Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #51
TroyF
Coordinator

There was a great article on Grantland a few weeks ago about how teams should spend more on top notch head coaches and staffs. They brought up the fact it wasn't salary cap based, you could spend whatever you wanted and a good head coach clearly could make a huge difference.

I think too many get caught up in how bad their coach is because they either didn't win a title or that they don't make the playoffs every single year. If the Broncos job opened up tomorrow, I really wouldn't have a problem with Lovie Smith or Andy Reid.

Start with Lovie, I think the GM's he's had have been nothing short of village idiots. He still finished with a .563 winning clip and a conference title.

Reid is even easier. The guy had 9 playoff berths in 14 years. Everyone says McNabb was his savior, but it's funny how many of those same people say McNabb was never an elite QB. He has a career 10-9 playoff record. A break here, a break there, he gets his title. Through most of his tenor, he managed the cap incredibly well. He was taking the Eagles to the playoffs and doing it well under the cap.

Then they opened up their wallet and went on a spending spree. Obviously, it didn't work out and I see why he is being fired. But the guy can flat out coach. I think he will get a Super bowl someday. This isn't Rich Kotite we are talking about here. People are trying to spin this guy as a horrific coach who would be horrible for their football team. Please. He would be worse than Norv Turner, Chan Gailey, Romeo Crennel, Mike Mularkey or Ron Rivera? Are you kidding me?

TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #52
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Devin Hester claims he's devastated by Lovie's axing and contemplating retirement...and a worker's comp claim due to "mental injuries".

Yawn.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 12-31-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:40 PM   #53
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Hard to tell if he would be interested, but if so, you'd think Cowher could call his own shot in a lot of these places. Either oversee or even manage personnel, bring aboard his own staff, and so forth. not sure what he wants in life, but if coaching remains on the list, my guess is he'd be attractive to teams like CLE or BUF.

If I were him, Chicago might be #1. Invest in OL and bring in youth for the D and you have a yearly playoff contender. The team seems like it would fit better with a vet coach versus a younger one.

Cleveland would be the better of the other two. Work on defense and WR. No one will blame you for dumping Weeden at some point. The dominate team of the division is Baltimore, who has to be one of the least intimidating division leaders out there.

Buffalo's D is terrible. They are saddled with Fitzpatrick's contract if he continues to under perform. They are at least looking up to NE for as long as Brady is there.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #54
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
I would fire him even though he made the playoffs. Same with Lovie Smith. They're both idiots.

He took a team with the talent of a 4-5 win squad and made the playoffs. Id say he did a great job.

Not near the impressive performance of McCarthy and having a 15 win team lose in their first playoff game last year or a talented 13+ win team underachieve by 2+ games this year though I guess.

One might consider McCarthy an idiot for sticking with an awful kicker the entire year.

NFC Central is loaded with idiot coaches and an ex coach it seems.

Being sarcastic. Lovie needed to go and Frasier did well in getting his only good player the ball and as for McCarthy I think hes one of better coaches in the league.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-31-2012 at 12:56 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #55
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I agree with Troy. If my team was coachless, I'd be happy with Reid or Smith. Not saying that it maybe wasn't time for them to move on (there is a wear-out-your-welcome thing with coaches). But I could see them landing somewhere and making a team instantly relevant.

And I'd be happy with Norv as my OC if my team needed one.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:47 PM   #56
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post
Charger fans can now rejoice, Norv and AJ officially gone.

Norv Turner, A.J. Smith fired by San Diego Chargers - NFL.com

Rejoicing with the Chargers fans! Long overdue.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:50 PM   #57
Thomkal
Head Coach

I think Turner and especially Reid need to take a year away from coaching and recharge their batteries. With Reid losing his son like he did, it might be a good thing to spend more time with his family. Not likely to happen in either case, but just my opinion.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #58
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I think Turner and especially Reid need to take a year away from coaching and recharge their batteries. With Reid losing his son like he did, it might be a good thing to spend more time with his family. Not likely to happen in either case, but just my opinion.

Agreed. A year away from the sport has to give people a perspective. Turner's not a good coach so it won't matter in his case but Reid needs time off.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:58 PM   #59
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
If I were him, Chicago might be #1. Invest in OL and bring in youth for the D and you have a yearly playoff contender. The team seems like it would fit better with a vet coach versus a younger one.

Chicago would be a very good fit. Almost too good.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #60
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
There was a great article on Grantland a few weeks ago about how teams should spend more on top notch head coaches and staffs. They brought up the fact it wasn't salary cap based, you could spend whatever you wanted and a good head coach clearly could make a huge difference.

I think too many get caught up in how bad their coach is because they either didn't win a title or that they don't make the playoffs every single year. If the Broncos job opened up tomorrow, I really wouldn't have a problem with Lovie Smith or Andy Reid.

Start with Lovie, I think the GM's he's had have been nothing short of village idiots. He still finished with a .563 winning clip and a conference title.

Reid is even easier. The guy had 9 playoff berths in 14 years. Everyone says McNabb was his savior, but it's funny how many of those same people say McNabb was never an elite QB. He has a career 10-9 playoff record. A break here, a break there, he gets his title. Through most of his tenor, he managed the cap incredibly well. He was taking the Eagles to the playoffs and doing it well under the cap.

Then they opened up their wallet and went on a spending spree. Obviously, it didn't work out and I see why he is being fired. But the guy can flat out coach. I think he will get a Super bowl someday. This isn't Rich Kotite we are talking about here. People are trying to spin this guy as a horrific coach who would be horrible for their football team. Please. He would be worse than Norv Turner, Chan Gailey, Romeo Crennel, Mike Mularkey or Ron Rivera? Are you kidding me?

Agreed with all this and add that Lovie also never had an elite QB and Reid pretty consistently had the Eagles in Super Bowl contention during the period of time that McNabb was at his peak (borderline elite?). The NFL is such a QB driven league that I'd take either of these two, as well.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #61
QuikSand
lolzcat

Yes yes, love the Cowher to Chicago angle. Let's declare it an official NFL rumor.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #62
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I dread the future time when the Pats will have to rejoin this coaching-change nonsense.

Can we clone Beli please?

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-31-2012 at 01:04 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:09 PM   #63
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
He took a team with the talent of a 4-5 win squad and made the playoffs. Id say he did a great job.

Not near the impressive performance of McCarthy and having a 15 win team lose in their first playoff game last year or a talented 13+ win team underachieve by 2+ games this year though I guess.

One might consider McCarthy an idiot for sticking with an awful kicker the entire year.

Being sarcastic. Lovie needed to go and Frasier did well in getting his only good player the ball and as for McCarthy I think hes one of better coaches in the league.

McCarthy's an idiot too but he won a Superbowl which buys him time. The team has enough talent to make the playoffs every year for the next 5 years so he's not going anywhere. They did have one game stolen from them and they did win the division. Woodson, Jennings, Nelson, Bulaga, Matthews, Cedric Benson, so many injuries to key players, I don't think they underachieved. The Vikings did well because of AP, not because of anything Frazier did. In a couple years they will regret giving him an extension.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #64
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Glad Gailey is gone, now they need to bring someone in that actually has an understanding of the game and is willing to make changes.

Nope , the walking cadaver that is the owner will go cheap and hire some warm
body on the cheap since he hoards his money as if he could spend it in the afterlife......

No, I am not bitter.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:20 PM   #65
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I dread the future time when the Pats will have to rejoin this coaching-change nonsense.

Can we clone Beli please?

