Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #851
Grover
Pro Starter

I hate Jeff Carter. How unprofessional he acted in Columbus, sulking his way into a trade to a contender. He doesn't deserve this, the rest of the Kings team does.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #852
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
I hate Jeff Carter. How unprofessional he acted in Columbus, sulking his way into a trade to a contender. He doesn't deserve this, the rest of the Kings team does.

I couldnt agree more...I would be happy for Richards, Gagne, Hextall, and Stevens... but not Carter.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #853
britrock88
Pro Starter

If the Kings win the series in 4 or 5, they'll finish undefeated on the road with 10 or 11 wins. Sheesh.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:00 AM   #854
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
If the Kings win the series in 4 or 5, they'll finish undefeated on the road with 10 or 11 wins. Sheesh.

Is it 2-2-1-1-1 then?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:31 AM   #855
britrock88
Pro Starter

Because you ask, I'll admit that I have not actually checked, but it's been 2-2-1-1-1 through these playoffs and for several past Finals, if I remember correctly.

PS: just checked and it is. Would have been quicker than qualifying myself.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #856
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Yeah, the NHL likes the current format and isn't planning to change it. They tried 2-3-2 for a year back when the playoffs moved to the seeded format and only when it was a Pacific division team against a Central division team, but they didn't even do it for the Finals that year which was New York vs Vancouver.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #857
miked
College Starter

Either the Rangers were poo, the Kings are much better, or the Devils are just out of gas. They pretty much dominated play in the Rangers in almost every game, save a few periods of lapsing. They are getting decent shots at Quick, but no real chances or barrages like they got on Lundquist. The post shot with seconds left was a killer, and they missed a few chances.

I'm thoroughly impressed with the play of the Kings, they are hot at the perfect time.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #858
bhlloy
Coordinator

Damn, I didn't realize how much Thomas was screwing the Bruins. Rask is an RFA and can now pretty much demand starter money or he heads to Europe, plus Thomas' 5m cap hit stays on the books. I hope he at least used lube.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #859
Danny
Head Coach

Well, he did just win them a Stanley cup though
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #860
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Either the Rangers were poo, the Kings are much better, or the Devils are just out of gas. They pretty much dominated play in the Rangers in almost every game, save a few periods of lapsing. They are getting decent shots at Quick, but no real chances or barrages like they got on Lundquist. The post shot with seconds left was a killer, and they missed a few chances.

I'm thoroughly impressed with the play of the Kings, they are hot at the perfect time.

From watching all the Kings opponents, it's pretty clear the Devils and Kings are the two best teams this year. The Kings have dominated every team they played in the west, but the Devils are playing them pretty even (Quick is just better than Brodeur so far, which is the difference).

It's not really about being hot. The Kings are a great team. They just needed time to adjust to Sutter's system. The previous coach Murray wasn't very good. Additionally, Richards and Carter needed time to gel (plus Richards missed a lot of time with a concussion). The call ups of King and Nolan were huge. Plus Penner just slept through the regular season and Doughty came in out of shape because of his holdout.

I think most of the Kings are getting the love they deserve except for Kopitar. In my mind, he is easily the Kings best overall player (Quick not included) and has to be one of the two or three best two way forwards in the league.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #861
Danny
Head Coach

I'm also one that is usually not overly optimistic about the King's playoff chances, but going into these playoffs I knew they could compete for the cup if their offense clicked a little.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #862
miked
College Starter

Bullshit goal from the Kings. I guess once it's under the goalie's pads, you just keep slashing with your stick until it comes loose and goes in.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #863
chadritt
High School Varsity

WOOOOO!!!! GO KINGS GO! This is nuts.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #864
miked
College Starter

Nice power play Devils. Kovalchick looks like he's just gonna hang out at the blue line for the series.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #865
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Hey, what happened to the good games....

Sorry, just turned it on.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #866
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

In 17 games Jonathan Quick has given up 2 LESS goals (24) than Fleury did in 6 games (26).
Old 06-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #867
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I hate you Jeff Carter...you finally learn not to shoot high and wide. Had you played like this two years ago...

