Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-25-2009, 02:26 PM   #51
rowech
Pro Starter

There is no doubt this game is much better. Anybody who can't see that is a moron. Perfect? Hardly. However, it'll still outsell The Show unless PS3 prices come down.

rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:37 PM   #52
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
You said that last year after I posted his negative impressions. We know how that worked out.

FWIW.....most seem to be saying it's an improvement over last year's version while still having some warts. I'm going to give it a try this afternoon on the PS3 just to see what they've worked on to improve this past year.

Yeah, but I still had to see for myself. With the demo, I'm really happy with what I'm seeing vs 2k7 - 2k8.

The game is really smooth and the controls are very responsive.

There's no doubt The Show will out score it.. they are several years into the development.. but the demo has given me hope that I will have 2k9 in my library for many months during the baseball season.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:39 PM   #53
Galaxy
Coordinator

A few things (on the 360):

How do you change the pitch you want?

How do you direct your throws to what player you want (say I want to throw from LF to 2nd)?

How do you bunt?

How do you steal?

I don't see any control manual (my first time playing baseball on the 360).

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-25-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:33 PM   #54
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

1. Hit LB to bring up the pitch menu and select by the gesture you perform.. I believe.. (not 100% on this one until I play the demo some more)

2. You can do this by the button you choose, to throw to 2nd base hit the Y button - OR you can use the right stick and push up to throw to 2nd base.. I prefer the latter.

3. Click the right stick (I believe)

4. I think it's the left trigger.. but visit Operation Sports and someone will know there.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:41 PM   #55
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
1. Hit LB to bring up the pitch menu and select by the gesture you perform.. I believe.. (not 100% on this one until I play the demo some more)

2. You can do this by the button you choose, to throw to 2nd base hit the Y button - OR you can use the right stick and push up to throw to 2nd base.. I prefer the latter.

3. Click the right stick (I believe)

4. I think it's the left trigger.. but visit Operation Sports and someone will know there.

1) I can get the menu, but I don't know how to change the selection.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:29 AM   #56
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

You don't really select a pitch. You just do the gesture (Right stick down then up is fastball, left then circle down to the right is slider, etc.)
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:30 AM   #57
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

dola

The pitch that is highlighted is just what your catcher is calling for, but you don't have to listen. He does call the game based on scouting reports which is pretty cool.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:31 AM   #58
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

double dola

I'm having a blast with the demo. I'll wait a few days for comments on the high difficulty levels, but it's already much, much better than 2k8.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:49 AM   #59
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yeah.. it goes by the gesture you perform Galaxy.. the highlighted pitch is just the one the catcher calls for according to his inside edge scouting report on the player at bat.

Last night a mod who has the game over at OS was posting some disturbing stuff about franchise mode... apparently top notch FA's are remaining unsigned after the season and will sit out all year due to teams in the negative.

I'll read up more on it today.. and I hope there is a fix.. I mean son of a b.. how do things like that slip by in testing?
Old 02-26-2009, 09:30 AM   #60
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Last night a mod who has the game over at OS was posting some disturbing stuff about franchise mode... apparently top notch FA's are remaining unsigned after the season and will sit out all year due to teams in the negative.

I'll read up more on it today.. and I hope there is a fix.. I mean son of a b.. how do things like that slip by in testing?

FYI.....Bill Abner and Todd Brakke will have a detailed write-up about this issue over at their blog when they get the OK from 2K9. They hinted at it in this post.......

The Nut and the Feisty Weasel: Todd Has MLB 2K9 Retail Code

Quote:
Todd Has MLB 2K9 Retail Code

I'm asking to see when we can talk about it. Todd has it. We're chatting about it. And we're both dying to tell you about the franchise mode and the stuff we (well, Todd) are seeing.

But we can't. At least not until I hear back from PR.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:13 AM   #61
TroyF
Coordinator

In the messages in the thread:

Craig

Quote:
OS is talking about it now. Apparently there are a ton of unsigned FAs each year - not only being left unsigned, but guys that should even be FAs (Tim Lincecum after year two, for example).

followed by Todd

Quote:
Unsigned FAs? You mean I shouldn't have seen Prince Fielder, Evan Langoria, Albert Pujols and a couple dozen other guys waste away on the free agent list season after season?

