Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-16-2007, 08:30 PM   #751
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
His biggest flaw is he's stubborn with the offense and if its not working he continues doing the same things because he thinks it will eventually work. The Pitt loss was part RR and part Pat White injury. The loss to South Florida last year was almost entirely on RR and he tried to play them the same way this year.

With that said, I'd hate to see him go. He's one of the top coaches in the country and he's a perfect fit for WVU. He doesn't top recruiting rankings because he recruits for his system, he has ties to the area, and he wins. West Virginia is not going to find a better coach.

WVU has played above itself for so long because three of its last four coaches were:

Tommy Bowden
Don Nehlen
Rich Rodriguez

Nothing better is coming down the pike.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:31 PM   #752
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Respect for Coach Rodriguez has gone down immensely. First, he calls Terrell Pryor (a top-rated QB recruit) and tells him that he is going to Michigan before he tells his team. And now, he apparently resigned, effective 1/04/08, which is the day after our bowl game. So, we cannot really sign a new HC or replace the staff (and get them all on the same page for recruiting) until after that. I'm not sure if he actually thought that we would let him coach the Fiesta Bowl or if he is hoping to Isomewhat) wiggle out of his $4M buyout.

Either way, pretty BS move on his part.

I don't think he had any intentions of coaching the bowl game, this is him trying to buy some time to contact all of his recruits and get them to Michigan before we hire another coach. From what I've read about coach Rodriquez this is his personality. He'll do whatever it takes to put himself in the best situation possible regardless of who it affects.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:33 PM   #753
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Respect for Coach Rodriguez has gone down immensely. First, he calls Terrell Pryor (a top-rated QB recruit) and tells him that he is going to Michigan before he tells his team. And now, he apparently resigned, effective 1/04/08, which is the day after our bowl game. So, we cannot really sign a new HC or replace the staff (and get them all on the same page for recruiting) until after that. I'm not sure if he actually thought that we would let him coach the Fiesta Bowl or if he is hoping to Isomewhat) wiggle out of his $4M buyout.

Either way, pretty BS move on his part.

It's totally a ploy to try to get out of the buyout, but we are standing strong. From what I've just read he will not actually coach the game, but WVU will absolutely not back down. We will get our $4 million.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:34 PM   #754
DeToxRox
Head Coach

From a Detroit writers blog (Terry Foster if anyone cares)

It will be interesting to know who the money men are that brought Rich Rodriguez to the University of Michigan because Michigan is not paying the $4 million buy out to West Virginia. Two members of the Michigan mafia agreed to split up the cost between them and they have 30 days to make good on the deal.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:35 PM   #755
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety View Post
Michigan -

STOP TAKING OUR COACHES.

That is all.

The University of Michigan - West Virginia University: Ann Arbor Campus

To be in accordance with Title IX, Michigan is required to take two women's coaches as well. Who are the best women's coaches at WVU?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:36 PM   #756
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm getting a little more nervous now.

Should Rod leave, Terry Bowden has offered himself up as a candidate. That would be interesting, as we play Auburn early next season.

He was offered the job when Don stepped aside and withdrew his name. That' be interesting.

I don;t know if many people on the board realize how many good coaches are connected to the state and the institution, but there are a lot out there.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:42 PM   #757
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
To be in accordance with Title IX, Michigan is required to take two women's coaches as well. Who are the best women's coaches at WVU?

A Michigan fan actually stopped by our board today to ask if our baseball coach was any good.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:43 PM   #758
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety View Post
He was offered the job when Don stepped aside and withdrew his name. That' be interesting.

I don;t know if many people on the board realize how many good coaches are connected to the state and the institution, but there are a lot out there.

I have no doubt in my mind that they can get a very good coach because the facilities are being upgraded, the money will be there after the buyout, and the returning talent is good enough to compete for a national championship. I'm just hoping they hire the best coach they can rather than handing it to someone with state ties just for the sake of doing so.

I was never a big Don Nehlen fan, but I have to say hindsight (even before this mess) has given me a different perspective. He was a very good, but not great coach, that had immense loyalty to the school. I have no doubt in my mind that if he had been offered the best job in the country at the highest salary he would have stayed at WVU and wouldn't have given it much thought. I guess we were spoiled by having that kind of loyalty around for so long.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:44 PM   #759
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
A Michigan fan actually stopped by our board today to ask if our baseball coach was any good.

Is he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:45 PM   #760
timmynausea
College Starter

I think Terry Bowden could make an OK backup plan as long as he can bring in an awesome staff. I think he would make an OK figurehead type coach. It's my understanding that he is not our first choice, though.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:46 PM   #761
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

I haven't been online all day until now, and when I saw the headline on ESPN that RR was going to Michigan I almost fell out of my chair. I saw the meetings on Friday but did not think Michigan had the cajones to do something like this. This move should completely change the look of the Big 10 now. Move over Sweater Vest Tressel, your nemesis may have finally arrived.....

Quote:
Old 12-16-2007, 08:46 PM   #762
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Is he?

You guys are welcome to him.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:47 PM   #763
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have no doubt in my mind that they can get a very good coach because the facilities are being upgraded, the money will be there after the buyout, and the returning talent is good enough to compete for a national championship. I'm just hoping they hire the best coach they can rather than handing it to someone with state ties just for the sake of doing so.

I was never a big Don Nehlen fan, but I have to say hindsight (even before this mess) has given me a different perspective. He was a very good, but not great coach, that had immense loyalty to the school. I have no doubt in my mind that if he had been offered the best job in the country at the highest salary he would have stayed at WVU and wouldn't have given it much thought. I guess we were spoiled by having that kind of loyalty around for so long.

Yeah, and Don had no ties to WV or the institution. Rich is from Fairmont, graduated from WVU, coached for Nehlen, coached Granville State - he was a walking WV advertisement. He was plucked from an OC position for his first Div-1A head coach position at a BCS school. If anyone would have loyalty to WVU, it'd be him.

To be fair, Don really settled in. No matter how poorly you thought of Don Nehlen, you had to admit that two undefeated regular seasons from WVU under him was great cred.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:48 PM   #764
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
You guys are welcome to him.

That depends on whether he is linked to HGH and 'roids or not, I suppose....

Quote:
Old 12-16-2007, 08:50 PM   #765
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm just hoping they hire the best coach they can rather than handing it to someone with state ties just for the sake of doing so.

Obviously I prefer the best candidate for the job, but WV is an odd state, and having a knowledge of how its people think and behave would be beneficial for any coach here. Too bad we can get someone who knows the state and has cred, like Lou Holtz twenty years ago or something.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:07 PM   #766
RendeR
Coordinator

Mr Rodriquez, Welcome to finishing 2nd in the Big-Ten for years to come and losing the last game of every season.

RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:39 PM   #767
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Mr Rodriquez, Welcome to finishing 2nd in the Big-Ten for years to come and losing the last game of every season.

Bah, Sweater Vest will get his.....

Quote:
Old 12-16-2007, 09:42 PM   #768
DeToxRox
Head Coach

One of the two Michigan alumni who will foot the bill for the buyout is rumored to be David Brandon, CEO of Dominos Pizza, a Michigan alumn and backup QB on one of Bo's teams.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:47 PM   #769
Tigercat
College Starter

Nice of RR to keep the coach seat warm until Michigan hires Miles after the NC game. Don't let this hire fool you! Its just Miles and Michigan trying to deflect attention in a different direction!
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:53 PM   #770
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Nice of RR to keep the coach seat warm until Michigan hires Miles after the NC game. Don't let this hire fool you! Its just Miles and Michigan trying to deflect attention in a different direction!

Liar! Petrino's got it locked up.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:54 PM   #771
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post

Haha well played.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:21 PM   #772
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Someone sent me this link:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=57304057
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:23 PM   #773
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post

Aha, gay insults - WVU's finest at display.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:39 PM   #774
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I just read this from an Associated Press article:

Gov. Joe Manchin blamed the involvement of what he termed "high-priced agents" in college sports.

"I have known Rich for most of his life, from a boy whose only wish was to play football at WVU to a young man whose only wish was to coach at WVU," Manchin said in a statement. "His dreams came true and he brought back with him to West Virginia a love and a loyalty for our state that I though would never change."

Agents, however, have turned Rodriguez's dreams "into just another back-room business deal," Manchin said. "Something is wrong with the profession of college coaching today when a leader's word is no longer his bond."

---------------------

Huh. I guess he did burn a lot of bridges in West Virginia. The governor is actually commenting on this? What word did Coach Rodriguez break exactly? Did he swear that he'd never leave West Virginia to coach elsewhere?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:51 PM   #775
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I just read this from an Associated Press article:

Gov. Joe Manchin blamed the involvement of what he termed "high-priced agents" in college sports.

"I have known Rich for most of his life, from a boy whose only wish was to play football at WVU to a young man whose only wish was to coach at WVU," Manchin said in a statement. "His dreams came true and he brought back with him to West Virginia a love and a loyalty for our state that I though would never change."

Agents, however, have turned Rodriguez's dreams "into just another back-room business deal," Manchin said. "Something is wrong with the profession of college coaching today when a leader's word is no longer his bond."

---------------------

Huh. I guess he did burn a lot of bridges in West Virginia. The governor is actually commenting on this? What word did Coach Rodriguez break exactly? Did he swear that he'd never leave West Virginia to coach elsewhere?

He said it was his dream job at different points. After the Alabama thing last year he said he'd be there a long, long time.

The Governor has been heavily involved with WVU football ever since he played a big role in setting up the Marshall-WVU series which started last year. He really did know Rich from his childhood, though, so that may be part of why he is chiming in. I think Rodriguez worked in a store that Manchin's family owned when he was a teenager. Rich Rodriguez, Nick Saban and West Virginia Governor Joe Manchin are all from within a few miles of each other in Marion County, West Virginia.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:51 PM   #776
MJ4H
Coordinator

Coaches are the devil these days.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:59 AM   #777
Butter
Coordinator

Watching him completely choke away a rivalry game when all he had to do was hand the ball to Slaton every down brought to mind another coach who liked to choke away big rivalry games and big games with national titles on the line...

John Cooper.

I am pretty enthusiastic about this hire. Go RR!
Old 12-17-2007, 08:02 AM   #778
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
He said it was his dream job at different points. After the Alabama thing last year he said he'd be there a long, long time.

The Governor has been heavily involved with WVU football ever since he played a big role in setting up the Marshall-WVU series which started last year. He really did know Rich from his childhood, though, so that may be part of why he is chiming in. I think Rodriguez worked in a store that Manchin's family owned when he was a teenager. Rich Rodriguez, Nick Saban and West Virginia Governor Joe Manchin are all from within a few miles of each other in Marion County, West Virginia.

Gotcha. Based on that history, I definitely see where this would be more personal to the Governor than your typical coaching change. Also, I imagine, that since West Virginia lacks any professional teams or any other major college programs, West Virginia football/basketball is pretty much it in the state.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 12-17-2007, 09:21 AM   #779
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

With all that being said, people DO change. Most of us do not have the same career and life goals later in life that we had, at say, 15 years old. A dream job at WVU in his 20's is something different in his 40's. I don't blame WVU and its fans for being upset, but let's be realistic. Who wouldn't take a higher paying higher profile job if it was offered to them? I know I would. Loyalty is fine, but unless it is your family, things can change. WVU should be happy they had such a good coach for the period of time that they did. Many schools never get that kind of success, especially at a tier 2 or 3 school like WVU. And before you get upset about that comment, compare your football record for the last 50 years to those of schools like Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Florida State, and Penn State. No comparison. Michigan is the all time winningest college football program, and RR would be nuts to not take that job.

Quote:
Old 12-17-2007, 10:32 AM   #780
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
With all that being said, people DO change. Most of us do not have the same career and life goals later in life that we had, at say, 15 years old. A dream job at WVU in his 20's is something different in his 40's. I don't blame WVU and its fans for being upset, but let's be realistic. Who wouldn't take a higher paying higher profile job if it was offered to them? I know I would. Loyalty is fine, but unless it is your family, things can change. WVU should be happy they had such a good coach for the period of time that they did. Many schools never get that kind of success, especially at a tier 2 or 3 school like WVU. And before you get upset about that comment, compare your football record for the last 50 years to those of schools like Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Florida State, and Penn State. No comparison. Michigan is the all time winningest college football program, and RR would be nuts to not take that job.

If it were a simple change of heart WVU fans wouldn't be as pissed off. You have to look at the entirety of the situation; what WVU's boosters and AD did for RR and what RR has been saying since he was hired.

Here's the situation as a whole to best of my knowledge. I don't live in the state anymore and I haven't visited in quite some time so some of the others can probably add even more to this.

