Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-30-2010, 07:05 PM   #901
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I think he was mentioned as a dt..but I doubt its accurate

Mike Thornton maybe? Wouldn't be a surprise there IMO, he's been pretty wide open afaik.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:05 PM   #902
bhlloy
Coordinator

Signs point to it being Thornton but the school is basically forbidding any recruiting sites naming the players on campus so nobody is quite sure who is there right now.

Nickell Robey definitely got on a flight to SC and sounds like he might be ours to lose, I really want this kid. If he was 5'11 he'd be a top 5 recruit nationally, he's an absolute baller with speed to burn and he can hit as well. Even if he only returns kicks and is a nickel package corner he'll make a huge impact.

The Ambles soap opera continues, he's at Tennessee this week and also heard a rumor that he's leaning towards UNC. Either team can have him as far as I'm concerned. No matter how talented he is I don't want him at SC, especially with Woods and Prater and the WR class in Cali next season.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:08 PM   #903
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Signs point to it being Thornton but the school is basically forbidding any recruiting sites naming the players on campus so nobody is quite sure who is there right now.

Nickell Robey definitely got on a flight to SC and sounds like he might be ours to lose, I really want this kid. If he was 5'11 he'd be a top 5 recruit nationally, he's an absolute baller with speed to burn and he can hit as well. Even if he only returns kicks and is a nickel package corner he'll make a huge impact.

The Ambles soap opera continues, he's at Tennessee this week and also heard a rumor that he's leaning towards UNC. Either team can have him as far as I'm concerned. No matter how talented he is I don't want him at SC, especially with Woods and Prater and the WR class in Cali next season.

Yeah, Thornton would be my top guess as well. Although, it wouldn't surprise me if it was Cecil Whiteside. I agree with you about Robey. I'm excited about the possibility of getting him and Demar Dorsey. Also, very glad that Zumwalt made it for the visit. Hopefully, the staff can convince him that he has a legitimate chance to start early (which I think he does.)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:25 PM   #904
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Rumors rumors, gotta love 'em.

Apparently Ambles found someone to drive him to Knoxville (he'd been stuck in Charlotte) and when he arrived rumor is that he was greeted by Da'Rick Rogers.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:42 PM   #905
MrBug708
Head Coach

Where does shirley end up? Usc or miami? I think whiteside would be huge for usc as he is the best lb in the west followed by zumwalt and probably pullard. any usc commits in danger besides Gio? And riley?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:15 AM   #906
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'd be amazed if Shirley doesn't end up at SC. That would be a big disappointment. Unless we end up with Zumwalt/Pullard and pull a big surprise on signing day losing Shirley would be a disaster.

Other than Di Paolo (and I don't consider Dietrich Riley a commit, even if he was a silent he was a silent to the old staff) the only guy in real danger I know about is Matt Darr, who is tripping to Fresno State and considering Northwestern as well. I guess the new staff doesn't feel they need to spend a schollie on a punter as multiple sites have reported that he hasn't gotten any contact from them. Stupid, stupid, stupid as both punters suck and are seniors next year and Darr is the best in the nation.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:46 AM   #907
MrBug708
Head Coach

Do you think you guys pulled off Zumwalt? I think that losing Di Paolo would be bad in the sense that you guys have one other kid committed at OL and he's more of a sleeper then an impact guy. You loaded up two years ago and brought in a great kid in Martinez and solid one in Graf, but not taking any OL would be bad for any school. UCLA is in that position with DT's. Sentral Henderson would certainly go a long ways to shore up the OL, but he's only one kid
Old 01-31-2010, 01:56 AM   #908
bhlloy
Coordinator

I have no idea. Zumwalt is a smart kid and it's going to come down to the wire. I like having the last visit but it's a complete toss up at this point I think.

Losing Di Paolo would be bad I agree, but I'm not sure he's that good TBH. I don't understand why he got so much love over other local kids like Kohler and Ward who really could have come in and provided depth right away. If Di Paolo does contribute it's going to be at C or a mobile G and he's going to have to put on some serious weight to even play those positions so it won't be for a couple of years. I'm totally in agreement that we haven't taken enough OL and it could really come back to bite us. We got some good news this week that Matt Meyer is going to try football again and his foot might be in good enough shape to allow that to happen. That would be huge for depth, as would getting Martin Coleman back and healthy. But OL is definitely a concern. All signs point to Henderson being a Buckeye at this point, our best shot might be at Chaz Green and Arie Kundiayo (sp?) but they are both long shots too and we could strike out altogether, which is a scary thought.

Last edited by bhlloy : 01-31-2010 at 01:56 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:32 AM   #909
MrBug708
Head Coach

Gio is athletic but is raw. I know Huffman from scout thinks he's a better guard then a center but quality C's are tough to get
Old 01-31-2010, 08:46 AM   #910
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Bourbon is apparently heading to Kansas now.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:39 AM   #911
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I'd be amazed if Shirley doesn't end up at SC. That would be a big disappointment. Unless we end up with Zumwalt/Pullard and pull a big surprise on signing day losing Shirley would be a disaster.

Other than Di Paolo (and I don't consider Dietrich Riley a commit, even if he was a silent he was a silent to the old staff) the only guy in real danger I know about is Matt Darr, who is tripping to Fresno State and considering Northwestern as well. I guess the new staff doesn't feel they need to spend a schollie on a punter as multiple sites have reported that he hasn't gotten any contact from them. Stupid, stupid, stupid as both punters suck and are seniors next year and Darr is the best in the nation.

Yeah, I'm very annoyed that the staff hasn't contacted Darr. A great punter is definitely worth a scholarship, IMO. Agreed with everything else you said as well. Riley has played the game the whole time, and I never considered him a commit even when he was reportedly silent.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:43 AM   #912
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'll be a bit surprised if Giovanni defects. I think he just took this trip to placate his grandfather.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:41 AM   #913
MrBug708
Head Coach

I think most bruin fans want him because he is usc's only solid linemen
Old 01-31-2010, 12:06 PM   #914
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post

You have to be kidding me...i just lost all respect for the kid
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:00 PM   #915
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think most bruin fans want him because he is usc's only solid linemen

I would agree. We don't even need another lineman right now, at least not an interior lineman. That's all about taking an opportunity to put a dent in your rival at a key position for them.

I also agree that we don't turn him, although I don't think it's an "appease your grandfather" only thing. When Neuheisel's involved, you can never be sure the interest isn't genuine--he can really sell it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:15 PM   #916
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post

Good news for Jayhawk fans. Turner Gill should have some quality RB's with Toben Opurum and now Brandon Bourbon.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:30 PM   #917
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Where does shirley end up? Usc or miami?
I must've missed the news that he dropped Washington. And from what I've read, he took the Miami visit for fun and was considering not even taking it.

I would guess USC for Shirley, but it would be a mistake to assume Washington isn't in the mix still.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:37 PM   #918
MrBug708
Head Coach

I don't think he's dropped them.

There is a rumor that kohler and montana are getting the full blitz from Rick. Nothing will come of it iim sure but still
Old 01-31-2010, 04:37 PM   #919
MrBug708
Head Coach

There is a rumor that kohler and montana are getting the full blitz from Rick. Nothing will come of it iim sure but still
Old 01-31-2010, 05:07 PM   #920
mckerney
Coordinator

Rumor is Earnest Thomas committed to Illinois.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:20 PM   #921
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dietrich Riley is probably a Bruin, and I don't mind one bit if the rumors are true about a few commits USC secured this weekend.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:21 PM   #922
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Is that a new rumor, Bug? Only thing I have seen at BRO at least suggests a "someone" in the mix that is unexpected, but the fleeting info on that someone is so vague it could be virtually anyone. I think the Kohler-Montana stuff is something someone speculating pulled out of their ass.

I don't even want Montana anyway; I think he's overrated. Would definitely take Kohler, though. But, like I said, I think that's someone's line of bull that they're shopping.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:25 PM   #923
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Dietrich Riley is probably a Bruin, and I don't mind one bit if the rumors are true about a few commits USC secured this weekend.

Riley's a weird one. Don't know what to make of him. His commitment has been a circus. Is he truly conflicted? Or is he an attention whore?

And then there are questions that at times he hasn't looked as good as rated. But others chime in and say he's more than the sum of his parts, just flat "a football player".

And then from UCLA's perspective, with Thomas and Murphy gone, who knows what position Barr will play and Dargan apparently lacking in the grades to get past UCLA's rather immovable admissions committee, we need a safety.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:51 PM   #924
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:

Who is rumored to have committed? You guys had a nice group in this weekend.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:04 PM   #925
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

There are a bunch of rumors flying, but the one that I think/hope is solid is Robey and Dorsey both committed this weekend. I also think that chances are good for Zumwalt which would be huge with the linebacker depth issues.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:10 PM   #926
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There are a bunch of rumors flying, but the one that I think/hope is solid is Robey and Dorsey both committed this weekend. I also think that chances are good for Zumwalt which would be huge with the linebacker depth issues.

I know you have tossed out the Zumwalt thing a time or two this weekend, and I am sure you have a source on it, but UCLA sources had Zumwalt on the UCLA campus before his USC visit, and then back up to UCLA after his USC visit. Everything that has come out of the Zumwalt camp (from the parents and the kid himself) has said that it's a Furd-UCLA battle.

I don't think Zumwalt is coming to USC, but that's just my read, no inside info.

I have read the rumors that say you guys are looking good for some of the others that came in this weekend, though (like the two you mention above).

Any word on DiPaolo? There's a rumor going around that he has "opened up" his commitment (seems strange to see that three days before NSD).

Last edited by Chief Rum : 01-31-2010 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Changed to "after his USC visit"...what I had before made no sense
Old 01-31-2010, 07:11 PM   #927
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:

I'll be interested to see if Dorsey really leaves Florida. I think he winds up at FSU still but it's hard to say with hin. There've been rumors he committed at each visit he's had.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:13 PM   #928
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I know you have tossed out the Zumwalt thing a time or two this weekend, and I am sure you have a source on it, but UCLA sources had Zumwalt on the UCLA campus before his USC visit, and then back up to UCLA after his UCLA visit. Everything that has come out of the Zumwalt camp (from the parents and the kid himself) has said that it's a Furd-UCLA battle.

I don't think Zumwalt is coming to USC, but that's just my read, no inside info.

I have read the rumors that say you guys are looking good for some of the others that came in this weekend, though (like the two you mention above).

Any word on DiPaolo? There's a rumor going around that he has "opened up" his commitment (seems strange to see that three days before NSD).

I've heard the rumor that Zumwalt went back to UCLA after his visit to us this weekend. Obviously, if that happened, I feel much worse about his chances of picking USC.

No word on Giovanni.

There are rumors that we got a bunch of commits out of this weekend.. I'll believe it on Weds once the letters come in.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:20 PM   #929
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've heard the rumor that Zumwalt went back to UCLA after his visit to us this weekend. Obviously, if that happened, I feel much worse about his chances of picking USC.

No word on Giovanni.

There are rumors that we got a bunch of commits out of this weekend.. I'll believe it on Weds once the letters come in.

Boy, ain't that the truth (the bolded part)!

It's been a topsy-turvy recruiting season. As exciting as it has been, I'll be pretty thrilled to see it actually end on Wednesday. Then I can stop caring for several months.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:34 PM   #930
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I know you have tossed out the Zumwalt thing a time or two this weekend, and I am sure you have a source on it, but UCLA sources had Zumwalt on the UCLA campus before his USC visit, and then back up to UCLA after his USC visit. Everything that has come out of the Zumwalt camp (from the parents and the kid himself) has said that it's a Furd-UCLA battle.

FWIW, USCfootball reporter Gerard Martinez has a direct quote from Zumwalt in which he says he did not visit UCLA before coming to USC this week/weekend. Also, Zumwalt is choosing to announce his decision in an unique way, by not announcing it at all. He is going to just fax in his letter on Weds. and let the school announce it once they get it.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:49 PM   #931
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
It's been a topsy-turvy recruiting season. As exciting as it has been, I'll be pretty thrilled to see it actually end on Wednesday. Then I can stop caring for several months.

That's why I like the way Texas does it. Send out offers to all the guys who come to camp in February/March, then the bulk of your class is set. Any guys who come on board at the end are nice surprises.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:09 PM   #932
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The surprise visitor is out of the bag, and it wasn't anyone I was thinking it might be. I love these quotes from him:

"I liked USC because of the history, the history of the program. They've had some awesome linebackers come out of USC in the last few years. It's Linebacker U now - that's the name of it. I know I can come in because they need linebackers. If I come in streaking, I can be the next Brian Cushing or Clay Matthews.

"
Man, it was really informative. I got a chance to meet all the coaches. I found out who my linebackers coach is. It was just great. Everything was awesome."

Hopefully, he ends up a Trojan
Old 01-31-2010, 09:10 PM   #933
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The surprise visitor is out of the bag, and it wasn't anyone I was thinking it might be. I love these quotes from him:

"I liked USC because of the history, the history of the program. They've had some awesome linebackers come out of USC in the last few years. It's Linebacker U now - that's the name of it. I know I can come in because they need linebackers. If I come in streaking, I can be the next Brian Cushing or Clay Matthews.

"
Man, it was really informative. I got a chance to meet all the coaches. I found out who my linebackers coach is. It was just great. Everything was awesome."

Hopefully, he ends up a Trojan

Okay, so who is it?

Old 01-31-2010, 10:04 PM   #934
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Like I said, I'll believe it when the letters arrive Weds, but the reports are that USC has gained 9 commits this weekend. They had 14 going into the weekend. There reportedly is a decent chance they will have 25 on Weds. If so, the class should vault up somewhere into the top 3 in the rankings.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:12 PM   #935
MrBug708
Head Coach

Im guessing Zumwalt or Shirley?

Tuala went back to Arizona bound.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:16 PM   #936
Swaggs
Coordinator

Have you heard anything about Nickell Robey, EF?

I have heard that he did not commit, but not seen anything actually written.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:18 PM   #937
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Im guessing Zumwalt or Shirley?

Tuala went back to Arizona bound.
Shirley took his trip to Miami. He's currently claiming that USC, Washington, Miami and Arizona are still in it and he hasn't made up his mind, and thinks he'll have a hard time deciding on Wednesday.

Taula is no shocker - he commits to every school he visits, so him re-affirming his commitment to Arizona after finally taking his official visit there was expected. The only thing that might change that is his mother reportedly favors Washington and he has relatives in the Seattle area.

Still no word from Heimuli on how he liked his visit to Washington, though supposedly Brandon Huffman will be speaking with him or his brother tonight.

Also heard that Kona Schwenke reportedly never made it to Seattle, so it sounds like Notre Dame will be his choice.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:19 PM   #938
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Have you heard anything about Nickell Robey, EF?

I have heard that he did not commit, but not seen anything actually written.

No insider info, but he is the one that I feel most confident will be a Trojan. Monte thinks he will fit his scheme perfectly and did a great job with his pursuit.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:46 PM   #939
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Okay, so who is it?

Oh yeah, it is Glen Stanley, one of the top juco LB's, a 4 star who runs a legit 4.45 and is 250. He was committed to Tennessee, but from those quotes I don't think that is going to stick.

Edit: Marquis is reportedly sticking with UCLA. How did his grades improve enough to get into UCLA over this weekend?

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-31-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:00 PM   #940
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Keenan Allen and his clan (half brother QB Maynard and their cousin a JR WR) are back in NC.

While they are very tight lipped, it sounds like Clemson may have turned the group late and stolen Allen from Bama...

Combining this with a DJ Howard turn from Auburn and landing Justin Parker would make this a top 10 class....cant wait for Wednesday
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:20 PM   #941
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh yeah, it is Glen Stanley, one of the top juco LB's, a 4 star who runs a legit 4.45 and is 250. He was committed to Tennessee, but from those quotes I don't think that is going to stick.

With or without Stanley (who previously committed to UCF before shifting to UT) the Vols have signed 2 LB's that were committed elsewhere since Dooley arrived, have another that appears to be sticking after flirting with Ole Miss, and already had two others that enrolled mid-term. Stanley's numbers do look good but with 5 LB's already signed, it shouldn't be a crippling loss either.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:39 PM   #942
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

Edit: Marquis is reportedly sticking with UCLA. How did his grades improve enough to get into UCLA over this weekend?

UCLA lost two JC's who committed to them last year so he isn't out of the woods yet.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:51 AM   #943
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Well, Marquis sticking with UCLA doesn't mean he's admitted. It just means he'll stick it out and try to make it work. This has happened a bunch, and, unfortunately, the player usually doesn't end up making it in.

Case in point, DT Branden Warner last year. He was a guy UCLA was looking to start next to Price this season, and he was in pretty much the same situation as Jackson. He tried to get his academics order (positive spin)/never tried and looked elsewhere (negative spin)/truth (who the hell knows), didn't get it done, and ended up following Coach Walker to New Mexico State--where he hardly played, oddly enough.

Point is, Jackson might commit on Wednesday. But JUCOs are a different situation than HSers, I think. So the real question is, come August, will Jackson be in UCLA's fall camp? I hope so, but what I have heard is he may not even have the grades for passing basic eligibility, much less the higher standards UCLA admissions puts up.

I don't know about Stanley, but he sounds like a good one at a position of need for you guys.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-01-2010 at 01:51 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #944
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just a decent article on DT Mike Thornton from Stephenson (GA) HS and how he's managed to narrow the 39 offers he got down to 10 teams by last Wednesday. The guy reminds me of some of us playing sports text sims

The Deliberator: Mike Thornton thinking through the recruiting | AJC College Sports Recruiting
Old 02-01-2010, 12:55 PM   #945
DeToxRox
Head Coach

A Michigan mod just posted that he is hearing from USC guys that Riley is going to UCLA. I bring this up because Parker said he would not go to USC if Riley went there so now the coaches are playing it up to Parker that he's there guy.

I know Parker has wanted to go out of state but I think he is going to wind up at USC at this point.

Should be an interesting NSD.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #946
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Also Latwan Anderson is this years player to not sign on NSD. He has decided to wait so he can decide between WVU/OSU. I figure it would have been USC and maybe it was a typo but the Ohio guy on Rivals said it was WVU/OSU.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #947
timmynausea
College Starter

Anderson canceled the visit to USC. He has multiple times slagged OSU fans on his facebook, but in the end there's always a ton of pressure on a Glenville kid to go to OSU. I hope he sticks with WVU, of course.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:05 PM   #948
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

*yawn* i hate NSD. It's such a circus and gives so much attention to these guys, just further feeding their already inflated ego's and making them think that they are special. and that thinking that they are special is what leads the to make fucked-up decisions later in life.

How about a NSD for valedictorians with full scholarship offers for academics hmm? Instead of people nut-licking these kids.

(and yes that's an overgeneralization and i realize i'm probably going to get blasted by the college football diehards here on the board)

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 02-01-2010 at 01:07 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:11 PM   #949
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
How about a NSD for valedictorians with full scholarship offers for academics hmm? Instead of people nut-licking these kids.

Because watching 18-22 year olds at the prime of their mental abilities successfully take test, write papers and perform labs is neither rare or fun to watch?
Old 02-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #950
MrBug708
Head Coach

Riley would be the heir at FS if indeed true. Kid looks like a football player even if raw