Doesn't look good if you were going for franchise mode play. . .
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:57 AM   #62
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Thankfully we're in the modern era where companies feel free to release a broken console game that can be patched later.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #63
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Here's a rundown of the franchise mode mess..........

The Nut and the Feisty Weasel: MLB 2k9 - Franchise Mode

Quote:
MLB 2k9 - Franchise Mode

As Bill noted, I got MLB 2k9 mailed out to me yesterday. This worked out well since I was home to oversee the floor repair and I was able to spend the afternoon letting the game sim out a few seasons while getting a little work done. (I have NOT played a single game on the field as of yet.) There's some good and bad here, but the short version is that if you want to play multi-season franchise mode the game is absolutely 100% borked. Broken doesn't begin to describe it and after reading about the 2k Conference Call and their claims of making franchise mode a major focus, that's just flat out unacceptable.

So before I get to that, I'll point out what I like. First and foremost, the stat engine from simmed seasons is fantastic and it appears to hold up as time goes on. League leaders in major pitching and hitting categories is very consistent with actual 2008 data. You don't have whole teams hitting .300+, doubles and triples numbers are right on line, you will see only a couple of 20 game winners (if that). I did see one season where there were two 20 game losers, which is very unusual, but not so much that it should bother anyone. I didn't look at numbers below the top 20 players in any given category, but I'm satisfied with what I'm seeing.

I also like that they stick player drafts in the off-season between re-signing your own players and signing free agents. I don't recall how drafts were handled last year, but this year players are not just rated on their base attributes, but you also get a rating for how soon before your target is likely to be major league ready and you can also pull up a list that compares their ratings to nominal major league players at the same position.

Trades... trades are a mixed bag. I don't think they're horrible, and the AI does not appear to kill season play by overtrading highly rated players. In fact it looks like trades of upper echelon players are very rare. That said, for the trades the game does make, it looks to me like the game mostly looks at overall ratings and not much else. Age might be factored in, but I'm not sure positional need is considered strongly enough, nor does it look like the game values its starting pitching as strongly as it should. I'm positive that the game does not give much consideration to salary, unless you think the Rays would trade the Tigers two young, talented players making $5M combined for Magglio Ordonez and Gary Sheffield making a combined $23M (approx.).

Beyond this, the game goes right off the rails. Worst among the issues are the fact that free agency is flat out broken. It looks like teams lack the budgetary savvy to sign big time players. That or big time players don't properly adjust their contract demands to league realities. Either way, upper tier free agents frequently and consistently go unsigned and if they don't get signed during FA it does not appear that they'll ever get signed after that. This has a cascading effect over multiple seasons. After one season you might see 3-5 premier players go unsigned. After two seasons that number will double. And double. And double. By the end of season 5 the list of absolutely lights-out free agents that languish on the golf course instead of suiting up to play is just ridiculous. This, alone, is enough to kill the franchise mode for any season beyond 2009.

Teams are also incapable of managing their 25-man roster. I looked through a quick roster report of most teams at various points. You'll routinely see teams maintain just a 10-man pitching staff, and a few will go with only four starters (at least officially; maybe they're using a MR for a fifth starter?). You'll see a lot of teams carrying a ridiculous number of catchers, three, four, in one case I saw the Yankees carrying *5* catchers. Seriously, what is that about? Did each starting pitcher need his own guy behind the plate? So, in addition to teams often not carrying enough pitchers, you'll see situations where a team may only have three or four outfielders or too few infielders, etc. It's crazy.

Finally, I'm pretty sure player development is also crudded up, but I'm not sure how much it really matters in the game. Let me a 'splain. No. There is too much. Let me sum up. (Like I'm capable of that. I just wanted to use that Princess Bride line.) In the 2009 season it appears (I didn't go over rosters with a fine tooth comb, so I reserve the right to be wrong) that the elite players in the game are in the 85 - 92 range. There are plenty of teams with no 90-rated players at all. Over time those ratings just keep going up (they can go down, but that is evidently not the overall trend). By the end of season 5, there were several 99-rated players and most teams had 90+ rated players for their entire top five.

What's odd is that this doesn't appear to affect stats. It's like the game has players perform on a curve so that the top whatever percent perform to a certain standard. I'm not sure this is how it should be, since you could argue this makes it so player development doesn't really matter. But it does at least keep the stat engine from breaking down, which I think is probably more important.

So... yeah, uh. MLB 2k9 may be a fantastic game on the field. I have no idea yet. As a 2009 season sim, it should also be -at the very least- servicable. But if you like to actually play a franchise, draft players, sign free agents, etc. It's broken. Save your money or pray for a patch. Or, you know. if you have or plan to get a PS3, put your money down on MLB: The Show. If it has anything close to the franchise issues in 2k9 I would be absolutely floored.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:46 PM   #64
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
dola

The pitch that is highlighted is just what your catcher is calling for, but you don't have to listen. He does call the game based on scouting reports which is pretty cool.

Amazing. Thanks for the info. I feel like a moron, but have never played this series on the 360.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:18 PM   #65
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

This sucks.

It's fucking unbelievable that a game could get released like this after 2K people posted about how much better franchise mode is.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:21 PM   #66
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

from pastapadre

Update:
Apparently there is a patch ready to go on release day to address the issue. While that doesn’t help consumers who don’t have their console connected online at least it will provide the fix for everyone else.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #67
Galaxy
Coordinator

I wish you can take the patches and upload them on a memory card, then be able to upload it another 360 if they don't have it hooked up online.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:11 PM   #68
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
from pastapadre

Update:
Apparently there is a patch ready to go on release day to address the issue. While that doesn’t help consumers who don’t have their console connected online at least it will provide the fix for everyone else.

The problem is that major release issues being found by the consumer is a reoccurring problem with this franchise at this point. If they can miss this glaring issue, what else did they miss?

It should be noted that this is just as much a criticism of the general quality of most console games as it is this specific game. It's embarrassing.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:34 PM   #69
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
from pastapadre

Update:

Great news.. but it fcking kills me.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:34 PM   #70
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The problem is that major release issues being found by the consumer is a reoccurring problem with this franchise at this point. If they can miss this glaring issue, what else did they miss?

It should be noted that this is just as much a criticism of the general quality of most console games as it is this specific game. It's embarrassing.

I can agree with this post. 5 fcking mins after loading the game, this major f up is found. I mean, do they really test games anymore?
Old 02-26-2009, 10:59 PM   #71
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Great news.. but it fcking kills me.

Same. And of course the guy from 2K makes a post on OS like everything is all fine and dandy.

Quote:
The franchise issue is already fixed for a patch that is releasing on launch day. You can go back to your regularly scheduled worrying.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:04 PM   #72
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Same. And of course the guy from 2K makes a post on OS like everything is all fine and dandy.

I hate the interaction with the developers anymore, its nothing more than a fog and mirrors tactic to get people to buy their games. People act like these guys word is the gospel and they would never stretch the truth. It makes a lot of the forums over there unbearable.

Outside of the Sony MLB guys I don't really see games improving greatly. Maybe the 2k basketball guys...

Last edited by Balldog : 02-26-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:36 PM   #73
AgustusM
College Prospect

stuff like this combined with the economy is why I tend not to buy console games until I can rent or gamefly them.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:50 PM   #74
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
Outside of the Sony MLB guys I don't really see games improving greatly. Maybe the 2k basketball guys...

If you're talking about sports games then I mostly agree, if you mean games in general then I disagree.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:54 PM   #75
AgustusM
College Prospect

never mind

Last edited by AgustusM : 02-26-2009 at 11:54 PM.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:52 AM   #76
billethius
Mascot

After playing around with the demo, I've actually been pleasantly surprised by the game. After the last two years, I gave it no chance and had absolutely no intention of buying it. Now, though, I just may pick it up. The free agency bug isn't a big deal to me since I can't remember the last time I played more than a single season in a baseball game other than OOTP.

I'll give it a few days to see what other bugs show up before buying it, but as of now it looks like I'll actually be purchasing it.
billethius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:41 AM   #77
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
I hate the interaction with the developers anymore, its nothing more than a fog and mirrors tactic to get people to buy their games. People act like these guys word is the gospel and they would never stretch the truth. It makes a lot of the forums over there unbearable.

As is usual, the guy will also vanish come release day and we won't hear back from him until next January when hype time starts again.

The patch will only fix SOME of the issues and everybody will be pissed.

Reviews will be glowing, assuming that all the issues they are seeing will be fixed, even if they never do get fixed.

And I am officially waiting a week before I get the game this year. Don't want to make a mistake like I did buying the game last year.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:41 AM   #78
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
If you're talking about sports games then I mostly agree, if you mean games in general then I disagree.

I'm referring specifically to developers being present on the OS boards, so yes just sports games.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:26 AM   #79
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

It just blows my mind that it took the mod from os with the game, literally 5 mins to find that franchise issue.

I don't play more than one season with baseball most of the time, but 2k was really touting their "redesigned" franchise mode so I though this year I might sim some games to get through a year or two.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:49 PM   #80
SegRat
High School Varsity

I was going to get this game, but then because of the franchise problems I wasnt. Tonight a played the demo a few times and had a lot of fun, so I think I am going to pick it up after all.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:05 AM   #81
RainMaker
General Manager

I just don't get why companies have such issues with testing. I can guarantee you that they could easily find 5-10 diehard players of the game to test early copies for this kind of stuff. I doubt they'd even need to be paid. Just make them sign an NDA and you iron out most of these problems.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:31 AM   #82
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Confirmed over at OS by a 2k developer that a day 1 patch will be released to fix the franchise issue... I guess we'll see.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #83
JT2008
n00b

I'm currently still playing High Heat Baseball using Manager mode along with one pitch mode. I'm interested in buying 2K9 for the PC when it comes out. From what I understand the PC version will be a port of the XBOX 360 version like 2K9 Basketball is. My question is, is there manager mode in the 360 Demo with an option for one pitch?

JT
JT2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #84
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT2008 View Post
I'm currently still playing High Heat Baseball using Manager mode along with one pitch mode. I'm interested in buying 2K9 for the PC when it comes out. From what I understand the PC version will be a port of the XBOX 360 version like 2K9 Basketball is. My question is, is there manager mode in the 360 Demo with an option for one pitch?

JT

No.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:31 PM   #85
JT2008
n00b

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be keeping my money in my pocket as I don't have a console. I've heard good things about MVP 2005. Perhaps that's the way to go and let the modders do their thing.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:49 PM   #86
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

That doesn't mean it's not in the PC version.. the 360 demo is VERY limited.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:30 AM   #87
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Some more feedback on the game. Sounds like Todd Brakke is having some lockup problems with the game in various circumstances. Below is one of those instances. He's had to play the same game 10 or 11 times to complete it.

The Nut and the Feisty Weasel: Lockup Scenario #4

Better news on the online front, as the game does a decent job of avoiding any major lag.

The Nut and the Feisty Weasel: 2k9 Online Play
Old 03-02-2009, 02:42 PM   #88
rowech
Pro Starter

MBBF, I don't have too big of a dog in this fight but it is funny to read in this thread your postings and negativity while in the PS3 thread, the problems that they expose in this game are quickly deflected by you with a, "it'll be in the patch"

I have no doubt The Show is better as I have a feeling do most people but it cracks me up the way you jab, dodge, jab, dodge, jab, etc.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #89
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
MBBF, I don't have too big of a dog in this fight but it is funny to read in this thread your postings and negativity while in the PS3 thread, the problems that they expose in this game are quickly deflected by you with a, "it'll be in the patch"

I have no doubt The Show is better as I have a feeling do most people but it cracks me up the way you jab, dodge, jab, dodge, jab, etc.

The funny thing to me is.. why does he even give a rats ass about MLB 2k9? I seriously think the guy works for Sony.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #90
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Patch information.........

The Nut and the Feisty Weasel: MLB 2k9 Patch Notes
Old 03-03-2009, 08:14 AM   #91
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

The 2K baseball franchise just doesn't have what it takes anymore. I'm not sure what year of the 3 year plan we're on now, but it's not getting any better.

It pains me to say it, but the quasi-exclusive contract with MLB needs to go away so EA can start producing a baseball game again. It would be best for baseball gamers to have EA and SCEA going head to head once again. It's not a good situation when you have 360 gamers praying for 2K to turn their baseball franchise around.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:33 AM   #92
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
The 2K baseball franchise just doesn't have what it takes anymore. I'm not sure what year of the 3 year plan we're on now, but it's not getting any better.

It pains me to say it, but the quasi-exclusive contract with MLB needs to go away so EA can start producing a baseball game again. It would be best for baseball gamers to have EA and SCEA going head to head once again. It's not a good situation when you have 360 gamers praying for 2K to turn their baseball franchise around.

1) That implies the 2K team ever had it with baseball. They didn't.
2) This is year 2 of the three year plan.
3) It looks like they fixed the FA problem.
4) It doesn't pain me to say ANY exclusive contract for ANY sport needs to go away. I want 2K to make football games again. I want EA to make baseball games. Let anyone and everyone who pays the licensing fee make the game and let the best man win. 2K's basketball and hockey franchises forced EA to improve its games. (to the point where EA hockey is better) The Show is forcing 2K to up its game. (it's improving slowly, but it is improving)
5) What the hell do you care about 360 gamers? I mean, you are the guy who said the 360 was a turd with a plastic shell and the PS3 was going to cure cancer and revolutionize gaming. You are in here shredding a game you won't buy, won't play, and don't care about. Your chances of buying 2K baseball, even if it were a good game, are somewhere south of 0%.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:45 AM   #93
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
5) What the hell do you care about 360 gamers? I mean, you are the guy who said the 360 was a turd with a plastic shell and the PS3 was going to cure cancer and revolutionize gaming.

This is obviously a vast overgeneralization and doesn't mirror reality in any way. I have repeatedly said that if a gamer is looking for a console and has no interest in Blu-ray use, they're better off buying a 360 at the cheaper price point.

The game is on the PS3 as well. I only mentioned the 360 gamers as they obviously don't have a choice as far as baseball goes.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #94
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

saw this in the store at lunch. almost bit the bullet so i could writeup first impressions, but held off for today
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:34 PM   #95
JT2008
n00b

PC Demo is now up for those interested. I haven't given it a test drive yet. http://www.fileplanet.com/197021/190...eball-2K9-Demo
Old 03-03-2009, 10:33 PM   #96
SegRat
High School Varsity

I have played a couple of the play it now games and haveing a lot of fun. I havent done anything with slidders as I am just getting the hang of it. So far I really like the game.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:49 AM   #97
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Me too SegRat.. one game tonight, I'm exhausted.. but it was absolutely 100% better than 2k8 and 80% better than 2k7.

Beat the Royals 7-2 behind Wainright. Game is much improved... perfect? No, but so far fun..
Old 03-04-2009, 12:44 PM   #98
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Pretty comprehensive review just put up over at Gameshark......

GameShark | Reviews | Major League Baseball 2K9 Review
Old 03-04-2009, 03:10 PM   #99
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

DLed the pc demo but didn't get to touch it last night
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #100
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Pretty comprehensive review just put up over at Gameshark......

GameShark | Reviews | Major League Baseball 2K9 Review

A fair review for sure.

Sounds like both developers are going to support their products and that's great news.. EA has been great with NCAA and NHL this year, so maybe sports gaming will finally get better.

(I know the SCEA team has really been great supporting The Show in the past as well)