*Grew up in Fairmont.
*Played at WVU.
*Assistant Coach at WVU under Nehlen.
*Coached at two small West Virginia Conference schools that gave him complete control over football.
*Always stated WVU was his dream job and it was a foregone conclusion that he would get the job when Nehlen retired.
*Nehlen retires, Rodriguez is hired.
*Reiterated that it was his dream job.
*Then reportedly sent feelers out for the Kentucky opening a couple years after he was hired.
*Kept saying it was his dream job.
*Is given complete control over the football program. More control than even Nehlen had.
*Shows genuine interest in the Alabama opening, but eventually settles on using it to leverage as much money out of the school and its boosters as he possibly could (the school and boosters were literally putting together every penny and resource they could to keep him). He got a raise for himself and his assistants, a plane for recruiting, and guaranteed facility upgrades.
*Plays the Alabama interest off as getting the things necessary to compete nationally in the long run.
*Tells WVU fans and the AD that he's happy at WVU and will be there for "a long, long time".
*Meets with Michigan without letting anyone at WVU know about it.
*Even after the fact won't talk to anyone at WVU about it.
*Takes the job.
*Informs his potential prized recruit about it before he tells his team.
*Officially resigns the day after the bowl game he will not be coaching in putting WVU in a situation where they can't hire a new coach or do much in terms of damage control in recruiting. He's doing this as an attempt to leverage his way out of his buyout and so he can pick the players out of the recruiting class he wants to take to Michigan and get them on board there without WVU being able to do anything about it.

Did RR do some fantastic things at WVU? Of course. Fans were more excited about the football program than they ever had been. However, as Anxiety alluded to earlier, West Virginia is a unique place. WVU football is it in the state and WVU fans would probably rank loyalty equal with winning after having both a basketball coach and a football coach that were very successful and stayed for more than 20 years. Most fans would probably take the 8-4 years of the Nehlen era over the Rodriguez years to be quite honest.

Just about every Mountaineer fan expected RR to leave eventually, especially after the Alabama mess. However, considering what the school and the state did for him its not too much to expect him to stick around for more than 10 months or so after his fiasco with Alabama. What he ended up doing was using his ties to the state and the excitement around the football program to get everything he wanted and position himself for consideration for a "better job".

West Virginia fans have every right to be upset over this.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:53 AM   #781
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
If it were a simple change of heart WVU fans wouldn't be as pissed off. You have to look at the entirety of the situation; what WVU's boosters and AD did for RR and what RR has been saying since he was hired.

Here's the situation as a whole to best of my knowledge. I don't live in the state anymore and I haven't visited in quite some time so some of the others can probably add even more to this.

*Grew up in Fairmont.
*Played at WVU.
*Assistant Coach at WVU under Nehlen.
*Coached at two small West Virginia Conference schools that gave him complete control over football.
*Always stated WVU was his dream job and it was a foregone conclusion that he would get the job when Nehlen retired.
*Nehlen retires, Rodriguez is hired.
*Reiterated that it was his dream job.
*Then reportedly sent feelers out for the Kentucky opening a couple years after he was hired.
*Kept saying it was his dream job.
*Is given complete control over the football program. More control than even Nehlen had.
*Shows genuine interest in the Alabama opening, but eventually settles on using it to leverage as much money out of the school and its boosters as he possibly could (the school and boosters were literally putting together every penny and resource they could to keep him). He got a raise for himself and his assistants, a plane for recruiting, and guaranteed facility upgrades.
*Plays the Alabama interest off as getting the things necessary to compete nationally in the long run.
*Tells WVU fans and the AD that he's happy at WVU and will be there for "a long, long time".
*Meets with Michigan without letting anyone at WVU know about it.
*Even after the fact won't talk to anyone at WVU about it.
*Takes the job.
*Officially resigns the day after the bowl game he will not be coaching in putting WVU in a situation where they can't hire a new coach or do much in terms of damage control in recruiting. He's doing this as an attempt to leverage his way out of his buyout and so he can pick the players out of the recruiting class he wants to take to Michigan and get them on board there without WVU being able to do anything about it.

Did RR do some fantastic things at WVU? Of course. Fans were more excited about the football program than they ever had been. However, as Anxiety alluded to earlier, West Virginia is a unique place. WVU football is it in the state and WVU fans would probably rank loyalty equal with winning after having both a basketball coach and a football coach that were very successful and stayed for more than 20 years. Most fans would probably take the 8-4 years of the Nehlen era over the Rodriguez years to be quite honest.

Just about every Mountaineer fan expected RR to leave eventually, especially after the Alabama mess. However, considering what the school and the state did for him its not too much to expect him to stick around for more than 10 months or so after his fiasco with Alabama. What he ended up doing was using his ties to the state and the excitement around the football program to get everything he wanted and position himself for consideration for a "better job".

West Virginia fans have every right to be upset over this.

I completely understand what you are saying, however I disagree with the level of hatred demonstrated by some of the fans. Yes, he was given control of the football program. Yes, he is going to say he is happy there. What is he supposed to say, "I hate it here"? Who walks up to their boss and says, "Just wanted you to know that I am looking for a better job. I feel that I have done as much as I can here, so it is time to move on." C'mon people, let's be realistic. Telling your boss that you are looking elsewhere is just begging to be fired the next day. I do not blame RR for finding a better job. If you could get a better paying job in a larger, more prestiguous company that was in a different city, would you take it? Or would you prefer to stay in your home town forever, making less money and knowing that you have done as much as you can at your current job? I know what I would do. I don't think RR handled it all that poorly either. Of course he wants to take his recruits with him, why wouldn't he? He should resign before the bowl game in my opinion, but other than that I don't see a problem with how this was handled. WVU should be proud of their homegrown coach being so successful and moving on. Let's face it, WVU isn't going to get any better than what they are right now.

Quote:
Old 12-17-2007, 10:59 AM   #782
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Let's face it, WVU isn't going to get any better than what they are right now.

It depends on how much credit you give to Rodriguez for our recent success and how much you give to the realigned conferences. I definitely have faith in his coaching ability, but he never got over that 8 or 9 win hump until VT, BC and Miami were off the schedule. I don't see any reason why WVU can't continue to dominate the Big East.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:06 AM   #783
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
It depends on how much credit you give to Rodriguez for our recent success and how much you give to the realigned conferences. I definitely have faith in his coaching ability, but he never got over that 8 or 9 win hump until VT, BC and Miami were off the schedule. I don't see any reason why WVU can't continue to dominate the Big East.

Very true. RR built WVU into a great, great team. The Big East is not what I would call an "elite" conference in the first place, so WVU should be able to dominate it for years to come. The concern I have for them is the recruiting aspect of it. They need to continue to recruit well. RR built a great foundation over the last few years especially, but they need to keep that going in order to be successful.

I am not trying to piss off any WVU fans, just trying to be realistic. As a Michigan fan, I am ecstatic that we finally have a coach that believes there is more to football than running it up the middle and passing 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage and hoping for the best. I am excited for the future of Wolverine football. The only 2 teams in college football that I truly *Hate* are Ohio State and Florida. Perhaps Michigan State and Florida State to a lesser extent. I have no ill-will towards WVU whatsoever. Not sure about Terry Bowden as your next coach though. He is definately not his father......

Quote:
Old 12-17-2007, 11:11 AM   #784
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
As a Michigan fan, I am ecstatic that we finally have a coach that believes there is more to football than running it up the middle and passing 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage and hoping for the best.

Have you watched many Michigan games over the last 10 years or so? Michigan's offense isn't the spread and hasn't been too innovative, but really the whole "three yards and a cloud of dust" hasn't been the norm for a long, long time.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:13 AM   #785
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I completely understand what you are saying, however I disagree with the level of hatred demonstrated by some of the fans.

You can't blame fans for their level of hatred. It's part of what being a fan is all about for lots of folks. It's often based on emotion and passion and many are so blinded by that, that they tend to abandon reason and rational thought when it comes to their team.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:16 AM   #786
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Personally, I like this. It shows that he's thinking about this kid's future and is already doing what he can to help his new university. I don't follow college recruiting at all, really, and rarely put much stock into it, but this kid sounds pretty sweet.

I think he'd look good as Michigan's first spread option quaterback. Super sweet.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:20 AM   #787
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Personally, I like this. It shows that he's thinking about this kid's future and is already doing what he can to help his new university. I don't follow college recruiting at all, really, and rarely put much stock into it, but this kid sounds pretty sweet.

I think he'd look good as Michigan's first spread option quaterback. Super sweet.

He is supposed to be a Vince Young type with a better arm.

Quote:

Last edited by RomaGoth : 12-17-2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:22 AM   #788
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
You can't blame fans for their level of hatred. It's part of what being a fan is all about for lots of folks. It's often based on emotion and passion and many are so blinded by that, that they tend to abandon reason and rational thought when it comes to their team.

True. Especially in a place like West Virginia, where they don't have a pro team to follow and not much else either. Of course, I grew up in Michigan, and if all you wanted to follow was football, all you had was U of M football, as the Detrooooit Lions are yet again a debacle in the NFL.

Quote:
Old 12-17-2007, 11:28 AM   #789
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Have you watched many Michigan games over the last 10 years or so? Michigan's offense isn't the spread and hasn't been too innovative, but really the whole "three yards and a cloud of dust" hasn't been the norm for a long, long time.

Unfortunately, I have only seen a handful of Michigan games in the last few years due to moving out of state. However, what I have seen has been pathetic. No innovation by Carr on offense or defense. They did not make any adjustments in the game against USC or Texas in their bowl games, and were hammered because of it (and because of lack of speed to keep up with those teams). Lloyd Carr followed the long line of Michigan coaches that did not believe in putting the foot down on the opponent when they were down, and personally, I believe that is a poor method of coaching. In order to win, you must destroy your opponent when you can, or you take the chance of losing every time. I have seen Michigan lose games because they did not put their opponent away when they had the opportunity to do so. I am hopeful that Rodriguez can do this and usher in a new era in Michigan football.

Quote:
Old 12-17-2007, 11:51 AM   #790
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I do not blame RR for finding a better job. If you could get a better paying job in a larger, more prestiguous company that was in a different city, would you take it? Or would you prefer to stay in your home town forever, making less money and knowing that you have done as much as you can at your current job? I know what I would do.

Greg Schiano has a worse team, a worse program, worse facilities, and much worse support from the state than Rodriguez had at WVU, and he said no to Michigan and stayed at his "dream job."

Not saying he's a terrible human being for leaving, but there are people who go against what you would typically expect.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:52 AM   #791
MrBug708
Head Coach

Norm Chow to take a second interview this week at UCLA, most likely tomorrow

Last edited by MrBug708 : 12-17-2007 at 11:52 AM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:54 AM   #792
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Greg Schiano has a worse team, a worse program, worse facilities, and much worse support from the state than Rodriguez had at WVU, and he said no to Michigan and stayed at his "dream job."

Not saying he's a terrible human being for leaving, but there are people who go against what you would typically expect.

Let's revisit this when Joe Pa retires...
Old 12-17-2007, 11:55 AM   #793
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Norm Chow to take a second interview this week at UCLA, most likely tomorrow

Horrible hire for UCLA if it happens.

Quote:
Old 12-17-2007, 11:58 AM   #794
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

All he said "no" to was a potential interview. Michigan did not actually offer him a job. If he likes Rutgers so much, good for him. I can't blame him either way. Personally, I think it was stupid of him to turn down the opportunity though. Michigan vs. Rutgers. Hmmmmm.......which one should I choose? More money, much better recruits, much more prestige....hmmmm.....tough choice. I think I will stay at Rutgers for the "less pressure" factor. Also, I heard a rumor that Schiano is gearing towards an NFL job in the future. Good luck with that one, especially after the Saban and Petrino files....

Quote:
Old 12-17-2007, 12:18 PM   #795
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

Don't be surprised if you guys don't also get to revisit it, with Rich Rod, when Joe Pa retires...
Old 12-17-2007, 12:23 PM   #796
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Horrible hire for UCLA if it happens.

I think it'll be a solid hire. Based on what UCLA is willing to pay, who would you suggest?
Old 12-17-2007, 12:37 PM   #797
Swaggs
Coordinator

...and, I officially will be rooting for Notre Dame over Michigan for the foreseeable future (from the WV Gazette):

Quote:
Families will move, too, and not only has Rodriguez left his alma mater for Michigan, but he follows former men’s basketball Coach John Beilein, who made the same move in early April.

Worst yet for Garrison, Pastilong and the Mountaineers is they might not have suffered their last loss.

Sources say women’s soccer Coach Nikki Izzo-Brown interviewed with Michigan this month to be the next coach there. Izzo-Brown could not be reached for comment Sunday.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:44 PM   #798
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I think it'll be a solid hire. Based on what UCLA is willing to pay, who would you suggest?

I suggest Cam Cameron.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:49 PM   #799
MrBug708
Head Coach

Can't afford the buyout clause
Old 12-17-2007, 12:52 PM   #800
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Incredibly overblown. He refers to it as his dream job when he was in his mid-20s and people think that still means something. Here's how tight he and JoePa are...when he put himself up as a candidate for the Rutgers job, since he had the vision and wanted to be the guy to turn RU around, JoePa told him that he would be an idiot for taking it and it would be the death of his coaching career. Some supportive guy, this mentor. I sure want to follow in the footsteps of a guy who thought I would fail.

Quote:
All he said "no" to was a potential interview. Michigan did not actually offer him a job.

That's funny. Face-saving, nothing more.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote