Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-09-2008, 10:47 PM   #51
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Smith is still pitching for Hartford to start the ninth, muns evidently giving him a chance to get the complete game shutout. Fontaine enters the game as well to start the ninth as a defensive replacement at catcher. That ends up being fairly ironic as Smith gets J. Gonzales to strike out but Fontaine can't handle the pitch.. it is a passed ball and Gonzales is safe at first....

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:47 PM   #52
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Seven straight Classic appearances.

And now you get to experience the heartwrenching nature of playoffs, too. Man 'o man. What a feat.

Makes me wish I never broke up the St. Louis Terriers.

I wish you hadnt now too selfishly. I would just like to see how we (Hartford) would have stacked up compared to them. That would have been fun to have been able to get into that I think. I understand why you had to to it though, and from what has happend the past few seasons, cant thank you enough for putting the good of the league in front of yourself.

Last edited by muns : 11-09-2008 at 10:52 PM.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:49 PM   #53
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Muns decides that down 1 game to 0, he doesn't want to take a chance with this win and he brings in Hennessey to close this out..

Morales is up at bat for Napa Valley and takes the first pitch as a called strike.. The next one he makes solid contact and smashes the ball on the ground between first and second. Hartford's rightfielder picks up the ball and throws it in, but overthrows the cutoff man badly... Gonzales moves around to third and Morales to second.

Napa Valley has runners on third and second with no outs and the tying run coming up to bat in the form of Fournier!

Old 11-09-2008, 10:49 PM   #54
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Smith is still pitching for Hartford to start the ninth, muns evidently giving him a chance to get the complete game shutout. Fontaine enters the game as well to start the ninth as a defensive replacement at catcher. That ends up being fairly ironic as Smith gets J. Gonzales to strike out but Fontaine can't handle the pitch.. it is a passed ball and Gonzales is safe at first....

LOL that is rich!!!
Old 11-09-2008, 10:50 PM   #55
muns
Pro Starter

here we freaking go
Old 11-09-2008, 10:52 PM   #56
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Fournier takes the first pitch as a ball, but then sees one he likes and he tatoos it.. hard to center field.. but the deepest part of the park swallows up the ball. Not before a run can score from first. The shutout is now gone, and the score is 3-1 , but Hartford has recorded the first out of the inning.

Andrews follows Fournier with a hard hit line drive to centerfield, but a great play is made by the centerfielder to catch it before it hits the ground! That is the second out of the inning, but the runner at second moves over to third on the play.

With two outs and a runner at third, Nishida is not ready for things to end here and he hits a line drive single over second base to score another run... Napa Valley has now cut the lead to 3-2 and the go tying run at first base.. for the next hitter.. J. Poe

Old 11-09-2008, 10:53 PM   #57
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

The first pitch to Poe is taken and called a strike...

The next pitch, Poe swings but fouls it off behind the catcher...

Poe swings on the next pitch as well, but swings through it, striking out.

Hartford wins 3-2

The series is all tied up 1 game each.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:54 PM   #58
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Game three heads out west to California in the Vineyard. The matchup is Robinson for Hartford vs Wilson for Napa Valley. Both pitchers have gone 1-0 without giving up a run yet this postseason.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:55 PM   #59
muns
Pro Starter

Teach I thought you were gonna do it and put me into a huge hole. Nice first 2 games!
Old 11-09-2008, 10:56 PM   #60
TeachEnEspanol
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
Teach I thought you were gonna do it and put me into a huge hole. Nice first 2 games!

Nah, we need to keep this interesting.
TeachEnEspanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:57 PM   #61
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Hartford starts things off in game three with a bag as Anderson leads off the game with a double, Tamura then walks. Anderson steals third and scores on a McGill RBI Sacrifice Fly.

Napa Valley takes control of the game inthe bottom of the fourth however as Nishida starts things off with a Single and then Gonzales Triples for Napa Valley to score him. Andrews then hits a RBI double. Later in the inning Coffey hits another RBI double and then Charles Wilson (The Pitcher) puts a stamp on the game with a 2-run home run of his own.

Vazquez hits a solo-homer for Hartford in the top of the 5th, but they can't scrape back any other runs and lose this one.

Napa Valley wins 5-2

Napa Valley leads the series 2 games to 1.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:58 PM   #62
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Side comment.. while I have to remain impartial.. it brings a smile to my face any time I see Wilson and Carlos Gonzales do well in this series. I still have weird attachments to those two pitchers!

