Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-23-2015, 04:57 PM   #801
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

For all the crap we do give him, Dubya could certain give a speech and definitely was charismatic in his own way. These days if you can't give a good speech or have even the slightest charisma you go the way of Pawlenty or Walker - leaving the campaign early.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:42 PM   #802
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
So who's next to drop out?

My guess is Santorum.

I'll once again argue that I'm not sure he's actually even been IN this year.
Feels more like they just ran a cardboard cutout leftover from four years ago.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:02 PM   #803
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
For all the crap we do give him, Dubya could certain give a speech and definitely was charismatic in his own way. These days if you can't give a good speech or have even the slightest charisma you go the way of Pawlenty or Walker - leaving the campaign early.

For all his faults, people forget how good he was after 9/11.

George W. Bush - 9/11 Bullhorn Speech - YouTube

Emotional 911 Cathedral Speech - President Bush - YouTube
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:39 PM   #804
digamma
Torchbearer

So a little local story here.

I did a Habitat for Humanity day for my company today. While we were working on the house, the family that will eventually make it their home came by. We said hello. They were very grateful for the work we were doing and we started making some small talk. Turns out they had come from being interviewed by Minnesota Public Radio. Well, actually, they had come from having their son interviewed by MPR.

He made a video over the weekend responding to Ben Carson's statement that Muslims should not become President, and it went viral (at least around here). Smart kid.

Story and video here.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:42 AM   #805
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Trump Reignites Feud with Fox News - NBC News

Can we get CNN and MSNBC to be "unfair" to him too?

I'm not sure there's a better way to show that he's a different candidate to most Republicans than to use this tactic. Most Republicans grow weary of Fox News and are tired of their coverage being so slanted to the extreme right.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:03 AM   #806
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Most Republicans grow weary of Fox News and are tired of their coverage being so slanted to the extreme right.

From a PPP poll in February:

Quote:
“The extreme polarization in what media outlets people trust continues this year. Fewer than 25% of Republicans trust ABC, CBS, Comedy Central, MSNBC, CNN, and NBC. They’re closely divided on PBS with 37% trusting it and 39% distrusting it. But really they just trust Fox News and nothing else with 66% saying they put their faith in it to just 25% who don’t.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:14 AM   #807
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
From a PPP poll in February:

Is that people who stated that they were Republican or actual registered Republicans?

I have little doubt that the extreme Republicans align themselves in that manner, but there are tens of millions that vote Republican that don't watch a lick of Fox News. I watch it for a good chuckle and that's about it.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:31 AM   #808
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

There are a number of polls that say the same thing. There isn't any data to support your claim that most Republicans are tired of their coverage being slanted to the right.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:47 AM   #809
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
There are a number of polls that say the same thing. There isn't any data to support your claim that most Republicans are tired of their coverage being slanted to the right.

But is Trump really pandering to the Republicans that you note? I'd argue he's got those in the bag no matter who runs against him in a general election. The people he's trying to secure are people like me who lean Republican, but aren't against voting for the other candidate if the Republican option is an extreme right candidate (which doesn't appear to be happening in this election cycle).
Old 09-24-2015, 10:54 AM   #810
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
But is Trump really pandering to the Republicans that you note? I'd argue he's got those in the bag no matter who runs against him in a general election. The people he's trying to secure are people like me who lean Republican, but aren't against voting for the other candidate if the Republican option is an extreme right candidate (which doesn't appear to be happening in this election cycle).

Trump isn't going to win the primary if he looks moderate, though. I mean, you can argue whether he's going to win the primary anyway, but "lean Republican" voters don't make up a huge chunk of the primary electorate. He's got to get the nomination before he can worry about tacking to the middle.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:02 AM   #811
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
So a little local story here.

I did a Habitat for Humanity day for my company today. While we were working on the house, the family that will eventually make it their home came by. We said hello. They were very grateful for the work we were doing and we started making some small talk. Turns out they had come from being interviewed by Minnesota Public Radio. Well, actually, they had come from having their son interviewed by MPR.

He made a video over the weekend responding to Ben Carson's statement that Muslims should not become President, and it went viral (at least around here). Smart kid.

Story and video here.
That kid is what America is all about. The good America.

I have two 12s - I would be livid if they were told they couldn't aspire to be President because they didn't subscribe to a particular religion or creed.

Dayur - Shue 2040. FOR AMERICA!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:03 AM   #812
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Trump isn't going to win the primary if he looks moderate, though. I mean, you can argue whether he's going to win the primary anyway, but "lean Republican" voters don't make up a huge chunk of the primary electorate. He's got to get the nomination before he can worry about tacking to the middle.

Could be right. It's fascinating to watch either way. Still time left, but the three leaders are the last three I would have expected at this point.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:07 PM   #813
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post

I'd argue that moderate Republicans are the ones winning their Presidential primary.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:14 PM   #814
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'd argue that moderate Republicans are the ones winning their Presidential primary polls.

Fixed.

We'll see who shows up for the votes that make the final decision on the candidate.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:24 PM   #815
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well the last few Presidential primaries can indicate that the moderates are the ones who show up to vote.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #816
RainMaker
General Manager

Bush, McCain, and Romney were all fairly moderate.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:13 PM   #817
SackAttack
Head Coach

But at least two of those three were trying to seem conservative. Bush ran as a "compassionate conservative" and Romney was trying to convince the base he governed as a "severe conservative."

Whatever their actual bona fides may have been, the bottom line is that in the primary, they presented as conservatives.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:02 PM   #818
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Far more moderate than their chief competitors - McCain in 2000, Huckabee in 2012.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:38 PM   #819
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Far more moderate than their chief competitors - McCain in 2000, Huckabee in 2012.

Huckabee didn't run in 2012. Are you thinking Santorum? Or Gingrich? Or Cain? Yeah, the point still stands.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:06 PM   #820
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying...McCain's 2000 Straight Talk Express was more conservative than Bush's compassionate conservatism?
Old 09-24-2015, 04:57 PM   #821
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yep. The moderates in these races won the Republican Primaries.

The Straight Talk express was about corruption in politics, but Bush was hammering home his compassionate conservatism, including being nicer to immigrants and more government spending in education.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 09-24-2015 at 05:01 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:48 PM   #822
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Huckabee, you're thinking of 2008, but he also didn't really come to any kind of prominence until McCain had the nomination all but sewn up. It was a base revolt at a time when it didn't really do much good.

I also have never gotten the sense that, before 2008, McCain tried to present as a conservative. The brand he brought to 2000 was "trying to get big money out of politics" and "i'm a maverick i piss off both sides with aplomb"

See, I don't think it's (usually) that primary voters have a yen for moderates so much as that the more moderate candidates tend to be more establishment candidates, which gives them access to better fundraising. Better fundraising covereth a multitude of political sins.

That was the case with Romney in 2012 and Bush in 2000. McCain 2008 was just weird. By all rights he should have been dead in the water when his campaign ran out of money before Iowa and I'm really not sure how he recovered.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:47 PM   #823
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
but Bush was hammering home his compassionate conservatism, including being nicer to immigrants

Is this some sort of revisionism? Was Bush ever mean toward immigrants? (Hint: The answer is "no".)
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:00 PM   #824
digamma
Torchbearer

Yeah, I don't think many people are going to call Bush the moderate between he and McCain in 2000. McCain also went nuts on the religious right that election cycle. While Bush certainly took a more moderate approach than in 2004, he was very establishment, while McCain played to the middle (see New Hampshire).
Old 09-24-2015, 08:25 PM   #825
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Is this some sort of revisionism? Was Bush ever mean toward immigrants? (Hint: The answer is "no".)

I think you're misunderstanding. He's saying Bush was calling for a better immigration plan that would appeal to immigrants. Bush was the one being less mean than some other voices in the GOP.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:41 AM   #826
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
So who's next to drop out?

My guess is Santorum.

It's usually money issues that get people out.

I think it's early for those who aren't trying to purchase Iowa. Gilmore may be de-facto out since he skipped the last debate. Lindsey Graham got a lot of angry airtime but didn't move the needle. Bobby Jindal is looking increasingly frustrated. I think those three are pretty much out.

Trump is another story. I still see no path to his election (unless it's Canada, according to South Park). This presents an interesting opportunity for Fiorina or Carson. They get to ride Trump until the ride ends, which may take one of them to a considerable lead in a month or two.

Still a long, long way to go.

McCain in 2000 was one of the few politicians who got me interested in potentially voting or even actively supporting. McCain in 2008 was angry, tired, and ultimately had all the life of a Ronda Rousey opponent. It's funny what time and bitter disappointment can do to someone.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:45 AM   #827
Dutch
"Dutch"

I'm waiting for the moment when Trump says, "Just kidding, I'm not really running for President."
Old 09-25-2015, 07:49 AM   #828
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
It's funny what time and bitter disappointment can do to someone.

I always think of Michael Moore when I see sentiments like that. He went from a smart, funny TV/filmmaker to a crazy, bitter, cranky blowhard. Time and bitterness can be a toxic stew.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:51 AM   #829
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

I don't see Fiorina winning the nomination. But she has to have helped herself more than anyone thusfar in the process. She started in the JV debate. Now she's got an outside shot at the nomination. And, if that does not work out, she seems well positioned for a prime cabinet spot or a media platform.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:54 AM   #830
QuikSand
lolzcat

Hey, Let’s Chill Out
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #831
nol
Banned

Cue Jeb Bush roaring back in the polls:

nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:20 PM   #832
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post

Did a reporter ask him his thoughts and all he said was, "Stuff happens."?
Old 10-02-2015, 03:39 PM   #833
RainMaker
General Manager

No, but if you're a reporter with an agenda it plays into the narrative to frame it like that.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:54 PM   #834
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
No, but if you're a reporter with an agenda it plays into the narrative to frame it like that.

As always, quite a few steps ahead of you. The quote itself is irrelevant compared to the 2nd-degree backlash that will have the low-information voters saying "Hmm looks like Jeb pissed off the PC police, maybe he's not a dirty traitor RINO after all!"
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:26 PM   #835
Dutch
"Dutch"

Well, to be fair, I'm kinda on your side. For instance, I'm really glad you don't own a gun.

Last edited by Dutch : 10-02-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:41 PM   #836
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
As always, quite a few steps ahead of you. The quote itself is irrelevant compared to the 2nd-degree backlash that will have the low-information voters saying "Hmm looks like Jeb pissed off the PC police, maybe he's not a dirty traitor RINO after all!"

Probably. It'll also have a bunch of dumbshits trying to turn him into an uncaring monster by picking out 2 words of a longer multiple sentence answer.

I mean I don't agree with Jeb Bush's answer to the question but the reporter was trying to frame it in a manner that was dishonest.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:44 PM   #837
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

Quote:
It’s a—we’re in a difficult time in our country, and I don’t think more government is necessarily the answer to this. I think we need to reconnect ourselves with everybody else. It’s very sad to see, but I resist the notion—and I had this challenge as governor, because we had—look, stuff happens. There’s always a crisis, and the impulse is always to do something, and it’s not necessarily the right thing to do.

The headline could've easily read, "It's very sad to see" - Jeb Bush

#yellowjournalism
Old 10-02-2015, 10:02 PM   #838
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I sure am going to be thrilled when you get this angry about a Clinton quote taken out of context.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:08 PM   #839
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

If only he instead could wear an American Flag pin and throw a bunch of bullshit out and then do nothing about it. That would make you happy!
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:31 AM   #840
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
I sure am going to be thrilled when you get this angry about a Clinton quote taken out of context.

Well, when that happens, say something. In the meantime, forgive me if I don't sit around waiting for you to question this instance of yellow journalism.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:44 PM   #841
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Gallup has announced it will stay out of polling about candidate preferences in this cycle.

Apparently response rates are so low, and so many people are unreachable, that projections involve too much guesswork.

The interesting thing is that the well-funded campaigns probably do have a decent idea about the races. Data-accumulators like Google know more about us than we'd like to admit. Sophisticated software can analyze past elections and use that information to project individual votes.

When it comes time to vote next year, we are going to be inundated with political phone calls with recordings tailored specifically to our past purchases and whatever Google and friends know about us personally. It's going to get very creepy.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:14 PM   #842
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

The last couple of pages have solidly turned into every other political item on this forum. It may be time to delete the thread - this is absolutely pointless.

(ETA, a lot was just moved to the speaker thread, which albionmoonlight was kind enough to start).

Last edited by Solecismic : 10-08-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:26 PM   #843
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

You should put it to a vote

Have the same people who are making a mockery of the original text and intentions of the founder (you) decide if what they are doing is valuable to the rest of the FOF constituents.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:32 PM   #844
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I have well under 0.1% of the forum membership on ignore, and I have to sign out to read almost all of the recent posts here. I feel I have a responsibility to moderate this thread since I started it. I've asked people to step away when they go on a personal rant against someone else, and that gets ignored. No vote needed, this is the final warning. The last couple of pages, especially, couldn't be valuable to anyone.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:05 PM   #845
digamma
Torchbearer

Posts moved to Speaker thread for topical clarity. Though there have been a few flare ups, this thread has been relatively tame by comparison (and truthfully, the Speaker posts weren't that bad). I think it would be a disappointment if the thread were deleted, but obviously a poster has the capability to delete a thread if he/she desires.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:32 PM   #846
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Gallup has announced it will stay out of polling about candidate preferences in this cycle.

Apparently response rates are so low, and so many people are unreachable, that projections involve too much guesswork.

The interesting thing is that the well-funded campaigns probably do have a decent idea about the races. Data-accumulators like Google know more about us than we'd like to admit. Sophisticated software can analyze past elections and use that information to project individual votes.

When it comes time to vote next year, we are going to be inundated with political phone calls with recordings tailored specifically to our past purchases and whatever Google and friends know about us personally. It's going to get very creepy.
538 has a pretty sharp analysis of this. Gallup isn't getting out of polling, just focusing on issues instead of candidates. The consensus is that they are going this because they have had a few bad election cycles going back to 2010 -- in 2012, their final poll had Romney +1.

But as 538 points out, that's problematic because elections are really the only scorecards to determine if your polling process has any accuracy. If they don't do election polling, there is no reason to have any faith in their issue polling.

A big part of Gallup's problem is that they actually try to stick to solid statistical principles and not rely on gimmicky online polling or other nonsense. But that makes it very difficult to get the responses they need, and as a result their errors in the last few elections seem to be tied to problems with the diversity of their samples.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:54 PM   #847
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is Jeb actually done? That would be shocking if he can't rally support but he really looks to be a 2nd or 3rd choice for much of the electorate right now.

I assume Carson is getting all of the fundie support right now?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:17 PM   #848
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The last couple of pages have solidly turned into every other political item on this forum. It may be time to delete the thread - this is absolutely pointless.

(ETA, a lot was just moved to the speaker thread, which albionmoonlight was kind enough to start).

It's a political topic, the divisions that exist within the party itself are going to be hard pressed not to play out here. They are both relevant to and reflective of an enormous part of the race under discussion.

The phrase "lighten up Francis" comes to mind to be completely honest.

Politics is a contact sport- perhaps even a bloodsport - if you don't have the stomach for it then you'd probably be better served by avoiding it.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:17 PM   #849
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post

But as 538 points out, that's problematic because elections are really the only scorecards to determine if your polling process has any accuracy. If they don't do election polling, there is no reason to have any faith in their issue polling.

This.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:16 PM   #850
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
It's a political topic, the divisions that exist within the party itself are going to be hard pressed not to play out here. They are both relevant to and reflective of an enormous part of the race under discussion.

The phrase "lighten up Francis" comes to mind to be completely honest.

Politics is a contact sport- perhaps even a bloodsport - if you don't have the stomach for it then you'd probably be better served by avoiding it.

We have 100 different bloodsport items. I was trying to include a large number of people here who don't ordinarily comment on political items.

Frankly, it's the thought that politics should be a bloodsport that's left us with a uncompromising set of extremists in Washington (on both sides) and a president who thinks executive orders are a legitimate form of governance. Your side is losing this fight, BTW, and there's very little chance you're ever going to get close to the days of Ronald Reagan again.