Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #801
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

SIAP.......the video of this pitch in the story is amazing. No spin at all.

Angels pitcher Robert Coello's mystery pitch leaves hitters muttering under their breath - Yahoo! Sports
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #802
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Rangers are taking out their frustrations on Brandon McCarthy. After losing in extra innings on Sunday to the Mariners in walkoff fashion, then losing both games of a doubleheader to Arizona on Memorial Day, the 2nd game also a walkoff, then having yesterday's game rained out, they chased McCarthy in 2 2/3 after scoring 6 runs. He'd given up 1 earned run in his previous 24 innings.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 05-30-2013 at 02:27 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #803
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
SIAP.......the video of this pitch in the story is amazing. No spin at all.

Angels pitcher Robert Coello's mystery pitch leaves hitters muttering under their breath - Yahoo! Sports

I've been throwing that pitch since I was in little league. My dad taught it to me when I was young. I was actually throwing it to my nephew the other week. Its not as hard to do as an actual knuckle ball, especially for someone like me who chews their nails like its going out of style. I know I threw it a few times at various levels. My dad was always one of the coaches, so I had a bit of leeway with what I could get away with on the mound (though never try a real knuckle ball submarined, you will get yelled at). Seeing as my fastball topped out in the low-mid 70s as a freshman before quitting for soccer, something tells me I didn't have a future throwing the ball in the pros.

I just always called it a y-ball.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #804
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Now that the Wings season is done I can continue with my "fire Jim Leyland for fuck's sake" campaign.

The Tigers are such an underachieving team again this year and it falls on Leyland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #805
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Now that the Wings season is done I can continue with my "fire Jim Leyland for fuck's sake" campaign.

The Tigers are such an underachieving team again this year and it falls on Leyland.

I expect you know a lot more about the Tigers than an outsider would but its hard for me to understand the underachievement of going to the World Series last year, the AL championship the year before, and currently in first place in their division with one of the best records in the AL. Define underachievement.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #806
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I expect you know a lot more about the Tigers than an outsider would but its hard for me to understand the underachievement of going to the World Series last year, the AL championship the year before, and currently in first place in their division with one of the best records in the AL. Define underachievement.

Perhaps my expectations as a fan are too high, but for a team that has arguably the best pitcher in baseball (Verlander), the best hitter in baseball (Cabrera), and one of the highest payrolls in all of baseball, one would think this team would run away with the weak-ass central division title. Much like last year, this team struggles with mediocrity and is barely above .500 at this point. Last year, they had to practically run the table at the end to win the division, and that only happened because of the Chisox meltdown.

Leyland isn't necessarily a bad manager, but he certainly isn't a great one either. I would take Girardi, Bochi, or even Joe Maddon (Tampa Bay Rays) over Leyland any day.

But like I said, perhaps my expectations as a fan are too high. *shurg*

Quote:
Old 05-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #807
Suicane75
Coordinator

Mitchell Boggs up to his old tricks.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:14 PM   #808
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

No chatter about the Royals coaching shake-up? Not surprised the idiots are gone, but the move to name Brett the interim coach certainly was a huge surprise around this area. Never thought he'd take that step.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:22 PM   #809
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Yea, i read somewhere where he (Brett) said "sometimes homeruns kill rallies." Somebody explain that to me.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:18 AM   #810
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Tigers lose 3 of 4 to the Pirates. Way to go guys.

Quote:
Old 05-31-2013, 03:08 AM   #811
Suicane75
Coordinator

Cardinals and Royals resuming at 4am est. Wonder how long they'd play if this went into extra innings.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:22 AM   #812
Butter
Coordinator

I thought they had put a rule in place a while back that prohibited starting a new inning past 1 AM local time... I guess I either had that way wrong, or they repealed it.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:02 AM   #813
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Yea, i read somewhere where he (Brett) said "sometimes homeruns kill rallies." Somebody explain that to me.

No, you're referring to the comments two days ago from the former hitting coach who was fired one day later when the comments hit the press. I boldfaced the comment that was hammered on the airwaves and lead to his firing. Only thing more amazing is that they actually reassigned this guy to the minor leagues after the comment. Why would you want him teaching your prospects????

