Old 02-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #788
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Interesting. I already posted his interview made it sound like he liked Auburn enough and the fellow incoming OL recruits that he would likely end up there. I'm happy for 'Bama, but I'm also glad for anything that screws over Auburn.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:58 AM   #789
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Jadeveon Clowney commits to South Carolina - ESPN

Clowney goes to SC
Old 02-24-2011, 08:29 AM   #790
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

From this morning's AJC

Zach Boden, Lovett's all-time leading rusher, has decided to play football at Harvard. Boden finished his high school career with 3,863 yards, including 1,463 yards as a senior. He will be joined at Harvard by Tucker High's Norman Hayes, who has officially been accepted to the Ivy League school. Hayes, who has a 4.0 GPA, was a two-year starter at quarterback for Tucker.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #791
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Aaron Douglas, a JUCO (Originally signed with the Vols) who had enrolled at Alabama this past winter has apparently died of an overdose. It's been rumored for the past few hours but some Bama writers are confirming it now.

Last edited by DeToxRox : 05-12-2011 at 12:25 PM.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #792
bhlloy
Coordinator

Shit... there were a lot of character concerns and rumors out there but that's absolutely horrible.

USC was very much in the running for his services right up until the end and he was considered a big loss when he went elsewhere.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #793
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

edit to remove -- I searched for a thread with an Aaron Douglas mention & posted linkage ... didn't realize the thread had already been bumped.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-12-2011 at 04:37 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #794
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Wow....So Mike Blakely asks for and is granted a release from Florida. Openly says he wants to transfer to Clemson...and we refuse to accept him.
Because?

Well fellow freshman commit Mike Bellamy, who is in danger of failing to qualify, doesn't like him. WTF....
Old 05-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #795
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Wow....So Mike Blakely asks for and is granted a release from Florida. Openly says he wants to transfer to Clemson...and we refuse to accept him.
Because?

Well fellow freshman commit Mike Bellamy, who is in danger of failing to qualify, doesn't like him. WTF....

Dabo is really allowing that to happen?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #796
RainMaker
General Manager

Stay classy, ESPN.

http://twitpic.com/4wq8l4
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #797
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Dabo is really allowing that to happen?

Apparently he is the ring leader...he "gave his word"..which will be good for Bellamy to hang his hat on that the former coach loved him come next year if things aren't changed.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #798
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Stay classy, ESPN.

http://twitpic.com/4wq8l4

Eh, it's not as though they're the only people who thought about it, they just knew the depth chart well enough to attach a name to it.