But in the same breath I am so happy for Simon Gagne...he is/was my favorite Flyers from the time he came up at 19 years old. I am glad he played tonight and will get his name on the cup.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #868
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Nice power play Devils. Kovalchick looks like he's just gonna hang out at the blue line for the series.

Sigh.

That's enough hockey for me for one night. Surely, I can go find a book to read.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #869
Pyser
Pro Rookie

at least we beat the rangers, right?

good season devils. you were scrappy and overachieved and we loved you for it. but the kings are deserving of this.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #870
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
at least we beat the rangers, right?

good season devils. you were scrappy and overachieved and we loved you for it. but the kings are deserving of this.

Yeah, I think that's a good synopsis. At least we exorcised the ghosts of 1994. And LA is certainly deserving. No real hating. At least it's not Phoenix.

Still, I was hoping for an improbable 4th.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #871
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

There is just no stopping this team.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #872
chadritt
High School Varsity

Man this has been fun. Considering the NHL moved my #1 team this year ive been thrilled to be able to watch the Kings do so well after making them my new "home" team almost 10 years ago.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #873
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
Man this has been fun. Considering the NHL moved my #1 team this year ive been thrilled to be able to watch the Kings do so well after making them my new "home" team almost 10 years ago.

Wait what team did you used to root for?

Last edited by Young Drachma : 06-04-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #874
chadritt
High School Varsity

Thrashers. Born and raised in Atlanta, started going to IHL games when I was about 10.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #875
Danny
Head Coach

If I got tattoos, I would have a silhoutte of Kopitar and Quick tattoed on my chest
Old 06-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #876
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
If I got tattoos, I would have a silhoutte of Kopitar and Quick tattoed on my chest

I've thought about getting a Quick or Kopitar jersey, just to honor them.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #877
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I thought so. I just was curious.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #878
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I've thought about getting a Quick or Kopitar jersey, just to honor them.

I have a Kings jersey, but I want to have Kopitar put on the back. He's my favorite player and also wears my favorite number. I just need to find a good place to have it done. I dont want the steam pressed crap

Last edited by Danny : 06-04-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #879
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I have a Kings jersey, but I want to have Kopitar put on the back. He's my favorite player and also wears my favorite number. I just need to find a good place to have it done. I dont want the steam pressed crap

I bleed blue through and through.. but damn has this Kings team been fun to watch.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #880
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad View Post
Looks like I'm going to game 4 of the finals.
Wow... I may be watching LA history on Wednesday night.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #881
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad View Post
Wow... I may be watching LA history on Wednesday night.

Best of luck and enjoy.

Oh, and....

Hey Brad!!!!
Old 06-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #882
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Yeah, I think that's a good synopsis. At least we exorcised the ghosts of 1994. And LA is certainly deserving. No real hating. At least it's not Phoenix.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, as I'm not a shit talker and genuinely respect the way the Devils have been managed as a hockey franchise for the past two decades...

...but really?

The actual play on the ice and intensity in that series was on a whole other level compared to this year. Double OT in games 1 and 3. Devils with a chance to clinch at home in Game 6. The Messier guarantee/hat trick. Devils tying game 7 with 7.7 seconds left. Matteau...the Devils fans I know still shit bricks on any wraparound attempts on Brodeur.

I don't know if I would view it differently if you guys were on the verge of clinching the Cup, and of course you can feel however you choose to, I just find it surprising.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #883
Logan
Head Coach

Even as a Jersey guy I appreciate the creativity.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...icle-1.1089927

Last edited by Logan : 06-05-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #884
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
...but really?

The actual play on the ice and intensity in that series was on a whole other level compared to this year. Double OT in games 1 and 3. Devils with a chance to clinch at home in Game 6. The Messier guarantee/hat trick. Devils tying game 7 with 7.7 seconds left. Matteau...the Devils fans I know still shit bricks on any wraparound attempts on Brodeur.

yes really. you see, all that stuff is fun for a rangers fan, because YOU WON. its torturous as a devils fan. losing the finals this year will always hurt a lot less when we remember the OT goal ousting the #1 seeded rangers.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #885
BlackJack
n00b

Quote:

Oh Jesus, thank you, haven't had a good laugh like that in a long time. What happened in this years conf finals doesn't touch what happened in '94. Enjoy the sweep. Only thing that would be more embarrassing would be if anyone was watching. But no one is. Because it's the Devils.
BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #886
Logan
Head Coach

And then there's the other approach...
Old 06-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #887
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
Oh Jesus, thank you, haven't had a good laugh like that in a long time. What happened in this years conf finals doesn't touch what happened in '94. Enjoy the sweep. Only thing that would be more embarrassing would be if anyone was watching. But no one is. Because it's the Devils.

If a team wins the Prince of Wales Trophy over their arch rivals and no one is around to hear it, do they still raise a banner?

Yes, it says 2012 Eastern Conference Champions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
And then there's the other approach...

You're cool, dude. I understood your point. I was just venting when I wrote my original thing, it wasn't really meant to be anything serious. But yeah, tales of two cities here (between the two approaches.)

Last edited by Young Drachma : 06-05-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #888
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

last 17 years- 5 Cup finals- 3 wins, 2 likely losses

last 72 years- 1 Cup

I'll take the top team.K.Thx.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #889
BlackJack
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
last 17 years- 5 Cup finals- 3 wins, 2 likely losses

last 72 years- 1 Cup

I'll take the top team.K.Thx.

Look, I read somewhere once that you don't choose your sports teams, your teams choose you, and I think there's a lot of truth to that. You're a Devils fan, that's cool, I just honestly think that its ridiculous that this metro area has 3 NHL teams, and the Devils organization, especially the players, would be better served in another city that would embrace it. North Jersey, which is supposedly the Devils home area, has a majority of Rangers fans. I know, I live here. And South Jersey is all Flyers. They have no base of their own. It isn't fair to the team, but the Devils' success hurts the NHL. And yes, that loss 2 weeks ago still stings like a motherfucker.
BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #890
miked
College Starter

Sigh, I grew up in North Jersey and it seemed about half of my friends were Devils fans. Not so bad when the other team puts it's arena over the busiest fucking train station in the land.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #891
chadritt
High School Varsity

Game Time. Lets go Kings, i want to see a Stanley Cup Parade on Hollywood blvd.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #892
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Look, I read somewhere once that you don't choose your sports teams, your teams choose you, and I think there's a lot of truth to that. You're a Devils fan, that's cool, I just honestly think that its ridiculous that this metro area has 3 NHL teams, and the Devils organization, especially the players, would be better served in another city that would embrace it. North Jersey, which is supposedly the Devils home area, has a majority of Rangers fans. I know, I live here. And South Jersey is all Flyers. They have no base of their own. It isn't fair to the team, but the Devils' success hurts the NHL. And yes, that loss 2 weeks ago still stings like a motherfucker.

If they put the arena somewhere in Central Jersey, it'd probably sell out more than it does now. But putting it where no one actually lives or plays hockey, is what dooms it. People like a winner and people like a bandwagon, but unlike Detroit, there's an actual connection to the team and the Devils don't have the love affair locally because they've only been around since 1982 that the other teams do despite their success.

Luckily for Devils fans, despite the near-bankrupt owner there are teams in the NHL in worse straits and so...it's not likely the team with the new arena that's only 85% full is going anywhere, because a team in the NYC TV market even if no one cares is better than having them in Saskatoon.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #893
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

Ok, seriously. You don't get to claim ghosts or demons from a season that was three championships ago for your franchise. You exorcised them the very next year when you know, won a Stanley Cup.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #894
bhlloy
Coordinator

What a complete crock of shit call
Old 06-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #895
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
What a complete crock of shit call

Didn't look good but would it kill NBC to show a replay in regular speed from the north-south angle?
Old 06-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #896
chadritt
High School Varsity

If this goes to OT there is no way im staying in the office. I need to find a sportsbar nearby
Old 06-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #897
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

lol, that had to be one of the funniest missed checks that I have seen recently.

Last edited by EagleFan : 06-06-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #898
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

THANK GOODNESS
Old 06-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #899
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The Devils have never been swept in 42 best-of-seven series -- the longest active streak in NHL, according to ESPN Stats & Information

Last edited by Young Drachma : 06-06-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #900
bhlloy
Coordinator

Where did Adam Henrique come from? He's a beast