Yost tries to tamp down controversy over hitting coach Jack Maloof's comments - KansasCity.com

Quote:
Yost tries to tamp down controversy over hitting coach Jack Maloof's comments

May 29
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

ST. LOUIS — Royals manager Ned Yost sought to clarify his hitting philosophy after one of the team’s batting coaches caused a stir among fans with his comments about the club’s lack of power.

Jack Maloof, who along with Andre Davis replaced Kevin Seitzer as hitting coaches in the offseason, told Fox Sports Kansas City on Wednesday that he expects the Royals to finish last in the American League in home runs a year after the team finished tied for last.

There is just no reward here (for us) to try and hit home runs,” Maloof told Fox Sports reporter Jeffrey Flanagan. “We try to stay down on the ball, be more line-drive oriented, and do more situational hitting at least through the first two or three rounds (at home) here. That’s why I’m not overly concerned because I think we’ll lead the league in fewest home runs again this year. We don’t have a 40-homer guy in the middle of the lineup.”
Old 05-31-2013, 09:04 AM   #814
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Pretty funny article here as well. Talks about the crazy comments from Royals managers right before they were fired and how Yost has had similar comments of late.

When things get bad, Royals managers say and do the darndest things - KansasCity.com
Old 05-31-2013, 09:32 AM   #815
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Tigers lose 3 of 4 to the Pirates. Way to go guys.

You realize the Pirates have the second best record in baseball?
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:44 AM   #816
Butter
Coordinator

Reds/Pirates this weekend should be a good one. This is the Reds 2nd road trip to Pittsburgh, after already putting in 2 road trips to St. Louis, and having neither of those teams come to Cincy yet. Reds are 2-7 on the road vs. STL and PIT, and 11-7 vs. the rest of MLB on the road, and 31-14 vs. the rest of MLB overall.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #817
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
That hitting coach was absolutely right. If you don't have home run power, and you try to hit home runs, you end up popping/flying out. You should be doing exactly what he said, stay down on the ball and try to hit line drives.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:01 AM   #818
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Plus the rally killing comment makes sense, pitchers pitch differently with men on base, if you have the bases juiced and hit a HR, you get the runs, but the pitcher can now pitch differently. Can't think of many situations off the top of my head where getting 4 runs is not a good things, but I can come up with a couple.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:39 AM   #819
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Plus the rally killing comment makes sense, pitchers pitch differently with men on base, if you have the bases juiced and hit a HR, you get the runs, but the pitcher can now pitch differently. Can't think of many situations off the top of my head where getting 4 runs is not a good things, but I can come up with a couple.

No, it doesn't. That's basically the silliest baseball thing I've heard those year - the fact that Larry Bowa was spouting that crap makes me even more convinced of its wrongness. As one wag on twitter put it, claims HR's kill rallies is like claiming getting laid reduces your chances of having sex. The goal is to score runs offensively, and hr's are the quickest way to do so.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:45 AM   #820
molson
General Manager

That reminds me of a friend I used to play hockey on the Sega Genesis with. Whenever he was shorthanded, he would intentionally give up a goal so he could get back to even strength. He thought that was a good strategy.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #821
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post

No, not really. Even if he pitches differently, no runs have crossed the plate. If you're down 3, and lead off the inning with a HR, it's not rally killing. You're down 2. Your chances of winning have gone up a lot more than if you're down 3 with a man on first. Chris Welsh, one of the Reds broadcasters spouts this drivel too. It's bullshit, plain and simple.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #822
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
That hitting coach was absolutely right. If you don't have home run power, and you try to hit home runs, you end up popping/flying out. You should be doing exactly what he said, stay down on the ball and try to hit line drives.

You're right if the players don't have homerun power. But the Royals have homerun players in their lineup. Gordon is a 20-25 HR guy. Butler should be challenging the Royals HR record every year, yet suddenly has a power outage when these idiots started as batting coach. Moose and Hosmer are guys who can hit for power who have been transformed to players hitting singles to the opposite field. I'd take an Adam Dunn or Rob Deer from some of these guys over a .260-.270 singles hitter any day.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #823
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Chris Welsh, one of the Reds broadcasters spouts this drivel too. It's bullshit, plain and simple.

You must've been watching the Indians game Wed. night also... he talked like going from 5-1 to 5-2 in the 9th was a bad thing.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:57 AM   #824
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I'm not saying that I agree 100%, but there are a fair number of times where the bases get cleared and suddenly the pitcher locks down the side. Again, unless you're down by more than 5 or 6l, I take the HR. if you're down by more, I'd rather keep plinking away.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:18 PM   #825
Suicane75
Coordinator

Touchdowns kill drives 100 percent of the time. Stupid touchdowns.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:26 PM   #826
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
You're right if the players don't have homerun power. But the Royals have homerun players in their lineup. Gordon is a 20-25 HR guy. Butler should be challenging the Royals HR record every year, yet suddenly has a power outage when these idiots started as batting coach. Moose and Hosmer are guys who can hit for power who have been transformed to players hitting singles to the opposite field. I'd take an Adam Dunn or Rob Deer from some of these guys over a .260-.270 singles hitter any day.

Of those three you mentioned (Hosmer, Gordon, and Butler), they have a grand total of 3 seasons of more than 20 homers in 17 combined ML seasons. That doesn't show much power.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #827
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Of those three you mentioned (Hosmer, Gordon, and Butler), they have a grand total of 3 seasons of more than 20 homers in 17 combined ML seasons. That doesn't show much power.

I'm sure that's just the fault of the hitting coach(es).
Old 05-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #828
cartman
Death Herald

lol
Old 05-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #829
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm sure that's just the fault of the hitting coach(es).

It honestly is at some level. The coaches that were just fired were the ones that trained these guys all through the minor leagues.

All three have had much more expected of them. One or two duds is normal. A whole system of top-flite power talent becoming singles hitters is a trend.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:47 PM   #830
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
You realize the Pirates have the second best record in baseball?

Yes, but it doesn't mean the Tigers should be losing 3 of 4 to them. Especially with that lineup and payroll. It just reeks of more underachieving by this team.

Quote:
Old 05-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #831
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yes, but it doesn't mean the Tigers should be losing 3 of 4 to them. Especially with that lineup and payroll. It just reeks of more underachieving by this team.

With the long delay between series, Gary Bettman turned his attention to other Pittsburgh teams...
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #832
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
It honestly is at some level. The coaches that were just fired were the ones that trained these guys all through the minor leagues.

All three have had much more expected of them. One or two duds is normal. A whole system of top-flite power talent becoming singles hitters is a trend.

Look at the Reds. Guys come to the majors and they NEVER get better.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:38 PM   #833
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

AUDIO: Steve Blass describes Pirates win in ... interesting terms - CBSSports.com
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:09 PM   #834
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Perhaps my expectations as a fan are too high, but for a team that has arguably the best pitcher in baseball (Verlander), the best hitter in baseball (Cabrera), and one of the highest payrolls in all of baseball, one would think this team would run away with the weak-ass central division title. Much like last year, this team struggles with mediocrity and is barely above .500 at this point. Last year, they had to practically run the table at the end to win the division, and that only happened because of the Chisox meltdown.

Quote:

Well Verlander isn't exactly pitching like the best pitcher in baseball right now (he's still great, but not at his usual heights - its still early). But what do you mean about barely over .500? They are 4 games behind the teams with the best record in the American League. That's nothing to sneeze at.

Also sneering because you lost to the Pirates ("with that lineup and payroll") because of what you expected the Pirates to be, seems reminiscent of teams sneering at losing to the Rays a few years back. Teams that are making their move and are young will naturally have a lower payroll.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #835
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well Verlander isn't exactly pitching like the best pitcher in baseball right now (he's still great, but not at his usual heights - its still early). But what do you mean about barely over .500? They are 4 games behind the teams with the best record in the American League. That's nothing to sneeze at.

Not sure what Verlander's problem is, perhaps that massive contract is in his head now, I dunno. The point I was making is that the AL Central is a sad sack division yet the Tigers are struggling with Cleveland for 1st place. If not for the Royals' flaming inferno, that division would be even tighter right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Also sneering because you lost to the Pirates ("with that lineup and payroll") because of what you expected the Pirates to be, seems reminiscent of teams sneering at losing to the Rays a few years back. Teams that are making their move and are young will naturally have a lower payroll.

I'm not sneering at the Pirates, and no offense (I feel for Pirates and Cubs fans, trust me the Tigers were awful in long stretches) but when Pittsburgh actually wins something then perhaps they will get some respect. Leading their division and having a top record at the beginning of June is not as impressive as being in that position in September. This could also be true with the Tigers floundering at this point in the season I suppose, but once again, with the high payroll and players they have come lofty expectations and right now they are not delivering.

FWIW, I wouldn't mind seeing the Pirates do something this year. It would be nice to have a different team involved for a change.

Quote:
Old 05-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #836
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
With the long delay between series, Gary Bettman turned his attention to other Pittsburgh teams...

lol well played SR....well played

Quote:
Old 05-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #837
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Btw, you realize this is a Cleveland team which is much better than the ones of the last few years. They are 4th in the AL Runs per Game, league average in pitching Runs per Game.

Yes, the Indians were idiots for letting Choo go to Cincy, but all the bullpen arms they got in that deal have done very well for them, and they replaced Choo's production by getting Swisher and Bourn.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:40 PM   #838
cougarfreak
College Starter

The Official 2013 MLB Thread

Welsh says that all the time. It's moronic.

Last edited by cougarfreak : 05-31-2013 at 02:41 PM.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #839
Easy Mac

Quote:
Not sure what Verlander's problem is, perhaps that massive contract is in his head now, I dunno. The point I was making is that the AL Central is a sad sack division yet the Tigers are struggling with Cleveland for 1st place. If not for the Royals' flaming inferno, that division would be even tighter right now.

His problem is he faced a pretty good Cleveland team twice, a pretty good Pittsburgh team, and a pretty good Texas team. Doing that 4 games in a row will probably knock down a pitcher's rate stats. Meanwhile the teams babips were 200 points higher than the previous 7 games. His walk and strikeout rates were pretty much the same, so it seems he just had bad luck against those teams.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:58 PM   #840
cartman
Death Herald

I'm going with the theory that breaking up with Kate Upton ruined Verlander.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:29 PM   #841
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Mitchell Boggs up to his old tricks.

Why he would put him there in that spot is beyond me. Back to AAA he goes.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:18 PM   #842
cartman
Death Herald

I missed that the family friend got called up by the Royals. He's starting behind the plate tonight against the Rangers.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:00 PM   #843
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Strasburg lifted with apparent arm injury after just 2 innings vs Atlanta
Stephen Strasburg pulled after two innings with apparent injury

edit to add: WaPo says it's a back issue rather than an arm/shoulder issue.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-31-2013 at 09:05 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:06 PM   #844
Easy Mac

I just assumed Strasburg just got sand in his vagina again.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #845
kingfc22
Head Coach

Giants should just not bother with traveling as they are awful on the road.

Starting pitching continues to be a big issue and now the bats are ice cold as well. I can't believe that they are still 2 games over .500
Old 06-02-2013, 06:22 AM   #846
miked
College Starter

Great win for the Braves in extras!
Old 06-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #847
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

This word, underachieve, I don't think it means what you think it means.

I know you were (are?) a Yankees fan, so you might have missed that decade plus or so where the Tigers were beyond awful. Leyland has been the best manager the team has had in ages. They went to the World Series last year and ran into a red hot buzz saw of a team in the Giants. They made it the American League Championship the year before and are currently first place in their division.

Yes, expectations are very high, as well they should be given the talent and payroll of this team, but it's June second right now and the Tigers have pretty much lived up to expectations the last couple of years.

They'll be fine.

Though you should be streaming Detroit sports talk radio. There are others around here in that campaign.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #848
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Matt Latos already has seven no decisions.

And anyone can have J. Broxton. For free.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #849
rowech
Pro Starter

Bizarre play in Reds-Rockies game where Helton lines into a double play by hitting the ball after it hit the plate. Play wasn't ruled a double play however. Strange play called wrong. Luckily, it didn't affect anything.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #850
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
This word, underachieve, I don't think it means what you think it means.

I know you were (are?) a Yankees fan, so you might have missed that decade plus or so where the Tigers were beyond awful. Leyland has been the best manager the team has had in ages. They went to the World Series last year and ran into a red hot buzz saw of a team in the Giants. They made it the American League Championship the year before and are currently first place in their division.

Yes, expectations are very high, as well they should be given the talent and payroll of this team, but it's June second right now and the Tigers have pretty much lived up to expectations the last couple of years.

They'll be fine.

Though you should be streaming Detroit sports talk radio. There are others around here in that campaign.

Fair enough. I grew up in Michigan and I remember very well how shitty this team was after Sparky left. With that being said, I sure hope this team turns it up a few notches because getting to the World Series is great but does it really matter if you are being swept or losing in 5 games when you get there?

Quote: