Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #751
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Sorry. Went to class.

Open beta starts Thursday through the 10th of October, pre-orders and MoH owners got a two day early access today.

I would love to give good feedback, but I don't feel I am really a good person for that. I played mostly call of duty. Got burnt out on that shit shortly into the latest one.. I played a little bit of BF2, and I feel it is a much better game then CoD, but I didn't have the group of people to play it with. With BF2, without a group of people you know it just isn't the same.

That said, I'm not really qualified to make comparison's to Bf2. I'll do what i can. The new Origin? Not a fan at all.. The game launches from a browser. There is nothing done in game. I click play battlefield 3 from the Origin program, it opens a browser in Chrome. In that browser there is a server list, quick match, etc. I click quick match. It asks to download a couple plug-ins for chrome. Ok. Download the two plug ins. Try this again. Click the quick match. It queues me up and then launches the game and puts me right into the action. I'd rather just open my damn game and use a browser in the actual game.

That being said, the game is fucking beautiful. Just beautiful. I am running everything on high. I am running an i5 2500K, 8gb ram, Radeon HD 6950 2GB on a 24 inch monitor at 1920x1080. I will get an FPS count here shortly, but it ran really good. There was noticeable lag in a few games. That's to be expected I guess. Beta and all. I had a couple that ran smooth, some that ran shit. I did have a weird glitch where I was stuck kind of in the ground? At that time I was lagging pretty bad, though, so that may have been it.

But that was once out of about 3 hours of gameplay in a beta. The gameplay itself was pure battlefield. I didn't once feel like they were going away from what makes them battlefield. Can't obviously report anything about the ranking system, the upgrades, etc as I have not made it that far. The sounds are phenomenal... The one map you get to play is awesome, in my opinion. First stage of rush you are outdoors in a park. Then it rolls into a subway.. and ends in a highly urban area. Just awesome.

So.... Origin will be a mixed bag. Maybe over time it will just become natural but there's no reason an already third-party software should require another application (browser) to play my fucking game. There's the usual lagginess that a beta would have. A glitch. Can't access the options menu until you spawn. That was odd. When you do get to the graphics options you will be pleased with the amount of options you can tweak, though. Once the lag shakes out, a couple bugs get patched, this will be an outstanding game. Fans of BF2 will love it, me thinks.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 09-27-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #752
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I'm trying to get excited about Game of Thrones - Genesis, and I appreciate the detail they have in the "world map" view, but I just can't imagine Cyanide not stuffing this up.

This was released today and there don't seem to be any reviews online yet, that probably isn't a good sign.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #753
SackAttack
Head Coach

Well, the scale of the map is apparently not close to the scale implied in the books. Also, the game takes place way before the events of ASOIAF. Kind of like how LOTR: The Third Age was sort of a 'companion' RPG and really just a generic game that used the LOTR license? I expect this is kind of the same thing.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #754
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yeah...hmm.

I don't suppose there's a demo (yeah right)?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #755
Groundhog
Coordinator

Oh it's out? I thought it was the 30th on Steam? And yeah, the time period is takes place in is apparently from the arrival of the Dornish up until the period just prior to the first book.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #756
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

LOL

Re: First Impressions..

by RClini123 » Wed 28 Sep 2011 22:11
Just played the game at my sucker of a friends house. Let me explain why I call my friend a sucker. The game is a joke. Completely under developed PERIOD. My friend bought the game because he liked the books and shows and he's so sorry he wasted $39.99 on it. And im sure Cyanide Studios is counting on alot on those "impulse buys" from those die hard fans. AND THATS WRONG. I don't know... it dosen't seem right to me, why make a game thats worth $9.99 yet charge $39.99 to rip people off and lose more customers in the long run, when you could have spent some more time and energy making a decent game worthy of being the official Game of Thrones game and charge more for it, and people would still pay. In the end its worth the trouble no?.... I guess thats the difference between being greedy and wanting quick money then being honest and offering a fair product that is worth peoples hard earned money. And now you know why theres no demo. Nobody would play a piece of this game be dumb enough to spend $40 bucks on it. Good going Cyanide Studios.....

Re: First Impressions..

by corn » Wed 28 Sep 2011 23:10
http://www.youtube.com/user/Dukely1#p/u/1/gg8NsgL2lVA

This guy has a "Let's play" up for those of you wanting to see the game but are waiting for the download/buying.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-28-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #757
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh it's out? I thought it was the 30th on Steam? And yeah, the time period is takes place in is apparently from the arrival of the Dornish up until the period just prior to the first book.

May not be out in Australia yet, though it looks like it was scheduled to come out tomorrow in the US but was released today on Steam. Wouldn't surprise me if it was released a day early to get impulse buyers before the review embargo is lifted.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #758
Groundhog
Coordinator

Other impressions seem to be a little better - sounds like it's diplomacy focused.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:28 PM   #759
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Who's getting Rage next Tuesday?

I just ordered from Amazon, you get a $10 credit and they have $0.99 release day shipping.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #760
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Who's getting Rage next Tuesday?

I just ordered from Amazon, you get a $10 credit and they have $0.99 release day shipping.

I am. I have my entire end of the year gaming purchases mapped out on Amazon:

I pre-orderd "Gears 3" off Amazon to get the $20 off my next video game purchase...

I will use that towards "Rage" in which I will get $10 off my next video game purchase...

I will use that towards "Batman: Arkham City" in which I will get $10 off my next video game purchase..

I will use that towards "Modern Warfare 3".

So, that's close to a buy 4 get 1 free type of deal.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 09-29-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #761
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

I pre-orderd "Gears 3" off Amazon to get the $20 off my next video game purchase...

I will use that towards "Rage" in which I will get $10 off my next video game purchase...

I will use that towards "Batman: Arkham City" in which I will get $10 off my next video game purchase..

Well done.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #762
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Other impressions seem to be a little better - sounds like it's diplomacy focused.

Which would actually make sense and maybe even be interesting if done well (and in the faith that a modding community might be able to fix some of its worst points).
Old 09-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #763
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Well done.

Thanks.

We will have to wait and see if I play them at all.

Sadly, the last two Xbox 360 games I bought: "L.A. Noir" and "NCAA 12", I haven't even opened yet.

I have opened and played "Gears 3" already, so, that's a good sign.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 09-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #764
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I agree with DT, this sounds like a game that might be worth a purchase after modding and patching and during a holiday Steam sale.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #765
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I have a tough decision. Rage or Battlefield 3 at full price?

The other I will wait for it to hit they $29.99 price point.

Has much been said about Rage's multiplayer?
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #766
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree with DT, this sounds like a game that might be worth a purchase after modding and patching and during a holiday Steam sale.

Hopefully there's an active modding community that develops around it. Back to working on Westeros: Total War for me.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:57 PM   #767
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yeah, gotta love Amazon.

I traded in Madden towards Rage and will use that $10 credit for either NBA 2k12 or something else as I've already preordered Skyrim from Best Buy with a giftcard I had.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #768
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
I have a tough decision. Rage or Battlefield 3 at full price?

The other I will wait for it to hit they $29.99 price point.

Has much been said about Rage's multiplayer?

I'm not hearing much greatness from the BF3 beta, so I would say Rage, but honestly I don't know much about it's MP and you know BF3 will focus mainly on MP.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:04 PM   #769
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Not surprised about ASOIAF.

It's Cyanide.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:04 PM   #770
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I'm not hearing much greatness from the BF3 beta, so I would say Rage, but honestly I don't know much about it's MP and you know BF3 will focus mainly on MP.

Read about Caspian Border.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #771
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Anybody actually been able to play a game online with the BF3 demo on 360?

So far my son has gotten it d'loaded but can't get a game (I gather the server(s) are down).
Old 09-29-2011, 09:28 PM   #772
MJ4H
Coordinator

Downloaded Zelda 4 Swords Adventure (free on 3DS) today.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:52 PM   #773
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Read about Caspian Border.

Looks great, but too much lagging right now for anyone to really see what this game has to offer.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:44 AM   #774
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Hopefully there's an active modding community that develops around it. Back to working on Westeros: Total War for me.

Is that for Medieval 2? I actually bought that on the Steam sale solely because I stumbled upon screenshots of the Westeros mod.

I played around with GOT:Genesis for an hour or less today. Not my thing at all... seems a waste of a license.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:36 AM   #775
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is that for Medieval 2? I actually bought that on the Steam sale solely because I stumbled upon screenshots of the Westeros mod.

I played around with GOT:Genesis for an hour or less today. Not my thing at all... seems a waste of a license.

It is indeed. Still in development, but there should be an alpha in the forums still i think:

Westeros: Total War - Total War Center Forums

Be forewarned though, things have significantly changed in the Beta. New map, reworking of ancilleries, etc. Problem is that it's quite slow-going getting it out.

Then again, if all you want is a campaign map of Westeros to kick Lannister ass on (although typically I auto-resolve my battles so i can't speak too much to the graphics on the alpha at the moment) and are willing to overlook some holes, the alpha is still enjoyable.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-30-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #776
mckerney
Coordinator

New content coming out for Portal 2 and it is even free on 360. It will have.single and multiplayer challenges and more coop maps.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:43 PM   #777
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Anybody actually been able to play a game online with the BF3 demo on 360?

So far my son has gotten it d'loaded but can't get a game (I gather the server(s) are down).
I was able to. It's really bad. Buggy as hell and the gameplay is just weird. Real shaky and tough to see anything. I know they were going for realism, but I feel like I'm running around with a load in my pants.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:48 PM   #778
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I was able to. It's really bad. Buggy as hell and the gameplay is just weird. Real shaky and tough to see anything. I know they were going for realism, but I feel like I'm running around with a load in my pants.

Thanks, he finally got it to load tonight & played for the past hour or so.

Some of the bugs/glitches are pretty spectacular, he was running through the subway and there's all of these stationary white lines just over his head. I'm thinking florescent light tubes that aren't properly attached to the ceiling or something. Uh-uh. They were apparently remnants of bullet trails just hanging around a minute or so after the shots were fired.

Also watched him get killed by a guy whose image on screen was facing forward toward a wall. Guy pulls a weapons & shoots the wall ... and my son hits the ground dead. Basically what you saw & what actually happened (he was facing my son & blew him away) weren't synched up, looked like they were off by 90 degrees.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:41 AM   #779
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Cannot wait until Tuesday.. (Rage)

RAGE Video Game, Jackal Canyon: Recover The Decryptor HD | Video Clip | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com
Old 10-01-2011, 09:26 AM   #780
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Ditto on Rage, pre-loaded it last night.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #781
frnk55
High School Varsity

Looking forward to Rage also but I hope there is not a lot of driving in it. Driving on the pc can be tough.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #782
frnk55
High School Varsity

Wtf?
2 more dlc's for Fallout Vegas. Anyone have any input on these 2? I still haven't finished Lonesome road.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/112100/
Oh and this game is tempting for just 5 bucks.

Last edited by frnk55 : 10-01-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #783
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
Save 50% on Avadon: The Black Fortress on Steam
Oh and this game is tempting for just 5 bucks.
So I bought Avadon when it first came out at $10. Personally, I'm having a hard time getting into the game. Even though it has old school graphics, the story and gameplay are supposed to be very well done. I've read a few reviews (mostly favorable), and scoured the developer's website and forums. He has a small but very loyal following. I'm gonna give it another go soon. I would agree though, for $5, it would be hard to pass up. Let me know if you get it...
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #784
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Wtf?
2 more dlc's for Fallout Vegas. Anyone have any input on these 2? I still haven't finished Lonesome road.

