Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-09-2008, 02:58 PM   #51
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Calis, in the early game, you pick up everything so you can 1) sell or 2) use to heal, etc. If you go the route of making potions (always good if you play mage like I do), you can simply concentrate on those items for the potion. By the latter part of the early game, you won't need all the stuff laying around and can concentrate on the many chests and such.

I never put my points into hunting skills because they were always put into better things. By the mid-game, you should have a lot of gold and if you do a good job in hunting down and killing orcs, their swords and loot will go a long ways.

Also, one important thing. Armor is mainly for decoration. You can dress yourself in some very cool looking robes, armor, etc. but don't expect to be identified by such, nor would they offer noticeable difference in protection.

Have a plan of what you want to become and concentrate your points there. The exceptions are learning to make healing/mana potions and picking difficult locks (very important since there are more of those chests around than any others).

Cool, thanks.

Well I've played quite a while last night and for a couple hours this morning and can say that I haven't had a crash yet, so that's good.

I've always been big on hunting in the Gothic games, I'm not entirely sure why and I don't think it's that great of a deal, but it always sort of fit my idea of the character as a survivalist out there foraging around. I've been focusing on going up the Sword tree, and am up to Master Swordsman there and then I went up the hunting tree to get enough points to get the Dual-wielding skill which I have now, but I haven't ran across anyone who can teach it yet. I imagine I'll have to get further into the game before I can find a teacher for that. I plan on going a pretty much straight physical route with no magic and just basic alchemy, and enough thievery/lockpicks to be able to get all the goodies. I can also see myself playing 4-5 more times with other builds.

The more I play the more I think this will probably end up being my favorite of the series. I'm nearly ready to liberate my 2nd town, but I'm doing a last run through to make sure I've finished every possible quest.

Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:40 PM   #52
Buccaneer
Head Coach

That is impressive. Do I assume the 2nd town is Montera?

Getting dual will be much later in the game.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:51 PM   #53
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I've also been crash free in the last few hours that I've been playing. However, my previous crash issues were generally later in the game.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:53 PM   #54
Calis
College Starter

Yeah, Montera..but to be honest I've wandered over to several of the other towns. I have cleared a pretty huge swath through there, but I'm steering clear of doing quests in the town until I finish.

I know you said it gets hard to get into town after your 2nd liberation, so should I actually hold off on liberating and do the quests in some of the other towns or just go ahead and finish it? I'm a little more concerned with Montera, there's a lot of guys there to kill so I'm scouring the area making sure I find all the help I possibly can.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:02 PM   #55
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Yes, you basically liberate Cape Dun and Montera for the gold and experience, which will carry you quite far into the game. But no more after that until the end of the game. Don't worry though, there are a billion things to kill outside of the towns, including many hordes of Orcs.

A hint on liberating Montera. Use the west gate for your advantage (making sure have cleared your back). The key is get them coming at you in one direction, if possible.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:31 PM   #56
Calis
College Starter

Quote:

A hint on liberating Montera. Use the west gate for your advantage (making sure have cleared your back). The key is get them coming at you in one direction, if possible.

I read this too late.

I got everything setup and decided to try something different liberating Montera. One of the NPC's mentioned that if I killed the main Orc leader that would be the signal and the rebels would help me out, so I Thought instead of wading through the entire mass to get to the boss, I'll start the fight in the castle and kill him first, and then the rebels will storm in, and maybe things will be easier in the long run.

That was not the case.

The rebels never showed, and the informant who told me that never even raised a hand, he sat in his house in the middle of the town while a massacre was going on, in fact none of the rebels even showed up. I had some help from slaves, but the rebels wouldn't move from their spot. Almost makes me regret helping them.

It was a chore though, I obviously had to run off, but I did manage to take down the head Orc without dying, but I had to run like hell after that. Then came a lot of sniping orcs, and trying to pull singles and fleeing back to the bands of rebels. It took a long time, but I actually managed to pull it off without dying which I was pretty surprised with, but I suppose maybe I was exploiting the AI there. I'll take it though. I did decide that I need to start putting some more points in bow skills though. I only had the lower level of the bow skill and I was doing some serious damage with the bow, moreso even than my sword..and with a bow that gives me the big game hunting ability I was one shotting a lot of the critters out in the forest, which felt nice after all the troubles I had before. It could not however save me when I barreled through a portion of forest into 3 trolls, you really have to move carefully in this game, when you get impatient you pay for it. You can turn an easy fight into an easy death very quickly.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:39 PM   #57
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Very impressive. The last time I played this game, I tried doing it that way and there was no way I could kill him and get away in time or even take out all of the guys around him. I had to use the method that Buc hints at (and actually wasn't successful with that before instability made me shelve the game.)

This run through with the game, I'm just heading to Montera now.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-09-2008 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:56 AM   #58
Buccaneer
Head Coach

My wife and I went out last night to celebrate our 12th so am now catching up. I can't believe that you would try to fight Montera from the inside out. Now that it couldn't be done but that certainly would be tough. Yikes.

Calis is right, patience is the key. There are things everywhere.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:01 AM   #59
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
My wife and I went out last night to celebrate our 12th so am now catching up. I can't believe that you would try to fight Montera from the inside out. Now that it couldn't be done but that certainly would be tough. Yikes.

Calis is right, patience is the key. There are things everywhere.

Yeah it was a terrible idea in hindsight, but the rebel informant in the town there in town tells you to get in there and kill the Orc leader and then the rebels will help..but that ended up being a lie. I was hoping that it would trigger some big invasion, but that didn't happen.

I didn't actually end up fighting from the inside out, I started in the inside, and then ran far far away, then returned and started clearing it out starting with the farms to the side of town and things went relatively smoothly from there.

I'll gladly not liberate anymore towns for a while. Although it did get me setup money-wise for the foreseeable future.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:20 AM   #60
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Remember, Gothic (esp. 3) is more of an action-adventure RPG (I play it strictly as an a-a game since I don't role play or get into that at all). It is basically you-against-the-world. Occassionally you will get a buddy to help but most all NPC are too weak to kill anything but won't be killed themselves. I use them just like I use summonings (like a Demon or something) - to distract a tough foe so I can shoot some fireballs or something at them.

One thing I forgot about liberating Montera/towns, make sure you look at all of the chests and pick up EVERYTHING that is not nailed down, apart from all of the weapons and loot off of the bodies. Then go to the rebel leader that wants that town liberated to get the points. Soon after that, the rebels will come to take over the town and you will have lost your chance to steal anything (i.e., will be accused of theft).

I hope all of you are religiously doing the Arena fights everywhere. Nothing in the game gets you more points easier. I have fought over 100 arena battles and not lost one except in Cape Dun where it is very easy to step outside the boundaries. I am not a swordfighter but that's just the way the game is - just like you saw when you fought the Orcs in Ardea at the beginning.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:28 AM   #61
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Part of Brian's recent PM had this quote, "Exploring new lands is the most fun."

To me, that is 90% of the game. I would have been content if they gave me this world and not do anything in it except travel around. That's how much love this world and its variety. Fortunately, unlike Oblivion, Gothic does fill up that world so exploring does become an adventure.

The lands of Myrtana reminds me Colorado and California, so much at home in that place. And then you get into Varant and it is what you expect from a wide open desert (where, admittedly, the towns themselves are best parts). Then there's Normar. Oh man, nothing in the game will prepare you for that.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:06 PM   #62
BYU 14
Coordinator

This has kind of piqued my interest....Is the combat the same style as Oblivion?
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:20 PM   #63
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
This has kind of piqued my interest....Is the combat the same style as Oblivion?

Yes, just mashing the left/right buttons. If you play mage, you just hold the buttons down a little longer. Oblivion may give you more variety of weapons but I found that they did not do any difference. There are 3 mage spells that I used in Gothic, depending in the situation. I used just 1 the whole time in Oblivion. It is more simpler combat system, which has garnered a lot of criticism from Gothic vets (i.e., dumbed-down) but some of those people wanted to roleplay more. Both games, as well as others, are using scaled combat, which is good or bad or indifferent.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:06 AM   #64
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Part of Brian's recent PM had this quote, "Exploring new lands is the most fun."

To me, that is 90% of the game. I would have been content if they gave me this world and not do anything in it except travel around. That's how much love this world and its variety. Fortunately, unlike Oblivion, Gothic does fill up that world so exploring does become an adventure.

The lands of Myrtana reminds me Colorado and California, so much at home in that place. And then you get into Varant and it is what you expect from a wide open desert (where, admittedly, the towns themselves are best parts). Then there's Normar. Oh man, nothing in the game will prepare you for that.

Well it's Saturday, I'm done with my homework..there's an ice storm coming, all of this equals up to a marathon session of Gothic 3.

I agree 100%, this is a game about exploration. The story is really secondary, and the combat while I enjoy it is nothing special, I just love walking around, seeing what's over the next hill or seeing if I can find a way to climb that mountain in the distance, check out that cave, etc...I'd love to see like a Mountain Man/Survivalish type game done with this..you just really get a feeling of being in a vast wilderness.

I did the quests in town to open up the pass to Normar(I think that's the same place, the big are up North), and your talk about it makes me really want to go through, but I have so much to do before I get there, so I'm making myself wait. Excited to see it though.

Progress is going good though, I'm right now trying to defeat the demon that controls the one town, and my first attempt did not go well..I might have to go back to this one.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:44 PM   #65
Calis
College Starter

Well this one surprised me. I was talking to a friend about horrible interfaces and control schemes and that of course reminded me of Gothic 1 so I did some searching to send some links on it and noticed that there is an expansion to the 3rd game in the works which I had no idea about.

http://www.gamingshogun.com/Article/...sion_Announced

Not much in the way of details but I'll definitely be keeping an eye out. I'm still playing this one occasionally, but moving through it very slowly. Here in a couple weeks I should have a lot more time to delve into it. My goals for the summer are to finish this one up and finish The Witcher when the mini-expansion comes out for it.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:03 PM   #66
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

That was probably my bigeest problem with Oblivion. There were two areas in Oblivion, essencially, the grasslands plus the grasslands with snow on top. I'll have to look into giving Gothic 3 a try (I have the 2nd one, but couldn't get into it.)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:34 PM   #67
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
That was probably my bigeest problem with Oblivion. There were two areas in Oblivion, essencially, the grasslands plus the grasslands with snow on top. I'll have to look into giving Gothic 3 a try (I have the 2nd one, but couldn't get into it.)

And not only that, they put nothing in that world. God I hated Oblivion.

I would recommend to give Gothic 3 a try, it's much more open-ended than Gothic 2, plus more action/adventure type game, not to mention a world that is 5x bigger (so varied and interesting that it boggles the mind). Brian (EaglesFan27) and I can help, if needed.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:39 PM   #68
Calis
College Starter

So a few weeks back I had a pretty massive PC crisis and ended up losing my Gothic 3 save which had me very deep into the game. Disappointing, but I still had the urge to see it through so I started it up again and having been playing through bits at a time.

Anyhow, I decided to try it this time siding with the Orcs. Anyone ever tried this? Bucc? I'm wondering if it really changes up the game much, or if it's basically the same for the most part. I tend to think it's the same for the most part except at the end you're destroying rebel camps instead of Orcs?

I'm actually finding it rather difficult to go this route, not from a gameplay standpoint but from a guilt one. It's odd, I'm not sure I've ever felt guilty playing an "evil" character in an RPG, or even something like Grand Theft Auto, but something about this smacks you pretty hard. I guess it's the fact you're selling out your entire race is a bit hard to swallow, and the fact a lot of the guys you've interacted with over several games.

Think I'll try focusing more on magic this go round as well, because I've never really done that in the Gothic games. I've always gone melee.

Still a blast exploring. I'm running into places in the beginning area I didn't see the first playthrough and I thought I was very thorough.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:55 PM   #69
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Yes, the last time I played it through was siding with the Orcs - just for different gameplay. I think there were a few new quests in Myrtana but the biggest difference was instead of liberating the cities, I liberated the three rebel camps. That was certainly very different and interesting. Normar was the same since all Orcs were still hostile there. What really made the game different was Varant - where I did most of the Hashishan quests (including going into Ishtar for the first time). Much of that was new, even though one still have to do the temples stuff. But as far as guilt, I don't roleplay since I view games like strictly as an action/adventure game - clearly the best one I have ever played. I haven't caught up on news but I guess the expansion pack is still coming out later this year.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:57 PM   #70
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Forget to add that what you have to do for Beliar at the end was very, very fun, probably the most intense and exciting moments in all of the times I've played.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:09 PM   #71
Calis
College Starter

Cool, thanks. Think I'll keep trying it that way. Sounds like there's more to it than I thought.

I believe the expansion is still coming, and I recently heard some news about the new game by these guys. Things have branched off, because the team that made the first three Gothics(Piranha Bytes) got the boot so are working on a new series, and the new Gothic is from a new group(I remember reading some hoopla about this one a while back because they're actually using different color palettes in the U.S. and Euro version.)

Looks like the Piranha Bytes game is called Risen. Not much info out on it yet, but it sounds like the world will be similar at least. I have heard no Elves and Dwarves so a similar non-Tolkienesque setting like the previous games, but no Orcs this time which is a pretty big switch.

Here's a FAQ with some basic info.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:21 PM   #72
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Thanks, I'll check it out sometime. Any game that is mostly humans is great for me. I knew Spellbound was working on the expansion, as they helped with the latest patch, along with the WOG community.

Good luck. Now if we can just get EF27 back into it...
Old 08-15-2008, 11:42 PM   #73
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks, I'll check it out sometime. Any game that is mostly humans is great for me. I knew Spellbound was working on the expansion, as they helped with the latest patch, along with the WOG community.

Good luck. Now if we can just get EF27 back into it...

I really did enjoy it, but just haven't been able to get back into it for some reason. I'll give it another try tomorrow, and see if it can capture me again.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:26 AM   #74
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Has anybody had any issues with the game running in slow-motion? When I move the camera around everything moves slowly so I don't think I'm having a frame rate issue, but the actual combat and moving around seems like it is in slow-motion. My PC is about 6 months old and built pretty well.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:25 AM   #75
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Has anybody had any issues with the game running in slow-motion? When I move the camera around everything moves slowly so I don't think I'm having a frame rate issue, but the actual combat and moving around seems like it is in slow-motion. My PC is about 6 months old and built pretty well.

Because they designed the game without loading levels (e.g., seemless gameworld), there are some slow parts in places, as well as when you start playing. But for me, it only lasts no more than 30-60 seconds before it starts running normally. It's like they are loading all of the 3D objects upon load. I usually wait about a minute before doing anything. I don't recall but I think the last major patch addressed this.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:31 AM   #76
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I applied the 1.6 community patch. I have also looked at the in-game font fix but haven't had a chance to try it yet. Post-patch, I played through the opening battle through to its end with no change speed. Slightly disappointing as I've heard many good things about the game and would love to get into it.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:37 AM   #77
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I do think that the opening battle is optimized as I have never noticed any speed changes. I have played through this game four times - each about 60-100 hours (I think). There are a number of minor complaints but the fun and immensity far, far outweighs the annoyances. I hope you stick with it and ask if any questions.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:19 PM   #78
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I'll try the many tweaks I've found and see if I can find something that works. Hopefully it will.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:35 PM   #79
Buccaneer
Head Coach

It looks like the add-on, Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods will be out in a week or two. I was really hoping for a new land but not only will there be no new lands, the add-on is a stand-alone game existing solely in Myrtana, two years into the future (Nordmar and Varant will be off-limits). Bummer.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:53 PM   #80
Calis
College Starter

Did you pick this up yet Bucc? Any thoughts?

What little I heard was rather negative so curious what you thought.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:13 PM   #81
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I did pick this up for Christmas and I know it's fairly bad. The outsourced it to a cheap Indian software company which knew nothing about the series (just a script that JoWood provided them). As typical, the initial release had lots of bugs and performance problems (characters talking to a stick, for example). All I am hoping for between now and Christmas is one good patch and two days worth of gameplay. Not expecting any more than that but not get even that.

But there are some positive things about it - a rebuilt Myrtana (esp. Venguard) and different series of quests, with familiar people in different roles.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 12-09-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:32 AM   #82
Calis
College Starter

This one snuck up on me. The spiritual successor to Gothic(Made by the same dev team, but they lost the Gothic license) is coming out this Friday here on Steam and supposedly in stores.

I hadn't done much reading on it, but on another forum I go to some people have review copies or got a hold of a copy early and are saying very positive things about it. A lot of comparisions to the first two Gothics are being made. Sounds like it is at least not a mess like Gothic 3 was at release.

I'll more than likely end up buying it this weekend to try out. These guys haven't failed me yet. They know how to make a world that's a blast to explore.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:41 AM   #83
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Yep, I saw the preview of Risen on Steam and thought it looked familiar. Then noticed it was made by Piranha Bytes and it clicked with me. I had no idea they had something new cooking. I doubt I'll buy it day one, but will check in on it after a week or so and see how the launch goes.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:19 PM   #84
Calis
College Starter

Very initial thoughts. I just bought it on Steam and have only played about an hour or so but I'm very impressed so far, at least compared to the traditional Piranha Bytes release. The game is running extremely smooth, it seems very well optimized. That is not usually the case, but this one is very nice. It looks pretty decent also, it's definitely not a top tier looking game but it's solid.

I get the feeling it's a little more focused like Gothic 1/2 than 3, which probably isn't a bad thing. The combat goes back to the Gothic 1 style of holding the mouse and pressing a direction. At least early on I think it's much more forgiving than the old games, but still pretty tough if you're not used to it.

From what I read this is a very good launch, and a solid game. I've seen some reviews that are pretty low, but those are reviewing the 360 version or are people that aren't going to like this game anyway. It's not a game that would appeal to everyone.

So far a very big thumbs up from me. I had forgotten just how much I love these games and the feeling the world and exploring it evokes. One of the few series that makes me feel like a kid again. Good thing the wife is working all weekend!

I'll give some more solid thoughts after I put more time in, but I think if you liked them in the past this one is shaping up to be good. Going to be weird without Orcs though.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:17 PM   #85
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I got Risen for Christmas and just spent four very long days playing it (PC version of course). Risen was a great game with many challenging (and sometimes frustrating) quests - but they all made sense eventually. Also, the small world was great looking, in a Myrtana kind of way. For the most part, I would give this game a 8.5 but the final boss fight knocked the game down to a 7.5. All game long, I worked hard to becoming a powerful mage but all that was irrelevant in the end fight. So I gave up at that point, after a solid 30-40 hours of gameplay.