Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #801
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I rarely listen to/for the announcers except in rare instances like Vin Scully, so I don't notice anything but the really bad ones. Rob Dibble, Rex Hudler, and hawk Harrelson are the worst, IMO. The PBP guys are usually too vanilla to sound like anything other than white noise. Except that hack PBP guy for the Yankees - I make sure to listen to the opposing team's broadcast if I have the choice. It's usually the jackoff color guys who I notice and who aggravate the hell out of me.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-12-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #802
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Nice story about Frenchy......

Jeff Francoeur sends 20 pizzas to A's fans | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 04-12-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #803
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I rarely listen to/for the announcers except in rare instances like Vin Scully, so I don't notice anything but the really bad ones. Rob Dibble, Rex Hudler, and hawk Harrelson are the worst, IMO. The PBP guys are usually too vanilla to sound like anything other than white noise. Except that hack PBP guy for the Yankees - I make sure to listen to the opposing team's broadcast if I have the choice. It's usually the jackoff color guys who I notice and who aggravate the hell out of me.

Its high! And its far! Its an A-bomb for A-Rod!!
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #804
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Its high! And its far! Its an A-bomb for A-Rod!!

"Actually, it was caught at the wall."
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #805
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
"Actually, it was caught at the wall."

There’s a deep fly ball... Winfield goes back, back... his head hits the wall ... it’s rolling towards second base
Old 04-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #806
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:

Agree with this.

I'll always listen to Gary Thorne too.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #807
Ksyrup

Yeah, I've enjoyed Thorne. Unfortunately, he's way better than the team whose games he calls.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #808
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah, I've enjoyed Thorne. Unfortunately, he's way better than the team whose games he calls.

It's a shame NBC won't hire him to do hockey,

Old 04-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #809
korme
Go Reds

Willie Harris
Ryan Ludwick
Alfredo Simon
sucks
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #810
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Willie Harris
Ryan Ludwick
Alfredo Simon
sucks

As does Drew Stubbs.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #811
korme
Go Reds

Not giving up on Drew yet.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #812
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Arredondo(sp?) and Simon in 9th and 10th inning? Our bullpen is better then that.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #813
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Greinke did quite the flip from his last start, eh
Old 04-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #814
tarcone
Coordinator

One of the best nights of radio I ever listened to was in my truck on the way home listening to KMOX. Mike Shannon and Ron Santo swapping stories. Wow. What a great time.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #815
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Arredondo(sp?) and Simon in 9th and 10th inning? Our bullpen is better then that.

We're kind banged up so I'm ok with Dondo. But Dusty should have sent Marshall out there once Simon had 2 on... or just not had Simon out there to begin with.

Hell, I'd rather have Wilson Valdez out there!
Old 04-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #816
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Not giving up on Drew yet.

He's 27 at this point, regressed last year, looks even more lost this year. He, like Bailey, isn't going to make the turn.

Last edited by rowech : 04-12-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #817
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
We're kind banged up so I'm ok with Dondo. But Dusty should have sent Marshall out there once Simon had 2 on... or just not had Simon out there to begin with.

Hell, I'd rather have Wilson Valdez out there!

It's typical Dusty tho that either Bray or Ondrusek were unavailable today because he uses them both yesterday for 0.1 innings. And then Marshall not even being used because he's a "closer."
Old 04-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #818
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
He's 27 at this point, regressed last year, looks even more lost this year. He, like Bailey, isn't going to make the turn.

Excellent point.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #819
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
It's typical Dusty tho that either Bray or Ondrusek were unavailable today because he uses them both yesterday for 0.1 innings. And then Marshall not even being used because he's a "closer."

Not really Dusty, so much as modern baseball. At some point, a manger is going to have the guts to manage a bullpen the way it was managed through the 50s/60s, using your best guys when the game is on the line and pitching them 2-3 innings, maybe even letting them bat if need be. Teams are just not using their bullpens to get the most out of them.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #820
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Greinke did quite the flip from his last start, eh

Lots of bloop singles, but it seems like when he gives up a few runs on bloop singles he gets pissed and stops locating his pitches.

Nothing wrong with his stuff today
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #821
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Lots of bloop singles, but it seems like when he gives up a few runs on bloop singles he gets pissed and stops locating his pitches.

Nothing wrong with his stuff today

Is it me or are managers playing too many crazy shifts with the infield this year?

On that play where Soriano scored, the ground ball would have went right to the SS. Instead, he was playing on the other side of 2nd base and no one could get to it.

I don't understand why you put a crazy ass shift on when you have a runner on 2nd. What do you want your 3B to do in that situation? He can't play regular positioning so how can he cover the bag if Soriano tries to steal?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #822
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Is it me or are managers playing too many crazy shifts with the infield this year?

On that play where Soriano scored, the ground ball would have went right to the SS. Instead, he was playing on the other side of 2nd base and no one could get to it.

I don't understand why you put a crazy ass shift on when you have a runner on 2nd. What do you want your 3B to do in that situation? He can't play regular positioning so how can he cover the bag if Soriano tries to steal?

Ron Roenicke was big on the crazy shifts last year too. More so than most managers. He gets burned by it sometimes, but last year the shifts made some defensive metrics consider Yuniesky Betancourt an average shortstop. I think in the long run, the data shows it works. We just tend to remember when it doesn't work.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #823
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
At some point, a manger is going to have the guts to manage a bullpen the way it was managed through the 50s/60s, using your best guys when the game is on the line and pitching them 2-3 innings, maybe even letting them bat if need be. Teams are just not using their bullpens to get the most out of them.

Will never happen unless they change the save criteria. And if they change the save criteria, I guarantee you 30 out of 30 teams start managing their bullpens completely differently overnight.

Last edited by LloydLungs : 04-12-2012 at 10:27 PM.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #824
kingfc22
Head Coach

Giants have scored at least 4 runs every game yet are 2-4.

Would never have guessed that seeing how they were something like 55-9 last year when they scored 4 runs or more.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:50 PM   #825
Swaggs
Coordinator

Pedro Alvarez seems to have 2-3 moments per game where he looks like he has never played the game of baseball before.

I hate to say he's never going to turn into anything, but it is tough to see how he turns into much more than a corner infield, roster bubble-type guy. He's got plus power, but such a huge hole(s) in his swing. Just sucks for someone, that a team like the Pirates really needs to step up, to flop the way he has.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:11 AM   #826
Suicane75
Coordinator

Completely agree. I drafted him high on my fantasy squad last year and watched a ton of his AB's as a result and I can't for the life of me figure out how he achieved such high prospect status. Like you said, it's not that he just isn't hitting, it's that he has no idea how to.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:16 AM   #827
Ksyrup

Quote:
Ron Roenicke was big on the crazy shifts last year too. More so than most managers. He gets burned by it sometimes, but last year the shifts made some defensive metrics consider Yuniesky Betancourt an average shortstop. I think in the long run, the data shows it works. We just tend to remember when it doesn't work.

TB uses them the best of anybody and they seem to always be at the top of the defensive efficiency ratings. Watching that Yankees series to open the year, they seemed to have guys always in the right position. So part of it is having reliable info.

Part of it is also knowing when to use it. I'm not a huge fan of late game shifts. Case in point - that crazy Boston/Detroit game last Sunday. Boston's up 2 runs to start the bottom of the 11th, and they shifted left on Cabrera and he went the other way for a single, then shifted way right on Prince and he purposely check-swinged a ball where the 3Bman would have been. In those situations, yeah you'd love to hit 2 HRs to tie the game, but you need base runners more than anything. And those shifts are intended to prevent base hits, not HRs. So shifting and giving up a hit to the opposite field accomplishes pretty much what the offensive team wants and what the shift is designed to prevent. I guess the only thing it does for the D is keeps the batter from swinging for the fences, if he's dead-set on hitting it to the open spot. But up 2, is it really smart to start the inning with 2 on and no one out? The rest of Detroit's lineup isn't THAT bad (as they proved).

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-13-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #828
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Willie Harris
Ryan Ludwick
Alfredo Simon
sucks

w00t

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #829
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Quote:
TB uses them the best of anybody and they seem to always be at the top of the defensive efficiency ratings. Watching that Yankees series to open the year, they seemed to have guys always in the right position. So part of it is having reliable info.

Part of it is also knowing when to use it. I'm not a huge fan of late game shifts. Case in point - that crazy Boston/Detroit game last Sunday. Boston's up 2 runs to start the bottom of the 11th, and they shifted left on Cabrera and he went the other way for a single, then shifted way right on Prince and he purposely check-swinged a ball where the 3Bman would have been. In those situations, yeah you'd love to hit 2 HRs to tie the game, but you need base runners more than anything. And those shifts are intended to prevent base hits, not HRs. So shifting and giving up a hit to the opposite field accomplishes pretty much what the offensive team wants and what the shift is designed to prevent. I guess the only thing it does for the D is keeps the batter from swinging for the fences, if he's dead-set on hitting it to the open spot. But up 2, is it really smart to start the inning with 2 on and no one out? The rest of Detroit's lineup isn't THAT bad (as they proved).

Heh... Tampa Bay and Milwaukee.

Y'all can blame the heavy shift usage on Mr. Scioscia. He has been doing it in Anaheim for years, and apparently Joe Maddon and Roenicke were paying attention.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #830
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Heh... Tampa Bay and Milwaukee.

Y'all can blame the heavy shift usage on Mr. Scioscia. He has been doing it in Anaheim for years, and apparently Joe Maddon and Roenicke were paying attention.

Yep, Ron R made it clear from the beginning he'd be bringing those tactics from the Angels. I just wish he'd have left the bunting in the first inning back on the west coast.

On another note, I just have a funny feeling that Carlos Gomez breaks out this year and Nyjer Morgan regresses. Gomez is only 26 years old and while still lacking baseball smarts is physically gifted enough to luck into hitting enough to have a few excellent peak years. Even with a .225/.276/.403 line last year he was a 2 win player. He'll never be an OBP machine but I could see a 4-5 win season or two from him in the next few years.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #831
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Reds fans, strap yourselves in for a shootout tonight.

Stubbs CF
Valdez SS
Votto 1B
Rolen 3B
Bruce RF
Ludwick LF
Harris 2B
Hanigan C
Arroyo RHP

Not sure why Cozart already needs a day off unless something is wrong. He's a young guy, it can't be due to being tired, right? At least wait until Phillips is back. Christ. Of course, watch they put up a 10 spot tonight.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #832
Grover
Pro Starter

Ellsbury got hurt early in the Sox game today. Slid into second, Rays SS fell onto his shoulder hard. Ellsbury was in serious discomfort on the field and when he walked off the field.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #833
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Ellsbury got hurt early in the Sox game today. Slid into second, Rays SS fell onto his shoulder hard. Ellsbury was in serious discomfort on the field and when he walked off the field.

This team just can't catch a break. They're going down.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #834
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Adam Dunn is back.

0-4 4k's
Old 04-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #835
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
This team just can't catch a break. They're going down.

8 run 8th inning helps, right?

Old 04-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #836
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

At least the Red Sox have the excuse of injuries. The Angels' weird issues with their rotation all sucking is mind boggling.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #837
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Quote:
Adam Dunn is back.

0-4 4k's

LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #838
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

With the Reds disappointing start at least I can take solace that the Cubs are destroying Wainwright and Co. in their home opener.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #839
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Adam Dunn is back.

0-4 4k's

But it's not like he can get worse than last year. (Or so I hope.)

Good news is, we're still 4-2, which I frankly didn't expect.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:55 PM   #840
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

That Cain kid is pretty good. 9.0 1hit 0 bb 0 runs
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #841
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

And wasn't the one hit from the damn pitcher?
Old 04-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #842
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
With the Reds disappointing start at least I can take solace that the Cubs are destroying Wainwright and Co. in their home opener.

The Cards played like shit against the bad teams in the division last year. One can only hope this is the continuation of that trend.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #843
Butter
Coordinator

Stubbs, Valdez, Harris, and Ludwick in the lineup tonight for the Reds.

Over/under should be about 3 hits for the whole lineup.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #844
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

With the way he is hitting so far, you might as well throw Rolen on that list as well.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #845
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Stubbs, Valdez, Harris, and Ludwick in the lineup tonight for the Reds.

Over/under should be about 3 hits for the whole lineup.

It's probably best to bench a .370 hitter at this point in time since the offense is struggling so bad. Also, make sure to put the .154 hitter in the leadoff spot since he's fast. Nevermind that he can't steal first.

Last edited by rowech : 04-13-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #846
rowech
Pro Starter

Maybe Dusty just manages entirely based upon regression to the mean. Struggling players will balance out by going up and players playing well will come down.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #847
Butter
Coordinator

No hits through 2, we're on target for the O/U!
Old 04-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #848
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It's the fucking Cubs.. UGH!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #849
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Matt Cain is better than you. 1 hit, 1 baserunner allowed today, and that was to the goddamn pitcher.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #850
rowech
Pro Starter

3 hit shutout through 7 1/3 with 95 pitches and you pull the guy? Can't wait to see the pen blow the game for the Reds.