Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #801
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Don Banks on si.com noted, relating to this, that Washington's only pick in the first four rounds is #6 overall, so rationally they'd be looking to deal that for more picks on day one.

I laughed.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 12:44 PM   #802
Logan
Head Coach

49ers have their 4th round pick. I think a return of that, plus the Niners' 3rd round comp pick, and a swap of the teams' firsts works according to the value chart used by 31 of 32 NFL teams.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 12:46 PM   #803
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

No way the Redskins accept that. A more realistic trade would be Bryant Young and the #11 for the #6 and next year's 2nd rounder.

Last edited by JPhillips : 03-27-2007 at 12:53 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 12:47 PM   #804
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
the value chart used by 31 of 32 NFL teams.

Nice.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 12:49 PM   #805
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
No way the Redskins accept that. I more realistic trade would be Bryant Young and the #11 for the #6 and next year's 2nd rounder.

Maybe the #6 and next year's first rounder in exchange for the #11 and the right to sign Ronnie Lott if he decides to come out of retirement.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:46 PM   #806
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
49ers have their 4th round pick. I think a return of that, plus the Niners' 3rd round comp pick, and a swap of the teams' firsts works according to the value chart used by 31 of 32 NFL teams.

Can't trade comp picks.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:17 PM   #807
Logan
Head Coach

You're right...I read the article wrong. It was the Niners' real 3rd rounder that they'd be willing to deal because of the addition of the comp pick.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:20 PM   #808
Brillig
College Prospect

Frank Gore just signed a big 4-year extension with the Niners, clearing the way for his upcoming injury...
Brillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:41 AM   #809
Bad-example
College Starter

Unofficial numbers for Gore's new contract:

2007: $450k Base Salary, $1,300,000m SB = $1.7m Salary
2008: $2.5m Base, $1.3m SB, $4.165m Option Bonus = $7.965m Salary
2009: $2.5m Base, $1.3m SB, $1.75m Roster Bonus = $5.5m Salary
2010: $2.85m Base, $1.3m SB, $1.85m RB = $6m Salary
2011: $2.9m Base, $1.3m SB, $2m RB = $6.2m Salary
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:20 AM   #810
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

The Bears have turned down the Redskins for now, claiming they don't want to draft as high as #6.

Translation: "How much more do you think we can get from these guys?"
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:17 AM   #811
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Unofficial numbers for Gore's new contract:

2007: $450k Base Salary, $1,300,000m SB = $1.7m Salary
2008: $2.5m Base, $1.3m SB, $4.165m Option Bonus = $7.965m Salary
2009: $2.5m Base, $1.3m SB, $1.75m Roster Bonus = $5.5m Salary
2010: $2.85m Base, $1.3m SB, $1.85m RB = $6m Salary
2011: $2.9m Base, $1.3m SB, $2m RB = $6.2m Salary

I guess all it takes is one good year to get a fat deal when your agent is Rosenfuck. Niners really should have let him play this year out, and dealt with him next season...it's not like they got him at any kind of a discount. Besides, if he has another awesome year this year rosenfuck is going to want the contract redone.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:02 AM   #812
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Alternatively, let's say he doesn't sign a new contract and has a lights-out year to top his already very good last year. I'd assume he'd be asking for even more. Given his upside, the 49ers might think they're getting a good deal here.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:13 AM   #813
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Alternatively, let's say he doesn't sign a new contract and has a lights-out year to top his already very good last year. I'd assume he'd be asking for even more. Given his upside, the 49ers might think they're getting a good deal here.

Agreed. While I wish it was possible for them to wait, barring injury there was no way he wouldn't have gotten at least a slight increase in the deal even if he didn't have such a big year. I think they wanted to get this done now so they could start paying more of the costs now and in 2008 when they know they have the cap space.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:33 AM   #814
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's more a philosophical stance with me, i guess. You just signed the guy 2 years ago, and gave him a fair signing bonus for being a 3rd round pick. I understand that maybe you get him at a bit of a discount this year by doing it, but he still will make about 7 million a year for the last 4 years of that deal. Once you start redoing contracts, it spreads to other players on the team and you get the whole "overperfoming my current deal" thing spreading. Then again, the deal is pretty well structured fairly if he's a top RB, by the end of the deal he'll maybe be at that point where you don't want to put any more money into him since he won't have so much tread on his tires left.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:56 AM   #815
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
The Bears have turned down the Redskins for now, claiming they don't want to draft as high as #6.

But you run the risk that he'll trade the pick to someone else first since he has the attention span of a 3 year old.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:36 PM   #816
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Once Snyder decides to land a guy he never gives up. It's a no brainer to pull a "walk away" on Snyder.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:17 PM   #817
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
It's more a philosophical stance with me, i guess. You just signed the guy 2 years ago, and gave him a fair signing bonus for being a 3rd round pick. I understand that maybe you get him at a bit of a discount this year by doing it, but he still will make about 7 million a year for the last 4 years of that deal. Once you start redoing contracts, it spreads to other players on the team and you get the whole "overperfoming my current deal" thing spreading. Then again, the deal is pretty well structured fairly if he's a top RB, by the end of the deal he'll maybe be at that point where you don't want to put any more money into him since he won't have so much tread on his tires left.

I don't disagree at all with your reasoning, and I wouldn't have a problem if my team chose to use that same line of thinking. As for the spreading of other players...I think that is something you have to worry about on some teams, and it's not as big a deal on others. Belichick would surely tell the player to go away if he didn't think he was worth it, and I'm sure others would do the same. Nolan is one of those guys. He's shown that he has no intention of putting up with the bullshit (cutting Bryant with a glaring need at WR is an example), so if the situation came up where a guy is saying "Look how well I performed compared to what I'm being paid," I feel like he'd say, "Did you lead the league in rushing or did you just catch 40 balls as opposed to 20?" and then tell him to shut up, or be cut.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:22 PM   #818
rkmsuf
Head Coach

The problem with a deal like this for Gore is if you are the 49ers you better feel darn sure this guy is self motivated.

Now that he cashes in is he going to run with the same reckless abandon that has made him this money?

He might....but he might not. He's "made it". I was always of the feeling that you want hungry guys. Who knows, maybe Gore will still bring it.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:48 PM   #819
st.cronin
General Manager

The problem with a deal like that for a running back is that virtually all non-HOF running backs, after their second or third year in the league, just get worse and worse. I think he has less than a 10% chance of being as good this year as he was last year.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:27 PM   #820
Izulde
Head Coach

Carr to Miami? That'd be intriguing.

I really still think Carr could turn out to be a good QB once he gets a decent line in front of him.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:46 AM   #821
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Looks like Carr will also visit the Seahawks next week. He'd take the number 2 spot behind Matt, and they would move Seneca Wallace to WR.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:48 AM   #822
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow5 View Post
Looks like Carr will also visit the Seahawks next week. He'd take the number 2 spot behind Matt, and they would move Seneca Wallace to WR.

It always makes me feel funny when I hear or read someone refer to their home team starting QB by their first name.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:04 AM   #823
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow5 View Post

I'd put money on Wallace seeing more special teams time. Even with the likely trade of Jackson on draft day, that still leaves the Seahawks with Branch, Hackett, Engram, Burleson and Obomanu at wideout.

Will he see time in some packages, likely, but I'd imagine that they'll try and get Burleson up to speed and much more productive at wideout (as this could be Engram's last season) which might result in him seeing less time on returns.

Either way, I'd love to see if happen if it doesn't affect the money that should be going towards a veteran guard.

Last edited by Travis : 03-29-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:38 AM   #824
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
It always makes me feel funny when I hear or read someone refer to their home team starting QB by their first name.

Yeah, and it just doesn't work with someone named Matt.

JaMarcus, yes. Matt, no.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:50 AM   #825
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, and it just doesn't work with someone named Matt.

JaMarcus, yes. Matt, no.

how come david wasn't in town to visit the seahawks. hmmm, hmmmmmm.......
Old 03-29-2007, 10:59 AM   #826
stevew
Hall Of Famer

very Brent Woody Musburger esque
Old 03-29-2007, 11:42 AM   #827
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Quote:

Perhaps it's my man-crush on Matt?

