Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #51
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think this season showed that the Colts had a LOT of flaws, but Peyton covered them up by his amazing play.

ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #52
JediKooter
Coordinator

Why is it Tuesday and Norv Turner is not fired yet? Seriously Spanos, what is there to think about? Pull the trigger already.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #53
Logan
Head Coach

Pretty terrible drafting for a number of years. Peyton masked the issues for a long time.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I think this season showed that the Colts had a LOT of flaws, but Peyton covered them up by his amazing play.

Whoops, didn't realize we were on page 2.

Last edited by Logan : 01-03-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #54
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Why is it Tuesday and Norv Turner is not fired yet? Seriously Spanos, what is there to think about? Pull the trigger already.

Granted this homework should have already been done, but as a couple of college coaching searches proved just a few weeks ago... if you don't have a plan for the replacement hires, don't go firing anyone yet.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #55
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

I have a bad feeling you're getting another season of the Norv Turner experience.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #56
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #57
JediKooter
Coordinator

Why do I feel like I just got gang raped in prison? Not that I actually know what that's like, but, this seems like this is what it would be like.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 01-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #58
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Granted this homework should have already been done, but as a couple of college coaching searches proved just a few weeks ago... if you don't have a plan for the replacement hires, don't go firing anyone yet.

Can totally see that. However, Spanos only needs to know two names:

1. Jon Grueden
2. Bill Cowher

Those are the only two guys that will be able to get the current players to gel into a championship caliber team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper
I have a bad feeling you're getting another season of the Norv Turner experience.

Spanos would do that. Heck, it took him way too long to get rid of Mike Riley and Bobby Bethard.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #59
Ksyrup

It's a 2-way street, though. They have to want the job.

Plus, if he's also firing the GM, that person would probably want some input on the coach, and the coach would want to know who he's working with before committing.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #60
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

bring schottenheimer back. they ran him out of town because he couldn't win the big one and they haven't sniffed it since.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #61
Ksyrup

I was talking to someone here at work about that this morning. How in the world could you settle on Norv Turner as the guy to replace Marty as the coach to take you to the next level? It's almost comical.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #62
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Can totally see that. However, Spanos only needs to know two names:

1. Jon Grueden
2. Bill Cowher

Those are the only two guys that will be able to get the current players to gel into a championship caliber team.

I doubt either of those guys wind up in Miami. First of all, the Dolphins job isn't that attractive. There's no franchise QB and the team has many holes. There are other jobs far more attractive - Tampa, possibly San Diego, St. Louis, etc. - because those squads have good QBs and top talent.

Besides, I don't think Gruden is the coach for that team. The Dolphins are probably going to need to develop a young QB and Gruden has never been able to do that due to the complexity of his system. Cowher has already said that he would want a good, young QB to mold if he took over another coaching gig and Miami doesn't have that. Cowher wants GM control as well (whether direct or indirect).

I think that recent years have shown that "going young" with a coach doesn't work too well in most cases. So I think there will be a bunch of retreads this year. As such, if you're talking name coaches, I think the best fit for Miami is Brian Billick. He's interested in the job, has a good enough pedigree and could be pretty effective.

Among the young guys, Joe Philbin, Green Bay's offensive coordinator, is another good bet. I think he'll get too much credit for GB's offensive success, but he'll be on the radar. Given that Matt Flynn is a Free Agent, I could see that combo winding up in Miami. Rob Chudzinski from Carolina could also be a candidate after his work with the Carolina offense and Cam Newton this year.

Last edited by Blackadar : 01-03-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #63
Logan
Head Coach

I can't believe Turner is going to keep his job.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #64
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

I'd like to know why it's Tuesday and the Vikings front office still has a job.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #65
mckerney
Coordinator

Wait, what? I just saw Rick Spielman got promoted. FUUUUUUUUUCCKKKKKKKKKKK!
Old 01-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #66
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Martz is also gone for the Bears.

Though I find it moderately annoying that whoever the Bears sign as a new GM will apparently not have the authority to fire Lovie (seeing as they've already announced he is staying).
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #67
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Come hell or high-water hoodie will be there on the sideline for the Pats come next year. Comforting thought.

Although I find it amusing that this guy who is the Offensive Coordinator is getting interest from teams apparently - how'd that work out for Denver, or Notre Dame or Cleveland?

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 01-03-2012 at 01:42 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #68
RendeR
Coordinator

Romeo will get the chiefs job and succeed there. I don't blame Romeo for Cleveland. That job almost ruined your beloved coach too. Don't forget that. =)
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #69
Ksyrup

What is it about Norv Turner?
Old 01-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #70
JediKooter
Coordinator

Welp...here's to another non Super Bowl season in 2012.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #71
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

He's a team killer. He's soft. He lacks the killer instinct a head coach needs to put opposing teams away. He's predictable (1st down = run). Can't win when it counts. There's absolutely no consistency with his teams.

His win/loss record is extremely deceiving. His teams benefit from having a weaker schedule than the year before. 8-8 this year, so the Chargers will play a 8-8 schedule next year. Which means they'll probably go 11-5. Once they get the harder schedule for 2013, they'll drop back down to 8-8 again.

At least with Marty, you had consistency and the team played tough. Granted, there were some issues in the playoffs, but, those weren't all Marty's fault.

I'm sure there's more, but, that's all I can think of before lunch. I'm actually surprised that I'm hungry after reading that Norv and AJ are returning for the 2012 season.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #72
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Romeo will get the chiefs job and succeed there. I don't blame Romeo for Cleveland. That job almost ruined your beloved coach too. Don't forget that. =)

Fair enough. Good point.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #73
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
His win/loss record is extremely deceiving. His teams benefit from having a weaker schedule than the year before. 8-8 this year, so the Chargers will play a 8-8 schedule next year. Which means they'll probably go 11-5. Once they get the harder schedule for 2013, they'll drop back down to 8-8 again.

Only two games in the schedule are determined by record, and it's not even record but where you place in your division. So the matchups decided by the record this year will be playing the Jets and the Titans.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #74
Grover
Pro Starter

Norv and AJ keeping their jobs. Wow. My first reaction to seeing that was "holy shit!" I was convinced they were done.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #75
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Quote:
Welp...here's to another non Super Bowl season in 2012.

tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #76
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Only two games in the schedule are determined by record, and it's not even record but where you place in your division. So the matchups decided by the record this year will be playing the Jets and the Titans.

Looking at the standings, I thought for sure the Chargers ended up in 3rd place. Didn't realize it was 2nd place. So, looks like it will be another 8-8 season at best for them in 2012.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #77
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Congratulations JediKooter!
Old 01-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #78
spleen1015
Coordinator

The loveable Bob Kravitz is saying he thinks that the Colts are already talking to Jeff Fisher. Man, I hope so. I like that dude as a coach.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #79
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Martz is also gone for the Bears.

Though I find it moderately annoying that whoever the Bears sign as a new GM will apparently not have the authority to fire Lovie (seeing as they've already announced he is staying).

Rumor is they're leaning toward hiring McKenzie from the Packers and since he's close friends with Lovie they know Lovie would be safe.

Angelo and Martz both needed to go but I have zero faith in the Bears getting this right. It sounds like Tice is in line for promotion to OC and Lovie seems convinced the offense is fine and that it's the defense needs rebuilt.

I fully expect them to continue to try to run a 90s offense and talking about how big of a deal it is to rush for 2k yards as a team while 6 teams have QBs that throw for more than 4,500 yards.

The Bears are going to be a mediocre organization until the McCaskies sell.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #80
Atocep
Coordinator

After listening to the Bears press conference I'm 99% sure the next GM is Reggie McKenzie.

I'm also pretty sure Lovie has been adopted as a McCaskey. He'll be in Chicago until he retires.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #81
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I fully expect them to continue to try to run a 90s offense and talking about how big of a deal it is to rush for 2k yards as a team while 6 teams have QBs that throw for more than 4,500 yards.

The run based offense isn't what kept you guys from the playoffs.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #82
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Congratulations JediKooter!

Thanks. Someone has to be 2nd or there would be no first.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #83
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
The run based offense isn't what kept you guys from the playoffs.

The last time the Bears had an offense that ranked in the top HALF of the league in weighted DVOA was 2001.

The run-first philosophy is dated. It might not be what kept the bears out of the playoffs, but considering the resources put into the QB position rushing for 2k yards as a team shouldn't be the primary goal on offense.

The bears have been running a dated offense for years now because Lovie knows absolutely nothing about the offensive side of the ball. The offense this year ranked near the bottom of the league yet again with Forte and Cutler healthy and Lovie considered it a success because of the 2k rushing yards.

Lovie is a good coach and if he admitted he doesn't know anything about offense and let someone else make the hires on that side of the ball I'd be fine with him. However, we're stuck with an offense that has been in the bottom 3rd of the NFL for years now and if Tice is promoted I don't see that changing.

Last edited by Atocep : 01-03-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #84
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Thanks. Someone has to be 2nd or there would be no first.

Hey, I live vicariously through those second place finishes. I'm a Dolphins fan after all.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #85
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Hey, I live vicariously through those second place finishes. I'm a Dolphins fan after all.

Nice! I like the Dolphins as well. Some good games between the Chargers and Dolphins...many years ago.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #86
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Nice! I like the Dolphins as well. Some good games between the Chargers and Dolphins...many years ago.

An added bonus is that it ensures we don't hire Norv as our next head coach.

My Dad loved the Chargers back when they had Fouts, Winslow and Joiner. I've kept one eye on them ever since.

Last edited by BillJasper : 01-03-2012 at 04:41 PM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #87
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
An added bonus is that it ensures we don't hire Norv as our next head coach.

My Dad loved the Chargers back when they had Fouts, Winslow and Joiner. I've kept one eye on them ever since.

That is very true. I wouldn't wish Turner as head coach on the Raiders, but, that's already happened. However, I would recommend him as Offensive Coordinator. Which I think he held that position in Miami?

Ah yes, the golden era of Air Coryell. The era where you didn't need a defense because your offense would score 45 points every game (except in the playoffs). Fouts, Winslow, Joiner, Chandler, John Jefferson, Chuck Muncie, Gil Byrd, Gary 'Big Hands' Johnson, Rolf Benirshcke and of course, intrepid back up to Fouts...Ed Luther.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #88
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I think the Bears might of been a WC if Cutler and Forte hadnt gone down

damn 1-5 in there last 6 games. I didn't realize the collapse was that bad. When your 2 best offensive weapons go down thats what happens.

Last edited by k0ruptr : 01-03-2012 at 05:09 PM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #89
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

This keeps coming up, but the reality changed when they went to 8 divisions years ago. Only 2 games each year are affected by the finish the year before. You still play 6 against your division, 4 against a division in the same conference, 4 against a division in the other conference, and 2 that match you up with the same place finisher in a different division (I believe it's the other 2 divisions within the conference, but not 100% sure). Those last 2 games are the only ones affected by your finish the year before.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #90
RendeR
Coordinator

You're right about that, but when you consider the someone in the AFC west in 3rd place will get the dolphins and Bengals while the 1st place team will get the Patriots and Ravens, I think it makes a huge difference. They might win 1 or both in 3rd place. They're not guaranteed winning either game in 1st place.

2 games where you go in hoping to not get killed and make a game of it is far worse than two games where you go in thinking you can take these guys.

And if you think 2 games can't change a season go talk to Philly, San Diego, or Tennessee, the Jets, raiders, chiefs etc etc.

Last edited by RendeR : 01-04-2012 at 09:59 AM.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #91
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
This keeps coming up, but the reality changed when they went to 8 divisions years ago. Only 2 games each year are affected by the finish the year before. You still play 6 against your division, 4 against a division in the same conference, 4 against a division in the other conference, and 2 that match you up with the same place finisher in a different division (I believe it's the other 2 divisions within the conference, but not 100% sure). Those last 2 games are the only ones affected by your finish the year before.

