Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman
Don't feed the trolls.
This troll is done.

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:13 AM   #52
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

So, what's the betting line on whether this causes a fallout or not .

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:29 AM   #53
Desnudo
Coordinator

I thought he was funny. I mean what sane person takes a stand on Tickle Me Elmo? Let's give some credit here.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:30 AM   #54
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Banned for picking on Michelle Wie. What's next, Gerald Ford getting eaten by wolves?
Old 01-24-2006, 10:40 AM   #55
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
I think Wie stole WrongWay's elmo

I was just re-reading this thread, trying to find exactly what/where was the breaking point of WrongWay's banning, when I saw this and decided you never got enough credit for how funny this is.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:12 PM   #56
Craptacular
College Starter

I just turned on CBS to see the Nabisco Championship (1st major of the year), and Wie was in a 3-way for 1st. She's on 16, and just sticks her approach shot to about 6 inches away. 30 seconds later, Karrie Webb (who was one of the three tied) holes out from about 115 yards on 18 for an eagle. 18 is a par 5, so assuming Wie taps in on 16 and doesn't bogey 17, she should have a good chance to at least make a playoff.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 04:21 PM   #57
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Michelle Wie is down by 1 with two holes in the final group at the first LPGA major of the year. Karrie Webb was tied with her and Natalie Gulbis for the lead, before hitting an eagle on 18, to end at -9. Wie birdied 16, so she's just one back at -8 and the 18th hole is a Par 5.

The commentating is awful.

It'll be interesting to see if she can close out, but I dunno..it might not be her day. That eagle by Karrie Webb was outstanding. Of course, Wie makes her own and the game is over.

Morgan Pressel (+2) and Paula Creamer (+5) didn't factor here.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:38 PM   #58
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Ugh. This isn't good.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:40 PM   #59
Craptacular
College Starter

Getting interesting:

Webb done at -9
Wie at -8 with an eagle putt/chip from the fringe
Gulbis at -8 with a wedge approach coming up
Ochoa at -7 with a makeable eagle putt

And on the men's side, Phil Mickelson has a 12 shot lead.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:43 PM   #60
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Why did she chip that thing?
Old 04-02-2006, 04:43 PM   #61
Craptacular
College Starter

Yikes. Not a good pitch by Wie.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:46 PM   #62
Craptacular
College Starter

WrongWay smiles somewhere.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:46 PM   #63
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

First George Mason, now her. Geez...what a weekend. I still don't understand the decision to chip on the fringe.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:47 PM   #64
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Karrie Webb made some really nice shots though down the stretch the past two days and that eagle was clutch. So, it's not as if she's not deserving.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:48 PM   #65
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Clutch
Old 04-02-2006, 04:48 PM   #66
Craptacular
College Starter

Well you can't say Webb and Ochoa didn't earn the right to be in the playoff. Wow.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:52 PM   #67
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craptacular
Well you can't say Webb and Ochoa didn't earn the right to be in the playoff. Wow.

Yeah, no doubt. That's what being a veteran is all about. Wie can learn from their poise down the stretch. She clearly rushed those shots on both 17 and 18. I think that's where her decisions not to have a regular caddy and not playing week in and week out really hurts her. Because she just doesn't have the real poise to handle situations like that and it's not like practice where you come back tomorrow and do it again.

I guess the critics who will say she hasn't "learned" how to win yet, will point to this as another example, but I think just being a young player had way more to do with it than that.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:31 PM   #68
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Urgh. I wish a new thread had been started instead of resurrecting and sensationalizing WrongWay's trolling.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:41 AM   #69
Desnudo
Coordinator

It's only by learning history that we will repeat it or something.

Wie wins local qualifier for Men's US Open

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=2446362
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:07 PM   #70
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I still think she is pushing too far too fast in a potentially career-damaging way, but if she makes the Open, she will certainly have earned it. Playing through all of the qualification matches is not easy. Out of curiosity, anyone know how many more levels she would have to play before qualifying for the Open?
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:40 PM   #71
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
I still think she is pushing too far too fast in a potentially career-damaging way, but if she makes the Open, she will certainly have earned it. Playing through all of the qualification matches is not easy. Out of curiosity, anyone know how many more levels she would have to play before qualifying for the Open?

She just finished the local qualifiers. If she wins the sectional qualifiers, she's in the U.S. Open field.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:53 PM   #72
IwasHere
Banned

So Wie beats up on some local middle-schoolers in front of a crowd of a couple dozen. Is this big news?

Others to Qualify were a 15 year old boy from the local middle school.

Last edited by IwasHere : 05-16-2006 at 12:55 PM.
IwasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:59 PM   #73
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwasHere
So Wie beats up on some local middle-schoolers in front of a crowd of a couple dozen. Is this big news?

If she qualifies from the sectional it will be quite an accomplishment ... there's a lot of touring pros that won't.

A few years back at Bethpage, some high school boy qualified for the US Open. Not sure what ever happened to him ...
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:00 PM   #74
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

It is posts like these that get me lumped in with the crazy Wie-bashing crowd. Obviously this first round is nowhere near the competition of the sectionals or the Open itself, but it takes a pretty good round of golf to get through. This is clearly treated as bigger news because it is Wie and the papers are trying to push her as much as possible, but comparing it to beating up on some middle-schoolers is pretty silly.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:06 PM   #75
Franklinnoble
Banned

Actually, if the dude's 15, he ought to be in high school already ... slacker.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:10 PM   #76
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:

Congrats Shorty!
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:10 PM   #77
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:

He's a freshman in high school, not middle school, and he is an accomplished junior golfer, winning the Hawaii State Junior Title and the Callaway Golf PGA Junior Tour Series. He already has a sixth place finish in the men's state amateur and he came within two strokes of becoming the youngest person to ever qualifiy for a PGA tour event.

Just your typical local middle schooler that she beat -- a kid who will probably be playing PGA Tour events before he's 18.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:14 PM   #78
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
It is posts like these that get me lumped in with the crazy Wie-bashing crowd. Obviously this first round is nowhere near the competition of the sectionals or the Open itself, but it takes a pretty good round of golf to get through. This is clearly treated as bigger news because it is Wie and the papers are trying to push her as much as possible, but comparing it to beating up on some middle-schoolers is pretty silly.
See, and I'm the opposite. People searching high and low for ways and reasons to criticize her make me a bigger fan of her because she clearly has obstacles to overcome regarding people who critcize her for no real good reason. Why skin off anybody's nose is it if Wie plays with the men if she's good enough? She's not suing for the right to play or getting sponsor exepmptions and shooting a David Duval-esque 86. She's going out there and playing and trying to win. Good for her.

Local qualifying isn't a tremendouse deal. It's the sectional qualifying that's a bear. I'll bet she's not uncorking champagne for winning the local qualifier, but there's not reason to run her down for winning a local qualifier either.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:21 PM   #79
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
See, and I'm the opposite. People searching high and low for ways and reasons to criticize her make me a bigger fan of her because she clearly has obstacles to overcome regarding people who critcize her for no real good reason. Why skin off anybody's nose is it if Wie plays with the men if she's good enough? She's not suing for the right to play or getting sponsor exepmptions and shooting a David Duval-esque 86. She's going out there and playing and trying to win. Good for her.

Local qualifying isn't a tremendouse deal. It's the sectional qualifying that's a bear. I'll bet she's not uncorking champagne for winning the local qualifier, but there's not reason to run her down for winning a local qualifier either.

Right. Anybody else wins the local qualifier and it doesn't even make the back page. With Wie, farting is news. It's not her fault the media is just breathless waiting for her to win the Masters.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:27 PM   #80
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19

I don't think I am looking for reasons to criticize her. I really do believe that she could be good enough to compete with the men, I just think she could be going about it a better way.

She clearly wants to play against the best competition and she thinks that will make her better. In the process, she is probably looking to cash in a bit on her fame while going through the process. I happen to believe that she will stunt her progress by going this route. Having stretch goals are a good thing, but if you reach too high you will start to not really try to reach the goals you know are unreachable. I would advise her to hold off on trying to play with the men, and get a taste for winning on the women's tour. Even though she has come close to winning on the women's tour, she hasn't yet. You need to win a few times to let the hunger build and to get used to winning.

While you may cheer for her more because others are rooting against her, the fact is that she isn't gaining nearly as many fans as if she dominated on the women's tour for a couple years. This will also hurt her career since she won't have as big a fan base to feed off of.

If she does qualify for the Men's Open, she will have earned the right to be there and I won't say anything about her not deserving to be there. But I would still say that I think she is doing herself a disservce by reaching so high already.

If she did things right, I could see her being the biggest name in women's golf and possibly golf in general. I just worry that she isn't even going to be playing golf in 5 years the way she is going.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:51 PM   #81
IwasHere
Banned

I blame Nike for making her compete in some of these tournaments and not allowing her to play full time on the women's circuit. I guess Nike has decided that they do not want her losing to amateur girls her same age. Nike was fast to anounce how Wie made the cut at some men's Asian tournament last month, but did not mention the fact that a couple years ago a 13 year old Korean girl had made the cut at the same men's tournament.

A 15 year old 9th graded to me is a Middle Schooler.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:55 PM   #82
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:

Are college freshmen considered high schoolers to you as well?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:59 PM   #83
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
Right. Anybody else wins the local qualifier and it doesn't even make the back page. With Wie, farting is news. It's not her fault the media is just breathless waiting for her to win the Masters.

False, I ran into Wie at a 7/11 and she broke horrendous wind and it didn't even make the local paper.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:00 PM   #84
IwasHere
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Are college freshmen considered high schoolers to you as well?
No.

Middle School 7-9
High School 10-12

What is it in your area?
Old 05-16-2006, 02:01 PM   #85
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I blame Nike for making her compete in some of these tournaments and not allowing her to play full time on the women's circuit. I guess Nike has decided that they do not want her losing to amateur girls her same age. Nike was fast to anounce how Wie made the cut at some men's Asian tournament last month, but did not mention the fact that a couple years ago a 13 year old Korean girl had made the cut at the same men's tournament.

Umm... I'm curious as to where 9th graders are Middle Schoolers.. in most of the US, High School is Grade 9-12...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:04 PM   #86
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
Umm... I'm curious as to where 9th graders are Middle Schoolers.. in most of the US, High School is Grade 9-12...

Depends on the school district actually.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:04 PM   #87
IwasHere
Banned

In most US schools 9th graders are NOT High schoolers
Old 05-16-2006, 02:05 PM   #88
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:

Other way around actually but again, both systems are used.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:05 PM   #89
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

You're wrong. Most 9th graders are high schoolers.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:07 PM   #90
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
No.

Middle School 7-9
High School 10-12

What is it in your area?

In New Jersey, when my parents were growing up..it was Middle school 7-9 and High School 10-12.

When I went through, 7-8 for Middle School 9-12 for high school.

Now? In my home district specifically, its 6-8 for middle school and 9-12 for high school.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:09 PM   #91
IwasHere
Banned

I am just repeating what I was told. When I went to school 9th grade has high School. There was no such thing as middle School. Grade School --> Junior High --> High School.

Now 9th graders are no longer in the High School and there is this new school called Middle School somewhere in the equation.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:10 PM   #92
Bee
Pro Starter

When I was in 9th Grade, it was still Middle School. High School was 10-12.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:12 PM   #93
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yeah, it's 1-5, 678, and 9-12 in VA. Unfortunately you get a bunch of 16 year old 6th graders there, but that's a different issue for a different day.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:13 PM   #94
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Fuck most 9th graders.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:13 PM   #95
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
This is how it was in the city I grew up in.

7-9 Jr. High School
10-12 High School
Old 05-16-2006, 02:16 PM   #96
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Nike surely isn't pulling the strings on her.

And 9th graders are high schoolers. That's why HS kids have 4 years of eligibility in most places.

Anyway...Michelle seems fairly resolute that these are her goals and she wants to do this stuff. A Korean Girl did not make the cut at that same men's tournament.

Se Ri Pak, a Korean WOMAN who plays and has WON on the LPGA tour came in 10th in KPGA tour event.

The tour event that Michelle Wie played in was an Asian Tour event, which while not being "PGA tour" level, is a higher level of play than the tournament event Pak played in.

Look, its cool that she's worth more than most of us and probably will accomplish more in golf than your ordinary beer gutted hacker or even your local 0 handicap pro at the country club.

But that doesn't mean people need to hate her or to want her to do it "their way" simply because they don't like what she's doing. She's 16 years old. She's a girl. We forget that Tiger was the first "child prodigy" of sorts that made good and surpassed our expectations. LeBron James is doing it in a different way and is living up to the hype, but he plays a completely different game and the dynamics are different naturally.

Tennis players have been playing young for ages and doing well, but the difference of course, is they all peak out at 21 and end their careers at 24 or something.

But to decry her talent as something that's going to flame out is a matter of opinion I suppose. But she's still outstanding.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:17 PM   #97
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Fran look; she's gotten her boobies. Oh, and they are so perky!

Last edited by rkmsuf : 05-16-2006 at 02:20 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:17 PM   #98
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The first page of this thread has some definate LOL moments. Now that I'm re-reading it for the first time in months.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:18 PM   #99
IwasHere
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Yeah, it's 1-5, 678, and 9-12 in VA. Unfortunately you get a bunch of 16 year old 6th graders there, but that's a different issue for a different day.
Bee from Fairfax Virgina says different.

You would think it would at least try to be the same for each state. I wonder how Jr. High sports works in VA if some schools have 6-8 and others have 7-9?
Old 05-16-2006, 02:18 PM   #100
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
I am just repeating what I was told. When I went to school 9th grade has high School. There was no such thing as middle School. Grade School --> Junior High --> High School.

That's how it was for me too. K-6 was grade school, 7-8 was Junior High and then 9-12 was High School. (Junior High and High School were in the same building).
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote