Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-01-2007, 03:01 PM   #51
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
Re the RTE 91 - the crash is happening when you play out the 2nd round of a tournament and there is a senior tour event (on either circuit) scheduled for that week as well. This should be fixed now and I will attempt to release a beta patch this evening with this fix.

I take it you won't need me to send you the file once I get home then, right? I just saw on your forum that someone sent you a file doing this.

If you want mine, I could send it to you when I get home, around 5-5:30 eastern.

FM

FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:05 PM   #52
SackAttack
Head Coach

Sigh. I'm trying to reproduce the putt issue in the 3rd round of this tournament by trying some things that we discussed, Gary. So far I haven't been able to, as there are only two people - myself and one AI - in the party, so I'm not getting multiple consecutive putt opportunities.

What I AM seeing, now, is that when I try to chip the ball, it's going BACKWARDS.

I'm sorry, but I have to be blunt here. This game was not ready for release.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:13 PM   #53
Tim Tellean
High School JV

No FM I believe he has fixed the game but thanks for helping out. A patch should be up tonight or tomorrow at the latest.
Tim Tellean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:10 PM   #54
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
ok want to quickly chime in here

On the elicense front it should be two licenses - I'm not sure as to why it is not and I have emailed the people at eLicense instructing them that it should be two so don't worry - it was designed to be two as usual and that was my instructions to them today.

Thanks Gary, I figured that it was supposed to be 2 but wasn't certain and was honestly kinda miffed that it didn't work. Thanks for communicating w/ them and us.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:10 PM   #55
DanGarion
Coordinator

I'm confused, I started a career in JAG, and I can't figure out for the life of me how I actually make it into an event...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:09 PM   #56
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Click on the person icon next to the event name for the four days, DG.

Found a one click putting bug/cheat... reported it over at Wolverine
Old 06-01-2007, 06:20 PM   #57
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

From what I've seen so far, this is, regretfully a nogo with regards to purchasing at least for a couple months worth of patches. Gary, the game is well meant, but it's just not there.. bugs and crashes kill enthusiasm.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:24 PM   #58
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro View Post
Thanks Gary, I figured that it was supposed to be 2 but wasn't certain and was honestly kinda miffed that it didn't work. Thanks for communicating w/ them and us.

You should have two licenses now - at least that's what they've told me.

The 91 crash is fixed as is the tri-click putting issue. I will look at whatever else is reported on the forum and update the game tonight
Old 06-01-2007, 09:34 PM   #59
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
You should have two licenses now - at least that's what they've told me.

The 91 crash is fixed as is the tri-click putting issue. I will look at whatever else is reported on the forum and update the game tonight

Yeah, I got an email correcting their mistake awhile ago. Thanks
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:47 PM   #60
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
From what I've seen so far, this is, regretfully a nogo with regards to purchasing at least for a couple months worth of patches. Gary, the game is well meant, but it's just not there.. bugs and crashes kill enthusiasm.

I couldn't be a developer, because condescending comments like that would make me blow my stack.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:08 PM   #61
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

It's the goddamn truth, unfortunately. It was also the nicest way I could put it.

By the time I finished one freaking tournament, I had 3 RTE 91, and discovered a "cheat" in the putting system.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:33 PM   #62
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
It's the goddamn truth, unfortunately. It was also the nicest way I could put it.

Then why not just not buy it instead of cracking on the guy in public? Or PM him or something. I have just never seen public posts like that as being necessary, but I might be overreacting as usual.

Last edited by Schmidty : 06-02-2007 at 01:43 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:58 PM   #63
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

You probably are, but I was trying to find a polite way to agree with Sack that this game NEVER should have been released in the state it was.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:00 AM   #64
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

http://www.wolverinestudios.com/down...tchInstall.EXE

This is a link to a beta patch tha will update your game to version 2.01 and will fix the following issues
- adjusted speed of simmed rounds (from scorecard sim)
- Fixed RTE 91 after 4th round of event where you manually played out the 2nd round
- Fixed RTE 94 in seasons where you had played on the Euro Tour (if you had this error you should restart your season though)
- Fixed bug allowing you to multiple putt by continuing to click buttons

As for this needing "a couple months worth of patches" - I think that's a bit harsh. The RTE 91 was the only RTE reported so far (other than one instance of RTE 94 which is also fixed now) and the tri-click putting bug was because I guess we should have made it clear somehow to click on the tri-click bar to use it. Anyhow its been 48 hours since the game was released and here's update one.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:14 AM   #65
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

This is a link to a beta patch tha will update your game to version 2.01 and will fix the following issues
- adjusted speed of simmed rounds (from scorecard sim)
- Fixed RTE 91 after 4th round of event where you manually played out the 2nd round
- Fixed RTE 94 in seasons where you had played on the Euro Tour (if you had this error you should restart your season though)
- Fixed bug allowing you to multiple putt by continuing to click buttons

As for this needing "a couple months worth of patches" - I think that's a bit harsh. The RTE 91 was the only RTE reported so far (other than one instance of RTE 94 which is also fixed now) and the tri-click putting bug was because I guess we should have made it clear somehow to click on the tri-click bar to use it. Anyhow its been 48 hours since the game was released and here's update one.

Which is great, and yes, every single game should have a patch within 48 hours of release in ideal situations, butthe amount of crashes, shots working OPPOSITE of what's intended (see SackAttack's comment). These are basic fundamentals. If THEY are wrong at release, ghu only knows what else under the engine is wrong.

Anyway, I will disengage here, and I tried to say, nothing against you Gary, but this seemed rushed and not a good idea.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:29 AM   #66
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

And in fairness to me, what is the "amount of crashes" you are referring to? So far in this thread I see ONE crash that is reported. It's the same crash in the same spot reported by doing the same actions and is now fixed.

The putting thing (which was not a crash) - again everyone in testing seemed to gravitate automatically to the tri-click bar to use it. We didn't give any on screen specific instruction to do so though so I can see how it happened that people were getting the "extra putts" since they thought they should just keep clicking on the button. My fault for not making that more clear and again, that's been fixed now by disabling those buttons once you click them once.

The backwards shot thing I saw today for the first time ever - but it happened because I was intentionally trying to chip the ball about a foot to land it far on the green for purposes of testing the putting thing - which is how I assume Sack stumbled onto it. Again, nobody thought hey lets try to chip the ball one foot and see what happens in testing. Now that I'm aware of it I can fix it and it likely will be done in short order.

You can criticize me all you want and feel free to beat up on the game but at least be fair to me in your account. To read your posts it sounds like you're going to bomb the game out every three clicks of the mouse and that's just not the case. If you've encountered more RTEs feel free to let me know but just because multiple people came upon the same error, in the same place and in some cases multiple times doesn't mean there are an "amount of crashes" in the game.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:18 AM   #67
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
The backwards shot thing I saw today for the first time ever - but it happened because I was intentionally trying to chip the ball about a foot to land it far on the green for purposes of testing the putting thing - which is how I assume Sack stumbled onto it. Again, nobody thought hey lets try to chip the ball one foot and see what happens in testing. Now that I'm aware of it I can fix it and it likely will be done in short order.

I stumbled onto it not because I was trying to land it far on the green for testing the putting, but because an attempt to reach a par 5 green in 2 fell short and I *had* to chip.

One of the other things I noticed is that once my party went from four to two, putting got much, much easier, which is partly why I couldn't reproduce my error from the first two rounds. I went from having to three-and-four-putt to, suddenly, 40 foot putts were dropping like prom dresses. Can't test multi-putt if, no matter how low I go on the meter, the putts are falling.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:22 AM   #68
SackAttack
Head Coach

Okay, so TPG2 has been closed for several hours while I was away. I just fired it up to test some stuff related to the chip bug, and it pops up with "Total Pro Golf 2 is already open."

I click "OK."

The message pops up again. and again. It appears to be an infinite loop, because it's not going away.

Finally, I CAD, and it shows three instances of the executable, even though nothing exists in the start bar. I kill them all, and now the game opens. I'm going to close it and see if I can reproduce this.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:24 AM   #69
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And in fairness to me, what is the "amount of crashes" you are referring to? So far in this thread I see ONE crash that is reported. It's the same crash in the same spot reported by doing the same actions and is now fixed.

The putting thing (which was not a crash) - again everyone in testing seemed to gravitate automatically to the tri-click bar to use it. We didn't give any on screen specific instruction to do so though so I can see how it happened that people were getting the "extra putts" since they thought they should just keep clicking on the button. My fault for not making that more clear and again, that's been fixed now by disabling those buttons once you click them once.

You can criticize me all you want and feel free to beat up on the game but at least be fair to me in your account. To read your posts it sounds like you're going to bomb the game out every three clicks of the mouse and that's just not the case. If you've encountered more RTEs feel free to let me know but just because multiple people came upon the same error, in the same place and in some cases multiple times doesn't mean there are an "amount of crashes" in the game.

I posted the one click putting bug to your boards. And if it seems like I'm unduly harsh, Gary, I really LIKED TPG1. I reviewed about 30 courses for it on your boards. From what I've seen, t feels like a step back. To have flaws in chipping and flop shots for three click (there's a report on your board and Sack has reported the same thing.., as well as shot counting glitches in both kinds of putting (one and three click).. the features are NICE, but the engine seems to be buggy. To have crashes when you play out the 2nd round of a four round tournament.. the beta testers must have been asleep at the wheel. That's a huge bug.

My rant seems because it seems that a lot of sports sim developers are getting lazy when it comes to releasing the games over the last year, year and a half. Just like the big companies, it's throw it in the box when it's close to playable, and let's worry about patching it down the road (even 48 hours post release). Maybe I need to wait six weeks after release for all games from now on, before I look at any game. *shrugs*
Old 06-02-2007, 02:33 AM   #70
SackAttack
Head Coach

I can't reproduce that, so something must just have gone crazy with my machine.

The ideas I had with regard to the chip bug seem to be pretty much off-base. It doesn't seem to matter which club, nor how far you are from the green. What Gary posted initially - 'try to chip the ball one foot' - seems to be the issue. I got 243 yards out of my loft wedge doing that. Now if I can just chip towards the tee, I'll have a potent weapon on my hands.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:08 PM   #71
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

2.02 is now available - again its a beta patch still put should correct a sim crash on the sr tour and the backwards chip thing when you try to hit it super short on tri click

Last edited by Gary Gorski : 06-02-2007 at 04:10 PM.
Gary Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #72
moriarty
College Starter

This seems to have gone quiet. Anyone playing this and have any feedback? I saw where Bill Harris is preparing a review and aluded to it being pretty good.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:36 PM   #73
digamma
Torchbearer

i'm playing it pretty regularly. Overall, I like it. I use the one click system rather than the tri click method. My biggest complaint is that in played rounds I find there is not always a correlation between attribute ratings and performance. For instance, I've tried to create a Ben Crenshaw like player who is a lights out putter, yet I consistently find myself near the bottom of the putting statistics. Now, certainly more goes into this like average length of putt and whether you're putting safe or aggressively, for instance, but I feel like a maxed out putter should be able to fair a bit better than 240th out of 245th in the putts per round and putts per hole statistic.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:43 PM   #74
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Since this thread got bumped I'll throw this in - we're working on a bonus update that will be released either tomorrow or this weekend. It will contain two new courses (free of charge) and some really cool new features. Bill mentions TPG2 as #3 in his choices for game of the year so far but some of that is based on some of the new stuff that is added so if you're going to give the demo a go (its a 3 day trial) - you may want to wait a day or two until the bonus update is out and you get to see some of the things I added.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:54 PM   #75
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
i'm playing it pretty regularly. Overall, I like it. I use the one click system rather than the tri click method. My biggest complaint is that in played rounds I find there is not always a correlation between attribute ratings and performance. For instance, I've tried to create a Ben Crenshaw like player who is a lights out putter, yet I consistently find myself near the bottom of the putting statistics. Now, certainly more goes into this like average length of putt and whether you're putting safe or aggressively, for instance, but I feel like a maxed out putter should be able to fair a bit better than 240th out of 245th in the putts per round and putts per hole statistic.

That kind of thing would pretty much kill the game for me.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:58 PM   #76
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I couldn't be a developer, because condescending comments like that would make me blow my stack.

Fido, is that you???

Old 06-14-2007, 01:06 PM   #78
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post

obviously without knowing exact stats there's not much I can comment on regarding this but there could be more to it than just the putting rating. For example putts per hole is the number of putts on average taken when you hit the green in regulation. So if your player is not solid at say iron shots or something and you are missing greens and then chipping close and one putting - those aren't counting in your average or if you're barely hanging on the edge of the green and have to 2-3 putt that is hurting the average as opposed to a guy who is a solid shot with his irons and is hitting GIR with 10-15 foot putts. The maxed out putting rating will make your guy a more accurate putter than others but you need to be in decent range. Having a maxed out putting rating gives you a better chance of draining a 40 footer than someone with a 70 rating but both chances are pretty small.

Also there's not a huge difference in effects of rating points in some categories. For example Phil Mickelson is leading the PGA with a 1.715 avg and 21st with 28.37 putts per round. Jim Rutledge is last in 185th with a 1.883 avg and tied for 181st with 30.36 putts per round - thats a 0.168 difference per hole and about 2 total difference per round.

I'd be curious as to some of your other stats like rounds played and GIR% too.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:18 PM   #79
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Just wanted to point out that they had huge problems with the DDS: PB release and instead of really helping, they got defensive and generally shrugged off the fact that the game was released with massive flaws. Now you get a golf sim that has serious problems right away and it makes you wonder how much real beta testing goes on.

A shred of credibility would cause them to either release after a thorough beta period or offer their games for a significantly reduced price. As someone who enjoyed their work previously, I'm glad I waited on this one and will wait a while longer to see if they ever get it right. Another release like this one and Gary and company won't ever see another penny from me and I would hope many of you would be willing to do the same so that they have to either do their job right or find another line of work.

Look, you obviously have an axe to grind with me for whatever reason but I'm not going to take shots back at you. Your creditibility speaks for itself based on the comments others make in reply to your posts both in your attacks on me and in other threads like your infamous Lebron thread.

Please point out examples of where I "got defensive" and tried to ignore flaws in games rather than help people? I've admitted that DDS:PB had flaws at release that we missed in a small testing group and we've worked hard to patch the game since then and I'm even doing another update to that game for free to be released sometime in the next four weeks so that it will be an updated game for the 2007-2008 season.

But I would really like to know just what exactly you are waiting for us "to get right" with Total Pro Golf 2? Because we had like two or three RTEs and a bug when people used the new tri-click in a method we didn't intend them to do it with? And yet all of those things were fixed in a matter of days. Why don't you sit down and make a list of the problems with TPG2 and tell me what all of the showstopping flaws are that would make anyone with half a brain shy away from the game. Go ahead, I'll be waiting and if you come up with anything legitimate I'll be happy to patch it. On the contrary when someone with the reputation of Bill Harris is calling it the #3 game of the year for any platform to date I'll think I'll put a little bit more stock in what he has to say than you and I'm going to think that most others will as well.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:28 PM   #80
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
That kind of thing would pretty much kill the game for me.

How are you going to say something like this with nothing else to go on other than he maxed his putting rating and has a bad average? You can be the greatest putter to ever walk the face of the earth and if your starting putt is from 50 feet out guess what, you're going to 2 putt that most of the time with an occassional 3 mixed in.

No offense but I really wish people would actually play the game before making some kind of comment like this. There is so much more that goes on than I have rating A so I get score B - what would the point of the game even be then? There's a laundry list of things that go from I have putting rating of A to putt per hole score B. Here's some of them.

1. Green In Regulation %
2. Avg distance from hole on GIR
3. Difficulty of green on course
4. Your shot placement to avoid difficult locations on green
5. Weather conditions on course that day (wet slow greens, dry fast greens)
6. Type of event - greens are more difficult for major events
7. Your consistency rating
8. Your mental rating (especially in major events)

So yes, you can max out your putting rating and be towards the back of the pack in a stat that has tenths of a percentage point difference between the first guy and the last guy and that is not a game killer - its a deep and realistic simulation. If you take the time to actually play it and get involved with it you'll see these types of things and you might actually enjoy the fact that many things are taken into consideration for what makes a golfer successful in the game and that there are many paths to take to be a successful golfer. It's those kinds of nuances and details that make the game so enjoyable.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:40 PM   #81
spleen1015
Coordinator

Shake it off Gary. That stuff is just FOFC. That's the way it is here.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:42 PM   #82
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
How are you going to say something like this with nothing else to go on other than he maxed his putting rating and has a bad average? You can be the greatest putter to ever walk the face of the earth and if your starting putt is from 50 feet out guess what, you're going to 2 putt that most of the time with an occassional 3 mixed in.

No offense but I really wish people would actually play the game before making some kind of comment like this. There is so much more that goes on than I have rating A so I get score B - what would the point of the game even be then? There's a laundry list of things that go from I have putting rating of A to putt per hole score B. Here's some of them.

1. Green In Regulation %
2. Avg distance from hole on GIR
3. Difficulty of green on course
4. Your shot placement to avoid difficult locations on green
5. Weather conditions on course that day (wet slow greens, dry fast greens)
6. Type of event - greens are more difficult for major events
7. Your consistency rating
8. Your mental rating (especially in major events)

So yes, you can max out your putting rating and be towards the back of the pack in a stat that has tenths of a percentage point difference between the first guy and the last guy and that is not a game killer - its a deep and realistic simulation. If you take the time to actually play it and get involved with it you'll see these types of things and you might actually enjoy the fact that many things are taken into consideration for what makes a golfer successful in the game and that there are many paths to take to be a successful golfer. It's those kinds of nuances and details that make the game so enjoyable.

Honestly, I think you need to chill a bit. I wasn't cracking on you or the game. My comment was basically in response to digamma's comment that he was enjoying the game despite finding "there is not always a correlation between attribute ratings and performance." I don't know if that's accurate or not, but my response was saying if I felt like that was happening it would be a game killing problem for me. Obviously it's not for digamma since he still is enjoying the game. I wasn't implying that his statement was accurate, just that if I were finding something like there's no way I could continue to enjoy the game.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:47 PM   #83
st.cronin
General Manager

I love the idea behind this game. I haven't tried the demo yet, but will give it a look when its updated.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:50 PM   #84
moriarty
College Starter

I'm planning on trying out the new demo as well (honestly I forgot this was even released until I read Bill's article).

I do think you were being a bit hard on the Bee though.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:51 PM   #85
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I really wish people would actually play the game before making some kind of comment like this. There is so much more that goes on than I have rating A so I get score B - what would the point of the game even be then? There's a laundry list of things that go from I have putting rating of A to putt per hole score B. Here's some of them.

I see your point Gary.

If I can only say one thing, I was kind of taken aback with the three days limit on the demo. First of all, I was stupid to install it on a Wednesday night, but I had not realized I'd be limited to three days, three days in which I ended up being able to try it maybe for an hour per day or so, not enough to get a good feel for it.

I understand you have to put some sort of limitation, and that three day limit is probably used by many other companies, but it made it difficult for me to test the strength behind the game. That, and since I installed prior to the first patch, I cannot reinstall now (at least I don't think so) that it's been patched, not that I think I would. Nothing against the game, from what little I tried, I felt it wasn't for me...

Good luck with it.

FM
Old 06-14-2007, 01:54 PM   #86
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Honestly, I think you need to chill a bit. I wasn't cracking on you or the game. My comment was basically in response to digamma's comment that he was enjoying the game despite finding "there is not always a correlation between attribute ratings and performance." I don't know if that's accurate or not, but my response was saying if I felt like that was happening it would be a game killing problem for me. Obviously it's not for digamma since he still is enjoying the game. I wasn't implying that his statement was accurate, just that if I were finding something like there's no way I could continue to enjoy the game.

I'm not saying his statement is wrong - I believe him that he maxed his putting rating and is near the bottom in those stat categories and I can totally see how that would be possible. He might make more 10 footers in the game than any other golfer on tour - but he might also start with a 45 foot putt or miss the green entirely and not have those putts counted since they only count if you hit the green in regulation (and again, that is something that most people may not even know unless they had a reason to go look up PGA stats at some point in their life)

My point to you and anyone else who is going to read this thread is the fact that one rating does not correlate 100% directly to a stat is not a game killer or a flaw in the game - it is how the game is designed to make it deep and realistic and not boring. If a 100 putting rating meant that you got the best putting average then it wouldn't matter where you hit the ball on the green. That's like saying a 100 rating in 3 point shooting should make you the best 3 point shooter even if you're shooting from behind half court and everyone else is shooting from the 3 point line.

I took your statement to say "if rating A does not produce result B then that's a game killer" and I want to clarify that rating A has an IMPACT on result B but is not 100% responsible for it and ask that people give the game a shot and look to see these kinds of details.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:27 PM   #87
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm not saying his statement is wrong - I believe him that he maxed his putting rating and is near the bottom in those stat categories and I can totally see how that would be possible. He might make more 10 footers in the game than any other golfer on tour - but he might also start with a 45 foot putt or miss the green entirely and not have those putts counted since they only count if you hit the green in regulation (and again, that is something that most people may not even know unless they had a reason to go look up PGA stats at some point in their life)

My point to you and anyone else who is going to read this thread is the fact that one rating does not correlate 100% directly to a stat is not a game killer or a flaw in the game - it is how the game is designed to make it deep and realistic and not boring. If a 100 putting rating meant that you got the best putting average then it wouldn't matter where you hit the ball on the green. That's like saying a 100 rating in 3 point shooting should make you the best 3 point shooter even if you're shooting from behind half court and everyone else is shooting from the 3 point line.

I took your statement to say "if rating A does not produce result B then that's a game killer" and I want to clarify that rating A has an IMPACT on result B but is not 100% responsible for it and ask that people give the game a shot and look to see these kinds of details.

Yep, that's kind of the other extreme (when rating A produces result B automatically). That makes a game too simple and not very interesting to me. It's definitely a balance that you have to maintain where there is a correlation between the ratings and results without it being a direct link between the two.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:40 PM   #88
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I plan on checking this out soon Gary, congratulations!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:22 PM   #89
digamma
Torchbearer

Didn't mean to go out of town and cause a ruckus.

First, I noted in my original post that a) I was enjoying the game and b) I understood that more factors went into putting statistics than simply your putting rating.

A couple of things I'd quibble with--I think a two stroke difference per round is huge on tour. It's eight strokes you're having to make up else where over the course of a tournament. That adds up over the course of a round, tournament or season.

Also, I wonder if my real complaint is that I can't find enough information in the game to properly analyze what I might be doing. I'm going from memory here, but my putts per hole average is somewhere around 1.85. My putts per round average is around 32. On the other hand my GIR % is around 67%. So, that does lend itself to at least a partial answer that I'm hitting a lot of greens, but may not be giving myself makeable putts. But, that's only happening on average 12 out of 18 holes per round. The other six holes I'm still averaging more than a putt and a half per hole. Those should be holes where I'm theoretically closer because I've had to chip. Stats that I might find useful (which may not be "typical" golf stats) are average length of putt made. Number of three putt holes. % of putts made from inside 5 feet, inside 10 feet, inside 20 feet, etc. Average distance from the hole on GIR's. I don't know if these are possible (they may be in the game--I just can't find them). Without that, I can only go on the numbers I have and the feel I get from playing the game. And I feel like I miss too many makeable putts. But, so it goes.

My other feel complaint on this is that the aggressive and safe putt commands are hard to use successfully. On normal weather days, the average aggressive putt seems like it ends up 10 to 15 feet beyond the hole with regularity. I understand the risk/reward concept. My complaint is that it seems there is too much risk and not enough reward.

But, overall, as I said, I AM having fun with the game. Season play is great. The Ryder and World Cup concepts are great. Within the game, I've definitely noticed less consistent performance when the pressure is on. Very cool feature. So, I don't want to give the impression that there isn't a lot to like here. There is.

Last edited by digamma : 06-18-2007 at 07:32 PM.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:24 PM   #90
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I really can appreciate what Digamma said in the last post. Being a text simulator, the more statistics you can provide to paint the picture of how our players are doing, the more control we feel we have over the success of our player. Would love to see a few more stats being compiled if this is possible to add in with a patch.

On that note, I'm off to the Wolverine web site to purchase the game, I don't even like golf but this really is appealing to me. I'm anxious to take a look at the new content that was just added.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:32 PM   #91
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
I see your point Gary.

If I can only say one thing, I was kind of taken aback with the three days limit on the demo. First of all, I was stupid to install it on a Wednesday night, but I had not realized I'd be limited to three days, three days in which I ended up being able to try it maybe for an hour per day or so, not enough to get a good feel for it.

I understand you have to put some sort of limitation, and that three day limit is probably used by many other companies, but it made it difficult for me to test the strength behind the game. That, and since I installed prior to the first patch, I cannot reinstall now (at least I don't think so) that it's been patched, not that I think I would. Nothing against the game, from what little I tried, I felt it wasn't for me...

Good luck with it.

FM

That sucks.

I installed the demo like 2 weeks ago, and haven't had a chance to try it yet. I didn't realize there was a 3 day limit, so I guess I'll never get to try it, which means I certainly won't buy it.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:40 PM   #92
Atocep
Coordinator

Gary, I understand the point of the 3-day trials and I usually prefer them. There are some glaring problems with them, though. The biggest being the people that use up their demo when the game comes out don't get to try the game again after its been patched and features added. Another is if anything comes up at home, you may waste your entire demo time with the game sitting on you drive unused.

Would it be possible to set up 2 demos? One that is the standard 3-day trial and another that allows you to sim 1 month of game time. I'm asking because I have no idea how feasible it is and I know there are quite a few people that would love to give the game another shot.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 02:32 PM   #93
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Very positive review from Bill Harris on this game. He said it's the best game he's played on the PC this year. Pretty high praise.......

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2...ro-golf-2.html
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:29 PM   #94
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Very positive review from Bill Harris on this game. He said it's the best game he's played on the PC this year. Pretty high praise.......

Read this earlier today, kudos to Gary!
Old 06-19-2007, 05:44 PM   #95
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

It's a shame that I'll never know if this is true, simply because of a flawed demo system.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:00 PM   #96
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:

Not to take anything away from Gary, but i believe he said it was the best sports game of the year (he had it 3rd, behind Crackdown and Puzzleqeust). EDIT - actually the other two aren't PC games, so I stand corrected. :0

Having said that, I'm definitely going to give it a go. Bill did make it sound dang good (and the improvements from last year address most, if not all, of my concerns). I'm just waiting for some free time to give the demo a real test ... another bad deal with the 3 day demo is you can't just try it on impulse, you have to plan around when you have free time to really play it.

Last edited by moriarty : 06-19-2007 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:02 AM   #97
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
It's a shame that I'll never know if this is true, simply because of a flawed demo system.

there's some new info regarding this on the WS forums...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski on their forums
We realize that this bonus update added some pretty cool new things and that anyone who tried the demo earlier wouldn't be able to experience the new features. So if you're in that boat have no worries, we're working on making an additional demo of the game - we will shortly be releasing a new demo that does not expire (but only allows you to go so far into a season instead) so that if you wanted a second go at the demo with the bonus update you'll get your chance!

http://www.wolverinestudios.com/foru...ead.php?t=2920

Thanks to Brian Swartz for telling me about it via PM, just thought it was also worth it to post to everyone here.

FM
Old 06-20-2007, 10:49 AM   #98
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski on their forums
We realize that this bonus update added some pretty cool new things and that anyone who tried the demo earlier wouldn't be able to experience the new features. So if you're in that boat have no worries, we're working on making an additional demo of the game - we will shortly be releasing a new demo that does not expire (but only allows you to go so far into a season instead) so that if you wanted a second go at the demo with the bonus update you'll get your chance!

There you go Schmidty.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:59 AM   #99
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

hrm, you stopped reading right after Schmidty's post didn't you?

FM
Old 06-20-2007, 11:18 AM   #100
Bee
Pro Starter

Schmidty...

Just in case you didn't know:

Quote: