Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-20-2016, 05:10 PM   #51
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
Is there any one particular screen this happens on for you? Can you give me your screen res and O/S?

Windows 10, 1920x1080.

Roster screen is a good example - I think it's the table. If I click roster, click 'Main', then cancel, the Main dialog is still visible. If I click on the roster, from the player I click upwards is now the roster display, but below that is the ghost of the rest of the dialog.

Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:01 PM   #52
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Quote:
This is an area I would love feedback on from everyone. Obviously you can turn this option off when starting a league but for those who like this sort of thing is there a better way to handle it? Should the sim not stop for it but popup some kind of other notification? Should the amount of incidents be turned down but make it really devastating when they happen as opposed to small declines in relationship and chemistry with each one? All thoughts are welcome on how to improve the feature.

Thank you for the nice words about the other areas you like and think are done well. It's always good to hear what works well too

It should happen less and there should be different stories behind each fight to keep things fresh. Fights over playing time, card games, girls, maybe even with the trainer...
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:53 PM   #53
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding View Post
It should happen less and there should be different stories behind each fight to keep things fresh. Fights over playing time, card games, girls, maybe even with the trainer...

Should I add players showing up to houses and punching coaches too?
Old 02-20-2016, 08:01 PM   #54
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Yes. It is a nice feature but when it becomes a chore(happening too often) it becomes annoying.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:19 PM   #55
TroyF
Coordinator

Going through some more quick sims, this time a longer duration.

It is possible to build your team up through the draft. . . but what I'm finding is that it is a lot like the real NBA. You don't have that 5 star superstar, you are going to find it rough. So far, in my current dynasty, I've went through 3 drafts and none of those had the superstar talent. I've worked hard to compete as well as I can without that superstar or big free agent signings.

My guess is I don't make the playoffs in t his fourth year either. I have a team full of 3 stars that I think gel together really well. . . but not having the key man is a killer. Hopefully I find him in FA or through the draft this year.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:12 PM   #56
TroyF
Coordinator

I have went through a 3 year career (currently in my 4th)

Here are some of the tidbits from around the league:

1) I finally got the breaks I needed. A 5 star draftee developed into a dominant PF. I was then able to get DeMarcus Cousins as my first huge FA get. The main reason is he had injured his MCL and was going to miss a majority of the next season. I inked him to a four year max deal anyway, hoping the knee would be ok. It was and in the meantime I grabbed a solid SF in the draft and Andrew Wiggins accepted my offer to be my second huge FA get.

Made the playoffs last year (40-42 without Wiggins) and have started this year off very well. 7-4 against a brutal schedule which has included 2 games vs. Golden St and 1 at Philly (more on them in a second) and 1 vs Minnesota (don't worry, the loss of Wiggins didn't impact them) 3 of the lost games were due to an injury to that PF I spoke of. He's back now and I've won 5 in a row. The power rankings has me at #4 in the league.

2) The Warriors have won 4 straight titles and have 3 straight 70 win seasons. Curry is simply dominant. He's averaged over 30 points and 8 assists a game every year. This includes hitting over 50% of his threes. Draymond Green is his sidekick. Thompson decided it was time to go this offseason. I thought they might regress a little bit, but they are 9-1. Draymond and Curry are averaging 56 points a game by themselves and the role players are stepping up well.

3) The Beast of the East? Philadelphia. Okafor developed into a star. Embid is a solid backup C. They drafted a stud SG who panned out well. Then over the course of two years, history was changed. First, Durant decided to sign with them. Then Westbrook decided Philly was the place he wanted to be. Rather than compete with the Warriors in the West, the joined Okafor and the stud SG out East. and won 67 games last year. (this was with some injuries) They lost to the Warriors in the Finals , but are now 8-2 and are primed for another run.

4) Minnesota nailed a couple of draft picks and Karl-Anthony Towns developed into a monster. They now have their set of 5 star triplets and look pretty damned good. That was one of the reasons they let Wiggins go. (one of the stud kids is a SG)

5) Last team I'll mention is the Celtics. They are second to the Sixers in the East now and they are doing it the old Detroit way. They have nothing but 3 or 3.5 guys up and down the roster. No flat out stars, but a bunch of good players. The game does show different ways to succeed and builds teams differently.

