Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-06-2005, 10:05 PM   #51
Shaun Sullivan
PureSim

Arlie,

Congrats! I have 4 (ages 19 down to 5) and I wouldn't trade the experiences for anything.

Shaun Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 10:37 PM   #52
Craptacular
College Starter

Congrats. I told my wife that when she gets pregnant, I'm buying a mini-freezer and/or fridge and putting them on the floor on her side of the bed. I'll take the lazy man's approach to the ice cream run.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 10:39 PM   #53
wheels
Creative Director, Grey Dog Software

I can just see little Rerahn now . . .

You guys are in for a wonderful experience. Congratulations!
wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 11:19 PM   #54
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Wow. Pretty cool! May I suggest some names for what I am sure will be a beautiful baby boy?

Dolamite Rahn
D.H. Rahn (Dean Houston Rahn)
L. Rahn-Hubbard
Hehateme Rahn
Andy Rahn...He rahn so far awayyyy-yyy
Ron Rahn
Stevie Ray Rahn
Old 04-07-2005, 12:06 AM   #55
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Congratulations. You could always call him Sole Rahn if you're planning on stopping at one. After ours, that's what we decided. No more little ones. We have what's known as an "active" child, which is a euphemism for hell on tiny feet.

Welcome to the club. You have now been thoroughly assimilated.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 12:14 AM   #56
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
... You have no idea how your life is about to change, and no one can describe it in any way that will make sense, but you'll understand once your back home from the hospital. The boy will be the most precious thing on earth to you.

I haven't had a chance to go through the rest of this thread yet, but the highlighted portion is about as good a summation as I think anybody can come up with.

Congrats to the Rahn's, you're gonna be very good at this, and you're going to enjoy it.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:18 AM   #57
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Congrats - you guys will make wonderful parents. As the father of a six-month old there's definitely alot of good advice in this thread. My suggestion would be for the two of you to do things together now - your days of going to dinner and a movie are coming to an end Ditto on the bouncy seat too - once he's old enough to use it you'll be thankful for the 30 minute break it will give you. And of course prepare to not sleep through an entire night for a very long, long, time
Old 04-07-2005, 08:22 AM   #58
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
I normally get by on 5 hours a night as it is.

You won't get even close to that for a while, especially if she breast feeds.

You could seriously have put any number in that sentence, and you would be getting far less once the baby comes.

EDIT: Since Cam did not have the balls to go with Luke and Leia, I think you should name the kid Darth.

Last edited by Samdari : 04-07-2005 at 08:24 AM.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:25 AM   #59
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
If you really want advice, we're all amaturs compared to Revrew. He has a veritable litter of children!

word

Old 04-07-2005, 08:26 AM   #60
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

If you really want advice, we're all amaturs compared to Revrew. He has a veritable litter of children!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:28 AM   #61
condors
College Starter

Congrats!
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:31 AM   #62
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski
Ditto on the bouncy seat too - once he's old enough to use it you'll be thankful for the 30 minute break it will give you. And of course prepare to not sleep through an entire night for a very long, long, time

Baby Einstein DVDs are a good alternative (no, it's not just a baby sitter, she reacted and played along with the stuff on the screen and has a great love for music now, so all you anti-TV folks can back off now...)

Most relaxing thing in the world: stretched out, baby on your chest, baby and you taking a nap...
Old 04-07-2005, 08:59 AM   #63
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

By the way, when the time comes (say, before College), I'm more than happy to offer my services to indoctrinate the little one in Commie Pinko Liberal-ness. It's the least I can offer....
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:17 AM   #64
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Baby Einstein DVDs are to this generation what Sesame Street was to mine. Man, they work like a charm! Our little one actually starts bouncing up and down on her knees and making goofy noises when the blue DVD screen comes up, that's how much she loves Baby Einstein. Stick her in a bouncy chair that vibrates and all is good. Although, I will say the bouncy seat only lasts so long. We've had to graduate to bringing the playpen into the living room now that our little one is mobile (and/or installing a series of gates/chairs to fence her in).

On the point of safety, you might as well get used to it now so you don't slip-up when it matters...buy a couple of dozen of those socket plug and get used to using them when you don't have something plugged in. And buy locks for all of your cabinets. Get used to having to manually unlock the cabinets in order to get to the dishwashing detergent, etc. Your kid will find this stuff once he/she starts crawling. I'm not talkign actual locks, btw, but kid-proof ones that are pretty easy to open with one hand (the exact kind depend on the shape of your cabinet handles and the space between adjoining doors' handles. And you'll also want gates, either the kind you can manually put up/take down when necessary, or the kind that can be installed. You definitely need something like this if you have stairs, of course, but we find that they are useful for creating a defined areas to let her roam around. And one final thing we've found to be very nice are blinds in the kids' bedroom that do not have pull strings. They have some that will automatically raise and lower on their own. I was shocked to learn how many kids choke or hang themselves on blinds strings.

I have to echo the movie thing - we haven't seen a non-kids movie together in a few years, and I can only think of 1 or 2 that we've seen since our first was born nearly 6 years ago. Eating out, though, is not that big a deal, really, and pretty easy for the first few months, because they sleep so much. It's only when they get about 6 months that eating out can become more trouble than it's worth, but we still manage.

I'm so used to it now, but it is a huge change in your life when you first realize that everything you do will, for at least 20 years or so, revolve around your child, and not what you want/need. My entire life routine is 100% different now than it was 6 years ago. For instance, I now spend the hours from 10pm to 1am surfing the web at home, rather than 7pm to 10pm.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:18 AM   #65
Suicane75
Coordinator

Just great, now I have to move down the list and go after Ryan, Meg.
But seriously, congratulations.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:21 AM   #66
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Thanks for all the advice guys. And, flere, I'm sure Farrah will consider taking you up on that. Then again, we have my parents who are actively involved with the Arizona Democrat party and have Al Gore/Bill Clinton/Hillary/Jimmy Carter items littered throughout their house
Old 04-07-2005, 10:25 AM   #67
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice guys. And, flere, I'm sure Farrah will consider taking you up on that. Then again, we have my parents who are actively involved with the Arizona Democrat party and have Al Gore/Bill Clinton/Hillary/Jimmy Carter items littered throughout their house

I can't remember the exact quote, or who said it (Churchill?), but it goes something like this:

"If you're conservative as a young man, it's proof you have no heart. If you're liberal as an old man, it's proof you have no brain."
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:29 AM   #68
JeeberD
General Manager

Many congrats to the (expanding) Rahn clan!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 04-07-2005 at 10:30 AM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:30 AM   #69
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
On the point of safety, you might as well get used to it now so you don't slip-up when it matters...buy a couple of dozen of those socket plug and get used to using them when you don't have something plugged in. And buy locks for all of your cabinets. Get used to having to manually unlock the cabinets in order to get to the dishwashing detergent, etc. Your kid will find this stuff once he/she starts crawling. I'm not talkign actual locks, btw, but kid-proof ones that are pretty easy to open with one hand (the exact kind depend on the shape of your cabinet handles and the space between adjoining doors' handles. And you'll also want gates, either the kind you can manually put up/take down when necessary, or the kind that can be installed. You definitely need something like this if you have stairs, of course, but we find that they are useful for creating a defined areas to let her roam around. And one final thing we've found to be very nice are blinds in the kids' bedroom that do not have pull strings. They have some that will automatically raise and lower on their own. I was shocked to learn how many kids choke or hang themselves on blinds strings.

An excellent gate for guarding critical areas (like stairs): http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...092972-5238344

An excellent gate for guarding temporary areas or putting up temporary barriers: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...092972-5238344

The only cabinet lock I know of that actually stops kids cold (most others they can figure out more quickly than you're ready for them to): http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...092972-5238344
Old 04-07-2005, 10:41 AM   #70
Ksyrup

We use the second gate you posted for a large opening, since most gates don't go that far. For other openings (dining room/living room), we have a mesh gate with twistable side poles on the top and bottom that make it easy to size and fit each opening.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-07-2005, 10:42 AM   #71
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
And, flere, I'm sure Farrah will consider taking you up on that. Then again, we have my parents who are actively involved with the Arizona Democrat party and have Al Gore/Bill Clinton/Hillary/Jimmy Carter items littered throughout their house

There's hope!!!
Old 04-07-2005, 10:44 AM   #72
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I can't remember the exact quote, or who said it (Churchill?), but it goes something like this:

"If you're conservative as a young man, it's proof you have no heart. If you're liberal as an old man, it's proof you have no brain."

Winston Churchill: "Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains."

Bear in mind, though, that Churchill said a lot of stuff....
Old 04-07-2005, 10:46 AM   #73
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
Bear in mind, though, that Churchill said a lot of stuff....

And all of it correct.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:47 AM   #74
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Hey, cool the politics. No threadjacking will be going on here
Old 04-07-2005, 10:48 AM   #75
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Hey, cool the politics. No threadjacking will be going on here

Ok, but only if you promise to name the baby Winston.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:50 AM   #76
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
I thought it was down to Rerun or Dean Houston Rahn
Old 04-07-2005, 10:52 AM   #77
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
And all of it correct.

Including, most importantly:

"The rule which forbids ending a sentence with a preposition is the kind of nonsense up with which I will not put."
Old 04-07-2005, 10:57 AM   #78
st.cronin
General Manager

"There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true."

"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room."

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."

"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."

"For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else."

"It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations."
Old 04-07-2005, 10:58 AM   #79
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:

Actually I was thinking about putting the naming rights to the baby up for auction on eBay.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 11:22 AM   #80
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Actually I was thinking about putting the naming rights to the baby up for auction on eBay.

/starts saving up money....
Old 04-07-2005, 11:43 AM   #81
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Congratulations.

My advice would be to train that kid to sleep in their own bed. Put them to bed awake and don't let them get in the habit of sleeping with you every night.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 11:45 AM   #82
mhass
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter
Wow. Pretty cool! May I suggest some names for what I am sure will be a beautiful baby boy?

Dolamite Rahn
D.H. Rahn (Dean Houston Rahn)
L. Rahn-Hubbard
Hehateme Rahn
Andy Rahn...He rahn so far awayyyy-yyy
Ron Rahn
Stevie Ray Rahn

Don't forget Hitand Rahn

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 11:52 AM   #83
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk
My advice would be to train that kid to sleep in their own bed. Put them to bed awake and don't let them get in the habit of sleeping with you every night.

Early on, I'm not sure you can get all babies to be put in their bed awake, but I couldn't agree more with not getting them in the habit of sleeping with you every night. What we did early on was rock the kid to sleep (or walk, as we'd simply walk around with him either in our arms or on the shoulder until he was asleep) and put him in his crib. Then a bit later on until today, we'd walk him around to simply calm him down and then up to bed he goes, awake or not. Works like a charm for us, your mileage may vary, as usual...

FM
Old 04-07-2005, 12:13 PM   #84
Ksyrup

Yeah, no sleeping in your bed.

At first, we always rocked the kids to sleep, but even with the 11-month old, we put her in after her last bottle, whether she's awake or not, and she falls asleep pretty well on her own. Every now and then we have to go back in and settle her down, but we rarely put her to sleep first, then to bed.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:14 PM   #85
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Yeah, no sleeping in your bed.

At first, we always rocked the kids to sleep, but even with the 11-month old, we put her in after her last bottle, whether she's awake or not, and she falls asleep pretty well on her own. Every now and then we have to go back in and settle her down, but we rarely put her to sleep first, then to bed.

oh, same here, we stopped putting Matty to sleep before going to bed when he was about 9, 10 months old I'd say. When I said we rock/walk him, it's like a minute or three, simply bring him to a calm state, mostly that he puts his head on my shoulder (I'm the one with the magic beer belly, on which he can rest easily ). Now at 14, almost 15 months, it's almost more magical for me than it is for him, I just love holding him in my arms when he's quiet and ready to go to bed like that

FM
Old 04-07-2005, 01:45 PM   #86
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn

Oh, so the baby's name is going to be GoldenPalace.com Rahn, then....
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote