Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-20-2023, 10:43 AM   #851
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I always thought one of the great mysteries of the universe is how the Saints always some how manage to come in under the salary cap despite being at times $100 million over the cap.

Even right now for 2024 the Saints are over $70 million over the cap.
Old 10-20-2023, 01:10 PM   #852
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

how is it a cap then?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 02:49 PM   #853
RainMaker
General Manager

Frustrated Robert Kraft Wishes There Were Somewhere He Could Go To Relieve Tension Of Patriots Season
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 02:54 PM   #854
miami_fan
Coordinator

The Tyson Bagent era in Chicago begins Sunday with a matchup against the Brian Hoyer led Las Vegas Raiders.

Injured Bears QB Justin Fields out; Tyson Bagent to start - ESPN
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 03:17 PM   #855
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

good. lets see Bagent win a game
Old 10-20-2023, 03:20 PM   #856
RainMaker
General Manager

At the very least it'll give us some data on whether this is Fields being bad or the organization being a failure.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 04:56 PM   #857
miami_fan
Coordinator

NFL wants to clear path to Olympic flag football for players - ESPN

The NFL can't be serious right? Teams are holding their breath throughout the Pro Bowl Games but they are going to allow a Justin Jefferson or a Trevor Lawrence l to play against the best flag football players from whatever nation you want to insult? There had to be a email that went out to all the teams telling them there were just kidding and they don't really want NFL players in the Olympics.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 10-20-2023, 07:28 PM   #858
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Didn't they discontinue the pro bowl flag football game because someone blew an ACL years ago and it ended his career?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 07:40 PM   #859
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

There are billions of people globally with no exposure to football. I imagine the NFL sees this as a way to promote the game in Asia, Africa, and South America.
Old 10-20-2023, 07:43 PM   #860
miami_fan
Coordinator

It was Robert Edwards but I think that due to the game being played on the beach. They play flag football now on grass. I am pretty sure Miles Garrett suffered some sort of foot injury in last year's game.
Old 10-20-2023, 08:49 PM   #861
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Didn't they discontinue the pro bowl flag football game because someone blew an ACL years ago and it ended his career?

Yeah. I think that was on a beach during the lead up to the pro bowl or something, if I remember correctly.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 08:50 PM   #862
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
It was Robert Edwards but I think that due to the game being played on the beach. They play flag football now on grass. I am pretty sure Miles Garrett suffered some sort of foot injury in last year's game.

I should have just read what you said, m_f! Totally correct! #UnderscoreBros
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 10-20-2023 at 08:51 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 08:50 PM   #863
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
There are billions of people globally with no exposure to football. I imagine the NFL sees this as a way to promote the game in Asia, Africa, and South America.

What game? Flag football? Sure but you don't need NFL players to play in the Olympics to promote flag football. I support bringing in recently retired players. I might still call a guy like Ted Ginn Jr. in 2028 to play for Team USA. He might be a flag football legend even then. But the star QB, WR, DE or CB? For who? For what? It is not like basketball where NBA stars are playing basketball all offseason anyways. NFL players stop playing football at the end of the season and don't start back playing football until the next season starts. NFL owners and coaches don't even want the stars to play in preseason games to promote their own teams.

Maybe the new owners are different and will all be on board with players going to the Olympics for flag football to promote the league. I just don't see why they would take that risk as opposed to say sending a group of players to host a camp and a flag football tournament amongst the locals.
Old 10-21-2023, 02:52 AM   #864
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Baker Mayfield has to be a lock for QB1 of the American flag team. He’s bound to be out of the league by then. Justin Fields or Zach Wilson are strong maybes. Skill guys probably someone like Kadarius Toney or Juju seem like the type of guys. Maybe you can talk Gronk into playing? It’s 5 on 5. there has to be a g-league type NBA guy who could crossover and play. Maybe 42 year old Dwight Howard?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 07:11 AM   #865
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Vote for most self-aware comment I've seen recently:

"I don't need somebody bringing facts into our discussion. I would much rather hate the referees and Tom Brady forever".
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 07:42 AM   #866
Ksyrup

Just saw that tonight's game is Dolphins-Eagles. Nice!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-22-2023, 09:47 AM   #867
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post

"I don't need somebody bringing facts into our discussion. I would much rather hate the referees and Tom Brady forever".

Amen Brother!
Old 10-22-2023, 09:56 AM   #868
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I do love it when people own their own bias, and I wish more people would do it.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 11:13 AM   #869
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post

You don't need to change facts to hate Tom Brady forever. Hatred of him comes as natural as oxygen.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 11:26 AM   #870
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Big game for the Lions today against the Ravens. First time they've been underdogs in a while and the hardest game left on their schedule. They've got significant injuries (particularly at CB & RB) but that is nothing new or remarkable, and they are getting some significant players back from injury as well.

I'm super nervous about this game, for all of the above concrete reasons, but also because it's hard for any Lions fan to stomach success and the team and/or Jared Goff seem just seem due for a bad day.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 12:08 PM   #871
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

This is as first world of a problem as could ever exist. But it is really annoying, as someone who has paid for SundayTicket, when the game I wanna watch is being shown in my local area. I have to watch it over the air on my crappy antenna. I understand the theory is that they want to steer me to the Local feed so they can sell more local mattress commercials. But I paid my money and I should be able to watch every game on Sunday ticket.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 12:28 PM   #872
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It is easy to forget how good healthy Lamar Jackson is
Old 10-22-2023, 12:47 PM   #873
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Just getting whooped.
Old 10-22-2023, 12:50 PM   #874
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The Commanders look to have forced a FG, but instead of 4th and Goal at the 2-3 yard line, they accepted a penalty to make it 3rd and goal at around the 15, and give up a fairly easy TD pass on the retaken 3rd down
Old 10-22-2023, 01:03 PM   #875
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
The Commanders look to have forced a FG, but instead of 4th and Goal at the 2-3 yard line, they accepted a penalty to make it 3rd and goal at around the 15, and give up a fairly easy TD pass on the retaken 3rd down

That’s where coaches not being afraid of 4th down has interesting downstream effects. They took the penalty because fourth and goal from the two is no longer a guaranteed field goal attempt.
Old 10-22-2023, 01:03 PM   #876
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

And we had multiple flag football tackle attempts on that Saquon Barkley TD
Old 10-22-2023, 01:04 PM   #877
GrantDawg

Watson is out hurt again.
Old 10-22-2023, 01:09 PM   #878
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Holy shit Myles Garrett.

Anyone that size and speed with that jumping ability is obviously a secret flubber user..
Old 10-22-2023, 01:27 PM   #879
GrantDawg

Bijan Robinson has barely touched the field today. People are absolutely melting down online about it. There has been no injury report or any indication of a reason. In the few snaps he has been out there, they haven't given him a touch. It is weird.
Old 10-22-2023, 01:29 PM   #880
GrantDawg

Looks like the best answer/guess is a pitch count.
Old 10-22-2023, 01:29 PM   #881
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Eberflus with the dumbest clock management I have ever seen. He is approaching Hue Jackson territory for bad NFL head coaches.
Old 10-22-2023, 01:44 PM   #882
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
Eberflus with the dumbest clock management I have ever seen. He is approaching Hue Jackson territory for bad NFL head coaches.

Thankfully for him hes going against an even worse coach. Going with mr. 0-12 for four different franchices over the last several season because all the fans want the rookie and he wants to prove himself right. I hope they fire McDaniels after the game.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 01:59 PM   #883
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Hooooooo yeah, we got a QB controversy in Chicago now.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 02:01 PM   #884
GrantDawg

Ridder just had his second lost fumble in the redzone in this game. This one with a first and goal at the half-line.
Old 10-22-2023, 02:12 PM   #885
Ksyrup

If you consider expectations prior to the trade and sign, I think you can make a pretty good argument that Cleveland's trade for Watson is worse than Denver's trade for Wilson. I mean, at least Denver couldn't know Wilson was washed. Watson, on the other hand, hadn't played a game in what, 18 months? No to mention his off-field baggage.

Denver's big mistake was extending Wilson with 2 years left on his deal.
Old 10-22-2023, 02:13 PM   #886
GrantDawg

Watson just needs to massage it out.
Old 10-22-2023, 02:16 PM   #887
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Minchew is the modern Fitzpatrick. He makes any game 25% more entertaining than it has any right to be.
Old 10-22-2023, 02:27 PM   #888
GrantDawg

There must have been a league memo to the Refs that they want refrees on the screen more, because there have been ticky-tack penalties called on both teams in this Falcons-Buccs on on almost every play. Incedental contact on recievers? Defensive holding. A block the impedes a player a milli-second too long? Offensive holding. Call flagrant stuff and let them play, especially when the ticky-tack crap didn't even effect the play.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 10-22-2023 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-22-2023, 02:32 PM   #889
GrantDawg

Lol:
Old 10-22-2023, 02:38 PM   #890
GrantDawg

Unbelievable. Ridder fumbles the ball as he enters the endzone! This is insane!
Old 10-22-2023, 02:42 PM   #891
Ksyrup

I want to murder Desmond Ridder.

But Intercepted!

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-22-2023 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-22-2023, 02:54 PM   #892
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I want to murder Desmond Ridder.

But Intercepted!
This isn't popular with the level of hate Ridder has in the Falcon's fandom, but only that last fumble one was on him. The first one the guy came untouched from behind and hit his arm as he was back to throw. That was more on the line. The second was a bad snap and Dalman has had several of those in this game.

Ridder has actually had a solid game barring that last fumble which was a complete brain-fart. The offense has moved the ball well both on the ground and in the air even without Robinson playing.
Old 10-22-2023, 03:04 PM   #893
molson
General Manager

The Patriots are going nowhere this season, but they won their Super Bowl today, and the Bills should be ashamed and embarrassed.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 03:04 PM   #894
bronconick
College Starter

Which playoff contender had a worse day- The Detroit Lions or the Buffalo Bills?
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 03:06 PM   #895
GrantDawg

Falcons win. What a crazy game.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 10-22-2023 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-22-2023, 03:08 PM   #896
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Which playoff contender had a worse day- The Detroit Lions or the Buffalo Bills?

Probably the Lions. They played a better team than the Bills did, but, they they just all-out crapped the bed. The Bills just got beat by a team playing a little over their heads.
Old 10-22-2023, 03:17 PM   #897
molson
General Manager

I'm enjoying the better defenses and worse offenses this season.
Old 10-22-2023, 03:23 PM   #898
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Oof that was a gut punch for the Lions. They didn't look like a playoff team.
Old 10-22-2023, 04:22 PM   #899
Thomkal
Head Coach

Internet has been down here so I couldn't comment on how surprised I was that CBS switched out of the Lions/Ravens so quickly in the 3rd quarter, but seems like the right thing now. That was a stinker for the Lions after everybody and anybody was believing in the Lions this season. Hope they can recover.
Old 10-22-2023, 04:32 PM   #900
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post

Bills. They lost to a 1 win team to fall to 4-3 in a division with the Dolphins. Lions lost to a playoff team to drop to 5-2 in a division of dogshit competition. Long season, the way they lost is definitely a concern, but in the big picture, this could be a distant memory by Christmas.