Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #801
Edward64
Head Coach

Short update for those still interested.
Not A Blog - Dance, Dance, Dance

Quote:
Finished a Jon Snow chapter, and have just passed the 1100 page (manuscript pages, the page count in the final printed book will be different) mark on A DANCE WITH DRAGONS. That's counting only finished chapters in something close to final form. I have considerably more in partials, fragments, and roughs.

Even with just the finished portions, DANCE is now longer than A FEAST FOR CROWS and A GAME OF THRONES, and I'm closing in on A CLASH OF KINGS. I do hope I can wrap things up before I approach the 1521 page length of A STORM OF SWORDS.

Making a new run at the Meereenese knot, but maybe not tomorrow. I think I'll hang around at the Wall a bit longer, and maybe visit Winterfell.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #802
aran
High School Varsity

I estimated how much longer it'd take him to finish the book at 1100 pages since a year after AFFC if he's going to finish at 1500 pages.

It's going to be another two years.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #803
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Maybe I've missed it...is he intending to finish the whole thing with Dance? I thought this would be just another book, not the climax.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #804
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Maybe I've missed it...is he intending to finish the whole thing with Dance? I thought this would be just another book, not the climax.

Where do you get the idea he's finishing with Dance?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:52 PM   #805
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Well, I never thought that this was going to be the finish. It just seems that with 1100 pages already in the books, and he only HOPING that he'll be done before 1500, that he may be trying to put too much into this one. Then again, I think about who George R.R. Martin is, and it makes a bunch more sense
Old 10-13-2009, 09:23 AM   #806
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

It's easier to just assume he's never actually going to finish and may in fact not publish another book until after he's dead, and then be pleasantly surprised by anything that does get finished/published.

flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #807
Galaril
Pro Starter

Most like a year or two more for this one. Afetr that who knows. A year off or two then another 6-8 years for the next book which means something like 2018-2022. I think he mentioned a while back the series would 7 books so the Final book would be coming out in the 2025-2030 range:0........That is if he could possibly live that long which is not likely for the looks of him.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:08 AM   #808
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Most like a year or two more for this one. Afetr that who knows. A year off or two then another 6-8 years for the next book which means something like 2018-2022. I think he mentioned a while back the series would 7 books so the Final book would be coming out in the 2025-2030 range:0........That is if he could possibly live that long which is not likely for the looks of him.

Maybe he can at least leave us his rough outline for the final two books if he dies, so at least we know what the hell happens to resolve the series....
Old 10-19-2009, 11:49 AM   #809
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

They have casted Kal Drogo. The actor is Jason Momoa. I have never seen him in anything. It looks like he's a TV guy and has two kids with Denise Huxtable. Since he doesn't really speak much, all he really needs to do is look the part, which, I'd say, he totally does:

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:02 PM   #810
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
They have casted Kal Drogo. The actor is Jason Momoa. I have never seen him in anything. It looks like he's a TV guy and has two kids with Denise Huxtable. Since he doesn't really speak much, all he really needs to do is look the part, which, I'd say, he totally does:

he was on Andromeda with Kevin Sorbo wasn't he?

he'll be great as Drogo...like you said - looks the part and is a good enough actor to pull it off IMO
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:07 PM   #811
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
he was on Andromeda with Kevin Sorbo wasn't he?

he'll be great as Drogo...like you said - looks the part and is a good enough actor to pull it off IMO

He was one of the co-stars on Star Gate Atlantis on the syfy channel for 4-5 seasons. He was pretty good and will hit this roll real well.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:09 PM   #812
JeeberD
General Manager

I always pictured Drogo as a little bit older, but I think he'll do in a pinch...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:33 PM   #813
Schmidty
Coordinator

He looks like a damned Klingon.

I'm not feeling this pick.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #814
Schmidty
Coordinator

Old 10-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #815
MrBug708
Head Coach

Who did you have pictured as Drogo?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #816
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
He looks like a damned Klingon.

I'm not feeling this pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

Seriously. Based on his description in the book and all the artistic representations I've seen, the look pretty much nails Drogo.

And the comparison to Worf isn't all that off. And I mean that in a positive way.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 10-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #817
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

Not Worf, that's for darned sure.

I guess I always picture him as looking more like a really tall native american or something.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #818
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:

I guess I always picture him as looking more like a really tall native american or something.

The description is pretty solidly Mongolian in styling and appearance. not sure how you could get native american out of that but I've actually read stranger ideas. Someone posted on a sci-fi board I used to go to that she always pictured Drogo and his goons as vikings. I mean WTF?
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #819
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
The description is pretty solidly Mongolian in styling and appearance. not sure how you could get native american out of that but I've actually read stranger ideas. Someone posted on a sci-fi board I used to go to that she always pictured Drogo and his goons as vikings. I mean WTF?

Totally Mongolian feel I agree.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:44 PM   #820
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

I also got that feel. I would have to go back to the original description, but that was what I had always pictured. I can definitely see Mongolian in the Khan mold, now that it has been mentioned, but I always saw him as similar to Native Americans.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #821
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

no no no...totally mongolian - all the horses and the riding-culture and stuff didn't bring up echos of Mongols sweeping into Europe?
Old 10-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #822
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
no no no...totally mongolian

Old 10-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #823
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Jason doesn't look mongolian to me. Am I missing something?
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:21 PM   #824
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I saw the picture before I read any of the post, and my first thought was 'Drogo,' so that had to be something good

Wonderful casting, in my opinion. I've never seen the guy act, but even if he's remotely decent, he looks brilliant already.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:56 AM   #825
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Maybe some reason to be optimistic?

Posted on Jan 28th: Not A Blog - Dancing
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRRM
Snowing like hell in Santa Fe today. I feel like Jon Snow on the Wall. White everywhere I look, and still coming down.

Of course, I'm writing about Meereen, where the weather is hot and muggy, oppressive. If the snow keeps falling, I better take it as an omen, switch to a Jon chapter tomorrow.

The good news: finished a chapter today.

The bad news: it's one I've finished at least four times before.

This time, though, I think I finally got it right. We'll see. Still whacking at the Meereenese knot.

I took an especially vigorous hack two days ago, by switching to a new POV. It seems to have helped. Helps to have a pair of eyes on the inside rather than the outside here. And back story works better in recollections than in dialogue.

Let's hope that when next week comes, I still like what I did this week.

Writing, writing..

And, it looks like there's a cover to the book, posted on Jan 29th: Not A Blog - A Good Day, With Snow

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #826
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Quote:

Ahhh, the Uncle Rico pose. That's my preferred stance at the beach.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #827
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The good news: finished a chapter today.

The bad news: it's one I've finished at least four times before.

*cries*
Old 01-30-2010, 01:37 PM   #828
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Prediction: J.D. Salinger will publish his next book earlier than Martin's next ASOIAF book.

And yes, I know Salinger died this week (RIP).
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:09 PM   #829
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Prediction: J.D. Salinger will publish his next book earlier than Martin's next ASOIAF book.

And yes, I know Salinger died this week (RIP).

Yup I loved his books and read them a couple of times but stop following his blog like over a year ago. I have since moved on to The The Sword of Truth series which is 11 books and the writer actually finished the story line in it. I would recommend people check it out. I am currently listening to it in its audio book format and it is excellent.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #830
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post

Heh! That's a good one.

Anyone see that the guy (up above) playing Khal Drogo is also playing Conan in the new Conan movie? Personally, I think he makes a better Drogo than a Conan, but whatever.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 01-30-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #831
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

That guy doesn't look Irish at all!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:40 PM   #832
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
That guy doesn't look Irish at all!

Irish? Did I miss a reference?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #833
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Irish? Did I miss a reference?

I should have quoted the post above mine, but i was rushed. Anyways, it's a lame Conan joke.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:08 PM   #834
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yup I loved his books and read them a couple of times but stop following his blog like over a year ago. I have since moved on to The The Sword of Truth series which is 11 books and the writer actually finished the story line in it. I would recommend people check it out. I am currently listening to it in its audio book format and it is excellent.

He finished the Sword of Truth? I quit around the 7th or 8th book - it was just the same stuff over and over again in each book, it seemed like.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:40 AM   #835
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
He finished the Sword of Truth? I quit around the 7th or 8th book - it was just the same stuff over and over again in each book, it seemed like.

Yaeh 11 books. I guess your may miles vary. I liked it and like I said at least the story was completed unlike Martins who nbe lucky to get the next book completed before he crocks let alone the series (3-4 more books)
Old 01-31-2010, 12:35 PM   #836
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yaeh 11 books. I guess your may miles vary. I liked it and like I said at least the story was completed unlike Martins who nbe lucky to get the next book completed before he crocks let alone the series (3-4 more books)

Well for the record, I really, REALLY enjoyed the first three or four books in the series. By about book 5 though, it just seemed like every book is "Richard gets separated from Kahlan, has to find/fight his way back to her, rinse, repeat, over."
Old 01-31-2010, 01:23 PM   #837
3ric
College Starter

Quote:
Well for the record, I really, REALLY enjoyed the first three or four books in the series. By about book 5 though, it just seemed like every book is "Richard gets separated from Kahlan, has to find/fight his way back to her, rinse, repeat, over."

Yeah, me too. Loved the first book, great scenery, great concept... but story wise it just got too repetitive and I gave up after book 5 or so.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #838
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Alan Sepinwall tweets that "Game of Thrones" has been greenlit to series at HBO.

http://twitter.com/sepinwall/statuses/9888133082
Old 03-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #839
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yes!
Old 03-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #840
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Sweet!

Though I have no idea who Alan Sepinwall is or why he'd know this.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 03-02-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #841
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

This Conservative Party slogan spoof is spot on and AWESOME:

Old 03-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #842
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Though I have no idea who Alan Sepinwall is or why he'd know this.

Sorry. He's one of the bigger TV bloggers (along with Tim Goodman). He writes for the NJ Star-Ledger.

What's Alan Watching?
Old 03-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #843
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

A couple of more links with the news (a picture from the pilot is in the links):

HBO greenlights 'Game of Thrones' to series (pic)

Winter is, indeed, coming.

HBO has greenlighted highly anticipated fantasy series "Game of Thrones."
The premium network has picked up the project for a first season debut next spring (below is the first released photo from the series). Nine episodes plus the pilot have been ordered. Production will begin in Belfast this June.

From the moment the project was first announced in development, the series based on the George R.R. Martin novels has generated enormous, perhaps unprecedented, online interest for a series at such an early stage.

The sprawling tale set in the mythical land of Westeros tells the story of the noble Stark family who become caught up in high court intrigue when patriarch Eddard (played by Sean Bean) becomes the king's new right-hand man. The four-and-counting books in the series would each be used as one season of the series.

Unlike many fantasy novels, the "Thrones" series largely avoids relying on magical elements and instead goes for brutal realism -- think "Sopranos" with swords. Martin, a former TV writer ("Beauty and the Beast"), writes each chapter as a cliffhanger, which should lend itself well to series translation.

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2010/03/game-of-thrones-hbo-george-rr-martin-.html

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 03-02-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:32 PM   #844
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

great...either the hollywood reporter or the "In a Land Called Colorado" banner ad up top is spyware infested.

that picture looked hella sweet though. i can't wait!

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-02-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #845
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

well...it's the "In a Land Called Colorado" banner ad. how does one report those to OS?
Old 03-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #846
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Yay yay yay yay yay yay yay!

I'd do a dance but I'd probably end up hurting myself.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:42 PM   #847
Schmidty
Coordinator

This is great news, but I'm really starting to intensley dislike Martin. He seems like a lazy tool who's resting on his laurels and just dipshitting around while his fans wait. Yeah, yeah, he doesn't owe his fans anything, blah, blah, blah. I'm sorry, but he does. His fans bought his books, and he promised to continue to finish the series. But I mean, 5 YEARS?!?!?!?! I don't care how complicated crap like the "Meerish Knot" or whatever his other excuses are, it should not take that long.

I don't know, he just seems like an excuse-making, procrastinating, self-indulged dumbass.

I can't wait for his next book though.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #848
MrBug708
Head Coach

HE OWES US ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #849
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
HE OWES US ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

If that was sarcastic, then my response is "Yeah, yeah, yeah. Heard that argument a million times, and that's a simplification of the point". If it's not sarcasm, then I still don't agree, because that's not the whole point either.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:24 PM   #850
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is great news, but I'm really starting to intensley dislike Martin. He seems like a lazy tool who's resting on his laurels and just dipshitting around while his fans wait. Yeah, yeah, he doesn't owe his fans anything, blah, blah, blah. I'm sorry, but he does. His fans bought his books, and he promised to continue to finish the series. But I mean, 5 YEARS?!?!?!?! I don't care how complicated crap like the "Meerish Knot" or whatever his other excuses are, it should not take that long.

I don't know, he just seems like an excuse-making, procrastinating, self-indulged dumbass.

I can't wait for his next book though.

I certainly understand where you're coming from...it's frigging frustrating. I'm going to be 40 by the time the damn series is fucking finished...it's kind of ridiculous.