Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-05-2006, 08:23 PM   #751
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

And wow, I never thought these would be the bottom three. Mandissa is probably going home.
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:31 PM   #752
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

?wHO WAS IN bottom three?
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:35 PM   #753
FBPro
College Starter

Madissa
Parris
Elliott
(spoiler)

Mandissa gone.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:36 PM   #754
Joe
Pro Starter

wow, dialidol finally got all 3 correct. they even had the orders right with paris at 7, elliot at 8, and mandisa at 9
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:40 PM   #755
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarGirl
Nobody commented on Kenny's performance?
Well, that guy sounded like Kenny Rogers, but I'm still not sure that he was Kenny Rogers.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:20 PM   #756
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Mandissa wasn't voted out, the producers made a decision to get her out for legal reasons before next week, when they're performing the songs of Queen. Taylor would sing "Fat Bottomed Girls" and Mandissa would sit on him furiously, killing him instantly and starting a panic in the auditorium like when Kong was busting through his chains. From what I understand, lead counsel shared a few liability suit projections with the Simons and that was all it took.

Crim
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:23 PM   #757
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim
Mandissa wasn't voted out, the producers made a decision to get her out for legal reasons before next week, when they're performing the songs of Queen. Taylor would sing "Fat Bottomed Girls" and Mandissa would sit on him furiously, killing him instantly and starting a panic in the auditorium like when Kong was busting through his chains. From what I understand, lead counsel shared a few liability suit projections with the Simons and that was all it took.

Crim

Unfunny to the Nth degree.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:27 PM   #758
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

She deserved to go after that performance. There is no way that she can do that Shania Twain song and stay. Hearing that song should bring a vision of Shania's video for it with her hot little self strutting around and not what we had to watch last night.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:29 PM   #759
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Oh, as as Kenny goes... what's the deal with the lip syncing?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:33 PM   #760
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan
Oh, as as Kenny goes... what's the deal with the lip syncing?

everyone lip syncs on american idol, i think its a rule
Old 04-05-2006, 11:17 PM   #761
She Who Must Be Obeyed
Queen Of All She Surveys

I have found my posting restraint weakness (I watch this show via DVR, hence the delayed reaction)...

Why do they have the voted out folks sing the song that ultimately got them voted out? Why shouldn't all the contestants have their "I'll show you why I'm bad" performances ready to go. Shouldn't you leave it up to them to determine their swan song. It seems like the ultimate humiliation to put someone on stage to repeat a losing performance. Is it just me?
She Who Must Be Obeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:34 PM   #762
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by She Who Must Be Obeyed
I have found my posting restraint weakness (I watch this show via DVR, hence the delayed reaction)...

Why do they have the voted out folks sing the song that ultimately got them voted out? Why shouldn't all the contestants have their "I'll show you why I'm bad" performances ready to go. Shouldn't you leave it up to them to determine their swan song. It seems like the ultimate humiliation to put someone on stage to repeat a losing performance. Is it just me?

My initial thought would be that it's the song they've been practicing all week so it's really the only song they are prepared to sing. If they just got to pick on the spot, they (and the band) wouldn't be ready for it and would most likely lead to a few mistakes.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:36 PM   #763
Schmidty
Coordinator

The voting off of Mandissa shows that America hates extremely talented large, christian, minorities.

She was one of the top 3-4 people in this "game". America is ifull of diotic, image-obsessed assholes.

Stupid show.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:02 AM   #764
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
The voting off of Mandissa shows that America hates extremely talented large, christian, minorities.

She was one of the top 3-4 people in this "game". America is ifull of diotic, image-obsessed assholes.

Stupid show.

How many times did you vote for her?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:05 AM   #765
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
How many times did you vote for her?

Swaggs, Schmidty was keeping his hands too busy while watching Mandisa butcher a Shania Twain song to call.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:16 AM   #766
law90026
College Benchwarmer

I'm honestly surprised Taylor hasn't been bottom 3 yet. His performances over the past 3 weeks have been very meh. Last night was quite possibly his worst and he seems to be regressing every week.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:32 AM   #767
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
Swaggs, Schmidty was keeping his hands too busy while watching Mandisa butcher a Shania Twain song to call.

First of all, judging a person by looking at one appearance is weak.

Second, she was still better than quite a few of others (Paris, Ace, maybe even Taylor).

Third, Shania Twain butchers herself by just existing. Are you a Celine Dion fan too?
Old 04-06-2006, 01:35 AM   #768
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:

Second, she was still better than quite a few of others (Paris, Ace, maybe even Taylor).

Third, Shania Twain butchers herself by just existing. Are you a Celine Dion fan too?

Like it or not, appearance helps sell albums and determine the number of fans. This is not just a singing competition, and it shouldn't be. Mandisa had no shot at winning this show, and neither does Elliot.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:52 AM   #769
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Hey, what did you to do to fun Schmidty?!?

Oh wait, I forgot, no such thing...

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:56 AM   #770
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
Like it or not, appearance helps sell albums and determine the number of fans. This is not just a singing competition, and it shouldn't be. Mandisa had no shot at winning this show, and neither does Elliot.

I disagree with your statement that it shouldn't be just about singing. I think it should be about singing and charisma ONLY - Two things that Mandissa has in spades. The early to mid 70's is my favorite time in music, and a lot of the genius artists from that period wouldn't have fit your criteria, but were very successful.

The fact that image is so important, is an indictment of the shallow idiocy of the fat slobs in this world today. People that are in no better shape than the Mandissas of the world, say that they aren't worthy of their attention regardless of their talent???? This shows hypocrisy, shallowness, and a real lack of a love for music. The tiny minority of intelligent stand no chance against the vast majority of drooling dipshits.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:57 AM   #771
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
Hey, what did you to do to fun Schmidty?!?

Oh wait, I forgot, no such thing...

Fun Schmidty exists.

But not on the internet.

And only to my wife.

Old 04-06-2006, 05:28 AM   #772
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026
I'm honestly surprised Taylor hasn't been bottom 3 yet. His performances over the past 3 weeks have been very meh. Last night was quite possibly his worst and he seems to be regressing every week.

I'm not surprised. He has the biggest fan base.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:38 AM   #773
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I disagree with your statement that it shouldn't be just about singing. I think it should be about singing and charisma ONLY - Two things that Mandissa has in spades. The early to mid 70's is my favorite time in music, and a lot of the genius artists from that period wouldn't have fit your criteria, but were very successful.

The fact that image is so important, is an indictment of the shallow idiocy of the fat slobs in this world today. People that are in no better shape than the Mandissas of the world, say that they aren't worthy of their attention regardless of their talent???? This shows hypocrisy, shallowness, and a real lack of a love for music. The tiny minority of intelligent stand no chance against the vast majority of drooling dipshits.

Mandissa had by FAR the worst performance this week imo (maybe Taylor was close), but has also had several weeks of mediocre performance. This is not an injustice. I think she has one of the best voices yes, but she has not had the best performances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:11 AM   #774
GrantDawg

Quote:

Look, Mandisa has talent, but it was not that uncommon level of talent. She does not have a talent level that overcomes her appearance problems. There are hundreds and possibly thousands of "Mandisa's" around every record studio working as back-up singers. She seems nice enough, but she doesn't have a level of charisma that demands attention. And as others pointed out, she hasn't even performed that well in the last couple of weeks. If that is what "the tiny minority of intelligent" want, then they are not nearly as intelligent as they think.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 04-06-2006 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:00 AM   #775
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Fun Schmidty exists.

But not on the internet.

And only to my wife.

Seriously though, how many times did you vote for her?

If you (and others that kind of like her) are not compelled to call, toll free from the comfort of your home, then how likely are you to buy her CD or see her in concert? We voted for Taylor a bunch (based on his song, b/c Country Roads is a song all West Virginians love) and Bucky a couple of times because we thought he did well. Bucky's singing is kind of growing on me, even though I can barely stand to watch him.

I like Mandisa, but for the past two weeks, she has shouted her way through her songs. If I heard those two performances on the radio, I would flip through. Based on her body of work, I think she probably deserved a couple more weeks, but there are not that many contestants left, so I am not surprised to see her go now.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:11 AM   #776
Daimyo
College Starter

Mandisa has talent but it seemed like nearly every performance of her's started off very weak and then ended with a very good, huge finish. This week was the exception as the whole performance was terrible. I think America can accept a fat, unattractive idol (who won season 2?), but the margin of error is smaller and they better be great every week.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:28 AM   #777
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Mandisa was a'ight, but not that great. She hadn't been singing well and probably deserved to be in the Bottom 3, at least (with Ace). As Simon says, you have to "bring it" at this stage of the competition. She sang songs that were either too safe or ones that didn't fit her voice. She picked horrid songs and that did her in.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:06 AM   #778
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I'm with the others who felt that Mandissa got a bit jobbed. She was one of the better vocalists, especially early on. I missed last week, so I don't know how she did. This week, I saw her perform, and didn't think she was one of the worst performances of the week. Taylor, who I'm sort of a fan of actually, should have taken that prize home. He was awful. One of those, "that might possibly be one of the worst AI performances at this level ever" moments.

The biggest problem I had with Mandissa's performance was her attire. Appearance counts, and when you weigh 350 pounds and have flab that flops around when you move your arms, you should cover all that shit up. The Gal who went to the final three with Clay and Ruben(sp?) is a good example. She started off looking horrible, but the people worked with her, and found outfits that complimented her form. They essentially put Mandissa in a tube top on Tuesday night. I really shouldn't be too surprised by this turn of results.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:48 PM   #779
Thomkal
Head Coach

The "gal that went to the final three with Clay and Ruben" is Kimberley Locke, probably still my favorite out of all Idol contestants.

It certainly was a shocker Bottom three tonight especially when the group that beat them out was Ace, Bucky, and Katharine. I thought any of the three could go based on their performance from the night before, but thought it would be Elliott who went from the three. Mandisa started off great, but the last two or three weeks have not been that good for her. So while its surprising she's gone this soon, it wasn't totally undeserved. Still I would have put three or four before her though. (Ace, Bucky, Elliott)

Last edited by Thomkal : 04-06-2006 at 02:04 PM.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:55 PM   #780
Anthony
Banned

Quote:

Stupid show.

i certainly didn't like her. grossly fat, not large - but straight up fat to the point where when i wasn't *literally* cringing when i'd watch her perform i was simply in awe of how "much" there was of her. she was amazingly big.

her voice wasn't that spectacular that you could overlook her obvious "un-idol like" figure. if you gonna look like that as a performer your first name better be Aretha.

Last edited by Anthony : 04-06-2006 at 01:59 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:39 PM   #781
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal
The "gal that went to the final three with Clay and Ruben" is Kimberley Locke, probably still my favorite out of all Idol contestants.

And she only got that far because she was fucking one of the producers.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:26 PM   #782
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
And she only got that far because she was fucking one of the producers.

Paula?
Old 04-06-2006, 07:57 PM   #783
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
And she only got that far because she was eating the producers.

Yup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:21 PM   #784
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

List of songs the contestants are singing tonight (so, don't go here if you like to be surprised)

hxxp://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2006-04-10-idol-queen-songs_x.htm
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:26 PM   #785
Joe
Pro Starter

wow kelly sucked. I'm surprised she didnt ask "Whats a bohemian?"
Old 04-11-2006, 07:31 PM   #786
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Spanky McPhee coming up. I'm hoping for head-to-toe leather with a plunging neckline!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:35 PM   #787
Joe
Pro Starter

mama mcphee is hot
Old 04-11-2006, 07:35 PM   #788
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'm biased cuz this is one of my fav. queen songs...but damm i just got chills. so far so good
Old 04-11-2006, 07:59 PM   #789
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i was ready to hate bucky tonight but i totally didn't.

totally non-scientifically...just "what i enjoyed" versus "what was good musically"

1. mcphee
2. elliot
3. bucky (!)
Old 04-11-2006, 09:31 PM   #790
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone else feel they needed to know the safe word when watching Pickler?

The safe word is banana...

We were joking at work that she word ask what a Bo-he-man Rah-so-dee was...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 04-11-2006, 09:48 PM   #791
GrantDawg

Bad night. I thought my two favorites (Chris and Katharine) were awful.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:12 PM   #792
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
Bad night. I thought my two favorites (Chris and Katharine) were awful.

Wow, I thought Katharine was great. She looked very good and she generally sounded very good, I thought.

I'm not sure of the order of my top 5, but the bottom 3 are:

1. Ace - I think he will probably stick around due to his female fans, but he sounded bad.

2. Bucky - Probably will go home, but he sounded better than Ace. Too bad, he still doesn't enuciate.

3. Chris - Has a very good voice, but I didn't like the song choice at all.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:14 PM   #793
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Wow, I thought Katharine was great. She looked very good and she generally sounded very good, I thought.

She was not singing. She was yelling. It was rough, rough, rough.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:24 PM   #794
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

It was Queen night in the world of the idol, which, as you can imagine, is an opportunity to take on some of the great rock anthems of history, and look like a fool doing it.

Tonight wasn't horrible. It was a nice change for me knowing all the songs from the first couple of chords. And, as talented as Freddie Mercury was, these songs leave a lot of room for different vocal styles.

I wasn't happy with the arrangements. That's where Queen always stood out, and many of their songs were almost mini-operas. Shortening these songs to one and one-half minutes is difficult. I'm surprised I don't like opera at all, given Queen has always been one of my favorite groups.

Before anyone bites the dust, it's time for the weekly Solecismic Ido Ratings.

1. Elliott Yamin. When Elliott's on and he's confident, he has a great vocal range and he's not afraid to take on a difficult song. He wasn't perfect, but he's the one I most see being able to step into that lead role in one of these songs. With work, he could be perfect. Score of 89.

2. Kellie Pickler. I don't take off points for looking like Stevie Nicks on a heroin binge with that bizarre lighting, hair and makeup. I'll give her a lot of credit for taking the song most likely to make someone look like a hack and doing a credible job. She has a very nice tone at times, and it seems likely she'll be a star even if she doesn't win this competition. And that's something that seems possible, though she isn't the most talented singer. Score of 87.

3. Paris Bennett. She needed a big performance today, and I think she got it. Finishing in the bottom three last week obviously made her work harder this week, and out of all the performances tonight, this one was the closest to being recordable. Score of 83.

4. Chris Daughtry. I love Queen's music. Leave it to Chris to find a song I don't know, and now one I don't like. I think he did well, but it's always the same performance with Chris, and I often don't enjoy his performances though I respect his singing ability. He needs to stretch his performance range. Score of 72.

5. Katharine McPhee. She picked a home run song, and missed a lot of notes. Maybe it was the late change of songs, but she hadn't worked things out yet, and was even ahead of the band for a bit early in the song. By far her worst performance, and I think she's in a little trouble. Score of 70.

6. Bucky Covington. Bucky looks like a country bar singer, he twangs like one, and he found a Queen song that twangs a bit. But I don't think he's putting his best foot forward when he does this. I think he'd have more success if he put a little crooner into his work, because he always sounds so plain and boring when he twangs away. It was competent, but not good enough for this level of the competition. Score of 63.

7. Taylor Hicks. Oh, he's safe. He could take off his pants and fart the melodies and he'd still be safe. But there's a reason every single karaoke bar has Crazy Little Thing Called Love at the top of its playlist. Everyone can sing it. I think I would have respected him more had he played up the Elvis in this song. He didn't. He just bounced around and did a few trademark Taylor yells. It wasn't pleasant. Score of 62.

8. Ace Young. I really thought he had a chance to shine tonight. But he picked a bad song for him, clearly got on the nerves of the band members, and just did nothing on the stage. The song completely overwhelmed him. Score of 57.

Bottom Three: Ace for certain. I think Bucky's back in serious danger. And Katharine probably took a chunk out her fan base with an uneven performance.

Who's Gone: Ace.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:39 PM   #795
Cuckoo
College Starter

Put me in the camp that really enjoyed Katharine. I didn't mind Pickler or Bucky too much tonight, and overall I didn't think it was that bad of a night. Worst ones in my opinion were Ace and Paris. And if I had to pick, I'd say Paris is gone.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:42 PM   #796
Rizon
Pro Starter

Ace: "I wan't to make your song candyass"

Queen: "You aren't going to pussyout our music"

SERVED.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:52 PM   #797
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I actually find a lot of agreement with Jim's rankings. I thought Bucky's rendition was fun, but there are only 8 people left and a lot of people did pretty good this week. Though, I think Katherine may find herself back in the bottom 3. Put Ace in there, as usual, and round it off with a suprise of Taylor.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:19 PM   #798
Swaggs
Coordinator

Am I the only one that is starting to like Bucky? I guess Southern rock is one of my favorite genres to listen to, so that may be why, but I think he kind of has an Allman Bros thing going on. I think he is going to do a lot better than people think (and probably advance further than a few favorites).

Anyway... my bottom 3:

Paris -- I just have a tough time taking her seriously on more mature songs. I think Simon nailed it a few weeks ago when he said she was sort of like a little girl playing dressup while performing.

Katherine -- She is beautiful, but I don't think she is that endearing to females, based on the glares I get from my wife when I say she looks hot. And if women are not voting for her, men are probably to apathetic to carry her through many more weeks.

Ace -- To me, he is clearly the worst vocalist left. He has looks, but he isn't really charming enough to have carved out a personality for himself yet, and I don't think he goes on. I'd pick him to go home.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:23 PM   #799
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I like Bucky, but as the field gets smaller (and I don't see him leaving this week), he gets more and more on my list of "gotta go soon". I don't see him as good as my personal Top 3, but there is a chance he gets in American Idol's Top 3.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:33 PM   #800
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Katherine -- She is beautiful, but I don't think she is that endearing to females, based on the glares I get from my wife when I say she looks hot. And if women are not voting for her, men are probably to apathetic to carry her through many more weeks.

Sure we aren't married to the same woman? My wife pretty much dislikes her.. I think the words Rhino and Bitch were thrown around a few times.