Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #751
bronconick
College Starter

LA's an 8 seed because they had the worst shooting percentage in the NHL this last season, by far. Pretty much every other stat they "looked" like a top 10 team in the league.

NHL Average Shot Percentage - QuantHockey.com

Edit: That site looks like they're posting 2010-11 #'s for 11-12, but I recall the Kings shooting at like 6.9% late in the season.

Last edited by bronconick : 05-23-2012 at 10:55 AM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #752
chadritt
High School Varsity

Is there any update on Roszival? If that was an actual knee on knee hit, which im not sure of since ive only seen it once or twice, he could be hurt really badly.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #753
Logan
Head Coach

Well, monster game tonight. Gaborik is pushed down to the 3rd line, although he's playing with Stepan who he had a lot of success with earlier in the season. Let's hope that jump starts him.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #754
General Mike
Pro Starter

Lundqvist choking on applesauce
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #755
BlackJack
n00b

jesus henry christ.
BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #756
Logan
Head Coach

First 1st period we won all series. Of course.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #757
miked
College Starter

Is that really the rule? You can be in the crease and kick the puck into the net for a goal?
Old 05-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #758
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

wow, that was close
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #759
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Is that really the rule? You can be in the crease and kick the puck into the net for a goal?

NHL defines a kick as an actual kicking motion. You can direct it with your skate.

I can't believe Roenick has a job. I had to rewind a couple times to catch this, but this is what he said after breaking down highlights of Brodeur freezing the puck:

"Nothing you like you hate worse if youre a team thats on the momentum is having to play stop..."
Old 05-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #760
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

The puck actually went in off of his shinpad.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #761
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

YES!
Old 05-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #762
miked
College Starter

Was just bitching about pairing Ilya with Ryan Carter and Gionta...oh well. I'm amazed if the Devils hold on with how badly they've been outplayed.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:13 PM   #763
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I can't believe they stole that one after being up 3-0. But I'm so, so, so glad they hung in there and did it. DeBoer has made a huge fan out of me in these playoffs.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:20 PM   #764
bhlloy
Coordinator

Well if that game doesn't sum up Brodeur's career since 2003 or so...
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #765
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
Is there any update on Roszival? If that was an actual knee on knee hit, which im not sure of since ive only seen it once or twice, he could be hurt really badly.
Supposedly he's in bad shape - probably a torn ACL. He's getting it checked out this week. Hanzal also had a nasty bruise and potential broken nose from the high stick in OT the announcers said didn't happen. it's kind of a shame as it really seems that all 3 of those missed penalties were legit in OT. I can't remember many OT games where the refs missed 3 "no wiggle room" penalties in OT for the home team. Here's Doan's comments after the game on the series and the officiating - and I completely understand his frustration.

In the final 4 games, Phoenix had 112 penalty minutes and faced 23 power plays (including a handful of 5-3). The Kings had 40! penalty minutes and faced 12 power plays. I've never in the history of watching the NHL seen a difference that drastic at this point in the playoffs. The one 5-3 Phoenix finally earned in game 5 got erased right off the bat after their own player Hanzal got cross-checked in the back:

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0">

Last edited by Arles : 05-23-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:41 AM   #766
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Arles, the 5-3 was more than half over when they took the penalty...and it was a penalty. Whine all you want but refs will rarely call a cross-checking penalty in front of the net against a team down 2 men but they will certainly call a trip on a shorthanded defender who isn't anywhere near the puck.

Doughty's first penalty of the night was an odd call...he slid backwards and out of control into the net, knocking it off, and gets called for delay of game. Kings down 1-0. His interference penalty in OT is, by rule, a penalty but rarely gets called in the 3rd period of a regular season game let alone in OT in an elimination game in the Conference finals. And regarding the missed Hanzal highsticking incident, this is from Kerry Fraser, former NHL ref (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=396693):

Quote:
I also must point out that very good judgment was utilized by the referee(s) when Hanzal threw his head back and clearly embellished an attempt to draw a high-sticking penalty in overtime. On the play Hanzal clamped onto Dustin Brown's stick that went under his arm prior to throwing the head back. It was a good non-call.

And then the offside call, again on Doughty, in OT that negated a good scoring chance in a very tight checking game.

Still not sure how the Coyotes got hosed by the refs in this game.

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 05-24-2012 at 03:43 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:13 AM   #767
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Whine whine whine.

Fixed.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #768
Logan
Head Coach

Not only is it "whine, whine, whine" but let's go through the primary (he bolded it!) complaint:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
In the final 4 games, Phoenix had 112 penalty minutes and faced 23 power plays (including a handful of 5-3). The Kings had 40! penalty minutes and faced 12 power plays. I've never in the history of watching the NHL seen a difference that drastic at this point in the playoffs.

Game 2:
- 5 minutes for Doan for Boarding
- 10 more minutes for Doan for the misconduct
- 5 minutes for Hanzal for Boarding
- 10 more minutes for Hanzal for the misconduct
- 10 minute misconduct for Vermette (10 also went to LA)

Game 5:
- 20 minutes after the game ended for misconducts to Smith and Doan

Back out all that and your four game total looks like Phoenix - 52 PIM, LA - 30 PIM. Quite the different picture than what you're trying to portray. It actually should be higher...Smith only getting 2 minutes for hacking Brown in the back of the leg was a complete joke.

You find that breakaway yet?
Old 05-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #769
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Again, the problem Pheonix had in this series was they lost their cool in games 1 and 2, especially game 2. LA was there for the taking in the last few games, they were not playing as well, but PHX allowed themselves to focus not on how they played, but how the refs were calling things.

What struck me about the series though was how much the Kings dictated play. They wanted the puck to go to the corner, it went to the corner. They wanted it out at the point it went to the point, etc.

I talked to someone with no dog in the fight last night, and his take was Brown could have completely torn up Roszival, pulled his knee in for contact, etc. He said he could have seen a 2 minute for roughing, but no more than that, it was too quick and certainly not as bad as blatant as Doan's boarding in game 2.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #770
chadritt
High School Varsity

pre-emptive strike against any possible "Los Angeles isnt supporting their team enough in the finals" complaints. All the games start at FIVE and the home games are on weekdays. im dying to go to a game in person and now i dont know if ill even get off work soon enough to see them on TV since i work until 8pm. I get why the schedule is like this but it sucks for us.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #771
Logan
Head Coach

Should be a great buying opportunity at least, all things considered.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #772
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
pre-emptive strike against any possible "Los Angeles isnt supporting their team enough in the finals" complaints. All the games start at FIVE and the home games are on weekdays. im dying to go to a game in person and now i dont know if ill even get off work soon enough to see them on TV since i work until 8pm. I get why the schedule is like this but it sucks for us.

I think that's BS, a weekday game should never start earlier than 6:30 local time. I understand catering to fans across the country but the ones paying $500+ to get in the door should come first.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #773
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I understand catering to fans across the country but the ones paying $500+ to get in the door should come first.

8PM eastern time starts does not cater to the "fans across the country", it caters to the fans in the eastern time zone.

That's utter garbage for LA fans both for home games and trying to support their team while they are on the road. Heck, are LA sports' bars even open and serving at 5pm?
Old 05-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #774
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
8PM eastern time starts does not cater to the "fans across the country", it caters to the viewers in the eastern time zone.

Fixed. Let's not think they care about the 18,000 people who will be at MSG or (more likely ) Prudential.

Did you hear that NBC has told both teams in the ECF that they cannot host road game viewing parties at their arena because ratings are down? How many Neilsen families do you think they've lost? Over/under 1.5?
Old 05-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #775
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
8PM eastern time starts does not cater to the "fans across the country", it caters to the fans in the eastern time zone.

That's utter garbage for LA fans both for home games and trying to support their team while they are on the road. Heck, are LA sports' bars even open and serving at 5pm?

They are, or at least will be, but theyll basically only be serving the unemployed.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #776
chadritt
High School Varsity

Dola -

At least it solves the dilemma I was having about whether or not to buy tickets. I seriously doubt i could take a full day off work even though my bosses are kings fans. I could probably get them to let me leave at 3 and come back at 9 but thats a rough way to work since id have to be up at 8am for the next day.

Last edited by chadritt : 05-24-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #777
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Fixed. Let's not think they care about the 18,000 people who will be at MSG or (more likely ) Prudential.

Did you hear that NBC has told both teams in the ECF that they cannot host road game viewing parties at their arena because ratings are down? How many Neilsen families do you think they've lost? Over/under 1.5?

Kind of curious about this.

The past 4 playoff seasons, the Pens have had "Mario's TV", a 12' x 16' screen outside the arena showing both home and road games. The prior 3 seasons, NBC did not allow them to air any national games. This year NBC/NBCSports was allowing all games to be shown on the big screen (which turned out to be 2).
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #778
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Kind of curious about this.

The past 4 playoff seasons, the Pens have had "Mario's TV", a 12' x 16' screen outside the arena showing both home and road games. The prior 3 seasons, NBC did not allow them to air any national games. This year NBC/NBCSports was allowing all games to be shown on the big screen (which turned out to be 2).

They let the Rangers have one for Game 4 but squashed it going forward.

Deadspin covered it yesterday: NBC Bans Rangers And Devils Viewing Parties, Because TV Money Rules All

And today we got a quote from someone at NBC: Sports Blogs Item

Quote:
Said an NBC spokesman: "Viewing parties can have an adverse effect on viewership and, hence, on our obligations to our advertisers, sponsors and affiliates."
Old 05-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #779
Pyser
Pro Rookie

nbc then took it a step further and banned anyone from hosting friends to watch Sunday Night Football.

they have a maximum of 4 eyeballs on any tv. got a 3rd person? GET ANOTHER TV THEN.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #780
bhlloy
Coordinator

Surely advertisers would rather the captive audience of people at a viewing party where they have a captive audience vs those same people at home being able to change the channel/leave the room/TiVo through the adverts?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #781
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

This horse has been beaten, there is no solution.

You can't blame the NHL and NBC. If you ran a business would you cater to 80% of your customers or 20%. Especially when you factor in the hard core portion of the 20% will do their best to find a way to watch.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #782
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
This horse has been beaten, there is no solution.

You can't blame the NHL and NBC. If you ran a business would you cater to 80% of your customers or 20%. Especially when you factor in the hard core portion of the 20% will do their best to find a way to watch.

Just reading that games 3 and 4 are on some NBC pay-per-view channel (in some areas by some providers). So, alienate the local crowd by starting the game before people are even done and make it that much more difficult and expensive to watch the game on the tube. Wow. Also, the west coast doesn't even get a weekend game when the early time wouldn't be nearly as much of a factor.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #783
chadritt
High School Varsity

Just wondering, since i dont know where to find these things, what wa the TV schedule for the NBA finals when the Lakers were playing Boston? I feel like it was much easier to deal with.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #784
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Just reading that games 3 and 4 are on some NBC pay-per-view channel (in some areas by some providers). So, alienate the local crowd by starting the game before people are even done and make it that much more difficult and expensive to watch the game on the tube. Wow. Also, the west coast doesn't even get a weekend game when the early time wouldn't be nearly as much of a factor.

I am sure none of this has anything to do with why the NHL lags behind the other big sports in, well....everything.

As a lifelong hockey fan it kills me seeing what Gary Fuckman has done to this league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #785
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Just wondering, since i dont know where to find these things, what wa the TV schedule for the NBA finals when the Lakers were playing Boston? I feel like it was much easier to deal with.

guessing these were east coast times:

Game 1: Thursday, June 3 at Los Angeles, 9 p.m.
Game 2: Sunday, June 6 at Los Angeles, 8 p.m.
Game 3: Tuesday, June 8 at Boston, 9 p.m.
Game 4: Thursday, June 10 at Boston, 9 p
Game 5: *Sunday, June 13 at Boston, 8 p.m.
Game 6: *Tuesday, June 15 at Los Angeles, 9 p.m.
Game 7: *Thursday, June 17 at Los Angeles, 9 p.m.

Last edited by Pyser : 05-24-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #786
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
guessing these were east coast times:

Game 1: Thursday, June 3 at Los Angeles, 9 p.m.
Game 2: Sunday, June 6 at Los Angeles, 8 p.m.
Game 3: Tuesday, June 8 at Boston, 9 p.m.
Game 4: Thursday, June 10 at Boston, 9 p
Game 5: *Sunday, June 13 at Boston, 8 p.m.
Game 6: *Tuesday, June 15 at Los Angeles, 9 p.m.
Game 7: *Thursday, June 17 at Los Angeles,

only one hour later during the week, not a huge deal but definitely matters for getting the 9 - 5 crowd.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #787
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

For the record, Phoenix was called for 7 more penalties over the whole series than Los Angeles was.

If you discount game 2 where the Coyotes clearly lost their cool, that number drops and Phoenix had 4 more penalties called against them total in those 4 games. By my math, that's one penalty per game. And considering that LA was 0 for 19 on the powerplay in those games, it didn't seem to make that much of a difference.

But yeah, OMGodzzzz, refz suck! Conspiracy!!!!

Also, I'm not sure how they could call the Brown hit a penalty either. By definition, kneeing is leading with your knee. Brown was square on the left side of his body and actually connected shoulder to shoulder first. It's nothing like the old Ulf Samuelsson or Bryan Marchment knees that they would dish out. You'd also be hard pressed to convince me that the whistle came more than a micro second before (at most, possibly even after) the hit.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #788
britrock88
Pro Starter

I blame ESPN for blackballing the NHL after the lockout season. Never mind the lockout's origins... :/
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #789
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
nbc then took it a step further and banned anyone from hosting friends to watch Sunday Night Football.

they have a maximum of 4 eyeballs on any tv. got a 3rd person? GET ANOTHER TV THEN.

Reminds me on how Disney said that they're mad at Comcast for their ad-hop feature, because it's expensive to cover quality programming like "Dancing With The Stars."

Last edited by Galaxy : 05-25-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:58 AM   #790
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
They let the Rangers have one for Game 4 but squashed it going forward.

Deadspin covered it yesterday: NBC Bans Rangers And Devils Viewing Parties, Because TV Money Rules All

And today we got a quote from someone at NBC: Sports Blogs Item

Huh

Maybe this would have changed had the Pens advanced further.

As point of reference here's an article from 2010 (round 2, vs Habs):

Pens Fans Can Watch Game 1 On Outdoor Screen Tonight, But Screen Will Not Be In Operation For Game 2 Sunday - Pittsburgh Penguins - News

Quote:
Penguins fans will be able to watch Game 1 tonight and most of the remainder of the Penguins-Canadiens playoff series on the outdoor screen in front of Mellon Arena.

However, the Penguins are not permitted to show Game 2 on the outdoor screen Sunday afternoon in accordance with league broadcasting rights.

And this year, prior to game 1

Fans Can Watch Pens’ Playoff Games On ‘Big Screen’ Outside CONSOL Energy Center - Pittsburgh Penguins - News

Quote:
All Penguins’ playoff games – home and road – will be shown on the screen, thanks to the cooperation and support of local TV rightsholder ROOT SPORTS and national rightsholder NBC Sports.

Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #791
heybrad
Norm!!!

Looks like I'm going to game 4 of the finals.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #792
Logan
Head Coach

Make sure you set your alarm.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #793
miked
College Starter

I was just bitching about the devils power play, that may have been their best of the series.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #794
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I can't believe Bernier sold that high stick as well as he did. I think Del Zotto's stick made light contact with Bernier's visor, so it may technically be a penalty, but boy, was Bernier embellishing.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #795
miked
College Starter

Yeah, nothing like that Prust slash that wasn't called.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #796
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

I've Googled and the answers look negative, but is there anyway I'm missing to legally stream NBCSports or these NHL playoff games someway? Late at this point, but Game 7--if it gets there--is also on NBCSports, apparently.
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #797
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

legally? nope.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #798
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
legally? nope.

Doesn't look like I need to worry about it now anyway...
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #799
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

What a shame that Colin White isn't a part of this.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #800
BlackJack
n00b

Start clearing that parking lot in downtown newark for the parade. at least 250 people will show up. yes i'm bitter. and drunk. fuck you. Go LA.
BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote