Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #51
MrBug708
Head Coach

Michigan had success with their junior day, but that doesnt mean MSU needs to as well.

MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #52
mckerney
Coordinator

MSU picked up a junior day commit from RB R.J. Shelton out of Wisconsin. Also had offers from Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #53
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Horns had their second Junior Day last weekend, and have picked up a verbal from the #2 OL in the nation, Kent Perkins. They are up to 10 verbals for 2013, which is half of the slots they have for the coming year.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #54
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Notre Dame Fighting Irish football recruit Davonte Neal withdraws from high school - ESPN
Old 02-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #55
BishopMVP
Coordinator

He got recruited there to play football, why not transfer back to spend his last semester closer to home with friends? (Mostly tongue in cheek - I've posted here before saying we'll see how long he lasts @ Notre Dame, and if getting away from his dad can help him straighten out.)

On a different note, I'm curious if those who follow football recruiting are seeing an increase in earlier recruiting, or if it's just more publicized? The reason I ask is that in lacrosse now Sophomore commitments are exploding (which means they're being scouted on the club circuit summer/fall after 9th grade), basically after 1 coach (Breschi @ UNC) started offering them 2 years ago, cleaned up, and forced everyone but the Ivies to jump on board. Football is even more reliant on physical development, so maybe they will hold the line, but it seems like Junior Day is becoming even bigger and I wonder if any school will try to jump the gun soon and start offering sophomores. (I know that there is the occasional outlier like Lane Kiffin offering that 8th grade QB, but I mean seriously jump in and try to get half or more of their class.) Any of the bigger recruitniks seeing this?

Last edited by BishopMVP : 02-27-2012 at 11:35 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #56
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
He got recruited there to play football, why not transfer back to spend his last semester closer to home with friends? (Mostly tongue in cheek - I've posted here before saying we'll see how long he lasts @ Notre Dame, and if getting away from his dad can help him straighten out.)

On a different note, I'm curious if those who follow football recruiting are seeing an increase in earlier recruiting, or if it's just more publicized? The reason I ask is that in lacrosse now Sophomore commitments are exploding (which means they're being scouted on the club circuit summer/fall after 9th grade), basically after 1 coach (Breschi @ UNC) started offering them 2 years ago, cleaned up, and forced everyone but the Ivies to jump on board. Football is even more reliant on physical development, so maybe they will hold the line, but it seems like Junior Day is becoming even bigger and I wonder if any school will try to jump the gun soon and start offering sophomores. (I know that there is the occasional outlier like Lane Kiffin offering that 8th grade QB, but I mean seriously jump in and try to get half or more of their class.) Any of the bigger recruitniks seeing this?

I do know Bronco @ BYU was targeting Sophs for the past few years but with him bringing in DuPaix as the recruiting coordinator, the plan changed and they came out and said there would be less in the early offering stage from now on.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #57
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Mizzou gets a commit from four-star athlete Chase Abbington. Really nice early pick up for Mizzou. Cited move to the SEC and proximity to home as his primary reasons for commitment.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #58
Cuckoo
College Starter

Slow recruiting start for the Sooners, likely due to the last second scrambling to get guys in the 2012 class. But after this weekend's junior day, OU adds its first commitment of 2013, Houston RB Keith Ford, ranked as the top back in Texas and, by some, as the top overall player in Texas.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #59
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Texas continues to load up on the offensive line, getting a verbal from the #1 ranked center in the country, Darius James. That puts Texas up to 12 verbals. Of those 12, seven are in the top 11 ranked recruits for the state.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #60
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Texas continues to load up on the offensive line, getting a verbal from the #1 ranked center in the country, Darius James. That puts Texas up to 12 verbals. Of those 12, seven are in the top 11 ranked recruits for the state.

Only 12? Amateurs.
DeToxRox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #61
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Michigan gets #14 in Ohio 4* LB Michael McCray. He is kind of overrated because he's so raw but he has nice potential.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #62
cartman
Death Herald

Texas gets a verbal from the top TE in the state, Durham Smythe out of Belton. He was slated to take a visit to Stanford, but cancelled it. Michigan was another school he had an offer from.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #63
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Washington is still looking for their first commit for 2013. What's interesting so far is seeing how wide of a net the staff is casting - with Justin Wilcox, Peter Sirmon and Tosh Lupoi on staff now, we're seeing far more offers to kids outside of Washington's usual recruiting areas (Pac-12 states + Hawai'i). Part of that is from relationships Wilcox & Sirmon already had with kids from their time on Tennessee's staff as well as the more national reach Lupoi had with Cal.

Be interesting to see if they can pull 2 or 3 of these kids - probably need to get some of them out west for Spring Practices on an unofficial.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #64
Brownkeg8
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Michigan gets #14 in Ohio 4* LB Michael McCray. He is kind of overrated because he's so raw but he has nice potential.

most likely going to end up growing into a DE.
Brownkeg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #65
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Michigan adds #15 with the commitment of DB Gaeron Conley out of Ohio. He's a 4* on Scout, 3* on 247 and likely a 3* on Rivals for now. Hasn't done any camps but most agree hes the 2nd best DB in Ohio. He's 6'1, 170 right now so he had intriguing size for the position.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #66
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownkeg8 View Post
most likely going to end up growing into a DE.

Which Michigan is lacking in with this group so it might be a bigger gain for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Michigan adds #15 with the commitment of DB Gaeron Conley out of Ohio. He's a 4* on Scout, 3* on 247 and likely a 3* on Rivals for now. Hasn't done any camps but most agree hes the 2nd best DB in Ohio. He's 6'1, 170 right now so he had intriguing size for the position.

This may kill them getting Countess's buddy they were looking at but he's like 5'10" so having two smaller DBs might have been an issue. As talented as Mathieu is, it was interesting to see 'Bama throw his way with taller WRs and have success. You need some size at CB.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #67
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Which Michigan is lacking in with this group so it might be a bigger gain for them.

This may kill them getting Countess's buddy they were looking at but he's like 5'10" so having two smaller DBs might have been an issue. As talented as Mathieu is, it was interesting to see 'Bama throw his way with taller WRs and have success. You need some size at CB.

They'll still take one more DB but Fuller seems like he is going to VT with the rest of his brothers. You never know though.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #68
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA lands 4* OT, Eric Bunte
Old 03-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #69
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

#16 for Michigan, RB Deveon Smith.

EDIT: Rival had a 4* rating, but when you look at Michigan's list there isn't any rating.

Last edited by Matthean : 03-17-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #70
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA lands the #16 OLB in the nation, Deon Hollins, from Texas. He's a four star kid who had offers from ND, Oklahoma, OK State, OSU among others. It's nice to be part of this thread after a year off.

Not done taking visits though either

Last edited by MrBug708 : 03-21-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #71
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
UCLA lands the #16 OLB in the nation, Deon Hollins, from Texas. He's a four star kid who had offers from ND, Oklahoma, OK State, OSU among others. It's nice to be part of this thread after a year off.

Not done taking visits though either

Yeah, this time of year, as much as I love to see my Bruins get some nice commitments, I really put very little value on verbals. There is just so much left to go, so much can happen.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #72
MrBug708
Head Coach

USC is poised to land Browne, Hutchings, Justin Davis, Mathis Goodwin, Willis, Baugh, and Redfield.

Gonna be a great class for USC
Old 04-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #73
bhlloy
Coordinator

Far too early to be getting too excited, but it certainly looks good for Browne and Goodwin, on top of Hutchins who committed last week. Whether we hold on to any of them, who knows.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:42 AM   #74
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
USC is poised to land Browne, Hutchings, Justin Davis, Mathis Goodwin, Willis, Baugh, and Redfield.

Gonna be a great class for USC

Just got back from a cruise yesterday, and was excited to hear Browne made it official. Su'a Cravens is reportedly already recruiting for USC as well... should be a great class unless something unexpected happens.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #75
tarcone
Coordinator

6'5" 250 lb DE David Kenny out of Indianapolis is Iowas first commit.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:48 PM   #76
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Michigan picks up #17 with Ohio 4* LB Ben Gedeon.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #77
Cuckoo
College Starter

Big commit for Oklahoma today. Rivals top 100 and possible 5-star DE D.J. Ward made it official at the spring game. Recruiting folks were optimistic, since he's an in-state kid, but he had a ton of offers and there was talk he might be one of those wait until the last minute guys. Extremely happy he decided not to wait.

This comes about a week or so after OU picked up a commit from Florida RB Greg Bryant, their 2nd ESPN 150 RB of the class (Keith Ford out of Texas the other).
Old 04-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #78
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Word is USC got two commits this weekend at their spring game including four star DE Kylie Fitts who is the seventh ranked DE in the nation.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #79
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Missouri's move to the SEC is helping them shut the borders on in-state kids. So far 8 of the top 12 kids in Missouri in 2013 have committed, including 4-star LB Nick Ramirez and athlete Chase Abbington. Discounting DBG, the 2013 class is already outpacing the 2012 class.

Only one top 12 in-state player has committed out of state -- 4-star RB Ezekiel Elliott to Ohio State. But I don't think Mizzou has given up on him yet.

There were a trio of Georgia kids in for the spring game today, including QB Eddie Printz who has given a verbal to UCLA but is still looking at other schools.

Amazing the impact the SEC move has had on recruiting. Last year's class was slow to develop and was also ensured as a strong class by landing DGB. Doesn't look like that will be a problem this time around.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #80
hoopsguy
General Manager

Illinois got their first big signing under Coach Beckman - 4* QB Aaron Bailey.

This is supposed to be the best collection of in-state talent in at least a decade, but a bunch have already declared for Michigan, Notre Dame, Iowa ... pretty much anywhere but Illinois. I'm not delusional enough to think that Illinois should get all of the best in-state players, but it sure makes recruiting easier when you have a shot at guys in your back yard.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #81
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Illinois got their first big signing under Coach Beckman - 4* QB Aaron Bailey.

This is supposed to be the best collection of in-state talent in at least a decade, but a bunch have already declared for Michigan, Notre Dame, Iowa ... pretty much anywhere but Illinois. I'm not delusional enough to think that Illinois should get all of the best in-state players, but it sure makes recruiting easier when you have a shot at guys in your back yard.

Might take a year of being decent to start to win them back over. Schools like Michigan and ND are going to be easy sells right now.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #82
hoopsguy
General Manager

Might take a few years of being decent to win them back over. Just frustrating to give up a 6-0 start last year when the first good in-state class, on a national level, is waiting in the wings.

I actually think it is for the best, in the long term, to have that collapse and remove Zook from the head coaching seat. He left the program in a better place than he found it, but it was hard to watch his game day management and the team's preparation week to week. I know there is a danger in thinking the grass is always greener, but it would be really difficult to be worse in those areas than they were with Zook.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #83
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
There were a trio of Georgia kids in for the spring game today, including QB Eddie Printz who has given a verbal to UCLA but is still looking at other schools.

That's actually rather interesting. While it is certainly known to UCLA that Printz is still visiting other schools, the two sides had apparently agreed to commit fully to one another after his Auburn visits, with UCLA stating they will not pursue any other QBs in the 2013 class, and presumeably, Printz not wavering in his commitment.

I don't know if continued visits were or were not discussed in this, but I would guess they had to be, since to my knowledge, the impetus behind the handshake agreement was the Auburn visits.

As such, I wonder if maybe we will see UCLA get back involved with more western signall callers. Game of chicken, anyone?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #84
MrBug708
Head Coach

I would love us to chase Bateman from Utah
Old 04-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #85
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I would love us to chase Bateman from Utah
Get in line

Sounds like he's pretty infatuated with some SEC schools right now, but he did just visit the UW and his parents apparently love the area.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #86
tarcone
Coordinator

I was disappointed we missed out on Bailey. Good get for Illinois.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #87
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

USC recruiting momentum is building. Today, they got a commitment from 4 star WR Elridge Massington out of Texas. He is a 4 star WR with size (6'3") and speed who had a bunch of offers.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #88
bhlloy
Coordinator

That one came out of nowhere. I'm always pretty skeptical OOS kids who commit without visiting will stick but he looks like he has potential off the charts.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #89
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

He grew up a huge Reggie Bush fan and said to a friend (rivals reporter) If USC offered it would be hard not to commit on the spot, "but I can't go ike that. Id have to make them sweat it a day or so"
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #90
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

OSU commit decommits after photos of him and a sex offender surface even though the sex offender and him have no real ties.

Ohio State recruit decommits after convicted sex offender posted photo on the Internet of himself and junior linebacker - ESPN
Old 05-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #91
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
OSU commit decommits after photos of him and a sex offender surface even though the sex offender and him have no real ties.

Ohio State recruit decommits after convicted sex offender posted photo on the Internet of himself and junior linebacker - ESPN

Just read this. Someone needs to tell him and his Daddy about the real world that exists outside their small town PA bubble.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #92
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
That one came out of nowhere. I'm always pretty skeptical OOS kids who commit without visiting will stick but he looks like he has potential off the charts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
He grew up a huge Reggie Bush fan and said to a friend (rivals reporter) If USC offered it would be hard not to commit on the spot, "but I can't go ike that. Id have to make them sweat it a day or so"

What CU Tiger said. This kid has wanted to be a Trojan for many years - I'm not worried about him sticking. He is raw in running his routes and his hands could be better, but his size and speed make him very intriguing and he has good hip movement from watching his tape.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #93
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

You know, this thread seems rather relevant.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #94
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Nick pickup for Mizzou this Morning. Jake Campos (4 star, OT from West Des Moines, IA) committed to Mizzou. Starting to really get some great depth at the offensive line positions.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #95
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Ty Isaac a four star RB with speed from Illinois verbally committed to USC today.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #96
bhlloy
Coordinator

Another one I won't get too excited about until the ink dries as I think the parents would still rather he ends up at UM or ND because of distance

However it seems like the sanctions might really have helped in a perverse way for the future. It's like a reset button where the depth chart is wide open in most positions. This class has the potential to be better than any of the Pete Carroll classes
Old 05-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #97
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Another one I won't get too excited about until the ink dries as I think the parents would still rather he ends up at UM or ND because of distance

However it seems like the sanctions might really have helped in a perverse way for the future. It's like a reset button where the depth chart is wide open in most positions. This class has the potential to be better than any of the Pete Carroll classes

Mom came out to USC last week and loved the city, so I am not worried. Love his combination of size, speed, and agility. Agreed with your 2nd paragraph.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #98
bhlloy
Coordinator

Justin Davis also committed to USC, two of the top three backs in the country in the same week. Both will get some serious playing time as true freshmen, as there just isn't anyone else
Old 05-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #99
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Justin Davis also committed to USC, two of the top three backs in the country in the same week. Both will get some serious playing time as true freshmen, as there just isn't anyone else

Yes. Great kid, great pick up. Added bonus is that he is on pace to be an early enrollee and not count towards the 15 scholarships.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #100
MrBug708
Head Coach

Is any kid who goes to USC not considered a great kid?