Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-19-2006, 10:44 AM   #801
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde

I got the XBox version because on the XBox website, they specifically say on there that their plan is to eventually have *all* XB games be BC on the 360.

FYI, they have been saying that for a while now, and have very little EA Sports games BC.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:45 AM   #802
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Bill Cowher talk to Mike and Mike about the game this morning. EA must have paid a few dollars to get ESPN run that infomercial.
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:46 AM   #803
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwood_DK
Bill Cowher talk to Mike and Mike about the game this morning. EA must have paid a few dollars to get ESPN run that infomercial.

ESPN is part of the game.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:47 AM   #804
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Has anyone preordered from EA before?
Do they ship it early, so it arrives on the release day?
Or do they wait until release day to ship it?

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:00 AM   #805
CraigSca
Pro Starter

In the past I've seen that people that pre-order from the site directly are usually the last to receive it. YMMV.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:29 AM   #806
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
FYI, they have been saying that for a while now, and have very little EA Sports games BC.

Fair enough, but you'd think with this particular version they'd eventually make it BC since there's no 360 incarnation of it.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:46 AM   #807
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboJ
Sorry if this has been answered already... but how much of the coaches job can be deligated to assistants/handled by the CPU. I am interested in drafting, signing free agents, designing plays, and calling the plays in the game. Can I let the CPU handle all the other stuff (practices, motivational speeches, etc)?

You can sim through practices and therefore have the assistant coaches handle it, I'm 99% sure. Of course, they might not be as effective as you would be at running practice. As far as the motivational speeches, they are given during the game, and I think you have to do them or they don't get done.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:51 AM   #808
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

The guys at GameStop were stunned when I asked to preorder the PC version of this game. It was like they'd never heard of preordering a PC game before. Anyway, I don't know whether to expect it on Tuesday or Wednesday, but I'm looking forward to bringing the Broncos to glory! Ron Dayne will have his day!!!
Old 06-19-2006, 11:58 AM   #809
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Dola

About backwards compatibility, who's actually responsible for creating the BC software emulator for each game? Is it Microsoft or the game's developer?
Old 06-19-2006, 12:12 PM   #810
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Dola

About backwards compatibility, who's actually responsible for creating the BC software emulator for each game? Is it Microsoft or the game's developer?

My understanding is that Microsoft is and they have to have permission from the developer in order to do it.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:14 PM   #811
jbmagic
Pro Starter

My Best Buy ad that came out on Sundays shows this game will be in on Wednesday at 5:00PM.

Usually Fry's has a special on the first week of a game release.

And Best Buy usually has a sale on there EA sports release like a week or 2 after the game comes out.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:49 PM   #812
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 7 (4 members and 3 guests)
Passacaglia, bgrubby9191, JimboJ, Joe Stallings

Hey Joe....where you goin', with that gun in your hand?

Last edited by Passacaglia : 06-19-2006 at 12:51 PM.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:49 PM   #813
Terps
College Prospect

I'm disappointed that you can only play 5 minute quarters.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:15 PM   #814
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Is no one concern how the sim stats will be like?

Especially if you coach out the games and you want to compare your stats with the sim stats.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:28 PM   #815
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps

Has anyone confirmed that the quarters will be 5 minutes in the final version?
Old 06-19-2006, 03:05 PM   #816
KWhit
Coordinator

There is so much that concerns me about this game. I have very low expectations of it and I'm amazed that so many people are preordering it.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:34 PM   #817
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde
Fair enough, but you'd think with this particular version they'd eventually make it BC since there's no 360 incarnation of it.
Hmm, what about MVP College Baseball or Arena Football?
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:45 PM   #818
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
Me too, very disappointed. In fact, if this is true, it's a HUGE game-killer to me. I am still very interested in how this game plays out, but I won't pre-order anymore. I'll wait for some impressions from you guys, and then make my decision.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:51 PM   #819
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Gah! Worst interface ever
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:02 PM   #820
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Where has it been confirmed that you can only play 5 minute quarters? I've scoured websites and haven't seen that confirmed anywhere.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:07 PM   #821
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Where has it been confirmed that you can only play 5 minute quarters? I've scoured websites and haven't seen that confirmed anywhere.

I haven't been able to find it either.

I hope that one of you guys that have pre-ordered confirms this ASAP, so that I can go get it ASAP.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:09 PM   #822
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015
I haven't been able to find it either.

I hope that one of you guys that have pre-ordered confirms this ASAP, so that I can go get it ASAP.

I hope to be commenting on this issue tomorrow, assuming my copy arrives at the store ok. Since I'm on vacation, I'm planning on a marathon session with plenty of impressions tomorrow.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:15 PM   #823
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
Is no one concern how the sim stats will be like?

Especially if you coach out the games and you want to compare your stats with the sim stats.

I think I'm more concerned with the AI.

No, seriously. It sounds like running the practices yourself is the best idea to get the most out of your players, but I see it as something akin to time management in TCY -- once you figure it out, it's just a routine exercise. Seems to me like as players, we'll probably be able to 'ace' it after a while, while the AI won't, because of 'realism.' So our options will be to A) have the coaches handle it, not get as much as possible out of our team, but not gain an edge on the computer AI, or B) Do it ourselves and get a leg up on the AI for doing the best we can.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:26 PM   #824
Kuroth
n00b

OMG Someone has just played it..

This does not sound good..

Go here

http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread....79843&tstart=0
Kuroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:43 PM   #825
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroth

yeahhh...that's making me go "whoa i'm waiting until i can see if the 5 minute quarters work or there's a patch/mod"

too bad EA, almost had me there
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:50 PM   #826
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Jeebus we are a bunch of whiny biatches. First we have a 100 page thread about a football game that's too customizable, and now we are slamming another game for not being customizable enough.

That being said, I haven't been inspired to write a parody song about NFL Head Coach. (yet )
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:58 PM   #827
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Wow. Completely cheezy.
how do you know?

Old 06-19-2006, 05:01 PM   #828
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo
Gah! Worst interface ever

Someone says that of every single game that has ever been released.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:05 PM   #829
Riggins44
High School JV

Quote:

I think expectations are WAY too high. Madden is not realistic statistically and this game is based on the Madden engine. All we can realistically hope for is a fun game that rewards you for your football savy... or something.
Riggins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:10 PM   #830
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
There is so much that concerns me about this game. I have very low expectations of it and I'm amazed that so many people are preordering it.

I am disappointed in myself too,
It was a moment of weakness.

I read a few pages back,that, there will be no draft busts.
Right there it tells me this game is not meant for us but the madden crowd.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:27 PM   #831
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

I only read the first page of that thread (I think it's at 10 pages as of when I'm reading it), so maybe someone brought this up later...but that person's complaint is that you can kill a 5 minute quarter in 7 running plays. My question is...how is that different than Madden? Why is that an issue now?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:34 PM   #832
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
I only read the first page of that thread (I think it's at 10 pages as of when I'm reading it), so maybe someone brought this up later...but that person's complaint is that you can kill a 5 minute quarter in 7 running plays. My question is...how is that different than Madden? Why is that an issue now?

I think this game is supposed to appeal to those who want realism more.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:36 PM   #833
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

In Madden you can change the quarter length to compensate for play style. Five minute quarters are a big warning bell for me.

For starters, it butchers the 2 minute drill. (I made this point above) Beyond that, it's going to be really tough to get the amount of plays correct. And if the computer coaches aren't set to identify the changes, we are going to see them start to use their timeouts in a close game at the BEGINNING of the fourth quarter.

Why they couldn't have had 15 minutes with an accelerated clock or have made it an option is insanity.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:37 PM   #834
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Lovely. They just told me that since I bought it from the EA store, I can't use the EA downloader.

Which makes NO fucking sense what so ever when you think about it.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:52 PM   #835
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
I think this game is supposed to appeal to those who want realism more.
Nay, this game is supposed to appeal to buyers, whoever it may be.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:54 PM   #836
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
In Madden you can change the quarter length to compensate for play style. Five minute quarters are a big warning bell for me.

For starters, it butchers the 2 minute drill. (I made this point above) Beyond that, it's going to be really tough to get the amount of plays correct. And if the computer coaches aren't set to identify the changes, we are going to see them start to use their timeouts in a close game at the BEGINNING of the fourth quarter.

Why they couldn't have had 15 minutes with an accelerated clock or have made it an option is insanity.

I guess it just depends on how you play. I've always played Madden on 5 min quarters and never had issues with getting off enough plays to be realistic. Of course, I don't wind the clock down, and don't spend a large portion of the clock picking the play since usually I'll know exactly what I want to run. But I understand the concern of others.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:50 PM   #837
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:

It HAS been an issue in Madden and one only partially solved by accel clock.

It drives me crazy that NONE of the game developers can get this straight - make a 15 minute game with accel clock that averages the # of plays that is averaged in the NFL - What is so fucking hard to understand about that???? allow the 10 year old A.D.D. joystick jockeys who only care about TD dances to reduce the time because they are incapable of concentration on one thing for that long, but for the love of god at least have the option to play a realistic amount of plays in there.

(anger and frustration directed at game designers, not the quoted post or anyone else)
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:55 PM   #838
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
Nay, this game is supposed to appeal to buyers, whoever it may be.

that is absurd - every product has a target market. Makers of organic tofu cubes don't spend a lot of time advertising on NASCAR.

This game was made for the target market of people who want a realistic NFL sim - if they try to make this Madden with the added feature that you can't control the players this will be a one trick pony.

The average Madden Joystick Jockey doesn't even understand why this game is being read (I have read their posts on other forums) this game MUST appeal and appease the type of people that buy FOF and OOTP and the like or it will not make it.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:03 PM   #839
Galaril
Pro Starter

Wow, WTF 5 minute quarters?! Well, that just solved my problem of whether to buy this EA "poser" or the real deal FM 2006. FM it is.

Last edited by Galaril : 06-19-2006 at 09:13 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:04 PM   #840
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
Wow, WTF 5 minute quarters?! Well, that just solved my prblem of whether to buy this EA "poser" or the real deal FM 2006. FM it is.

i feel like this has to be a huge deal-breaker. personally i know i could spend almost the whole 30 second clock talking to players, selecting a play, etc.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:06 PM   #841
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Well, that is very disappointing about the 5 minute quarters. Hopefully, it can be modded to make the time of possession more realistic. I'm still (probably foolishly) looking forward to picking this up tomorrow.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:09 PM   #842
jbmagic
Pro Starter

I wonder how many minutes per quarter the sim games going to be?
Old 06-19-2006, 07:11 PM   #843
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, that is very disappointing about the 5 minute quarters. Hopefully, it can be modded to make the time of possession more realistic. I'm still (probably foolishly) looking forward to picking this up tomorrow.

i'll be holding off to see if the quarter length can be successfully modded or if (for some reason) this isn't as much of a deal breaker for me as it seems to be from initial reports.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:13 PM   #844
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
i'll be holding off to see if the quarter length can be successfully modded or if (for some reason) this isn't as much of a deal breaker for me as it seems to be from initial reports.

I'll be posting stats of my first few games. I'm hoping the guy from Maddennation is right, and that I can still get off a decent number of plays while talking to my guys..

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-19-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:15 PM   #845
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
I'll be posting stats of my first few games. I'm hoping the guy from Maddennation is right, and that I can still get off a decent number of plays while talking to my guys..

Right now Wal-mart is touting a release of the 22nd, I stopped by a rhino to see if they had it, and they are saying the 23rd, I hope the download version is out before then.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:16 PM   #846
SegRat
High School Varsity

Another new video up on gametrailers.com.
At the end of the video they show the number 1 coach of all time.

Don Schula
Old 06-19-2006, 07:19 PM   #847
jbmagic
Pro Starter

I think some of you guys are too anxious for the game. Its hard to back down now after reading about it for so long. Its human nature to feel like that.

Its probably best to wait for first game impressions before buying the game.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:38 PM   #848
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat
Another new video up on gametrailers.com.
At the end of the video they show the number 1 coach of all time.

Don Schula

Man, Don Shula was robbed!
how do you know?

Old 06-19-2006, 09:48 PM   #849
jbmagic
Pro Starter

First game Impressions by Madden Nation

http://maddennation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58191
Old 06-19-2006, 10:22 PM   #850
jbmagic