Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-28-2014, 10:41 AM   #51
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

New screenshot really shows off the depth of field in the PS4 version. PS4 on top, PS3 on bottom.

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:45 AM   #52
markprior22
High School Varsity

Can't hardly wait until May 6!
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #53
TroyF
Coordinator

I saw a confirmation last night someplace that Vita saves would move over to PS4 the same way it worked with the PS3 last year. With some traveling coming up, that made my decision easy. I'll be purchasing the Vita version next week and will start a career as a pitcher in it. Then I'll move that one over to the PS4 and continue it via remote play along with any other career I start with. Looking forward to next week and next month.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:36 PM   #54
FBPro
College Starter

Oh yeah, can't wait. I've reserved vita version for 4/1 and then the PS 4 version for 5/6.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:24 AM   #55
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Trade in option available through Gamestop. $19.99 if you want to pick up the PS3 version now and get the PS4 version when it comes out. Think I'll probably just follow Troy's lead and pick up the Vita version today since I'll want to use it for cross saves.

GameStop announces MLB 14: The Show trade-up program | Joystiq
Old 04-02-2014, 12:08 PM   #56
TroyF
Coordinator

Grabbed the Vita version last night and put in about an hour.

I started off an RTTS career with a starting pitcher. I opted to start with the attributes of a real player and chose Strausberg. He was an 18 year old rated at 60 with massive velocity, an above average fastball, good curve ball and mediocre changup.

I used pure analog pitching and went through my 3 game TOPPS Showcase twice. I was the starting pitcher in each game and threw three innings each time.

My first go around was mediocre: 9 IP, 7 hits, 5 runs, 4 ER, 5 walks, 10 strikeouts

I was listed as a second round pick.The draft started off in the second round and I waited awhile until the DBacks picked my in the middle of the second round.

My second go around went much better: 9 IP, 4 hits, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 walks, 12 strikeouts.

I was listed as an early first rounder and was taken with the White Sox with the 3rd or 4th pick in the draft.

After the draft, you have an option to sign, go to a 1 or 2 year JUCO or a 3 or 4 year College. If you opt to go the college route, you get some training points and then get to do the Showcase over.

I didn't start my career after that. Will have some more thoughts later tonight.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:12 PM   #57
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Sounds pretty rad. Keep us in the loop.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:39 PM   #58
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Trade in option available through Gamestop. $19.99 if you want to pick up the PS3 version now and get the PS4 version when it comes out. Think I'll probably just follow Troy's lead and pick up the Vita version today since I'll want to use it for cross saves.

GameStop announces MLB 14: The Show trade-up program | Joystiq

Pay $80 for a $60 game! What a deal!
Old 04-03-2014, 09:55 AM   #59
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post

Obviously not for everyone, but there's plenty of eager beavers who simply can't wait that month to get a console version of the game. They wouldn't be doing it if there wasn't a market. But I agree with you.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #60
TroyF
Coordinator

Went through the TOPPS showcase again and got picked by the Blue Jays. Started my first game and had a line of: 7IP 8 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks, 8K. (I'll need to ramp up the difficulty on control) Didn't have time to really delve into how the points are awarded this year, but I'm sure it's the same as last year or similar.

There were zero times in the game where the coach gave me some stupid command or some smart command. The grading system is done for each batter. For the most part I agreed, though the picky will find problems. For example, back to back hitters gave me this: 2 outs in the inning, their leadoff hitter and speed demon hits a high chopper off the plate to third and beats it out by a step. The game grades that as "poor pitching" and gives me a -3 points or something. The following hitter I really make a mistake with. My 1-2 fastball is thrown center cut and the slap hitter with little power crushes it. My left field makes a jumping catch against the wall to get me out of the inning. "good pitching" +7 points.

Nitpicks aside, it was a fun game. Prices for the stubs are as follows:

1,000 - 99 cents
6,000 - 5 bucks
13,000 - 10 bucks
30,000 - 20 bucks
80,000 - 50 bucks.

Not sure what you would need to complete a superstar player or what prices in franchise are for things. Rosters will not have Tanaka until he pitches later this week. The Rockies top two pitching prospects are not in the game. (I'm sure roster makers have already figured this out, I'm not bothered as I'm only screwing around right now)

Will give more info as I dig deeper.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #61
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

They offer, people either buy or don't. I actually think it's pretty cool for them to offer anything at all. It could cost 120 bucks. If it's worth less than a buck a day to play your favorite game early, good for you. For some people, this is the only game they'll buy all summer. If they want to buy this game and sacrifice some cd's or a couple cases of beer, good for them.

For me the Vita was the perfect choice. I'll be doing a little bit of traveling this summer and will be able to play the game on the road. The career saves transfer over to the PS4 and back, so I can have a couple of careers to play through. So for me the 60 dollar game is actually going to cost me 100. Some thing that's probably too much as well, but tis my life, right?
Old 04-03-2014, 04:42 PM   #62
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
They offer, people either buy or don't. I actually think it's pretty cool for them to offer anything at all. It could cost 120 bucks. If it's worth less than a buck a day to play your favorite game early, good for you. For some people, this is the only game they'll buy all summer. If they want to buy this game and sacrifice some cd's or a couple cases of beer, good for them.

For me the Vita was the perfect choice. I'll be doing a little bit of traveling this summer and will be able to play the game on the road. The career saves transfer over to the PS4 and back, so I can have a couple of careers to play through. So for me the 60 dollar game is actually going to cost me 100. Some thing that's probably too much as well, but tis my life, right?

Other nice thing is that the save does transfer between all versions, so the upgrade is even more appealing when you factor in that option.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #63
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Fun video from the developers about new things in the game. My favorite out of the list is that the computer will attempt the hidden ball trick on occasion.

MLB 14: The Show Video Rolls Through Many New Features and Improvements | pastapadre.com

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 04-03-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #64
dave731
High School JV

Any word on whether online co-op franchise made it in this year? The offline co-op has gotten a lot of love in recent years...will probably be a reason to buy for me if online co-op franchise is in.
dave731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:05 AM   #65
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Online franchise is in, as is a Madden-Cards lie dnasty mode.

For those of you who've played it, how do you add a pitch during the season? I was looking for the option in the training menus and I don't see it.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:05 AM   #66
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Online franchise is in, as is a Madden-Cards lie dnasty mode.

For those of you who've played it, how do you add a pitch during the season? I was looking for the option in the training menus and I don't see it.

Go into training and then hit the triangle button.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #67
dave731
High School JV

What about co-op franchise online? I saw they added online franchise but I always had the most fun playing with a friend on the same team back in the All Star Baseball days.
dave731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #68
TroyF
Coordinator

I decide to create the reincarnation of Walter Johnson in the game. Sadly, I can only pick train rather than big train for a nickname. Anyway, I create the fastball throwing Johnson and go through the showcase. My projection is middle of round one and I go to. . . the Washington Nationals. WOO HOO. Can't make this stuff up.

On another note, if you've never seen Walter's delivery, it's well worth checking this link out. Can you imagine what major league coaching staffs would do if they saw this motion?

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...walter-johnson
Old 04-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #69
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I decide to create the reincarnation of Walter Johnson in the game. Sadly, I can only pick train rather than big train for a nickname. Anyway, I create the fastball throwing Johnson and go through the showcase. My projection is middle of round one and I go to. . . the Washington Nationals. WOO HOO. Can't make this stuff up.

On another note, if you've never seen Walter's delivery, it's well worth checking this link out. Can you imagine what major league coaching staffs would do if they saw this motion?

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...walter-johnson

We need a dynasty

I have watched multiple videos and have no clue how he got the velocity he did on his fastball. It is compact and effortless, but he has extremely long arms and it is almost like the whip like motion translated into the ability to throw, what was likely a mid 90's fastball.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #70
Icy
Pro Starter

I have the PS$ preordered already, trying to contain myself from buying the Vita version too while i wait.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:58 PM   #71
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
I have the PS$ preordered already, trying to contain myself from buying the Vita version too while i wait.

I didn't resist, I figured even when I get the PS4 version I can still play the vita version on the go.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #72
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro View Post
I didn't resist, I figured even when I get the PS4 version I can still play the vita version on the go.

I didn't either, bought mine yesterday

Old 04-09-2014, 09:55 AM   #73
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Whoooo. PS4 footage is up. Even in Youtube format, you can tell some big differences in the lighting model. Someone created a gif of the batter. It's about as good as it gets. I would suspect that some would mistake this for a TV telecast.

Full video below. Only a month to go.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 04-09-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #74
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Yeah. I thought that was a gif of a telecast when it first started loading.

I don't think I've been more excited about a sports game for quite some time.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #75
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post

I don't think I've been more excited about a sports game for quite some time.

The timing of the PS4 supply couldn't be better to take advantage of it. Stock is good at all major retailers, so most people will be able to pick up a console on release day.

One thing I did hear in the video was that online franchises are the only game mode where saves will not transfer to next year's version of the game. Not a big deal to me because I'm a single player of the game, but might be a bit frustrating to some.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:58 AM   #76
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

My league is going to do a manual roster next year, based on OSFM '14 and our transactions throughout the 2014 season. We're also going to create some international FA's to add in.

All we should have to do is update player ratings for existing players, delete retired players, and create our rookies. It's obviously more in depth than that, but that's our plan!
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #77
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Holy fucking shit that is beautiful. I've decided my next gen system will be a PS4. That is just flat out preposterous.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #78
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
My league is going to do a manual roster next year, based on OSFM '14 and our transactions throughout the 2014 season. We're also going to create some international FA's to add in.

All we should have to do is update player ratings for existing players, delete retired players, and create our rookies. It's obviously more in depth than that, but that's our plan!

Just curious as I've never gone into this part of the game. How long does it take to set something like that up?

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 04-09-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:41 PM   #79
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Holy fucking shit that is beautiful. I've decided my next gen system will be a PS4. That is just flat out preposterous.

+1. As soon as the prices get into Homer's broke ass pay scale of course or I win the lottery.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #80
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post

Yeah - I totally mistook it. I'm not even a baseball game fan, but whoa.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:46 PM   #81
TroyF
Coordinator

Some more thoughts on teh game and on Walter Johnson's new career:

1) I'm playing on variable difficulty. In starts 1-4 I moved up the ladder pretty quickly. Starts 5-11 have seen me go up/down/up/down. I'm guessing it'll stabalize when it finds the sweet spot.

2) If you select a current starting pitcher, you get 3 of his pitches. (you don't get to pick either) Just a word of warning if you decide to pick a Darvish or something like that.

3) I have purchased zero upgrades for Walter Johnson. He started out incredibly hot in AA. The third game was the best game I've ever pitched in The Show on any difficulty. 9IP, 1 hit, 2 walks, 16 K. The hit was a clean shot to the gap that went for a double.

He threw 5 games in AA. 38 IP, 22 Hits, 4 runs, 3 earned runs, 7 walks, 50 srikeouts.

After that came a promotion to AAA. 6 games thus far in the AAA career. 46 IP, 34 hits, 8 runs, 6 earned runs, 8 walks, 58 K.

The Nationals are stacked in their starting rotation, so I think I'm down in AAA until an injury happens. I have three pitches, Fastball, Curve Ball, Change Up. I use my fastball over 50% of the time. Placing it inside, outside, up and down. I'll usually only throw one change up an at bat. If I guy has a 5 pitch at bat against me, he might see 3 fastballs, 1 changeup follow by another fastball. The curve is thrown as a first pitch quite often, especially to poor hitters. Hitters WILL swing out of the zone on first pitches more this year.

I have not added any pitches at this point. I have my fastball control at 75+ now and the break/control of my other pitches at 50 or better. I'm debating between a 2 seam fastball or a slider for my 4th pitch. Not sure I'll ever go to five as I really want the fastball to be the star of the show.

Overall, very fun game and i'm glad I picked up the Vita version.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:16 PM   #82
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Put in a pretty good chunk of play on the Vita version over the last week or so. I'm playing my RTTS as a SS.

-I really like the point awarding system thus far. There's still the occasional time where I feel like I should have got more points for an out early in the count where I made good contact, but overall, I think the system is very good.

-Really good pace on the games. I've got through a lot of games at a quick pace.

-I've had difficulty turning a double play too often when I'm the one covering the bag. May get better as I increase my stats.

