Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-16-2018, 09:04 PM   #51
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Think I'll grab from Steam tonight..

What is quick recruiting?

Also, LWSFS do you coach your games or just recruit? I don't know too much about basketball so I would prefer a coach I hired would do that part and let me focus on getting talent into our program. I play the Pro game because I like to delegate stuff to my coaches.

What mods do you use? I see a couple different all on ones and just want real logos/colors/names/courts/etc

Gary, does the Steam version get updates as quick as the non-Steam version?

Thanks!

Quick recruiting is just an option you can turn on from the recruiting screen to allow you to setup most of the actions right there rather than going to the individual recruit cards.

The Steam version gets updates at the same time - we just have a beta patch out there right now on our site for one particular issue but I haven't heard any complaints with it so it will probably become an official patch tomorrow.

Gary Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:12 PM   #52
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
Quick recruiting is just an option you can turn on from the recruiting screen to allow you to setup most of the actions right there rather than going to the individual recruit cards.

The Steam version gets updates at the same time - we just have a beta patch out there right now on our site for one particular issue but I haven't heard any complaints with it so it will probably become an official patch tomorrow.

Thanks!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:37 PM   #53
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Quote:
Think I'll grab from Steam tonight..

What is quick recruiting?

Also, LWSFS do you coach your games or just recruit? I don't know too much about basketball so I would prefer a coach I hired would do that part and let me focus on getting talent into our program. I play the Pro game because I like to delegate stuff to my coaches.

What mods do you use? I see a couple different all on ones and just want real logos/colors/names/courts/etc

Gary, does the Steam version get updates as quick as the non-Steam version?

Thanks!

you cant hire a coach per se but you can set up all coaching tasks to be automated so you can focus on recruiting. you can also just sim all your games rather than entering the game screen which allows you to get through a season faster.

i like to enter the game screen put game speed on ten and watch the general flow of the game. if the game is close or a player is in foul trouble then ill slow things down and manage it. generally my games get done in three to five min.

i used the lite mod by slybelle if i remember correctly. it added some historical info, logos and court pictures. i modded the player pictures myself.

i know youll love it, i have yet to see you dislike a game anyway
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:43 PM   #54
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcjjdnh View Post
Thanks. Helpful.

Some specific questions:

1) Do players de-commit after verbal, or I am safe not recruit at that point?
2) Does calling personally give any “bonus” in recruiting, or just a way to get more info?
3) Is there anyway to get recommendations for training (or other tasks)? Didn’t want to defer completely but also would appreciate some guidance I could tweak.

1. this isnt an exact answer but after i had a player verbally commit, i was notified he didnt reach the minimum sat score to come to our school.

2... there is some dispute about this and some say its a placebo effect but i feel like calling personally helps. it also doesnt take long so i figure why not. ive done it to guys who didnt have me in their top five and eventually i wore them down ad got them

3. i think this is more trial and error. im still trying to figure things out as well.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:47 PM   #55
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding View Post
you cant hire a coach per se but you can set up all coaching tasks to be automated so you can focus on recruiting. you can also just sim all your games rather than entering the game screen which allows you to get through a season faster.

i like to enter the game screen put game speed on ten and watch the general flow of the game. if the game is close or a player is in foul trouble then ill slow things down and manage it. generally my games get done in three to five min.

i used the lite mod by slybelle if i remember correctly. it added some historical info, logos and court pictures. i modded the player pictures myself.

i know youll love it, i have yet to see you dislike a game anyway

The lite mod is supposed to have no history.. which is what I want, does the one for v17 work for v18 or did you use something different?

Haha.. I just don't buy games I don't think I'll like. If I do, I delete them a few days later and forget about them.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:06 PM   #56
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

I downloaded a couple of mods...maybe I got mixed up with which one I actually used

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2018, 03:13 AM   #57
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
The lite mod is supposed to have no history.. which is what I want, does the one for v17 work for v18 or did you use something different?

Haha.. I just don't buy games I don't think I'll like. If I do, I delete them a few days later and forget about them.

The LIGHT mod I created (based on Bloomington's FULL mod) does not include any history. Just includes logos and real names, no history, real coaches, etc. My version is just for the 2018 game just released, it is not meant to be used for the older 2017 game (located in the 2018 mod forum section). I originally created as just a temporary placeholder while Bloomington was preparing the FULL mod. But I actually like playing without history myself and others seem to like it based on download count so I likely will keep it out there for others to use.

Last edited by SlyBelle1 : 03-17-2018 at 03:15 AM.
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:00 AM   #58
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
The LIGHT mod I created (based on Bloomington's FULL mod) does not include any history. Just includes logos and real names, no history, real coaches, etc. My version is just for the 2018 game just released, it is not meant to be used for the older 2017 game (located in the 2018 mod forum section). I originally created as just a temporary placeholder while Bloomington was preparing the FULL mod. But I actually like playing without history myself and others seem to like it based on download count so I likely will keep it out there for others to use.

Thanks! I actually downloaded it last night and will fire up a game later today, this will be perfect for what I'm wanting!!
Old 03-17-2018, 09:36 AM   #59
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Get that patch on Steam Gary.. I'm ready to dive in after soccer this afternoon.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:04 AM   #60
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
glad you like it! it is something i put together for myself because i also hate the facegens included in the game. they creep me out lol

basically i selected nba facepacks from the wolverine site and action pc basketball and filtered out the players that were too recognizable to me and all the non white jerseys. gary recently upgraded the amount of pictures that can be randomly assigned to players in the game so my set is very much a work in progress but maybe ill zip up what i have and post it in the wolverine site tomorrow. the key is making sure the pictures are properly numbered , in the right folder and the correct size so the game can use them

wow, that's pretty easy. Im just gonna do it myself. I went on college sites for 2 conferences and easily mass saved 250 pics in 10 minutes. auto rename and resize, and it should work. Thanks!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:18 AM   #61
Johnny93g
College Starter

Ok, that worked perfectly and looks great in game. I see there is only 540 face gens or so in the game folder. Can I go over that and have a few thousands faces in their that the game will use? It really doesn't seem that hard to collect all these pictures and edit them.
TML
Old 03-17-2018, 12:35 PM   #62
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Get that patch on Steam Gary.. I'm ready to dive in after soccer this afternoon.

ok ok - geesh a guy can't even get a weekend

j/k - 1.2 is on both our site and Steam
Old 03-17-2018, 12:47 PM   #63
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

And if anyone is on the fence and wants some other opinions check out the review from ISN Online - they call it "a world-class game that will be enjoyed by the masses, whether you are a hardcore college hoops fan or just someone who enjoys the allure of March Madness"

Draft Day Sports: College Basketball 2018 (Review) – International Soccer Network

And if you want to know what the customers think feel free to check out the customer reviews tab on our DDSCB site page

Draft Day Sports: College Basketball Simulation Game (2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 02:15 PM   #64
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Ok, that worked perfectly and looks great in game. I see there is only 540 face gens or so in the game folder. Can I go over that and have a few thousands faces in their that the game will use? It really doesn't seem that hard to collect all these pictures and edit them.

Do share!
Old 03-17-2018, 02:15 PM   #65
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
ok ok - geesh a guy can't even get a weekend

j/k - 1.2 is on both our site and Steam

Weekends are for work!

Thank you! Got the update!!!
Old 03-17-2018, 03:39 PM   #66
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Do share!

gonna get about 1000 faces done, then ya, ill share. Hopefully by tomorrow, it really doesn't take to long!
TML
Old 03-17-2018, 03:43 PM   #67
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Quote:
gonna get about 1000 faces done, then ya, ill share. Hopefully by tomorrow, it really doesn't take to long!

sounds great! im too dumb to know how to use an automated program so this will be a big help to me too
Old 03-17-2018, 05:24 PM   #68
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Awesome! Maybe you could do some coach pictures too?

Make sure to release them over at the Wolverine forums too!

Quote:
I see there is only 540 face gens or so in the game folder. Can I go over that and have a few thousands faces in their that the game will use? It really doesn't seem that hard to collect all these pictures and edit them.

Yes! Gary fixed that in the last update!!

Quote:
- changed code to allow for more faces from the mod community

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-17-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:23 PM   #69
Johnny93g
College Starter

Ok here is the link, it should work, i assume...

MEGA

its got 1140 player faces. Extract and place in the graphics folder...

if someone wants to put it on the other forum, go ahead, i dont have an account there, and im lazy...
TML
Old 03-17-2018, 10:17 PM   #70
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ok here is the link, it should work, i assume...

MEGA

its got 1140 player faces. Extract and place in the graphics folder...

if someone wants to put it on the other forum, go ahead, i dont have an account there, and im lazy...

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2018, 11:58 AM   #71
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Quote:
1. this isnt an exact answer but after i had a player verbally commit, i was notified he didnt reach the minimum sat score to come to our school.

2... there is some dispute about this and some say its a placebo effect but i feel like calling personally helps. it also doesnt take long so i figure why not. ive done it to guys who didnt have me in their top five and eventually i wore them down ad got them

3. i think this is more trial and error. im still trying to figure things out as well.

Thanks!
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:01 PM   #72
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Should I assign one coach to each assignment, or am I free to use my recruiter as an extra coach once I've locked up my scholarships?

Am I right to think there is no recommendation button on the strategies page? Is there any guidance I can receive regarding what would be in the acceptable norms?
Old 03-18-2018, 12:05 PM   #73
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Also: do players ever go beyond their potential at a skill?
Old 03-18-2018, 12:16 PM   #74
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Sorry one more: what is "OUT" on the depth chart? Higher means? Lower means?
Old 03-18-2018, 01:14 PM   #75
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Ack, yet another: I just couldn't figure out how to make a sub while coaching. What am I missing? I clicked the table on the right, as instructed, but wouldn't let me sub in for anyone playing.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:42 PM   #76
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

OK, really the last one: are there any good threads (or could anyone advise) which sets fits what types of players? Not entirely clear to me what each of the categories translate into in real life, or what I'd want to do to feature those attributes.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:08 PM   #77
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Sorry, this is really, really the last one: do people tend to take full control when playing out games, or just set everything pre-game and use "auto" sets when playing out?
Old 03-18-2018, 02:25 PM   #78
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Sorry one more: what is "OUT" on the depth chart? Higher means? Lower means?

It is the percentage of stamina they will be at when they get subbed out for if the computer is running the team. Lower means they will play more minutes.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:27 PM   #79
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Sorry, this is really, really the last one: do people tend to take full control when playing out games, or just set everything pre-game and use "auto" sets when playing out?

It is probably a combination of both. I like to take full control but I know some people like to sim out and play seasons quickly.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-18-2018 at 02:28 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #80
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Thanks. Also, I think I discovered a "bug"--or at least something that's not user proof. I inadvertently deleted whatever email relates to the "petition board" function, and now am stuck on April 23.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:31 PM   #81
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

That's odd - I will look into it but if you look under help in the game there's instructions to submit your files. Send them in and I will fix them up as soon as possible so you can continue or you can restore the last good save from the main menu
Old 03-18-2018, 06:33 PM   #82
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:

Am I right to think there is no recommendation button on the strategies page? Is there any guidance I can receive regarding what would be in the acceptable norms?

I don't believe there is a recommend button on the Strategy page....however, if you go to Options at top of screen, you can turn on having the CPU managing both the Strategies and Practices. Not exactly the same as using a recommend button, but will in the end have the CPU make the call.
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:50 PM   #83
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcjjdnh
do people tend to take full control when playing out games, or just set everything pre-game and use "auto" sets when playing out?

From previous versions, most tend to sim instead of play simply because it gets you through seasons quicker. I think that's a good way to start getting the hang of the big picture, but some like myself eventually will want to drill down and experience the highs and lows of a year more in-depth.

Quote:
do players ever go beyond their potential at a skill?

No. Potential is just that. However your gauge of that potential is not 100% reliable.

Quote:
strategies page? Is there any guidance I can receive regarding what would be in the acceptable norms?

Probably would need a more specific question here. People have tried to do all things of crazy things strategically, with varying degrees of success.

Quote:
Should I assign one coach to each assignment, or am I free to use my recruiter as an extra coach once I've locked up my scholarships?

One to each. I'm not sure what you mean by extra coach.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:44 PM   #84
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Thanks to all those answering my dumb questions. While still learning, enjoying the game so far—the scouting reports and all that stuff really makes the game feel immersive.

A few more:

1) What does scoring attribute represent, as opposed to shooting? The ability to get to basket?
2) If I have good shooters, but low scoring, do I want to use a more structured offense? Or just some particular set?
3) What’s the structured offense vs. transition breakdown? What should I consider when setting this?
4) If I have a great shooting and passing SF, how best to run team around him?

Thanks again for the help! Not necessarily looking to have people do all of my work, just trying to get a better feel for how the strategies actually work in game.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:00 AM   #85
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

1. Ability to get your shot off. So high-scoring, low-shooting would be a high-volume, low-efficiency player. Similarly low-scoring, high-shooting player would be someone who needs the table set, pure-shooter type. Essentially scoring determines who is going to shoot the most.

2. I would recommend a structured offense in this case.

3. Proficiency in the various sets is a factor; you won't get consistent quality shots if that isn't reasonably high. Athletic and/or young teams will tend to do better with transition. They can't get quite the same quality of shots that you can get in as well-run set offense, but an inexperienced group might still do better this way as they could lack the requisite knowledge for such execution. This is one factor that encourages establishing a system and recruiting for it; you don't want to jump all over the map from year-to-year based on your talent.

4. Depends on the rest of the roster. I am admittedly not particularly good at this kind of thing and I tend to do better after a few years of establishing things, recruiting to a specific style, etc.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:39 AM   #86
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Recruiting at SEMO is a beotch. Although I just learned to click the dropbox to pitch the player.. whoops!
Old 03-20-2018, 08:53 AM   #87
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
1. Ability to get your shot off. So high-scoring, low-shooting would be a high-volume, low-efficiency player. Similarly low-scoring, high-shooting player would be someone who needs the table set, pure-shooter type. Essentially scoring determines who is going to shoot the most.

2. I would recommend a structured offense in this case.

3. Proficiency in the various sets is a factor; you won't get consistent quality shots if that isn't reasonably high. Athletic and/or young teams will tend to do better with transition. They can't get quite the same quality of shots that you can get in as well-run set offense, but an inexperienced group might still do better this way as they could lack the requisite knowledge for such execution. This is one factor that encourages establishing a system and recruiting for it; you don't want to jump all over the map from year-to-year based on your talent.

4. Depends on the rest of the roster. I am admittedly not particularly good at this kind of thing and I tend to do better after a few years of establishing things, recruiting to a specific style, etc.

Thanks. And re: structured offense, I’m trying to get a better feel for the next percentages. Is 75/25 too much, or within the realm of reasonableness.

Separetely, I noticed some of my players’ ratings decreased YoY. What causes that and is there anyway to stop it?
Old 03-20-2018, 09:08 AM   #88
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Quote:
Thanks. And re: structured offense, I’m trying to get a better feel for the next percentages. Is 75/25 too much, or within the realm of reasonableness.

Separetely, I noticed some of my players’ ratings decreased YoY. What causes that and is there anyway to stop it?

And I did hire a new recruiting coach—maybe that has something to do with it if his ratings affect scouting?
Old 03-20-2018, 12:37 PM   #89
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:

Brian gave some pretty good explanations - as for reasonableness this really is all about how you want to run a team. If you're at a big one and done type school it's hard to really get an offense down because players are always coming and going. If you're a small school where you know you will have guys for four years then it to your benefit to really find an offense that you like and recruit players who will fit well in that scheme. For example if you are running the Flex offense you want to have 4's and 5's that are at least decent passers and ball handlers since they will be out away from the basket as part of the offense whereas at a Kentucky or something you might grab the next #1 NBA pick and you pretty much just want to let him do his thing.

Player rating decreases are not necessarily decreases but more of reality setting in that the staff thought too highly of a guy. If its an epidemic you might want to change up the coaching staff if you can. Your assessment of players will also improve as your coach improves his own skill set over time.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:38 PM   #90
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Also wanted to say I appreciate the feedback in the thread here - working on a 1.3 update and it will include a suggest button for report buying and summer travel plans based on the suggestion for one in the thread here.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:44 PM   #91
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Can the ai auto select my offsense/defense?

I just want to recruit until I get a better team.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:52 PM   #92
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Quote:
Can the ai auto select my offsense/defense?

I just want to recruit until I get a better team.

Yes—I think there’s a choice for that in the options menu. (The gear looking thing in the top left of screen.)

And thanks Gary for the top-notch support.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:06 PM   #93
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

One suggestion (or let me know if I’m missing something): it seems like there is a limit to the number of players you can have on your call/watch list. If that’s correct, is there any way to track how many you’ve used? Relatedly, is there an easy way to remove all players from list once they’ve commited?
Old 03-20-2018, 02:20 PM   #94
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
One suggestion (or let me know if I’m missing something): it seems like there is a limit to the number of players you can have on your call/watch list. If that’s correct, is there any way to track how many you’ve used? Relatedly, is there an easy way to remove all players from list once they’ve commited?

Easiest way is to bring up your watch list, sort by the offered scholarship column, open up the player card and then just scroll through clicking the take off both lists box
Old 03-20-2018, 04:12 PM   #95
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes—I think there’s a choice for that in the options menu. (The gear looking thing in the top left of screen.)

And thanks Gary for the top-notch support.

Thank you I'll check that.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:32 AM   #96
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Quote:
Easiest way is to bring up your watch list, sort by the offered scholarship column, open up the player card and then just scroll through clicking the take off both lists box

I was looking for something slightly different--an easy way to remove players who committed to other schools from my lists.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:45 AM   #97
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
I was looking for something slightly different--an easy way to remove players who committed to other schools from my lists.

Oh I see - there's nothing right now for that (you can hide them from showing up in the list but not remove them). Let me see if I can think of a way to do that for the next update.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:00 AM   #98
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I don't get the phone calls and why interested players typically hang up on you? So you just keep calling them week after week?

I guess I need more recruiting help than what's in the guide lol.

I'm coaching SEMO maybe that's why?

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-21-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:46 AM   #99
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Are they hanging up immediately or after you talk about a couple of topics?
Old 03-21-2018, 12:26 PM   #100
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

One other UI suggestion: While some emails certainly are personalized, I see opportunities for a few more--e.g., highlight your team on the recruiting rankings list so you don't have to look for it, list your seed in email announcing you made tournament, send an email about individual awards you or anyone on your team wins, etc.