There are some cool weapons in the Gun Runners' Arsenal DLC but I recently started a new playthrough and can't afford them yet.

The other one is just all of the preorder bonus starter packs. Not really worth getting imo.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #785
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
So I bought Avadon when it first came out at $10. Personally, I'm having a hard time getting into the game. Even though it has old school graphics, the story and gameplay are supposed to be very well done. I've read a few reviews (mostly favorable), and scoured the developer's website and forums. He has a small but very loyal following. I'm gonna give it another go soon. I would agree though, for $5, it would be hard to pass up. Let me know if you get it...
For 5 bucks I bought it. Problem is I have to many games to get to and right now I'm addicted to Fallout wanderers edition. So it will be awhile.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #786
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
For 5 bucks I bought it. Problem is I have to many games to get to and right now I'm addicted to Fallout wanderers edition. So it will be awhile.
On the Games Specials/Discounts thread, Peregrine has some additional information about the Developer (Post 2105): here
Old 10-03-2011, 01:51 AM   #787
mckerney
Coordinator

Finished preloading earlier today, about 21 hours until it unlocks.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:56 AM   #788
bhlloy
Coordinator

Dear god the Witcher 2 is a buggy POS still, even with the 2.0 patching. I'm not sure I can stomach a game that I have to restart at least once every 30 mins because the controls get completely locked and I can't move.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:41 AM   #789
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Dear god the Witcher 2 is a buggy POS still, even with the 2.0 patching. I'm not sure I can stomach a game that I have to restart at least once every 30 mins because the controls get completely locked and I can't move.
Ugh, really? I just finished downloading the 2.0 patch over the weekend. Hmmm, might have to hold out until 2.1.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #790
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Finished preloading earlier today, about 21 hours until it unlocks.

It just so happens I have tomorrow off.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #791
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
Ugh, really? I just finished downloading the 2.0 patch over the weekend. Hmmm, might have to hold out until 2.1.

To an outsider who knows nothing about the game development I'm not sure this is something they are going to be able to fix anytime soon. We've had 2 major patch releases now with these kinds of issues well known and they are still out there. I hope I'm wrong but it would seem to be a "core game" issue that is going to be very hard to squash.

The particular issue I seem to get is every time the game goes into mini-game/alternate control mode (button mash to intimidate or throwing bomb for example) there's a decent chance that when it comes out again, the game is completely unresponsive. If you look around there's plenty of flavors of these bugs out there but that seems to be the one I'm having. And yes, my drivers are all up to date.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:44 PM   #792
mckerney
Coordinator

22 GBs take a long time to decrypt.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #793
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Wish UPS would get here before I have to leave for the day.. (Rage)

Rage Video Review Video - PS3 - IGN
Old 10-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #794
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Just picked it up on Steam. Luckily the client I'm at today has a super fast internet connection
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:00 PM   #795
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I'm only home on weekends so I have to wait .

Old 10-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #796
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Just picked it up on Steam. Luckily the client I'm at today has a super fast internet connection

Should look really awesome on a pc.. I got it for the x360.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:09 PM   #797
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Im debating whether or not to upgrade my vid card for this and Skyrim. My 5850 still more than holds its own though. Im greedy.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:09 PM   #798
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Should look really awesome on a pc.. I got it for the x360.

It may not yet. It's doesn't run well on ATI cards at the moment, though new drivers are supposed to be coming out later today. It took me a while to even get it running, but there's problems with textures taking a few seconds to load when you move or turn. I read it might be a problem with it not recognizing VRAM on ATI cards so it loads everything off the hard drive when it needs to load new textures. NVIDIA cards seem to work ok, but not for everyone.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #799
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Very un-id like.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #800
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Yea, you guys discussing the game got me interested. But this has made me leery to order. I will probably be waiting a little bit.

Raging About Rage PC | Rock, Paper, Shotgun