Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #51
RainMaker
General Manager

Oh NCAA, you make me laugh.

Football Fanatics: NCAA & NFL Shop, College, University,Sports Apparel, Sports Gifts, Fan Gear, Store

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:10 PM   #52
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Yeah, same old hypocracy. But that really doesn't matter. This is really all on A.J. There is no way he didn't know this was a violation. The rule against selling memorabilia stems from Bulldogs selling their bowl rings a few years back. He thought he could get away with something, and once he didn't say "my bad" and everything will be ok. That just doesn't work.

I think NCAA rules are stupid, but purposely violating them is not going to change them. I almost wish the university would suspend him another 2 games for being dumb.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #53
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
"I think the environment that we're going to play in Cedar Falls is going to be much more of a hostile environment than Memorial Stadium in Kansas. That was pretty docile," North Dakota State coach Craig Bohl said. "And the type of team that we're going to be playing is going to be a much more physical, aggressive football team than KU. And quite frankly I think we're going to be playing a better opponent."

-North Dakota State head coach Craig Bohl

Ouch.

http://1500espn.com/news/s46987

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-08-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #54
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I think NCAA rules are stupid, but purposely violating them is not going to change them. I almost wish the university would suspend him another 2 games for being dumb.

I thought UGA prided itself in its remedial studies programs for athletes.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #55
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
So lemme get this straight:
1) GT can run but has completed 4/17 passes for 24 yds and 2 INT's in their last eight quarters (going back to last season)

2) GT doesn't appear to be able to stop anyone, not even SC State, from running the ball effectively against them. Over 5 ypc over the past four games, and despite a new coordinator, the problems don't seem to have changed.

3) Kansas can't run but now thinks they need to throw, even though GT doesn't appear capable of stopping a decent HS team from running the ball.

Damn, I think you're right, this might be too ugly to watch. It has cluster fuck written all over it, although damned if I know whether the final score will be 52-49 or 6-3.

I would be mind-numbingly happy at this point if Kansas were to stay within three points of Georgia Tech (52-49 or 6-3). I don't see it happening unless all of a sudden the offensive line and coaching staff finally figure things out.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #56
MrBug708
Head Coach

I heard they were all up and getting something to drink
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #57
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I'm not surprised and I definitely won't argue it. Kansas football fans aren't anywhere near as rabid as the basketball fans. And Turner Gill definitely didn't give those fans much to cheer about this past Saturday.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #58
Swaggs
Coordinator

Wonder where A.J. Green came up with $1K to repay the charity?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #59
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

re: AJ Green -- As long as you want to maintain a separation between players & agents, a rule like this one seems like a necessity. Remember, the penalty is specifically related to the fact that the jersey was sold "to an unnamed individual who met the definition of an agent as defined by the NCAA. By NCAA definition, an agent is any individual who markets or promotes a student-athlete"

Also worth noting here, "In addition to the current suspension, Green has also been linked to agent scandal that is sweeping college football — one that has affected players at the universities of Alabama, North Carolina and South Carolina. There is still no ruling passed down from the NCAA as to Green’s involvement in the matter."

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-08-2010 at 07:52 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:04 PM   #60
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

They should have been starting a fight with the basketball team. That's the only chance they have of beating anyone this year.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:14 AM   #61
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

I do not know how I missed this gem earlier when responding. Very nice Bug.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:15 AM   #62
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
They should have been starting a fight with the basketball team. That's the only chance they have of beating anyone this year.

Kansas players could always pull a Derrick Washington and give some unsuspecting tutor the Stinky Pinkel. Then MBBF could come on here and claim she was asking for it.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:15 AM   #63
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
Kansas players could always pull a Derrick Washington and give some unsuspecting tutor the Stinky Pinkel. Then MBBF could come on here and claim she was asking for it.

You stay classy.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #64
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
You stay classy.

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan
I'm not about to try to defend anyone if something criminal did happen, but this is more than a bit iffy given what's come out. No charges after nearly three months and the accuser has missed court dates on more than one occasion. You would think the accuser would be a bit more motivated to make sure things are rectified if something really happened.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #65
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

I'm not about to try to defend anyone if something criminal did happen, but this is more than a bit iffy given what's come out. No charges after nearly three months and the accuser has missed court dates on more than one occasion. You would think the accuser would be a bit more motivated to make sure things are rectified if something really happened.

Exactly. Something criminal apparantly did happen and he's no longer a part of the program and I'm not about to defend him. You're really reaching, but I can certainly understand your interest in not talking about football in this thread. October 15th can't come soon enough.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #66
tarcone
Coordinator

Poor Turner Gill.

On a side note. The starting QB for Kansas this week played HS ball about 20 minutes from where I live. And his HS is in our conference. He was a spread QB in HS.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #67
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Exactly. Something criminal apparantly did happen and he's no longer a part of the program and I'm not about to defend him. You're really reaching, but I can certainly understand your interest in not talking about football in this thread. October 15th can't come soon enough.

Didn't you start this by taking a shot at Kansas? So am I reaching or are you?

Quote:

And I think I've shown that I'm most certainly capable of talking about football in this thread even after a loss. Unlike a certain Tiger fan, I won't make excuses when my team or fans just flat out aren't very good.

Glad to see you're not defending Washington after he was charged. Before he was charged though...well I think we know what you tried to do. Nice try though.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #68
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Poor Turner Gill.

On a side note. The starting QB for Kansas this week played HS ball about 20 minutes from where I live. And his HS is in our conference. He was a spread QB in HS.

I wouldn't feel sorry for Turner Gill. He's scaring me right now with his back and forth decisions regarding the team and offense. I still believe Gill has a great future as a head coach in a BCS conference, but I'm afraid he's going to take some serious lumps learning the business.

Now you should feel sorry for QB Jordan Webb. I have a feeling he's going to be running for his life this Saturday against Georgia Tech. The Kansas offensive line is just not very good right now. Webb would have been perfect in Mangino's spread offense. I'm not so certain he fits the Turner Gill offense though. But he's definitely got an arm and he can make things happen if he gets time.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #69
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Poor Turner Gill.

Minor correction: He was a Texas Tech Spread quarterback in HS. Kid threw it a ton. I've got one of his HS games on DVD around here somewhere. Their offense mirrored Texas Tech...their running game was their screen game. They didn't do any zone read type stuff at all.

Last edited by Poli : 09-09-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:32 PM   #70
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Minor correction: He was a Texas Tech Spread quarterback in HS. Kid threw it a ton. I've got one of his HS games on DVD around here somewhere. Their offense mirrored Texas Tech...their running game was their screen game. They didn't do any zone read type stuff at all.

Correct. They threw the ball all over the place.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:28 PM   #71
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Long story short,the AJ Green jersey was bought by a former UNC player, Chris Hawkins, who is apparently part of the investigation in Chapel Hill. According to an espn.com report "a source said Hawkins contacted several sports agents about their interest in representing North Carolina players in the NFL draft."

Report: Former UNC player, considered agent by NCAA, bought Green’s jersey | UGA sports blog
Old 09-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #72
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Unlike a certain Tiger fan, I won't make excuses when my team or fans just flat out aren't very good.

Can't disagree. It's certainly a blessing for Tiger fans to have programs we can be proud of in both major sports. Excuses aren't needed in Columbia.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #73
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Wow, 96 yard TD pass for Marshall.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #74
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

My 1st bet of the seson is not looking to good... WV looks very stale

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:09 PM   #75
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Wow, give up a 96 yard TD pass then on the next possession take 2 personal fouls, and counting.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #76
Swaggs
Coordinator

I am not enjoying this, at all.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #77
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Can't disagree. It's certainly a blessing for Tiger fans to have programs we can be proud of in both major sports. Excuses aren't needed in Columbia.

Illusory superiority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #78
tarcone
Coordinator

WE ARE

MARSHALL
Old 09-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #79
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

oh wow...
Old 09-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #80
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

I clicked on it. Just kept ending up at Orangebloods.com.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #81
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

You sure have a lot of excuses for being proud of both major sports.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:47 PM   #82
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

That's stupid. I could totally come up with a better theory than that.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #83
Galaxy
Coordinator

WTF WV.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #84
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

This pretty much confirms it: the Big East is horrible this year. Take away their bid to the BCS starting tonight.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #85
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
This pretty much confirms it: the Big East is horrible this year. Take away their bid to the BCS starting tonight.

Guess we should take away the SECs as well since Mississippi lost to Jax st, and why we are at it dump the Big 12 since KU lost...
Old 09-10-2010, 09:08 PM   #86
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Long story short,the AJ Green jersey was bought by a former UNC player, Chris Hawkins, who is apparently part of the investigation in Chapel Hill. According to an espn.com report "a source said Hawkins contacted several sports agents about their interest in representing North Carolina players in the NFL draft."

Report: Former UNC player, considered agent by NCAA, bought Green’s jersey | UGA sports blog

To think this whole mess started because of a tweet.

Hm...

For posting a tweet, players were lost
For want of players, a team's depth was lost
For want of depth, a winning season was lost
For want of a winning season, many jobs were lost
All for posting a tweet.

Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #87
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Guess we should take away the SECs as well since Mississippi lost to Jax st, and why we are at it dump the Big 12 since KU lost...

Yes, because Kansas isn't supposed to be a bottom feeder this year...

This isn't just based on tonight's game..

Utah beat Pitt.
Cinci lost to Fresno St
Marshall (who lost by 40+ last week) is going to beat WVU.

Maybe I'm being a little harsh this early in the season and just jumping the gun way too soon; but the Big East sure isn't looking good early on.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #88
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

that took guts
Old 09-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #89
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Wow. Heck of a comeback so far.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #90
wade moore
lolzcat

I just turned on the game right before WVU scored their last TD.

I've not seen this Smith kid before tonight - he has impressed me big time on this drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #91
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

wow - my bet is still alive

I got my bet in late (Bodog) so I have WV - 6.5 when Marshall was up...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 09-10-2010 at 09:33 PM.
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #92
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Nice. I just tuned in as well, couldn't watch the game as my wife wanted to watch Valentines Day.........
Old 09-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #93
Galaxy
Coordinator

What a game.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #94
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Utah beat Pitt.
Cinci lost to Fresno St

Maybe I'm being a little harsh this early in the season and just jumping the gun way too soon; but the Big East sure isn't looking good early on.

All on the road to above average D1 schools ( not counting Marshall) while schools from other conferences schedule patsies at least the Big East is willing to play road games.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:33 PM   #95
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
All on the road to above average D1 schools ( not counting Marshall) while schools from other conferences schedule patsies at least the Big East is willing to play road games.

Will give 'em that.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #96
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

Utah beat Pitt.
Cinci lost to Fresno St

Let me quote this snippet from the PPG's writer for those that are down on the Big East (which are mostly Big East fans):

Quote:
** Now, let’s see if we can do the same kind of lazy and over-the-top knee-jerk analysis that has been going on across the country with pundits and talking heads over the past three days.

Ready, OK, let’s go……

There were two Big Ten teams – Illinois and Purdue – who went on the road this past weekend to play against quality teams and they lost, hence the Big Ten stinks. Actually it is worse than that because Illinois lost on a neutral site!! And we're sorry but wins at Middle Tennessee St., UNLV (where they haven’t had a winning season since 2000) and Vanderbilt don’t count as quality road wins.

The SEC didn’t have any teams go on the road against quality opponents this past weekend and considering North Carolina (a North Carolina team who apparently doesn’t count as a good team anyway) had 90 guys suspended, LSU’s win on a semi-neutral field against the Tar Heels felt like a loss since they needed a late stand just to hold on and win. In addition two SEC teams – Vanderbilt and Mississippi -- actually lost at home to bad teams, so that’s even worse than the Big Ten, hence the SEC really stinks.

The ACC had only North Carolina and Virginia Tech play tough games away from home -- on neutral fields no less -- and both lost, so the ACC must really stink, too!!

And the Pac-10, what an absolute joke of a conference that is – look at it, UCLA, Washington, Washington State all went on the road to play quality competition and lost and Oregon State lost on a semi-neutral field!!! Good thing USC saved a little face for the conference by winning at Hawaii but hell, that doesn’t really count since the Trojans gave up 36 points!

All right, are we done with this silly exercise yet?
Old 09-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #98
Galaxy
Coordinator

Curry is quite a force.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:40 PM   #99
Swaggs
Coordinator

And, as much as it pains me to say, it seems pretty stupid that Pitt starts the season at #15, actually goes on the road to play a quality opponent (Utah, who is apparently good enough to be #20 now), and loses in OT and they drop all the way out of the rankings.

If they had played cupcakes for two or three weeks, they probably would have been in the top 10 or 12 and then the same loss would have dropped them a few spots.

More of a rant on the pollsters than anything. If you think a team is good enough to be #15 at the beginning of the year, a close road loss to a good team shouldn't drop them below a bunch of teams that had varying levels of success over cupcakes.