Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I have purchased this game...

Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 12:10 PM   #52
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Updated.

Qwikshot: How are you liking the game so far?

I've started yet another character on a role-playing server, and finally think I have found a character I truly enjoy. Been playing Beneva, an extroverted, sarcastic undead priest on Earthen Ring.

Started to get bored with the game a few days ago. I was zoned into leveling up my night elf for a while, and have realized that I don't enjoy the game much when I concentrate on leveling, but really enjoy the game when I concentrate on role-playing and interacting with others. With this new character, I've been staying focused on the role-playing aspect of the game, and it's recharged my interest. Had a good time last night just hanging out with a group of people at the inn in Brill.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 01:07 PM   #53
mrkilla22
High School Varsity

Update: Anairyl is level 55.
mrkilla22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 02:06 PM   #54
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Update: Brokin is level 25
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 02:44 PM   #55
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Eponymously named Qwikshot, I'm a dark elf rogue
Also Fallen, an undead rogue.

Just exploring the mechanics, worked a double last night, very busy week.
I have my daughter this weekend, so I'll be offline (I have begun to promise that when she is over, I'm off the computer).

Do I like what I see, yes, it's nice...but it hasn't sucked me in...and I've faded away pretty much with CoH.

Amazingly I bought Morrowind after losing the first one, I feel more sucked into that than anything...

Anything with the exception of FM (or the American equivalent).

Still I have names down...I'm on Lothar for now.
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 04:20 PM   #56
Bad-example
College Starter

Loblo is a hair away from level 30...currently working quests in Duskwood and Wetlands.

Qwikshot, feel free to send a whisper if you need any help getting started.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 09:52 AM   #57
sabotai
General Manager

Sabotai is level 40 (and is in the guild Sacred)

Imseti is level 10
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 07:51 PM   #58
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Quick question, it's been just about two months since WoW released in November, and I thought I remember hearing specifically about an honor/dishonor system that was going to be implemented in PvP in regards to high level players attacking very low level players, has that been implemented yet? I'm on a "normal" server so I really can't tell, although on my character screen there is a "honorable/dishonorable" kills counter but that never goes up or down, what's the deal here? Just thought I'd ask ...
Old 02-01-2005, 09:11 PM   #59
sabotai
General Manager

No, it has not been implemented yet.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:25 AM   #60
Blackadar
Retired

Update:

Ronsinn has hit magic 60.

My advice is: don't rush. There's a severe lack of endgame content. Simply put, there's not much to do at 60 beyond raid instances. All 4 of them. Which gets boring very quickly.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:04 PM   #61
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

OK, this isn't cool. I still haven't bought the game, but I've read so much and thought about it so much and downloaded and watched so many in-game movies that I have at least 1 dream a night about playing the game.

Seriously, I think I need help.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:08 PM   #62
Schmidty
Coordinator

My wife's character, Chauncey, is now level 22. I shelved my hunter, and am now working on a Tauren Shaman and a Human Paladin.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:24 PM   #63
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Update, it's been a while. My rogue Cine is up to 40, and is in the guild Clan of the Fool. My warrior Licinius is 19.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 09:22 AM   #64
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

OK, I've ordered this game. May the Lord have mercy upon my soul....
Old 02-04-2005, 01:12 PM   #65
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

God help me, I finally broke down last week.

Joined up with my old DAoC guild (Deus Vincit) on Alleria (not my first choice, but whatever.)

Currently level 23 Night Elf Druid, known to the masses as Allaris. If any of you feel the desire to make an alt there, look me up.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 02-04-2005 at 01:13 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 03:39 PM   #66
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Updated.

Congrats to Blackadar, the first (known) FOFC member with a level 60 character!

Have mostly been playing my undead priest lately. Rather than being picky about a guild as I was with my other characters, with this character I simply accepted the first invitation from someone who could type complete sentences. The guild has been a lot of fun. There are three or four members who are great to work with, and everyone is making an effort to help each other out. I've started grouping a lot more, and working effectively as part of a group is a completely different skill set than soloing.

I've started yet another character, a Paladin on Cenarion Circle, but I don't remember the details offhand. I'll put him up later. Family is getting too big to remember everyone's name.

Lastly, if anyone is interested in trying role-playing, I'd be happy to meet up with you in game. Post here or PM me, and we'll see if we can set something up. I've got low level characters on most of the RP servers, so it'd be easy to figure something out.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 02-04-2005 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:49 AM   #67
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz
Updated.

Congrats to Blackadar, the first pathetic FOFC member with no life and enough time to get a level 60 character!

Corrected that for ya.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 12:06 PM   #68
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar
Corrected that for ya.

I think if you added the levels up for all of my characters, I'd be level 60 as well, but I suppose that doesn't count.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:52 PM   #69
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

So, in theory my copy of this game should show up any time now. Here are some (more) questions:

1. What's the best race/class/profession for someone new to MMORPGs (i.e. with everything you have to learn about the interface and the characters, what's the lowest learning curve)?

2. What's the best race/class/profession for someone new to MMORPGs who intends to spend most of their time soloing?

3. What's the best race/class/profession for the "casual" player (i.e. 30 minutes here, 2 hours there, etc....)?
Old 02-11-2005, 04:03 PM   #70
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

My theory? Play what you want. I think it's pretty safe to say every class in the game can solo effectively in WoW.

Interface is simple enough to pick up. You assign your abilities to a taskbar at the bottom of the screen, and do your thang. Right click on the enviornment to do shit. Pretty straightforward.

One of the things (and it's been touched on) in this game that I like is that it's very condusive to casual gaming. Most quests (which is basically what you will be doing to level 99% of the time) can be done in a very short amount of time, and most of them can be done solo.

I traditionally log on, pick a quest that doesn't sound like a pain, go there, do it, get my xp, maybe do one or two more, shoot the shit with friends, log off. I've grouped maybe a half a dozen times during the 2 weeks I've owned the game, I'm level 28 already.

In short, play whatever sounds fun to you (I would reccommend staying away from Warlock or Hunter, so you don't have to deal with pets your first time playing). You'll be fine.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:09 PM   #71
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

With regard to the interface, how early do you run out of empty slots and end up feeling the need to "upgrade" to custom UIs?

Thanks for the feedback, by the way.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:14 PM   #72
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
1. What's the best race/class/profession for someone new to MMORPGs (i.e. with everything you have to learn about the interface and the characters, what's the lowest learning curve)?

2. What's the best race/class/profession for someone new to MMORPGs who intends to spend most of their time soloing?

3. What's the best race/class/profession for the "casual" player (i.e. 30 minutes here, 2 hours there, etc....)?

Hm. Well, the interface is pretty simple. Nothing amazingly tough to learn. The best classes for solo'ing would probably be either Hunter or Druid. Hunters because they, at the start, get bow/gun (based on class) so they can pull and are decent melee fighters. Druid because, at the start, they can use magic and pull and are decent melee fighters. At level 10, the Hunter gets a pet that can do a lot of the fighting for him/her. At level 10, the Druid can shapeshift into a Bear, which does a much better job at melee than the normal druid (and at later levels, get Sea Lion (underwaterwater breathing, swim faster), Cat (rogue), and Travel (40% increase speed, looks like a cheetah) forms.

Both classes are probably the best at solo'ing since 1) The Hunter eventually gets a pet and could be considered a party of 2 and 2) Druids get shapeshifting which lets them do a lot of what several other classes do. Bear to be the warrior, Cat to be the rogue and normal form to be the spell-caster/healer. (IOW, Druids can deal with a lot more situations without help since they have several choices in how they can play.)

If you want to be a druid, your race choices are limited to Tauren or Night Elf. Hunters can either be Dwarf, Night Elf, Orc or Tauren (maybe one or two more).

My Druid now (update GB!) is level 44. Honestly, though, I have more fun with my Hunter character. The main reason I play my Druid more is because I made him first, he's in a guild, he is much farther along, etc. etc.

I use my Hunter when I specifically want to just solo (be left alone, basically).

As for your last question, I'd say the overall game design lends itself to the casual gamer. You can pretty much just jump in with any class and just play 30 minutes here, 2 hours there, and still have fun. The only thing that will definately take a lot of time to do are the instances (dungeons), but they absolutly require a group as well (don't even think about solo'ing an instance).
Old 02-11-2005, 04:15 PM   #73
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
With regard to the interface, how early do you run out of empty slots and end up feeling the need to "upgrade" to custom UIs?

Depends on your class. If you use a class that uses magic, you'll want them pretty quickly.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:49 AM   #74
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
So, in theory my copy of this game should show up any time now. Here are some (more) questions:

1. For the begginning player, I think hunters/warlocks are quickly the most complicated, because you're controlling a pet as well as yourself. You've got to keep your eyes on two things. Priests, mages, druids, and shamans, with their varieties of spells, are probably second-most complicated. Rogues, warriors, and paladins would get my vote as easiest to get a grip on for the new player.

2. You can solo with anything in the game, but some classes are definitely easier to solo with. I think rogues, paladins, shamans, hunters, and druids might be easiest in the beginning. I've found priests challenging to solo with. The thing about it though, is that there is always so much to do that you can find easy quests no matter your class. I've soloed a ton with my priest, and have been having a blast.

3. They are all good for casual play, as far as I can tell.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:16 PM   #75
Bad-example
College Starter

Paladin is a fun class for the first 40 levels...I am 39 and have hit very few rough spots. Of course, I have been playing mostly paladins in these games since my D&D days, so it may be more a matter of preference.

http://wow.allakhazam.com/ is a very good place to search for quests and general info. Most useful is the 'Quests By Zone" area.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:20 PM   #76
Danny
Head Coach

Pondura is now level 50.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 01:58 PM   #77
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:

1. I was in the same boat as you, new to MMORPGs, didn't know anything about this kind of stuff, so I started out as a human warrior. Can't get more vanilla than that, warrior so you don't have to bother with fancy magic buttons, human cos I play one of those in real life. Which brings us to point 2.

2. Warriors aren't good for solo-ing. They're under-powered til very high, the best early ability they have is Charge, and charging isn't much good when solo-ing as you don't want to rush into a pack of enemies on your own. Warriors unfortunately aren't very good in groups either as a equivalent level Rogue or Hunter will be more use than you will. You'll see this if you group with people who are levels below you, monsters will target the opponent they consider the most risk to them, so they'll zip past your lvl 20 Warrior to get to the lvl 15 just-about-anybody-else standing behind you.

Rogue is a good start, Hunter seems good and easy early though I've heard they get a bit over matched at high levels, Warlocks are good cos you get a little imp chum really early on to help you out, and they have a nice pack of tricks. I've heard Priests aren't for solo-ing beginners, and Warriors are best avoided as mentioned, but you can have fun with just about anything and get used to the game pretty quickly. The game starts you off with a small pack of skills that you can add to as you go along, so the curve isn't bad at all.

Or you can just try a Paladin, or Easy-WoW as Horde players call it Paladins are overpowered at the moment. Sure to get nerfed, I'd guess. If I'm being completely unbiased, I'd say Horde is a better place to start than Alliance. Seems to be fewer l33t, swearing 14 year olds on the Horde's side. (Not that that's much of a problem, I've been surprised at the general maturity of the people on WoW.)

3. They're all good. I've heard enchantment is hard to raise levels in, never tried it myself though. So far I'd say skinning has been the easiest to advance in, but the rewards arent great. Seems like everybody who starts as a character that can only wear leather armor goes for skinning with leatherwork as their professions.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 06:05 PM   #78
MikeVic
Head Coach

Is it just here, or is coming by this game very hard? Electronics Boutique said they sell it for $54CDN, but say they sell out FAST. And currently are, now knowing when the next shipment comes in.

Best Buy and Futureshop are selling it for $79CDN... such a high markup, but they're still selling them. And the official site of World of Warcraft has them out of stock.

Is there a reason for this?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 06:08 PM   #79
Danny
Head Coach

Yes there is. Their servers have all they can handle (and more on a few) so they have haulted production of the game.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:41 AM   #80
MikeVic
Head Coach

Is it laggy during the evenings? I heard from someone that since the servers can't support more, they're noticably laggy during evenings.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:48 AM   #81
Danny
Head Coach

Depends on the server. Most (i'd say around 70-80%) are just fine while some have issues. Pick a low or medium population server and you have nothing to worry about. Picking a high population server is a bad idea. While not 100% accurate, a good site for finding this out is http://www.wowcensus.com/no_realm.php?sort=count

My server Earthen Ring is a higher population server according to this site and I have no complaints.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:12 AM   #82
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Sorry for the delayed update. FOFC has been just crawling on my computer lately for some reason. It's taking upwards of five minutes for threads to load; this makes updating the list a bit time-consuming.

Anyway, I'll update our list on Tuesday afternoon, so post any changes/updates before then to make it in.

Regarding the best soloing classes, I take back what I said about priests. I'm finding that priests that choose the shadow path have excellent soloing skills, but they don't kick in until level 20 or so. Before then is difficult.

Danny: Been exclusively playing Beneva, an undead priest on Earthen Ring. I would think I'm bound to run into your horde character at some point.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:17 PM   #83
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

dola...

Updated, a bit early.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:55 PM   #84
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

The mighty Allaris hit the big 30.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:52 PM   #85
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz
Danny: Been exclusively playing Beneva, an undead priest on Earthen Ring. I would think I'm bound to run into your horde character at some point.

Yeah, Im sure we will meet before long. Just as a note, my name is Pondura, and not Pondera. I signed up as Pondera, but around level 10 or so Blizzard changed the vowel. Pondera means 'balance' in latin, and as it turns out using words from another language is against the naming policy. I was happy that they simply changed the vowel, in fact, it took me several levels before I even noticed it.

I have seen a few select stories about name changes to things like Sechewmaunjoi or other incoherrent babble. When you have a hundred + GM's, a few are bound to be assholes. Fortunately, the one who changed my name was alright.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:31 PM   #86
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'm Hydekl, a level 2 Undead Rogue on Laughing Skull.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:34 AM   #87
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Drickman
Yeah, Im sure we will meet before long. Just as a note, my name is Pondura, and not Pondera.

Got it. I'll make the fix in the next update.

I did see some of your fabric (runecloth or mageweave, I forget) on sale at the auction house. Added your name to my friends list as well. You seem to be in places I've never even heard of.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:45 PM   #88
MikeVic
Head Coach

What's a good site for information?
Old 02-15-2005, 03:47 PM   #89
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic

You can find info about quests or anything else you want to know at thottbot.com
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 04:27 PM   #90
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic

These places as well:
World of War (Cartography section is especially helpful)
Allakhazam
Old 02-16-2005, 01:04 AM   #91
Bad-example
College Starter

Rapidly...losing...interest.

Too much emphasis on pvp for my taste. Battlegrounds will be essentially a worthless expansion for me. The nerf on paladins makes it less viable to solo and no other class holds much interest for me. Plus, the jackass factor on Lothar has gotten much worse in recent days.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:12 PM   #92
sabotai
General Manager

How did they nerf Paladins besides fixing a bug?
Old 02-16-2005, 12:27 PM   #93
Schmidty
Coordinator

They didn't.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:04 PM   #94
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Are long server queues still an issue, or is that something that is just limited to the most popular servers?

Very tempted to get this game, I have some friend playing it who are having a lot of fun. Also playing EQ2 currently along with my wife and I know she won't be leaving that anytime soon, so I'd have to split time between the games. The ability to solo whenever you want makes me think this might be doable. But I don't want to pay 15 a month for a game that I can't play as soon as I log in.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:33 PM   #95
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I don't have a lot of time to play and it's taking forever to level up my level 19 warlock. So, I was thinking of starting over as an alliance character on a different server. Does anyone have recommendations on a server without awful lag that has some FOFCers on the alliance end? Don't really care about PvP.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:38 PM   #96
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
How did they nerf Paladins besides fixing a bug?

Semantics. The bottom line is that I enjoyed hunting solo for the first 41 levels and now I enjoy it much less.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:37 PM   #97
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example
Semantics. The bottom line is that I enjoyed hunting solo for the first 41 levels and now I enjoy it much less.

No, not semantics. Fixing a bug and nerfing a class are two completely different things.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:00 PM   #98
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
I don't have a lot of time to play and it's taking forever to level up my level 19 warlock. So, I was thinking of starting over as an alliance character on a different server. Does anyone have recommendations on a server without awful lag that has some FOFCers on the alliance end? Don't really care about PvP.

Bronzebeard works well for my wife and I, but I don't know of too many FOFCers on there. We are in a guild called "Wants a Cracker". Silly, I know, but the people in the guild are all married and love playing the game.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:03 PM   #99
Schmidty
Coordinator

Dola.

My wife's character - Chauncey - is now at level 30.

I wish I was able to stck with one character, but I'm so indecisive. I mainly play my Undead priest now on the Bronzebeard server - level 19 Billups.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:14 PM   #100
Danny
Head Coach

They did fix the seal bug; however, there have been reports of a new bug which lowered the Paladin's DPS with or without the seal. Who knows if this is true yet.

Last edited by Danny : 02-16-2005 at 03:45 PM.