Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #51
Butter
Coordinator

Trent Reznor wins an Academy award. Never saw that one happening.

Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #52
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

This is painful to watch. Watching old people be old is NOT comedy.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #53
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Ok, which one of you FOFCers knocked up Portman?
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #54
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Hubba Hubba.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:26 PM   #55
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Not having seen any of these (other than Inception) my actor/actress predictions:

Actor: Firth
Actress: Portman
Supporting Actor: Bale
Support Actress: Leo

Blammo. Nailed it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:30 PM   #56
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I figured it would go as such as well. Some very stacked categories, but they were still pretty easy to select. Can't really complain with any of the winners so far. I would have liked to have seen Amy Adams win, but Leo was very good. Very happy for Firth who had a fantastic performance, but really any of the best actors nominees were deserving.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #57
Swaggs
Coordinator

I didn't see the film, but I'm glad Colin Firth won. He's pretty funny.

I'm kind of bummed that it looks like Inception is likely going to miss out on any of the big awards. One of the rare original ideas that made it into film this year and it was actually well written/acted/directed. I liked a lot of the other films that I saw, but I'd like to see kind of recognition given for making such an original movie (and executing the concept very well).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #58
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post
Ok, which one of you FOFCers knocked up Portman?

Quote:
Not having seen any of these (other than Inception) my actor/actress predictions:

Actress: Portman

Quote:
Blammo. Nailed it.

So you're saying it was you?
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:36 PM   #59
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:38 PM   #60
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Great film. Saw it twice. Happy to see it win.

But a really good year for movies, in my opinion. Hopefully this year repeats.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:40 PM   #61
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I have to say, the hosts/presentation of this years show was subpar at best.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:43 PM   #62
Swaggs
Coordinator

I've seen Hathaway on Saturday Night Live a couple of times and, with this tonight, she's just not very funny on live television. James Franco just came off detached, like he was just going through the motions (and didn't know where the camera was filming from half the time).

Not a very good pairing for the hosting gig, in my opinion.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #63
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

No big surprises, I guess. But I stopped watching early on and just followed twitter updates occasionally because the whole thing felt bleh otherwise.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-27-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:04 PM   #64
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I can't say anything bad about Anne Hathaway. She's too charming. I could watch her read the phone book.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:26 PM   #65
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I've seen Hathaway on Saturday Night Live a couple of times and, with this tonight, she's just not very funny on live television.

I enjoyed her a good bit on SNL (the first time she hosted). The Mary Poppins sketch is fantastic.

I have to admit, though, I don't think there's anything about Hathaway I don't enjoy. ; )

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:38 PM   #66
DrAFTjunkie
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Trent Reznor wins an Academy award. Never saw that one happening.

I dunno. I think both the Natural Born Killers and Lost Highway soundtracks were stellar.
DrAFTjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:00 AM   #67
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
It took them 20 minutes just for that award. That was painful.

It was like watching Dick Clark on new years eve.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:08 AM   #68
DrAFTjunkie
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
It was like watching Dick Clark on new years eve.

That was a savage buzzkill...everyone watching in silence, waiting for someone else to be the first one to say something.
DrAFTjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:09 AM   #69
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Tom Hanks has been hilarious on Kimmel tonight. Kimmel in general has been great, but Hanks you need to go out of your way to watch video of from tonight.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:44 AM   #70
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Congrats to King's Speech (haven't seen it yet, but a few of my friends said it wasn't all that wonderful. Good, yes... but other films were better).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
...but I suspect this will be a year similar to Shakespeare in Love and A Beautiful Mind. If A King's Speech is what I think it is, it's your general "Oscar" movie, the kind of professionally performed and shot movie that is pretty much made to appeal to the staid and conservative tastes of the average Academy voter. With that and the full support of the large British detachment of the Academy, it would be shocking to see A King's Speech not win Best Picture tonight.

I guess I'll be the one who continues to defend SIL, but here goes again . SIL is a more rare movie to win an Oscar than SPR. Definitely not a "general Oscar movie". Comedies don't tend to win the award, especially not in recent times ("Annie Hall" is the only other one that comes to mind). SPR, as a war movie, would have traditionally more success in the big award department.

Of course, I think SIL was doomed to be put in the same year as SPR. If it was released a year before or after, people would be singing SIL's praises as more and more people discovered it after it won the big award. Unfortunately it got tainted with "stealing" the victory and never will get to where it should be.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #71
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAFTjunkie View Post
That was a savage buzzkill...everyone watching in silence, waiting for someone else to be the first one to say something.
i thought it was great. all those beautiful people watching their own mortality. the only thing that would have made it better is if he came out with a hood and sickle and just started pointing, 'you...'
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #72
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I guess I'll be the one who continues to defend SIL, but here goes again . SIL is a more rare movie to win an Oscar than SPR. Definitely not a "general Oscar movie". Comedies don't tend to win the award, especially not in recent times ("Annie Hall" is the only other one that comes to mind). SPR, as a war movie, would have traditionally more success in the big award department.

Of course, I think SIL was doomed to be put in the same year as SPR. If it was released a year before or after, people would be singing SIL's praises as more and more people discovered it after it won the big award. Unfortunately it got tainted with "stealing" the victory and never will get to where it should be.

Well, my comparison of SIL to A King's Speech wasn't with respect to its Oscarishness, but to it stealing away the Best Pic from the more deserving SPR. I never really thought of SIL as overly Oscarish or more or less so than SPR.

Obviously, opinions may (and do) vary, but I to this day still consider SIL to be a drab comedy with little interesting to say. IMO, it was a terrible choice for Best Pic. It only won because Miramax was the first company to really lobby the Academy voters hard for their votes, something which to that point had not been done so overtly.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-28-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:31 AM   #73
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
That said, I think you're cutting short shrift to The Social Network's impact, because of its association with Facebook. You offer up the Facebook reason as the only reason it will be discussed, as if that is to be dismissed (because it is a factor that is essentially a society thing outside of the actual art of the movie itself). I would argue that's a very relevant factor and one reason that The Social Network will be considered memorable and timely. The fact it is also an intriguing storyline with one of the best dialogue scripts to come along in some time will likely be less remembered than the whole Facebook aspect of it. I actually think the Facebook side of it works against it, in that people get caught up in that part of it, and don't really stop to consider that it's just a very well done film.

FWIW, I should note that The Social Network made my top 10 and King's Speech did not. My main point in my response was just to dispute the way you framed the two movies (although you hadnt seen Kings Speech, so I dont mean that as a criticism.) Also, I didn't say Facebook is the only reason it will be remembered, just that it will be a pretty big part of it. I think it is a great film, but not at the level of a transformational classic like SPR for example. And King's Speech appeals to stuffy people, but it really wasn't a stuffy movie. It was pretty funny, actually.

Quote:
Incidentally, I would be pleasantly surprised if your prediction on Fincher for director is true, since for some time now, the Best Director almost always goes to the Best Pic director. If the Academy is insistent on giving Best Pic to A King's Speech, I would hope they would at least break from their own tradition to give Fincher a well-earned Best Director nod.

Unfortunately, I was wrong in my prediction. I think this is a more clear example of the Academy screwing up. Hooper's direction was competent, but The King's Speech was mostly carried by terrific performances and a great script. The Social Network had a more clear director's stamp on it, with a solid visual structure and a fantastic use of camera angles.

Quote:
Still massively disappointed that Nolan wasn't even nominated. Just ridiculous.

Nolan has received three Director's Guild nominations, but no Oscar nominations yet. Not sure what that's about, but it is ridiculous. Another egregious snub was that Inception didn't even get nominated for Editing.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #74
MikeVic
Head Coach

How did Scott Pilgrim not get nominated for editing or whatever category that should be under... I think even if you hated the movie, you could see that there was a ton of post-shooting work done to add all the little things, no? Maybe I'm not understanding that award.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #75
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Numbers likely to improve, but earliest ratings are down 15% versus last year. Looks as though the attempt to be younger/fresher/hipper didn't exactly go as planned.
TV Ratings Sunday: ‘Academy Awards’ Ratings Fall, More Accurate Results Pending; ‘Amazing Race,’ ‘CSI:Miami’ Hit Series Lows

The fast national ratings for the Academy Awards show are down from last year’s comparable numbers, but we’ll have to wait until the time zone adjusted numbers are available later today for an accurate reading of the declines.

Last nights Academy Awards drew a fast affiliate 10.6 adults 18-49 rating down 15% from the fast affiliate 12.5 adults 18-49 rating for last year’s show. The fast affiliate average viewership was 33.5 million viewers, but expect both numbers to rise with the time zone adjusted numbers. Even with the likely upwards adjustments, our polled readers look to have been overly optimistic, and the show looks to be on the low side of recent years.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #76
MikeVic
Head Coach

Younger, hipper, fresher would mean cutting the show to half the length. I think I'm a patient person, but I missed the main awards because I was just burnt out.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #77
MJ4H
Coordinator

Younger hipper and fresher was the goal? I must've dreamed that bit with Kirk Douglas. Wait, I don't sleep that long, so that couldn't have been it.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #78
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Well one thing you have to take into account is that last year's Oscars had the highest grossing film in history nominated in almost every category. This year the top two contenders were not nearly as successful (both hovering around the $100 mill range).

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #79
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
FWIW, I should note that The Social Network made my top 10 and King's Speech did not. My main point in my response was just to dispute the way you framed the two movies (although you hadnt seen Kings Speech, so I dont mean that as a criticism.) Also, I didn't say Facebook is the only reason it will be remembered, just that it will be a pretty big part of it. I think it is a great film, but not at the level of a transformational classic like SPR for example. And King's Speech appeals to stuffy people, but it really wasn't a stuffy movie. It was pretty funny, actually.

Yeah, since I haven't seen it, I can't say directly (yet) if A King's Speech is truly like the other examples I gave. I am only going off of feedback I have received from others who have seen it, and from what I have read from the critics and what not. I'll see it eventually. I completely understanding objecting ont he grounds of not mentioning Inception, which was just because of my narrow focus. Inception will definitely be the one which is most memorable down the line. FWIW, those I have spoken to about A King's Speech echo what you have said about it being a funny and appealing film. My view of its "Oscarishness" is more to what it has in common with past such pieces (period pieces, dramatic elements, scenery-chewing Oscar types, late December release, etc., all the usual earmarks), not with whether it itself is stuffy.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #80
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Younger hipper and fresher was the goal?

Yup. That was the point in selecting the two hosts (they even poked fun at that themselves)
Old 02-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #81
MJ4H
Coordinator

Oh I know, just making light of Kirk.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote