Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-20-2009, 06:08 PM   #51
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Well, the Colts didn't have a 1st in 2004. With our 2nd, we got Bob Sanders. not a bad pick at all.

While I hate to give DeTox credit, he deserves some props for his praise of Sanders in that commentary thread.

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #52
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Well, the Colts didn't have a 1st in 2004. With our 2nd, we got Bob Sanders. not a bad pick at all.

After that, it's sketchy. Hartsock is a blocking TE that ending up with the Titans. Gilbert Gardner was a bust at LB. Kendyll Pope went even faster. Jason David had some production with us, but was exposed at New Orleans. Jake Scott, the 5th rounder, was a steal and it's still a shame we let him slip away in FA. We got the Sorgi in the 6th, Manning's clipboard holder.

Overall, probably a B-. No 1st rounder hurt. DPOY in Sanders is a huge plus, and some production players on the Super Bowl team.

I think we originally did, but traded back to get Bob Sanders and then traded back again at the end of the 2nd round.

Last edited by Racer : 04-20-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:09 PM   #53
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Looking at the Browns draft makes me want to throw up in my mouth. At least we got some picks for Winslow. Well, we're two GMs past that draft now! Hooray?
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #54
RedHawk00
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Seahawks had a great draft - all those guys minus the 7th round kicker are starters.

2004 - Seattle Seahawks
Rd Sel # Player Position School
1 23 Marcus Tubbs DT Texas
2 53 Michael Boulware DB Florida State
3 84 Sean Locklear G North Carolina State
4 116 Niko Koutouvides LB Purdue
5 157 D.J. Hackett WR Colorado
6 189 Craig Terrill DT Purdue
7 224 Donnie Jones P Louisiana State

I am going to respectfully disagree. Tubbs has never lived up to any talent, I would say Terrill is a better DT than him. Boulware could not cover when it mattered and is no longer with the team, Locklear is a DUI/wife beating away from prison. Niko is good special teamer, Hackett I loved, but they let him go.

When I look at players still on the board that would have filled equivalent needs I just dont think we did well. I was begging for the Hawks to take Gamble, wanted to hit that OSU lighting in a bottle at CB again like Shawn Springs.
RedHawk00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #55
chesapeake
College Starter

I'm inclined to agree more with RedHawk. This draft was bad at the top. Tubbs never played a full season with the Seahawks as a starter and is now looking for work. Boulware's conversion to safety ultimately failed. I don't even think he made it out of camp with the Vikings last season.

In the middle rounds, it got better. Locklear has been a decent starter and is probably a modest value in the 3rd round. Niko was a special teams star but not an NFL-caliber LB. Hackett showed a lot of promise, but injuries got him, too. He is also unsigned atm. Terrill was a great pick in the 6th round and has been a dependable 2nd team lineman.

Donnie Jones showed why you shouldn't draft a punter.

With the flops at the top, and only one current NFL starter and one backup out of the bunch, I don't know how they can grade better than a D+.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #56
Travis
Pro Rookie

I'm not arguing the Seahawks getting a bad grade, but how about some respect for Tubbs here gents? He was an integral piece in helping get the Hawks to the big show but has basically lost his career due to knee injuries since. To say Terrill is a better DT, sure, maybe now, but when he wasn't hurt, the guy was a legit pro bowler in the making.

As for Locklear, give him a bit more credit too. Unless they really revamp their plans, the whole idea is for him to slide across when Walt retires to take over the LT spot. He's likely a better fit there than at RT (his pass pro is better than his run blocking) but has still done a pretty good job at RT in the mean time.

Boulware seemed to have a lot of talent and just never really adapted all that well to safety so yeah, that was a swing and a miss, Hackett has been pretty good when healthy and it's pretty hard to knock a team for trying to shore up their punting situation with a pick that late. Terrill was a decent find that late as a rotational DT.

Had Tubbs not had the injuries he did their grade for this draft would be huge. Even then, nabbing a long term answer at tackle, a pretty good special teamer (Koutouvides), a solid #2 type WR (when healthy) in Hackett and another long time contributor on the line in Terrill isn't all that awful.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #57
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Ugh...of the TEN players the 49ers drafted in 2004, I count 4 as still being on the team, and only 1 is a full time starter...and he is...

Punter - Andy Lee

The other three are...

DT Isaac Sopoaga
S Keith Lewis
CB Shawntae Spencer

Our first round draft pick (#31) WR Rashaun Woods played two years and retired due to injuries. He finished with a total of 7 career receptions.