Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #901
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Who gets to the late game, anyway? :P
I would if it were more compelling. I'm generally always looking for a challenge, so I tend to play on the biggest map my computer can handle at the highest level I can compete at. I've increasingly found that by the late 20th century, the game is either won or lost and there's no point to continue. Usually the game becomes mired down once flight is discovered and it's just one war after another. I'd love for the late game to be meaningful.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #902
SackAttack
Head Coach

Hrm. I just saw in the help database where GMG distributed their keys for Mortal Kombat last week at UTC 2:00 on July 3. That'd be, um, 2 and a half hours from now if distribution time is the same for BNW.

There's no mention of Brave New World in the help database, though, so who knows.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #903
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I wouldn't trust any reviews from IGN. Here's a video review from someone who knows how to play Civ

Civilization 5: Brave New World REVIEW! - YouTube
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #904
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Civilization V: Brave New World review | PC Gamer
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #905
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like preload time is 11:00 PM CDT for me with release time being midnight.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #906
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure I can stay up that late night.. but I'm going to try.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #907
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I'll get around to playing something this weekend but in the meantime, I am looking forward to reading the civilopedia, watching tutorial and let's play videos and seeing people's hyped-up expectations hit reality.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #908
SackAttack
Head Coach

There's a preorder doodad on GMG that says "out 9th July," even. C'mon, guys. Key, please.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #909
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I normally wouldn't care when I got my key, but since it looks like I may be up at release time, I'd like to have what I paid for. I only went through GMG for the extra discount ... guess I may now know only buy things through GMG that I don't care about. They are cutting this way too close.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #910
SackAttack
Head Coach

+1
Old 07-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #911
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
I normally wouldn't care when I got my key, but since it looks like I may be up at release time, I'd like to have what I paid for. I only went through GMG for the extra discount ... guess I may now know only buy things through GMG that I don't care about. They are cutting this way too close.

Yeah, I bought through Steam just to make sure I got it. Not only that, but I usually don't buy many Day One releases, but I'm more than happy to give Sid Meier $10 extra just to show him some support and get it on time through Steam. I don't do that for many developers, but I'd do it for Sid in a heartbeat. Feel like I'm paying it forward. That guy has brought me more quality gaming hours in my lifetime than any other developer.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #912
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Yeah, I bought through Steam just to make sure I got it. Not only that, but I usually don't buy many Day One releases, but I'm more than happy to give Sid Meier $10 extra just to show him some support and get it on time through Steam. I don't do that for many developers, but I'd do it for Sid in a heartbeat. Feel like I'm paying it forward. That guy has brought me more quality gaming hours in my lifetime than any other developer.
Agreed. I even loved SimGolf! Not the crappy 1996 version, but the awesome 2002 version.

I should have gone the Steam route ... first and probably last GMG purchase. I don't buy a lot of games anyway so it's no loss for them. My budget-mindedness won out this time, but getting what I want when I want it will win out next time.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #913
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Agreed. I even loved SimGolf! Not the crappy 1996 version, but the awesome 2002 version.

I should have gone the Steam route ... first and probably last GMG purchase. I don't buy a lot of games anyway so it's no loss for them. My budget-mindedness won out this time, but getting what I want when I want it will win out next time.

GMG is great if you want to save 20-30% on a preorder, not so much if you want to play the game right away.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #914
RainMaker
General Manager

So how does it work with Steam on expansion packs? Does it just automatically update the title? Will I see it downloading? I purchased it but I don't see it listed anywhere. I must have gone through this with Gods and Kings but don't remember how it updated.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #915
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
So how does it work with Steam on expansion packs? Does it just automatically update the title? Will I see it downloading? I purchased it but I don't see it listed anywhere. I must have gone through this with Gods and Kings but don't remember how it updated.

I bought G&K retail and it just downloaded the stuff (and appended to the main EXE apparently; Civ IV, Beyond The Sword seems to be its own thing, but not Civ V and G&K).

This is my first digital purchase of a Civspansion.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:05 PM   #916
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

It just pops up and starts downloading. Nothing yet, but I'll keep looking back every three minutes.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:06 PM   #917
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Hmmm, running into an issue on Steam. Saw that BNW was unlocked, so I launched Civ V. In the DLC section, Brave New World Expansion Pack is there, but unchecked. I check the circle, but the check isn't sticking.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #918
Buccaneer
Head Coach

You may have to restart Steam a few times (for those waiting for it). It took me about 3 after before it kicked in. Download is less than 1gb so it should go pretty fast.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #919
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
It downloaded, so I'm doing a verify integrity of the local game cache.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #920
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Downloading now.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #921
RainMaker
General Manager

Downloading here now too. Have to close and restart it from what I saw.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #922
cartman
Death Herald

There we go. Verifying the cache fixed it.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #923
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Performing setup. 33 steps?????
Old 07-08-2013, 11:29 PM   #924
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Download took 9 minutes. Getting to step 14 took 17 minutes so far. Lol.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #925
cartman
Death Herald

These new trade routes are going to take some getting used to. It says I can establish trade routes, but I don't seem to be able to build a trade unit yet.

edit: ah, have to research Animal Husbandry first

Last edited by cartman : 07-08-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #926
SackAttack
Head Coach

/waits patiently for GMG to get its shit together

Their rep on the forum was claiming it'd be in by an hour before release.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #927
cartman
Death Herald

Only 50 turns into a first game as Venice. The trade routes still aren't making sense, and that is the biggest new thing I've seen so far. For Policies, there are several new trees, but it will be a while until they are unlocked for me.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #928
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Only 50 turns into a first game as Venice. The trade routes still aren't making sense, and that is the biggest new thing I've seen so far. For Policies, there are several new trees, but it will be a while until they are unlocked for me.
Venice sounds like a fun challenge but a difficult one out of the box. Interesting to hear how it works.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:03 AM   #929
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Venice sounds like a fun challenge but a difficult one out of the box. Interesting to hear how it works.

It is almost like a One City Challenge, except you can make City-States into puppets with Merchants of Venice. Just did that to one City-State.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:09 AM   #930
cartman
Death Herald

Barbarians seem to be "smarter" in this version. They will do better with healing, as well as upgrading their units.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:11 AM   #931
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Appears Gamersgate buyers are also code-less, so it's plaguing other retailers than just GMG. Is it a 2K problem, Steam trying to assert dominance, or incompetence?

Steam and GMG forums are in full meltdown mode.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #932
cartman
Death Herald

Ok, if I don't stop now, I'll be up until 6am. The changes are subtle, but intriguing. It is going to take a while to soak it all in.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:25 AM   #933
SackAttack
Head Coach

My code came in about 2 and a half hours ago, FYI. If you ordered from GMG, check your email; my account still doesn't have a code associated with it, but I got an email including it.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #934
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I got my code in my email a little before 4am CT. It doesn't show up in GMG unless I click download.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #935
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I left my pc on last night.. it's all loaded up and ready to go.

Will kick off a game tonight after soccer practice.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #936
SackAttack
Head Coach

I'm going back to bed for a few (if I had known GMG would be four hours late, I'd have gone to bed earlier), but I fucked around with BNW for about half an hour.

I...think the Shoshone are going to be my new favorite Civ to play.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #937
SackAttack
Head Coach

Also, per a press email I just got from 2K Games:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K Games
*Civilization V: Brave New World requires Civilization V to play and includes all gameplay content added in Civilization V: Gods & Kings except for the nine Civilizations and three scenarios that were included in Gods & Kings.

If you have vanilla Civ V and not Gods & Kings, you can skip straight to Brave New World unless you want the extra civs and scenarios (and pick up BNW in a Steam sale or something to get those civs cheap).
Old 07-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #938
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Fell asleep last night while playing the game. Did make it in a ways. Really like the changes to some of the victory conditions and how you achieve them. Gives you more options on how to win, which it didn't feel like it was quite as open before with G&K.

Playing some more now. Nothing like the one more turn influenza.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #939
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

It does feel like it's a bit harder to keep the civ happy. Going to have to play through a bit more to see if it's just this game or if things were adjusted slightly in the new expansion.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #940
kcchief19
Pro Starter

My first game is the opposite. I'm swimming in happiness, and that's usually a weakness of mine.

What's a bitch is defending trade routes. I've built three trade routes and had a barbarian pillage them within three turns each time. You have to eradicate barbarians to have trade routes.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #941
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Following every step of pre-release there were two major changes for those playing straight up strategy: removing the three gold exploits and changing the victory conditions to something less cheesy or boring. Now if they can dial back happiness and policies so we don't get so much of them, that will to decision making.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #942
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Still trying to figure out the trade route stuff. My bank account is suffering right now.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #943
Icy
Pro Starter

Damn, Steam release in Spain is in two days, hate this stuff about zones with Steam, first i had to pay it in Euros, paying a 30% more than in $, than i need to wait two more days :/

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #944
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Still trying to figure out the trade route stuff. My bank account is suffering right now.

It looks like you have to have a prospective partner (intra- or extra-civ) within a particular distance of the origination point or you can't assign the caravan to the route.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #945
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Following every step of pre-release there were two major changes for those playing straight up strategy: removing the three gold exploits and changing the victory conditions to something less cheesy or boring. Now if they can dial back happiness and policies so we don't get so much of them, that will to decision making.

Goes to show you how differently I play these games than lots of folks. I don't even know of one, much less three, gold exploit.

I tend to play on "king" difficulty level and it's usually a toss-up as to whether I win. I really enjoy the game and have put over 190 hours into it (according to Steam), but I think I'm a bit more casual about how I play.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #946
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
My fear is that it would be overly complicated, and it some ways it is. There a few too many caveats on when and who you can connect to and how many trade routes you can have.

My bigger pain is great artists. I had a great writer, but I only had a great artist slot. Sigh.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #947
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I'm going back to bed for a few (if I had known GMG would be four hours late, I'd have gone to bed earlier), but I fucked around with BNW for about half an hour.

I...think the Shoshone are going to be my new favorite Civ to play.
The Shoshone are evil bastards. I was friendly with them, then the asked me to join them in a war against the Aztecs. The Aztecs were on my eastern border and more powerful militarily than me, so I didn't really want to mess with them at the time.

Few turns later, I have a massive Shoshone army marching up my ass. They declare war even though there appeared to be no reason -- they didn't covet anything I wanted and they weren't ticked about anything. I had a diplomat in their capital, and he never saw this coming.

After they took my capital they offered me peace asking for two of my cities in return. I counter offered an unconditional peace and they took it. I've never seen the AI take a peace counter offer before. Nice.

Playing with the Shoshone next game. Can't beat them, join them.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #948
Thomkal
Head Coach

Some of the Yogscast gang take on Brave New World-one as the aforementioned Shoshone-another as France, and the third as Venice who makes some rather unfortunate decisions

Civ 5: Brave New World - Part 1 - Gotta have Faith - YouTube
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #949
cartman
Death Herald

It seems that if you want trade routes, you have to focus your military on barbarians. Forget about trying any kind of conquest.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #950
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

1 - Happiness seems much harder to come by.
2 - I'm thus far underwhelmed by trade routes.
3 - I think it's kinda neat that certain wonders can only be built if you pick a certain social policy.
4 - It's extremely minor, but I like the fact that iron is revealed with bronze working, instead of iron working.
5 - Those Egyptian sons of bitches are going down tonight. Got a map that started me on a good sized island with just me and Egypt. There can be only one.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 07-10-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote