Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: What do you think about Ipods?
They are essential. I have 3. 17 34.00%
They are decent, but nothing better than a Lyra or something similar. 17 34.00%
They are overpriced, buggy, and/or stupid. 11 22.00%
Julio is to Asshat as Ipod is to Fish in the Ass. 5 10.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2006, 10:29 AM   #51
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols
But, if I remember right, that mode is seperate from the music mode, isn't it? Don't you have to set it to that mode to use it as such?

You can store pictures, music/podcasts, and video in normal mode. To transfer/store documents (like on a flash player) you have to change to disk mode, or whatever it's called. It's not that hard to do from itunes though.

moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 11:54 AM   #52
st.cronin
General Manager

Ipods are not easy to use, at all. I'm not a gear-head by any means, but I think it's easy to set up my entertainment system when we move. I can change a fuse. I'm not put off by technical things, but my ipod is the most non-user friendly gadget I've ever owned. I haven't used it in months.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:01 PM   #53
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
this is exactly what i do. playlists are for analy retentive people who feel the need to organize every single aspect of their life. i, on the other hand, will listen to music when i have the urge to hear a song. when i open up my music folder to play the song i want i browse through my collection and select any other song that catches my eye.
You've got a little bit when you're talking set playlists - I don't usually use those. The dynamic playlists are outstanding, though.

"Grab 25 random songs that I've rated as 3* or better and are Rock"
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:17 PM   #54
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I have a 1 terabyte hard drive almost maxed out with music. I had an Ipod, dropped it while working out and ruined it, and on a whim just grabbed a Creative 1gb Muvo. It has been a great workout player. I don't know if I will buy an Ipod again.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:37 PM   #55
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols
But, if I remember right, that mode is seperate from the music mode, isn't it? Don't you have to set it to that mode to use it as such?
Yeah you have to turn "disk mode on" which is checking a checkbox once. I can't imagine that being a problem? You don't have to turn it off to load music on it or anything. I turned on disk mode when I first got it and have never turned it off.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:49 PM   #56
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Ipods are not easy to use, at all. I'm not a gear-head by any means, but I think it's easy to set up my entertainment system when we move. I can change a fuse. I'm not put off by technical things, but my ipod is the most non-user friendly gadget I've ever owned. I haven't used it in months.

I do not get this at all.

How could it be simpler? You load up iTunes, put your music on their (either d/l or stick the cd in and hit Import), you plug your iPod in, and the music downloads. Then you turn on the iPod, Click on music, and select your playlist.

I don't understand how this could be simpler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:51 PM   #57
SackAttack
Head Coach

Still love my 20 GB 3rd generation after a year and a half.

I admit to being tempted by the video iPods, but not enough to actually fork out for one yet.

But yeah, I never really thought I'd buy one, but I'm sure glad I did after all.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 02:05 PM   #58
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
I do not get this at all.

How could it be simpler? You load up iTunes, put your music on their (either d/l or stick the cd in and hit Import), you plug your iPod in, and the music downloads. Then you turn on the iPod, Click on music, and select your playlist.

I don't understand how this could be simpler.

Maybe it's simple for people who have used Apples? I don't know.

knives out
Old 03-02-2006, 02:11 PM   #59
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Maybe it's simple for people who have used Apples? I don't know.

I haven't used an apple in almost 20 years.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 03-02-2006, 02:15 PM   #60
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
I haven't used an apple in almost 20 years.

The last Apple I used was the ][e.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:17 PM   #61
st.cronin
General Manager

Well, I've never used an apple, ever. I don't know - maybe it's too small? I just find it frustrating and perplexing.

knives out
Old 03-02-2006, 02:20 PM   #62
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Well, I've never used an apple, ever. I don't know - maybe it's too small? I just find it frustrating and perplexing.

Are you also stumped by doorknobs and light switches?
Old 03-02-2006, 02:23 PM   #63
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack

Not typically, but occasionally in the middle of the night in a strange building with the lights out.

I have no trouble with most things: My girlfriend recently bought a cd/alarm clock/am/fm radio - easy as cake to set up. Our laptop, I set up and configured the desktop. I have no trouble with the digital camera.

The ipod, though, bewilders me.

knives out
Old 03-02-2006, 02:26 PM   #64
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

you complete me.

Quote:
Old 03-02-2006, 03:45 PM   #65
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator
I have a 1 terabyte hard drive almost maxed out with music. I had an Ipod, dropped it while working out and ruined it, and on a whim just grabbed a Creative 1gb Muvo. It has been a great workout player. I don't know if I will buy an Ipod again.

Wait a minute, you have a terabyte of music and only a 1GB MP3 Player?

Guess you like doing lots of synching don't you?
Old 03-02-2006, 03:47 PM   #66
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Wait a minute, you have a terabyte of music and only a 1GB MP3 Player?

Guess you like doing lots of synching don't you?

Why would you need a terabyte mp3 player for workouts?
Old 03-02-2006, 03:51 PM   #67
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:

Well they do make bigger flash players (edit - bigger than 1GB I mean, not terrabyte).

If you actually have a terabyte of music, I presume he wants to listen to most/all of it.

I don't know how many workouts it takes to get through 1GB of music before he has to change up the mix, but I would just think someone with that much music would want the biggest portable player to carry as much of it as possible. Don't you?

Last edited by moriarty : 03-02-2006 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:55 PM   #68
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

He does indoorsoccersim's workout. It's intense.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:32 PM   #69
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I appreciate the props, SteveW..

To those making the ease of use argument, I can see where it might be easy to use if you like to have everything running through a seperate program (Itunes) and you already have it set up and you're familiar with it.

I already have my mp3's sorted with each band or singer having their own folders for each album they put out, though, so..

If you just want to put your music on your player and play it, then I think that the whole need for iTunes is kind of cumbersome. Seven Mary Three might agree with me on that one.

Thats how I see it, so I'm calling it that way, I guess.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:44 PM   #70
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Well they do make bigger flash players (edit - bigger than 1GB I mean, not terrabyte).

If you actually have a terabyte of music, I presume he wants to listen to most/all of it.

I don't know how many workouts it takes to get through 1GB of music before he has to change up the mix, but I would just think someone with that much music would want the biggest portable player to carry as much of it as possible. Don't you?

I get around 7-8 CDs on it. This gets me through 7-8 workouts = 2 1/2 weeks. Not so bad. Sometimes, I will just start over if I like the music enough.

I would like another backup of my music. It is on one Lacie hard drive and if it ever goes, there goes the whole collection of rips.

And some of that music is so obscure, I doubt I will ever listen to it.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:26 PM   #71
Craptacular
College Starter

The main reason I will eventually get an Ipod or similar device is to be able to transfer photos from my camera and/or memory cards, as either a backup or when I get low on space on my CF cards, which will take hundreds of photos. The music will be a bonus.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote