Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-03-2009, 11:03 PM   #801
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Gents...tomorrow is one of my favorite days of the year. I'll be live blogging the day, starting around 8am, at In The Bleachers. I could use all the help I could get with any tips or rumors so if any of you want to help please do, and if you have a site or anything for me to give you credit for the tip, please let me know that too.

I'll be checking frequently for a Justin Brown update. But I think you have my email address from one of the ITB contests, so if, you know, you wanna just send me the first notice that would be fine.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:10 PM   #802
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
That said, none of the three schools being chosen would surprise me. If it isn't LSU I hope it is Oklahoma!

He still goes to LSU. I think OU coaches have a good idea he is (and has been) a pretty big longshot. Hopes are higher, I'm hearing, for that Hawthorne kid who is committed to Illinois. OU definitely could use another receiver, but it looks like they're not going to take someone just to take someone. If they don't get one of those two, I don't think they'll take another.

Last edited by Cuckoo : 02-03-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:45 AM   #803
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I hope Noop has some sources on that. That would be a huge pickup.

edit - DeTox is right, he's not even visiting SC until 2 weeks after NSD. And I've never heard of a prospect committing without a visit. I'll believe this when I see a solid source.

In other news, USC appears not be an option for Burfict anymore. It's ASU or JC for him. I don't see any way he doesn't end up at JC - allegedly, his transcripts are nowhere near as good as originally reported/hoped.

So if he gets passing grades, he goes JC, right?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:24 AM   #804
mckerney
Coordinator

Michael Carter makes the signing day switch from West Virginia to Minnesota.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:28 AM   #805
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

WR Stephen Hill faxed his letter to Georgia Tech around 830am
Welcome to AJC! | ajc.com

Former Auburn commit DE Montez Robinson signs with UGA

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-04-2009 at 07:31 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:37 AM   #806
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

This one cracked me up...

I don't know whether to laugh at this or shake my head. But in an NY Times article Brian Butler who is the "advisor" for Bryce Brown stated, "he would explore the possibility of Brown’s skipping college and going to the Canadian Football League next season. He mentioned the idea of a team paying Brown $5 million a year for three years. But the salary cap for entire C.F.L. teams is $4.2 million Canadian. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/04/sp...d=3&ref=sports

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 02-04-2009 at 07:38 AM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:03 AM   #807
MJ4H
Coordinator

sak if you are interested here is a list of all LOIs received for Arkansas pretty much up to the minute:

2009 Signing Day

(the red Arkansas means signed)
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:16 AM   #808
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks MJ4H!
Old 02-04-2009, 08:19 AM   #809
Butter
Coordinator

Tahj Boyd signs with Clemson. The fans were already ready for Willy Korn to take over at QB for Harper... now, he won't get much slack even though he's barely played before the calls for Boyd start.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:22 AM   #810
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quirky little sidebar to the story of one of UGA's signees that's probably worth throwing out there for a couple of seconds.

Troup County (GA) LB Chris Burnette followed through as expected & signed his letter earlier this morning before taking a rare day off from school to attend a signing day party in Atlanta. Nothing unusual about that for most players but Burnette doesn't seem to miss too much school work, since he's a candidate for class valedictorian. Burnette has a 5.012 GPA and said he was told by Georgia coach Mark Richt that he was the first valedictorian candidate he ever signed.

In this case, I'm not kicking dirt on CMR or UGA about that (although Lord knows the jokes kind of write themselves ), I just thought that was an odd sort of stat that I really hadn't thought much about before.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:26 AM   #811
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
In this case, I'm not kicking dirt on CMR or UGA about that (although Lord knows the jokes kind of write themselves ), I just thought that was an odd sort of stat that I really hadn't thought much about before.

Even stranger is the 5.012 GPA. The GPA system is becoming a mess with the extra point for college credit classes. Isn't 4.0 good enough?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:28 AM   #812
Butter
Coordinator

How can you get a GPA higher than 5.0?
Old 02-04-2009, 08:32 AM   #813
MacroGuru
Coordinator

They must still be sleeping in Provo, Utah as I am waiting for the updates on BYU.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:34 AM   #814
MacroGuru
Coordinator

And they finally get the going...

Jordan Atkinson
Linebacker
6-3, 235
Martinez, Calif.
Diablo Valley JC

*Signed during the early signing period

Remington Peck
Tight End
6-5, 222
South Jordan, Utah
Bingham HS

ranked No. 4 in the state with 14 sacks, including a season-high 3 sacks vs. Northridge ... totaled 65 tackles as a defensive end, including a season-high 12 tackles against Jordan

He will more than likely move to DE as BYU is deep in TE's

Fono Vakalahi
Offensive Line
6-4, 320
Bryan, Texas
Bryan HS

A physically dominating presence who has played multiple positions on the offensive line ... moved from left tackle to center for his senior season ... rated No. 20 center prospect in the nation by Rivals.com ... also recruited by Baylor, Arizona State, Virginia Tech, Hawai’i and Texas A&M.

Terry Alletto
Offensive Lineman
6-4, 280
Parker, Colo.
Ponderosa HS

First-team All-State ... invited to participate in the Hawaiian Prep Classic all-star event featuring more than 100 of the nation’s best seniors ... rated No. 8 offensive center nationally and No. 5 Colorado prep prospect by Rivals.com ... can bench 300 pounds and squat 440 pounds ..

Craig Bills
Defensive Back
6-2, 202
Provo, Utah
Timpview HS

Deseret News 2008 Mr. Football recipient as Utah’s top player in 4A ... three-time first-team All-State selection ... 2008 All-Valley Football Team MVP ... three-year starter at safety for Timpview, helping the Thunderbirds complete back-to-back perfect seasons and 36 consecutive victories and three straight 4A state championships ... rated by Rivals.com as No. 10 safety in the nation, No. 2 hardest-hitting safety nationally and No. 3 overall prospect in Utah in 2008 ... leader of Thunderbird defense that held opponents to 12 points per game in 2008 ... had 43 solo tackles among 59 total tackles and four interceptions as a senior ... as a junior returned two of his three interceptions for touchdowns ... totaled six interceptions as a sophomore along with 10 pass deflections and 84 tackles ... defensive backs MVP of the 2008 NIKE Camp in Provo ...

Mitch Mathews
Wide Receiver
6-5, 195
Beaverton, Ore.
Southridge HS

Recorded 26 catches for 475 yards and seven touchdowns in only five games after returning from a broken leg early in his senior season ... was an All-Metro wide receiver with 42 receptions for 586 yards and 6 touchdowns as a junior ... also an excellent baseball player who represented Oregon on the Junior Olympic 16-Under Baseball Team ...

Tui Crichton
Offensive Line
6-4, 290
Provo, Utah
Timpview HS

Three-year starter who missed senior season due to torn labrum (shoulder) ... earned first-team All-State accolades as a junior ... great technician on offensive line who helped Timpview win back-to-back 4A state titles as a sophomore and junior ... helped Thunderbirds achieve undefeated season during junior year ... also recruited by Utah, Colorado, LSU, Arizona State and Hawai’i ... coached by Louis Wong.

Brad Wilcox
Offensive Line
6-7, 265
Edmond, Okla.
North HS

An athletic offensive lineman with great height and excellent mobility ... an outstanding pass protector with a huge wingspan ... athletic when pulling and trapping and quick off the ball ... team captain ... rated as No. 39 offensive tackle in the nation by ESPN.com ... team offensive player of the year ... first-team all-district ... all-state honorable mention ... also lettered in wrestling and lacrosse ... also recruited by Oregon State, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Washington, New Mexico, Boise State and Kansas State ... plans to serve an LDS mission before enrolling at BYU.

Ryan Mulitalo
Offensive Line
6-4, 290
West Valley City, Utah
Hunter HS

Experience playing on both the offensive and defensive lines ... played primarily on defense early in his prep career before concentrating more on playing offensive line ... first-team all- region ... helped anchor line at Hunter ... also recruited by Washington, Arizona State and Boise State ... coached by Dustin Pearce.

Anthony Heimuli
Running Back
5-11, 225
Orem, Utah
Mountain View HS

Earned second-team All-State honors and was a Daily Herald Elite 11 selection in 2008 ... rushed for 1,234 yards and 12 touchdowns while averaging 8.9 yards per carry ... added 120 yards and one touchdown on eight receptions ... a powerful runner who ran for more than 200 yards in three games and totaled six outings over 100 yards in 2008 ... contributed 40 tackles and six sacks on defense ... led Mountain View as a junior with 781 rushing yards and 11 touchdowns, averaging nine yards per carry.

Cody Hoffman
Wide Receiver
6-4, 200
Crescent City, Calif.
Del Norte HS

Receiver with excellent size ... caught 50 passes for more than 1,000 yards as a senior ... recorded seven 100-yard receiving games for Del Norte in 2008 ... named to the All-Humboldy-Del Norte Conference team three consecutive times ... caught nine passes for 229 yards and two touchdowns in a 31-28 win over rival Fortuna in October 2008 ...

Thomas Bryson
Defensive End
6-5, 230
Layton, Utah
Layton HS

Earned first-team All-State honors as a tight end and defensive end in 2008 ... named Region 1 MVP ... helped Layton win 5A Region 1 with a 6-1 record while earning a No. 6 ranking (MaxPreps) among all state classifications with a 9-3 overall record ... made a team-high 36 receptions for Region-best 544 yards (15.1 yards per reception) and four touchdowns, including a long catch of 59 yards ... also carried the ball four times for 53 yards (13.3 yards per carry) ... recorded a Region-high 13.5 sacks in 2008 to rank No. 5 in the state ... totaling 33 tackles as a defensive end ... also lettered in basketball, wrestling and soccer ... also recruited by Idaho, Washington State and Stanford ..

Peni Maka’afi
Running Back
5-10, 215
Layton, Utah
Northridge HS

Played running back and linebacker at Northridge High School ... a strong runner and good blocker and pass catcher out of the backfield ... caught 45-yard touchdown pass vs. Davis in 2008 ... ran for 890 yards and 13 touchdowns as a junior, averaging 8.6 yards per carry... also totaled more than 400 receiving yards as a junior ... recruited by Utah, Utah State, Oregon State, UCLA and Boise State ...

Trevor Bateman
Defensive Back
5-11, 185
Palm Desert, Calif.
Palm Desert HS

Helped Palm Desert to a 9-3 overall record in 2008 ... a savvy competitor with good athleticism and coveted foot-quickness at the corner position ... has a nose for the football and is dangerous in the open field after an interception with good speed, quickness and vision ... can jam and turn and run with faster receivers on vertical routes with good man technique ... runs 4.45 40, can bench 300 pounds and has 37-inch vertical ... also played running back and receiver ... recorded 25 catches for 320 yards and five touchdowns in 2007 ... racked up 70 tackles and four interceptions as a junior ... also recruited by Arizona and UNLV ...

Richard Wilson
Tight End
6-3, 222
Spanish Fork, Utah
Spanish Fork HS

First-team All-State tight end and Daily Herald Elite 11 selection in 2008 ... rated the No. 4 tight end prospect in the nation by ESPN.com ... runs good routes, has good hands and can catch the ball away from his frame ... had 43 catches for 845 yards and 11 touchdown receptions as a senior ... ran for 98 yards and two touchdowns ... recorded 30 tackles and three sacks ... had 46 catches for 700 yards and nine touchdowns as a junior ... named tight end MVP at BYU camp ... rated the No. 5 overall prospect in Utah by Rivals.com ... also lettered in basketball and track ... also recruited by Utah, Miami, Tennessee, UCLA and LSU.

Brett Thompson
Wide Receiver
6-3, 210
El Dorado Hills, Calif.
Oak Ridge HS

Standout receiver hails from the same high school as BYU’s all-time receiving leader Austin Collie ... dependable possession receiver who switched to running back during his senior season ... totaled 694 yards and 12 touchdowns, averaging 6.9 yards per carry in 2008 ... scored six touchdowns in one game ... recorded two runs of 70 or more yards ... made 26 receptions for 242 yards and three touchdowns, including a long gain of 66 yards ... as a junior, had 35 receptions for 570 yards and six touchdowns ... had 53 catches for 894 yards and 11 touchdowns to earn all-state honors as a sophomore ... also lettered in basketball and volleyball ... also recruited by California, Nebraska, Air Force, and UNLV.

Brian Logan
Defensive Back
5-9, 195
Fremont, Calif.
Foothill College

Two-year starter for Foothill College ... an excellent cover corner who is extremely versatile ... can play the run by shedding blocks and deliver punishing hits ... also contributed as a kick returner with good open field instincts ... runs the 40 in 4.4 seconds and has a 36-inch vertical leap ... recorded 39 tackles, three tackles for loss, one interception and six pass breakups in 2008 ... the only freshman and only corner back to earn all-conference defensive back honors in 2007 ... prepped at Washington High School in Fremont, Calif.

Kyle Van Noy
Linebacker
6-4, 209
Reno, Nev.
McQueen HS

First-team All-State ... Rated the No. 11 weakside linebacker in the nation by scout.com and the No. 4 overall prospect from the state of Nevada by Rivals.com ... playing linebacker and receiver, helped lead his team to a perfect 14-0 record and 4A state title in 2008 ... caught 35 passes for 731 yards and 18 touchdowns and rushed the ball 10 times for 121 yards ... defensively, had 79 tackles (55 solos), 10 tackles for loss, six forced fumbles, four fumble recoveries, 14 sacks and one interception for a score ... as a junior had 69 tackles, 24 tackles for loss, seven sacks, seven fumbles caused and two interceptions while totaling 805 yards receiving and 13 touchdowns on offense ... was an all-conference and all-area selection as a sophomore and was also an all-league performer in track (4x100, 4x200 and 4x400) ... also recruited by Arizona State, UCLA, Boise State, Cal and Colorado.

Adam Hine
Running Back
6-1, 175
Santa Clara, Utah
Snow Canyon HS

Earned first-team All-State honors in 2008 ... totaled 1314 yards on 224 carries in 2008, including a season-high 259 yards against Las Vegas HS ... recorded 13 rushing touchdowns ... as quarterback, passed for 486 yards, completing 49-of-120 attempts for two touchdowns ... rushed for 240 yards and four touchdowns against Hurricane as a junior ... named All-State honorable mention in 2007.

Lee Aguirre
Defensive Back
5-9, 200
El Monte, Calif.
Fullerton College

Helped lead Fullerton College to a 10-2 record during the 2008 season, including a 6-0 conference record ... led the team with 10 interceptions on the season, including two versus the College of the Canyons ... recorded 36 tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, 11 pass breakups and one blocked kick in 2008 ... named to the All-America first team defense by the California Community College Football Coaches Association ... earned Southern Conference Football Association defensive player of the week after helping win the Southern California championship ... intercepted seven passes and earned second team All-America honors in 2007 ... 17 total interceptions over his career at Fullerton set a new program record ... led the Eagles to the then Division VII semifinals and was named Mid Valley News Most Valuable Player as a quarterback at South El Monte HS in 2006.

Jray Galea’i
Defensive Back
6-0, 185
Laie, Hawaii
Kahuku HS

Versatile defensive back has experience playing both safety and corner back ... moved to corner as a senior and earned first-team All-State honors ... rated No. 4 overall prospect from state of Hawai’i by Rivals.com and the No. 23 safety in the nation by Scout.com ... a fierce hitter in the secondary ... received honorable mention all-state honors as a junior quarterback ... played his sophomore season at Timpview High School in Provo, Utah, as a member of the Thunderbirds’ 2006 4A state championship team ... two-sport athlete also plays on the Kahuku basketball team ... also recruited by Hawai’i ...

Last edited by MacroGuru : 02-04-2009 at 11:44 AM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:37 AM   #815
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Even stranger is the 5.012 GPA. The GPA system is becoming a mess with the extra point for college credit classes. Isn't 4.0 good enough?

I've seen that sort of thing so often in the past few years that I don't even bat an eye at it anymore. Incidentally, one of the lead stories this week in the AJC has been about grade inflation at high schools around the state but not the "our work isn't as hard as their work, so our grades are better" variety that I usually associate with that phrase. Instead, this concerns how many more students pass classes than pass the required End-Of-Course-Test (EOCT), as many as 6x more for Economics for example. And on the other end of things, there were a few schools that had students acing the EOCT's but grading so tough on course work that kids were in danger of losing their HOPE scholarship eligibility.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:52 AM   #816
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Disappointing news for Trojan fans, Alshon Jeffrey decommitted and announced for the imposter University of South Carolina. His mom wanted him to stay close to home and it sounds like she convinced him. He was reportedly telling the main recruiting reporter on the Southern Cal boards that he was a Trojan as late as yesterday. Great pickup for the Gamecocks, I think he is going to be a great big receiver.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:53 AM   #817
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Disappointing news for Trojan fans, Alshon Jeffrey decommitted and announced for the imposter University of South Carolina. His mom wanted him to stay close to home and it sounds like she convinced him. He was reportedly telling the main recruiting reporter on the Southern Cal boards that he was a Trojan as late as yesterday. Great pickup for the Gamecocks, I think he is going to be a great big receiver.

I want to see this today for T'eo but I know it won't happen...LOL
Old 02-04-2009, 08:55 AM   #818
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The SEC is apparently putting up officials on the conference website (at least I gather they're listing them as they become official)
www.secsports.com - SEC Football on 2009 National Signing Day
Old 02-04-2009, 08:56 AM   #819
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

If anyone wants to brave it at work...here is an online feed of ESPNU

Justin.tv - Rush's Channel: sports basketball football gaming madden ncaa nintendo sportscenter xbox
Old 02-04-2009, 08:57 AM   #820
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Michael Carter makes the signing day switch from West Virginia to Minnesota.

Nice pick up for the Gophers. I think Carter will be a very good one. Thankfully, from a WVU perspective, the secondary was the one spot where we could probably afford to lose somebody.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:59 AM   #821
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Reuben Randall is postponing apparently, and Janzen Jackson might be as well.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:59 AM   #822
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Another rumor: Bryce Brown was offered a contract by the CFL.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:04 AM   #823
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Here's the scoop on the 21 players Texas is set to sign today. All but one are from Texas, and quite a few graduated HS early and are already enrolled. Most place have this as a Top 5 class.

Garrett Gilbert QB 6-4, 195 Lake Travis
Is the son of former NFL quarterback Gale Gilbert, the Longhorns are getting one of the top QBs in the country. Beats opponents with precise timing and accuracy, maximizing his power through the use of his hips and core. Excels on sprintouts both right and left.

Chris Whaley RB 6-3, 233 Madisonville
The type of big back the Longhorns covet. Runs with quick feet, a deceptive stride and impressive balance and vision. Needs only to prove he can get his pads down and run with power inside the tackles consistently.

Greg Timmons WR 6-2, 198 Aldine Eisenhower
Every move is fluid and appears easy for the long-armed pass catcher. Is quick in and out of his breaks, sinking the hips, and catches the ball away from his body with strong hands. Has shown ability to break arm tackles.

Marquise Goodwin WR/CB 5-9, 170 Rowlett

One of the top pure athletes in Texas, but Goodwin's college sport may be track, not football. If he chooses to play football, he'll instantly become one of the fastest members of the Longhorns team.

Barrett Matthews TE 6-1, 218 Galena Park North Shore
Ferocious blocker and physical player who's fast enough to get down the field. Can play flex tight end, H-back, and will be seen on special teams. Rates as the best blocking tight end produced by North Shore - including several past I-A prospects.

Trey Graham TE 6-5, 235 Waco Midway
Known as a pass-catching tight end when he initially committed, Graham improved significantly as a blocker in his last season and gained about 20 pounds between his junior and senior seasons. Is quick off the line and excels in the short passing game.

Mason Walters OT 6-6, 290 Wolfforth Frenship
Top national prospect who's as physically imposing as one will see on the high school level. Has a perfectly proportioned frame, along with quick feet, agility and flexibility. Played center in high school but will likely play tackle at Texas. Enrolled at UT in January.

Thomas Ashcraft G/T 6-4, 300 Cedar Hill
Brings versatility to the UT line. Played guard as a sophomore before moving to left tackle as a junior. Excels coming off the ball, creating push in the running game along with the quickness to pull. Plays light on his feet. Enrolled in January.

Garrett Porter G/T 6-6, 305 Odessa Permian
An all-state selection at left tackle as a senior. Plays with a flat back in the run game. His ability to move laterally will determine whether he stays at tackle or moves to guard. Blessed with a massive frame but needs to add lower-body strength.

Paden Kelley T/G 6-6, 275 Lake Travis
Played left tackle for back-to-back state champions and was chosen for ESPN/Under Armour All-American game. Like Porter, his position at Texas, as a guard or tackle, will depend on his ability to move with quickness laterally. Will need some time to further develop his body.

Derek Johnson DT 6-2, 310 Hoxie, Ark.
Has a high ceiling, with terrific attributes for a defensive tackle, standing a shade over 6-2 with broad shoulders, long arms, a powerful lower body, strong hands and an explosive first step. Played a lot of stand-up end in high school and will have to learn technique at defensive tackle.

Calvin Howell DT 6-3, 280 San Antonio Warren
Another high-ceiling tackle prospect. Gets off the ball quickly. Has long arms and strong hands to help shed would-be blockers and has the ability to chase the ball from hash mark to hash mark. Is likely to play as a freshman.

Kyle Kriegel DT 6-5, 250 Elysian Fields
Played defensive end for the Class 2A Yellow Jackets but will begin his career at defensive tackle for the Longhorns. Fires off the ball low with an understanding of leverage and technique. Possesses long arms and the frame to add 40 pounds or more. Already enrolled at UT.

Alex Okafor DE 6-4, 232 Pflugerville
Likely to be the first member of this class to see the field. With his height, quick first step, long arms, the ability to change direction and a quickly developing body, he has the chance to be a big-time defensive end. Already enrolled at UT.

Dominique Jones DE 6-3, 231 Kilgore
The most aggressive player in the class. He's strong, powerful and plays the game with an impressive physicality and motor. Already enrolled at UT but will miss spring practice rehabbing a shoulder injury that required surgery.

Tevin Mims DE 6-4, 230 Stony Point
A late find and a good one by the Texas staff. Missed time after his junior season due to shoulder surgery but rebounded and put together a stellar senior season. Has the ability to make plays sideline to sideline. Blessed with a quick first step and burst.

Tariq Allen ILB 6-2, 231 Irving MacArthur
Downhill linebacker with the ability to make the big hit. Doesn't just hit ball carriers, but knocks them back. Scrapes, diagnoses and works through and around would-be blockers. Displays good blitzing instincts. Already enrolled at UT.

Patrick Nkwopara OLB 5-9, 202 South Grand Prairie
Short in stature, he's a quick-strike linebacker and packs a punch. Sees the ball and reacts well. Played both inside and outside linebacker in South Grand Prairie's 3-4 as a senior.

Marcus Davis S 6-0, 193 Clear Creek
Will be tried at corner and safety but is at his best when playing a downhill, physical brand of football. Could mix in at nickel position early in his career. Already enrolled at UT.

Kenny Vaccaro S/CB 6-0, 190 Early
Will likely play safety. Possesses a blend of physical toughness against the run, lateral quickness and a fluid hip turn in coverage. Already enrolled at UT but will not participate in spring practice as he is rehabbing a knee injury.

Eyron Barnett CB 6-2, 185 Euless Trinity
Was enjoying an excellent senior season before going down with an ACL tear. One of the few 6-2 prospects who is a true cornerback. Displayed terrific ball skills as a junior and senior. Fluid in his movement and has the ability to turn, run and recover.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #824
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Another rumor: Bryce Brown was offered a contract by the CFL.

I read something like that in a NY Times article today...that's crazy.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:06 AM   #825
hoopsguy
General Manager

News from the Illini forums:

Justin Green switched from OSU to Illini late yesterday. Sounds like Illini are promising a shot at immediate playing time at RB, while OSU wanted him at CB.

Kraig Appleton (WR) sent his LOI to Wisconsin. He has verballed to Illinois awhile back, but it has been considered very soft for awhile now. If Illini also lose his HS teammate Hawthorne (who Cuckoo mentioned earlier) and don't find a way to get Stokes then this becomes a big deal. But assuming Hawthorne does sign then the Illini spin is that WR talent is deep enough to survive this.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:07 AM   #826
MJ4H
Coordinator

One of our commits, ATH Jahron Brown is apparently being asked to grayshirt because of failing a physical. Not sure, just a rumor at this point.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:08 AM   #827
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
I read something like that in a NY Times article today...that's crazy.

Mike Farrell said he heard 3 years/5 mil
Old 02-04-2009, 09:08 AM   #828
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Here's the scoop on the 21 players Texas is set to sign today. All but one are from Texas, and quite a few graduated HS early and are already enrolled. Most place have this as a Top 5 class.

Garrett Gilbert QB 6-4, 195 Lake Travis
Is the son of former NFL quarterback Gale Gilbert, the Longhorns are getting one of the top QBs in the country. Beats opponents with precise timing and accuracy, maximizing his power through the use of his hips and core. Excels on sprintouts both right and left.

Chris Whaley RB 6-3, 233 Madisonville
The type of big back the Longhorns covet. Runs with quick feet, a deceptive stride and impressive balance and vision. Needs only to prove he can get his pads down and run with power inside the tackles consistently.

Greg Timmons WR 6-2, 198 Aldine Eisenhower
Every move is fluid and appears easy for the long-armed pass catcher. Is quick in and out of his breaks, sinking the hips, and catches the ball away from his body with strong hands. Has shown ability to break arm tackles.

Marquise Goodwin WR/CB 5-9, 170 Rowlett

One of the top pure athletes in Texas, but Goodwin's college sport may be track, not football. If he chooses to play football, he'll instantly become one of the fastest members of the Longhorns team.

Barrett Matthews TE 6-1, 218 Galena Park North Shore
Ferocious blocker and physical player who's fast enough to get down the field. Can play flex tight end, H-back, and will be seen on special teams. Rates as the best blocking tight end produced by North Shore - including several past I-A prospects.

Trey Graham TE 6-5, 235 Waco Midway
Known as a pass-catching tight end when he initially committed, Graham improved significantly as a blocker in his last season and gained about 20 pounds between his junior and senior seasons. Is quick off the line and excels in the short passing game.

Mason Walters OT 6-6, 290 Wolfforth Frenship
Top national prospect who's as physically imposing as one will see on the high school level. Has a perfectly proportioned frame, along with quick feet, agility and flexibility. Played center in high school but will likely play tackle at Texas. Enrolled at UT in January.

Thomas Ashcraft G/T 6-4, 300 Cedar Hill
Brings versatility to the UT line. Played guard as a sophomore before moving to left tackle as a junior. Excels coming off the ball, creating push in the running game along with the quickness to pull. Plays light on his feet. Enrolled in January.

Garrett Porter G/T 6-6, 305 Odessa Permian
An all-state selection at left tackle as a senior. Plays with a flat back in the run game. His ability to move laterally will determine whether he stays at tackle or moves to guard. Blessed with a massive frame but needs to add lower-body strength.

Paden Kelley T/G 6-6, 275 Lake Travis
Played left tackle for back-to-back state champions and was chosen for ESPN/Under Armour All-American game. Like Porter, his position at Texas, as a guard or tackle, will depend on his ability to move with quickness laterally. Will need some time to further develop his body.

Derek Johnson DT 6-2, 310 Hoxie, Ark.
Has a high ceiling, with terrific attributes for a defensive tackle, standing a shade over 6-2 with broad shoulders, long arms, a powerful lower body, strong hands and an explosive first step. Played a lot of stand-up end in high school and will have to learn technique at defensive tackle.

Calvin Howell DT 6-3, 280 San Antonio Warren
Another high-ceiling tackle prospect. Gets off the ball quickly. Has long arms and strong hands to help shed would-be blockers and has the ability to chase the ball from hash mark to hash mark. Is likely to play as a freshman.

Kyle Kriegel DT 6-5, 250 Elysian Fields
Played defensive end for the Class 2A Yellow Jackets but will begin his career at defensive tackle for the Longhorns. Fires off the ball low with an understanding of leverage and technique. Possesses long arms and the frame to add 40 pounds or more. Already enrolled at UT.

Alex Okafor DE 6-4, 232 Pflugerville
Likely to be the first member of this class to see the field. With his height, quick first step, long arms, the ability to change direction and a quickly developing body, he has the chance to be a big-time defensive end. Already enrolled at UT.

Dominique Jones DE 6-3, 231 Kilgore
The most aggressive player in the class. He's strong, powerful and plays the game with an impressive physicality and motor. Already enrolled at UT but will miss spring practice rehabbing a shoulder injury that required surgery.

Tevin Mims DE 6-4, 230 Stony Point
A late find and a good one by the Texas staff. Missed time after his junior season due to shoulder surgery but rebounded and put together a stellar senior season. Has the ability to make plays sideline to sideline. Blessed with a quick first step and burst.

Tariq Allen ILB 6-2, 231 Irving MacArthur
Downhill linebacker with the ability to make the big hit. Doesn't just hit ball carriers, but knocks them back. Scrapes, diagnoses and works through and around would-be blockers. Displays good blitzing instincts. Already enrolled at UT.

Patrick Nkwopara OLB 5-9, 202 South Grand Prairie
Short in stature, he's a quick-strike linebacker and packs a punch. Sees the ball and reacts well. Played both inside and outside linebacker in South Grand Prairie's 3-4 as a senior.

Marcus Davis S 6-0, 193 Clear Creek
Will be tried at corner and safety but is at his best when playing a downhill, physical brand of football. Could mix in at nickel position early in his career. Already enrolled at UT.

Kenny Vaccaro S/CB 6-0, 190 Early
Will likely play safety. Possesses a blend of physical toughness against the run, lateral quickness and a fluid hip turn in coverage. Already enrolled at UT but will not participate in spring practice as he is rehabbing a knee injury.

Eyron Barnett CB 6-2, 185 Euless Trinity
Was enjoying an excellent senior season before going down with an ACL tear. One of the few 6-2 prospects who is a true cornerback. Displayed terrific ball skills as a junior and senior. Fluid in his movement and has the ability to turn, run and recover.

Let someone else into Texas.

KTHXBYE
Old 02-04-2009, 09:10 AM   #829
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Byron Moore sticks with USC
Old 02-04-2009, 09:11 AM   #830
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Byron Moore just announced for Southern Cal.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:12 AM   #831
MJ4H
Coordinator

8:37 a.m.
Wingo to stick with Hawgs

Despite last minute thoughts about switching to Missouri, sources close to the situation have confirmed that four-star athlete Ronnie Wingo Jr. will sign his national letter of intent with Arkansas this morning.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #832
DeToxRox
Head Coach

4* Patrick Patterson signs with Ole Miss.

Nice get for Busta.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:19 AM   #833
DeToxRox
Head Coach

And sounds like war is declared by Kiffin on Meyer:

Nuke Richardson, 4* ATH from the Muck, long been a UF commit, is apparently going to sign with UT. Not confirmed yet though but lots of fire.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:25 AM   #834
DeToxRox
Head Coach

DeQuinta Jones has eliminated UT/Auburn, and will pick from Michigan and Arkansas. His quote says as of right now he has no idea what to do.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:28 AM   #835
DeToxRox
Head Coach

5* JUCO WR DeAngelo Benton, figured to be an LSU committ, signs with Auburn.

He was standing in the way of Randall to LSU according to people, so that could be a domino that falls now.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:30 AM   #836
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
8:37 a.m.
Wingo to stick with Hawgs

Despite last minute thoughts about switching to Missouri, sources close to the situation have confirmed that four-star athlete Ronnie Wingo Jr. will sign his national letter of intent with Arkansas this morning.

Yeah, that one still was up in the air. He's taking the LOI from both Arkansas and Mizzou to the press conference. This is what happens when an 18 year old kid gets to make a big decision.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 02-04-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:33 AM   #837
DeToxRox
Head Coach

UM commit *if you can call him that* 4* DT Pearlie Graves signs with Texas Tech.

Some optimism he could reaffirm but no one seemed that positive.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:33 AM   #838
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Big news out of Alabama has WR DeAngelo Benton picking Auburn over LSU which might seal the deal for Rueben Randall to come to LSU. Benton was a previous LSU recruit who did not qualify and now that he has, he has decided to spurn the Tigers of LSU for Auburn.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:33 AM   #839
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Gents...tomorrow is one of my favorite days of the year. I'll be live blogging the day, starting around 8am, at In The Bleachers. I could use all the help I could get with any tips or rumors so if any of you want to help please do, and if you have a site or anything for me to give you credit for the tip, please let me know that too.

You got a nice shout out from Orson over at EDSBS this morning.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:35 AM   #840
Logan
Head Coach

Ping: Sak. In a surprise, LB Ka'Lail Glaud will be coming to Rutgers. Listed as having a signed LOI on Rivals.

Last edited by Logan : 02-04-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:38 AM   #841
DeToxRox
Head Coach

In a relative shocker, Sam Montomgery picks LSU over UNC
Old 02-04-2009, 09:40 AM   #842
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
You got a nice shout out from Orson over at EDSBS this morning.

Yeah I saw that. Orson's a cool guy...a little loose upstairs but that's what makes him hilarious. I've had him on the podcast a few times and have a decent relationship (blogger wise) with him.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:49 AM   #843
Logan
Head Coach

I see what you did with that post Sak..."hoping that Brown will pick them." You're just waiting to slam that door in my face!
Old 02-04-2009, 09:53 AM   #844
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Tennessee gets Darren Myles, Jr. Kiffin and that staff are going to be a huge player next year. I think it will be impressive how much they have accomplished in a short time of recruiting this season.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #845
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I'm trying to be impartial!
Old 02-04-2009, 09:56 AM   #846
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Tennessee gets Darren Myles, Jr. Kiffin and that staff are going to be a huge player next year. I think it will be impressive how much they have accomplished in a short time of recruiting this season.

Don't underestimate Coach O and recruiting. Being a USC fan you should know that

Hell, Houston Nutt is benefiting from it at Mississippi.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #847
MacroGuru
Coordinator

BTW, I am updating my post above for BYU but its looking like they took a run on OL this season...I didn't realize they had that many offers out to them.

We need LB's and DB's more than anything right now and we are getting the Big Boys...Oh well.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #848
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

DeQuinta Jones picks Arkansas over Michigan.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #849
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm trying to be impartial!

And you are...it's appreciated of course.

You're doing a great job by the way.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:00 AM   #850
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Don't underestimate Coach O and recruiting. Being a USC fan you should know that

Hell, Houston Nutt is benefiting from it at Mississippi.

Believe me, I don't. I was really hoping USC would manage to get him back this year. He's an excellent recruiter.