Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #801
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
Looks like LeBron will be announcing during an ESPN special on Thursday night, proceeds going to the Boys and Girls Clubs of America: 2010 NBA free agency: Sources: LeBron James to announce decision Thursday - ESPN
It gets even more pathetic.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #802
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

I agree.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #803
Groundhog
Coordinator

If LeBron stays in Cleveland and New York end up with Amar'e and another B-lister all I can say is serves you right.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #804
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
I would be amazed if LeBron ever won a championship in Cleveland, although it is not impossible but it is improbable at this point.

I've heard a lot of this, and I'm not entirely sure why. They were among the favorites coming into the season, and were knocked out this year with James hurt - I'm not saying that they would have beaten the Celtics or the Lakers with LBJ healthy, but it wouldn't have been a surprise. Why would it be a shock now?
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #805
cuervo72
Head Coach

CHIP BROWN IS REPORTING LEBRON WILL ANNOUNCE HE IS JOINING THE BIG 12!!!!!!1
Old 07-06-2010, 09:22 PM   #806
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:

I want LeBron on the Bulls less now.

Gimme a lineup of Rose, Wade, Deng, Boozer, and Noah.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 07-06-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:22 PM   #807
miami_fan
Coordinator

How the hell is Chris Bosh being rated so much higher than Pau Gasol by so many people?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:27 PM   #808
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Seriously.

Although props for the donation.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #809
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
How the hell is Chris Bosh being rated so much higher than Pau Gasol by so many people?

It has to be because Gasol plays next to Bryant, so his scoring numbers are deflated, and Odom/Bynum(when healthy) deflate the reboundings #s. He might be the best bigman in the NBA IMO. Doesn't have the flashy numbers of Howard, but has a much more complete game, and isn't a guaranteed turnover any time a PG slaps at his hands in the post.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:40 PM   #811
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
He isn't. They're essentially the same player but Bosh is 4 years younger. That should count for something.

Well, definitely wouldn't agree with that. Bosh wins on athleticism and age and maybe shooting range, Gasol wins everywhere else. Put Gasol on last season's Toronto Raptors instead of Bosh and IMO he'd exceed Bosh in every category except maybe points, and the Raptors would win more games to boot.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:46 PM   #812
Groundhog
Coordinator

Hell, I wrote that without even checking the two player's stats. Even on a stacked team, Gasol beat Bosh in every category except points and 3pt%.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:46 PM   #813
stevew
Hall Of Famer

fuck him for helping out kids. Besides...teams can now start clearing space for "the Summer of 2013"
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:58 PM   #814
bhlloy
Coordinator

lol yeah, although I'm sick of the circus and can't think of anything else I'd less like to watch than an hour of this circle jerk, he deserves props for donating what is likely to be a huge amount of money to a deserving charity. if there was anything he could have done to make this whole charade less distasteful, this is probably it.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:31 PM   #815
MrBug708
Head Coach

That's probably why he did it, so this whole thing wouldnt be so distasteful
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:32 PM   #816
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBollea View Post
Without Bosh, that Toronto team wins about 4 games total all year. Same thing with Cleveland. Without LeBron, there a 20 win team. Meanwhile, without Kobe, the Laker's are still a low seed in the Western Conference playoffs.
They won 5 games without him last season (went 5-7). So that argument doesn't hold much weight.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:33 PM   #817
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I've heard a lot of this, and I'm not entirely sure why. They were among the favorites coming into the season, and were knocked out this year with James hurt - I'm not saying that they would have beaten the Celtics or the Lakers with LBJ healthy, but it wouldn't have been a surprise. Why would it be a shock now?

Ya - wouldn't it be pretty surprising if LeBron jumped ship and his new team had more wins than last season's Cavs? He certainly couldn't finish any higher in the regular season standings.

I still think the Cavs might be his best chance for a title if they can improve AT ALL. I have no idea what their cap flexibility is, though.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:34 PM   #818
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
I want LeBron on the Bulls less now.

Gimme a lineup of Rose, Wade, Deng, Boozer, and Noah.
That's the funny thing about this whole thing. I wanted Lebron at the beginning of it pretty badly. Now I could give a shit. I'd rather have a worse team and like the players I cheer for. Plus his antics wouldn't fly in this city.

Last edited by RainMaker : 07-06-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:37 PM   #820
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
The elbow injury was bullshit. Not a single doctor found anything wrong with it. It was there for attention. He probably saw the Jordan flu game on ESPN Classic the night before.

Or maybe the real cause of the injury was "Oh shit I fucked around all season and never learned how to mesh well on the court with my teammates".
Old 07-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #821
Danny
Head Coach

I am a Lakers fan and love Gasol, but Bosh is a better player at 26 then Gasol was. Gasol has been helped tremendously by playing with Bryant, both on the court and in his attitude rubbing off on Gasol.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:03 PM   #822
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

wow. James gets way more shit then he deserves... crazy
Old 07-06-2010, 11:07 PM   #823
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Whatever happens, I'm sure Chris Broussard will be right on top of the news and will break it.

rolls eyes.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:12 PM   #824
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
fuck him for helping out kids. Besides...teams can now start clearing space for "the Summer of 2013"
This isn't about kids. We both know that. Congrats on keeping him anyway. If it wasn't the Bulls, I wanted him to stay loyal to Cleveland and try to win one there.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #825
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
CHIP BROWN IS REPORTING LEBRON WILL ANNOUNCE HE IS JOINING THE BIG 12!!!!!!1

Never happen. Texas won't let LeBron start his own LeBronTV Channel.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:15 PM   #826
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Whatever happens, I'm sure Chris Broussard will be right on top of the news and will break it.

rolls eyes.

Yeah, the stupidity of ESPN doesn't get any deeper than this "Breaking News" they have. Broussard reports that "insider sources" tell him LeBron's announcing on ESPN on Thursday. You mean, the insider source network exec in the cubicle two rows down?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:15 PM   #827
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
wow. James gets way more shit then he deserves... crazy

I agree with you however the ESPN special kinda soured me on him. Seriously he does not need to do all of that he can just announce his decision and work on making his team better.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:16 PM   #828
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Anyways, obviously the Russian Billionaire isn't evil enough if the Nets don't sign LeBron.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #829
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Yeah, the stupidity of ESPN doesn't get any deeper than this "Breaking News" they have. Broussard reports that "insider sources" tell him LeBron's announcing on ESPN on Thursday. You mean, the insider source network exec in the cubicle two rows down?

Chris Broussard makes me miss Stephen A. Smith
Old 07-06-2010, 11:18 PM   #830
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

And speaking of stupid decisions... you know you have a crazy free agent period coming up that will center around you, and you have known it for 3-4 years now.

So of course it makes perfect sense to schedule your stupid youth camp a couple days into the free agency period, and right smack in the middle of the pre-signing period. Brilliant.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:18 PM   #831
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
The elbow injury was bullshit. Not a single doctor found anything wrong with it. It was there for attention. He probably saw the Jordan flu game on ESPN Classic the night before.

Or maybe the real cause of the injury was "Oh shit I fucked around all season and never learned how to mesh well on the court with my teammates".

Kobe played with a messed up index finger on his shooting hand for the entire playoffs. Not even sure why a sore elbow (even if he was a little hurt) would be worth bringing up.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:19 PM   #832
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Anyways, obviously the Russian Billionaire isn't evil enough if the Nets don't sign LeBron.

He needs more sharks with laser beams... like Cuban has.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:20 PM   #833
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Kobe played with a messed up index finger on his shooting hand for the entire playoffs. Not even sure why a sore elbow (even if he was a little hurt) would be worth bringing up.

Well, that's cuz LeBron ain't Kobe.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:26 PM   #834
stevew
Hall Of Famer

After Thursday, Joey Votto will be the only superstar still playing in Ohio
Old 07-07-2010, 12:37 AM   #835
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
That's why I listed him fourth because he is about as close to that level without being at that level. One more season like the past one and he leaps into the top the tier.

Good point.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:17 AM   #836
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Clips have apparently hired Vinny Del Negro as their next coach.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:40 AM   #837
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Plus he looks like a Predator.

He cut off his dreads during the offseason.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:51 AM   #838
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Clips have apparently hired Vinny Del Negro as their next coach.

I must have missed the ESPN prime time special announcing this, but it does explain the groups of people setting off fireworks tonight.

LeBron needs to up the ante a bit... PPV? Maybe while he dons a crown of solid gold with a toga made from the silk from a long extinct species. He shall thus walk on a bed of diamond encrusted gold coins bearing his likeness, tenderly tossed in his path by the purest virgin beauties nature has ever allowed to grace this earth.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:54 AM   #839
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'd love to see the difference in retention rates for the 10pm Sportscenter on Thursday night in New York and Cleveland.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:06 AM   #840
RainMaker
General Manager

For the Bosh/Pau comparision, I'm not sure why you guys are putting Bosh so close. I'll give you that he's more athletic than Pau, but on everything else Gasol is the winner. He's a better post scorer, rebounder, and defender. Better passer too. He's just a better player in almost every facet of the game.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:29 AM   #841
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
For the Bosh/Pau comparision, I'm not sure why you guys are putting Bosh so close. I'll give you that he's more athletic than Pau, but on everything else Gasol is the winner. He's a better post scorer, rebounder, and defender. Better passer too. He's just a better player in almost every facet of the game.

Their virtually identical offensive rebounders and Bosh has a decent edge in defensive rebounding. Gasol is a better passer, but also is playing with far better teammates right now and turns the ball over more while Bosh gets a few more steals. Their true shooting percentages were nearly identical as well this past season.

The players so similar it's kind of eerie. Gasol was thought of as a soft big man that would never win anything in the NBA while he was Memphis. He got out of Memphis, surrounded by better players, and he's arguably a top 10 guy now. If he was still in Memphis he'd be an afterthought.

Last edited by Atocep : 07-07-2010 at 02:29 AM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:44 AM   #843
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Their virtually identical offensive rebounders and Bosh has a decent edge in defensive rebounding. Gasol is a better passer, but also is playing with far better teammates right now and turns the ball over more while Bosh gets a few more steals. Their true shooting percentages were nearly identical as well this past season.

The players so similar it's kind of eerie. Gasol was thought of as a soft big man that would never win anything in the NBA while he was Memphis. He got out of Memphis, surrounded by better players, and he's arguably a top 10 guy now. If he was still in Memphis he'd be an afterthought.
Gasol was a top 10 guy in Memphis, it's just he didn't get enough media attention for the casual fan to realize it. It's why so many people were pissed when they gave him away for nothing. He also led a couple pretty bad teams to the playoffs in a really tough conference.

Don't get me wrong, Bosh is a really good player, but I think people are going to be disappointed next year if he's in Miami to see that they aren't going to be that great.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:04 AM   #844
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Gasol was a top 10 guy in Memphis, it's just he didn't get enough media attention for the casual fan to realize it.

Sounds just like Bosh.

Quote:
It's why so many people were pissed when they gave him away for nothing.

They were pissed because of who he went to and what they got for him. If he had gone to a non-contender for nothing no one would have said a thing. It was Gasol; the soft big guy that was never going to win.

Quote:
He also led a couple pretty bad teams to the playoffs in a really tough conference.

And they won a grand total of zero playoff games in 3 trips with him there. It's a big part of why people were convinced he wasn't a winner. The Raptors have made it to the playoffs twice with Bosh and never made it out of the first round. Neither one really has much to brag about.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, Bosh is a really good player, but I think people are going to be disappointed next year if he's in Miami to see that they aren't going to be that great.

Bosh is one of the top 10 players in the NBA. He'll be a top 10 player if he goes to Miami whether people are disappointed or not.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:09 AM   #845
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Pau works well in a system where he doesnt have to be "the man." Hes a great mid range shooter, hes very good facing the basket, great at tipping the ball around the hoop, and a solid passer. In Memphis he had to play a role he wasnt that great at.(feature scorer) How Bosh can adjust his game when he isnt "the man" is an unknown at this point.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:12 AM   #846
Atocep
Coordinator

If Bosh had been traded at the deadline to Cleveland for JJ Hickson, Daniel Gibson, and 2 draft picks I'm fairly certain we'd be viewing both Lebron and Bosh differently. Just as people are Kobe and Gasol now.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:42 AM   #847
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Chris Broussard *ahem* is reporting that sources *ahem* say Bosh to join Wade in Miami.

NBA Free Agents: Source: Chris Bosh to join Dwyane Wade with Miami Heat - ESPN
Old 07-07-2010, 07:17 AM   #848
RainMaker
General Manager

Looks like it's official. Wonder if Lebron joins them.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:42 AM   #849
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Bosh is one of the top 10 players in the NBA. He'll be a top 10 player if he goes to Miami whether people are disappointed or not.

I'm not much of an NBA fan, but this is crazy.

Which of these guys is Bosh better than?

Kobe
Wade
LeBron
Chris Paul
Carmelo
Deron Williams
Dwight Howard
Kevin Durant
Dirk
Amare
Steve Nash
Brandon Roy
Tim Duncan

Thats a quick 13. I am sure I am missing a couple guys which would not even put Bosh in the top 15.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #850
whomario
Pro Starter

Sign and Trade or direct signing will be a big question as in a sign and trade i suppose they send Beasley and Chalmers the Raptors way, leaving them with more holes to fill, although with the money Beasley got you might find a decent veteran wingplayer (Mike Miller ?).
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote