Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #51
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Do you really expect her to wear the old costume from last year, if it's made out of duct tape?

No, but the rational part of my brain keeps wondering why duct tape.

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #52
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
head back to the hotel to role-play, eat dinner, more role-playing and perhaps some boardgaming, go to bed and then do the same thing the next day.

This is the only thread where it is acceptable to say that you are in a hotel roleplaying with a bunch of guys and then you all go to bed.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #53
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
No, but the rational part of my brain keeps wondering why duct tape.

Because scotch tape is clear?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 07-22-2010, 12:16 PM   #54
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Because scotch tape is clear?

Which begs the question...is she hot enough to pull the clear tape look?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #55
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

hxxp://www.google.com/images?q=%22Duct+Tape+Girl%22+GenCon&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1024&bih=572&uss=1

Judge for yourself.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:04 AM   #56
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

One last Comic Con question, there's one going in San Diego right now.

So what's this: Chicago Comic Con Wizard World Convention: Chicago, Wizard Conventions, Comic Convention, Wizard World Philly, Wizard World Tour, Wizard World

?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:52 AM   #57
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post

Just another comic book convention in Chicago. It's a relatively large one at that. There are comic book and gaming conventions happening all the time all over the US and world.

The San Diego Comic Con just happens to be the biggest and most well known comic book convention and GenCon is the biggest and most well known gaming convention. There are other smaller ones. They are legion.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:02 AM   #58
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
hxxp://www.google.com/images?q=%22Duct+Tape+Girl%22+GenCon&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1024&bih=572&uss=1

Judge for yourself.

Yuck, she looks like Marilyn Manson.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:19 PM   #59
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Thanks H_B!

Think I'm going to check it out.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #60
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I'd like to get # lists out to everyone in the next few days. I have numbers for CubboyRoy, Coffee and Fozzie.. so, anyone else?
Old 07-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #61
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Talked with CW today: couple things:

One) Bring PLENTY of liquids with you.. (the temperature is projected to be 96-98 and humid all the days). There's a CVS 3-4 blocks from the convention center, but you'll pay City prices (and lugging them is going to be a pain in the ass).

Two) We're definitely going to need to arrange for a time to get together and play Fortress America.. (I think I intrigued CW with a link to Dust Tactics, a board/miniature game that's going to be released at GenCon.. )

Three) Right now, the FOFC dinner is up in the air, but there's a lot of places that will be having specials that we can check out..

Four) If folks are going to be there thursday morning for the con opening, might be a good time to arrange for just a meetup as we wait for the doors to open..
Old 07-27-2010, 04:04 PM   #62
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Love me some miniature games... (Not collectible miniature games though although I think Gamma World is supposed to debut, but not sure if it was at Gencon)

I will be the easiest one to find at Gencon, I'll be at the auction place. Just looking for the balding guy with a Star Wars T-shirt... ok, wait.. that only narrows it down to 20 guys.

Last edited by Mustang : 07-27-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:23 PM   #63
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I was late in ordering tickets so they are at will call. Anyone know the will call hours or how that works?

Edit : hah.. found it.

Main Registration and Will Call:
Wed. Noon - 9pm
Thurs-Sat 7am - 9pm
Sun 7am - 4pm

Last edited by Mustang : 07-27-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:07 PM   #64
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I will be there Wednesday early afternoon to pickup my tickets in advance. I am going to be there through Friday so I am up for grabbing dinner together or sitting down to play a game.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #65
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I've got my badge in hand already, it's doubtful that I'm going to leave work early Wednesday, so as originally stated, late night arrival wed night for me.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #66
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Phone Numbers sent.

I'll be there late late Wednesday (like Midnight) and leaving sometime Saturday. I'll be staying on the West side of Indy (Clarion I believe)
Old 08-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #67
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Lamenting.

I've got to do GenCon some year.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:43 AM   #68
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Two) We're definitely going to need to arrange for a time to get together and play Fortress America.. (I think I intrigued CW with a link to Dust Tactics, a board/miniature game that's going to be released at GenCon.. )

Who's in for invading America, anyway?
Old 08-03-2010, 08:38 PM   #69
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Minor irritated venting.

One of my big caveats to me going was I did not wanna stay in a hotel jammed full of people. Me and one other guy, no problem.

Well, that became a reluctant third awhile back. Okay, he's a good friend.

And we just discovered he is dragging a 4th person along. Who is apparently in the room as well. Le. Sigh.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:37 AM   #70
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
And we just discovered he is dragging a 4th person along. Who is apparently in the room as well. Le. Sigh.

