Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-09-2003, 02:25 AM   #51
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by McSweeny
You read that book about Castel Di Sangro? By McGuinness i think... excellent, excellent read. Such a good book. I'd suggest all you soccer fans pick it up. I'm for the title, but it's by (Paul?) McGuinness. I'm sure Fozzie can enlighten us all

Joe McGinniss. A very excellent book.

Quick synopsis..

Town with only 5,000 folks somehow, someway, manages to scrape up to the 2nd highest level of il calcio , that is, Italian Soccer, Serie B. Their victory in a playoof penalty shootout the year before put them into this league, and they were by FAR the smallest town to ever have a team this high in the standings. Most cities that Castel Di Sangro played in Serie B had populations, of 200,000 Plus. Even the new stadium that the owners of Castel Di Sangro had built could seat more people (9,000 according to my version of CM3), then lived in the town.

McGuinness who had gotten football fever from the 94 World Cup, decided to move to Italy for a year and chronicle this small town's search for La Salvezza or "salvation". The year is tough for the Castel Di Sangro team, with two players killed in an auto accident, and another arrested, for allegedly being in a $25 million dollar a year cocaine smuggling ring.

Through this, you get a glimpse in to the lives of players you wouldn't expect. Signor Gravina, the mysterious owner of the club, basically screams "Mafia". the Coach, Janconi, who calls himself the Bulldozer, who thinks football should be played the same way. McGinness does a wonderful bringing the bad and the good out in everyone. I've seen reviews say he gets too involved with the team, but I can understand how fans become fanatics.

The team comes down to the final games, trying to avoid relegation, and I won't spoil it for the folks yet to read it, but the last 10-15 pages.. the feeling I got after reading those pages was like having Mike Vanderjagt mistake my groin for the (American Football), and it gives a frightening glance in to the way Italian society works.

If you're a soccer fan, you owe it to yourself to read this book. Amazon has it here for 10 bucks plus shipping, but I got it on a remainders table for five at my local B&N. Trust me, it won't disappoint

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 07:41 PM   #52
Blackadar
Retired

I'm taking the worst team in England and seeing how much I can do with them. I think that's Kettering in the Conference division.

Unless they have no stadium, no money and a shitty owner. Then I'll find someone who sucks but at least has some $ to spend and an ower who doesn't have a quick trigger. Maybe Telford.

Last edited by Blackadar : 03-09-2003 at 07:42 PM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 07:44 PM   #53
Easy Mac

Probably with a random MLS team, and see if that part of the game is playable now. Maybe the A-League if its playable.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 11:35 PM   #54
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I forgot to add that the Crew have added Frankie Hedjuk to their team, which should help out in the mid.

DC United up next!!
Old 03-10-2003, 12:50 AM   #55
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, here we go with DC United. A team that has the proudest tradition in MLS, but has struggled in recent years. So, without further delay, lets begin.

Keeper - Nick Rimando is one of MLS's better keepers and he has seen duty with the National Team. Nick would probably be the heir to the US keeper throne, but he has one small problem. His height. He is 5'10 and that hurts him at times. But he is a good keeper and will do just fine. You also have young Doug Warren at your disposal, who should also be good one day.

Defenders - The United traded Eddie Pope, the US's best defender, in the offseason due to cap reasons, and in so, left a defense depeleted. They do have Mike Petke who is overrated in CM, and also Brandon Prideux who is decent, but other than that you really limited. You have a couple of young fill-in guys, but you will want to improve on this.

Midfield - DC made one of the biggest offseason allotications in veteran Earnie Stewart, who had been playing in the Dutch league. Earnie is somewhere near the top of the US Capped list. He brings speed and pace to your team and of course leadership. Marco Etcheverry is another veteran, and when healthy can be a good player. Ben Olsen and Ryan Nelson are also good players, and when you add to that young superstar Bobby Convey, things look good.

Forwards - Well, you have rookie, and the first overall draft pick, Alecko Eskandrain to lead things up top. He is a brilliant prospect. You also have Eliseo Quintanilla who is a great young prospect as well. Santino Quaranta, another great prospect could very well be the face of American soccer in the future, and has the world at his feet. When you mix in another prospect in Devin Barclay and veteran Ali Curtis, things also look promising up top.

The United drafted well in taking Eskandrain and young defender David Stokes, who could be the best defender in the draft. They also took Brain Carroll, a solid young mid, and added some depth in other positions.

So with DC, you must be patient on waitng on young start to emerge. If you can, big things will hapen assuming you keep all of them happy. It will be somewhat of a challenge.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:32 AM   #56
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I have no previous experience with CM, but I am certainly going to give CM4 a go. The recent World Cup, Hattrick, and Brian McBride's performance in the EPL have given me quite a thirst for all things soccer.

Since I have no experience with the game, I will probably start at the low end of things in the Unites States (A-League?). Hopefully, my reputation as a manager will improve along with my game experience, and I will move on to MLS or a Division 3 England team.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 10:25 PM   #57
MrBug708
Head Coach

I like Reading, Sunderland, and the Galaxy of course
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 10:36 PM   #58
condors
College Starter

DC United played really well toward the end of the season with Nick Rimando leading the way. They couldn't score enough though. If 2 of their young forwards come together and play well with each other then it could be time to make room in their trophy case again. I think letting pope go could hurt them but i really like their coach and if he allowed it to happen then i am sure he feels he has enough cover in the back. On a side note i expected to hear they traded for a forward all season long and big mama got traded twice (always among the top scorers).

Golden Eagle do you know who dustin swineheart is? In CM he is awsome he routinly leads the mls in scoring and gets called up to the national team i get him for like 100k then sell him for 6 million when he is past it. In cm he plays for some A-league team but i looked at a site with the A-league scoring leaders and didn't see him maybe he is with a new club...
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 11:51 PM   #59
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Condors - I have never heard of or used Dustin Swineheart. I will definantely check him out. I have never heard of him. Alot of the players in the A- League in CM 01/02. I know there is a player who is American/Mexican who is very good and I sold him to Newcastle for $7 million. I will check him out and see if he does exsist though.

LA Galaxy up next!!
Old 03-10-2003, 11:53 PM   #60
korme
Go Reds

I'ma try to get Freddy Adu :-D
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 12:48 AM   #61
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

It would be so cool if you have the first pick in the first MLS draft and the name on the board is Freddy Adu.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:54 AM   #62
MrBug708
Head Coach

Up in June, out here in LA, Manchester U gets to face America of Mexico
Old 03-19-2003, 12:15 AM   #63
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Alright, here we go with the defending MLS champs, the LA Galaxy.

Goalkeeper - Kevin Hartman is solid enough to get the job done. In addition, he is an excelltent penalty-kick saver, probably the best America has to offer. Joe Barton is listing as a back-up. You will want to pick-up a project at this position as Hartman is getting old, perhaps from the A-League or MLS draft.

Defenders - The defense is solid and has one of MLS's top defenders in Danny Califf, who has had a recent stint with the national team. Ezra Hendrickson is a good defender, and can provide cover in the mid. The Galaxy picked up South Korean international defender Hong Myung-Bo who will could be the best defender on the team. High draft pick Ricky Lewis and young defender Scott Thompson from UCLA will also figure into the mix now or down the road. Put it all together and its one of MLS's top units.

Midfielders - The midfield is strong and is led US international Cobi Jones and New Zeland's Simon Elliot. Both players offer skill and speed. Tyrone Marshall is athletic as they come and a good midfeilder. Memo Gonzalez is young at 17, but is perhaps the most exciting prospect in MLS. Throw in veterans Peter Vagenas and Mauricio Cienfuegos and US international Sasha Victorine and the unit again look strong.

Forwards - Up top the Galaxy are talented with Carlos Ruiz, who was the leading scorer in MLS last season. They also have Chris Albright, who is not great but can certaintly find the net. The Galaxy have Gavin Glinton to provide cover, but more depth may be needed.

There is a reason this team won the cup last year, and that is because it is very talented. It shouldnt be much of challenge to win the cup again.

The Galaxy drafted insanely well for a team that won the cup last season. Ricky Lewis and Memo Gonzalez will be stars in the future. Scott Thompson will also be very good, and Arturo Torres, a young forward will contribute down the road.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:07 PM   #64
BigDPW
College Prospect

Golden Eagle-

I am interested in MLS and A-League but find it hard to find news on each league on the internet or in the papers here in the US... Where do you get most of your information about the leagues and how do you keep up with them (other than watching obviously)...

I would love to check out any links you may provide...
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 08:04 PM   #65
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Hey - its great to have another MLS fan aborad here. Most of my information comes from watching games and a message board at www.bigsoccer.com, they post links to news articles about MLS all the time. I also follow alot of the kids on the U17 level, etc. I have played against several of the kids who were taking in the last MLS draft. If you have any questions about MLS, players, etc. post here and Ill do my best to answer them.
Old 03-19-2003, 11:38 PM   #66
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Now its time for my personal pick to win MLS this season, and the team I might start with, the Metrostars.

Goalkeeper - Tim Howard is a man-child, plain and simple. He is the best goalkeeper in MLS. He is the recent choice of Bruce Arena for the USMNT, and is now the apparent heir to the Keller/Friedel dynasty. Paul Graffer serves as back-up. He is decent and you might sell him to a team looking for a goalkeeper.

Defenders - Eddie Pope is the best defender in MLS and the best defender USA has. Chris Leitch is a good young player, and Craig Ziadie is a solid Jamican international. You will want to go out and get some cover in the back, as the rest of the players are young, inexperienced, and not very talented.

Midfield - The midfield is loaded with consitent players. Its not the best unit, but it is certainly not the worst. Richie Williams is a decent d-mid, and Steve Jolley, Mark Lisi, Jeff Mateo, and Jeff Moore are good players. Clint Mathis is a brilliant attacking midfielder, and can provide a great link between the midfield and forwards. Up and coming stars Ricardo Clark and Eddie Gavin will be superstars in the league.

Forwards - Mike Magee is an excellent prospect who could have signed with dutch power Ajax. Jamie Morneo is a veteran who was a great player but has slumped as of late. Other than that, your going to want to find some forwards.

The Metrostars drafting decent, taking Magee, Clark, and Gavin and slew of young defenders. They also took Kenny Arena, son of Bruce.

So while a challegne presents itself, its certaintly not the most challenging team in the league.
Old 03-21-2003, 01:05 AM   #67
MrBug708
Head Coach

Golden Eagle, good writ eup, but didn't the Galaxy get Raul Del Arce?
Old 03-22-2003, 07:41 PM   #68
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I dont think so. Howver they did sign Alex Pineda Chacon who is a wahsed up midfielder who I dont think will effect the Galaxy much this season.

Woo hoo!! 500th post.
Old 03-22-2003, 09:28 PM   #69
Havok
College Starter

bahhhh!!!

i've been coming to this message board for about 3 weeks now and in that time i've become a Hattrick addict and now i just pre-ordered CM4.

I blame all of you =)
Old 03-22-2003, 09:50 PM   #70
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Hey, no problem
Old 03-22-2003, 10:34 PM   #71
Calis
College Starter

Talking

Bah, you bastiges! I read this thread about 20 minutes ago, and right when I was done with page 1, I sprinted out the door, and headed to Barnes & Noble, just so I could buy that Castel Di Sangro book, I'm going to start on it right now, it better be good!

I've actually been looking for a good Footie book to read, not a real wide variety to choose from.

As to CM4, my first team will be Peterborough United, no good reason, just happened to be the team I picked in the '97/'98 version I think it was, and I've stuck with them ever since.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 10:37 PM   #72
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Good to have you aboard Calis. Always good to have more soccer posters.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:31 AM   #73
aquavit
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldenEagle
Defenders - The United traded Eddie Pope, the US's best defender, in the offseason due to cap reasons, and in so, left a defense depeleted. They do have Mike Petke who is overrated in CM, and also Brandon Prideux who is decent, but other than that you really limited. You have a couple of young fill-in guys, but you will want to improve on this.

Hey! I wouldn't call Ryan Nelsen (United's top scorer last year, sad but true) and Milton Reyes a couple of young fill-in's. They are both solid MLS players and Milton could be an all-star this year now that he is better adjusted to the league. Otherwise good analysis. I'm a big DC fan and while people are picking us to go far this year I think we won't have the chemisty. Too many new players. No forward who is proven in the league. I know Stoichkov and Stewart but the former won't play that much and while Stewart was a good player in the Dutch league it will take some time to get adjusted. The potential is there (isn't it always with DC) but it hasn't been realized yet.

BTW, GoldenEagle, did you ever play against your fellow Mississippian Justin Mapp?

Last edited by aquavit : 03-23-2003 at 06:34 AM.
aquavit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 06:39 AM   #74
aquavit
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDPW
Golden Eagle-

I am interested in MLS and A-League but find it hard to find news on each league on the internet or in the papers here in the US... Where do you get most of your information about the leagues and how do you keep up with them (other than watching obviously)...

I would love to check out any links you may provide...

Bigsoccer.com is the mecca for US soccer fans. If you want more news, rumors, speculation, bullshit than you know what to do with then go there. Other good links are www.mlsnet.com, www.a-league.com, www.ussocceruk.com, www.soccertimes.com, www.topdrawersoccer.com, www.soccer365.com, www.cybersoccernews.com.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by aquavit : 03-23-2003 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:15 PM   #75
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Yea I played against Justin Mapp. He played for Jackson FC. He is a great player, but he didnt score on me.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:37 PM   #76
aquavit
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldenEagle
Yea I played against Justin Mapp. He played for Jackson FC. He is a great player, but he didnt score on me.

Word is he is going to have a break out year with Chicago. I wish that we didn't get rid of him so quickly in DC.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:30 PM   #77
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I bet he will. He is a very talented player. I bet he makes the 2006 WC Squad.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:01 PM   #78
MrBug708
Head Coach

Hey Golden Eagle, you ever seen the movie a Shot for Glory? Its about Scottish Soccer
Old 03-25-2003, 12:56 AM   #79
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

No. I havent seen it. Have you? If so, is it good? A couple of soccer movies I am looking forward to is Bend it like Bechman and The Game of Their Lives. The Game of their Lives is about the United States 1950 victory over England in the World Cup. I was going to audition for a spot in it, since they were looking for people about my age with a soccer background, but decided against it.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:59 AM   #80
MrBug708
Head Coach

Its a great movie. I forget whose in it. Its about a second Division Scottish team in the Scottish Cup (i believe). They end up getting a brilliant but very distraught striker who is a former national and Rangers star. Its a wonderful movie.

A shot at Glory or a shot for Glory. Something along that line. I never heard of it but I saw it at the video store