Old 11-09-2008, 11:00 PM   #63
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of Carlos Gonzales, who else to take the mound in game four for the Winemakers, but the most-winning post-season pitcher in FOOL history. He will have to face off against Artie Wiley for Hartford whom sported a 15-9 record with a 3.35 ERA this season.

So far this postseason Gonzales has a 1.13 ERA and a 0-0 record, while Wiley is 0-1 with a 5.14 ERA

Old 11-09-2008, 11:02 PM   #64
TeachEnEspanol
College Starter

Quote:
Side comment.. while I have to remain impartial.. it brings a smile to my face any time I see Wilson and Carlos Gonzales do well in this series. I still have weird attachments to those two pitchers!

I'm glad my guys can brighten your day Alan!
Old 11-09-2008, 11:03 PM   #65
muns
Pro Starter

2 years in a row that a pitcher hits a huge home run against me now isnt it? Anyone remember off hand? I know that its been twice but I couldnt remember if it was Teach back to back or if it was the Baltimore classics....
Old 11-09-2008, 11:03 PM   #66
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

The hit parade continues for Napa Valley in game four as a RBI double by Andrews and an RBI single by Chavez starts the game off with a 2-0 lead in the first. Morales hits a solo homer in the bottom of the second, J. Gonzales drives in two runs on an RBI double in the bottom of the third and an Andrews RBI single in the bottom of the 4th makes the game 6-0 very quickly.

Hartford gets 1 back in the top of the 5th, but do not score again until a few runs in the top of the 9th, but not nearly enough. Carlos Gonzales pitches 8 innings with 8 strikeouts and one earned run.

Napa Valley wins 6-3

Napa Valley leads the series 3 games to 1.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:05 PM   #67
muns
Pro Starter

my pitching woes in the classics continue
Old 11-09-2008, 11:05 PM   #68
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Game 5 does not feature a rematch of game 1, and instead Napa Valley decides to use a 5-man rotation in the postseason. Frank Roy went 2-1 with a 2.51 ERA in 39 relief appearances this season. He will be starting game 5 for the Winemarkers vs Aquino for Hartford. We will see if this gamble pays off for Napa Valley.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:09 PM   #69
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

The move by TeachEnEspanol seems to be an "obra de arte" as Roy pitches a complete game 6-hit shutout. The Winemakers score 4 runs in the third, another in the 6th on a Poe Solo-Homer and two more for good measure in the top of the 9th on an RBI double by Morales.

Napa Valley wins 7-0

Napa Valley leads the series 4 games to 1.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:10 PM   #70
TeachEnEspanol
College Starter

Quote:
The move by TeachEnEspanol seems to be an "obra de arte" as Roy pitches a complete game 6-hit shutout. The Winemakers score 4 runs in the third, another in the 6th on a Poe Solo-Homer and two more for good measure in the top of the 9th on an RBI double by Morales.

Napa Valley wins 7-0

Napa Valley leads the series 4 games to 1.

Speaking of art, I appreciate the masterful commentary Alan. You make us sound good.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:10 PM   #71
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

In game 6, Napa Valley will start McGorry who has gone 2-0 with a 2.12 ERA this post season.

Hartford has the perfect person to stop this slide on the mound however in Billy Smith. Smith has a 1-0 record this post season with a miniscule 0.60 ERA. This might be the best pitching matchup so far this FOOL Classic.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:13 PM   #72
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Wow. The Winemakers are not joking around. They said, "playoffs? ha. We win titles. Just give us more games and we'll make it happen."

Impressive stuff.

Let's see if the 'Pooners can pull a trick out of their old hat and come back down 4 games to 1.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:13 PM   #73
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Hartford strikes first in game 6, with a Romero solo homer in the bottom of the 2nd. Napa Valley leapfrogs into the lead in the top of the fourth thanks to an Andrews Single, followed by Nishida reaching on an error by the leftfielder. Poe then hits an RBI single and Chavez grounds into a double play that scores another run.. a Run that shouldn't have mattered if not for the left fielder's error... Lets see if that comes back to haunt Hartford. After four the score is Napa Valley 2, Hartford 1...

Old 11-09-2008, 11:15 PM   #74
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Both pitchers cruise through the game to the 9th inning.. With both pitchers still in the game, Napa Valley comes up to bat in the top of the 9th facing Billy Smith. Smith is losing 2-1 but has only given up 1 earned run this game thus far.

Smith gets Nishida to strike out swinging, but then gives up a double to Poe. With first base open, muns sends the signal out to intentionally walk Chavez to put runners on first and second for J. Gonzales to bat....

Old 11-09-2008, 11:17 PM   #75
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Jose Gonzales fouls off three pitches before hitting a 3-2 pitch high, but not deep enough. The right fielder makes the catch and no one advances. Rockburn comes up to bat and has better luck however as he lines a hit over third base that scores the runner from second.. Napa Valley takes a 3-1 lead! Reeves then harmlessly stikes out looking to end the inning, but Hartford needs two runs to keep their season alive

Old 11-09-2008, 11:19 PM   #76
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Webb comes in to pitch for Napa Valley to try to close this championship out. Peters comes in as a defensive substitute at first base. The first batter Webb faces is Zhao. Zhao swings through two pitches for strikes before making contact with one, lining it over second base for a hit.

Romero now up to bat and he fouls off three pitches before Webb blows one past him to strike him out! With 1 out and a runner on first, it appears that muns will be calling for a pinch hitter in the form of Yamazaki who is coming out to bat...

Old 11-09-2008, 11:21 PM   #77
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Yamazaki works the count full before grounding to the second baseman. He gets the lead runner at second, but not in time to get Yamazaki at first!

Hartford is down to their last out now, with a runner on.. Harmon steps up to the plate and wastes no time.. He grounds the ball through the hole at second base for a single!

2 outs, the tying run is at first base, and Tamura steps up to bat...

Old 11-09-2008, 11:22 PM   #78
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Tamura also wastes no time and swings at the first pitch. He does not get good contact though and he harmlessly hits the ball to second. The second baseman makes sure to get a good grip and he flings the ball over to first...

Napa Valley has won, and is the 1983 FOOL Champions!

Napa Valley wins 3-1

Napa Valley wins the FOOL Classic 5 games to 1!

Old 11-09-2008, 11:24 PM   #79
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I think you cannot understate how impressive it is to see what Napa Valley has done to turn around the history of that franchise.

We're talking the worst franchise in FOOL history after Chicago got turned around. So to be where they are now and really, showing little signs of stopping is really something astounding to watch.

Amidst the rancor, this point gets lost all too often I'm afraid, but I'm not going to stop talking about it, because it's a really impressive thing to see.

Congrats to Teach on the repeat!
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:24 PM   #80
TeachEnEspanol
College Starter

That was fun!

Great job Muns!!!!
Old 11-09-2008, 11:31 PM   #81
muns
Pro Starter

Congrats on the repeat Teach!!!
Old 11-09-2008, 11:34 PM   #82
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Great job teach!! Way to keep the championship where it belongs...in the CL! WTG muns...at least you won a game against that monster squad! They whooped me in 4 straight!é

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:36 PM   #83
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

New file is up.

Remember with expanded playoffs, that the offseason starts a bit later this year than in the past. That doesn't affect what days are simmed when however.

Monday night will sim October 9th until October 31st when players file for free agency.
Tuesday night will sim November 1st until December 1st
Wednesday night will sim December 1st until Feb 1st.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:38 PM   #84
muns
Pro Starter

anyone want to PM me over some pitching advice???? I clearly have no idea WTF im doing in the classic pitching wise, so some help would be appreciated
Old 11-09-2008, 11:44 PM   #85
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Congrats, Teach, on another great season. I am currently doing my darndest to try and put together the team to catch you here. Good luck this offseason.

And, damn, muns, I can't believe I am feeling sorry for a guy with seven straight Classic trips, but really, I am. You deserve another one with all the quality you put out there. I know you have enough to keep going for a while yet, though, so I'm sure you'll still get a few more chances with this group.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:12 AM   #86
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
anyone want to PM me over some pitching advice???? I clearly have no idea WTF im doing in the classic pitching wise, so some help would be appreciated

Honestly, I think the problem is as simple as..Napa Valley is built for a series and your team is built to win regular season games.

I think her team is positioned well or at least, has seemed that way, to be able to win a playoff series with the right mix of a lineup that knows how to score runs and a pitching staff that doesn't know the word "lose."
Old 11-10-2008, 12:41 AM   #87
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Another dynasty in the making. Congrats Teach.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:51 AM   #88
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

When put into context, this is an impressive feat.

Quote:
Alan T, 17 seasons, 4 championships

Dark Cloud 22 seasons, 3 championships

muns 21 seasons, 2 championships

Chief Rum 19 seasons, 2 championships

Teach En Espanol 11 seasons, 2 championships

ekcut 18 seasons, 2 championships

Last edited by Young Drachma : 11-10-2008 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:35 AM   #89
muns
Pro Starter

Hell ya, that is pretty damn impressive. Congrats again Teach!!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:46 AM   #90
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Old 11-10-2008, 08:46 AM   #91
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Old 11-10-2008, 08:58 AM   #92
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yes, second place matters again.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 11-10-2008 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:03 AM   #93
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I actually think your team resembles my favorite MLB team in the 1990s (The Atlanta Braves). You rebuilt your team the same way that they did around the strong arms of 3 or 4 stud young pitchers and rode them for about a decade. Your hitting has been seemingly good during the regular season as you are the top or near the top in your league in most categories, but just like the Braves your hitting seems to just completely disappear during the FOOL Classic

It seemed like previously you were blaming your pitching for the FOOL Classic loss this year, but I don't really think that is fair. In the playoffs this year, your pitchers went 98 innings pitched and gave up 37 earned runs. That is roughly a 3.40 ERA this postseason and if you remove Artie Wiley from the equation (who appears to have hit the wall finally and is about to crash from a career perspective), your team ERA was under 2.85 for the playoffs which should be more than good enough.

Meanwhile during the playoffs, your hitting lineup vs Rightys was passable.. Anderson hit .341 (with no power or walks though), Tamura bombed with a .171 avg but McGill hit .333, Baker hit only .259 (but with good power - a double, triple and two HR in the playoffs for a .852 OPS)..

Against leftys though, you lose Baker, you lose Vazquez and you replace them with Fontaine whom hit .118 and Romero who hit .222.. plus your clean up hitter vs leftys (Zhao) only hit .214 and did not hit a HR the entire playoffs.

Two of the pitchers in the Winemaker rotation were of course McGorry (who is a lefty) and my all time favorite player Carlos Gonzales of course who is a lefty. You only managed 1 run off of McGorry in the first game, and 1 run off of McGorry in the 6th game. Against Gonzales in game 4 things were closer (only a 6-3 loss), but 2 of those runs came in the 9th and not against Gonzales. It also didn't help that you had Wiley pitch that game and he had evidently lost it by this point.

So that is 3 runs total that you scored off of the lefty starting pitchers in the 3 games you faced them. In the rest of the series, you beat Joe Hart (a righty) in Game 2 by a 3-2 score, but lost to Wilson 5-2 in game 3 (but you had 9 hits and left 9 runners on base). Really the only Righty pitcher that shut you down this series was Roy in game 5.

So I don't have the data from past FOOL Classics, but I honestly don't think your problem is your pitching. You had some defensive meltdowns during the series and I haven't really looked too much into the defense of your team to see if I felt you had issues there, but the main problem I saw is you really need another big bat, in your lineup. I know Romero - should- be that guy for you, and his ratings seem to suggest that he should be a super hitter.. but so far he has only had this season as a "break out season" and he disappeared in the playoffs.

Anyways.. just my perspective of what I felt your team's problem was here. I think Aquino, Robinson and Smith are as good of a starting three as you need (barring talent drops) really.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:05 AM   #94
muns
Pro Starter

Alan and DC thanks for taking the time out to respond, youll both get PM'S from me later
Old 11-10-2008, 10:37 AM   #95
Tasan
College Starter

Congrats Teach! Tough luck muns...you'll get it next year.

But not the next!
Old 11-10-2008, 10:53 AM   #96
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Congrats Teach! Tough luck muns...you'll get it next year.

But not the next!

HA HA your too fun Im looking forward to the Colorado push here soon. Like ive said before I thought you were the team to unseat me in the division earlier, so well see if you can do it here soon. Im starting to get old quick
Old 11-10-2008, 01:05 PM   #97
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

The best advice I could give is to not play Napa Valley....it's as simple as that.

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:11 PM   #98
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
The best advice I could give is to not play Napa Valley....it's as simple as that.

It is Carlos Gonzales.. I swear.. He has what 6 FOOL Classic Rings? Is there anyone else with that many in league history?

Old 11-10-2008, 04:27 PM   #99
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
It is Carlos Gonzales.. I swear.. He has what 6 FOOL Classic Rings? Is there anyone else with that many in league history?

No. Anyone who played with Valdosta would have the most. There are a few guys who played with St. Louis then later played with other teams, but I don't recall anyone with more than 4 or 5.

So yeah, those guys who played with you and then ended up in Napa have really racked up.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:27 PM   #100
muns
Pro Starter

no export from me tonight.

If anyone wants MR- Medici on the cheap let me know!!!!