Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #751
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

The "human element" strikes again. I prefer games to be decided by players, not umps. Why replay won't get expanded I don't know. Credit to the Tigers for taking full advantage.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #752
Jas_lov
College Starter

It'd be simple to implement, too. Just have a guy in the booth looking at the replay. Is he out or safe? He's out, inning over. That took less than a minute. Instead, they continue to reward incompetence. Jeff Nelson made that horrible call at 2nd. Mr. infield fly, Sam Holbrook, is at 1B. He was so good in that Braves-Cards game that they rewarded him with an ALCS appearance. You can't get rid of these guys, even the bad ones.

Last edited by Jas_lov : 10-14-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #753
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That's why i wanted the NFL to hold out and crush the refs union. Some of these other leagues with even shittier and well protected refs might act as well.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #754
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah, tennis has it perfect. I don't understand why baseball can't basically do that with a booth umpire.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #755
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Nah, I don't think its about the unions - as we saw in the NFL, it was more out owner arrogance and an unwillingness to pay market value - a belief that consumers would take whatever they offered.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #756
tarcone
Coordinator

I dont post a lot in the regular season. I am not the die hard baseball fan like I used to be. I do watch the Cards since all their games are on TV. Or I sit on the front patio and listen to them on the radio. Mike Shannon is fun to listen too.

And I posted that last post to generate a response from SI. It seems he is a cross state rival fan. So i wanted a reaction from him.

The Reds are using the Cardinal model. They just lack 2 things that the Cards had with Jockety. They lack an Albert Pujols and a Dave Duncan. If they had those 2 things, they would have a stranglehold on the division. Jockety knows his stuff and can work magic. He was handcuffed by a limited payroll. The Cards couldnt go out and sign the stud like the fans wanted. But what the Cards could do with Duncan is go the reclamation route with pitchers. How many older pitchers came into St Louis with an injury history or a string of bad seasons and turn it around. Too many to count. Then we could afford a great hitter or 2. Add in some role players. and there you go.
Add in the fact that our fans love our players, and the players appreciate that and want to come to St Louis or stay in St louis, and you have a winning recipe.

It will be interesting to see Where our pitching is in 4 seasons.

And playoff baseball is a lot more exciting then a July 23rd afternoon game against Houston. So I do post more now.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #757
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Great start to the ALCS by the Tigers, a team that's struggled on the road all year.

The trade for Infante and Sanchez looked like a complete dud early on, but both guys, especially Sanchez, have really come on of late.

Go Tigers!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #758
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

20 of 21 innings the Yankees haven't scored against Detroit and now Verlander at home is in play.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #759
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I dont post a lot in the regular season. I am not the die hard baseball fan like I used to be. I do watch the Cards since all their games are on TV. Or I sit on the front patio and listen to them on the radio. Mike Shannon is fun to listen too.

And I posted that last post to generate a response from SI. It seems he is a cross state rival fan. So i wanted a reaction from him.

The Reds are using the Cardinal model. They just lack 2 things that the Cards had with Jockety. They lack an Albert Pujols and a Dave Duncan. If they had those 2 things, they would have a stranglehold on the division. Jockety knows his stuff and can work magic. He was handcuffed by a limited payroll. The Cards couldnt go out and sign the stud like the fans wanted. But what the Cards could do with Duncan is go the reclamation route with pitchers. How many older pitchers came into St Louis with an injury history or a string of bad seasons and turn it around. Too many to count. Then we could afford a great hitter or 2. Add in some role players. and there you go.
Add in the fact that our fans love our players, and the players appreciate that and want to come to St Louis or stay in St louis, and you have a winning recipe.

And playoff baseball is a lot more exciting then a July 23rd afternoon game against Houston. So I do post more now.

Thank you for admitting you are a front runner and know jack shit about baseball and baseball management.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #760
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

I wanted to add "even in a non-save situation" but thought it would be too wordy. Guess I should have

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #761
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

2007 90 mil 11th in MLB
2006 88 mil 11th in MLB
2005 92 mil 5th in MLB
2004 83 mil 9th in MLB
2003 83 mil 8th in MLB
2002 74 mil 13th in MLB
2001 78 mil 9th in MLB
2000 63 mil 11th in MLB
1999 46 mil 15th in MLB
1998 62 mil 5th in MLB
1997 44 mil 10th in MLB
1996 38 mil 9th in MLB
1995 30 mil 16th in MLB

Only in Walt's first year were the Cards not in the top half of payrolls, and most of the time they were in the top eleven. Whatever you want to say about Walt, he wasn't handcuffed by a limited payroll.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #762
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Also, just saw the call: awful, awful call. Just expand replay already. I'm ready for robot umpires. I don't care about the "human element" in officiating. Just get it right.

SI

Old 10-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #763
tarcone
Coordinator

Walt was hand cuffed. You should have heard for the calls to sign bigger names while he was here. But he couldnt. Upper management wouldnt allow it. The Cards were on a budget. It may be more then Pitt or Cinci. but it was still a budget.
But St Louis picked up Chris Carpenter when many thought his career was over. I could name many pitchers that Duncan rebuilt. That allowed for the signing of a Mark McGwire. As did playing a non-hitting defensive catcher (Matheny) who came cheap. And Middle Infielders that could field, but were average hitters. Baseball doesnt pay money for defense.

And, Im not sure what a front runner is. But Im a Cardinal fan and they are always in the front. So that must be me. I accept that compliment. Thanks, RKG.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #764
tarcone
Coordinator

And how could I forget about all that home grown goodness.

Thanks for reminding me Freese. CARDS UP 2-0.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #765
kingfc22
Head Coach

Can we play all 7 in St. Louis? This Giants team just can't score at home.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #766
tarcone
Coordinator

Cardinals not having any problems.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #767
Bad-example
College Starter

Ugh. Bad enough to be trailing the Cards. Just got a call from my Cards-fan cousin, gloating. Gloating about leading game one of a seven game series.

Cards fans can be mighty tough to stomach. At least they aren't as annoying as fans of the Phils, Braves or Yankers.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #768
kingfc22
Head Coach

Well my evening just freed up.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #769
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Hey I'm not counting anything a W until the 27th out. Six runs means squat to me, but it's a great start.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #770
tarcone
Coordinator

This is nothing but exciting baseball. Giants fighting back.

Come on Lynn.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #771
kingfc22
Head Coach

So we score 3 while I'm not watching. Guess I should keep doing what works right?
Old 10-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #772
kingfc22
Head Coach

Huge play there to keep it 6-4.

Now will the Giants get NLDS Timmy or regular season Timmy?
Old 10-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #773
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Walt was hand cuffed. You should have heard for the calls to sign bigger names while he was here. But he couldnt. Upper management wouldnt allow it. The Cards were on a budget. It may be more then Pitt or Cinci. but it was still a budget.

By that measure the Yankees are handcuffed. You should hear their fans about signings. Every team has a budget. Walt's Cardinal teams had a higher budget than most of MLB. Yes, he made a lot of good finds, but he also spent a lot of money.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #774
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

To non-fans of those teams, it must be very frustrating. Hoping every year is your once in a decade division title. Or WC appearance. Then when its not, and the teams that figured out how to win are there. Its like someone kicks you in the balls every October.

I feel for you. Really.

All franchises have peaks and valleys. Be thankful you have had your share of good luck. Even the Yankees sucked for quite a few years from the mid 80s until the mid 90s.

The Red Sox went damn near 100 years without a WS championship. You act like the Cardinals win the World Series every single year. They barely even snuck into the playoffs the past 2 seasons.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #775
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
So we score 3 while I'm not watching. Guess I should keep doing what works right?

We have a superstition at games that scoring will happen if one of us gets up. It's a baseball superstition so it's one of those things that happened once and happens enough that we make note of it when it happens and don't when it doesn't. Anyways, so when at a game, you have to get up when the team you want to win is up. They might not always score. But if you get up when the opposing team is once, they "always" score (even if they don't always).

SI

Old 10-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #776
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Yeah, tennis has it perfect.

Maybe, but I still have a hunch 80% of tennis message boards is still posts complaining about officiating.

Last edited by molson : 10-14-2012 at 09:22 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:24 PM   #777
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Giants are back in the game.

Descalso with a heck of a play to keep it a 2 run lead.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:24 PM   #778
kingfc22
Head Coach

One of these days Pence will get a clutch hit. Until then, I'll keep waiting.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #779
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Maybe, but I still have a hunch 80% of tennis message boards is still posts complaining about officiating.

Not that I've ever seen or heard from my circles or my occasional visits to tennis warehouse. Only Grand Slams and a few random tournies have Hawkeye anyway.

Cricket also uses it, for what it's worth.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #780
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
All franchises have peaks and valleys. Be thankful you have had your share of good luck. Even the Yankees sucked for quite a few years from the mid 80s until the mid 90s.

The Red Sox went damn near 100 years without a WS championship. You act like the Cardinals win the World Series every single year. They barely even snuck into the playoffs the past 2 seasons.

I know. I was being a butt here. The Cards were not that good in the 90s. LaRussa turned them around.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #781
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Descalso with a heck of a play to keep it a 2 run lead.

Play of the game by far.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #782
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Nah, I don't think its about the unions - as we saw in the NFL, it was more out owner arrogance and an unwillingness to pay market value - a belief that consumers would take whatever they offered.

No it wasn't, in the NFL it was about gaining enough control to let them replace officials when needed, and they got those concessions. The refs could have got their money much sooner if they had caved earlier on the full-time crews and the farm system.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #783
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Also, just saw the call: awful, awful call. Just expand replay already. I'm ready for robot umpires. I don't care about the "human element" in officiating. Just get it right.

SI

I understand why he blew the call. He's looking to see if Infante is tagged before he reaches for the bag. He wasn't but it turns out that he didn't reach far enough to, you know, actually TOUCH the bag. Blown call but I'm glad it didn't really change the outcome.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #784
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I don't so much fault the umps as they're going to miss calls. Again, we're all only human. But I think the "impartial" judging should be impartial not at the whims of chance.

EDIT: This is unless they are intentional (i.e. giving a better strike zone consistently to one pitcher not a Jim Joyce missed bang-bang call)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-15-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #785
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Again, I don't so much fault the umps as they're going to miss calls. Again, we're all only human. But I think the "impartial" judging should be impartial not at the whims of chance.

SI

Agreed. We've got the capability to get this right. Why aren't we?
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #786
kingfc22
Head Coach

What a fuckin dirty slide. Hope he gets earholed next at bat.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 10-15-2012 at 07:16 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #787
kingfc22
Head Coach

I have no problem with going in hard, but Holliday leapt into a slide that had him landing on the far side of 2nd base.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #788
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

That was indeed a bullshit slide. Holliday is known for being a hard slider, but he also should know better than to mess with a guy's knee like that.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #789
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
I have no problem with going in hard, but Holliday leapt into a slide that had him landing on the far side of 2nd base.

Yeah, and he had just barely begun to slide when he crossed the bag. Not cool.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #790
tarcone
Coordinator

That was an awesome camera shot
Old 10-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #791
kingfc22
Head Coach

Thank you Holliday for pissing off the Giants and waking up the bats.

#asshole

Last edited by kingfc22 : 10-15-2012 at 07:26 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #792
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Fuck you, Matt Holliday. Douchebag.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #793
kingfc22
Head Coach

If nothing else, the Giants have forced Carpenter to throw a lot of pitches.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #794
tarcone
Coordinator

I love that our pitchers can hit
Old 10-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #795
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
I love that our pitchers can hit

Sadly, the Giants have the worst Opp. AVG vs. opposing pitchers.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #796
kingfc22
Head Coach

That bunt looked like it was going foul...
Old 10-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #797
kingfc22
Head Coach

SCUTARO!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #798
kingfc22
Head Coach

Not to mention the brilliant fielding in left by Holliday on that play.

The baseball gods have spoken.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #799
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Seriously, fuck you again Holliday.

But, damn nice play by Kozma there to save a run.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #800
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
But, damn nice play by Kozma there to save a run.

That was one hell of a catch.