-I literally had the 'one more game' thing going on yesterday. Put in about 5 hours of gameplay yesterday. Lots of fun.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:57 PM   #83
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
+1. As soon as the prices get into Homer's broke ass pay scale of course or I win the lottery.

We're shipmates.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:36 PM   #84
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

New trailer that was released last week. Just f'n unbelievable. May can't come soon enough because this is why I bought a PS4.

Love the dynamic camera on offense. Probably will stick with the old camera options on defense.

Hunter Pence takes on Yasiel Puig in a full game on the PS4 with quick counts. Puig plays the game a lot and he's definitely into the game. Pence is obviously new to the game.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #85
Icy
Pro Starter

Enjoying it a lot in the VITA, can't wait for the PS4 version.

I'm mainly a RTTS player, but the Quick Counts feature has made it possible for me to start a dynasty (with the Marlins) as a full game now takes around 40 minutes instead of an hour and a half.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #86
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Video of the Pence/Puig HR Derby.......

Old 04-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #87
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Some long load times...

Why is it so choppy?

Last edited by BillJasper : 04-23-2014 at 02:36 PM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #88
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Some long load times...

Why is it so choppy?

Will be interesting to see final load times on the retail copy.

The video is a copy of the original off IGN. Likely the choppy nature is from that. This is the original stream, but it's nearly 6 1/2 hours long, which is the reason a lot of people are grabbing bits and pieces and posting them instead.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #89
Logan
Head Coach

Gameplay looks good.

Also doesn't look anywhere near as good as a lot of pics, just like always.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:30 PM   #90
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Features and enhancements for PS4 version. 4 more days.......

Old 05-04-2014, 11:13 AM   #91
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Only a couple more days. Really excited to get the PS4 version now that my RTTS player from the Vita version has just been promoted to the majors. Want to see the big ballparks on the PS4 version.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #92
FBPro
College Starter

Can't wait!!! Taking the second half of Tuesday off and all day Wednesday....Whoo Hoo!!
Old 05-04-2014, 10:18 PM   #93
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

way to go with quick counts.. awesome feature
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:31 AM   #94
Terps
College Prospect

Ugh, I have to wait until Saturday before I can play it.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:39 AM   #95
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps View Post
Ugh, I have to wait until Saturday before I can play it.

I have to wait until Monday before I have any significant time to play it.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:42 PM   #96
FBPro
College Starter

Played a little today, alot more tomorrow and then a marathon session this weekend as my wife is working through monday!!
Old 05-06-2014, 04:44 PM   #97
BYU 14
Coordinator

Got a little time in as well. No spring Football tomorrow, so I will play more then.

Haven't played for a couple of versions, but easy getting back into the controls and it is absolutely gorgeous on PS4. Quick count is probably the best idea ever for this series..
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #98
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Doesnt appear the online functions are even working or certainly not working like they should be. I cant even challenge a friend to a game nor can I even get into one of the lobbies and challenge him there because they have a max of 32???
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #99
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Doesnt appear the online functions are even working or certainly not working like they should be. I cant even challenge a friend to a game nor can I even get into one of the lobbies and challenge him there because they have a max of 32???

To be honest, I'm not even sure why they attempt online play with this franchise. The core players are single player mode and it's clearly the part of the game that receives the accolateds. Anyone who attempts to use the online play option usually is disappointed. I've personally never played the online gameplay and probably won't anytime soon barring playing with some of my friends who are also going to have Google Fiber in my area later this year.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:21 PM   #100
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Finally taking it for a spin. Forgive me if some of this stuff is in the PS3 version as I've only played the Vita version thus far.

-Visuals are obviously a huge difference even from the previous PS3 versions I've played. Just fantastic stuff.

-Like on the console version how it gives you +/- feedback on why you received a certain point score for everything in RTTS. Didn't have that on Vita.

-MUCH better load times than the Vita version. My load times and frame rate were a bit slow when I was playing exhibition games while waiting for data to load. Once data was loaded, have had very little if any frame rate issues and the load times are really good.

-Presentation is a big step up as well. Things like your series stats when you come up to bat are a really nice touch. I'm sure I'll run into more as I play it more.