Coordinator

Mizzou fight!

Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:24 AM   #52
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'd love to see some of the articles detailing the problems in The Show if what you say is true. However, you continue to post praise of the 2K8 game in The Show thread while posting criticism of The Show in the 2K8 thread. It would be nice if you'd keep the discussions about the specific games in the actual thread. Call me crazy, but I'd like to see some actually info about the 2K8 game in the 2K8 thread.

You're so funny! You won't give MLB 2k8 a fair chance, so why bother?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:10 AM   #53
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

So, uh, is anyone here picking this game up today? I thought about it, but I have decided to wait for reviews or something.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:10 AM   #54
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

First review is out for MLB 2K8. EGM gave it a 72/100 (according to Metacritic.com). Apologize for not posting the details, but the site is blocked at my job site.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-04-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:24 AM   #55
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
So, uh, is anyone here picking this game up today? I thought about it, but I have decided to wait for reviews or something.

Yes, assuming my Gamestop gets their shipment, I'll pick it up on my way home.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:30 AM   #56
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
First review is out for MLB 2K8. EGM gave it a 72/100 (according to Metacritic.com). Apologize for not posting the details, but the site is blocked at my job site.
EGM's website doesn't have the full review posted yet.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #57
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
EGM's website doesn't have the full review posted yet.

I figured that may be the case. Metacritic only had a page number listed without a link, so it must be print-only at this point. I'm sure the article will be posted after a couple of days.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:07 PM   #58
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

The forums at Operation Sports are on fire with this frame-rate issue, if this is in fact true I will be one heat broken baseball fan this summer, seeing as I don't have a PlayStation 3.

Let us all know what you think as soon as you get the game, MizzouRah. I sure hope it's not as bad as everybody is making it sound ...
Old 03-04-2008, 12:32 PM   #59
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFan10 View Post
The forums at Operation Sports are on fire with this frame-rate issue, if this is in fact true I will be one heat broken baseball fan this summer, seeing as I don't have a PlayStation 3.

Let us all know what you think as soon as you get the game, MizzouRah. I sure hope it's not as bad as everybody is making it sound ...

Is it in the actual gameplay or in the cut scenes? Both consoles, I assume?
Old 03-04-2008, 12:34 PM   #60
Anthony
Banned

i don't care about frame rate, i just want a baseball i can play with my friend online. sometimes its more about the fun you have then the framerate or color of shoelaces.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:39 PM   #61
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
i don't care about frame rate, i just want a baseball i can play with my friend online. sometimes its more about the fun you have then the framerate or color of shoelaces.

I don't think framerate is anywhere near the same as complaining about shoelace colors.

I mean, are we talking stuttering here? That's an actual issue if you feel like you're having a seizure watching the game playout.

If it's someone griping about it not running a constant 60 FPS or something then that's a whole different deal.

I don't understand how console games come out with horrible stuttering, there's no reason it shouldn't be addressed beforehand.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:43 PM   #62
Anthony
Banned

i have a feeling its more about there not being a constant 60 fps. i don't think a choppy, stuttering game is even possible anymore.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:16 PM   #63
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

More framerate reports showing up at IGN and Neogaf message boards.

Also, Hillary over at IGN has said that Brinkman has told all review sites to not release their reviews until tomorrow. Certainly an interesting move in that most producers want the reviews out as quickly as possible to build up hype for the release. Holding back the reviews until two days after the ship date (March 3rd) doesn't bode well.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:19 PM   #64
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Picked this up on lunch but won't play till tomorrow. I got it for MP with my buddy but the Show will be my main game when I gwt PS3
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:57 PM   #65
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

VERY EARLY IMPRESSIONS

Thankfully I'm going to try the aerial cam to see if it improves the framerate.

I really liked MLB 2k7 last year, with that being said.

Setup: Dell 24" monitor with VGA cables (right away I had to step down to 1280x720 as the framerate on 1920x1080 was horrible)

You have to update right off the bat, there is a roster update dated 2/29 - didn't see anything on Xbox Live to download yet.

You pick your favorite team. From there I played an exhibition game vs Seattle (I'm the Cardinals).

The graphics are definitely worse this year, no wow factor at all from me this year.

I didn't see any studdering while the game loaded up, but when a ball is hit to the OF with the default fielding cam, framerate.. even at 720p is definitely a bummer. Had me thinking of The Show on my neighbor's ps3 and how smooth that game played. (MizzouBBfan will be happy)

Swing stick 2.0 seems much better, imo so far.

You can hit pause when pitching and engage a pitching tutorial.. (much needed), after some practice, I really like the pitching .

Fielding is SO MUCH BETTER than last year and throwing is quite fun.
Sexton hit a HR against me and the crowd reacted like they should.

So far, I'm a bit disappointed, but it's an initial impression. I definitely need more games under my belt and I hope the aerial cam alleviates some of this annoying choppyness.

* The Choppyness I see is when there is a ball hit to the IF or OF, you can tell it's chugging along. There is NO comparison in that department vs The Show so far.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:01 PM   #66
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Mixed impressions from Bill Abner. Likes the pitching, but is still finding the flaws in last year's game present in this year's game.

http://nutweasel.blogspot.com/2008/03/well-damn.html
Old 03-04-2008, 02:05 PM   #67
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

LOVE how you turn for a ball in the OF and the catching circle disappears until you turn back around.

I believe the manual is wrong in terms of hitting as well. It says to pull back and release for a contact hit - I couldn't hit doing that, my guy would just stand there. I believe Brinkman said they took the power swing out, so if you pull back and then push up, hitting is fine once again.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-04-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:30 PM   #68
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Mizzou fight!

You mean these aren't the same person?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:49 PM   #69
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Impressions Part 2

Ok, switching to the aerial cam seems to have really helped the framerate for me. I also have the ticker off and ball trails off.

You can change pichers and lineups for the CPU controlled teams, not sure if it was like that last year?

Just had a REALLY enjoyable game at home vs Cleveland. I LOVE PITCHING, best EVER in a game so far. I have maybe seen a few meatballs, but alot of mistake pitches have been high or outside...

The fields seem so much better on aerial view as well. You can REALLY tell who's running the basepaths as I hit one in the gap with Ankiel and he legged out a triple.. the ball was thrown offline and I slid in just under the tag.. VERY cool hit and run.

Base coaches have helmets (just for those who want to know)

Did I say I LOVE THE PITCHING in this game, feels very fluid once you get it down and you don't always put it where you want to.

Love the throwing meter now for pickoffs

Hit variety is worth the price of the game for me so far. Tons of hits all over the place and plenty of foul balls.

Hitting seems much better, but not as fluid as The Show. Again, MUCH better than last year.

Playing on Pro right now and the CPU throws mostly strikes... although I'm walking batters.

I'm slowly moving towards disappointed to happy. Really wish the game was buttery smooth though.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #70
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:

My EGM arrived a few days ago. It seems that they've changed their grading system from numbers to letters.

MLB2k8: B, B-, B

The Good: Fielding, batting, decent baserunning...finally
The Bad: Audio all around, atmosphere stinks
Rediscovered Hobby: Collecting virtual cards

IGN gives the 360 version a 7.4
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #71
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Impressions Part 2

Ok, switching to the aerial cam seems to have really helped the framerate for me. I also have the ticker off and ball trails off.

You can change pichers and lineups for the CPU controlled teams, not sure if it was like that last year?

Just had a REALLY enjoyable game at home vs Cleveland. I LOVE PITCHING, best EVER in a game so far. I have maybe seen a few meatballs, but alot of mistake pitches have been high or outside...

The fields seem so much better on aerial view as well. You can REALLY tell who's running the basepaths as I hit one in the gap with Ankiel and he legged out a triple.. the ball was thrown offline and I slid in just under the tag.. VERY cool hit and run.

Base coaches have helmets (just for those who want to know)

Did I say I LOVE THE PITCHING in this game, feels very fluid once you get it down and you don't always put it where you want to.

Love the throwing meter now for pickoffs

Hit variety is worth the price of the game for me so far. Tons of hits all over the place and plenty of foul balls.

Hitting seems much better, but not as fluid as The Show. Again, MUCH better than last year.

Playing on Pro right now and the CPU throws mostly strikes... although I'm walking batters.

I'm slowly moving towards disappointed to happy. Really wish the game was buttery smooth though.

I really hope you enjoy the game this year, as you did last year, Todd. I have to give you props for calling out the lag in the game, but yeah, you have to call it as you see it.

Just an FYI, there is no shame in going to the dark side (buying a PS3), but I'm only doing it for this game. I have no interest in any of the other PS3 stuff out there, but the Show is definitely a system seller for me and I'm having a great time.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:55 PM   #72
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
I really hope you enjoy the game this year, as you did last year, Todd. I have to give you props for calling out the lag in the game, but yeah, you have to call it as you see it.

Just an FYI, there is no shame in going to the dark side (buying a PS3), but I'm only doing it for this game. I have no interest in any of the other PS3 stuff out there, but the Show is definitely a system seller for me and I'm having a great time.

I feel ya. The game so far is a good enough improvement over last year's game that I just can't bring myself to spend $400 for one game. I just bought a new TV and entertainment system.. wife would kill me!

I usually love games inintally and then find issues, this time I think it's going to be the other way around.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #73
rowech
Pro Starter

My neighbor brought his copy over. I thought the game was pretty good other than the glitches when fielding. That was really my only beef from 5 innings of play.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:18 PM   #74
darkenigma510
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post

I have heard there are major lags on online...per Op Sports....I don't have the game yet though
darkenigma510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:25 PM   #75
darkenigma510
n00b

From what I have seen of videos of the lagging, its no worse than any PC games I have played. I got hundreds of MVP2005 games in with stuttering so I can't imagine its a game killer or anything. No excuse, mind you, but nothing to stop me from getting it.
darkenigma510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:43 PM   #76
Anthony
Banned

i'm bringing this game back. too hard for me. i haven't played a console baseball in about a decade, and back then all you needed to hit the ball was to press a button. now i gotta use the right stick to hit and pitch and i'm just not getting it. waaaay too hard for me, and i don't like that there isn't a practice mode in here so i can just practice throwing pitches or step into a batting cage to practice hitting. i guess this is the beginning of the end for me, you know, when you realize you aren't young anymore and can't do some of the things you used to be able to do. i'm completely dumbfounded and at no point in time was i having fun. i couldn't even field. mind you, i didn't read the manual, but the in-game tips were really helpful. i think a game should be playable out of the box, i shouldn't have to read a manual. anyway i just can't do it and rather than get mad and toss my controller in a fit of anger i just took it out of my 360 and put it back in the box. i'll lose money on it and i basically gave away madden and nba 2k8 for free when i traded them in for this game. i'll pick up a used copy of NCAA 2k8. i liked being able to record highlights anyway.

game looks great, fwiw.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:33 AM   #77
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
My EGM arrived a few days ago. It seems that they've changed their grading system from numbers to letters.

MLB2k8: B, B-, B

The Good: Fielding, batting, decent baserunning...finally
The Bad: Audio all around, atmosphere stinks
Rediscovered Hobby: Collecting virtual cards

IGN gives the 360 version a 7.4

No, they didn't change the ratings. Metacritic has an adjusted scale for the magazines that use a A, B, C, D, F scale. For example, I believe an A- rating is the equivalent of an 87 score at Metacritic. I think a B- score is around 72-73 at Metacritic. The magazines/sites that use the letter scores are aware of the difference and they do rate the games accordingly. Other competitive sites use similar scoring scales for letter grade publications.

As of this morning, MLB 2K8 has 5 reviews with an average score of 75 on Metacritic.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:49 AM   #78
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Demo for this game now available on the 360. Guessing the PS3 version will be out tomorrow during the regular PSN release timeframe.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:11 AM   #79
Anthony
Banned

i shall now play a demo for a game before purchasing (expect for GTA IV). had i played the demo i would've known this game was too hard for me.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:54 AM   #80
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

figures I would get sick after picking this one up
Old 03-05-2008, 12:01 PM   #81
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I'm really itching to play a baseball game for the the 360 and I didn't pick up 2k7 last year. My problem is it seems I can never hit the damn ball - plus I never can take a walk in console baseball games. So my question is in 2k8 can I "just play the field" and pitch then sim the 1/2 of inning my team bats?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #82
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Franchise bug from past versions has shown up in the 2K8 game. This bug in past versions has rendered franchise mode unplayable as you're never able to properly fill your roster for post-season play. It was never patched in 2K6 and 2K7...............

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...d.php?t=240955
Old 03-05-2008, 02:55 PM   #83
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Demo for this game now available on the 360. Guessing the PS3 version will be out tomorrow during the regular PSN release timeframe.

Cool. Looking forward to trying the demo out this weekend to see if this is worth picking up for me.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:05 PM   #84
DanGarion
Coordinator

I bought it yesterday, didn't get to play it yet. I never really got around to playing 2007 that much.

In response to HA, there are ways to make the hitting easier so you don't have to use the stick (I would think, since you can do that in 2007). I understand why they build all these functions into games, but sometimes we just want to play a game, we don't want to have to fuck with 30 different commands to do things. That's why I'm pretty much given up on Madden...
Old 03-05-2008, 03:08 PM   #85
BigDPW
College Prospect

I am eagerly awaiting more reviews from you guys on the game. I remember rushing out and buying last years MLB 2K game the day after launch after hearing good things about it and enjoying the demo only to regret the purchase within 3-5 days after popping it in the console. It was nearly the worst game I ever played but had alot of promise.

Within 3 weeks I had sold it on Amazon Marketplace for nearly 50 bucks and was so happy that I had rid myself of that game.

Then I heard that the patch (months later) finally made it a good game but was reluctant to make another purchase with 2K8 around the corner and baseball season nearly over.

This years game has lots of promising buzz around it until release day and hearing all about the framerate, franchise bugs, roster bugs, etc. I am also excited to hear that my hometown teams stadium is in the game(Five County Stadium - AA - Carolina Mudcats - Zebulon, NC).

Part of me really wants to buy this game to check it out but I am unable to stomach the likelyhood that I will only be turning around to sell it in 3-4 weeks due to the issues noted by early adopters. I would rent it but Blockbuster will not accept a debit card for there "credit card" requirement to be able to rent games so I am stuck waiting for your reviews.

Also not to slight MizzouRah (I appreciate you input and the fact that you seem to be the first person here to be giving useful impressions) but you seemed to be a big fan of last years effort for awhile and after the patch (as best I can recall) so given my dissatisfaction for last years game I am taking your impressions as only a part of the big picture and holding off getting excited until I hear some others give good impressions.

So keep the impression coming so I can make a solid decision this year!

I will fire up the demo tonight but I wonder if I will get a good taste for the game with the demo only since franchise stuff is a big part of the game for me.
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:48 PM   #86
rowech
Pro Starter

Ready for this? I played my neighbor's copy yesterday and I downloaded the demo. The demo doesn't have the glitches in the screens, especially when fielding, that the regular game has. The pitching is definitely one of the coolest things we've had in a while but I'm just not seeing this game as being some massive difference in a 3-year plan. It's got some new stuff, some of the old stuff is still there, and yes, some of the old bad stuff is still there.

It's an okay game if you're desparate I think but it's not the be-all-end-all baseball game.

I'll once again comment that perhaps people should stop issuing yearly copies of sports games and give these guys 2 years to come up with some real changes.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:55 PM   #87
rowech
Pro Starter

This review is pretty accurate....

http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360...seball-2K8/p1/
Old 03-05-2008, 06:19 PM   #88
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

This seems to be a workaround for the framerate studder:

ehh from OS posted this (I'll check it out tomorrow maybe when I'm feeling better)

Quote:
1) Started my 360 with HD attached

2) Load menus came up, my VIP, settings and roster were auto-loaded

3) I started a franchise and started my first game

4) Before the first pitch is thrown, I tap the middle button on the controller to bring up the blade from the left that controls your profile. I signed out of my profile (and in turn out of my VIP as well) and got the error message saying "Progress Won't Be Saved" blah blah blah

5) After the game, back at the main menu of the franchise I tapped the middle button of the controller again and logged back in to my 360 profile/VIP. I went to the save menu, saved my franchise and viola! No problems.

So we should be able to play franchise mode immediately without any frame rate issue.

For exhibition games just follow Step 4.

Now of course there are cons with this. If you don't have your VIP loaded you obviously cannot unlock achievements, cards, or have your stats saved. If that's important to you than this fix isn't something you'll be interested in.

If you test this out please report back and state if you're on PS3 or 360.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:25 AM   #89
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Cool. Looking forward to trying the demo out this weekend to see if this is worth picking up for me.

As others have mentioned here and on other threads, I'd be very wary of that demo. It doesn't have many of the hiccups that the retail version has. Probably should give it a rental to try it out.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:27 AM   #90
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This seems to be a workaround for the framerate studder:

ehh from OS posted this (I'll check it out tomorrow maybe when I'm feeling better)

Verified and works like a charm! Game is smooth for me now.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:40 AM   #91
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Here's some impression threads from Bill Abner on the game. He's gone from 'maybe it will grow on me' in his first post to 'it feels like a constant Beta' in his latest post................

http://nutweasel.blogspot.com/2008/0...n-mlb-2k8.html

Quote:
More on MLB 2K8
Ok time for a 4 game rundown. Let's play Likes/Dislikes for $200!

It still needs tweaked because it's too easy to throw strikes, but I love the new RS pitch interface. Really nifty and MUCH better than "Press A for fastball"

Swing Stick 2.0 feels better. I still don't LOVE this, but it's better.

Despite my earlier post, I am seeing more doubles this year and even 1st to 3rd on singles and scoring from 2nd. This is still not perfect -- but my earlier worries may have been a bit premature.

After slider tweaking I can get the CPU to take strikes, swing and miss, and chase pitches out of the strikezone. Now if I could just get them to stop going deep.

Dislikes:

The framerate in the field. This might be stadium, specific. But the hiccuping is there.
If the ball NICKS the strikezone the ump calls it a strike. Everytime. Serious control slider tests will need to be made to get the CPU to throw anything close to a walk. I could not get past 2 balls because the umps call it so tight you have to swing at damn near everything. (This is a huge, huge issue for me)

Way, way, WAY too many homers. Way too many. Way.

The graphics. I'm on a 60" Sony Bravia and it looks...ok. Seriously, do we really need all the jersey flapping? Still?

The fielding. A lot of guys seem to like this but I don't. I can't locate the ball worth a damn so I'm basically auto fielding. Yes, throwing with the RS is cool, bit I'm talking about fielding. Not throwing. MLB2K has never done this well,. IMO.

The commentary is the same as 2K7. Same trivia questions. Joe, what in the world is a walk off homer? OR -- I'll take dumb ass baseball questions for $500.

Too many wild pitches.

In general, it still feels...unpolished.

So there you have it. 4 games. General thoughts. I'm not "wowed" by any means but maybe it'l'l grow on me.

http://nutweasel.blogspot.com/2008/03/2k-quickie.html

Quote:
2K Quickie

Before I get to work this morning, I figured I'd throw this out before I forget.

On default settings the CPU will throw almost nothing but strikes. It's maddening. However, by drastically lowering the "throw strikes" sliders you can fix this. I walked three times in my stutter-filled game last night.

Along these same lines, I strongly suggest removing the strikezone box while pitching (keep it when hitting). Otherwise throwing strikes is too easy -- you should also raise the Total Control Pitching slider so that you won't always hit the catcher's mark. I *should* have walked three batters with Bronson last night but the CPU was up there hacking because I messed that slider up. So this can work -- you just need to fiddle. Why out of the box 2K thinks baseball fans want nothing but strikes, I have no idea.

Finally, the manual is wrong about Swing Stick 2.0. There are no contact and defensive swings -- that's last year's model. It's all the same swing this year -- pull back, push forward. The manual lies. Damn lies.

OK -- more from me on all of this later this afternoon.

http://nutweasel.blogspot.com/2008/0...-more-mlb.html

Quote:
OK MLB...played another two games today and here's the deal. It's like last year in that you can see a really good game in there...somewhere. You need to slider tweak it because there are still issues with not being able to get a double on a ball that rolls to the wall, which is just completely moronic and I'd like to sit down with the 2K people and show them that when Griffey Jr. hits a ball that takes 4 bounces to reach the wall in right center that he should glide in with a stand up double and not get thrown out sliding into 2nd. That's just ridiculous. Why are the default setting the way they are? I have no answer.

Pitcher control is WAY too good out of the box and the power settings were left over from The Bigs. All of this is fixable via sliders, which is a pain, but at least the sliders do affect this stuff.

But I'm not kidding when I say that the stuttering is really, really annoying. On a pop up, infielders run in slow motion to catch the ball. The screen hiccups when the ball is thrown from 3rd to 1st. At times it looks really painful, like Mickey Mantle post hip replacements is playing CF. See, back with High Heat I knew the graphics, player models, and animations were 2nd rate but at least everything was smooth without any drastic stutterings and slow downs,. Here, it permeates throughout the entire game. I need to check the Wii version.

I can't wait to read Todd and Bill Harris' thoughts about this. Should be good for a laugh because I know Bill will blow a fuse when he sees the stuttering. It really is inexcusable and gives the entire game a "I am in constant Beta" feel to it.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:30 AM   #92
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

AGAIN, you can fix the studdering by signing out of your profile.

Are we really getting to the point we have to link everyone's thoughts on the internet? Do we not have intelligent people on these forums for impressions?
Old 03-06-2008, 10:00 AM   #93
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
AGAIN, you can fix the studdering by signing out of your profile.

Are we really getting to the point we have to link everyone's thoughts on the internet? Do we not have intelligent people on these forums for impressions?

Oh, quite the contrary. Everyone in the FOFC forum would be happy to tell you that this forum has a monopoly on intelligent people.

Regarding the framerate issues, if the only fix is to disable profiles, that's a problem. Online players want stats for online play and achievements. Also, online play is reportedly very laggy even with the profile disabled, so that's not even a fix for them.

As stated in some of the above impressions and in the reviews that are out, the lag issue is only one of a number of issues. However, your fortitude to stand in the middle of the chaos screaming "All is well! All is well!" is quite admirable.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:24 AM   #94
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh, quite the contrary. Everyone in the FOFC forum would be happy to tell you that this forum has a monopoly on intelligent people.

Regarding the framerate issues, if the only fix is to disable profiles, that's a problem. Online players want stats for online play and achievements. Also, online play is reportedly very laggy even with the profile disabled, so that's not even a fix for them.

As stated in some of the above impressions and in the reviews that are out, the lag issue is only one of a number of issues. However, your fortitude to stand in the middle of the chaos screaming "All is well! All is well!" is quite admirable.

Chaos? HAHAHA!!! Ok.. chaos is the laughable basketball team Missouri has.. THAT'S CHAOS! We're talking video games here..

There are 36 pages of glitches for "The Show" over at OS, although most of them are stat issues, I don't see the point in linking each and every one of them when everyone here can read them for themselves.

What I am tired of is your rose colored glasses when it comes to anything ps3 exclusive. You're VERY predictable to the point I can pretty much guess your post before clicking on the topic.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:30 AM   #95
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
What I am tired of is your rose colored glasses

Quoted for ironic content.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:34 AM   #96
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

It's getting beyond ridiculous to read Mizzou-Bball and his "insights" on console games here. To summarize his posts:

360 - teh suck
PS3 - makes me cream all over myself
Repeat ad-nauseum.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:48 AM   #97
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
It's getting beyond ridiculous to read Mizzou-Bball and his "insights" on console games here. To summarize his posts:

360 - teh suck
Repeat ad-nauseum.

No, what's insane is that a game like 2K8 (also available on the PS3), which has been roundly criticized and has some glaring issues both in performance and in the modes, is written off by you as being OK. This is no different than Todd's glowing reviews of Madden that he tosses up on this board year after year, which usually just fade away into the eventual sea of criticism. Gamers should not settle for this kind of unfinished product. It's no different than what we've been fed recently by the EA franchises. They put out a lot of PR and positive hype about the game, only to deliver underwhelming results and then fail to do much at all to fix the inherent problems.

The fact that the main defense of this game and its features in this thread is that MBBF is criticizing it, so it must be good, is very telling. Thus far, the only thing I've seen mentioned by Todd is that you can turn off a main feature of the game to fix another part. I'm tired of seeing yearly roster updates with lackluster performance from some of these franchises. If Brinkman patches the flaws quickly (within a month), that's wonderful. Given his previous performances, I wouldn't count on it.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:54 AM   #98
DanGarion
Coordinator

Ok I played 5 innings of a franchise game last night. I didn't play 2k7 that much after I bought it because it seemed to be a pain in the ass. I'm interested in playing a game that I can pick up the controller and just enjoy and I've been able to do that with this. After tweaking the settings a bit and turning off the Swing Stick (I just want to mash a button) I've made a game that feels almost as good as the great games of the past (World Series Baseball). Sure there appears to be some slight slowdown at times in the field, but it hasn't affected my gameplay.

I'm playing franchise and I'm the Dodgers. I'm only do a 10 game season, so I'm not quite sure how that affects league financial.

Also is there a way to just make the game AI take care of all the stupid stuff, like ticket prices? So I only have to worry about the players I have and playing the game?

And I just want to make sure that if I'm in the middle of a game in franchise mode and I save my franchise does that mean it saved the game so I can come back to it later? If so that makes this awesome, because I don't always have time to play a whole game.

I think I might restart my franchise and switch to shorter games (like 5 innings) but 40 game seasons.

Anyway, I'm not looking for a game that challenges me to have to learn to flip and stick and hit 15 different buttons, I just want to play some fricken baseball.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:06 AM   #99
Anthony
Banned

i tried to give the game another shot last nite, switched everything to classic mode (using the button to pitch/hit rather than the stick) and while i did only marginally better on pitching (and that's with me using Johan Santana on the Mets) i couldn't hit. the few times i was able to get the guy to swing the bat, it was 1 second after the pitch crossed the plate. either my reflexes are horribly slow (which could be the case) or there's just something i'm not getting. anyway, i'm officially done with this game and it's sitting in my car as i write this so that when i get off of work i can take it back and put it towards some other games. i can honestly say this was the last time i ever buy a baseball console game.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:06 AM   #100
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post

360 - teh suck
Repeat ad-nauseum.

QFT