Mutumbo = Ben Wallace, Iverson = Hamilton + Billups

Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 11:01 PM   #52
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
Well F U too

I am not trying to start some stupid internet flame war, I am just stating that for me personally, your logic is flawed if you can only judge teams on the past, because there are a lot of good teams in the present who are turning it around but you're not seeing that.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 11:04 PM   #53
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
I am not trying to start some stupid internet flame war, I am just stating that for me personally, your logic is flawed if you can only judge teams on the past, because there are a lot of good teams in the present who are turning it around but you're not seeing that.

ok...and this is coming from?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 11:11 PM   #54
JeeberD
General Manager

Tonight's game made me happy...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 11:15 PM   #55
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Tonight's game made me happy...

It made me forget how bad work actually is.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:34 AM   #56
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Excellent! Very good to see. It's interesting, the "game recap" on ESPN doesn't once mention any Piston. Basically it just goes on to talk about how poorly the Lakers (besides Kobe and Shaq) played. Well, no reason to fret over that.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 02:29 AM   #57
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Hopefully the Pistons don't turn out to play like philly did. The Lakers are a great team and I wouldn't be surprised if they win 3 in a row. I doubt they could run the table on the Pistons. Detroit is a way better team than Philly was. Thr 76ers only had Iverson and Snow basically, and didn't much of a inside game. Hopefully the Pistons can pull it out and I can see all the Laker fans cry.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:52 AM   #58
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Good win for the Pistons. They executed very well on defense and hit the shots they needed to hit. However, they were a little sloppy, especially in the first half, and I don't think they can get away again with making some of the mistakes they made. This was the game they needed to get to make a series out of it, and they came through.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 01:29 PM   #59
korme
Go Reds

Sharpieman! Watch out!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 01:32 PM   #60
rkmsuf
Head Coach

what a shocking lack of effort last night by the Fakers. Unbeleivable. It's amazing not show up for the opening game of the finals.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:53 PM   #61
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

How come everytime the Lakers lose its only because they gave a lack of effort?

Give Detroit its proper due, they took care of business where a lot of people did not think they could (in LA.)
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 07:35 PM   #62
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua
How come everytime the Lakers lose its only because they gave a lack of effort?

Give Detroit its proper due, they took care of business where a lot of people did not think they could (in LA.)

I completely agree with this, it seems like no matter how good the opposing team plays the "Fakers" (nice name, rkmsuf ) the only reason the Lakers lose is because a "lack of effort." Bullshit, the Pistons played them well, turned the ball over a billion times and the Lakers still couldn't manage to put them away. The Pistons didn't play pretty basketball by any stretch of the word last night either, turnovers were a huge problem and Rip didn't have the game he should have had, but that doesn't mean that the Pistons won simply because the Lakers decided they weren't going to try, please.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:54 PM   #63
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

A nice quote from the Sports Guy, a renowned Pro-NBA/Anti-NHL guy for years...

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/040608

But it could happen. If the Lakers blow the title, it would have to rank among the most curious collapses in recent sports history: An obviously superior team that fell short because they didn't want it enough. Contrast that to the emotional scene in Tampa Bay last night, as the Lightning held off the underdog Flames in seven, both teams leaving everything they had on the ice. After the game, an exhausted Martin St. Louis was interviewed by one of the sideline reporters, two fresh gashes covering his face, looking like he had just been run over by Billy Joel. It was a stark contrast from Game 1 of the NBA Finals the night before, the Lakers trying to win a title without breaking a sweat.

And as Dave Andreychuk carried the cup around, screaming with delight at the end of a 22-year odyssey, I couldn't help thinking about the difference between him and Malone and Payton -- three guys at the same point of their careers, one of them reaching the promised land on his own terms, the other two guys looking like they just want the season to end.

I still think the Lakers win in six ... but for the first time in years, I already find myself missing the NHL playoffs. At least those guys cared.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 01:04 PM   #64
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFan10
I completely agree with this, it seems like no matter how good the opposing team plays the "Fakers" (nice name, rkmsuf ) the only reason the Lakers lose is because a "lack of effort." Bullshit, the Pistons played them well, turned the ball over a billion times and the Lakers still couldn't manage to put them away. The Pistons didn't play pretty basketball by any stretch of the word last night either, turnovers were a huge problem and Rip didn't have the game he should have had, but that doesn't mean that the Pistons won simply because the Lakers decided they weren't going to try, please.

Not the only reason but it was a factor. The Lakers put zero effort into moving the ball and for a Finals game their intensity was shameful. Detroit deserves credit but by no means got a maximum effort out of LA.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:19 PM   #65
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Not the only reason but it was a factor. The Lakers put zero effort into moving the ball and for a Finals game their intensity was shameful. Detroit deserves credit but by no means got a maximum effort out of LA.

I dunno, Larry Brown was quoted during the game as saying that the Lakers weren't guarding anyone, so I'd say that's a lack of effort. Of course, I'm assuming he is talking about everyone BUT Kobe.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:57 PM   #66
MrBug708
Head Coach

Where is the bump at? It's a good game
Old 06-08-2004, 10:02 PM   #67
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Good game indeed, I agree. I kept checking here looking for this thread.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:03 PM   #68
MrBug708
Head Coach

Two quick 3's and Luke Walton is playing?!?

It's always someone....
Old 06-08-2004, 10:04 PM   #69
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

LoL.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:10 PM   #70
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Luke Walton is the "energy" player for the Lakers tonight, he's gotten some minutes and now Phil is turning to him to "spark" the rest of the team. Phil is known for this, he used this same strategy back in '92 when the Bulls were down about 15 to the Blazers going into the fourth qtr. An entire second team came in and pulled off an amazing comeback.

Looks like LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKE is the guy he's chosen for this tonight.

Last edited by LionsFan10 : 06-08-2004 at 10:11 PM.
LionsFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 10:13 PM   #71
MrBug708
Head Coach

Britney Spears thinks he's hot FWIW
Old 06-08-2004, 10:21 PM   #72
Anthony
Banned

yeesh, the NBA has to do something about these games ending so late. how are they expecting little kids to stay up for this? this is almost as bad as MNF.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 10:23 PM   #73
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Yeah, I don't know what ABC was thinking there either. When your 8 yr olds role model is on at midnight I guess lil' Johnny is SoL. Bad move.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:28 PM   #74
MrBug708
Head Coach

It's only 830 here.

HEre come the scrubs. Kobe, Shaq, Rush, Fisher, and Walton!
Old 06-08-2004, 10:37 PM   #75
Suicane75
Coordinator

Im happy I was wrong, this could be a great series.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 10:49 PM   #76
DeToxRox
Head Coach

This is insanity. Detroit keeps plugging away. I am in shock.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:51 PM   #77
DeToxRox
Head Coach

what a rebound by the best defensive player in the NBA, no matter what the voters said this year.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:57 PM   #78
sooner333
College Starter

Cluth shot by Kobe...damn.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 10:57 PM   #79
MikeVic
Head Coach

Damn Kobe. heh.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 10:57 PM   #80
DeToxRox
Head Coach

huge shot. this is damn good bball.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:58 PM   #81
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Seriously, did anyone think there was even a SLIGHT chance that wasn't going in?
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 10:58 PM   #82
Vince
Pro Starter

Wow. That was a fantastic shot...but what was Rip doing stepping back? Not that he gave him a lot of room...
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 11:06 PM   #83
korme
Go Reds

first of all, 89-89 at the end of regulation?? PISTONS?
Old 06-08-2004, 11:07 PM   #84
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

This one's all but over, but great game by both teams. Pistons gave this one away, it should've been theirs.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:11 PM   #85
Vince
Pro Starter

Luke Walton is now officially my hero.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:11 PM   #86
korme
Go Reds

man, let it slip away
Old 06-08-2004, 11:14 PM   #87
MrBug708
Head Coach

How can anyone doubt Kobe as the best non Post player in the NBA? Sad to see him on the Suns/Clips/Bobcats next year....
Old 06-08-2004, 11:14 PM   #88
MrBug708
Head Coach

Dola

Rasheed, Deja Vu of the 2000 game, watching Shaq slam it home to seal a key game?
Old 06-08-2004, 11:14 PM   #89
korme
Go Reds

bobcats, lol
Old 06-08-2004, 11:18 PM   #90
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Bug, you really think Kobe is gone after this year? I thought he said he'd like to stay, but I might be wrong.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:23 PM   #91
MrBug708
Head Coach

It's just media speak right now, so who knows. I couldn't imagine anyone not stopping to hear the chants of love the city of LA has for a person, the way Kobe is in this town. I know he wants to be the biggest person on a franchise and he'll never be "the biggest" on the Lakers. But the Lakers is where he's been and where he'll get paid the most money to be on. We shall see I guess

I hope Neuqua is crying
Old 06-08-2004, 11:26 PM   #92
Vince
Pro Starter

Shaq's getting old, right? Kobe's not all that old, right? Couldn't the Lakers EVENTUALLY be Kobe's team?
Old 06-08-2004, 11:26 PM   #93
kingfc22
Head Coach

Kobe. Kobe. Kobe. Damn that guy can play.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:27 PM   #94
rexallllsc
Banned

Where is druez? Still think McGrady > Kobe?

Heh.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 11:27 PM   #95
MrBug708
Head Coach

It's not so much the fact Kobe wants to be the leader of the team, I think he wants to be the name you think o when you think of a franchise. When you think Bulls, you think Jordan. I doubt Kobe will be averaging enough points to make everyone forget the likes of Kareem, Magic, Shaq, Wilt, Mikan et al
Old 06-08-2004, 11:28 PM   #96
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc
Where is druez? Still think McGrady > Kobe?

Heh.
Fix Fix Fix!
Old 06-08-2004, 11:35 PM   #97
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
It's not so much the fact Kobe wants to be the leader of the team, I think he wants to be the name you think o when you think of a franchise. When you think Bulls, you think Jordan. I doubt Kobe will be averaging enough points to make everyone forget the likes of Kareem, Magic, Shaq, Wilt, Mikan et al

Well, if he sticks around long enough, he'll have the rings to prove himself.

I think the idea of playing somewhere else sounds great, but in the end, he'll stay.

Just my $.02
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 11:39 PM   #98
MrBug708
Head Coach

Outscored 16-2 to end the game. Do you think this will be a pretty big emotional block for the Pistons?
Old 06-08-2004, 11:48 PM   #99
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

It's hard to judge right now. I think the Pistons know they can beat the Lakers, I mean you figure the game was theirs, it's just Kobe is an AMAZING player and they have never been through that kind of crushing play before, much less in the NBA Finals.

You could see it on their faces after that shot, they were quite deflated. Now, they have to come to Detroit and play three behind just as rabid a fanbase as anything out in LA so their spirits will stay in-tact I think. To me, this was just the first time having something like this happen to them, in a game they thought they had in the bag and they had NO idea how to answer it.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:50 PM   #100
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Kobe made a clutch shot today, an incredible shot no doubt.

But uh, what does that have to do with him becoming the best non-post player in the league because of it?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote