Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #851
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Some thoughts from a still-happy customer. Please receive as constructive observations.

Have you changed the trade settings to 5's/10's yet instead of preset 3's/5's? Not sure if it makes a ton of difference in the game because I haven't tried it yet.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #852
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
I know you set the manually edited potentials to be anywhere to 200, but are players importing over 100? In test runs the Kobes, Carmelos, LeBrons, Durants, etc of the latest era never hit a 30 PPG margin... most leading men are at 25 ppg

If you set them manually they were coming in over 100 but they weren't generating over 100. I changed that for several of the stats for the next build.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #853
korme
Go Reds

Andre Iguodala might be the best player I've seen all-around- check out these ratings at his peak:

Code:
PLAYER DETAILS #14 SG Andre Iguodala - 76ers ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Height: 6-6 Weight: 217 DOB: 1/28/1984 (28) College: Arizona Hometown: Springfield, IL Exp: 8 Attributes: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Type INS JPS FTS 3PS HND PAS ORB DRB PSD PRD STL BLK QKN STR JMP STA ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Current: 92 99 63 96 66 84 44 92 61 98 99 46 70 78 83 94 Potential: A A B A B A C A A A A C Stat Averages: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Season LGE TEAM G GS MIN PTS ORE REB AST TO A/T STL BLK PF ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2011 NBA PHI 82 82 38.5 27.6 1.8 9.2 6.7 2.9 2.27 2.9 0.5 2.4 2010 NBA PHI 74 74 37.1 26.7 1.7 9.1 5.9 2.4 2.46 2.8 0.4 2.2 2009 NBA PHI 60 60 36.6 23.5 1.6 8.4 5.8 2.3 2.54 2.4 0.3 2.5 2008 NBA PHI 82 82 35.2 20.9 1.6 7.2 4.9 2.2 2.24 2.1 0.3 2.6 2007 NBA UTA 74 74 36.0 16.6 1.6 7.0 4.4 2.2 2.00 1.8 0.4 2.6 2006 NBA UTA 82 82 39.0 17.7 1.6 6.9 3.9 2.3 1.66 1.6 0.3 2.7 2005 NBA UTA 82 82 36.6 14.3 1.3 5.5 2.8 1.8 1.51 1.1 0.2 2.7 2004 NBA UTA 75 75 34.5 13.0 1.0 5.0 2.4 1.6 1.46 1.3 0.2 2.3 Career 611 611 36.7 19.9 1.5 7.2 4.6 2.2 1.46 2.0 0.3 2.5 Awards & Achievements: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Season Award ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Total Player of the Game: 181 Total Player of the Week: 12 Total Player of the Month: 5 Total All-Star Appearances: 4 Total All-League First Team : 2 Total All-Defensive First Team : 2 Total All-Defensive Second Team : 1 Total Playoff MVP : 3 Total Most Valuable Player : 2 Total Championships: 3
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #854
yeah826
High School JV

Wow usually players like Andre end up flaming out for me
yeah826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #855
korme
Go Reds

After reaching 2012-13, I changed the NBA to go from historical DB to importing FBB files from a career.

When I go back into the editor, and click the dropdown box to Teams, I get a subscript out of range '9' error.

I don't know why that happens, but a workaround is simply going to something like the staff dropdown, which defaults to ABA, and then going to Teams, and then sorting by NBA and I don't get the error anymore.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #856
korme
Go Reds

It seems as if the NBDL dropdown is causing the screwup.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:52 PM   #857
yeah826
High School JV

I think it would be cool to add the option to disable free agency to simulate the years when teams could keep players on their teams or only get rid of them through trading. I looked it up and the league added free agency in 1976.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:34 AM   #858
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

In the gameplan screen, has anyone ever had the "recommend" button not result in both defenses selected being assigned to '10' for usage?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:00 AM   #859
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Not sure if this is historically accurate or not, but if you hold the draft pick of a team that folds, that draft pick disappears.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:25 AM   #860
yeah826
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
In the gameplan screen, has anyone ever had the "recommend" button not result in both defenses selected being assigned to '10' for usage?

I have seen that also

Last edited by yeah826 : 05-15-2013 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #861
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah826 View Post
I think it would be cool to add the option to disable free agency to simulate the years when teams could keep players on their teams or only get rid of them through trading. I looked it up and the league added free agency in 1976.

Go to the editor (don't have the game open), the editor on the far left side of the tools screen. Disable financials. Works the same way, I believe.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #862
korme
Go Reds

With my first imported FBCB draft class, even the 60th pick was yellow/yellow... is that normal?
Old 05-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #863
korme
Go Reds

dawgfan, I finally updated my files by replacing my work with yours and I gotta say hats off dude... well done, finding the logos I missed and the attention to detail. Great job man. The only problem I'm seeing is that because you made the default logos bigger than the actual dimensions in the game, they get squished down and pixelated in the game.

Last edited by korme : 05-15-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #864
yeah826
High School JV

Quote:
With my first imported FBCB draft class, even the 60th pick was yellow/yellow... is that normal?

Unless your league scout is pretty bad the usually 60th pick is an orange or red they stopped being yellow around the 2nd round. Maybe a few here or there.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #865
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
dawgfan, I finally updated my files by replacing my work with yours and I gotta say hats off dude... well done, finding the logos I missed and the attention to detail. Great job man. The only problem I'm seeing is that because you made the default logos bigger than the actual dimensions in the game, they get squished down and pixelated in the game.
Thanks - it was a slog, but also fun trying to track that stuff down. There were a few I just couldn't find - there's no record I can find of what the logos were for the Indianapolis Jets or Pittsburgh Ironmen. I found something recently that might be a real logo for the Indianapolis Olympians, but I'm not convinced. For the Jets & Olympians, I just went with logos that were done by an outfit that sells throwback gear; both are made up I'm pretty sure, but the Olympians one I used does at least seem to use very similar font to what was actually used on their jerseys, and they both look like they could come from that era.

For the Ironmen, all I could find were some fuzzy black & white photos of their uniforms, and I just tried to match the block 'P' they had on the sides of their shorts.

For the Chicago Packers, I found a photo of what appears to be an actual warm-up jacket - the logo on it looks very close to the fuzzy one on Creamer's site, so I used it as a template to re-create it in Gimp. The result isn't bad, but it reminds me that I really need to buy a Wacom tablet to use at home. If I have time, I may attempt to re-create a few more of those old logos that are really low-res, like the old Warriors logos and the Blackhawks logo.

For Anderson, I wasn't satisfied with the indian head logo that everyone uses - the colors aren't right for their jersey colors, so I found an old game program image, cleaned it up and make it look more like a logo.

I can't remember why I went 125x125 - I'm not sure if that's the default sizes that Brian ships, or if those were the size of the "tighty-whitey" ones Suicane made. Either way though, I've found it doesn't actually seem to make much difference. For FBCB (where I'm using 80x80) I've noticed that a lot of the logos get some banding when displayed in the game, and I did some quick tests on the FBPB3 logos at smaller pixel sizes, and they basically look as pixelated as the 125x125 versions. I think it's just a function of the size of the space for the logos unfortunately, but I can try playing around with them a bit more.

On a related note, I have player pictures up from 1946 through 1948 (though I do keep finding a few more that I've missed as I play the game and do more online searches). A lot of guys I just can't find anything for, so there's a lot of gaps still. I'm kind of surprised that I can't seem to find any pictures of Ed Mikan - any search for him just brings back pictures of his brother George. I'm making slow progress on it, and I figure I'll shoot them over to Groundhog to host.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #866
korme
Go Reds

From my experience, sizing them down in a photo editor and saving them to that dimension increases the quality in-game.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #867
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Did you check throwbackmax.com? Not sure who you are looking for.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #868
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Quote:
Not sure if this is historically accurate or not, but if you hold the draft pick of a team that folds, that draft pick disappears.

Yeah, this happened to me, with what I thought was the #1 pick in the draft. I was bummed. To make matters worse, I traded my first round pick to them, which would have been around #7. For that pick, it said something like "No Pick" and the draft screen. So I was out a point guard and my first round pick, and got nothing in return. I'm not sure how that situation would have been resolved in real life.

Last edited by Umbrella : 05-15-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #869
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
After reaching 2012-13, I changed the NBA to go from historical DB to importing FBB files from a career.

When I go back into the editor, and click the dropdown box to Teams, I get a subscript out of range '9' error.

I don't know why that happens, but a workaround is simply going to something like the staff dropdown, which defaults to ABA, and then going to Teams, and then sorting by NBA and I don't get the error anymore.

I'll take the save if you've got it.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #870
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:

Sounds like a draft class from the first few years of an FBCB career. The starting rosters are too deep.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #871
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
Yeah, this happened to me, with what I thought was the #1 pick in the draft. I was bummed. To make matters worse, I traded my first round pick to them, which would have been around #7. For that pick, it said something like "No Pick" and the draft screen. So I was out a point guard and my first round pick, and got nothing in return. I'm not sure how that situation would have been resolved in real life.

I'm open to suggestions for how to best handle this. The game doesn't calculate that a team won't have future draft picks until they are actually contracted.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #872
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign View Post
I'm open to suggestions for how to best handle this. The game doesn't calculate that a team won't have future draft picks until they are actually contracted.
In your code, is there a way after contraction has occurred to parse past transactions and ID draft pick trades that involve contracted teams?

I would think that in real life, the league would have awarded some type of compensation to the team losing their pick. For example, if I swapped draft picks, give me back my pick in my regular spot (i.e. I lose any gain I might have had in draft position, but I don't lose my pick altogether); if I'd traded a player, give me some type of compensatory pick that roughly matches value? It appears you already have code in place that does rough value comparisons for the purpose of trading, so maybe that could be used here.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #873
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
Did you check throwbackmax.com? Not sure who you are looking for.
These are all ones I had logos for, but a lot of these are a much higher res than I had, so thanks - good find. I should be able to get some improvements on a number of the ABA logos based off of these.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #874
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
These are all ones I had logos for, but a lot of these are a much higher res than I had, so thanks - good find. I should be able to get some improvements on a number of the ABA logos based off of these.

let's see. other sites:

Chris Creamer's Sports Logos Page - SportsLogos.Net

http://www.logoserver.com/

I found a Kautskys logo which you may be able to use for that one year since it was the same team. Think it was on an Arnold Risen page.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #875
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

It would be possible to track which picks are going away when the actual contraction happens. Any sort of compensation picks would require a pretty big rewrite of all the draft order and draft pick code though.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #876
Umbrella
High School Varsity

As I said before, I don't know what would happen in real life if a situation like this happened. My gut tells me that if the contracted team traded their pick, and it would have been #4, the receiving team should get the #4 pick. To complicate matters even more in my situation, there were expansion teams as well, so the pick would have shifted down even further.

I think from now on I will just be more careful about trading for draft picks when I know the team will contract. A little gamey perhaps, but it seems fair to me.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #877
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
let's see. other sites:

Chris Creamer's Sports Logos Page - SportsLogos.Net

http://www.logoserver.com/

I found a Kautskys logo which you may be able to use for that one year since it was the same team. Think it was on an Arnold Risen page.
Yeah, I've scoured both sites. Creamer's was the basis for most of them (though I sometimes found higher-res versions elsewhere).

I've found that looking for vintage clothes being auctioned off has yielded some good finds. Here's a look at the Olympians' jerseys:

And just now, I found this for the Olympians:

I can't be certain this is an authentic recreation or something that was made up, but I'm considering updating the logo I'm using now which I'm 99% certain is not authentic.

There's also this one I've come across, but I'm not sure if it's authentic - this is the only location I've found that uses this logo:

I've yet to find anything for the Indianapolis Jets, though part of it is that an image search is filled with Indianapolis Colts/New York Jets pictures, and I haven't had the patience to scroll through several pages to see if anything relevant pops up.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #878
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
As I said before, I don't know what would happen in real life if a situation like this happened. My gut tells me that if the contracted team traded their pick, and it would have been #4, the receiving team should get the #4 pick. To complicate matters even more in my situation, there were expansion teams as well, so the pick would have shifted down even further.

I think from now on I will just be more careful about trading for draft picks when I know the team will contract. A little gamey perhaps, but it seems fair to me.

If a team was contracted and their picks were dispersed, seems the likely scenario would be to nuke the lowest possible pick.

So say Oklahoma City gets contracted and Sacramento has their 4th overall pick through trade, where is Sacto's first rounder? If Sacto owns it, league probably says "ok Sacto, you lose the lower of the two picks since team was contracted." If Sacto's pick is elsewhere, say, Brooklyn and Brooklyn's 1st rounder was a 29th pick, then you nuke the 29th pick.

With franchise valuations where they are, it's simply not a modern consideration.

When MLS contracted in 2002, what they did was...they did an allocation draft with teams that had allocations left. One of the allocations included a 2002 1st rounder from the contracted Tampa Bay Mutiny.

No real parallel to that in another league, but...I suspect there'd be a very convoluted process to the whole thing.

Interesting thought experiment.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #879
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

I've yet to find anything for the Indianapolis Jets, though part of it is that an image search is filled with Indianapolis Colts/New York Jets pictures, and I haven't had the patience to scroll through several pages to see if anything relevant pops up.

They were only the Jets for one year, so I imagine you'd be better off searching stuff for the Indianapolis Kautskys who were the same franchise as the Jets.

PeoplesGarmentCo - Indianapolis Kautskys
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #880
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
They were only the Jets for one year, so I imagine you'd be better off searching stuff for the Indianapolis Kautskys who were the same franchise as the Jets.

PeoplesGarmentCo - Indianapolis Kautskys
Yeah, I could go that route with the logo, but it'd look a little funny (IMO) to have an "IND K's" as a logo for the Jets, though I suppose I could just edit the team name back to Kautskys.

I'll keep periodically searching for any Jets gear on auction, see if I get lucky.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #881
Groundhog
Coordinator

Speculation, but I think if a team folded and another team owned their pick, the league would probably still give them that pick in the year it is owed, meaning that there would be one extra selection that draft - similar to how there was one fewer 1st round selections when the TWolves had to forfeit picks. How they would work out the positioning of the pick for draft order/lottery I don't know - perhaps based on the team's record in their final year, or random, etc.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #882
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Yeah, I could go that route with the logo, but it'd look a little funny (IMO) to have an "IND K's" as a logo for the Jets, though I suppose I could just edit the team name back to Kautskys.

I'll keep periodically searching for any Jets gear on auction, see if I get lucky.

All the jets gear I've seen is fake (bad). Also try searching basketball trading cards (Bowman maybe)?
Old 05-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #883
korme
Go Reds

Anyone skilled at custom logos? I wish some of the OOTP modders played this game. Into my first real league, I'm ready to expand the NBA
Old 05-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #884
korme
Go Reds

Sending the league file with something called google drive, I guess the good old fashioned email attachment is too big for gmail now... let me know if that causes a problem.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #885
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
All the jets gear I've seen is fake (bad). Also try searching basketball trading cards (Bowman maybe)?

FWIW, doesn't look like those trading cards had logos

Old 05-15-2013, 10:56 PM   #886
korme
Go Reds

Dumb question, but if you're controlling 2 teams, how do you toggle between them? Is this possible?
Old 05-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #887
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

This Indy Stars logo thing made me oddly curious & I've spent way too much time Googling about it.

Here's the closest thing I've found yet, a tiny thumbnail of forward Andy Kostecka, who avg 6.4 ppg for the Jets in his only season of pro basketball
Old 05-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #888
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Dumb question, but if you're controlling 2 teams, how do you toggle between them? Is this possible?

Hot seat screen.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #889
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Sending the league file with something called google drive, I guess the good old fashioned email attachment is too big for gmail now... let me know if that causes a problem.

Thanks. Should be fixed now.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:32 PM   #890
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
From my experience, sizing them down in a photo editor and saving them to that dimension increases the quality in-game.
Were you scaling them down to 80x80?
Old 05-15-2013, 11:32 PM   #891
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Were you scaling them down to 80x80?

Yes
Old 05-15-2013, 11:51 PM   #892
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Anyone skilled at custom logos? I wish some of the OOTP modders played this game. Into my first real league, I'm ready to expand the NBA

What do you mean by skilled? We adjusted most logos from real logos (not NBA only) in the mp league so far. I usually look at the net and steal logo and adjust colors. Some turn out nice, some horrible. Any particular nickname you are looking for a logo for?

example on this page of logos stolen and adjusted on team pages: http://nabf.us/html/
Old 05-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #893
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:

Have you ever looked through these?

4500+ Generic Logos Free for the Taking - OOTP Developments Forums
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:59 PM   #894
korme
Go Reds

Was looking to expand a couple teams, not sure where yet... def. want to add the Cinci Royals back in (hometown bias), and stumbled upon this excellent redesign on the net. The other teams will probably be purely made up, however.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:42 AM   #895
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Was looking to expand a couple teams, not sure where yet... def. want to add the Cinci Royals back in (hometown bias), and stumbled upon this excellent redesign on the net. The other teams will probably be purely made up, however.

Well if you got a list of names I can take a shot. Worst thing is they don't turn out like ya wanted.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:21 AM   #896
korme
Go Reds

I'll give you some creative freedom. I will be giving a team to Virginia Beach, and Las Vegas.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #897
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
When MLS contracted in 2002, what they did was...they did an allocation draft with teams that had allocations left. One of the allocations included a 2002 1st rounder from the contracted Tampa Bay Mutiny.

That it interesting. Maybe put the draft picks that were not their own in the dispersion draft? I don't know what others think, or even if that is possible in the code. That still doesn't address the team that owns a contracted team's draft pick though.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #898
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Not my greatest work but quick mocks.

Virginia Beach Buccaneers

Las Vegas Lions (Living in Vegas, I avoid the obvious ones...)

Last edited by murrayyyyy : 05-16-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #899
korme
Go Reds

Thanks murrrrrrrr
Old 05-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #900
korme
Go Reds

Quickness a little over-valued? This dude is a stud across the board, but he is a 73 in quickness and is O/Y. If I edit his quickness to 80 (merely 7 pt difference), he skyrockets to G/B. But leaving as is, he's considered a dud.

Code:
PLAYER DETAILS #2 SG Thomas Yarber - Royals ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Height: 6-0 Weight: 192 DOB: 5/17/1995 (26) College: California Hometown: Sacramento, CA Exp: 3 Attributes: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Type INS JPS FTS 3PS HND PAS ORB DRB PSD PRD STL BLK QKN STR JMP STA ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Current: 78 82 62 99 71 23 39 33 50 72 85 55 73 47 73 93 Potential: A A B A B D C C B B A B Stat Averages: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Season LGE TEAM G GS MIN PTS ORE REB AST TO A/T STL BLK PF ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2021 NBA CIN 30 0 9.4 6.4 0.3 1.2 0.6 0.5 1.06 0.8 0.2 0.5 2020 NBDL FWN 78 76 31.6 22.9 1.6 5.3 2.6 2.3 1.09 1.7 0.4 1.1 2019 NBA MIN 31 0 17.5 10.2 0.8 2.6 1.8 1.1 1.68 0.8 0.1 0.4 2017 CBA QIN 9 0 19.6 15.0 0.4 1.1 0.8 2.1 0.37 1.2 0.2 1.7 2017 NBDL MNE 4 4 29.0 15.8 1.0 3.0 2.0 1.5 1.33 1.3 0.3 0.5 Career 156 84 24.0 16.6 1.1 3.7 1.9 1.7 1.33 1.4 0.3 0.9 Awards & Achievements: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Season Award ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Total Player of the Game: 43 Total Player of the Week: 10 Total Player of the Month: 5 Total All-Star Appearances: 1 Total All-League First Team : 1 Total All-Defensive First Team : 1 Total Most Valuable Player : 1 2020 NBDL All-Defensive First Team 2020 NBDL All-League First Team 2020 NBDL Most Valuable Player 2020 NBDL Most Improved Player 2020 NBDL All-Star 2020 NBDL 3-Point Shootout Champion 2016 1st Team All-Conference (Pacific-12 Conference) 2016 2nd Team All-American 2015 1st Team All-Conference (Pacific-12 Conference) 2012 High School: Rated ***** and #7 overall by the FBCB scouting service.