Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-18-2007, 02:20 PM   #901
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
These were actually things that were negotiated in his last contract, but the university hadn't followed through with. Which is why he's trying to get out of his buyout. Also, the boosters offered to pay for the things, but they were denied the opportunity. I wouldn't call that being held hostage by demands.

My understanding is that everything you've said here is false.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:40 PM   #902
Scarecrow
College Prospect

PING: WVU Fans

Karma's a bitch, ain't it?

signed,
Kansas State University
Old 12-18-2007, 03:03 PM   #903
bhlloy
Coordinator

Interesting article on Yahoo that basically says that Ryan Mallet is screwed and won't see the field in Rodriguez's offense. If Pryor commits he will probably be the starter from day 1.

Thought it was an interesting counterpoint to whoever made the comment earlier in the thread (JIMGa maybe?) that players are morons to ever expect a coach to stick around for 4 years. While I agree to a point, it's also true that a change in coaching style can mean you just aren't going to see the field anymore, and that's tough. I can see why coaching stability is such a big factor for kids still when you think of it like that.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:11 PM   #904
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Interesting article on Yahoo that basically says that Ryan Mallet is screwed and won't see the field in Rodriguez's offense. If Pryor commits he will probably be the starter from day 1.

Thought it was an interesting counterpoint to whoever made the comment earlier in the thread (JIMGa maybe?) that players are morons to ever expect a coach to stick around for 4 years. While I agree to a point, it's also true that a change in coaching style can mean you just aren't going to see the field anymore, and that's tough. I can see why coaching stability is such a big factor for kids still when you think of it like that.

I agree, and the coaching carousel in college football the last 4-5 years has gotten out of control. With that being said, look for Mallet to transfer out of Michigan if Pryor commits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:16 PM   #905
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
My understanding is that everything you've said here is false.

Just going from this article here:

Source: Attorneys to contest ex-coach having to pay $4M to WVU

Attorneys for former West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez are planning to argue against Rodriguez having to pay the university a $4 million buyout, claiming he was "fraudulently induced to sign a contract with false promises."

Ken Kendrick, a primary West Virginia athletics donor and close friend of Rodriguez, said Tuesday he had knowledge of lawyers' intentions to contest the buyout.
"I will be a witness to any and all proceedings that occur," said Kendrick, who is the managing general partner of Major League Baseball's Arizona Diamondbacks. "They baited and switched him. Rich was boxed in by a university and athletic department that was arrogant, mean-spirited and intellectually bankrupt.
"How can someone like me now commit money to this university?"
In a statement Tuesday, the chairman of WVU's Board of Governors said "WVU went to the ends of the earth to keep the coach here."
Kendrick read from a copy of a document of promises he said were agreed to when Rodriguez signed his new West Virginia contract before this season. Among the promises Kendrick said were not met:
• Allowing players to keep textbooks for resale, a practice that occurs at some other schools.
• Waiving a $5 charge for high school coaches to attend Mountaineers games.
• Having authority over distribution of sideline passes. Kendrick said Rodriguez "negotiated" one for his wife, Rita.
• Having authority to allocate funds from the 1100 Club for coaches.
• A committment to increase pay for his assistant coaches.
• Additional money to pay graduate assistants.
• Hiring an additional recruiting assistant.
"I believe Rich will have a strong case against the university," Kendrick said. "They should and will fight the university. How could this happen?"
Kendrick said he and other donors stated they would fund the requests but their offer was denied.
"This was 100 percent preventable, which is what makes it so sad," Kendrick said. "He was frustrated. Things weren't getting done. He'd never say it because he's a class act. So I'll say it."
Stephen Goodwin, chairman of WVU's Board of Governors, expressed support for how athletic director Ed Pastilong and WVU president Mike Garrison have handled the coaching situation and said the university listened to others' suggestions.
"WVU went to the ends of the earth to keep the coach here -- and clearly, some of our major donors assisted the school in that effort," Goodwin said. "There were some very minor issues that [Rodriguez] raised with the administration -- and people were working on them. I think you will agree that the things that are being talked about are pretty minor in comparison to what has been done already.
"But he clearly was looking for an excuse to leave -- he looked last year, and again this year.
"But when he went to visit [Michigan], and then came back to campus with demands based on those minor issues -- university officials simply told him they would continue to work the issues," Goodwin said. "He was asked to focus on the student athletes and the upcoming bowl game. There's a long offseason coming up to work out those sorts of minor issues. Whoever comes in as coach will know that they can count on support from WVU on big issues and small issues."
During Rodriguez's tenure with the program, Goodwin said the university increased his salary by 70 percent, raised the salaries of his assistants, built a $2 million academic center for the team and commenced construction on a $6 million locker room renovation.
"That loss to Pittsburgh [in West Virginia's final regular-season game, denying it a berth in the BCS Championship] was bad. But seeing what it would take to win in light of the items yet to be resolved, he began to see it in a sinister way," Kendrick said. "He had made an impassioned plea for what he needed. And they had stiffed him. He felt he had no support and had no choice but to leave."
Kendrick said former West Virginia basketball coach John Beilein had his buyout negotiated down from $2.5 million to $1.5 million after last season, in part, because WVU had failed to deliver on promises.
Beilein now coaches Michigan.
"At the end of the day, the university is governed by its board and its president, and the people they appoint to positions of responsibility," Goodwin said in his statement. "Making donations to a public university does not entitle anyone to dictate policy or personnel."
Rodriguez's departure has created hard feelings around the state.
The Associated Press reported Tuesday that signs proclaiming Grant Town, population of less than 1,000, as the hometown of Rodriguez have come down by order of Mayor Robert Riggs.
Riggs said Tuesday he wasn't doing it out of anger, but to pre-empt vandalism or theft by outraged Mountaineers fans, the AP reported. Grant Town is about 20 miles west from West Virginia's Morgantown campus. The signs are in storage, and Riggs said he plans to return them to the resident who originally paid to have them installed.
Even West Virginia's governor had something to say about Rodriguez's departure. Gov. Joe Manchin, a fellow Marion County native, said the coach is a "victim" of high-priced sports agents. A shop that sells cemetery memorials in Charleston put the words "Coach Rodriguez" on one of the headstones displayed in a shop window.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3159677
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:20 PM   #906
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Yep, that point was mine.

Quote:
I can see why coaching stability is such a big factor for kids still when you think of it like that.

Having the coach be your dad or father-in-law would also be a pretty big factor too ... but it doesn't happen all that often either
Old 12-18-2007, 03:22 PM   #907
Atocep
Coordinator

1.) Like I said, Kendrick and Reynolds are not unbiased observers.

2.) I itemized most of those with comments.

3.) That was originally written by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazzette by a writer that hasn't exactly been kind to the Mountaineers. He was led to those sources for the soul purpose of writing a biased article.

If anyone has breached the agreement between him and the university it was Rich Rodriguez. He didn't actually sign his contract that was agreed to last December or so until August 24th. From December until then he was in a power struggle with the AD trying to get as much added to it as possible, well beyond what was orginially agreed to.

There is over $10 million in improvements to facilities in the works right now at WVU that were part of the agreement with RR. This is all PR on his part. He wants out of the buyout and is hoping the university decides it doesn't want to go to court over it and backs down like they did with Beilein.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:23 PM   #908
timmynausea
College Starter

I'm familiar with the story. It's all posturing to get out of the buyout. That booster is just going by Rich's side of the story, and the common belief is that Rich's lawyer put the booster in touch with the journalist to get all of this going.

Maybe WVU should feel big time, though. We've finally got the donors badmouthing the school in the press and trying to call the shots.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:44 PM   #909
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
I'm familiar with the story. It's all posturing to get out of the buyout. That booster is just going by Rich's side of the story, and the common belief is that Rich's lawyer put the booster in touch with the journalist to get all of this going.

Maybe WVU should feel big time, though. We've finally got the donors badmouthing the school in the press and trying to call the shots.

This is all incredibly ugly, and even as a Michigan fan I would not wish this upon any school (well...........except for Ohio State). I hate you Sweater Vest!!!

Quote:
Old 12-18-2007, 03:49 PM   #910
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned in here, but during my lunch break today, I heard that Arkansas's top QB recruit has backed out of his committment to Arkansas and said it was because he feels that he can't trust Petino and that Petino's reputation was too tarnished. He said he will probably go to BC instead. I'm looking for links now, but did anyone else hear that?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:58 PM   #911
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned in here, but during my lunch break today, I heard that Arkansas's top QB recruit has backed out of his committment to Arkansas and said it was because he feels that he can't trust Petino and that Petino's reputation was too tarnished. He said he will probably go to BC instead. I'm looking for links now, but did anyone else hear that?

I think I heard a rumor about that a few days ago. It wouldn't surprise me. Petrino made his bed, now he can sleep in it.

Quote:
Old 12-18-2007, 04:04 PM   #912
bhlloy
Coordinator

from ESPN.com via the wearesc website:

Quote:
Ugo Okpara drops Arkansas for Boston College, cites Petrino

Cornerback Ugo Okpara switched his commitment from Arkansas to Boston College because of the Razorbacks coaching situation, the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reports. "I chose Boston College because I felt out of the three schools [Arkansas, B.C., and Missouri], that's where I felt most comfortable at and where I was the best fit." He continued, "The problem with Arkansas was the reputation of coach [Bobby] Petrino leaving during the season. And not staying there and his name not being highly thought of like when he was Louisville. I didn't want to play ball for a coach that had a reputation like that. That kind of drove me away from Arkansas."

The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette also reported that Petrino had an in-home visit with Adams and his family this past couple of days.

Hopefully Petrino's actions this past week speak louder than his words.

26th ranked CB in the country according to scout. Not a huge loss. Mind you, looking at Houston Nutt's class so far this year, I'm not sure Petrino can do any worse. Not a single guy ranked in the top 10 at his position.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:05 PM   #913
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Looks like a CB:

Brian Gates
Rivals.com Football Recruiting
Talk about it in The Razor's Edge

Sugar Land (Texas) Dulles cornerback Ugo Okpara committed to Arkansas in July. However, the coaching change for the Razorbacks caused the three-star rated prospect to re-think his verbal commitment and take a couple visits in December.

The 6-foot-1, 175-pounder visited Boston College the weekend of Dec. 7 and followed that up with a visit to Missouri (Dec. 14).

"When Coach Nutt left Arkansas and went to Ole Miss and the recruiting coordinator went with him, I think it's best for me to open things up," Okpara said earlier this month in an interview with PowerMizzou.com. "I sat down with my parents and they said to stay committed, but look around and make sure that I make the right decision. I was really surprised that it happened. After they beat LSU, I thought he'd stay, but it was quite a surprise to me. I've just got to deal with what it is, so I'll have to see what happens with them and make the right decision for me."

The "right decision" was made on Sunday.

"I have made my decision already but it's too late to call the coaches so I will call them tomorrow," Okpara said via text message to Rivals.com Sunday night. "I have made my decision already but it's too late to call the coaches so I will call them (Monday)."

Monday's call made the switch official for the No. 59 ranked player in the Lone Star State.

"I want to call the coaches at the school when my parents are home," he said Monday afternoon via another text message. "I just told the school I wanted to go to, that I want to commit.

"I just committed to Boston College"

Okpara becomes the 23rd member of the Eagles' 2008 recruiting class.

Last edited by vex : 12-18-2007 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:06 PM   #914
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Also:

Trey Biddy
HawgSports.com Publisher
Talk about it in The Razor's Edge

When Abbeville (La.) linebacker Jelani Smith, 6-foot-1, 210 pounds, committed to Arkansas in June after an unofficial visit, he did not anticipate so much change at the UA.

Since his commitment, Arkansas and former coach Houston Nutt have parted ways. Nutt is now the head coach at Ole Miss, and Arkansas just hired Bobby Petrino away from the NFL's Atlanta Falcons.

"I'd been hearing it. It wasn't a shock," Smith said of Nutt resigning. "It didn't really bother me, but the thing was, when I got my scholarship offer, and I was with the coaches, they made me feel welcome. Now I'm going to be meeting a whole new staff. It's kind of bothersome. It's frustrating overall."

Smith said he is still committed to the Razorbacks but has been hearing from Oklahoma State and others. Despite missing two games with a bone contusion in his knee (bone bruise), Smith registered 105 tackles, 10 tackles for negative yardage, 4 forced fumbles and 2 sacks.

As for the new coach, Smith likes that Petrino has an NFL background, but he does not like what he has heard about the new head Hog.

"I hear Petrino's a good coach, but when you turn on ESPN, it's like people dogging him out and all that. I can't really give any comment on that until I meet him, but it's a coach from the NFL," Smith said. "The stuff I've been hearing on ESPN is that he's not a character coach and all that, but I'm not going to ever know that until I meet him, so I'm just ready to get up there and meet him. But I hope he keeps Coach Herring for defense since that's my linebacker coach."

And if Herring does not remain on staff?

"I'm staying committed to Arkansas, but I'm keeping an open eye out."

Smith was reassured by UA assistant Bobby Allen that his scholarship with Arkansas remained after Nutt resigned, and Petrino has said he hopes to keep all 19 prospects committed. Smith is scheduled to take an official visit to Arkansas on Jan. 18. He is also working out the details with an invitation to play in the Texas-Louisiana All-Star Game, also known as the Bayou Bowl.

Last edited by vex : 12-18-2007 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:10 PM   #915
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Another quote from Okpara on Rivals:

The situation and coaching change at Arkansas was not the right fit, Okpara said. Nutt left for Ole Miss and former Atlanta Falcons coach Bobby Petrino was hired. Petrino surprisingly left the Falcons barely 24 hours after coaching them on Monday Night Football last week and was hired Tuesday by the Razorbacks.

"Coach (Petrino) is a great guy but the fact of him having the reputation of doing that," Okpara said. "If he did it once it could happen again. If it happened again, I'd rather not be one of the players in the midst with a coach leaving without any warning. If it was a staff I didn't particularly like I'd have to leave and transfer out.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:23 PM   #916
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Thanks. Those were the exact quotes I heard on the radio today, so that must have been the guy.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:52 PM   #917
Atocep
Coordinator

The good news for WVU is Noel Devine said today that he's staying put. Jock Sanders was considering a transfer until Rich Rodriguez left and now he's staying. Those were the two that worried me.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:08 PM   #918
MrBug708
Head Coach

Latest UCLA rumor is that Rick Neuheisel is trying to sell Norm Chow on being his OC with Walker staying as the DC. Supposedly Chow isn't enamored with lack of teaching ability in the NFL and might look to go back to the college game
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:16 PM   #919
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Latest UCLA rumor is that Rick Neuheisel is trying to sell Norm Chow on being his OC with Walker staying as the DC. Supposedly Chow isn't enamored with lack of teaching ability in the NFL and might look to go back to the college game
That would be an impressive grouping. If Neuheisel has learned to ratchet back his rule-breaking and is willing to listen to his staff more when it comes to who to target in recruiting, that could be an awesome combo of coaching talent. It would also likely be quite expensive - I'm not sure if UCLA is prepared to spend what it would probably cost to have all those guys in the fold.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:17 PM   #920
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
That would be an impressive grouping. If Neuheisel has learned to ratchet back his rule-breaking and is willing to listen to his staff more when it comes to who to target in recruiting, that could be an awesome combo of coaching talent. It would also likely be quite expensive - I'm not sure if UCLA is prepared to spend what it would probably cost to have all those guys in the fold.

I seriously doubt it will happen. But it seems like Rick would take a lot less money to be a head coach so you never know
Old 12-18-2007, 05:17 PM   #921
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You don't want Saban but yet at the same time you like Huggins?

Yeah, I don;t want BOTH ouer coaches to be problems. I mean, one Huggins is okay, but can you imagine is you have Higgins AND Saban at the same time? Ick.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:31 PM   #922
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety View Post
Yeah, I don;t want BOTH ouer coaches to be problems. I mean, one Huggins is okay, but can you imagine is you have Higgins AND Saban at the same time? Ick.

Good point.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:45 PM   #923
MrBug708
Head Coach

Mooch also supposedly had a second interview today
Old 12-18-2007, 05:54 PM   #924
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I seriously doubt it will happen. But it seems like Rick would take a lot less money to be a head coach so you never know
Well, that combo scares me as a UW fan.

I also hope it doesn't happen because I'd like Walker to be a potential DC hire at the UW - we could offer him as much or more money than he was making at UCLA, and combined with the lower cost of living up here could make it an attractive stop for Walker, even considering Ty is on an extremely hot seat and might be out of a job after next year.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:57 PM   #925
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:

Um, no hardly a top recruit and not a QB. The guy you are thinking of is a DB. One we wanted, but definitely not a top recruit. ESPN would sure like you to think that, though. They ran with that as soon as they found out. Of course, they won't mention the several that have committed to us since the hire that weren't before as well as the one that is committed to USC that is reconsidering now.

Last edited by MJ4H : 12-18-2007 at 05:59 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:05 PM   #926
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
Um, no hardly a top recruit and not a QB. The guy you are thinking of is a DB. One we wanted, but definitely not a top recruit. ESPN would sure like you to think that, though. They ran with that as soon as they found out. Of course, they won't mention the several that have committed to us since the hire that weren't before as well as the one that is committed to USC that is reconsidering now.

Look above.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:05 PM   #927
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Well, that combo scares me as a UW fan.

I also hope it doesn't happen because I'd like Walker to be a potential DC hire at the UW - we could offer him as much or more money than he was making at UCLA, and combined with the lower cost of living up here could make it an attractive stop for Walker, even considering Ty is on an extremely hot seat and might be out of a job after next year.

I know Walker had an LSU representative approach him for the DC position at LSU. But from all reports, Walker wants to stay at UCLA
Old 12-18-2007, 06:16 PM   #928
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Look above.

I did.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:19 PM   #929
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
I think I heard a rumor about that a few days ago. It wouldn't surprise me. Petrino made his bed, now he can sleep in it.

Since it just happened last night, you probably are thinking of a different "rumor."
Old 12-18-2007, 06:19 PM   #930
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I know Walker had an LSU representative approach him for the DC position at LSU. But from all reports, Walker wants to stay at UCLA
Well, if he doesn't get the head job and the guy that does doesn't want to retain him for some reason, I'm sure he'll have a lot of options.

Maybe it's a long shot to hope he'd come to the UW. On the other hand, as noted, he'd probably get a bump in his standard of living (probably higher salary, lower cost of living), he'd be able to stay on the West Coast where he's spent a lot of his career. And even Ty's tenuous situation might not be a bad thing - he'd be a potential UW head coach candidate if Ty were fired, he'd be able to burnish his rep by improving the UW defensive results (hard not to do considering this past year was the worst in yards per game in Husky history) and he'd be in potentially a good position again next year to interview for other head coaching jobs.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:30 PM   #931
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:

I know they picked UP a QB named Tyler Wilson who mizzou wanted, so hes not going to too upset if he did lose some other QB
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:45 PM   #932
MJ4H
Coordinator

Tyler Wilson was a big pick-up to me. We do have plenty of QBs coming right now, and there is even a school of thought that Ryan Mallet could transfer back from Michigan since a lot of people think he won't fit too well with Rich Rodriguez's system. I don't personally subscribe to that theory, but it could happen (even old Kirk Herbstreit said this is what Mallet *should* do).
Old 12-18-2007, 06:47 PM   #933
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
I know they picked UP a QB named Tyler Wilson who mizzou wanted, so hes not going to too upset if he did lose some other QB

Oh Tyler Wilson decommitted from Tulsa after Petrino visited him. I think Missouri might have offered to him (along with a host of other big name schools including LSU, Nebraska, and Arizona from memory).

Last edited by MJ4H : 12-18-2007 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:48 PM   #934
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Well, if he doesn't get the head job and the guy that does doesn't want to retain him for some reason, I'm sure he'll have a lot of options.

My understanding of the situation is that the AD isn't giving whoever is hired an option on retaining Walker. Given how good the current recruiting class is, and the fact that half of the defensive guys might walk if Walker goes, that is a very smart move IMO.

The only way I think Walker leaves is if he's offered a great HC job elsewhere (WVU would seem to be the last one available and that's not going to happen) or if he's really pissed that he didn't get the UCLA job. And he already knows he isn't getting the UCLA job and hasn't made any noises about leaving.

The Neuheisel-Walker-Chow combination on paper scares the hell out of me, but I think it would end up being a disaster. Both co-ordinators would be potentially better head coaches than the head coach himself, and that doesn't seem to be a good recipe for harmony.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:50 PM   #935
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Tyler Wilson was a big pick-up to me. We do have plenty of QBs coming right now, and there is even a school of thought that Ryan Mallet could transfer back from Michigan since a lot of people think he won't fit too well with Rich Rodriguez's system. I don't personally subscribe to that theory, but it could happen (even old Kirk Herbstreit said this is what Mallet *should* do).

It depends on what version of his offense Rich Rodriguez wants to run. His personal choice seems to be the spread option, but the offense can absolutely be used as a pass heavy offense and he has used it that way in the past.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:51 PM   #936
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:

That is an intriguing possibility.

The ironic thing is that it is now the perfect situation in Arkansas for Mitch Mustain, for the school and him personally. He wouldn't have to battle Mark Sanchez/Aaron Corp for the starting position and he seems like a perfect Petrino-style QB. I don't know whether he would be welcomed back now Nutt has gone, or if he is still hated around those parts?
Old 12-18-2007, 06:53 PM   #937
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
That is an intriguing possibility.

The ironic thing is that it is now the perfect situation in Arkansas for Mitch Mustain, for the school and him personally. He wouldn't have to battle Mark Sanchez/Aaron Corp for the starting position and he seems like a perfect Petrino-style QB. I don't know whether he would be welcomed back now Nutt has gone, or if he is still hated around those parts?

We certainly don't hate him. Everyone (or nearly everyone, there are idiots here, too, not surprisingly) really wants him to succeed at USC. We understand he was crapped on pretty hard by Houston Nutt and don't really blame him for leaving. We would welcome him back in a heartbeat, but we also know it isn't happening. Much better shot for Mallet, but I don't think that will happen either. Thanks, again, Houston.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:56 PM   #938
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
It depends on what version of his offense Rich Rodriguez wants to run. His personal choice seems to be the spread option, but the offense can absolutely be used as a pass heavy offense and he has used it that way in the past.

This is sort of what I was thinking, too. I hear that RR told that big name 5 star recruit (can't remember his name) that is supposed to be Vince Young, Jr. that if he followed him to Michigan that he would be a guaranteed starter, though. I know he may say whatever he needs to to get him to come (harr!!), but if that is true, RM may want to transfer. Most here believe Nutt and his pee-wee passing game and knack for "developing" QBs are why Mallet didn't stay in state.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:33 PM   #939
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh Tyler Wilson decommitted from Tulsa after Petrino visited him. I think Missouri might have offered to him (along with a host of other big name schools including LSU, Nebraska, and Arizona from memory).

Wilson had it down to Mizzou and Tulsa, and picked tulsa the first time...he wanted to play in a passing attack, hence why he avoid hometown arkansas the first time. Apparently Petrino convinced him the ball is going into the air.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:23 PM   #940
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Kendrick and Reynolds (the two boosters) are both big Rich Rodriguez guys and haven't spoken with the AD at all since Rodriguez left, they just have his side of the story.

Here's the demands according to them:

The first one is funny since just 10 months ago he negotiated a raise for his assistants and a large one for himself. He could have negotiated BCS bonuses then, but didn't. However, this is probably the most realistic of the demands and probably could have happened.

The second one is a borderline NCAA violation.

The third one is grasping for straws. Every NCAA university has a similar fee for high school coaches attending home games. Its not some special fee that WVU came up with nor do High School coaches care much about it.

As for the last one, there's a limit to the number of coaches a staff can carry and with the big raises he got for himself and the coaching staff after he flirted with Alabama funds at WVU were running very low.

• Allow at least an additional $100,000 in bonus money for his assistants.
• Allow scholarship players to retain possession of textbooks at the end of each term, which meant they could have sold them, as apparently happens at other programs.
• Waive a $5 ticket fee for each high-school football coach attending Mountaineer home games, a fee that generates an estimated $5,000 for the university each season.
• Hire seven graduate assistants and a new recruiting coordinator, to ease the duties performed by secondary coach Tony Gibson.

As more and more info becomes available it seems that Rich Rodriguez may have contacted Michigan before the Pitt game to express interest in the job. It is a fact that he went to Toledo to speak with Michigan without telling anyone in the Athletic Department, so there were no requests on his end before talking to Michigan.

After dealing with him and Alabama last year and having a new academic center and major upgrades to the locker room in place at his request, the Athletic Department got sick of dealing with a guy working at his dream job that continued to hold the university hostage at every opportunity. Also, if you check Swagg's post from earlier in the thread you'll see what is probably much closer to the demands he made and with a cash strapped athletic department they simply weren't realistic.

Rich Rodriguez got used to getting what he wanted when asked and when it came time to actually wait for the things he requested to get built in order to free up more money he just kept asking for more. The AD and the boosters that have been a part of WVU football for a long time and actually are heavily involved in the university as a whole got sick of having to deal with him and the constant power struggle with him.

The bonus money, bleh I dont care about, but it does come across as tacky

The text book is common practice and happens at every NCAA school I am aware of. (I know for a fact that Clemson, South Carolina, UGA, GT, FSU, Tenn, and NCSU all do this)

Also all SC HS coaches get in for free to all Clemson games that are not a sell out. Granted that aint manybut their arent any $5 tickets either

GAs dont cost Jack. My 2nd year as a GA I made a whopping salary of $12,000 and worked probably 65 hours/week. Even 7 more wouldnt hurt WVU
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:23 PM   #941
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

somehow my post got split, dola I suppose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Rutgers' terrible teams has a lot to do with what I was originally referring to by Schiano staying put to build a solid foundation. Nothing more, nothing less. If you say that there is talent in the area, then I believe you because I have not been there nor am I familiar with it. As for my ignorance, I would not label it as such, rather I would call it a lack of knowledge as I am not familiar with the situation from a close up perspective. We all make assumptions about things, and nobody knows everything about anything, so I am not wrong for doing some 'guesstimating" (word?). I am not out to offend people, rather just give my worthless 2 cents. As far as my following of Michigan, it is true that I have not been able to watch as much of them as I used to, but I am still very familiar with their program and coaching style. I have followed them since I was a small boy, and until this RR hire not much has changed in their philosphy.

At this point I am not sure if you are bing obtuse, purely argumentative or are just plain stupid.

#1 The past HAS ZERO relevence with the FSU comparison, if anything it actually hurts your position in the debate. FSU had arguably the worst facilities in the country when BB took over (well into the 80s they practiced on th baseball field with perma bases installed) and the stunk. Now some 3 decades later they are (or were) a perennial powerhouse and the field is named after BB, it is a greeat job. Rutgers in 2005 is VERY much like FSU in 1980. If Schianno has 10 or 15 years like BB has he will be a legend no one can deny. If hee gopes and wins at Michigan he is just a good coach that restorred a storied program. he accomplished nothing he just revealeed the potential.

#2 When you are uneducateed about someething, by definition you are ignorant. You say I am not ignorant but I have a lack of knowledge. by definition ignorance is a lack of knowledge. You werent called stupid you were called ignorant, which you go into great painstaking detail to prove. It is not an offensive term when used in an intelligent manner as it was in this thread.

Im sorry if this comes across as an attack, I dont mean it that way, but it appeears to me you are being argumentative for the sake of it.

Quote:
The Rodriguez PR campaign to get out of the $4 million buyout is underway. Its really sad to see the shit coming from his side of story. Some of it is just ridiculous.

With that said, there's been an incredible amount of interest in the job from what I've heard. Al Grobe and Chris Peterson have reportedly sent out feelers, Terry Bowden is doing everything in his power to get the job, Tricket wants the job, Foster is interested, and Holiday is interested. Along with a few others.

The only problem right now is Rich Rodriguez continuing to try and pass himself off as the victim has apparently split some of the boosters and there probably won't be as much money around to hire a coach as RR had.

quote=Anxiety;1618711]Terry Bowden is a bad choice, but I understand why the Mountaineers are interested in him. Nick Saban is a big name, but even if he were interested, we can;t get that kind of a bad name for our team. Go elsewhere!

I want good college minds, not recruiters with bad karma. Grobe, for example, is a good choice.

To be fair, like the guy pointed out, our AD hired Rich Rod, Jim Belien and Bob Huggins, so in Ed I trust. Look beyond the obvious Terry Bowden and go deeper.

-Abe[/quote]

So I can contribute to thiss discussion, who ae we talking about? Al Groh or Jim Grobe. Grobe would be a coup for WVU Groh would be comical. IMHO Jim Grobe may well be one of the top 5 coaches in college football. Al Groh maybe be on the opposite end.

Quote:
Kendrick and Reynolds (the two boosters) are both big Rich Rodriguez guys and haven't spoken with the AD at all since Rodriguez left, they just have his side of the story.

Here's the demands according to them:

The first one is funny since just 10 months ago he negotiated a raise for his assistants and a large one for himself. He could have negotiated BCS bonuses then, but didn't. However, this is probably the most realistic of the demands and probably could have happened.

The second one is a borderline NCAA violation.

The third one is grasping for straws. Every NCAA university has a similar fee for high school coaches attending home games. Its not some special fee that WVU came up with nor do High School coaches care much about it.

As for the last one, there's a limit to the number of coaches a staff can carry and with the big raises he got for himself and the coaching staff after he flirted with Alabama funds at WVU were running very low.

As more and more info becomes available it seems that Rich Rodriguez may have contacted Michigan before the Pitt game to express interest in the job. It is a fact that he went to Toledo to speak with Michigan without telling anyone in the Athletic Department, so there were no requests on his end before talking to Michigan.

After dealing with him and Alabama last year and having a new academic center and major upgrades to the locker room in place at his request, the Athletic Department got sick of dealing with a guy working at his dream job that continued to hold the university hostage at every opportunity. Also, if you check Swagg's post from earlier in the thread you'll see what is probably much closer to the demands he made and with a cash strapped athletic department they simply weren't realistic.

Rich Rodriguez got used to getting what he wanted when asked and when it came time to actually wait for the things he requested to get built in order to free up more money he just kept asking for more. The AD and the boosters that have been a part of WVU football for a long time and actually are heavily involved in the university as a whole got sick of having to deal with him and the constant power struggle with him.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:19 PM   #942
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Most here believe Nutt and his pee-wee passing game and knack for "developing" QBs are why Mallet didn't stay in state.

So what does Nutt have to do with Mallet not staying in Texas?
Old 12-18-2007, 09:23 PM   #943
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
somehow my post got split, dola I suppose?

At this point I am not sure if you are bing obtuse, purely argumentative or are just plain stupid.

#1 The past HAS ZERO relevence with the FSU comparison, if anything it actually hurts your position in the debate. FSU had arguably the worst facilities in the country when BB took over (well into the 80s they practiced on th baseball field with perma bases installed) and the stunk. Now some 3 decades later they are (or were) a perennial powerhouse and the field is named after BB, it is a greeat job. Rutgers in 2005 is VERY much like FSU in 1980. If Schianno has 10 or 15 years like BB has he will be a legend no one can deny. If hee gopes and wins at Michigan he is just a good coach that restorred a storied program. he accomplished nothing he just revealeed the potential.

#2 When you are uneducateed about someething, by definition you are ignorant. You say I am not ignorant but I have a lack of knowledge. by definition ignorance is a lack of knowledge. You werent called stupid you were called ignorant, which you go into great painstaking detail to prove. It is not an offensive term when used in an intelligent manner as it was in this thread.

Im sorry if this comes across as an attack, I dont mean it that way, but it appeears to me you are being argumentative for the sake of it.

quote=Anxiety;1618711]Terry Bowden is a bad choice, but I understand why the Mountaineers are interested in him. Nick Saban is a big name, but even if he were interested, we can;t get that kind of a bad name for our team. Go elsewhere!

I want good college minds, not recruiters with bad karma. Grobe, for example, is a good choice.

To be fair, like the guy pointed out, our AD hired Rich Rod, Jim Belien and Bob Huggins, so in Ed I trust. Look beyond the obvious Terry Bowden and go deeper.

-Abe

So I can contribute to thiss discussion, who ae we talking about? Al Groh or Jim Grobe. Grobe would be a coup for WVU Groh would be comical. IMHO Jim Grobe may well be one of the top 5 coaches in college football. Al Groh maybe be on the opposite end.[/quote]

Grobe is from WV. Groh isn't, as far a I recall. I'm only referring to one here. Again, I don;t if some of you realize the coaching talent that WV has connected to it, and Grobe is both from WV and a interested. You'd be an idiot not to interview him. Hell, barring anything else, I'd hire him. Again, I understand the Terry Bowden temptation, since he's an actual alum, played on the WVU football team and all, but still.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:28 PM   #944
Atocep
Coordinator

Well, it appears the Rich Rodriguez drama is over. His resignation has been moved up to midnight tonight which means we'll be naming a new head coach sometime this week.

Early word is that its Bowden, but its speculation at this point. He did interview either today or yesterday and as far as I know they've only completed 2-3 interviews so the list of people it could be is pretty small. I also assume that this means we're getting our buyout money.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:31 PM   #945
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that if we came out of this season with Grobe instead of Rich Rod, we upgraded. There are very few I;d say that of.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:32 PM   #946
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, it appears the Rich Rodriguez drama is over. His resignation has been moved up to midnight tonight which means we'll be naming a new head coach sometime this week.

Early word is that its Bowden, but its speculation at this point. He did interview either today or yesterday and as far as I know they've only completed 2-3 interviews so the list of people it could be is pretty small. I also assume that this means we're getting our buyout money.

In the future we need to negotiate double buyout clauses for U of M. 2 million buyout, unless you are going to Michigan, then its 4!

-Abe

Old 12-18-2007, 09:34 PM   #947
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
In the future we need to negotiate double buyout clauses for U of M. 2 million buyout, unless you are going to Michigan, then its 4!

-Abe

We need a Michigan poison pill. "If you coach more than 3 games per year in a state starts with a M and ends with ICHIGAN then said buyout is raised to $1 billion. Cash."

To add to the above post, there's chance its Doc Holliday but all signs point to Bowden.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:40 PM   #948
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
So what does Nutt have to do with Mallet not staying in Texas?

I couldnt figure this out either, as he kept mentioning mallet transferring back...but mallet has no connection to the program or the state that im aware of
Demotivation
Old 12-18-2007, 09:48 PM   #949
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
In fact, I'd go so far as to say that if we came out of this season with Grobe instead of Rich Rod, we upgraded. There are very few I;d say that of.

Agree and agree.

BTW sorry not sure what happened to my post above it came out all FUBAR'D

Grobe would be a coup for WVU
Old 12-18-2007, 10:09 PM   #950
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
I couldnt figure this out either, as he kept mentioning mallet transferring back...but mallet has no connection to the program or the state that im aware of

Mallett is actually from Texarkana, right on the border of Arkansas and Texas. His actual hometown is Texarkana, Arkansas, but he went to school in Texarkana, Texas. So although, he associated as a Texas High School player, he technically is from Arkansas.
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote