Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-12-2003, 02:49 PM   #51
ozias
High School JV

While on the topic of player progression, has anyone seen how your Offensive Linemen progress? Is it like the 2003 version, where if you played the whole season, no fast simming, your linemen would never improve because they wouldn't get very many Pancakes. Same way with most of your backup players, because unless someone was injured they wouldn't get on the field.

Also do your Wide Receivers have 6-10 drops per played game, while fast simming is 6-10 per season?

ozias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 03:03 PM   #52
Balldog
Pro Rookie

You get pancakes now. Coaches have ratings that I believe may help player progression also.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 03:24 PM   #53
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
It's God's way of punishing those who support the Evil Empire.

Made me spew coke.

That should be my new acronym. I've never liked LOL or ROFL or LOLOAYWILIOLOL. So, my new one in MMSC.

MMSC, Bee, MMSC.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 03:25 PM   #54
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I can't tell you the level of disappointment. If I would have known that the draft classes weren' going to work, I would have gotten the PC version. Of course, that one would probably have some other major issue.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 03:28 PM   #55
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by mrsimperless
As I said in another thread, this is the first Madden I have owned in years. I have been very impressed with the improvements they have made in franchise mode so far. One thing that particularly impressed me was the detail of the box scores. Not quite as detailed as FOF, but leaps and bounds beyond NCAA 2004. I loved that aspect of it. The options in this game are seemingly endless with all of the owner mode stuff as well as the franchise mode. EXTREMELY detailed for a console game IMO.

Wait until you get to the draft. The screens I've seen are like last year's, and if it is....well.....you'll be having wet dreams.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 04:41 PM   #56
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by Anxiety
Wait until you get to the draft. The screens I've seen are like last year's, and if it is....well.....you'll be having wet dreams.

-Anxiety

Will those be replacing, or in addition to, my nightly wet dreams of Marmel and Fritz?
Old 08-12-2003, 04:47 PM   #57
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I picked it up today, and although I'm coming down with a cold (and feel like poop), I'm going to stay up late and start a dynasty with the Rams with owner mode enabled.

I also have my laptop with me, so I think I'm going to write up a Madden/NCAA combo dynasty so people can get some idea of Madden. I plan to sim my NCAA games and just do the recruiting for now and concentrate on Madden as long as it plays well out of the box. I'm a novice at writing these things up, so bear with me.

Thanks for the impressions thus far...

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 05:00 PM   #58
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
(a.k.a. I can't make a modernized version of the classic Falcons red unis that includes the classic Falcon logo on the helmet).

No, but you can change the default uniform of the team to the classic uniform.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:03 PM   #59
JeffNights
College Prospect

anybody check out the making of the game on MTV? sweet stuff on the tech artists...
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 05:08 PM   #60
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg
No, but you can change the default uniform of the team to the classic uniform.

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. Still wish I could modernize them though.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 05:09 PM   #61
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. Still wish I could modernize them though.

I wish I could import draft rosters.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:18 PM   #62
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I just hired Jerry Rice as my OC and Mike Singletary as my DC.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 05:32 PM   #63
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

so, the only thing I want to know...

is there a pass rush this year?
Old 08-12-2003, 05:37 PM   #64
ColtCrazy
College Starter

One thing for next year: Let us put historic teams into franchise mode. Now that we can edit them (YEAH!) it'd be neat to take the best team of each franchise in history and have them square off.

Also, nice to see you can turn the music off and play your own instead
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 05:41 PM   #65
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Edit I should reallly read the whole post before replying to it.

Last edited by illinifan999 : 08-12-2003 at 05:42 PM.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 05:43 PM   #66
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

How many years can you play franchise mode?
Old 08-12-2003, 05:47 PM   #67
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Dola. Im in a football mood. Im itching to get this game. i am going to go see if some places have it.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:48 PM   #68
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldenEagle
How many years can you play franchise mode?

30 years I believe.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 05:52 PM   #69
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Neuqua
30 years I believe.

Yep, 30 it is.
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 06:48 PM   #70
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally posted by Draft Dodger
so, the only thing I want to know...

is there a pass rush this year?

I'd say Yes.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:56 PM   #71
Philliesfan980
Banned

This game has the makings of a good one. The one thing that worries me is I "coach/manage" only. From what I've read on the maddenmania boards, it seems as though the sack rates are incredibly unrealistic on the pc version of coach only.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 07:12 PM   #72
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I went to WalMart and Target and neither one of them had the game. For those who have bought the PC version, where are you finding it at?
Old 08-12-2003, 08:26 PM   #73
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I got it today, GoldenEagle at Babbages (EB also had it). I haven't played Madden in a while, but this seems to be worth it. I still have to get my head in Madden mode, but the game looks very nice. It isn't super arcady, a nice pace and some good AI. Also love the graphics, very nice indeed.

Haven't done Franchise, but it sounds very sweet.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:11 PM   #74
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

My impressions thus far:

Accelerated clock is FINALLY, did I say FINALLY here! Thanks to EA for this one, makes the game perfect as far as using 15min quarters.

On All-Pro the game plays good so far out of the box with 0 slider tweaks. Penalties are few as usual, but the game is a challenge.

I played the Rams vs the Cowboys and the game was pretty realistic. Holding down the passing button really makes the ball zing with Warner, I can finally get a ball to Faulk without a LB closing in so quick. Commentary is excellent as are the added animations. I really like the music in the game, but then again, I like all music. Hearing Bone Crusher sing, "I aint never scared" after Marshall ran up the gut is a nice touch.

So far, this year's version is the best, imo, but we'll see after a few more games under my belt. Look for my Rams dynasty soon.

Oh yeah, "IN GAME SAVES"

Todd
Old 08-12-2003, 10:15 PM   #75
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by Philliesfan980
This game has the makings of a good one. The one thing that worries me is I "coach/manage" only. From what I've read on the maddenmania boards, it seems as though the sack rates are incredibly unrealistic on the pc version of coach only.

Just played my first on the console. Ugh. Gonna take some major slider movement. The computer was passsing through the line like it didn't exist.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:11 PM   #76
GrantDawg

In lighter news in all this....I just drove my Falcons team to bankruptcy, but was able to sell it for enough to purchase another team. Which team did I purchase? The Dallas Cowboys, baby! Say good bye to the Cowboys forever!

The sad thing is, when looking to relocate, no body wanted them.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:18 PM   #77
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

This game has it all. One game is all I have played and I think Madden 2004 is my favorite football game since FPS days.

[fanboyism on]Terrance Newman is sick, he returned a 76 yard INT on me and literally flew down the field. The game doesn't play like 2003, imo. It's refreshing how much is in this little DVD. Immersion factor that's beyond FOF and OOTP, plus you get to see the game unfold right before your eyes. [/fanboyism off]

I'm not going to nitpick, this game is pure fun, plain and simple. Great gameplay with some FOF flavor thrown in.

Todd
Old 08-12-2003, 11:52 PM   #78
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Does the game have like a preseason mode? Where you can evaluate rookies and others and make cuts accordingly?
Old 08-13-2003, 12:10 AM   #79
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, there are preseason games.
Nyarlahotep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 12:46 AM   #80
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yep, 4 preseason games. In fact, your subbs come in automatically in the second half.

Todd
Old 08-13-2003, 12:57 AM   #81
Eilim
High School Varsity

Quote:
Just played my first on the console. Ugh. Gonna take some major slider movement. The computer was passsing through the line like it didn't exist.

Grantdawg, what version you playing? (PS2 or Xbox?) One of the first things I noticed on the PS2 version was I had to start paying attention to passing lanes. If I didn't have a body on someone and tried to throw it over them, 9 out of 10 times it ended up swatted in my face and I've had similar results against the cpu offense.

While I am an admitted Madden "fanboy", I have to say this is the first version that has made me go "Wow" without me looking for reasons. While there are some little nitpicky things here and there that I could do without, I gotta say 2004 has impressed the hell out of me.

{Edited because I actually payed attention when looking back and noticed the word "console"}

Last edited by Eilim : 08-13-2003 at 12:58 AM.
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 01:35 AM   #82
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

I played my first online game. My SOCOM headset worked so I was able to talk with the guy I was playing.

It was fun. He played a good game, but it is too early to tell if they are still able to cheat all the time.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:12 AM   #83
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

I got the console version at 12 and have been playing it ever since. I'm so addicted to the owner mode that I have trouble playing games, I really like this game for 2 reasons. First its faster, much faster then madden and NCAA, you have to make passes before guys are open, just like in real life. Also, its more complex of a game which makes it challenging. Second, of course the owner mode, I only am in my second season with the Niners franchise, but so far its been fun.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:25 AM   #84
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally posted by Bearcat729
I played my first online game. My SOCOM headset worked so I was able to talk with the guy I was playing.

Really? Great news, I got SOCOM, and the headset.

Madden is seemingly a different game than NCAA 2004. Faster. It is going to take some adjustments for me to compete on All-Pro (note: 35-7 Buccs over my Cards at the half with accelerated clock on).

Cool, but sometimes the tackles look reminicent of the old he jumps and breaks him over of 2002 and older. I think NCAA may have the better tackling animations, IMO.

But of course, that is over half a game. I have yet to be awed.

Good news, you can create Clarett and they will say his name!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 04:56 AM   #85
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
Good news, you can create Clarett and they will say his name!

Well, they try and keep the name database up to date with all professional players.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 06:41 AM   #86
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by Eilim
Grantdawg, what version you playing? (PS2 or Xbox?) One of the first things I noticed on the PS2 version was I had to start paying attention to passing lanes. If I didn't have a body on someone and tried to throw it over them, 9 out of 10 times it ended up swatted in my face and I've had similar results against the cpu offense.

While I am an admitted Madden "fanboy", I have to say this is the first version that has made me go "Wow" without me looking for reasons. While there are some little nitpicky things here and there that I could do without, I gotta say 2004 has impressed the hell out of me.

{Edited because I actually payed attention when looking back and noticed the word "console"}

I don't thumb-nash. I play "coach-only" where I call the play and let it go. This version may be great for the button-masher, but so far it looks like a nightmare for the "coaxh-only" player.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:23 AM   #87
Philliesfan980
Banned

What problems are you having specifically with the coach only mode? Other than the sack problem , what else is wrong? This doesn't look good.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:37 AM   #88
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Got it last night. Haven't tried franchise/owner yet, but here are some quick impressions after a few exhibition games:

- Just about everything (animations, commentary, player AI, etc.) seems slightly better this year. Not "really better", just "slightly better", but it does add up to a better game.

- The new system of calling plays while still watching replays/on-field action is great. One of those "why didn't they think of this before" additions.

- Speaking of replays, they still don't seem to ever show replays of TDs. A quick three yard pass will get a replay, but a 30 yard TD run won't.

- And speaking of TD runs, they still do that annoying thing where the play just ends as soon as the ball breaks the plane. You know, when there's a pile up on the goal line and suddenly everyone just stops as the "touchdown" graphic pops up. I don't understand why they don't have the ref run in to signal touchdown on the close plays.

- I played without tweaking any sliders and it seemed pretty good. No major problems yet.

- The computer's running game looks to be improved. I played a game against the Chargers and LT ran all over me. The computer still seems to abandon the run if it doesn't work early on, though, even in the third quarters of games where it's ahead.

- Probably due to the new playcalling screen/accelerated clock, you almost never get an update as to how players are doing in the game. In the LT game, I never did know how many yards he had until the end. On the plus side, this also means that Al Michaels no longer has a Rainman-like infatuation with how many tackles each player has.

- Accellerated clock is a great addition. As someone else said, 15 minute quarters feels about right with the fast clock. I used to play 8-minutes quarters and could finish a game in about an hour; it looks like it will be a little longer with the fast clock, but pretty close.

- As others have mentioned, you really have to look for passing lanes. I threw a couple of INTs where I knew I was in trouble as soon as the ball left the QB's hand.

- The worst thing I've noticed so far is that long passes on fly patterns still seem to work too well. Secondaries jump all over slants and are even getting better on hooks, but if you can get a one-on-one matchup on a fly you're probably looking at an easy 40 yards. The DB still does that thing where he runs a step ahead of the WR all the way down, lets him get position, watches him catch it and then tackles him immediately (or bounces off him, leading to a TD). This happens even in obvious passing situations.

- Somewhat related to the above, the computer's offense still seems to rely on big plays. I haven't tried all-Madden difficulty yet, but I'm still seeing lots of 3-play, 79-yard type drives. I don't think I've seen a computer scoring drive yet that didn't involve at least one 25+ yard play.

- I was getting frustrated in my first game when I kept taking sacks. The computer's defensive ends would just streak in untouched and hammer my QB. But I think this could be related to my habit of dropping back too far in the pocket. It looks like you need to try to stay in the pocket this year, or else be left out to dry by your O-line

- Just for fun, I tried a game with the Falcons. Vick is fast as hell and has a strong arm, but I wasn't able to come up with any way to really have an impact with him in the running game. Maybe with some practice...
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 11:09 AM   #89
GrantDawg

Quote:
What problems are you having specifically with the coach only mode? Other than the sack problem , what else is wrong? This doesn't look good.

I've only played a half so this could be a fluke, but basically I couldn't stop the computer at all on any drive and I didn't have but 5 yards total offense with 5 sacks! I'll play more later and try to figure it out, but in truth I can't stop fooling around with my test franchise game.

By the way, has anybody figured out how to make money? I went to the playoffs every year, won one Superbowl and lost another, and I have yet had a season of sellouts, and I lose big money every year.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:14 AM   #90
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
I've only played a half so this could be a fluke, but basically I couldn't stop the computer at all on any drive and I didn't have but 5 yards total offense with 5 sacks! I'll play more later and try to figure it out, but in truth I can't stop fooling around with my test franchise game.

By the way, has anybody figured out how to make money? I went to the playoffs every year, won one Superbowl and lost another, and I have yet had a season of sellouts, and I lose big money every year.

Hmmm. Are you sure that wasn't the World Series instead of the SuperBowl? Sounds like you are the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:11 PM   #91
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
- The worst thing I've noticed so far is that long passes on fly patterns still seem to work too well. Secondaries jump all over slants and are even getting better on hooks, but if you can get a one-on-one matchup on a fly you're probably looking at an easy 40 yards. The DB still does that thing where he runs a step ahead of the WR all the way down, lets him get position, watches him catch it and then tackles him immediately (or bounces off him, leading to a TD). This happens even in obvious passing situations.

- Somewhat related to the above, the computer's offense still seems to rely on big plays. I haven't tried all-Madden difficulty yet, but I'm still seeing lots of 3-play, 79-yard type drives. I don't think I've seen a computer scoring drive yet that didn't involve at least one 25+ yard play.

I've seen that before. Were you playing the '98 Vikings?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 12:35 PM   #92
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

I was screwing around in Owner's mode last night with the Vikings (I was seeing how easy/hard it was to get a new stadium.) Have you tried increasing your advertising? I basically went with low advertising levels for away games, and then heavy advertisting before home games, especially against division rivals like Green Bay. Doing this in conjunction with keeping low ticket prices, I was able to get sellouts with a team that finished 9-7, and my fan support grew. I still lost money in season 1, but my income steadily rose throughout the season. After the season, I decided to move to LA, which crushed my attendance/fan support for the next season.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:32 PM   #93
GrantDawg

Mid way through the 3rd quarter, and the computer has 13 sacks on me. My robo-QB is holding the ball waaay to long, like 7 seconds some times. If this can't be fix with sliders, I'll be disappointed.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:13 PM   #94
Philliesfan980
Banned

Grantdawg;

I'm afraid we (coach only) might be screwed this year as far as the sacks go. Over at Madden Mania, they said that even with pass blocking set to 100, and pass rush set to 30, they are still seeing 8-10 sacks a game.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:17 PM   #95
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Hmm... btw, any of you guys know of any projects to assign names to the Old time team rosters by any chance?

I'd rather have Bradshaw, Montana, etc rather than #-- .
Old 08-13-2003, 03:21 PM   #96
GrantDawg

Quote:
Grantdawg;

I'm afraid we (coach only) might be screwed this year as far as the sacks go. Over at Madden Mania, they said that even with pass blocking set to 100, and pass rush set to 30, they are still seeing 8-10 sacks a game.

Yup. Looks like Madden 2004 is a big stinker for players like me. *Sigh.* I can at least sim through 30 seasons in owner mode.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:24 PM   #97
Philliesfan980
Banned

ISiddiqui

I think for the PC you can, at least I always see classic rosters floating around on various sites.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:30 PM   #98
Philliesfan980
Banned

Grantdawg;

well, maybe espn football will get the coach only mode right this year. This year's madden had so much potential for coach only too.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:30 PM   #99
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Woohoo!

I was '84 SF the other day and was confused to see someone named #9 running the offense... I want that fixed, dammit!
Old 08-13-2003, 03:46 PM   #100
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Any interest in an IP to IP league?