You don't watch many games where Norv Turner is the head coach of any given team do you? Trust me, with any other coach, your point is more than valid. With Norv, throw it all out the window. He's a great 3rd or 4th place schedule coach. He's great when the games don't matter. Not so much with those 1st place schedules and big games.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #92
JediKooter
Coordinator

Perfect title for this article linked below:

Norv Turner, A.J. Smith kept on by Chargers in baffling decision - Don Banks - SI.com

Old 01-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #93
TRO
College Prospect

Quote:
And if you think 2 games can't change a season go talk to Philly, San Diego, or Tennessee, the Jets, raiders, chiefs etc etc.

The Chiefs 2010 1st place schedule earned them the right to play the 2011 Colts.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #94
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
You're right about that, but when you consider the someone in the AFC west in 3rd place will get the dolphins and Bengals while the 1st place team will get the Patriots and Ravens, I think it makes a huge difference. They might win 1 or both in 3rd place. They're not guaranteed winning either game in 1st place.

2 games where you go in hoping to not get killed and make a game of it is far worse than two games where you go in thinking you can take these guys.

And if you think 2 games can't change a season go talk to the Jets, raiders, chiefs etc etc.

Raiders won their two position based games, as did Tennessee. Chiefs went 1-1, but would have lost tiebreakers if they had gone 2-0. The two games based off finish kept none of those teams out of the playoffs - their poor play did. Also, the Chargers won their two games based on place of finish, even beating #2 seed Baltimore.

As a Jet fan, I can tell you that THE game that kept them out of the playoffs was the Denver game. Have a lead with two minutes left, facing a high school quarterback. You've got to win. Jets went 1-1 in their two "place" games, but I would point to the 2-2 record against a terrible AFC West as the real reason they did not make it, not having had to play Baltimore. Their 2nd place finish also got them a game with Jacksonville, so it hardly doomed them.

Similarly, while Philly's two first place games were somewhat tough, and they lost both, like 4 other games, they had 4th quarter leads in both of those games. Was it their inability to hold those leads or their schedule that doomed them?

And, as TRO points out, these games don't always give you a tougher schedule. The 2010 NFC North championship earned the Bears games vs Philly and Seattle. Second place GB got New York and St. Louis, Third place Detroit got Dallas and San Francisco. I am not thinking the first place schedule doomed Chicago here.

I really think this "first place schedule, last place schedule" is the most overrated and overdiscussed things in the NFL. Play well, win games. Play poorly, lose games. Lose key players, your season tanks. Stay healthy, win games.

Also, in regard to who the teams in the NFC West will face, it is almost a certainty that one of the games you think will be easy will prove hard, and one that you think will be difficult will be easy. In other words, either Cincy will prove a tougher game than Baltimore, or Miami will prove easier than New England. I am confident in this because it happens every year.

Last edited by Samdari : 01-04-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #95
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Schefter just tweeted that Jeff Fisher has said he will choose between STL and MIA next week if he decides to coach at all in 2012.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #96
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am sure there is a good reason but looking at Jeff Fisher's body of work, I am struggling to see why he is the #1 free agent coach this offseason. Six winning seasons in 17 years as a head coach. One and done in three out his six playoff appearances.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #97
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I am sure there is a good reason but looking at Jeff Fisher's body of work, I am struggling to see why he is the #1 free agent coach this offseason. Six winning seasons in 17 years as a head coach. One and done in three out his six playoff appearances.
I've been banging that drum for years, but people basically told me to screw myself and just admit that Jeff Fisher is an awesome coach.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #98
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Annnnnd....Bears promote Tice to OC.

Le Sigh.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #99
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Annnnnd....Bears promote Tice to OC.

Le Sigh.

And it looks like they missed out on hiring both McKenzie and Decosta. Shocking that people are passing on that job when you're handcuffing them from the start.

At least we get to watch more 90s football with power running and low percentage, down the field passing.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #100
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I've been banging that drum for years, but people basically told me to screw myself and just admit that Jeff Fisher is an awesome coach.

I never really paid that much attention to him or the Titans so I don't know. He may be a great coach who was hamstrung by poor personnel men and a crazy owner. Now that may make him perfectly qualified to work for the Dolphins. I just don't what make him so much more desirable than other potential coaches. Maybe the NFL has soured on the"hotshot" coordinators and have decided to go back to recycling previous head coaches.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote