Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-14-2004, 09:32 AM   #51
MikeVic
Head Coach

I think I read in that article that the Nets players weren't angry either, and Jefferson said soemthing like: "They've had a bad season. If they can find a way to do something positive, then let them."

I agree now that the justification the NBA used is solid... but I still don't like them just erasing a FG attempt and rebound. hey did this the next day too, didn't they? It wasn't right after the rebound... if the game ends, isn't it an "official" box score that gets submitted?

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:14 AM   #52
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

When the hell was the last time we CARED about Bob Sura? Back when he was Bobby Sura. That was like..I dunno, a few aeons ago. The guy put him good numbers two nights in a row. His teammates, coaches and everybody else - even the Nets who weren't guarding him when he did it - recognized the guy wanted a moment in the sun.

Truth is, if he hadn't done it, we wouldn't be talking about his back-to-back triple doubles in the first place. The NBA is keeping itself in the express lane to Naturally Boring Association.

But oh well.. its done now. I think they were just trying to set a precedent and deterring people from doing it. So, I can understand the decision. I just don't think it was necessary.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:23 AM   #53
Easy Mac

so what if he grabbed the rebound then immediately put in the red? what would the NBA have done there?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:30 AM   #54
Hammer755
High School Varsity

My question, after the resurgance in BobSura talk, is how did he average 8.5 boards a game in 26 games for Atlanta?
Old 04-14-2004, 10:32 AM   #55
Easy Mac

intentionally missing shots.. of course this is the hawks.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:42 AM   #56
KevinNU7
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
On the one hand, I think this is silly because with all the problems the NBA has, whether or not Bobby Sura got a triple double isn't even on the radar. How about teaching these thugs to shoot a jumper or get the weed and the guns out of everybody's hands? No, we need to crack down on manipulation of meaningless stats.

On the other hand, it seems silly because they are saying that they are not counting the miss and the rebound because it was intentional. That's like saying they are not going to count a Barry Bonds home run because he "intentionally" tried to hit.

I'm not saying it wasn't cheap -- it was -- but who cares? I understand that Sura did something "negative" while Bonds is trying to do something "positive." But is it any different than when Kobe turned into a chucker to try and keep his 40-point game streak alive last year? Should the NBA have taken away points from him because he was desperately trying to keep a streak alive?
So if someone was trying to break the double record in baseball and they stopped at 2nd on a homerun you wouldn't ahve a problem with that?
Old 04-14-2004, 10:42 AM   #57
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Leave Bob Sura alone. He went to FSU...but he's a basketball player. He's got an inferiority complex to begin with!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:45 AM   #58
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNU7
So if someone was trying to break the double record in baseball and they stopped at 2nd on a homerun you wouldn't ahve a problem with that?

I don't think he could stop at second, but what about a guy going for a cycle - he needs a single and slices one down the line, but jogs down to first and stops (maybe even pretending to pull up lame to give it some legitimacy) or runs just slow enough that he gets thrown out at 2nd (thus giving him an official single). That seems to be about the same thing. I'm not sure what MLB could do about it, but much like the Strahan sack, it would seem cheap.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 11:48 AM   #59
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

kcchief19- That comment was not cool at ALL!
Old 04-14-2004, 02:14 PM   #60
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
I don't think he could stop at second, but what about a guy going for a cycle - he needs a single and slices one down the line, but jogs down to first and stops (maybe even pretending to pull up lame to give it some legitimacy) or runs just slow enough that he gets thrown out at 2nd (thus giving him an official single). That seems to be about the same thing. I'm not sure what MLB could do about it, but much like the Strahan sack, it would seem cheap.

This happens though and managers usually say they don't care, so long as it doesn't affect the game. 'course, in a basketball game that was over and his team had already won by a lot, I don't see how it makes a difference.

That said, how DID Bob Sura average that many boards a game? I don't remember him being that tall. Didn't he play with Charlie Ward @ FSU?
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 02:17 PM   #61
rkmsuf
Head Coach

As I recall Sura was a huge black hole in college.

As far as rebounding he is one of the better garbage time players out there.

Last edited by rkmsuf : 04-14-2004 at 02:17 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote