Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-24-2024, 02:15 PM   #51
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I had heard Tech was going to take a step up this year, and it definitely looks like they have. The over under for wins this year at the betting sites is 4.5, and that seems so low. If I gambled, that would be something it would be hard not to put some money on.

Again, I don't know if you can still get that number, but that seems like a no brainer.

GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2024, 02:21 PM   #52
GrantDawg

That's a little wild...
Old 08-24-2024, 03:09 PM   #53
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Two questions that need to be answered. How many key FSU players were sitting this one out? And is FSU going to file a lawsuit against Dublin, Ireland?
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2024, 03:16 PM   #54
Edward64
Head Coach

Congrats GA Tech.

Great win. Hope you are competitive this year, need a backup plan to the Hogs.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2024, 04:13 PM   #55
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Before today, the last QB to beat FSU in a regular season game: DJU

The last FSU QB to lose a regular season game: DJU
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2024, 10:30 PM   #56
larrymcg421
Head Coach

This SMU-Nevada game has been entertaining. SMU's TE RJ Maryland has owned the 4th quarter.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2024, 10:25 AM   #57
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I realize that I'm now a casual CFB fan. I've simply lacked the time to follow it, so I've just watched when I can, jump on the bandwagons, etc.

And I've noticed that the constant conference shifting and expanded playoffs, etc. have made it harder to keep me engaged as a casual fan.

When I have to do that mental work of "wait, what conference are they in now?" it makes it that much harder to care.

At some point, you chase enough short term dollars that you lose sight of long term growth of the sport.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2024, 10:42 AM   #58
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I realize that I'm now a casual CFB fan. I've simply lacked the time to follow it, so I've just watched when I can, jump on the bandwagons, etc.

And I've noticed that the constant conference shifting and expanded playoffs, etc. have made it harder to keep me engaged as a casual fan.

When I have to do that mental work of "wait, what conference are they in now?" it makes it that much harder to care.

At some point, you chase enough short term dollars that you lose sight of long term growth of the sport.

I feel the same way. Couple that with NIL and the transfer portal and I'm left doing the college football version of the TNT Charles Barkley 'Who He Play For' quiz.

It also seems like we're headed toward a European soccer culture where there's a cadre of wealthy teams that dominate the sport and a series of lesser clubs that serve as cannon fodder. The only difference being that the Vanderbilts of the world will not be relegated (although for all we know that could be in play at some point too). That also leaves a lot of fans of cannon fodder teams hoping their schools can somehow scrape together something more than mediocrity. Maybe that is the way things have always been, but with smaller conferences, at least there was some hope that middling teams could win something (e.g Iowa's days of winning something are probably over now).

Maybe there is hope for the cannon fodder teams that some Middle Eastern oil magnate will do for some middling program what they did for Manchester City. It doesn't seem like there is much stopping this kind of scenario when a rich guy decides to pour tens of millions into some school's NIL fund. Some wealthy person out there might want to sportswash and this could be a way to do it.

But college football feels different to me than it did 20 years ago and certainly different than it did 40 years ago.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2024, 12:05 PM   #59
miami_fan
Coordinator

I saw that Alabama was able to hang on to their general manager. Is that an official position throughout college football now and where on the old org chart would that position be? Does the GM hire the HC (Howie Roseman to Nick Sirianni) or does the HC choose his own GM (Kyle Shanahan hiring John Lynch)?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2024, 12:13 PM   #60
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I saw that Alabama was able to hang on to their general manager. Is that an official position throughout college football now and where on the old org chart would that position be? Does the GM hire the HC (Howie Roseman to Nick Sirianni) or does the HC choose his own GM (Kyle Shanahan hiring John Lynch)?

Parallel job title might have been something like Director of (football) Operations, or maybe more recent Director of Player Personnel. A 2021 article on the subject of GMs credits that title with first being used in college for Geoff Collins, when he came to GT under Chan Gailey.
Old 08-26-2024, 12:58 PM   #61
miami_fan
Coordinator

Thank you. So it is the recruiting coordinator 2.0 or probably 3.0.

As someone who watch a co-worker change their email signature block title from "Supervisor, Midshift" to " Superintendent of Nighttime Operations" seconds after a promotion in rank, I have to hate Geoff Collins on principle.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 08-26-2024, 01:40 PM   #62
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have to hate Geoff Collins on principle.

's okay, I hate that mfer on a lot more than just principle lol
Old 08-29-2024, 04:29 AM   #63
Edward64
Head Coach

Woohoo. Hogs start the 2024 season tonight against Arkansas Pine Bluff.

Should be a cakewalk and looking forward to see how well QB Taylen Green runs Petrino's offense.
Old 08-29-2024, 09:01 AM   #64
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina starts their season tonight and escapes some of the humidity as they play Jacksonville State in Alabama. Not really sure what to make of the team this season as their hasn't been a lot of buzz about them, picked to finish third in their Sun Belt division.

Go Chants!
Old 08-29-2024, 09:21 AM   #65
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
one of the best times of the year! 5 straight days of college football
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2024, 10:51 AM   #66
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Your 2024 National Champions kickoff at 7:30 pm on Saturday versus Fresno State!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2024, 10:53 AM   #67
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

That could be tricky. The Bulldogs are known to have some good signs
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2024, 11:09 AM   #68
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Your 2024 National Champions kickoff at 7:30 pm on Saturday versus Fresno State!

Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2024, 11:43 AM   #69
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
That could be tricky. The Bulldogs are known to have some good signs

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 08-29-2024, 06:10 PM   #70
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

... so don't steal 'em ...

"All SIGNS point to a Fresno State win" was what I was gonna go with.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2024, 07:24 PM   #71
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Coastal Carolina starts their season tonight and escapes some of the humidity as they play Jacksonville State in Alabama. Not really sure what to make of the team this season as their hasn't been a lot of buzz about them, picked to finish third in their Sun Belt division.

Go Chants!

Interestingly enough at the same time as this game is going on NC State is also playing. Their starting QB was none other than former Coastal great Grayson McCall. He was a graduate transfer there. Unfortunately he threw a pick-6 early on, and Western Carolina leads 14-7 after one.

Last edited by Thomkal : 08-29-2024 at 07:38 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2024, 07:30 PM   #72
Edward64
Head Coach

Hogs up 28-0 after 1Q. Run game is better than the passing so far.

Enjoying it while I can, #17 Oklahoma State up next weekend. So we better work out the kinks

Edit: 35-0, starting to get ugly. I’d typically say pull the first team soon, but new QB, new OC, a bunch of new players, so sorry UAPB, the Hogs need the reps to fine tune

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-29-2024 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-29-2024, 08:01 PM   #73
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Colorado already faking injuries to keep from getting blown out.
Old 08-29-2024, 08:02 PM   #74
GrantDawg

Powerhouse North Dakota State has scored 17 on Colorado with 9 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. I'm starting to get Schadenfreude watching bad things happen to Deon.
Old 08-29-2024, 08:10 PM   #75
PilotMan
Head Coach

I really don't think we can hang with them all game, but I'll take 20-14. We need the defense to show up. I just think Colorado is just too fast for us if they get going.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2024, 08:10 PM   #76
PilotMan
Head Coach

But....

GO BISON!!!

Like Steam?

Old 08-29-2024, 08:11 PM   #77
Edward64
Head Coach

Hogs up 49-0 at the half. Seven drives, 7 TDs

Petrino opened up passing in 2Q. Green looks pretty good but he seems to hold the ball a tad long. He needs a quicker release in SEC football.

Edit: Our QB2 and RB2 started 2H. Up 63-0 in early 4Q. Nine drives, 9 TD. QB2 has been pretty accurate and has a quicker release.

Edit2: 70-0 game. QB3 started 4Q. As good of a performance as can be expected. Lots of reps for the 2nd/3rd teams. Good to see Petrino back.

Looking forward to the GA-Clemson game on Sat.

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-29-2024 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-29-2024, 09:50 PM   #78
PilotMan
Head Coach

We're gonna lose, but who cares really. We lose, so what. They win, so what. This close it still hurts them more.

Like Steam?

Old 08-29-2024, 10:09 PM   #79
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Interestingly enough at the same time as this game is going on NC State is also playing. Their starting QB was none other than former Coastal great Grayson McCall. He was a graduate transfer there. Unfortunately he threw a pick-6 early on, and Western Carolina leads 14-7 after one.

close game until the 4th quarter but then NCState pulled away.McCall had over 300 yards passing, and 3 tds
Old 08-29-2024, 10:14 PM   #80
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

Go Chants!

Game isn't over yet, but Coastal is going to win handidly, maybe scoring more than 50 points. Big sigh of relief that they beat up on a team in their second year at this level and hope they can keep it up next week
Old 08-29-2024, 10:17 PM   #81
larrymcg421
Head Coach

LOL what is this clock management by Colorado? If NDSU manages to pull this out, it will be compared to Cristobal last year.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2024, 10:28 PM   #82
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

UNC-Minnesota has to have the weirdest uniform mashup I can remember seeing in a game.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2024, 08:33 AM   #83
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
At the FCS level, Stephen F. Austin was winning 70-0 at halftime, so they used a running clock the entire second half.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2024, 09:29 AM   #84
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

And 5 minute quarters
Old 08-30-2024, 11:21 AM   #85
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
LOL what is this clock management by Colorado? If NDSU manages to pull this out, it will be compared to Cristobal last year.

Absolutely baffling, especially with the way it ended.

There is also this from a High School here last night. Down 19-14 first and goal from the 1 with a chance to win and the coach calls 4 straight passes, all incomplete, with a delay of game penalty sandwiched in and the 19-14 score stands LOL. (Running every play from gun I might add)

Granted I coached a Wing T/Shotgun Double Wing the majority of my 3 plus decades coaching HS ball, but why would you not run the damn ball 4 straight times if needed in that scenario, same as CU should have run on first down and bled the clock. I don't get the fact that some coaches spend so much time and chucking the rock that the run is almost an afterthought.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2024, 11:26 AM   #86
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post

Granted I coached a Wing T/Shotgun Double Wing the majority of my 3 plus decades coaching HS ball, but why would you not run the damn ball 4 straight times if needed in that scenario, same as CU should have run on first down and bled the clock. I don't get the fact that some coaches spend so much time and chucking the rock that the run is almost an afterthought.

Relates to one of my big pet peeves: shotgun for victory formation

I know, I know "but we're in shotgun virtually all the time, so under center doesn't get practiced"

Y'know what? FIGURE IT OUT.
Old 08-30-2024, 07:45 PM   #87
miami_fan
Coordinator

This is Oklahoma v Temple game is my first extended watch of the new college football season. With all the changes that have been made in the college football landscape, a game like this is completely unacceptable to me in a way that I rarely have felt in the past. I know there is no real difference from last year's 73-0 win over Arkansas State but it just feels much different to me now. Let SEC, Big Ten, ACC and Big 12 teams pay these smaller teams to hold joint practices with them before they go into their 12 game seasons with the other minor league teams in SEC, Big Ten etc..
Old 08-30-2024, 10:32 PM   #88
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is Oklahoma v Temple game is my first extended watch of the new college football season. With all the changes that have been made in the college football landscape, a game like this is completely unacceptable to me in a way that I rarely have felt in the past. I know there is no real difference from last year's 73-0 win over Arkansas State but it just feels much different to me now. Let SEC, Big Ten, ACC and Big 12 teams pay these smaller teams to hold joint practices with them before they go into their 12 game seasons with the other minor league teams in SEC, Big Ten etc..

I dunno, I had to doublecheck to make sure Temple wasn't in one of the revamped Big 4 already.

I mean, THAT is how broken the conferences are at this point.

I'm not even trying to be funny, there was an actual momentary doubt in my mind that they actually might have been added somewhere already.
Old 08-31-2024, 04:13 AM   #89
bhlloy
Coordinator

The one thing I will NEVER understand is when I’m watching a game on repeat, and ESPN shows the score in the ticker underneath. It is guaranteed to make me turn it off 100 out of 100 times… literally just happened as I was watching TCU Stanford this morning waiting for soccer to come on. Who watches a full game when they already know the outcome?

How hard is it to not have that happen? Are they really just in fuck it mode at that time, the only people watching are too drunk or high to turn it off anyway? If you were an advertiser wouldn’t you ask them not to actively deincentivize whatever tiny audience they have to change the channel and go somewhere else?

It’s entirely possible one of my first ever posts on this board was on this topic, btw.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2024, 09:25 AM   #90
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I dunno, I had to doublecheck to make sure Temple wasn't in one of the revamped Big 4 already.

I mean, THAT is how broken the conferences are at this point.

I'm not even trying to be funny, there was an actual momentary doubt in my mind that they actually might have been added somewhere already.

TBH that might be it now that I think about it more.

I knew that Oklahoma was on a different level than Arkansas State last year. I knew that Arkansas State had no business on the field with Oklahoma and was only there for a payday. But I could still do the mental gymnastics to still see them as two college teams playing one another. Because I have already moved on to seeing the SEC and Big Ten as a minor league versions of the NFC and the AFC, last night I saw the version of the Dallas Cowboys playing Temple.

Add in the fact that I knew about the Stephen F Austin running clock/five minute quarters game and the inherent acknowledgement of the pointlessness of that game to make it even more ridiculous. The funny thing is while I did not watch any of these games, I don't feel the same seeing the scores Missouri, Utah, and Kansas beating Murray State, Southern Utah and Lindenwood by a combined score of 148-3.
Old 08-31-2024, 09:58 AM   #91
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
How hard is it to not have that happen? Are they really just in fuck it mode at that time, the only people watching are too drunk or high to turn it off anyway? If you were an advertiser wouldn’t you ask them not to actively deincentivize whatever tiny audience they have to change the channel and go somewhere else?

The advertisers don't care, those spots are rarely (never?) bought specifically, they're just broad rotators and many/most of them are just airing to make good delivery shortfalls on other stuff anyway.

It's the difficulty honestly. You're talking about creating a different ticker for just that replay, then switching it to one for the next program, etc. Ain't nobody got time for dat.

I'd bet that you're in a sub 1% that notices enough to be bothered by it. Nothing wrong with that but the audiences on replays are so small to begin with, the number of people who leave because of this is statistically insignificant (as are ratings for replays)
Old 08-31-2024, 10:40 AM   #92
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Relates to one of my big pet peeves: shotgun for victory formation

I know, I know "but we're in shotgun virtually all the time, so under center doesn't get practiced"

Y'know what? FIGURE IT OUT.

This might seem funny to some, but I even practiced victory formation LOL. It was the last thing we did at the end of walk through the day before the game.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2024, 10:47 AM   #93
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
... so don't steal 'em ...

"All SIGNS point to a Fresno State win" was what I was gonna go with.

The only SIGN that really matters is the 2024 National Championship banner hanging at The Big House!

Speaking of signs, god damned hero Conor Stalions tried and failed to become the defensive coordinator for my local high school. It was quite a story. The guy is super weird. After he thought he was hired, but then was told he wasn’t - which he didn’t take well - he ended up going to another high school in the area as their defensive coordinator. His defense gave up 47 points in the first game. It’ll take some time for these kids to pick up the system.
Old 08-31-2024, 11:02 AM   #94
GrantDawg

Quote:
TBH that might be it now that I think about it more.

I knew that Oklahoma was on a different level than Arkansas State last year. I knew that Arkansas State had no business on the field with Oklahoma and was only there for a payday. But I could still do the mental gymnastics to still see them as two college teams playing one another. Because I have already moved on to seeing the SEC and Big Ten as a minor league versions of the NFC and the AFC, last night I saw the version of the Dallas Cowboys playing Temple.

Add in the fact that I knew about the Stephen F Austin running clock/five minute quarters game and the inherent acknowledgement of the pointlessness of that game to make it even more ridiculous. The funny thing is while I did not watch any of these games, I don't feel the same seeing the scores Missouri, Utah, and Kansas beating Murray State, Southern Utah and Lindenwood by a combined score of 148-3.

I really don't know how it is any different than it ever has been. It has always been ridiculous and something people constantly complain about. The money from those games is the lifeblood of those small schools sports programs, and there is no way the big school would pay that for a scrimmage that won't bring the money of an actual game-day does. Eventually there is going to be a break away, and the top programs will have that super conference. Lower tier schools will have to learn to survive on a lesser stage. Money wins out, that is a free market.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 08-31-2024 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-31-2024, 11:46 AM   #95
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
This might seem funny to some, but I even practiced victory formation LOL. It was the last thing we did at the end of walk through the day before the game.

Not funny at all to me. Any program with a clue oughta practice that. Don't give Mr. Murphy extra chances to rear his head.
Old 08-31-2024, 12:08 PM   #96
GrantDawg

I didn't have Vandy being up 17-0 on VT in the first half on my bingo card.
Old 08-31-2024, 12:30 PM   #97
Edward64
Head Coach

Dawgs defense looking great but offense a little rusty (?).
Old 08-31-2024, 12:51 PM   #98
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Dawgs defense looking great but offense a little rusty (?).

Out of synch for sure. Missing RB1 isn't helping, but Beck hasn't looked comfortable.
Old 08-31-2024, 12:56 PM   #99
GrantDawg

Want a crazy stat? That was the first offensive touchdown in a Clemson-UGA game since 2014.
Old 08-31-2024, 01:26 PM   #100
GrantDawg

Georgia offense looks better in the second half. They have started moving the ball quickly to the perimeter, and away from the tough front 7. That has spread things out and created gaps.