Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Will the lockout cost the NBA any games?
Yes 57 79.17%
No 11 15.28%
Trout 4 5.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2011, 02:29 PM   #801
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Scary stuff for Jeff Green. Heart surgery voids his contract, although it may save his life. Certainly a big blow to the Celtics chances.

Yep - they're fucked.

SO glad we traded Perk - who was glue, for an undersized guy who struggled to learn the defensive scheme and find a place in the offense, which cost us our shot last year, and now he's got heart-problems (although I don't want to sound like I'm blaming him for that), screwing our chances this year.

So you traded Perk for basically nothing Ainge.

Fuck you. Fire yourself.

Or blow it up and trade everything except Rondo for Dwight Howard. Because this team ain't contending this year.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-18-2011 at 02:34 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:50 PM   #802
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So...what you're saying is that they traded the heart of the team for a guy with a bad heart?

Last edited by stevew : 12-18-2011 at 02:50 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #803
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
So...what you're saying is that they traded the heart of the team for a guy with a bad heart?

Well played.

Pretty much.

Look - I was never the world's biggest Perk fan, but the guy was consistent, he knew his skillset, and he knew the defense, and was always willing to bang.

And FWIW I thought Rondo dramatically improved his offense by getting him some great looks, so he wasn't even an offensive liability.

And you gave him up mid-season which blew up your chemistry last year, for a guy who's not even going to play this year. So you gave up something that was working in order to blow up 2 years of your small window to compete (which IMO is now closed).

WTFG Danny Ainge. You better hope I don't run into you around town...I'll beat the crap outa you.

I seriously feel now that they ought to blow it all up and trade anything+everything (except Rondo) for Howard. Well okay...it would hurt if they trade Pierce too (which I would think it would have to take to get it done? Unless you package multiple #1's along with basically the rest of the roster).
Old 12-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #804
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I kind of like the Heat to make another deep run in the playoffs this season. Seems like everyone out east has not gotten good enough to beat Miami in a 7 game series.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #805
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
I kind of like the Heat to make another deep run in the playoffs this season. Seems like everyone out east has not gotten good enough to beat Miami in a 7 game series.

Wow, you are really taking a shot in the dark with that one
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:36 PM   #806
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Well played.

Pretty much.

Look - I was never the world's biggest Perk fan, but the guy was consistent, he knew his skillset, and he knew the defense, and was always willing to bang.

And FWIW I thought Rondo dramatically improved his offense by getting him some great looks, so he wasn't even an offensive liability.

And you gave him up mid-season which blew up your chemistry last year, for a guy who's not even going to play this year. So you gave up something that was working in order to blow up 2 years of your small window to compete (which IMO is now closed).

WTFG Danny Ainge. You better hope I don't run into you around town...I'll beat the crap outa you.

I seriously feel now that they ought to blow it all up and trade anything+everything (except Rondo) for Howard. Well okay...it would hurt if they trade Pierce too (which I would think it would have to take to get it done? Unless you package multiple #1's along with basically the rest of the roster).

I understand the frustration, but why in the hell would Orlando take anything the Celtics have to offer, if Rondo wasn't included.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #807
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Wow, you are really taking a shot in the dark with that one

Don't worry Danny you and everyone else will be rooting for them to lose so its all good.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:06 PM   #808
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
I understand the frustration, but why in the hell would Orlando take anything the Celtics have to offer, if Rondo wasn't included.

Seriously, delusional much? "Here's a bunch of old players for one of the best players in the game", I'm sure Orlando will be jumping all over that one.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #809
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Seriously, delusional much? "Here's a bunch of old players for one of the best players in the game", I'm sure Orlando will be jumping all over that one.

LMAO. I'm not saying it's a realistic trade. I'm just saying that's about all he could do to redeem himself at this point in my mind.

And it would obviously have to include a third team/other teams in order to get pieces Orlando would want.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-18-2011 at 04:26 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #810
Groundhog
Coordinator

It’s amazing what marrying a Kardashian does for a guy’s image. I was talking to my girlfriend, who has zero clue about the NBA, that I was looking forward to catching some Clippers games and explained the CP3 trade, mentioning how the Lakers lucked out. She then says to me “well, that’s what they get for trading Lamar Odom to the Mavericks”, something I hadn’t mentioned. Turns out it was an article in some girly gossip magazine that mentioned it all. Then she started going on about Kobe’s divorce. Sheesh.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #811
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post

I figure you'll get Kenyon Martin in March. Gives them Wade/James/Bosh/Miller/Haslem/Anthony/Battier/Chalmers/KMart. That's a really good rotation, although they could use a real center.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:19 PM   #812
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
It’s amazing what marrying a Kardashian does for a guy’s image. I was talking to my girlfriend, who has zero clue about the NBA, that I was looking forward to catching some Clippers games and explained the CP3 trade, mentioning how the Lakers lucked out. She then says to me “well, that’s what they get for trading Lamar Odom to the Mavericks”, something I hadn’t mentioned. Turns out it was an article in some girly gossip magazine that mentioned it all. Then she started going on about Kobe’s divorce. Sheesh.

No mention of Kris Humphries?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:31 PM   #813
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

lol... Yah, I still remember the first time she asked me who Kris Humphries was, before I knew he was with Kim Kardashian. I was like "uhhh, he's a backup PF for the woeful New Jersey Nets... why?".
Old 12-18-2011, 09:34 PM   #814
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

Speaking of Kris Humphries, what's the latest word on where he's headed? I don't pretend to be much of an NBA fan these days, but I try to follow a bit. A 26 yr old guy who averaged a double double last yr I think would be in some sort of demand.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #815
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
What is everyones take on the Mavs offseason ? Could this really work again, getting hungry veterans and/or outcasts ?
Obviously loosing Chandler is huge and will simply change their style defensively for the worse, but i get why they didn´t try to retain him having in mind the cap situation next year and beyond.

They are definitely a pretty deep team and if they can somehow be healthy come playoff time ... Hope Carlisle rests some players a bit, rather take a 6th seed and be healthy than try desperately for a great record i figure, especially with the veteran squad and last year´s run in mind.

The shortened season will help. I think Lamar Odom is about an equal replacement for Chandler, if not an improvement. Odom isn't obviously in the same mold as Chandler, but he can contribute in more ways than Chandler could. The loss of JJ Barea will hurt, I'm not sold on Vince Carter and Delonte West, and it remains to be seen if Beaubois can shake off the rust of missing last year with injuries. But I do like their chances to make another run.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:51 AM   #816
whomario
Pro Starter

Beaubois supposedly looked pretty good last night

I´m afraid that the "shortened season" actually will be big trouble unless Carlisle really is resting people. Yes, it´s only 66 games. But it´s also 66 games in a very short period of time.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:09 PM   #817
whomario
Pro Starter

Peja aparently retiring. Glad he can go out with that title in the books to go with the great seasons he had early in his career (sure he wasn´t a key player anymore, but game 2 against the Blazers and 3 and 4 against the Lakers were sweet)

Last edited by whomario : 12-19-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:19 PM   #818
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Peja aparently retiring. Glad he can go out with that title in the books to go with the great seasons he had early in his career (sure he wasn´t a key player anymore, but game 2 against the Blazers and 3 and 4 against the Lakers were sweet)

That made me look up his stats. The 03-04 season is pretty damn good.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:24 PM   #819
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
i signed off on the nba after that lakers series but those kings teams were super fun to watch.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:46 AM   #820
korme
Go Reds

For any NBA Today podcast fans out there, the 12/19 taping at the 28~ minute mark, Russillo mentions a Really Bad Trade email from a "Shane," which is me. He proceeds to read it and make fun of it, as expected. Tootin' my own horn for a second, that was pretty cool.

Last edited by korme : 12-20-2011 at 12:52 AM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:54 AM   #821
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Lol. That's hilarious. I listened to that earlier today. What was the deal again? Didnt think it was awful or anything.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:23 AM   #822
korme
Go Reds

This was my email

Quote:
Clips just got CP3. Move #2?

Clippers trade:
Eric Bledsoe
Mo Williams
Randy Foye or Ryan Gomes (both make ~$4MM/yr)

Hawks trade:
Josh Smith
Jeff Teague

Threw Teague in because he's a decent young player, if you think
that's too much just sub him for a crappier min-sal guy. Clips do this
to get size and really just another really good player. Hawks finally
unload Josh Smith and get Mo Williams (possibly to flip to contender)
and Eric Bledsoe, someone with good potential. Ok, maybe this trade
sucks

Finished with, "Shane, I think you just answered your own question"
Old 12-20-2011, 01:25 AM   #823
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Speaking of Kris Humphries, what's the latest word on where he's headed?

Kristin Cavallari's house.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:17 AM   #824
whomario
Pro Starter

Chuck Hayes failed the physichal with a heart condition, that just sucks as he is one of those guys that you can really root for and him getting a big contract was one of those "that´s really cool for him" type of deals ...

Afflalo resigns with the Nuggets for 43/5. Propably a tad bit too much but definitely a good player that´ll be a solid starter for years. Fully expect him to become a 15 PPG guy this year.

Also Bismack Biyombo paid his buyout on his own and will play for the Bobcats this season afterall.

Last edited by whomario : 12-20-2011 at 03:22 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #825
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Another retirement as the Spurs waive Antonio McDyess.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #826
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Kris Humphries goes back to the Nets.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #827
bronconick
College Starter

DT> Don't worry. Ainge and Dumars can sit around and talk about how their teams used to not suck until they shot themselves in the foot. You get used to it and switch to hockey.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #828
Groundhog
Coordinator

Kyrie looking OK so far. I actually wonder if the rookies this year might come out of the gate a little quicker, given they are (presumably) more likely to have been working out and practicing fairly intensely the past couple of months than the guys waiting to see if the lockout ends.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:44 AM   #829
whomario
Pro Starter

This might be the case, but also think there will be quite a few big rookie-wall occurences after 40 or so games with the schedule in place. And on the other hand coaches might be extra-hesitant to play rookies, having not seen them for very long so far and rather going with veterans that know the plays/rotations after a very short camp.

I also think the guys who played in Europe will be quick out of the gate.

A couple guys will definitely not be in great shape early on i guess, it really ended rather suddenly. Nowitzki f.e. admitted he isn´t, which is no big surprise considering he was more or less catatonic once the Eurobasket was finally over and in general is someone that works on a very slow schedule to get in shape (starts preperations very early normally).

Durant busted out Dirk´s one-legged fadeaway in preseason btw, curious how frequently we´ll see that

Mavs might have found Barea 2.0 with Jerome Randle, uncanny resemblance on the cort

Omri Casspi looks to get some good minutes in Cleveland

Denver just scored 127 in preseason. Also : The Suns defense, ladies and gentleman
Nuggets will definitely be recommended league-pass viewing. Very much looking forward to what Karl can do with them, even with Smith, Chandler and Martin gone this is a deep team with exciting talent. Mozgov will be a good player at the 5 btw.

I just realized that Steve Nash has to play with Gortat and a 50 year old Grant Hill as his 2nd and 3rd best players. If he leads this team anywhere near the playoffs than he´ll move even further up in my personal rankings.

Last edited by whomario : 12-21-2011 at 03:47 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:03 AM   #830
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Bulls look really good with Hamilton. Just having a competent SG really spaces the floor for everyone.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:46 AM   #831
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This might be the case, but also think there will be quite a few big rookie-wall occurences after 40 or so games with the schedule in place. And on the other hand coaches might be extra-hesitant to play rookies, having not seen them for very long so far and rather going with veterans that know the plays/rotations after a very short camp.

I also think the guys who played in Europe will be quick out of the gate.

A couple guys will definitely not be in great shape early on i guess, it really ended rather suddenly. Nowitzki f.e. admitted he isn´t, which is no big surprise considering he was more or less catatonic once the Eurobasket was finally over and in general is someone that works on a very slow schedule to get in shape (starts preperations very early normally).

Durant busted out Dirk´s one-legged fadeaway in preseason btw, curious how frequently we´ll see that

Mavs might have found Barea 2.0 with Jerome Randle, uncanny resemblance on the cort

Omri Casspi looks to get some good minutes in Cleveland

Denver just scored 127 in preseason. Also : The Suns defense, ladies and gentleman
Nuggets will definitely be recommended league-pass viewing. Very much looking forward to what Karl can do with them, even with Smith, Chandler and Martin gone this is a deep team with exciting talent. Mozgov will be a good player at the 5 btw.

I just realized that Steve Nash has to play with Gortat and a 50 year old Grant Hill as his 2nd and 3rd best players. If he leads this team anywhere near the playoffs than he´ll move even further up in my personal rankings.

The good news about the NBA season is more whomario posts

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:47 AM   #832
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Media just wanted him on the Lakers.

Those of us who cheer for the Rockets are still allowed to be pissed. Go impotent rage!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-21-2011 at 08:47 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #833
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
The good news about the NBA season is more whomario posts

SI

Old 12-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #834
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Bulls look really good with Hamilton. Just having a competent SG really spaces the floor for everyone.

Worth watching the highlights of that game yesterday on NBA.com just to see Rip's amazing touch pass to (I think) Taj. Wow.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #835
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Cool quote from the story about rookie Mickell Gladness making the Heat roster
Quote:
"This is probably the best Christmas gift that I've ever gotten in my life," Gladness said. "I probably would have said, when I was younger, when I got a Sega Genesis for Christmas. But this just tops that."