You need to be a loner and a rebel like me because that means you get your own king size bed to yourself.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:54 AM   #71
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Be careful. I told him the same thing, and he's threatening to move in :P

About to head to the airport.. if all goes well, will be there around 10 AM EDT
Old 08-04-2010, 06:29 AM   #72
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Three) Right now, the FOFC dinner is up in the air, but there's a lot of places that will be having specials that we can check out..

Devour Downtown Summer 2010

Yeah, so we're a bit new to Indy having just moved here so local expertise is not my strong suit. But, this week and next week seem to be "Devour Downtown", basically some sort of restaurant week they have twice a year. My wife and I already went out once this week and plan on going next week because even the really expensive places will be $30 if you go by their prix fixe menus. That said, you might want to go early because if where we went was indication (Fogo De Chao), places get packed this week. We went on Monday and it was packed to the point where we had to wait 15 minutes even with a reservation at 7pm for just 2 of us.

Frankly, didn't even know this convention was here so I might have to think about showing up. Depends on how crazy work goes- if it's not awful, I might be able to check it out Saturday.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-04-2010 at 06:30 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:02 AM   #73
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
You need to be a loner and a rebel like me because that means you get your own king size bed to yourself.

You better get 2 queen beds instead, 'cause I'm breaking into your room too.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #74
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Heh, fun.

So, I just said screwit, looked for some last minute cancellations, and got me my own damn room.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #75
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
About to head to the airport.. if all goes well, will be there around 10 AM EDT

Hope your trip went smoothly.

Out of here in 7 hours give or take. Hopefully I make it in 5 hrs, but depends on how Chicago is traffic wise (shouldn't be too bad at 8 at night.)
Old 08-04-2010, 11:52 AM   #76
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Heh, fun.

So, I just said screwit, looked for some last minute cancellations, and got me my own damn room.

Staying near the convention center? How much did the room end up being?
Old 08-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #77
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Actually, staying CLOSER to the convention center than I was (by a smidge - and the new hotel has skywalk links), and it will prolly wind up being roughly the same cost. At the Canterbury now.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 08-04-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #78
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So, getting to the airport was the fun part. Woke up at 1 am, and just putzed around till 4 am when my ride to the airport was ready to go... we got close to Logan and.. they were working on the main road to the airport (they're supposed to be off the road by 5 AM, we got there at 4:55 am, and the road was still closed.. so we had to take about nine detours to get to the airport)

After that, it was no problem, at the airport and on the plane.

So, got here fine. got to the Marriott around 10 AM, went and hit the CVS before it had got completely raided, came back to the room, and slept. Went over to the convention center, got my badge and con bag, and here I am.

So, tomorrow morning, I'm heading over to the Con Center around 8:30-9:00 for the 10 am opening ceremonies and the ceremonial first roll of the dice.. (and then the chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge of the dealer hall opening)
Old 08-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #79
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

One drawback of my shiny room-to-myself: It's not booked for tonight. So I'll be up at the asscrack of dawn to head out. I should make it there sometime mid-morning - prolly will miss the 10am stampede, though.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:39 PM   #80
DataKing
Pro Rookie

There are things I miss about GenCon, but the vendor hall on opening day is not one of them.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #81
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I am in town now and all checked in. I will probably head to the convention center in a around 5:30 Indy time. Our hotel is about 15 minutes outside of town thanks to a friend planning the hotel reservations. Next year I will definitely plan where we stay.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #82
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I hear there's now room for one more at a hotel closer to the convention center.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #83
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
I am in town now and all checked in. I will probably head to the convention center in a around 5:30 Indy time. Our hotel is about 15 minutes outside of town thanks to a friend planning the hotel reservations. Next year I will definitely plan where we stay.

definitely, use the GenCon hotel reservation page next year. It's really the only way you'll get anything close to the con center.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #84
Router Help

I'm not there, but my company is there somewhere showing off our version of Settlers Of Catan on the Microsoft Surface. Let me know what you guys think if you see it and get a chance to play it.

Settlers Of Catan, As Nature Intended
Router Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:14 PM   #85
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Any chance you can send a word to your coworkers for a little private show of the thing?
Old 08-04-2010, 04:20 PM   #86
Router Help

I'm not sure what kind of access she has to email right now, but I just sent Mollie a message asking where she was because I have a group that wants to play.

If you see her before she gets back to me, tell her Jay from IT sent you over to play
Router Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #87
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Unless she doesn't get back to you at all today, I won't see her. I don't get in till tomorrow morning.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:18 AM   #88
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

so, I'm awake at this ungodly hour:

Looks like yesterday was the worst day weather-wise, supposed to be maybe some thunderstorms this morning, but all four days are projected to be around 90 (which is like 10 or so degrees better then Wed was).

I'm gonna make my way over to the opening of the dealer hall, wander around, probably going to hit the auction room/consignment store (thank GOD for UPS on site, although there's both a UPS store and FedEx nearby.)

Got a 4 PM shadowrun game, so if folks want to do something for dinner, I'm willing.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #89
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Finally in my room, free wifi.

Hit the vendor hall a bit, now I wanna beer and relax for a bit.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:48 PM   #90
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Out at the very corner of the GenCon floor, was a new company called Travesty Games, and a board game called KILL BALL. I managed to snag a copy and I've been reviewing it back at the hotel room:

It's a strange combination of Speedball the old PC game, Blood Bowl, and even a bit of Hyper Blade (I'll explain how in a bit)

Basically, Kill Ball is the hyper violent sport of the future, where two teams of four players attempt to A) Score goals to win the game and B ) Kill and Maim their opposition as much as possible, to make A easier. B ) is actually made harder by the fact that the marvels of future medicine can just about fix anything, and by fix, I mean sew the player just enough so they can shoot the poor bastard back out on to the field to take more abuse.

Most of the game is percentile based. For example, to hit the opponent requires a roll under the player's hit skill. To score a goal requires a check versus half the player's throw skill.

Each player does two things in a turn. Move, and an action (Sprint for extra move, hit something, dodge (try to dodge someone else's attempt to hit them), Guard (auto attempt to hit an opponent who comes next to them), Help Up (pick up a downed teammate) and Get Up (stand up yourself). There are also actions you can take regarding the ball: Attempting to score, attempting intercept a pass/goal throw/scoring attempt/ball attack, throw a pass to a teammate, or at You can do it in either order (Move then action or action then move), but you CANNOT mix the two.. for example, you cannot partially move, hit an opponent,

Player knocked down roll a d10, and the lower the roll, the worse off they are.

There are three levels of injury, Knocked Down, Seriously Injured, and Catastrophic Injury. Basically, Knocked Down is no affect (although of course, it leaves the player open to further injury), Seriously Injured is knocked down, with stat decreases for the rest of the game, and Catastrophic Injuries remove the player from the field for two turns (considering a game is 12 turns, that can be more than long enough), and cause PERMANENT stat loss.

For example, on a base hit, only a 1 will cause a Catastrophic Injury If you attack a fallen opponent (a -3 modifier), all of a sudden, a 1-4 causes the catastrophic injury. Teams in the game as in the book have four players only, so if players are taken off the field with catastrophic injuries, the other team suddenly has a powerplay.

Oh, and the Hyper Blade part? One of the injuries that a player can suffer is decapitation, and if it happens, the unfortunate player's head becomes a second ball. They even have a mock rule that states if a player gets decapitated, and then after being "healed" scores a goal with his own head, they automatically become The Man, even if they are female.

You can replace one player after each game, and players can grow in skills. (Things like additional rerolls of injuries, more powerful hits, etcetera)

I'll have to see if someone here wants to try it out, I think I like it and I already have ideas for variants.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:34 AM   #91
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Fozzie I will have to check that game out it sounds pretty cool. I will be in a couple of gaming events today but should be available towards the end of the day. I am not sure when we are going to head out tonight. We are thinking of staying until Saturday now but it depends upon how much shopping we do today.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:35 AM   #92
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Definitely keep us posted on that, Fozzie!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:40 AM   #93
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Sorry I didn't call ya'll last night, btw. We wound up firing up a single new game, and then I crashed moderately early.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:47 AM   #94
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

No biggee it is tough to connect with everyone going every which way.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:52 AM   #95
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

What's your thoughts on today? I've got a game this ... evening I think (I forget, my buddy has the schedule for it), aside from that, we're winging it.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:00 AM   #96
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I am booked until about 4 or 5 but I do not think we have any specific plans after that yet.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:01 AM   #97
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Kill Ball sounds really cool Fozzie. I hope you guys have lots of fun, my trip fell through at the last minute.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #98
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I hit the hall at 10 today, but I' already back at the room for a while. Maybe I'm getting old, or it's the fact I can't sleep more then 3 hours in a row right now, but I hit the wall hard (plus my knee is acting up).

So I'm gonna chill, sip some gatorade or soda, and just catch up on life for a bit, I'll be down later.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #99
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Hey we are going to stay an extra night so if you guys do anything let me know.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #100
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

If some FOFC guys want to get together for some board games or maybe a game of Kill Ball, I'm up for it.