I didn't even realize I had done it until you pointed it out. The shame, the SHAME!!!!
Old 03-29-2007, 02:25 PM   #829
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
See Barber, Tiki and Dunn, Warrick.

And Holmes, Priest.. Jones, Thomas.. I'm sure there are plenty more I can't grab right off the top of my head, but who is to say Gore isn't an HOF RB? He has looked this good since day one, just hasn't gotten the carries until last season.

For some reason he was stuck behind the most constantly overrated RB ever, Kevan Barlow.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:59 PM   #830
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
The problem with a deal like this for Gore is if you are the 49ers you better feel darn sure this guy is self motivated.

Now that he cashes in is he going to run with the same reckless abandon that has made him this money?

He might....but he might not. He's "made it". I was always of the feeling that you want hungry guys. Who knows, maybe Gore will still bring it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the motivation of a player who's had to rebound from three serious ACL injuries in both knees. I think the fact that he's still playing football after all that rehab is a sign enough of his character.

I'm more worried about his durability. I'm secretly hoping the 49er's might take a 2nd round stab at Michael Bush. Unless they feel that RB Michael Robinson (former QB for Penn State) is the real deal.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:54 PM   #831
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Last I read, Bush may not even be ready for this year. I wouldn't draft him on the first day, the rod in his leg wasn't healing properly and he had to have another operation.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:27 AM   #832
Dunleavy
High School JV

1. Oakland…QB Jamarcus Russell…I see a lot of similarities between Russell and a young Dante Culpepper (for better or worse). There are concerns (most recently about his weight) but I rate him just highly enough to be worthy of the #1 overall pick and the franchise tag that comes along with it

2. Arizona (Trade up from Detroit)…OT Joe Thomas…The need for a LT is so great, and Thomas is so solid this pick is well worth giving up a 2nd

3. Cleveland…RB Adrian Peterson…I know they signed Jamal Lewis but that was only a one year deal, plus Lewis is done anyway

4. Tampa Bay…WR Calvin Johnson…He’s the best player in the draft for me

5. Miami (Trade up from Detroit (from Arizona))… QB Brady Quinn…Personally I don’t care for him, he’s got Joey Harrington written all over him. Going to say it again Quinn is going to be just an average QB but for arguments sake I have Miami with a new head coach needing a QB trading up and getting him which is fine by Detroit who avoids having to play him twice a year (Minnesota) and picks up another second (Miami has an extra)

6. Atlanta (Trade up from Chicago (from Washington))…S LaRon Landry…Few things going on here, Washington gets Briggs from Chicago, the Bears being cheap is once again the reason why they trade again, and Atlanta makes sure they get their man at the cost of a 3rd but they still have the extra second

7. Minnesota…DE Gaines Adams…Minny has two teams trade in front of them to take away two legitimate options

8. Denver (Trade up from Chicago (from Atlanta)…DE Jamaal Anderson…The final piece in the Broncos puzzle? Glaring need for a team not afraid to trade up finding a partner in a team not afraid to trade down. I’ve got Denver giving up their extra third and next years number one in this deal

9. Detroit (Trade down from Miami)…LB Patrick Wills…Passed on Quinn twice trading down both times ending up with two extra seconds and big time player for the defense

10. Houston…OT Levi Brown…I still wanna talk about last years draft, what the hell Casserily passes on Bush and Young and then resigns within a week. What the hell was he doing?

11. San Fran…DT Alan Branch…Okoye is a much better prospect but Branch is prefect for the new 3-4 NT the 9ers have been looking for

12. Buffalo…CB Leon Hall…I’m still not sure why you let a probowl corner walk. I’ve got Hall going here but personally he is way overrated, he has no size and no speed

13. St. Louis…DT Amobi Okoye…Only 19 and he’s a hell of a prospect
14. Carolina…TE Greg Olsen…
15. Pittsburgh…DE Jarvis Moss…
16. Green Bay…RB Marshawn Lynch…If packers worried about character concerns here why not offer the pick for Chargers Michael Turner
17. Jacksonville…DE Adam Carriker…
18. Cincinnati…CB Darrelle Revis
19. Tennessee…WR Tedd Ginn jr…could easily be Bowe here
20. NY Gaints…LB Paul Posluszny…

I’m alittle tired so I’ll stop here. I’ve got Detroit and Cleveland passing on Quinn kicking off a flurry of trades. Arizona really should give up a second to get Thomas. By the way the toughest pick to project was Cleveland, took me a while on Peterson Quinn debate and it got me thinking how different the draft would be if say Quinn went to Cleveland at 3, who would take Peterson? Maybe minny maybe ATL but I think he would fall to 10with Houston unless someone traded up to get him but I’m not sure who that would be, buffalo certainly should but with the RB are expendable trend he may fall. This draft is FAR more up for grabs then years past, the top three picks are ever changing…ok what do you guys think
Dunleavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:22 AM   #833
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Last I read, Bush may not even be ready for this year. I wouldn't draft him on the first day, the rod in his leg wasn't healing properly and he had to have another operation.

He would've been a top-ten pick when healthy. He'd be worth the future investment.

Also, it's a broken tibia with minimal ligament damage. Even if the injury didn't heal right the first time, it's not the kind of injury that could limit his effectiveness when he comes back (like a torn ACL would)
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:49 AM   #834
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunleavy View Post
1. Oakland…QB Jamarcus Russell…I see a lot of similarities between Russell and a young Dante Culpepper (for better or worse). There are concerns (most recently about his weight) but I rate him just highly enough to be worthy of the #1 overall pick and the franchise tag that comes along with it

2. Arizona (Trade up from Detroit)…OT Joe Thomas…The need for a LT is so great, and Thomas is so solid this pick is well worth giving up a 2nd

3. Cleveland…RB Adrian Peterson…I know they signed Jamal Lewis but that was only a one year deal, plus Lewis is done anyway

5. Miami (Trade up from Detroit (from Arizona))… QB Brady Quinn…Personally I don’t care for him, he’s got Joey Harrington written all over him. Going to say it again Quinn is going to be just an average QB but for arguments sake I have Miami with a new head coach needing a QB trading up and getting him which is fine by Detroit who avoids having to play him twice a year (Minnesota) and picks up another second (Miami has an extra)

6. Atlanta (Trade up from Chicago (from Washington))…S LaRon Landry…Few things going on here, Washington gets Briggs from Chicago, the Bears being cheap is once again the reason why they trade again, and Atlanta makes sure they get their man at the cost of a 3rd but they still have the extra second

7. Minnesota…DE Gaines Adams…Minny has two teams trade in front of them to take away two legitimate options

8. Denver (Trade up from Chicago (from Atlanta)…DE Jamaal Anderson…The final piece in the Broncos puzzle? Glaring need for a team not afraid to trade up finding a partner in a team not afraid to trade down. I’ve got Denver giving up their extra third and next years number one in this deal

9. Detroit (Trade down from Miami)…LB Patrick Wills…Passed on Quinn twice trading down both times ending up with two extra seconds and big time player for the defense

10. Houston…OT Levi Brown…I still wanna talk about last years draft, what the hell Casserily passes on Bush and Young and then resigns within a week. What the hell was he doing?

11. San Fran…DT Alan Branch…Okoye is a much better prospect but Branch is prefect for the new 3-4 NT the 9ers have been looking for

12. Buffalo…CB Leon Hall…I’m still not sure why you let a probowl corner walk. I’ve got Hall going here but personally he is way overrated, he has no size and no speed

16. Green Bay…RB Marshawn Lynch…If packers worried about character concerns here why not offer the pick for Chargers Michael Turner

I’m alittle tired so I’ll stop here. I’ve got Detroit and Cleveland passing on Quinn kicking off a flurry of trades. Arizona really should give up a second to get Thomas. By the way the toughest pick to project was Cleveland, took me a while on Peterson Quinn debate and it got me thinking how different the draft would be if say Quinn went to Cleveland at 3, who would take Peterson? Maybe minny maybe ATL but I think he would fall to 10with Houston unless someone traded up to get him but I’m not sure who that would be, buffalo certainly should but with the RB are expendable trend he may fall. This draft is FAR more up for grabs then years past, the top three picks are ever changing…ok what do you guys think

Good analysis. But if Calvin Johnson is as hot as everyone says he is, I don't see him falling past #2. I certainly don't see a team trading into #2 to get anyone but Johnson. I think that Arizona might be able to stay where there are and get Joe Thomas (if the two QBs and Peterson and Johnson go in front of him).
Old 03-30-2007, 07:56 AM   #835
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
He would've been a top-ten pick when healthy. He'd be worth the future investment.

Also, it's a broken tibia with minimal ligament damage. Even if the injury didn't heal right the first time, it's not the kind of injury that could limit his effectiveness when he comes back (like a torn ACL would)

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the Steelers take him, but it would have to be the 4th round. A "redshirt" type of guy is rarely worth it on day one. Basically the Niners could go with someone like Meachem or Bowe(sp? WR from LSU) in the second and get Alex Smith a WR weapon which might actually put them in the playoffs this year.

Last edited by stevew : 03-30-2007 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:17 AM   #836
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:

The Lions getting those extra seconds from two deals is a pipe dream as a Lions fan but believe me it is possible I just can't see it happening.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:04 PM   #837
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:

Wow, way overrated and no speed and size? Hall is 5'11" and 193 lbs, not small for a CB. He ran the third fastest 40 time of the DBs at 4.39, had the fastest 20 yard shuttle, along with a 37 1/2" vertical and a 10'5" broadjump. Hall will be a good pro.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:41 PM   #838
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

You have to deal with the fact that the two best recievers he faced torched him repeatedly.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:05 PM   #839
Dunleavy
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1033 View Post
Wow, way overrated and no speed and size? Hall is 5'11" and 193 lbs, not small for a CB. He ran the third fastest 40 time of the DBs at 4.39, had the fastest 20 yard shuttle, along with a 37 1/2" vertical and a 10'5" broadjump. Hall will be a good pro.

i will disagree
Dunleavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:10 PM   #840
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

As someone who watched Hall play many games I must say that he will be a good #2 corner, but no take-half-the field-away shut-down guy. He has talent, but seems to lose concentration at the exact wrong times. When he should be good, is is excellent. When you need him to be great, you'll be disappointed...
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:48 PM   #841
Travis
Pro Rookie

So here's a question for the masses. Supposedly New Orleans and San Fransisco have been the two teams reported as having interest in Darrell Jackson. I'm assuming he'll be traded on draft day, likely for a second rounder, at worst a third. Can't see Seattle packaging anything to get back in the first, but anybody figure any teams will step up last minute to make a play for a sometimes injured #1 wideout?

I'm still deciding on whether or not the Seahawks wasted their first this year in bringing over Branch as I think Jackson is nearly an elite receiver in the NFL when healthy, but the resigning of Engram and the impending extension for Hackett can only mean that Jackson will be moved (and I can't imagine it'll be to a divisional foe like the Niners).
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:53 AM   #842
Logan
Head Coach

I'm not going to speak for any other team, but there's no way the Niners give up a 2nd for Jackson. I don't think they'll give up 3(12) either. Maybe 4(5). Too inconsistent and too injury-prone. And if I'm the Seahawks, I'm not giving him up to SF for a 4th.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:22 PM   #843
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
So here's a question for the masses. Supposedly New Orleans and San Fransisco have been the two teams reported as having interest in Darrell Jackson. I'm assuming he'll be traded on draft day, likely for a second rounder, at worst a third. Can't see Seattle packaging anything to get back in the first, but anybody figure any teams will step up last minute to make a play for a sometimes injured #1 wideout?

I'm still deciding on whether or not the Seahawks wasted their first this year in bringing over Branch as I think Jackson is nearly an elite receiver in the NFL when healthy, but the resigning of Engram and the impending extension for Hackett can only mean that Jackson will be moved (and I can't imagine it'll be to a divisional foe like the Niners).

With the depth of this draft WR wise, no chance.

A team is more likely to take a feeler on Dwayne Bowe in the first then DJ.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:31 PM   #844
AlexB
Pro Starter

Never heard of this before: http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/DEN/10100410

Miami's trade of Wilkinson to Denver voided

NFL.com wire reports

DENVER (March 31, 2007) -- Dan Wilkinson failed to report to the Denver Broncos, so the trade with the Miami Dolphins was declared void.

The Broncos sent a sixth-round pick to the Dolphins on March 2 for the 14-year veteran defensive tackle. They extended an earlier deadline for the defensive lineman to report but when he failed to show up for his physical, the deal was voided.

The Broncos retained their rights to the sixth-round pick in this year's draft and the Dolphins retained the rights to Wilkinson.

Wilkinson was selected by Cincinnati with the first overall selection in the 1994 draft out of Ohio State. He has played for the Bengals (1994-97), Washington (1998-2002), Detroit (2003-05) and Miami.

Wilkinson, who has 54½ sacks in his career, has started all 16 regular-season games eight times in his career, including three of the past four seasons. He joined the Dolphins after starting every game in three seasons with the Lions.

He was strictly a backup for the Dolphins last season, playing 10 games and posting 14 tackles, breaking up three passes and forcing a fumble.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:13 PM   #845
wade moore
lolzcat

I think the real news here is - Wilkinson is still in the NFL?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:31 AM   #847
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post

Ba-zing.

Quote:
Bears to Come With Briggs Counteroffer
Team Likely Seeks a Redskins Defender

By Howard Bryant
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, April 2, 2007; Page E03

The Washington Redskins' proposed trade for Chicago linebacker Lance Briggs will reach a secondary stage today when the Bears are expected to counter the Redskins' offer of the team's sixth overall pick in next month's draft in return for Chicago's 31st pick and Briggs.

During the week, Bears General Manager Jerry Angelo said he would use the weekend to consult with his staff and consider the Redskins' offer for the 26-year-old Briggs, a two-time Pro Bowl weak-side linebacker who has been in a contract dispute with the team since the Bears lost to Indianapolis in the Super Bowl. The dispute centers on Chicago's decision to name Briggs the team's franchise player, which allows it to pay him a one-year contract at $7.2 million. Briggs wants a long-term contract and has threatened to sit out for most of next season if the Bears don't trade him or work out an extension. On Saturday, Angelo said a long-term deal was unlikely, even in the event that Briggs plays in Chicago next season under the franchise tag.

Meantime, the Redskins emerged as the only outside bidder for Briggs at last week's owners' meetings in Phoenix, after a suggestion by Briggs's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, that the Redskins initiate a trade with Chicago.

Though Chicago does not have a ready replacement for Briggs, the deal appears to favor Chicago, according to sources who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of negotiations. However, according to league sources, the Bears want more.

Sources said the Bears will ask the Redskins for a player in addition to the sixth pick, which they likely would trade to stockpile more first-day draft picks. Sources say the Bears could ask for middle linebacker Lemar Marshall, who started the last two seasons but will be a backup with the arrival of London Fletcher. The Bears also might ask the Redskins to part with either linebacker Rocky McIntosh, for whom the Redskins gave up two draft picks to select in the second round of last year's draft, or defensive tackle Kedric Golston, the fifth-round pick who played his way into the starting lineup last year, replacing Joe Salave'a.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:13 AM   #848
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

ffs brigs isnt worth trading away the 6th pick alone, now those greedy cheap mofos want a starter in return?
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:18 AM   #849
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Snyder's going to pay whatever the Bears ask. With his terrible negotiating skills it's amazing that he's a billionaire.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:30 PM   #850
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Is he a billionaire? I think I read that his sale of his direct marketing company made about $300 million. Maybe he's increased that since then.

Anyway, I don't think it's Snyder's negotiating skills which suck (though they may). It's his fundamental understanding of the market value of players which gets him into trouble.