6) The best draft picks over the four years - I looked at everyone my scouts rated 4 or above. Here is where they went in the draft:

First Pick - 4 (all 4 hit, I can promise you this isn't always the case. In other careers I've seen the first pick blown and in one of them I blew two in a row)

2nd through 10th picks - 15 players

11th through end of first round - 7

Second Round - 2 (and one of these guys made 2nd team all league last year. A SG who kills it)

Last thing - I intentionally avoided talking about what happened to poor OKC above. The result is as you would expect. Ibaka also ditched them and they are now the favorites for the #1 pick in the draft.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:54 PM   #57
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

What type of offense and defense are you running? Or are you taking more of a hands-off gm approach? Thanks for the impressions so far!
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:00 PM   #58
wustin
College Prospect

You gotta mess with the offensive strategy pies for a few teams. Like the pie for GSW is completely wrong. I simmed a few games with the default distributions and the team could barely average over 100ppg and not a lot of assists. I cranked up motion and transition and everything shot up.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:32 AM   #59
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
You gotta mess with the offensive strategy pies for a few teams. Like the pie for GSW is completely wrong. I simmed a few games with the default distributions and the team could barely average over 100ppg and not a lot of assists. I cranked up motion and transition and everything shot up.

Are you sure in those simulations that Curry didn't get hurt or something like that? I've simmed the 2015-16 season hundreds of times by this point and the only times I've ever seen GSW not in the top 3 in PPG was because of injury. They almost always average 110+ PPG
Old 02-22-2016, 09:34 AM   #60
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post

Then I guess the computer coach is doing amazing things when you don't control Golden State. As posted above, they have been the dominant force in my long career. They've won the title every year, been the highest scoring team every year and have rattled off 70 win seasons like they are M&M's.

They lost Thompson this offseason in my game and have not missed a beat. They signed a game generated 3 point bomber at SG to replace Thompson and are sitting at 23-3 with Curry averaging over 33 points and 8 assists a game.

In my Nuggets career, I have never beat them one time. (I think it's up to like 0-15 now)
Old 02-22-2016, 09:39 AM   #61
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding View Post
What type of offense and defense are you running? Or are you taking more of a hands-off gm approach? Thanks for the impressions so far!

I'm taking a hands off approach with this career and for the most part, I have not disagreed with most of my coaches strategy. There are clearly things I could have done better in getting this team up to help the coach out. Cousins and Wiggins were great gets, but they hurt my PF scoring a bit. I also have a PG who scores too much and would have been much, much better off with a PG who passes it off more.

Team building is CRITICAL in this game. If you look at my roster, I now have 2 guys who like to play in the post and score a lot, a SG who likes to shoot it often and a PG who is good, but not great trying to take too many shots. I'm now a playoff team, but I'm not going to go far in the playoffs with the way I have it set up.

The next time through, I'm going to be far more patient and try to set the team up better.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:32 AM   #62
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
There are clearly things I could have done better in getting this team up to help the coach out. Cousins and Wiggins were great gets, but they hurt my PF scoring a bit. I also have a PG who scores too much and would have been much, much better off with a PG who passes it off more.

Team building is CRITICAL in this game. If you look at my roster, I now have 2 guys who like to play in the post and score a lot, a SG who likes to shoot it often and a PG who is good, but not great trying to take too many shots. I'm now a playoff team, but I'm not going to go far in the playoffs with the way I have it set up.

This was EXACTLY my goal in bringing in the new ratings categories and rebuilding the game engine. I want players to have to assemble parts that fit together. If you have a point guard who looks to shoot I want him to take away possessions from guys you would rather have it go to because that's what a shoot first point guard does. When that guy is really, really good its not a problem. When he's average you think about what would have happened if 4 or 5 more possessions would have gone to your other players.

I'm very happy to see someone with the NBA chops that Troy has enjoying the game. We've got one update out already with a second coming today or tomorrow to clean up some issues and then I am going to look to address some of the things like maybe doing the player attitude squabbles differently to really enhance the game but I'm extremely happy that the new player setups are working out so well because that was my primary focus in this version and I think its going to make for a very replayable game.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:11 PM   #63
djsatu
High School Varsity

Quote:
I'm taking a hands off approach with this career and for the most part, I have not disagreed with most of my coaches strategy. There are clearly things I could have done better in getting this team up to help the coach out. Cousins and Wiggins were great gets, but they hurt my PF scoring a bit. I also have a PG who scores too much and would have been much, much better off with a PG who passes it off more.

The next time through, I'm going to be far more patient and try to set the team up better.

Hey man do you mind posting some pics of your game over the years of simming so far? Would love to see first rounders that completely busted, 2nd rounder that turned out to be gems, and just to see what your team/coach's looks like. Thanks!

Last edited by djsatu : 02-22-2016 at 01:11 PM.
djsatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:23 PM   #64
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsatu View Post
Hey man do you mind posting some pics of your game over the years of simming so far? Would love to see first rounders that completely busted, 2nd rounder that turned out to be gems, and just to see what your team/coach's looks like. Thanks!

I've been fast simming seasons and deleting the data afterwards. I have my last career saved. There were no busts at #1 in that 4 year stretch (though only 1 of the 4 is a flat out superstar)

I'll see what I can do with some screen shots.

One more piece of advice for anyone getting the game: Don't rely on the "mock draft" Scout guys you like, scout guys with good stats, scout guys your coaches like a lot. . . but don't rely on the mock. I was really pumped up in one of these drafts. I had the 4th pick in the draft and my scouting showed a guy to bigtime player. It also had him projected to go 14th. I was sure I would get the guy. I even made a trade to free up a spot in the starting lineup for him. Then the Lakers took him with the 2nd pick. (F the Lakers, seriously, I hate that team)

I've also looked at who the mock projected me to take #1 and found guys I wouldn't take in the second round. (not a fit for my roster, horrible attitude and work ethic, etc)
Old 02-22-2016, 03:27 PM   #65
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
Are you sure in those simulations that Curry didn't get hurt or something like that? I've simmed the 2015-16 season hundreds of times by this point and the only times I've ever seen GSW not in the top 3 in PPG was because of injury. They almost always average 110+ PPG

I got different results going into games individually and letting the CPU handle my own substitutions and what not (default sub matrix doesn't have the smallball lineup with Draymond at center, has McAdoo as a shooting guard instead of a forward, Looney is in the lineup over Speights) than just straight simming through the season. With the latter, yeah GSW would average ~115ppg.

Of course my sample size is only limited to like less than 10 runs of the same season through the demo. I would bite the bullet if it weren't for all the crashes. Found out last night I can get te game to crash if I go into commish mode, edit the player ratings and start entering random strings.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:31 PM   #66
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
Then I guess the computer coach is doing amazing things when you don't control Golden State. As posted above, they have been the dominant force in my long career. They've won the title every year, been the highest scoring team every year and have rattled off 70 win seasons like they are M&M's.

They lost Thompson this offseason in my game and have not missed a beat. They signed a game generated 3 point bomber at SG to replace Thompson and are sitting at 23-3 with Curry averaging over 33 points and 8 assists a game.

In my Nuggets career, I have never beat them one time. (I think it's up to like 0-15 now)

Oh don't get me wrong whenever I sim using GSW the team dominates and wins but the stats are just wonky when it's a user-controlled sim for each game at default settings.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:05 AM   #67
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Had a really nice interview done calling DDS:PB 2016 the best basketball sim on the market. Check it out!

The Best Basketball Simulation Game on the Market | THE BIG MIKE BLOG
Old 03-01-2016, 10:44 AM   #68
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Now I might have to restart with dynamic ratings on.

Love the UI.. and all the information at 1920x1200 resolution!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:56 AM   #69
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Had a really nice interview done calling DDS:PB 2016 the best basketball sim on the market. Check it out!

The Best Basketball Simulation Game on the Market | THE BIG MIKE BLOG

Quick question. Thought I'd ask in the forum in case anyone else had this question. I've never played this game as multiplayer career. Looking to buy multiple licenses for my friends to get them involved. How does the commish work in multiplayer? Is it a situation where there's a file you have to e-mail/download each time you run a time period?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:10 AM   #70
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

There's two ways you can do it - either you distribute the files and allow the other owners to download them and make their changes and send export files back to you which you download, import and click or you can make all the moves as commissioner if they wanted to tell you what to do. In either case you as the commissioner have to make trades and pickups during the season in order to keep the files in tact (can't have multiple teams trying to sign the same guy mid season).

There is an option to automate the file uploading and downloading though so that you don't have to do it all manually - you just put in the FTP info and then click the upload/download buttons and your league owners can download the files with the click of a button as well and submit their files that way too.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:15 AM   #71
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Anyone have all the mods (logos, courts, jerseys, etc) in one nice ZIP file?

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-01-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:08 PM   #72
APC
Mascot

Enjoying the game so far, but is there any way to boost sim speeds? It takes about 20 minutes just to sim a month.
APC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:25 PM   #73
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

20 minutes??? What are your system specs? Are you running other programs? Did you happen to turn the Euro leagues on in the game?

I've never heard anyone tell me it takes that long - I just fired up a sim to time it and it simmed the entire season in 6 minutes
Old 03-01-2016, 06:39 PM   #74
APC
Mascot

Quote:
20 minutes??? What are your system specs? Are you running other programs? Did you happen to turn the Euro leagues on in the game?

I've never heard anyone tell me it takes that long - I just fired up a sim to time it and it simmed the entire season in 6 minutes

Hmmm.....gotta be something w/ my PC then. I do have Euro leagues on, but that still shouldn't slow it down that much, right? I'll give it another run tomorrow.
APC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:41 PM   #75
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

The euro leagues do slow it down some because its adding more than double the teams to sim games for and make decisions for but shouldn't be to that level
Old 03-02-2016, 08:58 PM   #76
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Ok I figured out all the mod stuff. Starting in 1976 with the Bucks, going in blind for a couple of years when I actually starting following the NBA as a youngster.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:13 PM   #77
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Cool - be sure to report back on how you are doing.

BTW I just released the 1.3 update - more updates to come as I continue to tweak and add other items to continue to improve the game.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:58 PM   #78
korme
Go Reds

Would there ever be a way to have a name/college mask for the historical replay?

For instance for the drafts and the scouting leading up to it, all of the historical players have randomized names and colleges until you select them and then their real names appear. It would take some of the obviousness out of it and actually create a ton of excitement.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:21 PM   #79
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Would there ever be a way to have a name/college mask for the historical replay?

For instance for the drafts and the scouting leading up to it, all of the historical players have randomized names and colleges until you select them and then their real names appear. It would take some of the obviousness out of it and actually create a ton of excitement.

Wouldn't you know the 6'9. 220lb SF who has a ton of points in the 1978 draft is Larry Bird regardless? I like the premise but I don't know if its practical
Old 03-03-2016, 07:26 PM   #80
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Wouldn't you know the 6'9. 220lb SF who has a ton of points in the 1978 draft is Larry Bird regardless? I like the premise but I don't know if its practical

Sure, but it's maybe better for picks 3-20 in each draft. Can you imagine 1989? "Hell yeah, Tim Hardaway!!!!" "Awww, shit, BJ Armstrong."
Old 03-03-2016, 07:32 PM   #81
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I think the CPU teams know these are good players though and will draft accordingly.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:33 PM   #82
tarcone
Coordinator

BJ Armstrong was a great player (Iowa bias rearing its head)

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:40 PM   #83
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
BJ Armstrong was a great player (Iowa bias rearing its head)

Hey, I loved BJ! But he's not moving the needle like a Timmy Hardaway!
Old 03-03-2016, 08:13 PM   #84
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

BJ Armstrong and I went to the same high school (not at the same time though - so there's your random, useless fact of the day)
Old 03-03-2016, 09:32 PM   #85
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Small world, my buddy graduated from Brother Rice. A couple years ago I played in the alumni league as a guest player.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:43 PM   #86
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Bump for the 4th update. In an effort to better serve you guys I've been just releasing much quicker updates as opposed to sitting on a bunch of stuff for large updates. You can see all the fixes, tweaks and improvements in the thread below.

• View topic - DDS:PB 2016 Game Files - latest version 1.4
Old 03-06-2016, 12:07 AM   #87
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Gonna give the demo a whirl.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:26 AM   #88
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Cool - we had to reupload the install file this morning because something happened with the schedule file when creating the build so if you did get 1.4 already go to our forums and redownload it again
Old 03-06-2016, 12:32 PM   #89
TroyF
Coordinator

For the heck of it, let's analyze the drafting process.

I'm the Nuggets and the I am getting ready for the 2017 NBA draft. I have gutted the team. Gone are Faried, Chandler, Gallinari and Mudilay. (I was planning on keeping Mudilay, but got offered a #1 for him from Phoenix and pulled the trigger) I ended up with the #1 and #2 pick in the draft in 2016. I took a stud PF and a SF who could can score and defend very well. I also grabbed a pass first PG in the early second round and Jokic has developed into a very good C. I have Harris/Barton sharing the SG duties. Nurkic is the backup C and will likely be dealt if I get a good offer.

WORKOUTS: My needs are SG, depth at the SF, PF and C positions and an above average PG. As I pick in the mid twenties, I'm looking for depth and scout accordingly. A guy my scouts like is a guy named Terrance Lenzly. He's a PF out of Arizona with a very good attitude and work ethic. He's a decent scorer (which is good for me as I need something off the bench) He's an A at defending. His weaknesses are ball handling, offensive rebounding, and athleticism. This guy is not going to be a star, but my scouts feel it is clear he is going to be a rotation player. He's not projected to go in the first round. He gets to me and I'm snagging him. The draft is pretty strong, I will be biting my nails, but I think this guy just might get to me. (note: the standard scout has him as a 2/3 guy, my scouts say 2/4)

DRAFT: He does fall to me and I snag him. Let's look at his numbers:

first number actual, second number potential out of 10

8/9 inside shooting, 1/2 outside shooting, 7/8 free throw shooting. 5/6 scoring, 2/3 passing, 1/2 ball handling. 3/4 offensive rebounding, 7/9 defensive rebounding, 9/10 defensive ability, 2/2 shot blocking, 1/1 steals

I scored. The defensive rating is overblown a little. He can't block shots or steal which indicates the athleticism is bad and great PF and C will probably destroy him. But he can score, shoot and stay in front of his man and at 6'11 he can be a great rotation player for me.

Let's grade some of the other teams:

Atlanta - They had the 15th pick in the draft and grabbed a 6'9" center. He's a solid shooter both in and out and a good rebounder. He can't draw fouls and like my big, has no shot blocking ability at all. The game says they got 2 out o4 4 player (out of 5 balls) This is great on it's surface. It looks to me like they got an undersized C who likes to play on the outside and has no ball handling skills.

Charlotte - With the 11th pick, they also took a C. He's average at just about everything. He was projected in the Top 10, but my scouts didn't like him. I would rather have the PF/C that I took at 25 than this guy.

Cleveland - Another C, this time at #5 (sorry Cavs fans, Bron blew out his ACL and missed a majority of the season, they were a really, really bad team) this C could either be the steal of the draft or an amazing bust depending on how he develops. he's rated as a 3 out of 10 in scoring, rebounding and shot blocking. He's a 1 in defense. In the first set of categories, his potential is 10. He can be a 5/10 defender. He can shoot it (6/8 inside, 7/8 outside) He can draw fouls. This is either one of the top 5 Centers in the league or a bust depending on the next few years. Hes a 1.5 out of 5 with a 5 out of 5 overall potential right now.

Memphis - They had the number 1 pick in the draft and took a PG from Tennessee. Stephen Bowen. With just slight development, this kid is going to be a star. An 8 shooting (both inside and outside) great ball handling and passing 6 now with the potential for 8) Great at drawing fouls. The two spots for development: He's a 5/9 in scoring and a 5/9 in defense right now. Even without any further development there, he's an all star. Those two things develop, he's going to be challenging Curry and Westbrook for the Western Conference starting PG spot in the all star game.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:52 PM   #90
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Glad to see you enjoying the game so much Troy - I definitely like reading the comments of how people are playing and what they are experiencing.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:34 AM   #91
TroyF
Coordinator

After spending a ridiculous amount of time with this game, I'm going to write a quick review here for anyone who is either on the fence or is curious about purchasing it.

I'm going to start this off by saying, if you want to cheat the game, you can. You can rerun the lottery 20 times until you get the #1 pick. (and I did this on occasion as I was testing the game) You get really good with drafting and you can take second rounders and develop them into players some teams will give a #1 pick for. Some of those teams end up in the lottery. The one dynasty I built started with some cheating (I'm going to get the #1 pick no matter what) and continued because I got very lucky with trading very good players for lottery picks. Some of those lotteries I won by luck and ended up with a high pick. That helped stock my team up and I never had to deal a ton of salary cap issues because of it. Keep in mind, I cheated to get there and abused the game AI in ways Gary could not have foreseen to do this. If you get good and want to trade your 8th player in your rotation for a potential lottery pick, enjoy. This review is for the FOFCers who want a challenge.

The first thing I'll say about this game is that if you play with none of the fail safes (you allow yourself to get fired, you only GM the game and hire the coaches, etc) it is brutal.

Take a mediocre team where the owner is impatient and a spend thrift and see if you can survive three years. I'm betting most of you won't until you learn the mechanics of the game. Even then, you will be challenged. Let's say you try to rebuild your first season and you get to the draft and find it is a weak draft with no superstar available. Without hitting the lottery in free agency, you will end up being crappy again. You hire a high priced coach to help you win a few close games. The next year you do get lucky and draft an amazing PF who posts up to the basket 65% of the time. Your second best player likes to post up 60% of the time and your PG loves to drive the lane. That high priced coach you hired loves to play fast. Ummmmm. . . good luck with that.

Team building in this game matters. I've said it in earlier posts, but changing the chemistry of the team can have very bad consequences. One year I had a dream team. A dominant PG who could score and pass. A SF who was one of the best all around players I have ever seen in the game. (he averaged 24.6 points, 7.8 assists and 8.4 rebounds a game at the age of 23) A low post guy who excelled at offensive rebounding. A PF/SG who were top level defenders and had low ratings in scoring, but good ratings in shooting. Perfect complimentary players.

Leading the second group, was a mid first round pick who was a major steal in the draft for me. Scoring rating of 7 and good numbers across the board. I was slowly working him in with the idea of him earning a starting spot the following year. Well, my starting PF went down with an injury. At the time I was 15-3. The kid moved into the starting lineup. Instead of coming on as a scoring option when one of my three stars was out, he was now playing WITH those three stars. Instead of having a defensive, unselfish PF, I had an offensive guy who wanted shots, leaving with 2 guys at 8 in scoring, 1 with a 7 and one with a 6.

Was I still good? Of course I was. They are still stars. It wasn't 15-3 good though. Over the next 18 games I went 11-7. Over the course of the season I grabbed the number 2 seed and then went out in the conference semis. If I were playing most any other sports sim, the loss of that player would have had a minimal impact. In this game, that was a soul crushing blow. As a side note, my team stayed intact for the next season and went 64-18. They lost 3 games in the playoffs and won the title.

Having simmed countless seasons and drafts, I made just about every mistake you can make. Build a team who should run and shoot threes. . . and have a slow down coach coaching them. Build a deep team and have a coach who likes a short bench. Then the combo PG/SG I thought could give me a solid 15 minutes a game ends up on the bench and throws a fit to the coach because he isn't getting playing time. Too many post players, too offensive minded, too defensive minded. . . name a mistake and I promise you I made it.

At the end of the day, that's the amazing thing about this game. Your mistakes have real consequences here. And to me they don't feel like "cheap" consequences.

If you like basketball and text sims, you should give this one a try.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:44 AM   #92
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Great write up and glad to see things look good with the new pro game...right now I am on the fence as to whether go with the pro or college version....I was leaning towards college until I read your post
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:08 AM   #93
TroyF
Coordinator

One other quick note about what I wrote above:

1) I play the game as the GM only and fast sim about 90% of my games. The times I do watch the game, I let the coach make all of the decisions and I just watch the game. Of the games I have watched, I've seen about everything. I came back to win a game from 12 down with 3 minutes left. I've built up a 20 point lead in the first half and watched it fall apart. I've had a dominant team and lost to lottery teams and vice verse.

2) I have not went into a 30 year career or looked at long term financials.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:32 AM   #94
korme
Go Reds

Something about the overlays on the draft screen gets me stuck every once in a while - if I'm clicking around too much the main, non-draft overlay will come up and I can't get back to the draft. Frustrating.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:40 PM   #95
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
Something about the overlays on the draft screen gets me stuck every once in a while - if I'm clicking around too much the main, non-draft overlay will come up and I can't get back to the draft. Frustrating.

This happens to me as well. It's usually when I'm on at the draft board and I'm double clicking to view a player's info card. One too many clicks and that happens.

Last edited by wustin : 03-13-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:43 PM   #96
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:

A couple people have mentioned this - I don't ever experience it so I'm going to put up a beta patch in the next few days with an attempt at fixing it.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:23 PM   #97
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

In case you don't follow SirFozzie's thread - he reviewed DDS:PB 2016

https://www.an8bitmind.com/index.php...basketball-16/

As always my appreciation to the FOFC community for the support
Old 03-15-2016, 10:36 PM   #98
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Bump for another update fixing some items and making some small additions as well. More to come too after a college update

• View topic - DDS:PB 2016 Game Files - latest version 1.5
Old 03-16-2016, 02:50 PM   #99
korme
Go Reds

Picked this guy up after the draft, he seems like he has a nice stroke.

How does that happen?
Old 03-16-2016, 02:54 PM   #100
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The problem is his scoring rating, and his pass % Way too unselfish (yes, that's a thing. But he might be good as a bunches of buckets scorer