Every sub-replacement-level game that Matt Cassel plays for the Chiefs gives me more and more respect for Belichick and the entire Patriots coaching/front office organization.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #66
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Do the struggles of Cassel, Sanchez, Palmer and Lienart hurt Barkley?
Old 12-31-2012, 01:51 PM   #67
Suicane75
Coordinator

I love Andy Reid to death, and what he did for this franchise can't be overstated. But it was time to go. He built a perennial contender from the ground up but his inability to adapt has been sooooo frustrating. His pass first style has not worked since McNabb left and his refusal to ride McCoy has created a ton of hatred among the fan base. Watching that shitty pass protecting O-Line try and block 50 times a game has caused an exceptional amount of heartburn for Eagles fans, especially when we see how good the offense can be when they run the frigging ball. It's kind of amazing that for years the offense succeeded without a real #1 receiver but then when we got Maclin and Jackson, McNabb was pretty much at the end. If that group had had more time together I think they could have done some great things but the eras just didn't overlap.

That NFC Title game in Arizona will always be a thorn in my side and maybe the straw that broke the camels back for Andy. I believe we were the better team but we let it slip away. If he get's to another Super Bowl or wins it, maybe things happen differently, I dunno, but I think his legacy would be different.

On top of all this, this issues with his sons of course, as has been stated in this thread already, just had to have taken something out of him. It almost seems as if he's got blinders on and just wants to keep working and working and working. I feel bad for Andy Reid the man as much as Andy Reid the coach. I wouldn't go so far as to call it pity but it just seems from a distance like he really needs to stop and catch his breath.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #68
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Do the struggles of Cassel, Sanchez, Palmer and Lienart hurt Barkley?

Palmer was at least good for a period of time. I think Barkley wrote his own death wish with this past season though.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #69
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

putting all your eggs in the michael vick basket was what sunk the eagles.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:08 PM   #70
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hard to tell if he would be interested, but if so, you'd think Cowher could call his own shot in a lot of these places. Either oversee or even manage personnel, bring aboard his own staff, and so forth. not sure what he wants in life, but if coaching remains on the list, my guess is he'd be attractive to teams like CLE or BUF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
From what I heard, rumor wise, this will probably be the year Cowher comes back. Gruden still likes his current job too much.

Quote:

Cleveland would be the better of the other two. Work on defense and WR. No one will blame you for dumping Weeden at some point. The dominate team of the division is Baltimore, who has to be one of the least intimidating division leaders out there.

Buffalo's D is terrible. They are saddled with Fitzpatrick's contract if he continues to under perform. They are at least looking up to NE for as long as Brady is there.

Quote:
Chicago would be a very good fit. Almost too good.

Chicago makes a bunch of sense for Cowher.

He's said all along for him to take a job he needs 1) a QB in place 2) a strong defense and 3) the ability to be involved in the draft process.

Typically you'd think the teams with those items aren't always looking for a coach, but in this case, Chicago is.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #71
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Palmer was at least good for a period of time. I think Barkley wrote his own death wish with this past season though.

Yeah, Barkley falling to the second wouldn't be a surprise.

The USC thing just goes to a question I've been thinking about, what position would you never draft from a particular college. USC quarterbacks would be high on my list.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #72
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wonder how many teams will feign interest in Lovie Smith and Jim Caldwell long enough to search out the coach that they really want. The Rooney rule had a place, but it seems largely a token gesture at this point in time.

Last edited by stevew : 12-31-2012 at 02:17 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:29 PM   #73
korme
Go Reds

Nobody look at Mike Zimmer
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:39 PM   #74
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Nobody look at Mike Zimmer

I would like the Bengals let Marvin go just to make Zimmer the coach.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #75
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
As far as the Steelers go-

Harrison, Colon will be cut
Ben/Timmons/Woodley all "capped out".
Polamalu will probably be capped out, but could be cut or forced to take a reduction in salary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Harrison may end up retiring, but I wouldn't mind bringing him back for one more year in a reduced role and salary.

Sounds like Hampton wants to come back and I hope he does.

Put some thoughts in the other thread, but I'll add here too

Agree with steve, #7, #94 and #56 will all be restructuring.

I actually think Harrison and Polamalu are back. Both were better the last quarter of the season compared to the first. Yes, their cap #s are scary for guys who can't stay healthy, but with the expected savings from the restructuring (above), one more year isn't going to break them.

Starks should be back. He played every snap this year, and gave up 3.5 sacks. He's not in the elite group of LTs, but I'd be scared as hell going into next year with Marcus Gilbert (dressed 19, started 18 of 32 possible ) and Mike Adams (dressed 10, started 6 of 16 possible).

Colon is probably gone. As much as I liked him at G, on a team with some young pieces at OL and salary cap issues, you can't hold a guy who will never make it through a full season. Really liked Kelvin Beachum did the 2nd half of the year. I believe they were pegging him at G rather than T all along.

Foster and Legursky are both UFA, but can't see either getting much attention.

Keenan Lewis should be priority #1. A group of CBs built around Ike, Lewis and Cortez Allen is pretty nice, after years of Bryant McFadden and Will Gay.

Wallace, I've accepted, is gone. I don't know what the Colts cap situation looks like, but Wallace to the dome in Indy + Luck + Arians (who Wallace had his best seasons under) makes a ton of sense.

Hampton, if he's playing for $1M, fine. McLendon was hyped all preseason, then barely saw the field. McLendon + Ta'amu are the future.

Keisel should be back. Hood...I don't think he was as terrible as alot of local people did. Teams ran at him alot, but at times, he seemed to always be around loose balls and making some plays in the backfield.

Sean Spence I think gets every chance to win the ILB job and send Larry Foote on his way.

Ryan Clark has been so solid since arriving in Pittsburgh. A loud majority of people I work with don't like him, and I can never figure out why.

Mendenhall out. He's more talented than Dwyer and Redman, and I think the team knew this even when the yinzer fans howled how awful he was. But, he did nothing to help himself after returning from injury, on or off the field. Redman and Dwyer will both be back.

Draft wise I think the key positions would be:

S/DB - safety makes the most sense because both starters are 30+. But should Keenan Lewis walk, a CB might be more important.

WR - Brown, Sanders, Cotchery is a nice group. They'd probably love to add a speed guy to replace Wallace, and eventually compete with Sanders for the spot opposite Brown. The injury to Heath Miller also opens a spot, at least early in the year, on passing downs.

OLB - Harrison and Woodley have played together something like 10 of the last 32 games. Harrison, at best, probably has 1 year left. Woodley has been a disappointment since getting his big deal.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:43 PM   #76
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley
It partly falls on the GM as well. OL and WR have been an issue for the Bears for some time, and they never seem to make either a draft priority.

Emery gets a pass on the Offensive Line this past season and he did bring in Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffrey. He took over somewhat late and had his former O-Line coach and current Offensive Coordinator insisting that the OLine problems had nothing to do with talent and everything to do with the Martz offense.

Quote:
With a better line, I think Cutler, Forte, and the guys would've been more productive which would've helped our D be even more effective.

Considering the people Lovie hired as OC I doubt personnel would have made a big difference. Ron Turner's offense was power running and deep passing, which was phased out in the 90s because it's an inefficient offense. Tice's offense was almost a carbon copy of the Ron Turner offense. Martz was just a terrible idea.

A great example of how Tice calls a game happened late in the Lions game yesterday. 3rd and 3 with a 2 point lead Cutler drops back, is forced to tuck and run and Brandon Marshall's route didn't even have him looking back for the ball until Cutler had passed the line of scrimmage.

The Bears as an organization have to realize that efficient passing is the foundation of every successful offense in the NFL right now.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #77
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post

One thing about this, I'm a Mason Crosby fan. Of course, he was a CU Buff and any Buff or OK State Cowboy gets some blinders on from me. That said, while his year has been tough, it is beyond what people are making it out to be.

Here is Mason in his career by year: 79.5%, 79.4%, 75.0%, 78.6%, 85.7%, 63.6%.

Explain the anomaly here. He's 28 years old, not 43. Look deeper into the stats and you see the problem is on 50 yard FG. He's 2 for 9 from beyond 50. Beyond the FG duties, he's in the top 10 again in touchbacks from kickoffs and average starting field position on kickoffs.

Yes, he's had a miserable year. But he's also been solid for his career. He will bounce back and the Packers will benefit when he does.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #78
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post

Draft wise I think the key positions would be:

S/DB - safety makes the most sense because both starters are 30+. But should Keenan Lewis walk, a CB might be more important.

WR - Brown, Sanders, Cotchery is a nice group. They'd probably love to add a speed guy to replace Wallace, and eventually compete with Sanders for the spot opposite Brown. The injury to Heath Miller also opens a spot, at least early in the year, on passing downs.

OLB - Harrison and Woodley have played together something like 10 of the last 32 games. Harrison, at best, probably has 1 year left. Woodley has been a disappointment since getting his big deal.

Outside of QB and C, I think you could sell me on just about any position being justified within the first 3 rounds. Pretty much best available player wouldn't offend me.

Depending on what the future holds for Rainey (could he be an insider receiver, as well as a back?), I think an offensive playmaker (be it at WR or RB) is a high priority, another DE, and a new TE are up there. Not sure about OLB unless it is a guy that falls into our lap, as we have spent a lot of resources on them the past few drafts.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:55 PM   #79
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Reid is even easier. The guy had 9 playoff berths in 14 years. Everyone says McNabb was his savior, but it's funny how many of those same people say McNabb was never an elite QB. He has a career 10-9 playoff record. A break here, a break there, he gets his title. Through most of his tenor, he managed the cap incredibly well.

If you'd seen the clip of Reid in the Punt, Pass, and Kick competition, you'd know he hasn't been a tenor in quite some time.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:56 PM   #80
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wouldn't mind seeing Plax back next year at a reasonable cost. It's going to suck when we have nobody that can break a game open like Wallace, although I'm sure we will manage.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:06 PM   #81
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Intriguing thought on the Bears front. New head coach means the possibility of moving to a 3-4 defensive scheme, which might actually be a decent thought.

Henry Melton is a free agent and with his Pro Bowl appearance, will likely be expensive to keep. On the outside, you have Peppers and Corey Wooton who played quite well, and a 1st round pick made for the 3-4 in Shea McClellan.

So assuming you trot out Peppers, Idonije (he'd need to bulk up a bit), and Wooton up front, you'd have Nick Roach, Lance Briggs, Shea McClellan, and Someone Else as linebackers, assuming for a minute Urlacher is retiring/leaving, a good possibility.

Could be an interesting option.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #82
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Considering the people Lovie hired as OC I doubt personnel would have made a big difference. Ron Turner's offense was power running and deep passing, which was phased out in the 90s because it's an inefficient offense. Tice's offense was almost a carbon copy of the Ron Turner offense. Martz was just a terrible idea.

A great example of how Tice calls a game happened late in the Lions game yesterday. 3rd and 3 with a 2 point lead Cutler drops back, is forced to tuck and run and Brandon Marshall's route didn't even have him looking back for the ball until Cutler had passed the line of scrimmage.

The Bears as an organization have to realize that efficient passing is the foundation of every successful offense in the NFL right now.

You still need the deep threats for the passing and the OL for the running game and protection. I think a power rushing attack and play action still work. You need to the personnel to run it, and Chicago never really had it. Seven of the 11 top rushing teams are in the playoffs as where only two of the bottom 10 are.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:08 PM   #83
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I wouldn't mind seeing Plax back next year at a reasonable cost. It's going to suck when we have nobody that can break a game open like Wallace, although I'm sure we will manage.

I just don't see where he fits. Are you sold on him as a 3rd WR? Cotchery is the perfect 4th WR. Starter in the league before, makes tough catches, can be used as a hands guy on PR, and plays ST.

I think it's overblown, but not playing ST kills Plax. That's why I think WR is a mid-level need. A guy who can play ST, return punts, sit behind Cotchery if needed, and eventually challenge Sanders.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #84
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
How in the world did he ever get that job in the first place?

Not only did he get the job, but didn't the Bills leak the story in advance, talking about the big name hire they got, and how everyone will be so impressed with it?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:29 PM   #85
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Here we go.

Bills fire entire staff + stealth meeting with Cowher = (hope?) - Front Office Football Central
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #86
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
You still need the deep threats for the passing and the OL for the running game and protection. I think a power rushing attack and play action still work. You need to the personnel to run it, and Chicago never really had it. Seven of the 11 top rushing teams are in the playoffs as where only two of the bottom 10 are.

You don't have to throw for 5k yards, but you do have to throw the ball efficiently. In the NFL right now the pass sets up the run for all but a couple of the top offenses in the NFL. The Packers, Saints, and Patriots were 1, 2, 3 throwing the ball last year according to Football Outsiders. They also ranked 7th, 2nd, and 4th running the ball.

The two teams that are currently best known for using the run to set up the pass are probably the Seahawks and 49ers, who are the 1st and 2nd ranked rushing offenses. They also happen to rank 4th and 7th among passing offenses because they throw the ball efficiently.

Basically, you can't do what the Bears have done in Lovie Smith's time as head coach and almost completely ignore the short passing game in favor of low percentage pass plays down the field. The bears have had a quarterback in the top 15 in completion percentage once since 2000. That's the root of the offensive issues the Bears have had over the years.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:37 PM   #87
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
putting all your eggs in the michael vick basket was what sunk the eagles.

Eh. Vick takes a lot of flack but he's been under constant attack thanks to the O-Line and the gameplan. McNabb was clearly done, it wasn't like there were a ton of options out there. Maybe in the past 2 seasons you could have gone after Flynn instead but Manning wasn't coming here and Kolb likely would not have fared any better. It's also not as if Vicks contract hamstrung us so that's not a factor. He's an easy scapegoat but I don't think it's even close to all on him.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #88
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I wonder how many teams will feign interest in Lovie Smith and Jim Caldwell long enough to search out the coach that they really want. The Rooney rule had a place, but it seems largely a token gesture at this point in time.

Mike Tomlin.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:51 PM   #89
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Lovie cooked his own goose. He had some control over personnel during Angelo's regime and definitely was able to choose his OC and DC. Lovie had more than enough opportunities to win even with the crappy drafts that Angelo had. I suspect that a lot of Angelo's higher draft picks had something to do with what Lovie wanted (can anyone Dan Bezine). Not to mention he was such a pompous ass which would have been fine if he were able to win like Belichick.

His defense was part of his downfall this year especially against Seattle. I was not a fan of his when he arrived and having to live through his inability to adjust in game just drove me nuts. Did he have a decent record? Sure. Take a look at his record versus winning teams and he flat out is bad. Now with that said let's hope my Bears make a smart decision for the new head coach.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:06 PM   #90
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Oh, Chip Kelly seemingly has to land somewhere, right?
Rumor is Kelly is holding out for a team that will give him "total control". Given all the open positions and how hot his name is, he just might have enough leverage to get what he wants.

On the other hand, teams have to be wary that Goodell might enforce a "show-cause" penalty if the NCAA indeed places one on him - something that looks quite possible given the current state of that case and Kelly's direct involvement in the infractions.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #91
Izulde
Head Coach

I wish Miami would fire Jeff Ireland already.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:12 PM   #92
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Mike Tomlin.

He wasn't a Rooney rule interviewee.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:16 PM   #93
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I wish Miami would fire Jeff Ireland already.

+1
Old 12-31-2012, 04:26 PM   #94
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Lovie cooked his own goose. He had some control over personnel during Angelo's regime and definitely was able to choose his OC and DC. Lovie had more than enough opportunities to win even with the crappy drafts that Angelo had. I suspect that a lot of Angelo's higher draft picks had something to do with what Lovie wanted (can anyone Dan Bezine). Not to mention he was such a pompous ass which would have been fine if he were able to win like Belichick.

His defense was part of his downfall this year especially against Seattle. I was not a fan of his when he arrived and having to live through his inability to adjust in game just drove me nuts. Did he have a decent record? Sure. Take a look at his record versus winning teams and he flat out is bad. Now with that said let's hope my Bears make a smart decision for the new head coach.
+1
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #95
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I would like the Bengals let Marvin go just to make Zimmer the coach.

Make Marvin GM because he knows how to build teams. Move Zimmer to HC. Promote from within to DC. Carrier maybe?

I have no problem with things remaining as they are, but if something has to happen, I like the above scenario most.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #96
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Make Marvin GM because he knows how to build teams. Move Zimmer to HC. Promote from within to DC. Carrier maybe?

I have no problem with things remaining as they are, but if something has to happen, I like the above scenario most.

Or at least hire somebody to be in charge of game management. I love what Lewis has changed with this team but good God he doesn't understand challenges, time outs, or play calling with a lead.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:29 PM   #97
corbes
College Benchwarmer

CLE appears to be posturing as if the next coach will have an opportunity for lots of control: something that is necessary to attract some of the coaches on the market, see, e.g., Cowher, Chip Kelly. However, I question whether this is really true given that Joe Banner is the team president. In PHI, Banner exercised a considerable degree of control over player personnel choices and eventually lost a power struggle with Reid. Given Banner's status in the organization now, I don't see him ceding actual power to a new coach. For that reason, I don't think CLE is a viable choice for some of the total-control choices, even though ownership is saying that they want to make a big splash.

In PHI there is a similar dynamic, in that the owner has made clear that GM Howie Roseman is going to have control over player personnel choices. Again, I don't think PHI is the destination for a total-control coach.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:41 PM   #98
Jas_lov
College Starter

Cowher would be a good fit in Cleveland or Carolina. Gruden would be a good fit in Philly, SD, maybe even Chicago but I doubt the Bears would pay him. These guys would want total control and top dollars so it probably has to be a franchise that is desperate.

Chicago should hire Kyle Shanahan. They're probably better suited with a younger, offensive minded coach. Maybe Marinelli will stay on as DC. I see they're going to interview Mike McCoy so maybe that's their thinking as well.

I wouldn't hire retreads like Andy Reid and Lovie Smith. They would be better off sitting out next year and waiting. The interesting ones will be Chip Kelly and Bruce Arians. Philly and SD will probably give those two a look.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:51 PM   #99
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Cowher would be a good fit in Cleveland or Carolina. Gruden would be a good fit in Philly, SD, maybe even Chicago but I doubt the Bears would pay him. These guys would want total control and top dollars so it probably has to be a franchise that is desperate.

Chicago should hire Kyle Shanahan. They're probably better suited with a younger, offensive minded coach. Maybe Marinelli will stay on as DC. I see they're going to interview Mike McCoy so maybe that's their thinking as well.

I wouldn't hire retreads like Andy Reid and Lovie Smith. They would be better off sitting out next year and waiting. The interesting ones will be Chip Kelly and Bruce Arians. Philly and SD will probably give those two a look.

I think Lovie would be a good fit in Cleveland, but I think he sits out a year as well. Lovie would get them to consistent 8-8 to 9-7 years with the occasional better record when things break their way. They would just need a front office prepared to let him go as soon as he reaches his ceiling.

Last edited by Atocep : 12-31-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:11 PM   #100
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

I remember Snyder and the Redskins trying this approach under Gibbs. Gave Greg Williams and Al Saunders enormous coordinator deals that paid them more than they would make as first time head coaches. Didn't work out so well.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote