Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 11:57 AM   #801
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I could go on for paragraphs and paragraphs about Honolulu Blue's comments, but I really don't want this to turn into a gun control debate either.

Bottom line is we do have the right to keep and bear arms, and many people in New Orleans are exercising that right in a lawful manner. Many others sure as heck wish they could.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:01 PM   #802
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
I could go on for paragraphs and paragraphs about Honolulu Blue's comments, but I really don't want this to turn into a gun control debate either.

Bottom line is we do have the right to keep and bear arms, and many people in New Orleans are exercising that right in a lawful manner. Many others sure as heck wish they could.

I agree- assault rifles are A-okay, but damn those gay people getting married infringes on my rights in a way my neighbor having a gun does not. But fair enough - save this for another thread.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:02 PM   #803
Masked
College Starter

WWL-TV is reporting thunderstorms just south of the city.

What happens if lighting hits water that has thousands of people standing in it?
Old 09-01-2005, 12:05 PM   #804
JeeberD
General Manager

Fox News shows fires spreading in the city...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 09-01-2005 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:05 PM   #805
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked
WWL-TV is reporting thunderstorms just south of the city.

What happens if lighting hits water that has thousands of people standing in it?

I don't think it's too bad unless you're in the immediate vicinity. But more rain is NOT what that city needs right now.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:08 PM   #806
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister71
I never hear this kind of talk after stores get looted after a team wins a championship.

You hear it from me, and I'm pretty sure this is a case where I'm a long way from alone too.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:08 PM   #807
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ugh. CNN has decided to show dead people. Covered up, but still...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Old 09-01-2005, 12:10 PM   #808
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Anybody in Baton Rouge that can confirm this:

http://tigersmack.com/ and http://joshbritton.com/2005/09/01/ba...uge-situation/

Quote:
Here’s what I’ve heard this morning via emails, instant messaging, and callers to local radio shows. I cannot stress strongly enough that 100% of what follows is RUMOR, and rumors run rampant during crisis situations.

-Tanger Mall in Gonzales being looted
-Grocery stores and WalMarts being looted for food, clothing, and electronics by gangs of thugs.
-Pawn shops being robbed for guns
-Carjackings all over Baton Rouge, including on the LSU campus
-Muggings and armed robberies all over Baton Rouge
-Private and governmental buildings downtown being evacuated for security reasons
-Some sort of hostage situation downtown

Quote:
I am receiving reports that there may be some safety issues in Baton Rouge caused by the influx of evacuees. When I left the LSU Journalism building late last night, I was not allowed to leave alone because of unconfirmed reports of suspicious and/or threatening activity around the Assembly Center. Also, I have received reports that cars have been broken into around the LSU campus and that students are being advised to move their cars away from some of the shelter areas.

Also, I have heard that cars parked near the RiverCenter downtown have been broken into and that perhaps 100 uniformed personnel have been dispatched to the area.

Please, please do not let this deter you from volunteering. I post this information not to scare anyone, but to remind each of you to keep your eyes open. There is ample security at each of the locations [UPDATE: I can no longer vouch for the safety of shelter locations in Baton Rouge], but please be aware of your surroundings.

UPDATE from a friend at LSU: Pleasant Hall has been locked down and employees are not being allowed to leave.

I am getting very angry about this situation because these folks causing the problems are seriously hindering the relief efforts. I understand that they are desperate, but we’ve got to take drastic action to make sure the volunteers and other evacuees are safe.

The Baton Rouge paper (2theadvocate.com) has this:

[quote]
Baton Rouge Police spokesman, Officer L’Jean McKneely said this morning that rumors of escalating crime downtown are untrue.

“No looting, no burglaries and no home invasions,” McKneely said. “We are getting calls coming from New Orleans, where 911 calls are rolling into Baton Rouge. We believe those things are happening in New Orleans, but they are not happening here.”

McKneely said with such an influx of refugees coming from New Orleans into the Baton Rouge River Center there has been confusion, so officials decided to shut down the Governmental Building, which is next door.

Baton Rouge Police closed off most north-south streets downtown to establish a presence.

“Nothing major has happened down there, we are just establishing a presence early,” McKneely said. “It is just a show of force.”

“We want the community to know we are here and that we are talking care of business,” he added.

“We are just trying to put a cap on all these rumors. People should have patience and be calm. If something major happens they are going to hear it from us,” McKneely said.
[quote]
Old 09-01-2005, 12:12 PM   #809
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
There is a huge difference between survival foraging (gathering food, water, clothing, shelter, etc.) and what seems to be going on all over the city, which is looting of luxury items and other goods that having nothing whatsoever to do with survival.

But the crux of the issue (in my opinion) is that you've got a total breakdown of societal values, respect for law, and the rights of others. Chaos reigns, might makes right. Either you move to stop this or you're abandoning the city and the innocent inhabitants that remain to a primal landscape where it's truly predators vs. prey.

Oh I definitely agree with your first paragraph. I am only asking why people think they should be shot. I know some people may not be totally serious with that, but why such strong anger considering it goes on in any riot or after most sports championships. I know there is a difference and I even mentioned that they should be prosecuted, but I won't go as far as believing that they should be thought of as the same way as a murderer or rapist.

And your second issue is only bound to become more of a problem as time passes by with no help. I realize that everyone is doing everything that they can in this situation, but it doesn't help me feel any better about the situation at all knowing that more people are going to die to anything other than starvation.

Edited to correct wording.

Last edited by Antmeister : 09-01-2005 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:17 PM   #810
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am only asking why people think they should be shot.

Because that's going to be the only way to stop a pack of animals that has lost rhyme, reason, or concern for civilization or anything other than their own primal urges.

And at this point, I'm not sure that even that will be as effective a deterrent as is needed.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:22 PM   #811
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Because that's going to be the only way to stop a pack of animals that has lost rhyme, reason, or concern for civilization or anything other than their own primal urges.

And at this point, I'm not sure that even that will be as effective a deterrent as is needed.

So I am assuming that this will include the children who are looting the stores as well because they were either told to or they just happened to see others doing it and don't really know any better.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:23 PM   #812
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Something interesting from the WWL blog:

Quote:
12:02 P.M. - (AP): The federal court system in New Orleans needs a new place to set up shop.

The courts are closed indefinitely.

And a federal judiciary spokesman says Congress must pass emergency legislation when it returns after Labor Day to let the system move to an alternate location.

Federal law doesn't let U.S. District courts hold proceedings outside their geographic area.

But the Speedy Trial Act says criminal cases must be handled quickly, so New Orleans will need a new locale to deal with cases.

Old 09-01-2005, 12:24 PM   #813
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So I am assuming that this will include the children who are looting the stores as well because they were either told to or they just happened to see others doing it and don't really know any better.

If they loot, then you must shoot.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:28 PM   #814
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

SI

Old 09-01-2005, 12:30 PM   #815
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:

Man, you are so jaded. Did you own a store that got looted or something? Why the anger? You seem level headed except when it comes to politics and this disaster. What is really angering you with this whole situation?
Old 09-01-2005, 12:32 PM   #816
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I'm not trying to be inflammatory, Antmeister, but how would you handle a gun-toting gang of looters? Specifically, if they are confronted by law enforcement but do not stand down?
Old 09-01-2005, 12:33 PM   #817
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Well personally, I seperate that and children.

Old 09-01-2005, 12:40 PM   #818
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
Well personally, I seperate that and children.
Is that directed toward me?

If so, I think that's more than obvious. No one is advocating gunning-down child looters. Come on.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:40 PM   #819
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I'm of the opinion to shoot to wound, unless fired upon, which means shoot to kill. Regarding children, well, that's a different kettle of fish. I'm not sure there is a right answer there. Children really are more likely to act in this way because they see adults doing so. Best way to handle that is to control the adults. Thinking a little more, child looters should still be apprehended but with minimal force, if possible (except if said child is for whatever reason toting a gun, in which case everything short of lethal force should be exercised, if possible and deadly force as a last resort).

I believe most people are similar in thinking. It's unfortunate to resort to force to quell such actions, but frankly, talking at them isn't going to get very far. If anything, we're finally getting insight into what would happen if law and order did break down anywhere else in the country. There will be lessons drawn from this experience. Hard, ugly lessons, but lessons nonetheless.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:40 PM   #820
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Man, you are so jaded. Did you own a store that got looted or something? Why the anger? You seem level headed except when it comes to politics and this disaster. What is really angering you with this whole situation?

Basically what WSUcougar just asked you would be my same question.

And no, I've never owned retail, so I'm spared from direct lootee experience. But those stores & owners aren't the only victims of these criminals.
Just the anecdotes that have trickled out of New Orleans so far include:
S&R cops being shot at while trapped on a roof, a cop shot in the freakin' forehead (either a very lucky shot OR a very calculated cold-blooded one), a retirement home bus hijacked & their supplies stolen, military helicopters engaged in rescue/ evacuation work being fired upon, EMT's under fire while trying to help those in the most serious need, hospitals forced to evacuate due in part to concerns about looters threatening the safety of both staff & patients, armed gangs roaming neighborhoods firing randomly shouting for residents to "get out, cause we're coming", a bus full of medical supplies being hijacked, set fires that further delayed evacuation efforts ... dammit Ant, the list grows by the hour and you're wondering "why the hostility"?

Jesus Christ man, does a house have to fall on you or something?
Old 09-01-2005, 12:41 PM   #821
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Directed towards what this was in response to.

Old 09-01-2005, 12:44 PM   #822
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm not trying to be inflammatory, Antmeister, but how would you handle a gun-toting gang of looters? Specifically, if they are confronted by law enforcement but do not stand down?

First of all, I only read on this thread that there were "rumors" of gangs with guns taking over grocery stores. The only shootings I heard on any of the news I heard or read dealt with the stadium. I can't tell you how many stories that I heard during the Rodney King riots that were totally untrue. And there are plenty of ways to deal with that crowd, especially when a number of them are just innocent bystanders hoping to get help.

And if you are telling me that any child should be shot for looting, I feel sorry that you feel that way. I am just under the firm belief that someone shouldn't get shot and killed because they took a DVD player or a pair of sneaker or even a shopping basket full of unneccessary items for survival for that matter.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:45 PM   #823
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

EF,
Glad to hear things are settling down for you and that you've found a place to be while you're back in LA until things calm down in NO and you can go back there (if? would you?).

As an update on my brother, my folks just wired him some money since he really wasn't prepared to set up "long term" anywhere (he didn't take clothes or anything with him, just his cat, his laptop, and a few changes of clothes, not his entire wardrobe). We're going under the assumption that he's lost everything--even if his place wasn't hit by flooding (which it may not have been), between fires and looters, and his place being on the ground floor, realism is moving in in place of optimism. He's currently in Austin, TX, with his girlfriend and her father. He's not sure what his next plan is--he's either going to look for employment in Austin, or move out to Portland (where he has other friends) or come back here to Maryland.

I hope that the rest of you in NO (or with family in NO) are starting to get "settled" one way or the other, too!

/tk
Old 09-01-2005, 12:47 PM   #824
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am just under the firm belief that someone shouldn't get shot and killed because they took a DVD player or a pair of sneaker or even a shopping basket full of unneccessary items for survival for that matter.

Then we're in such a fundamental & basic disagreement that we aren't likely to find much to agree on in the whole genre.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:48 PM   #825
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
First of all, I only read on this thread that there were "rumors" of gangs with guns taking over grocery stores. The only shootings I heard on any of the news I heard or read dealt with the stadium. I can't tell you how many stories that I heard during the Rodney King riots that were totally untrue. And there are plenty of ways to deal with that crowd, especially when a number of them are just innocent bystanders hoping to get help.

I've gotta think it's more than just a couple of incidents and a lot of rumors if they've gotten to the point where they have ceased evacuating people. That leads me to believe it's a lot worse. In this situation, people are willing to take a bit of risk on to save other people's lives and if those people think it's too dangerous then it's a bad situation.

SI

Old 09-01-2005, 12:52 PM   #826
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
And if you are telling me that any child should be shot for looting, I feel sorry that you feel that way.
No, I never even insinuated such a thing. Please don't misrepresent me.

Quote:
I am just under the firm belief that someone shouldn't get shot and killed because they took a DVD player or a pair of sneaker or even a shopping basket full of unneccessary items for survival for that matter
I think you are making this an either/or scenario when it clearly isn't one. There should be levels of force.

But it's also very likely, in my opinion, that some (many?) of the looters have totally lost their respect for law, civilization, and anything but their own primal activities. Some are armed, and many more are dangerous. So I repeat the question:

How would you handle these types of looters?
Old 09-01-2005, 12:52 PM   #827
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It kindof starts getting numb after a while, but wow, that last segment on WWL was just, well, I don't know what words to put to it...

SI

Old 09-01-2005, 12:52 PM   #828
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The only shootings I heard on any of the news I heard or read dealt with the stadium.

I know it's legit hard to keep track of the large amount of info, so I'm not dogging you one bit for that, but, just from the latest version of the AP story:

But some Federal Emergency Management rescue operations were suspended in areas where gunfire has broken out, Homeland Security spokesman Russ Knocke said in Washington. "In areas where our employees have been determined to potentially be in danger, we have pulled back," he said.

"Hospitals are trying to evacuate," said Coast Guard Lt. Cmdr. Cheri Ben-Iesan, spokesman at the city emergency operations center. "At every one of them, there are reports that as the helicopters come in people are shooting at them. There are people just taking potshots at police and at helicopters, telling them, "You better come get my family.

In a sign of growing lawlessness, Tenet HealthCare Corp. asked authorities late Wednesday to help evacuate a fully functioning hospital in Gretna after a supply truck carrying food, water and medical supplies was held up at gunpoint.

Of the top of my head, the cops-on-the-roof story was from yesterday morning (happened Tuesday night), I believe the shot in the head but survived cop story was from fairly early on Tuesday.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:53 PM   #829
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Basically what WSUcougar just asked you would be my same question.

And no, I've never owned retail, so I'm spared from direct lootee experience. But those stores & owners aren't the only victims of these criminals.
Just the anecdotes that have trickled out of New Orleans so far include:
S&R cops being shot at while trapped on a roof, a cop shot in the freakin' forehead (either a very lucky shot OR a very calculated cold-blooded one), a retirement home bus hijacked & their supplies stolen, military helicopters engaged in rescue/ evacuation work being fired upon, EMT's under fire while trying to help those in the most serious need, hospitals forced to evacuate due in part to concerns about looters threatening the safety of both staff & patients, armed gangs roaming neighborhoods firing randomly shouting for residents to "get out, cause we're coming", a bus full of medical supplies being hijacked, set fires that further delayed evacuation efforts ... dammit Ant, the list grows by the hour and you're wondering "why the hostility"?

Jesus Christ man, does a house have to fall on you or something?

No I just don't see the situation in the same matter. You are linking looters to murderers, potential murderers and hijackers. Sure looting is a part of this grand chaos, but I won't go so far as to shoot everyone in sight that looks like they are about to do something wrong.

What I am saying is that if there is zero tolerance for looting and enforced strongly, innocent people are going to die who are just trying to survive. I agree with you that people are taking advantage of the situation, but it is not as simple as shoot all that loot.

And my comments weren't meant to slander you in any way. I was just saying that when you get angry, you refuse to see it past a black and white (no pun intended) issue.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:57 PM   #830
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
EF,
Glad to hear things are settling down for you and that you've found a place to be while you're back in LA until things calm down in NO and you can go back there (if? would you?).

As an update on my brother, my folks just wired him some money since he really wasn't prepared to set up "long term" anywhere (he didn't take clothes or anything with him, just his cat, his laptop, and a few changes of clothes, not his entire wardrobe). We're going under the assumption that he's lost everything--even if his place wasn't hit by flooding (which it may not have been), between fires and looters, and his place being on the ground floor, realism is moving in in place of optimism. He's currently in Austin, TX, with his girlfriend and her father. He's not sure what his next plan is--he's either going to look for employment in Austin, or move out to Portland (where he has other friends) or come back here to Maryland.

I hope that the rest of you in NO (or with family in NO) are starting to get "settled" one way or the other, too!

/tk

Glad to hear that he is safe. Like him, we only brought a few days worth of clothes. I also brought expensive small electronics such as the PSP, our digital camera, some games that didn't take up much space, jewelry and sentimental stuff (wedding pictures and other wedding momentos.) However, we didn't have much room in the 2 cars with 5 adults and 4 pets. That is part of why these furnished apartments sound so nice in Shreveport - they will provide linens, dishes, silverware, and all of that sort of stuff. I'll need to buy some more dress clothes, etc.

As far as the question of if/when will we go back. If they eventually move the LSU Medical School back into New Orleans (which I completely expect they eventually will), I'll move back to the New Orleans area. However, as I mentioned in this thread or the other thread, I expect that my home buying efforts will shift from the Slidell/New Orleans area to the LaPlace area.

I'm also expecting to see my stuff destroyed or stolen by looters. If it isn't, I'll consider myself very lucky. Most of our expensive stuff is on the 2nd floor so we might get lucky if the looters don't break in as we know it didn't flood to bad near our place.

I feel better that we at least have a plan now. Of course, part of that plan will be dictated by the LSU Department Head meeting later today. I could end up still working in Baton Rouge in which case I'll probably have to be seperated from Kathy for 4-5 days/week and then drive back to "our apartment" for weekends.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:57 PM   #831
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And my comments weren't meant to slander you in any way. I was just saying that when you get angry, you refuse to see it past a black and white (no pun intended) issue.

FWIW, I didn't take them as slanderous at all. Especially not since I believe very strongly that much of life is black-and-white. Nothing slanderous or offensive at all in you saying something that I generally acknowledge.

And probably surprisingly to some, I'm not particularly mad at you or anything either. We totally & completely come at this from different angles I think & it seems likely that each of us has views that are totally incomprehensible to the other. That's just how it is sometimes in life.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:00 PM   #832
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
First of all, I only read on this thread that there were "rumors" of gangs with guns taking over grocery stores. The only shootings I heard on any of the news I heard or read dealt with the stadium.

Read up...

Quote:
It's raining now and I guess that's a relief from the heat. It's hot as hell down there in the sun. Crime is absolutely rampant: rapes, murders, rape-murder combinations.

I have really cut back answering IMs. Not enough time. I apologize people.

In case anyone in national security is reading this, get the word to President Bush that we need the military in here NOW. The Active Duty Armed Forces. Mr. President, we are losing this city. I don't care what you're hearing on the news. The city is being lost. It is the law of the jungle down here. The command and control structure here is barely functioning. I'm not sure it's anyone's fault -- I'm not sure it could be any other way at this point. We need the kind of logistical support and infrastructure only the Active Duty military can provide. The hospitals are in dire straights. The police barely have any capabilities at this point. The National Guard is doing their best, but the situation is not being contained. I'm here to help in anyway I can, but my capabilities are limited and dropping. Please get the military here to maintain order before this city is lost.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/interdictor/

Old 09-01-2005, 01:00 PM   #833
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
.. Please don't misrepresent me.

I think you are making this an either/or scenario when it clearly isn't one. There should be levels of force.

But it's also very likely, in my opinion, that some (many?) of the looters have totally lost their respect for law, civilization, and anything but their own primal activities. Some are armed, and many more are dangerous. So I repeat the question:

How would you handle these types of looters?

Well if I misintrepeted, sorry, but I guess we have different definitions on what a looter is. If someone is taking crap whether or not it is for survival then that is a looter. If someone is firing upon the police, I call that a potential murderer. So I am not talking about taking the same course of action for people who are trying to take out the police or possible help. I am strictly talking about those that are only looting. I am not lumping everyone in that chaos a looter. Could the gun toting people be called looters? I have no idea if they are stealing and shooting, but either way once they fire the gun at another human being, the definition changes.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:05 PM   #834
Masked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
It kindof starts getting numb after a while, but wow, that last segment on WWL was just, well, I don't know what words to put to it...

SI

What was it about? I missed it.

Sorry to break up the looting discussion (but isn't there another thread)
Old 09-01-2005, 01:09 PM   #835
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD

Jeebs thanks for the link. That is really sad that it is quickly degenerating this many days out from the hurricane. My arguement was in regards to the looters and not necessarily the rapists, murders, etc that are harming other human beings directly. It was just my opinion that the looters shouldn't be treated in the same way as the other criminals as others on this thread would like to see them handled (by way of shooting them). And don't get me wrong, if there is a mixture of both on the same street and the military has to take action, I am not naive to believe that they shouldn't take the best action best for them. I am just saying that if they are strictly come upon a group of looters who wield no weapons, they shouldn't be shot to death. Just my 5 1/2 cents.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:11 PM   #836
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked
What was it about? I missed it.

Sorry to break up the looting discussion (but isn't there another thread)

Yeah, but there's been talk about merging the thread anyways since this is kindof a giant "Katrina" dumping thread- it's not like the thread is about it reaching category 5 any more.

As to the first part, there was a hospital in one of the parrishes talking about how their generators was about to fail and how every attempt to get people transported to the airlift location wasn't happening fast enough and kept getting diverted- basically there's just not enough resources on the ground and the fact that FEMA had to pull back is making things even worse. And there were these two fairly composed women among the staff who were talking about how if the hospital goes dark, there's no way their one security guard can keep people out and how if they didn't get these people out by tonight, they were probably all going to die to the looters outside. Then one of them broke up a little because the helipad site was for patients only and how their staff of about 40, even if they got all the patients out, would have to find their own way out of there. It was just chilling and one of those things that just makes your heart really go out to them and wish you could go do something to help.

SI

Old 09-01-2005, 01:13 PM   #837
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I feel better that we at least have a plan now. Of course, part of that plan will be dictated by the LSU Department Head meeting later today. I could end up still working in Baton Rouge in which case I'll probably have to be seperated from Kathy for 4-5 days/week and then drive back to "our apartment" for weekends.

Is there any chance that the medical shoool will be able to help you find an apartment in Baton Rouge?
Old 09-01-2005, 01:28 PM   #838
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbatl1
Is there any chance that the medical shoool will be able to help you find an apartment in Baton Rouge?

I've written emails to three of my bosses. None of them have replied. Right now, things are still chaotic. I can't wait any longer to hear from them as I called at least a dozen apartment complexes in Baton Rouge, and everyone of them told me the entire city's apartments are full. I called 6-7 apartment complexes in Lake Charles and was told they are all full. I called 6-7 complexes in Lafayette and they were all full. I had to act. I got us 2 furnished apartments in Shreveport (2 - 2 bedroom fully furnished apartments.)

We won't be able to move in until around September 9th, so we'll stay at the hotel here (in North Little Rock, AR) until at least Weds the 7th. If my boss gets ahold of me before the 7th, I guess I could cancel since the lady at the front desk of the apartment complex said she would understand if our plans changed, but she will hold the apartment for us. She plans on calling me on the 7th to see if our plans have changed or to let us know if it is still a go for the 9th for one of the 2 apartments. The second apartment will be ready by the 12th.

I'm really anxious to see what is posted on the website after the 3PM meeting of LSU Medical School Department Heads today.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 09-01-2005 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:33 PM   #839
Dutch
"Dutch"

I worked the graveyard shift at the LSU-Shreveport shelter last night. They were housing 800 folks on Tue and last night it was around 1,000. It's still going up.

The Red Cross has a great set-up and the folks that made it this far north are pretty up-beat with all things considered. There was enough clothes and food and toiletries and medical supplies to take care of probably another 500 people on site. The donations from the local community were very important to its success.

The gymnasium was converted into a sleeping all and it was wall to wall cots. The hallways were lined with air mattresses and cots. Thankfully the air conditioning was in good order.

On the negative side, there was one fight that started when somebody was slamming a door and disturbing everybody at 2 in the morning. That brought in the cops, but amazingly the local Shreveport cops that showed up didn't want to arrest the guy. They took the instigator to another part of the building and the on-site cops and security made sure he cooled out.

A local pizza shop brought pizza's at 2:30 in the morning. Mostly just volunteers were still awake at that point, and cops. The cops were also the only ones awake when the donuts arrived. Amazing how that works, eh?

By daybreak, I noticed the outside of the building was covered in graffiti. I mean, every square inch as high as 7 feet was covered. That pissed off some janitor who was cursing up a storm since he figured he would be the one to have to clean it up. Thankfully it wasn't done with paint-but chalks- so a little water should do the trick.

It was like a little make-shift city. There was a baby ward so the little ones could cry without disturbing the masses and there were some very old folks there as well who needed to be carted around by wheelchair, and everyone in between. Mostly black and hispanic.

These folks couldn't just stay in hotels forever and once they realized New Orleans wasn't opening back up, they sought out the shelters. Bus-loads of displaced folks were brought in to another shelter that FEMA set up across town. A few of the men even headed out to the employment office and got temp jobs while they were in the Shreveport area. To help pay the bills while they were away.

I sat around with a couple of volunteers guarding the baby diapers from about 3 to 4:30 with a 50 year old woman and a 20 year old male student. We talked about the strangest things seeing as how we didn't know each other. We were kind of punch drunk at that point, so it was good conversation to keep us awake.

Later, I visited a lady that was handing out toothbrushes and soap and clean underwear as the adults started waking up and wanting to shower. So I pitched in to help. A lady walked up and said she needed a pair of underwear. I asked her what size and was scolded by a Red Cross lady, "Don't ever ask a woman that!". But the lady gives her size and says, "I don't really care about that right now." And smiled. I got her what she requested. I asked everytime for the next half hour or so that I was there and I think her response summed it up for everybody. Privacy is only something that is important when your creature comforts are in order, I suppose.

The kids were shipped off to school around 6:45 this morning, which I thought was pretty cool. That gave them a chance to do something besides hang out at the gymansium.

The next shift of volunteers arrived on schedule at 0800 and I left for home to get some sleep of my own. A new found appreciation for a good clean bed and dry walls and roof around me. I'm glad I got to help them out, even if just to make them feel a bit more comfortable and welcome. Nobody deserves what they got.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:34 PM   #840
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I got us 2 furnished apartments in Shreveport (2 - 2 bedroom fully furnished apartments.)

Whereabouts?
Old 09-01-2005, 01:36 PM   #841
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
I worked the graveyard shift at the LSU-Shreveport shelter last night. They were housing 800 folks on Tue and last night it was around 1,000. It's still going up.

The Red Cross has a great set-up and the folks that made it this far north are pretty up-beat with all things considered. There was enough clothes and food and toiletries and medical supplies to take care of probably another 500 people on site. The donations from the local community were very important to its success.

The gymnasium was converted into a sleeping all and it was wall to wall cots. The hallways were lined with air mattresses and cots. Thankfully the air conditioning was in good order.

On the negative side, there was one fight that started when somebody was slamming a door and disturbing everybody at 2 in the morning. That brought in the cops, but amazingly the local Shreveport cops that showed up didn't want to arrest the guy. They took the instigator to another part of the building and the on-site cops and security made sure he cooled out.

A local pizza shop brought pizza's at 2:30 in the morning. Mostly just volunteers were still awake at that point, and cops. The cops were also the only ones awake when the donuts arrived. Amazing how that works, eh?

By daybreak, I noticed the outside of the building was covered in graffiti. I mean, every square inch as high as 7 feet was covered. That pissed off some janitor who was cursing up a storm since he figured he would be the one to have to clean it up. Thankfully it wasn't done with paint-but chalks- so a little water should do the trick.

It was like a little make-shift city. There was a baby ward so the little ones could cry without disturbing the masses and there were some very old folks there as well who needed to be carted around by wheelchair, and everyone in between. Mostly black and hispanic.

These folks couldn't just stay in hotels forever and once they realized New Orleans wasn't opening back up, they sought out the shelters. Bus-loads of displaced folks were brought in to another shelter that FEMA set up across town. A few of the men even headed out to the employment office and got temp jobs while they were in the Shreveport area. To help pay the bills while they were away.

I sat around with a couple of volunteers guarding the baby diapers from about 3 to 4:30 with a 50 year old woman and a 20 year old male student. We talked about the strangest things seeing as how we didn't know each other. We were kind of punch drunk at that point, so it was good conversation to keep us awake.

Later, I visited a lady that was handing out toothbrushes and soap and clean underwear as the adults started waking up and wanting to shower. So I pitched in to help. A lady walked up and said she needed a pair of underwear. I asked her what size and was scolded by a Red Cross lady, "Don't ever ask a woman that!". But the lady gives her size and says, "I don't really care about that right now." And smiled. I got her what she requested. I asked everytime for the next half hour or so that I was there and I think her response summed it up for everybody. Privacy is only something that is important when your creature comforts are in order, I suppose.

The kids were shipped off to school around 6:45 this morning, which I thought was pretty cool. That gave them a chance to do something besides hang out at the gymansium.

The next shift of volunteers arrived on schedule at 0800 and I left for home to get some sleep of my own. A new found appreciation for a good clean bed and dry walls and roof around me. I'm glad I got to help them out, even if just to make them feel a bit more comfortable and welcome. Nobody deserves what they got.

Awesome. Thanks for some uplifting news.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:36 PM   #842
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I typically don't plug the show here, but thought you guys might be interested in a couple of guests we're having on today:

3:30 Eastern- Frontlines Report on the aftermath of Katrina, Bo Boehringer, Press Sec. For the La. Dept. of Wild Life & Fisheries

5:40 What to expect with gas prices and supplies post Katrina, Dan Gilligan, Pres. of the Petroleum Marketers Assoc. of America

All times are Eastern. You can view the show at www.nranews.com or listen on Sirius Patriot 141.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:37 PM   #843
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Hillside Apartments
9250 Dean Road

Apparently it is in the Southwest side of Shreveport. I was told it was only 15-20 minutes from the medical school.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:40 PM   #844
JeeberD
General Manager

Sounds like Fats Domino tried to ride out the storm and is now missing...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9159941/

Quote:
NEW YORK - Fats Domino was missing Thursday, days after Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans, said his longtime agent, Al Embry.

Embry told The Associated Press that he hadn’t been able to contact Domino since talking to him Sunday evening by phone.

The 77-year-old R&B legend, whose real name is Antoine Domino, told Embry that he planned to stay at his New Orleans house with his wife, Rosemary, and their daughter.

“I hope somebody turns him up, but as of right now, we haven’t got anybody that knows where he’s at,” said Embry, who has worked with Domino for 28 years. “I would think he might be safe because somebody said he was on top of the balcony.”

Checquoline Davis, Domino’s niece, posted a message on Craigslist.com Thursday pleading for information. Davis wrote that Domino, his wife, their children and grandchildren “didn’t get out” of the second floor.

Domino, who has rarely appeared in public in recent years, has a home in the 9th ward, a low-lying area of the flooded city.

Getting information on possible missing persons has been nearly impossible as phone lines for hospitals and police haven’t been working.

Domino has sold more than 110 million records in his long career, including the legendary singles “Blueberry Hill” and “Ain’t That a Shame.”

His 1950 recording of “The Fat Man” is sometimes called the first real rock ’n’ roll record. He was among the first honorees to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Old 09-01-2005, 01:40 PM   #845
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch

Damn good post! That's very cool you helped out and it was nice to read a positive side of the situation. I must say I am actually amazed at how many cities are actually willing to participate in helping out the people in that city.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:43 PM   #846
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Too long to quote, but great post, Dutch

SI

Old 09-01-2005, 01:50 PM   #847
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

From CNN

Quote:
-- New Orleans hospital halts patient evacuations after coming under sniper
fire, a doctor who witnessed the incident says.

Watch CNN or log on to http://CNN.com and watch FREE video.
More Americans watch CNN. More Americans trust CNN.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:51 PM   #848
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Dola,

If you are looking for info on loved ones, you may try this site.

http://www.scipionus.com/
Old 09-01-2005, 01:51 PM   #849
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Damn good post! That's very cool you helped out and it was nice to read a positive side of the situation. I must say I am actually amazed at how many cities are actually willing to participate in helping out the people in that city.

Me too.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:52 PM   #850
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Glad to read there's people like Dutch out there.
Closed Thread